Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Brother BenjaminBrother Benjamin

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012)
3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz bottle, hazy light brown colored body with a frothy, tan head that holds good retention & leaves chunky lacing. Looks more like a barley wine to me though. Aromas are fresh, earthy, citric, floral hops, backed by a huge dose of caramel, brown sugar, honey. Tastes are similar to aroma: loads of caramel, brown sugar, bready malt, honey, with earthy, citric hops, a bit boozy and hot, while bitterness lingers on. There is some diacetyl that is more noticeable as it warms. Once again, I'm thinking this is more like a hopped up barley wine. Mouth-feel is creamy, smooth, fullish body. Overall, I like this more as a barley wine. I was really excited about it, but I found it to be confusing as the malt profile is so strong. Decent complexity, just not a DIPA to me.

barnzy78, May 23, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

IPAchris, Apr 10, 2013
2.49/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a reddish copper amber color. Produced some good white froth and lacing.

(S)- A fairly spiced yet sweet caramel malt body meets a yeasty bubblegum, lemon, and grapefruit citrus. A bit odd with the yeast acting a bit strange in an almost hefeweiss type of aroma.

(T)- A touch strange. Kind of spiced with a potent yeast profile. Almost bubblegum in flavor with a potent caramel sweetness.

(M)- The carbonation level is fine, but the yeast really seems to be off-centered and causing this to be a bit off considering this is supposed to be a DIPA.

(O)- Not bad, but definitely a strange version of a DIPA for sure. Not one of Greenbush's best.

sweemzander, Sep 30, 2013
2.71/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

It's good to see new breweries springing up and bottling their stuff in my home state. If there's one thing I'll never complain about - it's having too much beer to chose from. Brother Benjamin pours a murky, swamp-brown color, only showing a faint copper essence near the very bottom of the glass. Save for that area, it's completely opaque with lots of little yeast-looking sediment floating about. The foamy, thin-bubbled, khaki head is probably the saving grace of the appearance as it has nice staying power and leaves some traces of lacing behind.

Some sweet grapefruit rinds jump out at my nostrils right away - the sweetness quickly turns into a heavier bitterness that's very pungent to the senses. Some hints of spice and white pepper, giving the hops an herbal and earthy feel. Some light honey sweetness squeezes its way into things, too. I'm picking up a very light tartness that occasionally shows up and occasionally does not. Hard to pinpoint or really put my finger on, but it's definitely something to note. Heavy malt underneath - lots of bread and even a good dose of caramel. Looks like this could be a malt-heavy, East Coast style DIPA.

Well, well, not only is it a malt-heavy DIPA, it's a malt-ONLY DIPA. Just kidding... but, seriously. This malt bill in this bad boy is absolutely huge - so much so that it even overpowers the hop bill just a tad. Huge bread flavors segue into a caramel and toffee backbone that injects some seemingly residual sweetness into the brew. Hops seem secondary, surprisingly enough; herbal, ashy, and loaded with a white pepper flavor. Right away, I notice that the flavor is quite different than the aroma. Not so sure I agree with the disconnect there.

Any detectable fruit in the flavor (which is plenty) is typically of the "bitter" type - meaning lots of pith, peel, and spicy zest flavors rather than the juicy or sweeter type of flavors you'd get from something like Citra hops. I want to say orange zest and grapefruit pith are the most notable fruits in this one. Booze is apparent - not too surprising given the 10+% ABV, although there are plenty of similarly injected beers that hide the alcohol much more elegantly. Aftertaste is reasonably dry and sustainably bitter. Lots of fading caramel notes, bitter fruits, and ashy hops. The body on this is huge - close you eyes and it feels like a stout. Sticky and thick on the palate with medium carbonation.

I don't like this one as much as everyone else, and perhaps it's because I'm not particularly partial to the malt-heavy IPAs. Or at least in this case, I wasn't the biggest fan of the hop bill that was chosen to pair with the heavy malt underbody. I was able to force it down, but it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. Or ever. Just too sweet and fat on the palate.

tectactoe, Apr 16, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -57%

Thanks to a good guy, who shall remain anonymous, for this extra in a recent trade full of Michigan goodness. Popped open while watching a bit of The Incredible & poured ably by my 10 year old Cicerone-in-training. 12 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour is dark murky orange shot through with muddy brown; very viscous. Nose runs along in the same vein, the hops are earthy & muddled while simultaneously slightly sweetened. Good? Weird.

Brother Benjamin is malting all over the place. Big old sweet malts overcome the hops, the nose in profile is more like an old ale than an IPA. The hops match the nose, farmland dirt & dankness. Drinkable? Ah, no.

Blech. Six or seven sips of this leave me yearning for clean hops or deep malts or a barrel or strychnine. Anything else. This is a malt-bomb coupled up with dank earth, not a combo I'd ever seek out. Drain-pour.

maximum12, May 26, 2013

jophish17, Jun 08, 2014

smartassboiler, Jun 30, 2013

Holland, Mar 12, 2013
3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A double IPA from Michigan brewed with honey. What is Hopslam? Nope.

A: Very dark, slightly pastel brown in color. Forms a modest sized off-white, light tan colored head. Little retention. Some light lacing.

