Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Molto Bella Espresso IPA - Tree Brewing

Molto Bella Espresso IPAMolto Bella Espresso IPA

Tree Brewing visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: canucklehead on 01-09-2013

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

650ml bottle - no shame in splashing the tricolore across the label of this one, eh? And if I have to read or hear 'we hope you enjoy our product as much as we did making it' one more time, I'mma not gonna be happy.

This beer pours a hazy, medium copper amber hue, with four fingers (ok, I ran out of them) of puffy, loosely foamy and certainly bubbly off-white head, which leaves a pleasant array of chunky webbed lace around the glass as it slowly sinks away.

It smells of crisp, bitter coffeehouse coffee (that's a thing), herbal, leafy, and piney hops, maybe a twinge of orange and lemon zest, and grainy crackery pale malt. The taste is bready caramel malt, a lessened, but still punchy bitter Italian roasted coffee bean acridity, muddled citrus flesh and rind notes, and struggling earthy, leafy, and piney hops.

The bubbles are here, and they're queer for tickling my tastebuds with their chirpy frothiness, the body an adequate medium weight, a touch unctuous - from either hop or espresso, but I suspect the latter - and generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, the underlying malt still on the clock, while both hop and coffee bean start a slow, dark wane.

I'm a little surprised at how much I'm actually enjoying this, as, for one, I don't believe in adulterating IPAs (see the ABA 'style' for reference), and two, I am heartily disinterested by coffee, in all its forms. But for some reason it works here, even if the nose was a little overbearing with its espresso bitterness up front. Anyways, good on these Richter street neighbours for pulling this off. (1,577 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to wine glass.

A - Medium orange in colour with a thin layer of white head.

S - Very one-dimensional nose with only espresso coming through.

T - Espresso up front with some lighter caramel flavours in the background. The hop bitterness gets lost in the espresso profile but contributes big pine and citric flavours to the beer. The finish is bitter espresso with some floral and citric hop notes.

M - Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

O - Not a bad beer but not memorable. The flavours came together ok but overall this was a fairly average beer. (562 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It seemed like such a bad idea, I passed on the first batch. It had mixed reviews, but they did it again. I picked this up a while ago, and I've still een reluctant to pull it from the fridge... But surprisingly, it is really good!

The espresso hasn't really added any colour, but it's in the aroma and definitely in the flavour. It works remarkably well with the hop head! I've had a couple others (Mikkeller and?), and I'd put this well ahead of them. (457 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance. Pours a hazy, deep orange-amber with two fingers of amber tinted white head.

Smell. Big roasty espresso beans ...yep. Okay, there's a little caramel that may also be from the espresso and a very, very slight amount of grainy malt and citrus. It's nice espresso, but it's strong and covering anything else that might be there.

Taste. Okay, here's the hops!! Big red grapefruit and citrus rinds with a little pine sap and some of the nice espresso beans that filled the nose in the finish. There's a very small malt presence here, but the hops are so big, it's no doubt the malt is overwhealmed.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. An interesting beer. A bit of a novelty, but a pretty tasty one. I'd drink it again. (748 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Though likely a bit passed its prime, still pumped at the opportunity to try it. Props to my bro for the hook up.

A - Pours a nice copper colour, thumb of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Nose is dominate by the espresso and fresh coffee grinds, hints of sweet toffee and a touch of citrus.

T - Again the espresso dominates the palette, but sweet citrus notes linger on the tongue alongside some bitter coffee grinds and a bready caramel malt backbone. Although the hop profile could've been amped up, it did provide a sweetness that nicely balanced with the espresso notes.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness on the finish.

O - I've only had a handful of coffee IPA's, and I really enjoyed this one. Nicely balanced, full flavoured and I'm super glad I is a chance to try it. (818 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a caramel brown with four fingers of frothy tan head.

Smell - espresso bean, leafy and piney hops, grapefruit peel, bready caramel malts, citrus, hint of pine resin, hint of nuttiness, hint of chocolate.

Taste - This brew starts off the pungent hit from the espresso bean then goes into the leafy and piney hops, bready caramel malts. It is then followed by the grapefruit peel, citrus, hint of pine resin, hint of nuttiness and chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes with a pleasant lingering bitterness from the espresso bean and leafy and piney hops.

