Molto Bella Espresso IPA - Tree Brewing

No picture uploaded.
good

Tree Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 01-09-2013)
2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to wine glass.

A - Medium orange in colour with a thin layer of white head.

S - Very one-dimensional nose with only espresso coming through.

T - Espresso up front with some lighter caramel flavours in the background. The hop bitterness gets lost in the espresso profile but contributes big pine and citric flavours to the beer. The finish is bitter espresso with some floral and citric hop notes.

M - Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

O - Not a bad beer but not memorable. The flavours came together ok but overall this was a fairly average beer.

3.56/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer pours a hazy amber color with a modest, off-white head. Smell is espresso with a hint of dark chocolate. I couldn't really smell the hops. Taste is similar to the smell: the espresso overpowers everything else in the beer. It's a lovely flavor if you like coffee/espresso (and I do), but I can't help but feel like the marriage of coffee and IPA was a bizarre choice. Like in its smell, the hops are almost non-existent on the palate. The only thing to remind you that this is not a porter or a stout is the lack of a malt backbone and a certain graininess in the aftertaste.

I applaud Tree Brewing for trying out something new, but I think this would've worked better with a stronger beer base: either an 8-9% abv stout or porter or an imperial IPA, if the brewer really wanted to stick to his guns about making a coffee IPA. As it is, the fact that the beer is 4.8% and not nearly hoppy enough to counterbalance its overbearing espresso flavor marks this as a(n admirable) failure. I hope the brewmaster revisits this collaboration at some point because, like I said, the coffee taste is great; it just has nothing else to back it up.

3.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance. Pours a hazy, deep orange-amber with two fingers of amber tinted white head.

Smell. Big roasty espresso beans ...yep. Okay, there's a little caramel that may also be from the espresso and a very, very slight amount of grainy malt and citrus. It's nice espresso, but it's strong and covering anything else that might be there.

Taste. Okay, here's the hops!! Big red grapefruit and citrus rinds with a little pine sap and some of the nice espresso beans that filled the nose in the finish. There's a very small malt presence here, but the hops are so big, it's no doubt the malt is overwhealmed.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. An interesting beer. A bit of a novelty, but a pretty tasty one. I'd drink it again.

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up as an impulse buy. Never heard of Tree Brewing, but this is a good start.

A: A good looking beer with a nice white lingering head.

S: Strong coffee smell, very appealling. Getting a little citrussy hoppiness, but overpowered by the coffee.

T: Tasty beer, with crisp citrus, little piney hop taste. Decent ipa, with a coffee finish that takes over a bit.

M: Almost oily mouthfeel, in a good way.

Overall a surprisingly enjoyable beer. A little more balance and this could have been a stellar beer.

3.83/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Though likely a bit passed its prime, still pumped at the opportunity to try it. Props to my bro for the hook up.

A - Pours a nice copper colour, thumb of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Nose is dominate by the espresso and fresh coffee grinds, hints of sweet toffee and a touch of citrus.

T - Again the espresso dominates the palette, but sweet citrus notes linger on the tongue alongside some bitter coffee grinds and a bready caramel malt backbone. Although the hop profile could've been amped up, it did provide a sweetness that nicely balanced with the espresso notes.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness on the finish.

O - I've only had a handful of coffee IPA's, and I really enjoyed this one. Nicely balanced, full flavoured and I'm super glad I is a chance to try it.

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Let's face it, we've seen espresso put into all sorts of stouts, porters, hard liqueurs, coffee liqueurs, and the list goes on. What about any other type of beer? Well, the folks at Tree Brewing Company in Kelowna have created one of the most unique and delicate beers that I've come across.

I was at the checkout of the liquor store on Willingdon and E. Hastings when out of the corner of my eye I spotted the bottle of Molto Bella Espresso IPA (ABV 4.8%). I couldn't resist exiting the store without picking this up, and I'm even skipping all the brews I had in queue just so I can review this one tonight.

I'm guessing this is a limited brew, so I may as well review it now and let you know about it. I'm excited, can you tell?

I popped the top of this beautiful bottle, poured it into the glass, and even before sniffing this brew up close, I could smell hints of espresso. Seeing that this isn't a stout or porter, I wasn't sure how it would actually turn out. I put the brew up to my nose, took a small sniff and made out a strong espresso overtone, with slight hints of grapefruit, citrus-y scents, and other standard IPA smells. I don't know how to describe it, other than delicious.

Without hesitation, I took my first sip and the flow between espresso and IPA was flawless. I didn't even think this was possible, but the two flavours worked in harmony. There is a feeling of surprise, ever so delicately when you discover this taste. It's a good feeling - just don't chug this baby.

I'll admit, I drank it pretty quickly myself. It's too bad it only comes in a 650mL bottle, because I'd buy a size bigger any day. (Grrrowler anyone?)

This IPA is nowhere nearly as bitter as other IPAs, keep that in mind. This is a flavoured brew, so the bitterness level of citrus and hops is instead replaced by the strong fusion of espresso flavouring. It's a great mix, but if you're into the Fat Tug and Lone Wolf IPAs, then you might not enjoy this as much.

This goes down as my new favourite flavoured non-Stout/Porter. It comes up huge and delivers on all fronts. A solid brew for a thirsty you!

The Tree Brewing Co. Molto Bella Espresso IPA gets a surprisingly-delicious 9.0 / 10 -- or for you BeerAdvocate's, a 4.5 / 5

Molto Bella Espresso IPA from Tree Brewing