Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Brother BenjaminBrother Benjamin

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012)
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Pours a great copper amber with a finger of caramel head. OK retention, with so so lacing.

S - Huge grapefruit resinous hoppy aroma, grain and caramel malts

T - Honey, resinous bitter hops, lots of sweet caramel followed by citrus rinds and more honey

M - Light bodied+, decent carbonation, quite drinkable

O - Honey and citrus rind deliciousness

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is dark amber in color with amber highlights. This is one of the darkest IIPA's that I have seen. It is topped with two inches of tan head.

S - The aroma has some caramel malt, alcohol, pine, and honey.

T - The taste starts out with some caramel malt and is quickly overwhelmed by bitter hops. The honey sweetens things a little.

M - Medium.

O - I liked it better on tap which is the case with a lot of beers.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a shaker pint 11/29/2014.

A- Slightly hazy yellow-orange body. Two finger thick, fluffy head with a long retention time. A bit too long, but otherwise nice lacing and film. [4]

S- Honey, grainy malt, biscuit, grapefruity hop resins, a bit of floral and grassy scents as well. Solid, nothing mystifying. [3.5]

F- A bit on the sweet side; sweet up front with honey, biscuit and pale malt sweetness; switched up with a moderately bitter floral, grassy finish. A bit of grapefruit permeates the whole thing as well. [3.5]

M- Medium bodied, nice carbonation, a bit soft and mellow. Not difficult to drink by any means despite its 10.1% ABV. [3.75]

O- Decent DIPA, nothing to write home about. It's on the sweet side but not as bitter as you'd expect from a big DIPA like this. [3.5]

Final score: 3.55

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to ROBSTARR for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a TBBC pint glass.

A: Hazy, deep caramelly brown, with a half-finger's worth of off-white head and moderate visible carbonation.

S: Sweet caramel malts, some pine and bitter hops, and a restrained booziness.

T: Follows the nose. Quite malty with significant caramel sweetness. Moderate hops (I get pine, grass, and citrus pith), but they're nearly overwhelmed by the sweet malty boozy caramel flavors. Hop bitter and alcohol heat in the finish.

M: Thick, sticky body, low carbonation sensation, and the alcohol is a bit too prominent.

O: I think this toes the DIPA/barleywine line, but it does come down on the right side - barely. Too much caramel malts for me to really enjoy it, but it's not bad.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into an Idle Hands tulip.

A - Pours a fairly hazy, deep amber color with a short cap of khacki foam that falls to an uneven, foamy collar rather quickly. Sparse traces of lacing are left on the glass.

S - Hmm, interesting aroma...extremely fruity - I am thinking strawberries more than anything with a touch of kiwi mixed in - not your normal DIPA aroma profile. Not really getting any of the usual pine/citrus/tropical fruitiness (actually as it warms, the aroma turns more tropical in nature) I would expect. Earthy malt profile underneath. Not picking up any distinct honey aroma despite it listed on the label as an ingredient. I like this aroma, but I am not associating this with a DIPA at all.

T - Not at all like the aroma...more of a typical DIPA in character. Caramelly malt profile with some earthy aspects carried from the aroma, maybe even a faint trace of roast. Dirty, earthy hop bitterness too that turns a bit citrusy, but more grassy on each exhale after a sip. Some tropical fruitiness, rather estery fermentation overall. Bitterness turns from earthy to slightly medicinal through each sip, with a lingering effect after the swallow. Really faint traces of honey, which I would likely have missed if I wasn't specifically looking for it.

M - Mild traces of boozy warmth in a medium/full body with a low carbonation. Earthy, grassy, medicinal, a bit tropical. A bit off of center for the style.

O - Outstanding - no. Good...yes. A bit different. I think this would stand out in a crowd of DIPA's although not always for positive reasons. A fairly unique combination of aromas and flavors that catch me off guard, but aren't unpleasant either. I don't think I would go on any kind of quest to find this again, but it is an interesting beer worth sampling, if for no other reason than to try something a bit different.

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle, $4.49 at Drakes Party Center in Kalamazoo.

Pours dark amber with a beige, fluffy head of two inches. A solid skim coat and plenty of stringy lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with pungent piney resins, dank-drizzled candies, and fruit skins. A hint of spice-dusted leather and caramel follows through.

On the full side of medium bodied with a chewy, tacky mouthfeel.

Sweet malt starts the palate but a semi-numbing hop assault quickly follows. Resinous and piney with plenty of spicy bite and warming alcohol.

Finishes with lingering malt, piney hops, and boozy alcohol.

Tasty beer but more of a Barleywine than an IIPA. The malt character is almost as big as the hops, which are one-dimensional as well.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%