Microbrew Invitational

Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 92
Reviews by Bung:

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.9/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Exceptional. All the crisp, smooth, malty drinkability of a brown with the high sweetness and an almost barrel like character from the maple syrup

3.71/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle received as an extra in a trade recently.

This one pours a dark rustic looking brown, with a half inch head, and just a small amount of lacing.

Smells like toasted brown bread, bittersweet caramel, and earthy maple syrup.

This is a pretty solid but average brown ale, definitely elevated by the use of the maple sap. Using sap rather than the syrup gives it a more subtle, less sweet and more earthy maple flavor. There's the classic caramel/toffee/nutty/brown bread brown ale flavor as well, with some steely pine flavor as well, most likely from hops.

This is medium bodied, with a toasty and fairly crisp mouthfeel, and a moderate level of carbonation.

This was pretty solid, but not spectacular.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

3.79/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a four pack of Greenbush's Doomslayer last week at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but a Brown Ale brewed with maple sap sounds a little interesting and I thought it was worth a shot, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/27/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good design to it and I think it's slightly eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of brighter brown color when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup like aroma that's followed by the malts which impart some nice toasted malt and sweet malt aromas. Up next comes a light nutty aroma with a little more sweet and toasted malts coming through. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, the maple sap is noticeable.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with that maple sap being the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup flavor that leads right into the malts which impart those same sweet malt and toasted malt aspects that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a noticeable nutty flavor with just a little bit of bitterness and some more sweetness and it had a maple and slightly nutty aftertaste.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of the style, I've only had a few Imperial Brown Ale and with the maple aspect this one reminds me of a lighter version of Shorts Woodmaster that isn't nearly as nutty. This beer has nice drinkability it's smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be my limit, it might get too filling after more than one. What I like the most about this beer was how well the maple sap aspect worked with it, it made it sweeter, but it added some nice subtle flavors. What I like the least about this beer is that I wish the nutty aspect showed up a little more. I would buy this beer again, but it's nothing I'm going to stock up on and I'll be interested to see how it ages. All in all I liked this beer, it was pretty much just what it said it was and in the end I enjoyed it. IT's not a favorite Greenbush beer, but it is one of the better Imperial Brown Ales that I've had. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep it up.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%