Gramarye - Heretic Brewing Company

Heretic Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 08-25-2012

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to rawfish for this bottle, one of the few left from a recent trade. 22 oz. bottle with a bit of D&D feel to it split with my wife. I won't mention the D&D thing to her. She thinks its geeky.

The pop & pour, whoa! Concern. Alarmingly carbonated, the head leaping skyward with verve & vigor. Underneath the big snow is an orange beer that smells about as you'd expect. A bit of spicy rye kick & plenty of pale malts.

Gramarye's carbonation tickles all the way to my elbows. The bink & fizz is distracting, it's hard to get to whatever it is that's underneath. Using my +2 Sword of Foam Banishing, I manage to get some sense of the beer: spicy rye, pale malts. Touches of lemon, grainy hops. Pretty simple. As befits the ABV, though, easy to drink, though the spiciness slows me down.

I pissed off someone I didn't know on Facebook today for repeatedly misusing the word "socialism" - good fuck, go look it up - so my day was already made, but hey, a beer makes the end of every night better, right? Carbonation really does no favors to the beer; still pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Bottle: big 650mL dark brown bottle, funky and funky, 'dark' label. A good package.

Appearance: pours a clear, dark golden copper colour with a decent, fluffy head. It drops to a creamy one-finger. Decent lacing - looks pretty good.

Aroma: toasted malt with some spice and a touch an earthen grain flavour that is unfamiliar - I assume that's the rye. Reasonably complex.

Taste: the toasted malts are there again with some caramel and toffee. The rye backs up again - I think I could get used to the woody, earthen characters it brings to the palate. Nice.

Aftertaste: drops away a bit, but the rye hangs about. Crisp on the finish.

Mouth feel: again pretty much on the money. A moderate body with enough carbonation to carry the flavour but without dominating the smooth feel. The crispness on the finish tops it off.

Overall: I have to admit I am starting to become quite the fan of rye beers. Considering an equivalent case of 24 x 330mL would be over AU$180 however, I think I will take a Brewcult Supa Fly Rye IPA most days, and save the Gramarye for special occasions.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours rich copper with a fading head.
Nose shows lots of malt with bready characters and some spicy, toasty rye. Lovely. Also some soft earthy hops.
Very similar flavours, with powerful toasty and spicy rye alongside a spicy, earthy hop hit. Great length.
Nice moderate carbonation.

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

22 ounce bomber. Decanted into a pint glass.
Appearance: Almost perfectly clear deep amber/copper color. Thin, fleeting head that clings to the side of the glass.
Smell: Extraordinarily faint. Really have to hunt for it. There’s a bit of bready rye in the nose. I also get a bit of mineral water. When I really dig for it, I get a very faint citrus smell. The hops are almost absent in the aroma.
Taste: Very nice. Bready. Dry with a peppery rye finish. Maybe a bit of honey. No bitterness to speak of. Leaves almost no lingering aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Thin. Sharp carbonation.
Overall: Very nice session-able, rye pale. I really want to like it more considering its credentialing, but it seems like someone turned it’s volume down. Muted, I guess. To be fair the label says “Bottled 07.30.12”, so it likely has already passed its prime. I’m going to look for it on draft.

Gramarye from Heretic Brewing Company