Pride & Joy Mild Ale - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Pride & Joy Mild AlePride & Joy Mild Ale

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A smooth, medium-bodied session beer with bright citrus hop aroma and finish. Our interpretation of an American Mild Ale.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pride & Joy Mild Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,165 | Reviews: 696

Just a beautiful "lite" beer

4.94/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours out a nice clear golden color in my hefe glass - very inviting. Aroma is full of fruity bubblegum hop aroma, along with some grapefruits....drool. Taste is dominated by flavoring hops, that are downright delicious. A slight malt backbone peeks through - enough to add flavor - yet not detract from the fresh taste of this beer. There is a great dry finish to this one, leaving my mouth feeling like a bouqet of flowers.

Drinkability? Refer to Lionel Ritchies "All Night Long"

This is by far the best session brew I've come across

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

What a hell of a pleasant surprise. I should have expected so from Three Floyds after enjoying their so-called "Pale Ale" so much. If anything, this is more of a Pale Ale than the Alpha King (which is more of an IPA for those who haven't tried it).

It pours to a clear and pale golden amber color with moderate carbonation and a beautifully retaining head, which starts at about an inch on the pint and recedes to about a centimeter through the duration of the glass. The beer left lace in strata to my amazement! The smell is of piney cascade hops and citrusy flavors including grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. Has a very light presence of English malts underlying the hops.

The taste is as the smell prescribed. I think I have found me a new favorite session beer, and I'll be damned if I don't convince my friends of the same. At an ABV of under 5%, I could drink this all night, and will definitely do so in the future. I can't believe I have passed this up so many times. So, why are you still reading this when you could be out buying some more beer to supplement your beer fridge?

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

I poured this into a 16oz draft glass from a 12oz bottle.
A. The appearance is amber with a hint of red to it. It purs to a nice 2 finger head which laces beautifully down the glass as you drink it.

Smell. It has a wonderful smell of citrus to the hops. I pick up hints of pine as well.

T. The taste is out of this world. I absolutly love this beer!! Being from the Pittsburgh area I have a 5-6 hour drive just to get this stuff and it is well worth the trip. This Mild Ale has plenty of hops for the hopheads out there and not overpowering for the Malt fans as well. You can pick up the citrus/pine finish to the beer.

D. Drinkability Really?? After tasting this beer you WILL want more. It is deffinetly worth the long drive to get it for me.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

Orange gold with some hints of red. Fine white head settles to a mostly complete cap and leaves good lacing.

Nose is a potent mix of peachy, spicy hops over a big whack of melanoidin malt, supported by a touch of raw bread dough. Somehow these meld into an incredibly appetizing combo that I just can't resist.

Light side of medium in the mouth. The intense maltiness from the melanoidin leads the way, but there's more to the malt here than on the nose. The hops kick in on the mid-palate with a big rush of leafy peach. It's a wildly pleasurable combination of flavors. Very soft mouthfeel gives the palate a lush softness and roundness that really gives the hops and malt an opportunity to meld seemlessly. Great length on the finish with both the malt and hops maintaining intensity, though ultimately the hops have the final say.

One of the most satisfying and easily drinkable beers I know. My favorite by far of the Three Floyds "regular" beers. As for being a "mild" I belive FFF are employing the old English tradition in which "mild" and "bitter" were relative terms used to describe each particular brewery's offerings. And, compared to Alpha King, this baby is mild!

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Ah 3 Floyds. Sounds like some sort of Sci-Fi/Trekker lounge. They have yet to dissapoint, in my limited experience. This particular ale is no exception.
The appearance of this ale is lovely: a golden almost orang-ish hue and pristine clarity make it very handsome to behold indeed.
The smell is strong but clean. It took my olfactory by storm as I opened the bottle with notes of fruity (citrusy and even the mildest of cherry hints), piney, hops, and a bit malty sweet.
The initial taste is good. Lightly bitter as one would expect but then the aftertaste kicks in. What a surprise! The aftertaste is more nuanced than the initial! The lingering aftertaste starts with the left over bittnerness of the original beer and then slowly meanders through it's nose-smells on your taste buds. The citrusy flavor comes through, then a wet/sweet taste and finally a dry and pronounced finish! It's playful and fun but not without its refinements and character.
The mouthfeel is exceptional as well. The balance of carbonation, and wetness make this exceptionally smooth and give it good texture. It has substance but is still fluid and moves gracefully through the mouth.
Finally the drinkability. This is an outstanding ale that deserves nothing less than exceptional status. It is very pleasing indeed and to say "Thank you, Sir. May I have another?" would not do it credit. Pride and Joy lives up to it's name. Well done Three Floyds!

