Pride & Joy Mild Ale - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Pride & Joy Mild AlePride & Joy Mild Ale

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A smooth, medium-bodied session beer with bright citrus hop aroma and finish. Our interpretation of an American Mild Ale.

Reviews by StoneTSR:
3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Around Chicago, when I find myself in a bar or restaurant with a limited craft beer selection, Three Floyd's (along with Goose Island) is often one of the only options and the Pride & Joy is a solid go-to beer in these situations. The other day I found myself in one of these situations when I had an empty stomach and a couple extra hours to kill on a hot, humid Chicago afternoon. I was crazing a good pilsner, and I thought I remembered that they had a Lagunitas Pils in the bottle. Turned out I was wrong, but they did have the Pride & Joy and it sounded like a good alternative to a pils. I'm glad I went with it to accompany my "Big Mike" double cheeseburger with a fried egg. It was almost the perfect beer for a hot, downtown Chicago, summer afternoon.

APPEARANCE: A light gold in color, it was also crisp and transparent. The word I wrote in my notes on the phone was "gorgeous". A nice, thin, but full layer of head provided a pretty white cap on top. Lacing was minimal.

SMELL: This is Pride & Joy's weak spot. The nose is almost impossible to detect. I would chalk it up to all the other potential aromas around me at the time, but I have noticed this before. What little smell there is provides a preview of the mildly hoppy and floral flavor yet to come.

TASTE: After the weak nose, the first sip is always an eye opener. It is crisp and mild, yet somehow very bold. Floral and Citrus flavors hit the tongue right off the bat, but the finish smooths out and leaves a very, very mild, but pleasant metallic aftertaste.

FEEL: Refreshing and thirst quenching are the first two words that come to mind. It almost feels as if it cleanses the palate as well.

OVERALL: As mentioned above, on a hot, humid, summer afternoon in downtown Chicago I really couldn't ask for anything more. Especially right before heading back into the office for a few last hours of work for the week. It is a lighter feeling beer, but does not lack in the flavor department at all. Three Floyd's, as usual, does it again.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A mild ale?Well not so sure about that,pours a rich copper with a nice white two finger head that leaves a nice sheet of lace behind as it settles,no "mild" aromas going on here piney,resiny hop with slight caramel malt note in the background.A tad watery mouthfeel but not to thin mild flavors for Three Floyds I suppose lightly sweet and caramelly but that piney,resiny American hop presence is there make this well balanced and oh so quaffable.I could drink this ale all day has nice flavors and ind goes down like water,a traditional mild no but a damn good American style mild oh hell yeah.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked up a 6 at D&D Food and Liquor, Wicker Park, Chicago. The bottle I poured from was the worst labeled beer bottle I have ever seen. 2 labels pasted on in weird angles with as much of the white showing as the printed side. Not a big deal but this was a first for me and wanted to share.

A: Nice , ever so slightly hazy medium amber color. Creamy 2 finger head that delivers some good lacing and keeps a thinner creamy head throughout.

S: Very lively grapefruit hoppy aroma. Hard to drink without experiencing the zingy smell.

T: The taste is just what you would imagine based on the smell. Not very complex to my taste buds but pretty well balanced. The strong fruit dominates but as it settles into the hoppy bitterness at the end, you can taste a slight biscuity maltness - just enough to take off the edge and balance it off.

M: Light body. Medium carbonation - just right for the beer. Crisp with the carbonation. Somewhat creamy and smooth on the finish. Overall felt a little watery at times.

D: A curious beer for sure. Not a mild ale but not quite an APA either. Kinda IPAish but not quite. This isn't my favorite style of beer and fruity is certainly not my favorite taste profile but having said that, I found myself downing 3 of these suckers tonight and enjoyed them. Can I hear someone say session beer? You can't deny that 3F brew a fine beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this off cask at The Map Room last Saturday, 1/22. Poured a clear golden amber red with a small bubbly head. The head was not thick, but somewhat lacy and intricate. Very nice appearance off the hand pull. The nose comes with big grapefruit, citric candy bubblegum with hints of peaches. Just so damn good...almost like a fruit salad in a glass.

First sip is smooth and hoppy with a beautiful melding of grapefruit and tropical fruit flavors. Very little carbonation, but it works damn well in this case. Hints of caramel peek through on the way down, with nice interplay of sweet and bitter notes. Wonderful, just wonderful.

Smooth and oh-so creamy mouthfeel goes down so easily. If you think Pride & Joy is a good session ale out of the bottle...just try it on cask and be blown away. This one could be drank all night long with no problem. Simply a great beer by Three Floyd's made even better on cask. Highly recommended.

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours nice, has a distinct smell, not bad bit not great. Nice head but doesn't last. I like it. Has its own unique appel.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured an orangish gold, had sort of a nice light citrus malt aroma.The head was substantial and stuck around, the taste was a soft thin, malt flavor, with a little hop bitterness that comesin at the end. I guess its better than drinking a macro, but compared to other TF products, its like drinking their version of a light.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.54/5  rDev +17%

Pours a nice orange. Very big hops/citrus aroma. Taste is primarily pine resin with much less citrus than in the aroma. Hops give nice bitterness and a bit of pucker. Body is rather thin, which is okay at this ABV. Nice lighter alternative to Alpha King.

2.32/5  rDev -40.2%

12 oz bottle. Tones of pungant hops very little malt character. Pour pale with an orange/brown hue. Very little head and no lace. Massive hop flavor but still no real malt present. Super bitter. Kind of makes me cringe to swallow. Light body. Pretty puckering. Not real easy to drink. By far my least favorite 3F brew. I’m sure glad the rest are pretty great.

Thanks to clvand0 for this beautiful 12 oz bottle. Pours a clear, actively carbonated, amber body with an attractive, two finger ecru head that retains well before leaving some nice patchy lace down the glass.
Aroma begins with a sharp grapefruit hoppiness that also has a hint of orange and pine needle. Some sweetish malt is vaguely in the background.
Mouthfeel is on the light side, with active carbonation and a hops presence.
Taste features the citrusy hops of grapefruit and orange peel. Very little malt character is noted, even at room temperature. Finish is citrus rind hops, as is the aftertaste.
This is nothing close to an English dark mild ale, but it's highly drinkable, and very well put together. Much closer to an American pale ale in character, but I wouldn't mind keeping several bottles of this around. Very nice.

Purchased at City Limits in Providence, RI. Good people they are at City Limits.

Ok its my b-day, I'm driking a lot of good brews and listening to Cake. I'm dancing at the foot of the Lord and all is bliss....all is bliss.

Nice sticky head atop this amber sea of hoppiness. Mild yes. Hoppy yes. I can't righly say if it's too hoppy or just right in the mild department. Definitley hoppy characteristics up front. Lip smacking hops as a matter of fact. Sweet with matching hop bitterness. A nice little brew from Indiana. This is quite drinkable a nice beer to have about the house for any old situation.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.