Hop Head India Pale Ale - Tree Brewing

Hop Head India Pale AleHop Head India Pale Ale

Tree Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Over a decade ago, we brewed one of the most innovative IPA's in Craft Brewing. To this day, our award winning IPA is the benchmark for Real IPA's...as our saying goes "Drink Real Ale Cause Bud Is Just For Smoking"! Hop Head is full bodied and loaded with hops, delivering a distinct taste and aroma.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-13-2003)

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

Hop Head IPA from Tree Brewing in Kelowna BC is a very smooth, easy-drinking IPA owing more to American IPAs than its maltier Canadian and British cousins.

Cirtusy, sweet smell with a nice orange colour with lots of lovely lacing.

This is one of the smoothest, easy-to-drink IPAs I have ever encountered.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Beerfly notice: Often available, on-tap, at the Hop-In Brew house, in Calgary.

Quite possibly my favorite bitter. I had this at a "Beerfest" event in Penticton, BC once and the guys had samples of cask-conditioned Hophead (with handfuls of hops thrown into the cask just before sealing it, they told me). It was heavenly.

This is not a beer for the faint of heart. If you don't like tasting hops, you're going to hate this beer.
But if you're the kind of person who would almost rather smell the beer than drink it (I said, ALMOST rather), then this is the beer for you.
Nice color, a bit more red than gold. Not as yellow as the picture on the box.
Fabulous aroma- as noted.
The taste is almost all hops, all bitterness, but it doesn't rip your tastebuds apart, either. There are also citrusey notes and there is an underlying sweetness from the malt. I find the balance to be not as badly skewed as others have suggested.
Well worth seeking out if you're a fan of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I was given a sample of this by a very helpful barmaid at the Railway Club in Vancouver.
The dark golden colour suggested it could be on the lighter side for an IPA. The hop presence was obvious from the first sniff of the glass.
The malts where present but the big thing for this beer, not surpisingly given the name, was the hops. I felt that despite the strength of the hop flavours and aroma the balance was beautiful.
I kept wanting to smell the beer again before every sip.

I do like the maltiness and hopiness of IPA's but prefer them a little more muted than most American style IPAs. This one seemed to achieve a flavour and feel somewhere between the english and american ones I felt, but I'm no expert (perhaps that would make it a true Canadian IPA).

I really liked this beer.
Mouthfeel? Hops...

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

By the time I got around to reviewing this beer, it was four months out of date -- I'd purchased a large quantity in Nelson, BC and squirreled it away at home. Oops, last bottle, better write something down. Despite being past the "enjoy by" date, the beer hadn't suffered a bit -- just as lovely as my first sip ever at Doc Willoughby's in Kelowna.

This is everything you want in an American IPA -- lovely amber color with a large white crown of foam, piney and citrusy hops everywhere in the aroma and the flavor, perfect balance between malt and hops (though my definition of that type of perfection is admittably skewed), drinkability for days!

I'll bring even more of this back next time I'm in BC.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

(CANBIF beer)
mmmm... I love the way Canadian brewers do (India) Pale Ales.

Pours reddish, with white head. Nose is of Pacific hops, lots of wonderful aromas floating around. It's backed up by a slightly biscuity malt backbone, that does well to balance the hops. Bitterness is strong but not overly so.

A very well balanced beer, with plenty of hop flavours to satisfy. I like it a lot.

4.43/5  rDev +16%

This has a great label, covered in hops. It pours a pale gold color with hyperactive carbonation and lots of clingy foam that turns to a ring of lace. the aroma is of cascade hops with a juicy fruit malt background. The taste is an IPA lovers dream, very citrusy and piney with lots of pure bitterness. Id say it was hoppier than the Maximus Double IPA I also had tonight. Biscuity malt flavors hold up the rear. The mouthfeel is smooth and mouthcoating with hop oils. Is this beer bottle conditioned? the carbonation feels like it. This is a great IPA (and my first beer from BC).

I recommend it.

4.43/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 341ML bottle to a glass.

A- Good looking amberish copper colour.

S- A good whiff of hops and citrus.

T- Hops are strong and linglering on the pallet, but still a very pleasent drink.

M- Bitter, but with a lagerish carbonation that opens the pallet to a nice hoppy finish.

D- Great beer. Has a nice balance of hops, malts and carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clear coppery gold beer with a nice effervescence. On top floats a creamy, dense, sticky, lacey head that just won't quit.

Pine and citrus hops dominate the nose, with hints of caramel underneath.

The flavour is all IPA. Resinous, and a solid citrus peel bitter, with loads of hops at every level. Strong bitterness starts early and lasts through the aftertaste. A lingering sweetness stays on the tip of the tongue, and a clean maltiness builds over time. Grapefruity burps afterwards.

Smooth and easy drinking, I can drink this all night. At the GCBF this year, I did. It's utterly fantastic. Boy do I ever wish I could get this in Alberta.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hubba hubba, I'm glad I brought a 6 of this home with me from the West coast. Great looking ale, tight creamy white head that recedes to a solid cap, brilliant clear copper body with lots of carbonation action. Considerable lacing as well. There is some caramel malt hiding behind the lip-smacking aroma of aggressive hops, along with pine, grapefruit, and some lemony citrus as well. The flavour is one big soul kiss of Cascade hops, earthy, piney, citrusy, through which a small breath of toasted malt manages to come up for air briefly every once in a while. The best Canadian IPA I've sampled yet. Smooth creamy mouthfeel at first, but becomes oily on the finish due to the hops.