S: Aroma is quite earthy. Very woody, almost plywood-like, but the pine resin notes do help keep this one from smelling like a piece of furniture.

T: Taste is similar, but more expressive. Earthy and woody, with notes of pine and balsa wood. Lots of caramel malt with a mild sweetness.

M: Full bodied with lower carbonation and a very strong bitterness. Dry, bordering on astringent.

O: Well, this is certainly a DIPA. The honey barely shows up anymore than a fleeting bitterness, while the hops are old school earthy and pine. None of that new-fangled juicy Citra or tropical Galaxy shit here. In the end, a pretty good beer. I like the heavier malts with the earthy hops, but, at $15/4-pack, I can't justify the price.

Florida9, Jul 20, 2013

warnerry, Feb 28, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

many thanks to zaphog for hooking this one up in a recent BIF. enjoyed from a mystery brewing tulip.

a - poured a fairly deep chestnut brown. has a real barleywine look to it. thin off white cream colored head that hung out for a while and had a creamy look to it.

s - nose resembles a cross between a barleywine and an amber with a hint of cherry that almost resembles cough medicine.

t - taste is also somewhat unexpected having the same amber barleywine vibe with a hint of cough syrup cherry.

m - mentholated vibe from booziness. almost vodka like in the booziness.

o - overall, this wasn't bad, but for a iipa, there are a ton of better options. glad for the taste, but not something i'll be seeking out again.

cosmicevan, Apr 06, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Spartan213!

Distinct copper color with more of a honey and dark orange near the thinner edges. Persistent, creamy, khaki colored head. Leaves irregular, large spots of stick down the glass. Pretty IPA.

Dank citrus (grapefruit) aroma, combined with cookie malt sweetness, definite honey character, and just a bit of alcohol presence.

Moderate to highly bitter, grapefruit zest and flesh, shortbread cookie sweetness, and a bit of booze combine. This is quite drinkable for the known ABV. Unsurprisingly, this reminds me of Hopslam, though perhaps a bit less refined.

Medium to near-full in body for the style, with moderate but creamy carbonation. Very drinkable.

Coming away quite impressed with this one, though I had no idea what to expect.

ehammond1, Apr 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

tommy5, Aug 31, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

gtermi, Dec 26, 2013

bigred89, Jun 09, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Hazy dark orange pour. A thick fine bubbled white head. Retained very well.

Aroma, Some resiny pine and citrus. Fairly balanced with some malty candied caramel.

Taste, yellow raisin and caramel. Quickly goes into heavy citrus. Grapefruit. A very dry finish, with the bitter lingering nicely.

Probably a little over medium bodied. Creamy and coating, but the dryness keeps it all in check. Alcohol is very well hidden, drinks dangerously easy.

One of the better new DIPAs I've had in a while. Would recommend even if just to try. Thumbs up for this one Greenbush.

Bung, Jul 30, 2013
3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

$3.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Maris Otter Pale, Belgian Munich, Belgian Aromatic, Caramel Malt 60, Honey Malt, Beet sugar and Clover Honey. Hopped with Columbus and Cascade. Fermented with "House yeast".
114 ibu, 10.1% ABV, 15º Lovibond

Pours out to a cloudy light brown, very dark for an Imperial IPA. Lots of sediment despite sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks and a careful decant. Forms a modest light yellow head with good retention and solid sheets of lace. Carbonation is somewhat mild, ~ 2.0 carbs. The aroma is good, but the hops are not quite as pungent as I would expect for the style (if you're using just columbus and cascade, it's not gonna happen). Slightly bready, boozy, moderate munich and C60 nose. Mouthfeel is fullbodied, lightly boozy, soft owing to the mild carbonation and the finish is moderately astringent due to the hops. Big malt body, some peppery alcohols in the middle, dry harsh fusel finish, firm grassy bitterness.

Well, it's a good start but it needs some work. I would cut out the belgian aromatic, change the c60 to c40 and add some Simcoe and Amarillo to the mix to get a more cohesive flavor going. I would also ensure good oxygenation, temp control and pitch rate to cut back on the fusels. Worth a try but nothing I would buy again considering the exorbitant price.

Mitchster, Mar 26, 2013

akang, Jul 24, 2013

CRJMellor, May 13, 2013

hollywood_15063, Apr 12, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle brought in to share by Curran.

Pours a golden amber color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite strongly of caramel malt and honey, almost feels like a barleywine. A little bit of pine is noted, but it doesn't really smell hoppy at all.

This definitely drinks like a barleywine more so than a DIPA. There's a bit of cloying honey, caramel malt, brown sugar, some bitterness, a bit of pine. At least no alcohol is present. Unfortunately, it it was a barleywine, it wouldn't really be a good barleywine.

This one has a thick syrupy mouthfeel, and a big body, with low carbonation. Not all that drinkable.

This one didn't quite work, I'm not sure why it's rated the way it is.

GreesyFizeek, Sep 04, 2014

hilgart1, May 04, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

jrenihan, Aug 25, 2014

mrebeka, Apr 28, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

StoutHunter, Mar 21, 2013