Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Brother BenjaminBrother Benjamin

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Georgia

06-08-2014 19:56:27 | More by jophish17
tectactoe

2.71/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

It's good to see new breweries springing up and bottling their stuff in my home state. If there's one thing I'll never complain about - it's having too much beer to chose from. Brother Benjamin pours a murky, swamp-brown color, only showing a faint copper essence near the very bottom of the glass. Save for that area, it's completely opaque with lots of little yeast-looking sediment floating about. The foamy, thin-bubbled, khaki head is probably the saving grace of the appearance as it has nice staying power and leaves some traces of lacing behind.

Some sweet grapefruit rinds jump out at my nostrils right away - the sweetness quickly turns into a heavier bitterness that's very pungent to the senses. Some hints of spice and white pepper, giving the hops an herbal and earthy feel. Some light honey sweetness squeezes its way into things, too. I'm picking up a very light tartness that occasionally shows up and occasionally does not. Hard to pinpoint or really put my finger on, but it's definitely something to note. Heavy malt underneath - lots of bread and even a good dose of caramel. Looks like this could be a malt-heavy, East Coast style DIPA.

Well, well, not only is it a malt-heavy DIPA, it's a malt-ONLY DIPA. Just kidding... but, seriously. This malt bill in this bad boy is absolutely huge - so much so that it even overpowers the hop bill just a tad. Huge bread flavors segue into a caramel and toffee backbone that injects some seemingly residual sweetness into the brew. Hops seem secondary, surprisingly enough; herbal, ashy, and loaded with a white pepper flavor. Right away, I notice that the flavor is quite different than the aroma. Not so sure I agree with the disconnect there.

Any detectable fruit in the flavor (which is plenty) is typically of the "bitter" type - meaning lots of pith, peel, and spicy zest flavors rather than the juicy or sweeter type of flavors you'd get from something like Citra hops. I want to say orange zest and grapefruit pith are the most notable fruits in this one. Booze is apparent - not too surprising given the 10+% ABV, although there are plenty of similarly injected beers that hide the alcohol much more elegantly. Aftertaste is reasonably dry and sustainably bitter. Lots of fading caramel notes, bitter fruits, and ashy hops. The body on this is huge - close you eyes and it feels like a stout. Sticky and thick on the palate with medium carbonation.

I don't like this one as much as everyone else, and perhaps it's because I'm not particularly partial to the malt-heavy IPAs. Or at least in this case, I wasn't the biggest fan of the hop bill that was chosen to pair with the heavy malt underbody. I was able to force it down, but it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. Or ever. Just too sweet and fat on the palate.

04-16-2013 16:23:29 | More by tectactoe
Holland

03-12-2013 01:21:41 | More by Holland
smartassboiler

06-30-2013 18:00:53 | More by smartassboiler
ehammond1

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Spartan213!

Distinct copper color with more of a honey and dark orange near the thinner edges. Persistent, creamy, khaki colored head. Leaves irregular, large spots of stick down the glass. Pretty IPA.

Dank citrus (grapefruit) aroma, combined with cookie malt sweetness, definite honey character, and just a bit of alcohol presence.

Moderate to highly bitter, grapefruit zest and flesh, shortbread cookie sweetness, and a bit of booze combine. This is quite drinkable for the known ABV. Unsurprisingly, this reminds me of Hopslam, though perhaps a bit less refined.

Medium to near-full in body for the style, with moderate but creamy carbonation. Very drinkable.

Coming away quite impressed with this one, though I had no idea what to expect.

04-09-2013 00:18:57 | More by ehammond1
Florida9

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A double IPA from Michigan brewed with honey. What is Hopslam? Nope.

A: Very dark, slightly pastel brown in color. Forms a modest sized off-white, light tan colored head. Little retention. Some light lacing.

S: Aroma is quite earthy. Very woody, almost plywood-like, but the pine resin notes do help keep this one from smelling like a piece of furniture.

T: Taste is similar, but more expressive. Earthy and woody, with notes of pine and balsa wood. Lots of caramel malt with a mild sweetness.

M: Full bodied with lower carbonation and a very strong bitterness. Dry, bordering on astringent.

O: Well, this is certainly a DIPA. The honey barely shows up anymore than a fleeting bitterness, while the hops are old school earthy and pine. None of that new-fangled juicy Citra or tropical Galaxy shit here. In the end, a pretty good beer. I like the heavier malts with the earthy hops, but, at $15/4-pack, I can't justify the price.