We used to have this available in Calgary back when Tree first started in about 1994-95. I think it's high time we got it back on the shelves here in Alberta again, I'm chomping at the bit for more.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

This is my first beer that I have tried from Tree Brewing and let me tell you it won't be my last. Doubt I can get it in Ontario but I'll try. Pours a deep amber/pumpking colour with a creamy, pillowy, good sized head.
A sweet aroma of perhaps banana but spruce/hops too...Medium body that was lightly bitter.
Lively carbonation and a nice long, hoppy finish. Overall I was quite impressed.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Purchased at the Guildford mall Liquor store in Surrey, BC. I'm not sure if this was a particularly fresh bottle, but this is AWESOME!

A: Very clear, orange-copper tone with a fluffy white head, great retention and lace. Exceptional.

S: Citrousy Pacific Northwest hops (floral & citrous), with a little bready malt.

T: Certainly balanced towards the bitter side, but very smooth. Not at all harsh. Pleasant British Pale malt, slight caramel flavour, with a huge wack of Northwest hops (quite assertive, but not overbearing). Very nice.

M: Moderate body with a slightly acidic feel. Moderate to high carbonation, prickly.

D: Very drinkable.

I think this one's under-rated. In a blind tasting, it should compete with the best of them. Perhaps it's the modest 5.8% ABV that detracts people... but it's still packed with quality flavour, and it's just that much more drinkable!

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a clear golden/orange, medium sized white head forms, stays all the way through, laces nicely. Smell is hoppy, lots of pine, caramel and citrus. Taste is nice and balanced, lots of pine and floral, with some grain and caramel. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Excellent IPA, best Canadian IPA I've tasted yet, at least in bottled form.

4.28/5  rDev +12%

On tap at Christie's Carriage House - pint comes a golden color with a thin sweater of head.

Nice light, fruity hops smell on the nose - grapefruits and other citrus fruits couched in a sweet malt backdrop.

Not overwhelming hops but they're lively and fresh. Grapefruit with dashes of other citrus, mixed with bittering hops in the body and a hint of pine. Not an overly active malt body but a sweetness is hidden there. Too light body but enough hops to keep in mind that this is a legit IPA.

Good carbonation, lively exciting drink. Not an American West Coast IPA but close - a Canadian version. Hoppy enough to meet my fix and drinkable enough to have multiple pints. Check it out!

4.28/5  rDev +12%

served at 45F.

Pours a nice clear golden amber color. weak head that dissipates quickly, some of the foam clings tenaciously to the glass - but not much.

Smells absolutely glorious. A toasty, yeasty smell, like fresh baking bread. Lots of caramel, and slight hints of fruity esters, like peaches or apricots. Fruity, citrussy hops are a highlight - probably Cascades or Crystal, or one of the other pacific west coast varieties.

Tastes like it smells. Has a hint of evergreen, perhaps, with lots of earthy, toasted flavours, and dried fruit. Finishes with hops, and a grapefruit-like astringency. Quite dry, but with a very full body. There are far more hops in the aroma and flavor than bitterness. I'd guess most of the hops were added late in the process.

Mouthfeel is slightly astringent, moderate acidic co2 zing. Full body.

I could down plenty of these. I'll buy more.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

20oz pint at Bottlescrew Bill's in downtown Calgary - this was my introduction to hoppy IPAs (fuck you Alexander Keith!) a few years ago, and here I sit now, with a tap option right in front of me!

This beer appears a clear, medium orange-brick amber hue, with one chubby finger of thickly foamy, somewhat bubbly, and eventually creamy off-white head, which leaves a respectable amount of patchy webbed lace around the glass as it slowly recedes.

It smells evenly of grapefruit/orange citrus pith, lemon-heavy iced tea powder, biscuity and bready caramel malt, and further floral, leafy astringent hop notes. The taste is bitter grapefruit, orange, and lemon rind up front, followed tightly by a bewildered dose of crackery caramel malt, a bit of wet white bread, and rounded out once again by some mildly bitter floral hops.

The carbonation is fairly soft, in a tacky, frothy sort of manner, the body a decent medium-full weight for the style, mostly smooth, and even a bit creamy. It finishes more or less consistent, the semi-sweet malt, and varied bittering hops lingering for a whole while longer.

As previously mentioned, seeing this on tap for the first time was a very pleasant surprise. It is a fair bit fuller and smoother in draft form, but is otherwise quite in line, flavour-wise, with the bottled format that I usually put back in large-ish amounts, when the occasion calls for it. One of Canada's best for the style, IMHO.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-This looks like your average IPA. Coppery reddish brown colour with a fluffy white head.

S-Hoppy. haha. What do you expect? Citrusy fruits. My friends are regular Molson drinkers and they thought it smelled like grapefruit. That's what I like to hear!!

T-Very refined, clean, crisp taste. Not too bitter even though it is aggressively hopped. Somewhat dry finish since the malt back bone is not as pronounced in this beer. This is pretty much the hop bomb of BC IPA's(well this, and Phillips).

M-Very pleasant. Not too prickly on the tongue. Just enough to keep the tastebuds on their toaes.

D-This is my daily drinker beer. Very smooth. Not too much alcohol(5.8%ABV) and no where near as ridiculously bitter as some of the other PNW IPA's around these days.

Hop Head India Pale Ale from Tree Brewing