Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Brother BenjaminBrother Benjamin

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

No freshness info apparent on the bottle. Poured in to snifter.

A - Hazy medium amber with a thin coating of dirty white head.

S - Pungent pine aroma up front with some tangerine and grapefruit. A light honey malt sweetness is also evident.

T - An assertive bitterness up front with pine, grapefruit and tangerine flavours and a fairly prominent honey malt sweetness that provides good balance.

M - Medium body, sticky. Lots of resinous hop oils. Light carbonation.

04-06-2013 14:47:12 | More by TheSevenDuffs
cosmicevan

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

many thanks to zaphog for hooking this one up in a recent BIF. enjoyed from a mystery brewing tulip.

a - poured a fairly deep chestnut brown. has a real barleywine look to it. thin off white cream colored head that hung out for a while and had a creamy look to it.

s - nose resembles a cross between a barleywine and an amber with a hint of cherry that almost resembles cough medicine.

t - taste is also somewhat unexpected having the same amber barleywine vibe with a hint of cough syrup cherry.

m - mentholated vibe from booziness. almost vodka like in the booziness.

o - overall, this wasn't bad, but for a iipa, there are a ton of better options. glad for the taste, but not something i'll be seeking out again.

04-06-2013 03:51:17 | More by cosmicevan

03-27-2013 00:06:05 | More by DrIPA
Mitchster

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

$3.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Maris Otter Pale, Belgian Munich, Belgian Aromatic, Caramel Malt 60, Honey Malt, Beet sugar and Clover Honey. Hopped with Columbus and Cascade. Fermented with "House yeast".
114 ibu, 10.1% ABV, 15º Lovibond

Pours out to a cloudy light brown, very dark for an Imperial IPA. Lots of sediment despite sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks and a careful decant. Forms a modest light yellow head with good retention and solid sheets of lace. Carbonation is somewhat mild, ~ 2.0 carbs. The aroma is good, but the hops are not quite as pungent as I would expect for the style (if you're using just columbus and cascade, it's not gonna happen). Slightly bready, boozy, moderate munich and C60 nose. Mouthfeel is fullbodied, lightly boozy, soft owing to the mild carbonation and the finish is moderately astringent due to the hops. Big malt body, some peppery alcohols in the middle, dry harsh fusel finish, firm grassy bitterness.

Well, it's a good start but it needs some work. I would cut out the belgian aromatic, change the c60 to c40 and add some Simcoe and Amarillo to the mix to get a more cohesive flavor going. I would also ensure good oxygenation, temp control and pitch rate to cut back on the fusels. Worth a try but nothing I would buy again considering the exorbitant price.

03-26-2013 02:49:58 | More by Mitchster

AlMarzo

03-23-2013 05:53:37 | More by AlMarzo
StoutHunter

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

03-21-2013 03:52:00 | More by StoutHunter
BHansen214

03-20-2013 22:35:13 | More by BHansen214
superspak

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours very hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger dense cream colored head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big orange zest, grapefruit, orange rind, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, bread, floral earthiness, and pine resin. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop notes; with good malt balance that isn’t overdone. Taste of orange zest, pineapple, orange rind, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zest, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, pine resin, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a solid malt balance that isn’t too strong; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, lightly slick, and lightly crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent DIPA! Great balance and complexity of hop flavors with solid malt balance; and dangerously smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

03-19-2013 04:12:45 | More by superspak

03-15-2013 11:19:37 | More by beergorrilla
Bitter_Echo

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours that thick, dark, orangey ruddy color, that isn't all that great to look at, but often is very good. I like ales filtered or not, so, no big deal here, but really not a looker either. Anyway, smells floral, complex, somewhat boozy and sweet with little malt forwardness (a good thing). Taste is great. Mouthfeel explodes, and at the right temperature, the bitterness just sings. Great echo of the hops...really carries along. I think temperature of this one is more than key: mid-fifities and this DIPA flies. I really liked this fresh bottle. I'd buy a 4/6.

03-15-2013 00:25:37 | More by Bitter_Echo