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

I'd love to do a review sweep of ALL of Three Floyds beers, so seeing this one in the fridge - I think I'll enjoy it... Thanks to newtonty for the chance to drink this beer (again) and finally getting around to reviewing it. See, he's in Chicago right now for some technical training and since he missed the Bengals game (where I'm at), I decided to drink it for him - thanks!

Pours a gorgeous, cloudy orange with a stunning 1 inch pancake bubbled top, with small and big bubble craters. Lacing is HUGE, all the way down the side of my pilsner glass. Wow...

Smells of freshly squeezed orange juiced hops, with a trailing of freshly cut pine - sublime... There's a ghostly, sweet malty lingering in the mix, as well. Strong nose on this one.

Medium bodied and full flavored APA with just the right about of hop bitterness throughout. Much like the nose, with citrus and pine-filled hops all over the place. Rich in flavor, but balanced wonderfully.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy at times, at just the right places (in the beginning and middle). Oddly enough, it ends drier, leaving a nice bitter citrus in my mouth. Very refreshing and highly sessionable. This is a GREAT summer beer, perfect when doing lawnwork.

This is my favorite American Pale Ale to date. Simply amazing for it's style.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Sampled from the beer engine at the Map Room in Chicago. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the board saying this was on the engine when I was there. How did it take me 3 beers into the night to see that this was there? It poured a deep amber color with 2 fingers of head, full of large bubbles, that fell to coat the beer. The nose was a nice blend of grapefruity hop and a slight chewy bubblygum. It was slightly crisp, but smelld divine. Cask conditioning this beer took it to places that I didn't know existed. The flavor was mellow. A great blend of the grapefruit hop and the caramel sweetness. This is what I will hold all mild ales up against in flavor. It was mild, yet so full of flavor. The feel was so smooth and silky, with just a bare minimum of carbonation to keep it true. I thought that this beer was fantastic. I'm not sure there is anything they can do withthe flavor to make it better. I can only hope that next time I am there they have the Alpha King on cask.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

I poured this 12oz bottle of mild ale into a red wine glass, which i seem to be using a lot lately. I sat out on the porch while drinking this delight.

A: It poured a hazy orange color with a beautiful thick, cream-colored head which stayed around for the entire time, leaving thick rings on the side of the glass. There was lots of active carbonation visible through the haze.

S: The smell was incredible! Sweet and fruity notes everywhere. I could pick out a bubblegum smell at first, then I got the green apple smell coming at me. Other than that, I could smell grapes, like white grapes or something. The citrus hop smell was obvious, but it was not overpowering at all.

T: Very well-balanced. Spicy hops were countered by toasty/buttery malts. The predominant taste is citrus. Grapefruits, sour apples...and there is some other interesting flavor which I cannot put my finger on. Medicinal? It was more than just a flavor though, since it affected the mouthfeel in some way.

M: This ale was very smooth. The carbonation was neither too weak or too strong, but just right. Also, as I mentioned before, there was some quality that gave it a (medicinal) feeling.

D: This is now my favorite "mild ale." It is so damn drinkable that I have vowed to stop drinking water from now on. I am not going to file a BeerSpy report. Just stay the hell away from this beer!

4.79/5  rDev +23.5%

Tasted on 5/11/05 at Bricks (Beer Bar) in Cedar Rapids, IA.

Not dark and not mild and not to style at all but incredibly good !! Golden in color with a decent white head. Big huge American Pale Ale aroma and flavor ... citrus and grapefruit city !! Compared to the other 2 APA's I had that night, this was the best APA.

I just want to know, how do you go about comparing this to Young's Dirty Dick's ?? Just not possible.

Label States: Bottle Conditioned

===
Tasting #2 of bottle brought back from Bricks:

Hazy orange with a decent off-white head and decent lace. Medium bodied and smooth with a lightly bitter finish. Better fresh.

