Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Captivator Doppelbock - Tree Brewing

Captivator DoppelbockCaptivator Doppelbock

Tree Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: bobsy on 03-29-2010

Captivator has a sweet aroma, with hints of toffee, light caramel and hazelnut. A deep brown reddish hue with a clean smooth finish.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

From a 650 ml brown bottle. Pours out a transparent reddish brown hue, thin creamy off-white head that dissipates soon.

Sweet caramel, figs and brown sugar on the nose, faint grassy notes, it's pretty much all about the malt.

Hoppy for a doppelbock. Raisin and fig sweetness up front, then a spicy, grassy, herbal hoppiness takes over and dominates from there, dry hay in the aftertaste. Also spicy alcohol warmth lingers in the aftertaste.

Medium-bodied, a fair amount of carbonation, smooth texture, alcohol warmth.

I'm always happy to see a domestically produced doppelbock, yet this one doesn't really do it for me. It has a decent balance for a lager, however for a big beer, and for the style it seems to miss the target.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Poured a nice dark brown with a nice amount of head which dissipated and left no lacing. Not as dark as I would've thought, but a very nice colour nonetheless.

S - There is a definite sweetness on the nose, which mixes nicely with the traditional roasted coffee and dark chocolate.

T - Delicious... At 8% I barely noticed the alcohol, which can be very dangerous. I found it to have a very nice roasted coffee flavour, but the sweetness of caramel and toffee definitely came through.

M - Not a lot of carbonation, which is consistent with other Dopplebock's I've had. Not too thick on the tongue, which made it go down way too easily.

D - Probably one of the best dark beers I've had in some time. I absolutely love the fact that you can barely notice the alcohol, and the balance of roasted malts and sweet finish makes this delicious.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Captivator is deep red-brown with a thick off-white head. A head that likes to stay and party a little longer than the average beer; however, like a good guest it doesn't make to much of mess, and leaves very minimal lacing. The aroma is fairly subdued, yet it's incredibly malty. You got aromas of bread pudding, caramel, toffee, and hazelnuts. Like most darker lagers, the flavour is twice what the aroma is. Captivator is incredibly smooth with a mellow maltiness that finishes with a sharp prick of alcohol. I feel a couple of months of age would benefit this beer to help remove or lessen that alcoholic finish.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

650ml bottle poured into tulip april 5 2010

A clear reddish brown with a fast falling thumbs worth of head that left a few patches of lace

S some brown sugar with a little molasses and some cola. I picked up on a little nuttiness but it wasn't until after I read the bottle that I could smell hazelnut so I thought it may be all suggestive until I tasted it

T lots of nut going here with a little chocolate on top of everything I smell, the booze is very well concealed I don't taste much of the 8% at all

M a slight silky feel until the bubbles fluff it up a bit, decent length on this beer you can taste it for a for a minute or two after its in your belly

D for a 8%alc beer it's very easy to drink, great beer for a chilly spring evening

another solid seasonal from Tree, I had no problems drinking this beer and I doubt you will either. a big thank you to Steve for giving me first crack at this one

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last