Irish Newfoundland Red - Storm Brewing (Newfoundland)

Irish Newfoundland RedIrish Newfoundland Red

Storm Brewing (Newfoundland) visit their website
Newfoundland, Canada

Irish Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

This smooth ale has a deep reddish hue, presenting well-rounded and balanced flavours, with a pleasant toasted malt quality and light hop character. Irish Newfoundland Red is STORM’s own unique, independent style with a strong character; a twist on the Irish Red style reflecting the culture and taste of Newfoundland.

(Beer added by: Derek on 07-23-2008)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by PEIBeerGuy:
PEIBeerGuy

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

This is one of the brews brought to PEI for my by my new acquaintance in beer, cbjmacdon. This beer from Newfoundland's Storm Brewing Company is my first made-in-NL beer.

First off, the cap came off so easily it had me worried. The beer came here horizontally, though, and didn't leak, so it must be OK. It is marked as being brewed in the first week of December.

My first few impressions look-wise? It's dark. The carbonation forms and acts just like pop fizz (and vanishes just as fast)... it's not enticing to me when the fizz acts like that... makes me think of my first homebrewed red (which was a failure). The deep dark red has me interested, though, so my initial thoughts are neutral, I guess.

The smell is quite nice. It's smokey, and sweet / malty. There's notes of mellow honey / chocolate. It doesn't smell like a weak red. It smells pretty enticing. Almost like some stouts.

The taste is different compared to most reds I've drank, and I'm not so sure I like it. It has that smokey note (kind of like stale smoke in a bar), and something vegetal... like it was based on beans or something. There isn't much of a lasting aftertaste.

The feel is not very good. It could have gone one of two ways, based on how the fizz acted: really aggressively fizzy or flat. It's mostly flat. And rather watery. Disappointing. If the feel was better, it might have upped this beer to being really good.

Overall, this beer has some promise in its flavour, and especially its smell. Maybe it would be good on tap. As it is, though, the slack, thin feel - like flat draft - holds it back, and leaves it somewhere below par.

01-14-2011 00:48:47 | More by PEIBeerGuy
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

08-21-2013 01:39:23 | More by joemcgrath27
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

I picked up a bomber from the liquor store. Bottled in the 5th week of June. I had it a couple weeks later.

A: Amber-brown with a fizzy, light tan head, no retention or lace.

S: Nuts, caramel & a light spicing.

T: Caramel, toasted nuts, woody spice, balanced bitterness.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body, prickly carbonation, very dry finish. A little odd for the style.

D: Approachable, but not enticing.

07-23-2008 03:39:27 | More by Derek
Irish Newfoundland Red from Storm Brewing (Newfoundland)
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.