'4258' lasered on the bottom
Tasted: 12/03/05

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Cloudy orange with nice head. Smells of hoppy citrus. Very inviting.

Fantastic hop/citrus notes, with a nice balance of malts in the mouth. This has all the characteristics of an APA. In fact, it is similar to the Alpha King Pale Ale but lighter weight. Mouthfeel is fantastic and the finish is clean with a nice hop snap to it. It being a little "lighter" makes it a great session brew. Thanks again Three Floyd's for yet another winner!

Update: just got another batch for this year and it is a little fresher. Still dry in the finish but the citrus aspect seems a little more prominent than what I remember. So happy I was able to snag a couple cases of this before it was gone in my area.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

A beer I'm never afraid of not being able to obtain. Thank goodness for that.

Pours a sunny amber orange with a pleasant eggshell head with some lacing after each sip. Plus a few jubilant bubbles rising to the top rounded out this beer nicely. The aroma was of fresh pine, flower stems, medium citrus, and some toasty malts. The taste was a perfect reflection of the aroma. Sprucey hops with some citrus in the middle mixed with the toasted wheat bread in the middle and finished with the floral, spicey hops. Medium bitterness and very crisp and refreshing. Great after owrk beer. Very sessionable. Probably my favorite English dark mild ale.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a crystal clear pale amber. There is a frothy, thick, creamy, pure white head that nicely contrast the light but rich color

Smell: The beer has a fantastic nose of tart grapefruit and bitter lemon rind. There is a hint of green sticky pine needles and an ever so slight grassy spice. Behind those smells is a pleasant sweet caramel aroma.

Taste: The flavor is forward with a wonderful fruit citrus component. Again, there is grapefruit, orange rind and a slight hint of tart cherry of raspberry. As these flavors fade you begin to notice a ever so slight hint of grainy fresh baked bread. The beer ends with a mild lingering bitterness or bitter lemon peel.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is fresh, lively, and clean. It is light on your palette with a sparkling carbonation that leaves your mouth feeling refreshed after swallowing.

Drinkability: Saying this beer is extremely drinkable would be an understatement. I could easily drink this as my only beer throughout an even (or afternoon for that matter) and be completely satisfied by it's easy drinking nature.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This beer creates a fantastic balance of bold aroma and flavor with a light, pleasant and clean body. It is amazingly drinkable and an awesome interpretation of the American session beer.

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer has been one of my favorites forever. Nice copper orange color, nice 2 finger head. Smells- citrusy, tastes- excellent balance of hops and malt. Nice and bitter but citrusy as well as malty. Have also had it on draft at the brew pub, great beer all around.

4.71/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Golden amber hue with a medium sized head. Leaves thin lacing on a pint.

S - Malty, citrus scent.

T - Some good, malty flavor with a hint of lime and maple.

M - Very smooth and light. Goes down very easy.

O - I think this is a good sit down beer that will leave you very satisfied without filling you up very much. The hints of lime and maple really bring out that malty flavor and their own unique undertones.

It's a very good APA that I would recommend to anyone.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

A - Slighty hazy orange brew with a tight cap of off-white foam. Nice thick lacing coats the glass.

S - Super pungent grassy and oily hop aromas with a touch of lime zest. Some thickly sweet malts back up the hop jungle scent. I am a hop head, and for me this is heaven. Extremely herbal and oily in the hop department....this is an extremely nice hop scent!

T - Totally backs up the nose. Thick malt backbone sets an excellent stage for the oily herbal and floral hop flavors. Super hoppy and bitter, with a sweet biscuity malt middle, and a dry hop finish. Excellent! There are some very marijuana-like flavors here too. Maybe that's why the jester on the bottle looks so googley-eyed.

M - Thick and oily at first, then chewy malts in the middle, then it lightens up for a dry crisp finish.

D - A perfect hop popsicle for sessioning. I will buy sixers of this stuff regularly.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours burnt amber orange with a fluffy off white head that leaves tremendous lace. A little light in color for a dark mild, but with flavor like this, who cares?

Big juicy pink grapefruit hops dominate the nose. Some underlying fruity bubblegum character as well. Simply beautiful.

Intense hop citrus up front. Big tangy hop flavors throughout. Passion fruit and a hint of caramel as well.

