Follow our progress ...

YumYum | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

YumYumYumYum

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Congratulations! Welcome to flavor country. This most recent FFF’s pale ale has just the malt backbone to support an explosive juicy hop profile derived from a new blend of proprietary hops. Cheers.

Added by MasterSki on 01-18-2014

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 156 | Ratings: 1,454
3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Wow... there once was a time where brewery-only releases that were less than 3 months old wouldn't have 60-odd reviews. But I guess that's just the magic of the "Rating" feature--it allows anyone to make up anything.

Anyhow, this was different. I liked it, but it lacked the oomph of their regular hoppy offerings, and I.. it's hard to put into words, but I just couldn't wrap my head (or tongue) around what it is the new, bizarre hop profile was trying to achieve. It was like a blend between amarillo and sorachi ace, with nodes of sharp spice clashing against more American bursts of citrus. Neat, but they need to work on it some more. Here's my notes:

Golden orange-ish, slight haze and a decent head. Smells like a straight up midwest IPA: rounded biscuit malt, alpha hops. Tastes sweet, sharp, and spicy. Strange hop profile. Not quite like anything i've had. Round, thick back end.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

A- poured golden yellow with 2 fingers of creamy head.

S - sweet cookie like malt is followed bysweet candied citrus

T - sweet biscuit and nut. If you were just tasting the malt, you'd think this was a nut brown ale. That isn't the case though and the citrus hops shine through. I'm reminded of a citrusy, hopped up Fat Tire when I drink this, but not in a bad way.

M - smooth and very drinkable. Very sessionable.

O - I really like this beer, but not quite as much as zombie dust or alpha king

4/5  rDev 0%

Look - hazy golden tan color with a good white head
Smell - tropical fruit hop smell
Taste - Pretty fruity session pale ale with a good malt backbone
Feel - crisp medium carbonation and medium body
Overall - fantastic session pale ale. Very similar hops to zombie dust.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

I was just happy this was still on draft when I got there. Bright golden body with a two finger white foamy head. There's a bit of sweet citrus on the nose but it really isn't too pungeant. The taste is explosive. Sweet and bitter citrus peel and citrus juice. I had to ask if my tastebuds were correct and indeed they confirmed that this is Mosaic hopped. Mouthfeel was nice and slick with a little resin. The malt is there for balance but it really steers clear to me. It's all about showcasing Mosaic hops, and that was certainly done. I still like Annica a little better, but I'm very happy to see a sessionable APA use of this hop. Well done Floyd's, well done.

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear, pale and golden in color. Nice white head.

S: Strong citrus and tangerine smell. Very fruity and pleasant

T: Really balanced and fruity. Very unique almost tasted like there was some tangerine juice in there.

M: Crisp and refreshing with some residual sugar but nice.

O: Really nice new Pale Ale by Three Floyds, looking forward to seeing if they decide to start putting this into six packs!

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this at the brew pub. More akin to zombie dust. I hope they keep this one around and start bottling it because I was blown away. Better than gumball head, pride n joy, and jinx proof. Another amazing beer from an amazing brewery. It has joined the elites such as APW, permanent funeral, ZD, and Alpha King in terms of ales.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
YumYum from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.