Mocha Machine - Beachwood BBQ & Brewing

Mocha MachineMocha Machine

Beachwood BBQ & Brewing visit their website

American Porter |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: SubpoenaDeuces on 03-20-2013)

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I received this bottle from Julian himself the other day after it was bottled a day previously.

A - Dark dark porter for sure. slightly darker than tan head, which fell quickly (I think it was my glass)

S- I would say I thought this was a cold brew coffee with chocolate. The aroma profile is outstanding.

T- Prior to drinking Mocha Machine, my favorite coffee beer was Alesmith Speedway Stout, but damn Beachwood is crushing it. 9.2% alcohol is masked very well, and the coffee and chocolate find a beautiful balance.

M- Texturally pleasing, this brew doesnt try to be a big ol fat viscous one. it falls in perfectly textured for an imperial porter and destroys.

Way to go Beachwood, Keep it rockin!

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have a confession to make... I honestly used to treat Beachwood as a great guest tap house, and thought of their house beers as a cute joke...

But after trying this, I'm not laughing anymore. I used to not care for porters... Until I had this.

A: Pours a beautiful chocolate brown, with about half an inch of head. Beautiful!

S: Better than any Starbucks mocha I've ever had! Amazing!

T: Coffee, Chocolate, Roasty, with a hint of Boozy... Again, better than anything Starbucks could even dream of... And I LOVE their mochas.

M: Smooth, medium carbonation. Like a chocolately roasty mocha... But better!

O: This beer made me take Beachwood seriously... And I'm damn glad I did! Nobody's laughing now! They can give the best a run for their money! Look out Pliny, Beachwood is on the prowl!

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap for Beachwood L.B.'s 3rd Anniversary event.

A: Pours black with a half-inch thick dark tan head with fades slowly and yields some oily spots of lace.

N: Nutty, earthy, roasty, dark chocolate, coffee.

T: Roasted coffee, earthy softness, dark chocolate kisses.

M: Full body and medium carbonation. Rich, roasted coffee and bitter chocolate finish.

O: Wonderful. Looking forward to getting bottles.

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this one (but to be fair I've been on a real coffee stout kick lately). It pours a deep brown/black with a tan/brown head. The nose is just fantastic; I had to just sit and smell it for a few minutes before I even tasted it. Just has that great roasted bean scent and the mocha is certainly present (as the name suggests). It drinks a bit bitter like black coffee but it actually finishes rather smooth. There is some booziness present on the finish but generally the high alc content is masked very well. Definitely worth a try for any fans of porters or coffee-based drinks.

Mocha Machine from Beachwood BBQ & Brewing