Doomslayer - Greenbush Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 48 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by kawilliams81:
4.14/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours near black with a 2 finger tan head. Blotches and trails of lacing remain on the glass.

S- chocolate, maple, and some pepper.

T- caramel, lots of chocolate, light roast, maple syrup, some pine bitterness.

M- medium body and carbonation. Slick with some effervescence.

O- good beer with lots of chocolate. Maple adds some sweetness and has enough bitterness to round out this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a four pack of Greenbush's Doomslayer last week at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but a Brown Ale brewed with maple sap sounds a little interesting and I thought it was worth a shot, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/27/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good design to it and I think it's slightly eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on more of brighter brown color when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup like aroma that's followed by the malts which impart some nice toasted malt and sweet malt aromas. Up next comes a light nutty aroma with a little more sweet and toasted malts coming through. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, the maple sap is noticeable.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with that maple sap being the first to show up and it imparts a light maple syrup flavor that leads right into the malts which impart those same sweet malt and toasted malt aspects that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a noticeable nutty flavor with just a little bit of bitterness and some more sweetness and it had a maple and slightly nutty aftertaste.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of the style, I've only had a few Imperial Brown Ale and with the maple aspect this one reminds me of a lighter version of Shorts Woodmaster that isn't nearly as nutty. This beer has nice drinkability it's smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be my limit, it might get too filling after more than one. What I like the most about this beer was how well the maple sap aspect worked with it, it made it sweeter, but it added some nice subtle flavors. What I like the least about this beer is that I wish the nutty aspect showed up a little more. I would buy this beer again, but it's nothing I'm going to stock up on and I'll be interested to see how it ages. All in all I liked this beer, it was pretty much just what it said it was and in the end I enjoyed it. IT's not a favorite Greenbush beer, but it is one of the better Imperial Brown Ales that I've had. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep it up.

to view more.