07-20-2013 01:30:07 | More by Florida9
cosmicevan

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

many thanks to zaphog for hooking this one up in a recent BIF. enjoyed from a mystery brewing tulip.

a - poured a fairly deep chestnut brown. has a real barleywine look to it. thin off white cream colored head that hung out for a while and had a creamy look to it.

s - nose resembles a cross between a barleywine and an amber with a hint of cherry that almost resembles cough medicine.

t - taste is also somewhat unexpected having the same amber barleywine vibe with a hint of cough syrup cherry.

m - mentholated vibe from booziness. almost vodka like in the booziness.

o - overall, this wasn't bad, but for a iipa, there are a ton of better options. glad for the taste, but not something i'll be seeking out again.

04-06-2013 03:51:17 | More by cosmicevan
warnerry

02-28-2013 01:11:18 | More by warnerry
gtermi

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

12-26-2013 06:30:14 | More by gtermi
Bung

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Hazy dark orange pour. A thick fine bubbled white head. Retained very well.

Aroma, Some resiny pine and citrus. Fairly balanced with some malty candied caramel.

Taste, yellow raisin and caramel. Quickly goes into heavy citrus. Grapefruit. A very dry finish, with the bitter lingering nicely.

Probably a little over medium bodied. Creamy and coating, but the dryness keeps it all in check. Alcohol is very well hidden, drinks dangerously easy.

One of the better new DIPAs I've had in a while. Would recommend even if just to try. Thumbs up for this one Greenbush.

07-30-2013 01:40:16 | More by Bung
tommy5

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

08-31-2013 22:59:55 | More by tommy5
Mitchster

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

$3.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Maris Otter Pale, Belgian Munich, Belgian Aromatic, Caramel Malt 60, Honey Malt, Beet sugar and Clover Honey. Hopped with Columbus and Cascade. Fermented with "House yeast".
114 ibu, 10.1% ABV, 15º Lovibond

Pours out to a cloudy light brown, very dark for an Imperial IPA. Lots of sediment despite sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks and a careful decant. Forms a modest light yellow head with good retention and solid sheets of lace. Carbonation is somewhat mild, ~ 2.0 carbs. The aroma is good, but the hops are not quite as pungent as I would expect for the style (if you're using just columbus and cascade, it's not gonna happen). Slightly bready, boozy, moderate munich and C60 nose. Mouthfeel is fullbodied, lightly boozy, soft owing to the mild carbonation and the finish is moderately astringent due to the hops. Big malt body, some peppery alcohols in the middle, dry harsh fusel finish, firm grassy bitterness.

Well, it's a good start but it needs some work. I would cut out the belgian aromatic, change the c60 to c40 and add some Simcoe and Amarillo to the mix to get a more cohesive flavor going. I would also ensure good oxygenation, temp control and pitch rate to cut back on the fusels. Worth a try but nothing I would buy again considering the exorbitant price.

03-26-2013 02:49:58 | More by Mitchster

akang

07-24-2013 06:46:22 | More by akang
StoutHunter

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

03-21-2013 03:52:00 | More by StoutHunter

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is dark amber in color with amber highlights. This is one of the darkest IIPA's that I have seen. It is topped with two inches of tan head.

S - The aroma has some caramel malt, alcohol, pine, and honey.

T - The taste starts out with some caramel malt and is quickly overwhelmed by bitter hops. The honey sweetens things a little.

M - Medium.

O - I liked it better on tap which is the case with a lot of beers.

01-31-2013 18:34:06 | More by buschbeer

Stinger80OH

12-19-2013 14:33:31 | More by Stinger80OH
macrosmatic

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to ROBSTARR for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a TBBC pint glass.

A: Hazy, deep caramelly brown, with a half-finger's worth of off-white head and moderate visible carbonation.

S: Sweet caramel malts, some pine and bitter hops, and a restrained booziness.

T: Follows the nose. Quite malty with significant caramel sweetness. Moderate hops (I get pine, grass, and citrus pith), but they're nearly overwhelmed by the sweet malty boozy caramel flavors. Hop bitter and alcohol heat in the finish.

M: Thick, sticky body, low carbonation sensation, and the alcohol is a bit too prominent.

O: I think this toes the DIPA/barleywine line, but it does come down on the right side - barely. Too much caramel malts for me to really enjoy it, but it's not bad.

06-23-2013 17:39:05 | More by macrosmatic