Doomslayer - Greenbush Brewing Company

Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by Bung:
3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a four pack of Greenbush's Doomslayer last week at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but a Brown Ale brewed with maple sap sounds a little interesting and I thought it was worth a shot, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/27/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good design to it and I think it's slightly eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of brighter brown color when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup like aroma that's followed by the malts which impart some nice toasted malt and sweet malt aromas. Up next comes a light nutty aroma with a little more sweet and toasted malts coming through. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, the maple sap is noticeable.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with that maple sap being the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup flavor that leads right into the malts which impart those same sweet malt and toasted malt aspects that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a noticeable nutty flavor with just a little bit of bitterness and some more sweetness and it had a maple and slightly nutty aftertaste.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of the style, I've only had a few Imperial Brown Ale and with the maple aspect this one reminds me of a lighter version of Shorts Woodmaster that isn't nearly as nutty. This beer has nice drinkability it's smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be my limit, it might get too filling after more than one. What I like the most about this beer was how well the maple sap aspect worked with it, it made it sweeter, but it added some nice subtle flavors. What I like the least about this beer is that I wish the nutty aspect showed up a little more. I would buy this beer again, but it's nothing I'm going to stock up on and I'll be interested to see how it ages. All in all I liked this beer, it was pretty much just what it said it was and in the end I enjoyed it. IT's not a favorite Greenbush beer, but it is one of the better Imperial Brown Ales that I've had. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep it up.

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 3/26/2015. Pours hazy nearly opaque dark brown color with a 1 finger dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big maple, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toast, dark bread, raisin, plum, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light pepper/pine, and yeast/roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, maple, earthy hops, and light-moderate fruity yeast notes; with good strength. Taste of big maple, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toast, dark bread, raisin, plum, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light pepper/pine, and yeast/roasted earthiness. Fair amount of pine/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of maple, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toast, dark bread, raisin, plum, light nuttiness, light pepper, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice robustness, complexity, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, maple, earthy hops, and light-moderate fruity yeast flavors; with a great roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warmth lingering after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice imperial brown ale! All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, maple, earthy hops, and light-moderate fruity yeast flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours near black with a 2 finger tan head. Blotches and trails of lacing remain on the glass.

S- chocolate, maple, and some pepper.

T- caramel, lots of chocolate, light roast, maple syrup, some pine bitterness.

M- medium body and carbonation. Slick with some effervescence.

O- good beer with lots of chocolate. Maple adds some sweetness and has enough bitterness to round out this beer.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

not a bad maple infused brew. I was expecting more of a "maple" flavor, but more of a resin forward nutty pine flavor. some maple aftertaste was there, and the flavor as a whole was better than average, just not what i expected.
the bottle was young, so I figure more maple essence will creep out after a year or so.
I should have saved one, but didn't. don't know if I will buy again to try. maybe someone will though.
the beer itself is on par with the best from greenbush, a dark brown ale, with bitterness that lingers, aforementioned sap resin on the tongue with a bitter finish and upfront caramel, hops, alcohol, and some dry sweetness.
killer ale, just expected more maple. i love maple.

to view more.