Remnant Of Dragon - Greenbush Brewing Company

Remnant Of DragonRemnant Of Dragon

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tectactoe on 05-15-2013)

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/31/2014. Pours lightly hazy deep reddish orange color with a 2 finger dense light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of huge grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, pineapple, peach, mango, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, caramel, toffee, toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Incredible aromas with great complexity of huge citrus/tropical hops and moderate dark malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, pineapple, peach, mango, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, caramel, toffee, toast, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, pineapple, peach, mango, orange peel, pine, caramel, toffee, toast, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity and robustness of big citrus/tropical hops and moderate dark malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, moderately creamy, and lightly slick/sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome imperial red style. All around great complexity and balance of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate dark malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Freaking delicious. I've tried a few Greenbush beers that missed the target for me, but they hit it here. Nice pine flavor, and good malt, too. Available in 4 packs or @ $ 3.50 single 12oz (I purchased within 30 miles of Sawyer, where Greenbush is located.) Well worth it. Tempted to give a 4.5 score. Fat Tire is weak crap compared to this, but 3x less expensive. I can agree with comparing it to the Troegs, Stone, and Green Flash Ales.

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Well, this isnt retired.

I just had one bottled 11/7/14

If you like Imperial reds, this is the beer for you.

Beautiful initial caramel malt followed by a very piney hop taste.

Outstanding

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Remnant of Dragon last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer last winter and I liked it. Now that it's available in bottles I thought I needed to get one to review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes good with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice caramel burnt orange color that took on more of a ruby amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy very light tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a lot of fruity hop aroma with some citrus, topical fruit and berry like aromas with a nice pineapple orange juice like aroma sticking out the most with a little bit of floral hops showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart some toasted malt, caramel malt, caramel, bread crust and sweet malt like aromas with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a really good aroma I really like the strong fruity hops aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with no single malty aspect sticking out the most and there's some doughy yeast in the background along with a noticeable alcohol flavor that is just slightly warming. Up next comes the hops which impart a higher amount of medium bitterness that's right on the border of being highly bitter, this time the other fruits are lighter and it's the berry flavors that seem to stick out the most along with some piney and floral hops showing up in the background and it had a berry hops like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, even though the hop profile was a little different from the aroma I still thought it was good and it worked well with this beer.

M- A little smooth, just slightly warming, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a big hoppy Red Ale, there were no off flavors and there wasn't anything that really seemed to be out of place. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, just slightly warming, a little crisp, a little creamy, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one or two would be enough for me any more than that and it might start to wear on me a little and I think it made for a nice fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was for sure the highlight of this beer and I really liked the hop profile. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly warming alcohol, it wasn't a big deal, but i thought it could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again and I might even think about getting a four pack of it and I would for sure get it again if they choose to release it next year. I recommend this to anyone who likes big hoppy Red Ales, this one fits into that category nicely. Overall I was pretty happy with this beer, it turned out to be good just as good as I remember and I think the bottled version had a little better aroma. This is one of the better big hoppy Red Ale that I've had and I think it's one of the better Greenbush beers I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep up the good work.

Remnant Of Dragon from Greenbush Brewing Company