Remnant Of Dragon - Greenbush Brewing Company

Remnant Of DragonRemnant Of Dragon

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tectactoe on 05-15-2013)
Reviews by giblet:
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

ordered this at their brew pub in Sawyer Michigan. this is a gem! served on tap in a tulip glass. one inch of head with excellent lacing down the glass. good steady carbonation. very hopped aroma, which I love. very hoppy taste that at first tingles the mouth and tongue and then is a bit overpowering, which I love.

this is an excellent hopped red ale. color is red/copper. full and rich.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap in Ashley's Westland for the Shorts vs. Greenbush Throwdown of Champions. Remnant pours a slightly red-tinted copper color with some bright orange hues popping through around the edges. It's surprisingly opaque and topped with a long lasting, frothy cream head, slightly darker than beige in color.

There's no doubt that this beer is hopped up from the second I bring my nose to it. Hoppy, full of pine, mildly resinous, and just a touch earthy. As with most reds, the bulky hop bill is substantially countered by an equally large malt bill; toasted caramels, light toffee, and plentiful bready malts. Shown mostly in the back-end, the hops induce a mild citric character, also. Somewhat reminiscent of Bell's special "This One Goes To 11 Ale" release. I'm digging it.

Remnant of Dragon is hoppy as hell - I'd go so far as to say it's even much hoppier than the aroma makes it seem. A bomb of citric and leafy hops explodes from the first sip, scorching the palate and taking no prisoners. With temperature, the hops start to show a heavier floral side, but pines, leaves, and oils are much more accurate descriptors.

This beer kind of plays a nice gradient from hoppy to malty; it starts off much like a hop bomb, tearing your tongue up right out of the gate. But just before your palate is ruined, the hops give way to a river of heavy caramel malts; some toffee, nuts, and toasted crackers are also relevant. It's bitter, but not out of hand at any times, and the bitterness fades softly into the aftertaste, along with lots of sweet, residual caramel malt flavors and just a sprinkle of hop. Medium-heavy bodied, oily and barely sticky on the palate; nice carbonation, perfect for the style.

Definitely my favorite offering from Greenbush for the day. Reminded me of a "more hoppy, less citric" version of This One Goes To 11 Ale by Bell's. Or a slightly stronger, more out of kilter version of Nugget Nectar. A very nice drinking red ale with plenty of hops to keep the hop heads happy. Drinks much easier than 9% ABV, too, which can either be a good thing or a dangerous think, depending on where you are.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Remnant of Dragon last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer last winter and I liked it. Now that it's available in bottles I thought I needed to get one to review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes good with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice caramel burnt orange color that took on more of a ruby amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy very light tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a lot of fruity hop aroma with some citrus, topical fruit and berry like aromas with a nice pineapple orange juice like aroma sticking out the most with a little bit of floral hops showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart some toasted malt, caramel malt, caramel, bread crust and sweet malt like aromas with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a really good aroma I really like the strong fruity hops aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with no single malty aspect sticking out the most and there's some doughy yeast in the background along with a noticeable alcohol flavor that is just slightly warming. Up next comes the hops which impart a higher amount of medium bitterness that's right on the border of being highly bitter, this time the other fruits are lighter and it's the berry flavors that seem to stick out the most along with some piney and floral hops showing up in the background and it had a berry hops like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, even though the hop profile was a little different from the aroma I still thought it was good and it worked well with this beer.

M- A little smooth, just slightly warming, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a big hoppy Red Ale, there were no off flavors and there wasn't anything that really seemed to be out of place. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, just slightly warming, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one or two would be enough for me any more than that and it might start to wear on me a little and I think it made for a nice fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was for sure the highlight of this beer and I really liked the hop profile. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly warming alcohol, it wasn't a big deal, but i thought it could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again and I might even think about getting a four pack of it and I would for sure get it again if they choose to release it next year. I recommend this to anyone who likes big hoppy Red Ales, this one fits into that category nicely. Overall I was pretty happy with this beer, it turned out to be good just as good as I remember and I think the bottled version had a little better aroma. This is one of the better big hoppy Red Ale that I've had and I think it's one of the better Greenbush beers I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep up the good work.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%