Demeter - Greenbush Brewing Company

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Jas45678 on 09-21-2013

Dry-hopped pale ale brewed with spices.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by HoneyLamb:

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

3.47/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Demeter a couple days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Greenbush is a pretty good Brewery and the idea of a spiced Pale Ale peaks my interests, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good with a nicely drawn hop cone on it and the simple phrase of "Enjoy Life Now". It poured a slightly orange amber color that took on more of a bright murky orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of rings of nice lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, from the head and lacing to the color this is just one great looking beer.

S- The aroma starts off with a loads of hops that have that fresh wet hopped aroma to it with some nice earthy aromas coming through with citrus hops sticking out the most imparting a nice citrusy and citrus rind like aroma. Up next comes a noticeable lemon grass aroma followed by some spices with ginger seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end i get a light pale malt and grainy aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma the hops were bright and fresh smelling, with just enough spices that made for a good and unique aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but a little lighter and it starts off with some grainy and pale malt flavors that are quickly followed by a good amount of hops that have that fresh hop flavor to them with some earthy and spicy hops coming through, but it's the citrus hops that stick out the most and impart a nice citrus rind like flavor. Up next comes some nice lemon grass flavors with just the right amount of spices that aren't overpowering with ginger still sticking out the most. On the finish there was a medium amount of bitterness with a citrus hop, lemon grass, and ginger aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer and there was some great balance between the hops and the spices.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was pretty good beer and a good and unique style, you could still tel it was a Pale Ale, but the fresh hops and spices gave it a complexity and uniqueness that you don't find in hardly any other Pale Ales. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these but the spices might start to wear one me after that. What I liked most about this beer was how well the spices worked with the fresh hop flavors, they worked together much better than I anticipated. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, I can't find a single thing about this beer that I didn't like or would want to change. I would for sure buy this again, in fact next time I go to the beer store I'm going to pick a few more before they are all gone. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good and unique Pale Ale. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, since it's from Greenbush I expected it to be solid but I was really impressed with how well the hops and spices worked with each other and the lemon grass and ginger aspects were great. Good job guys, I really enjoyed this beer and I have to say it's one of the better beers I've had from Greenbush and it's one of the most unique American Pale Ales that I have ever had, keep up the good work.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Demeter from Greenbush Brewing Company