Overall - A unique twist to the American IPA style. I quite enjoy the mix of bitter espresso bean with the leafy and piney hops. Hopefully this will be released in 6 packs in the near future. (803 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tree Brewing 'Molta Bella Espresso IPA' @ 5.8% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $5.20
A-pour is gold from the bottle to a cloudy amber in the glass with a medium size off-white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint
S-coffee dominates over hops
T-coffee IPA ? (WTF) wow kinda , slight dry finish
MF-ok/decent carbonation , feels big bodied
Ov-ok beer , cool PNW IPA kinda
prost LampertLand (405 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up as an impulse buy. Never heard of Tree Brewing, but this is a good start.

A: A good looking beer with a nice white lingering head.

S: Strong coffee smell, very appealling. Getting a little citrussy hoppiness, but overpowered by the coffee.

T: Tasty beer, with crisp citrus, little piney hop taste. Decent ipa, with a coffee finish that takes over a bit.

M: Almost oily mouthfeel, in a good way.

Overall a surprisingly enjoyable beer. A little more balance and this could have been a stellar beer. (516 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer pours a hazy amber color with a modest, off-white head. Smell is espresso with a hint of dark chocolate. I couldn't really smell the hops. Taste is similar to the smell: the espresso overpowers everything else in the beer. It's a lovely flavor if you like coffee/espresso (and I do), but I can't help but feel like the marriage of coffee and IPA was a bizarre choice. Like in its smell, the hops are almost non-existent on the palate. The only thing to remind you that this is not a porter or a stout is the lack of a malt backbone and a certain graininess in the aftertaste.

I applaud Tree Brewing for trying out something new, but I think this would've worked better with a stronger beer base: either an 8-9% abv stout or porter or an imperial IPA, if the brewer really wanted to stick to his guns about making a coffee IPA. As it is, the fact that the beer is 4.8% and not nearly hoppy enough to counterbalance its overbearing espresso flavor marks this as a(n admirable) failure. I hope the brewmaster revisits this collaboration at some point because, like I said, the coffee taste is great; it just has nothing else to back it up. (1,142 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I find this beer to be a Canadian counterpart to Stone's Master of Disguise (http://www.stochasticity.com/beers/master-of-disguise). Nice try! This is a hoppy stout with a look of an IPA. A nice mix for an IPA/stout fan like me! (228 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Let's face it, we've seen espresso put into all sorts of stouts, porters, hard liqueurs, coffee liqueurs, and the list goes on. What about any other type of beer? Well, the folks at Tree Brewing Company in Kelowna have created one of the most unique and delicate beers that I've come across.

I was at the checkout of the liquor store on Willingdon and E. Hastings when out of the corner of my eye I spotted the bottle of Molto Bella Espresso IPA (ABV 4.8%). I couldn't resist exiting the store without picking this up, and I'm even skipping all the brews I had in queue just so I can review this one tonight.

I'm guessing this is a limited brew, so I may as well review it now and let you know about it. I'm excited, can you tell?

I popped the top of this beautiful bottle, poured it into the glass, and even before sniffing this brew up close, I could smell hints of espresso. Seeing that this isn't a stout or porter, I wasn't sure how it would actually turn out. I put the brew up to my nose, took a small sniff and made out a strong espresso overtone, with slight hints of grapefruit, citrus-y scents, and other standard IPA smells. I don't know how to describe it, other than delicious.

Without hesitation, I took my first sip and the flow between espresso and IPA was flawless. I didn't even think this was possible, but the two flavours worked in harmony. There is a feeling of surprise, ever so delicately when you discover this taste. It's a good feeling - just don't chug this baby.

I'll admit, I drank it pretty quickly myself. It's too bad it only comes in a 650mL bottle, because I'd buy a size bigger any day. (Grrrowler anyone?)

This IPA is nowhere nearly as bitter as other IPAs, keep that in mind. This is a flavoured brew, so the bitterness level of citrus and hops is instead replaced by the strong fusion of espresso flavouring. It's a great mix, but if you're into the Fat Tug and Lone Wolf IPAs, then you might not enjoy this as much.

This goes down as my new favourite flavoured non-Stout/Porter. It comes up huge and delivers on all fronts. A solid brew for a thirsty you!

The Tree Brewing Co. Molto Bella Espresso IPA gets a surprisingly-delicious 9.0 / 10 -- or for you BeerAdvocate's, a 4.5 / 5 (2,229 characters)

Molto Bella Espresso IPA from Tree Brewing