Medium to full bodied, a nice maltiness here to support the big ass hop flavors. So damned drinkable, if it were available here, it would always be in my fridge. Sure, it isn't a straight up mild, but it's Three Floyd's, so expect in your face flavor.

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked this up yesterday since we're so lucky to get 3 Floyds offerings here in Jersey. I loved the Alpha King and really looked forward to trying this out once I got around to it. I dont' say this very often, but this beer lived up to my expectations and even surpassed them!

Amazingly wonderful pour - from the shining amber hue to the rich, frothy head, and unfiltered wheat on the bottom. The nose was wonderful - citrusy like I expected, with some lemon and grapefruit too. Smooth taste up front, with a pine-like bitterness in the back. Between that and the mouthfeel (wonderful bubbles!), it reminded me of a midwest take on Sierra Nevada. This wasn't as powerful or had the degree of transition that the Alpha King had, but at 4.87%, this may be the best session beer I've had in a long time, if not ever. Very drinkable, wonderful to savor, great to swish, and the carbonation, though light, is just right. The lacing could have been a bit better, but it was present for brief intervals and the other attritbutes of this beer more than made up for it...

Even though I've only had two (the Robert the Bruce Scottish is also available here in Jersey) of 3 Floyds offerings, I love what they bring to the table. Nice mix of hops, a full citrus flavor and aroma, and a finely crafted, easily drinkable set of brews. Cheers to the Hoosier state's finest!

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

It's my third straight day drinking Three Floyds beer - I am oozing hops from all orfices - large and small (my mouth to my pores) now I have just finished my 1st bottles of mild Ale! Back in Munster, Saturday, I had a brief conversation with a local little league baseball coach as he loaded a couple of cases for him and his assistants. "We drink Pride and Joy - Win or Loose - and we always enjoy the season with this great session beer"

With that we both agreed to split a case and add it to the massive load of beer we were taking back to Missouri from the Munster area thanks to tips from several local BA's about finding good outlets.

This is 3 F's interpretation of the English Dark Mild Ale style and for them maybe moderately hopped. Plan on experiencing APA or IPA hop levels.

The clear copper gold beer has a persistant head supported by strong beading unless you prefer a rough pour and a larger 3 fingered head. A very fine rete of sticky lace etches the walls of the pint glass. A few yeast floaties slowly settle to the bottom where they stay attached.

Aroma rises enters the nostrils and plugs grapefruit candy, lemon zest and a trace of pine directly into the brain.

Low ABV and the sweet kiss of caramelized premium malts support this intense hop aroma and well crafted mix of hop flavors.

Hop bitterness is perfect and along with the medium light mouth feel supported by moderate carbonation - this could be the perfect session beer for baseball coaches or anyone looking for a quality thirst quencher.

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Picture of a goofy looking jester balancing a beer on his head graces the label.

Appearance - pours a dark orange with shades of reddish amber. A touch cloudy looking through the glass with a very faint thin head. Ghostly white hallow lingers around the glass.

Smell - A nice hopy presence with some spices to kick it up a notch. Nice floral smell fades into a sweet honey malt with lite caramel as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Has that great taste that is unique to all 3FF's brews! Hops and mellow citrus fruits are first on the attack, but just enough to please not overwhelm. Malts are coated in honey and caramel with a biscuity flavor taking over through the finish. Hops come back just a touch as you swallow. Perfect way to finish off.

Drinkability - A well crafted masterpiece of a mild ale. It has wonderful balance and such an array of flavors for a beer of this type. I can't say enough about 3FFF's! Their beers are always of the highest caliber, and are friggin delicious. I could drink this beer any time of day, and any time of year.

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

A somewhat golden orange with copper highlights. A touch of head, but nothing outstanding but what little there is leaves nice lacing.

Classic tropical fruit and grape fruit bitterness that three floyds has just mastered. A bit of a gram cracker and caramel malt, light but there.

Wow...I do not recall this one being THIS hoppy. This is darn right intense stuff and I'm loving it. The finish is so clean and light, this could easily be a beer you down 2-3 growlers of over the course of a day of football viewing or something else. Just a perfectly drinkable beer.

I've already covered mouth feel to a degree, but more carbonation would help a nd i have a feeling the bottled version would resolve this.

I really can't say enough good stuff. It isn't overly flavorful with malt or sugar. It is just extremely tasty for the hop heads (if you don't like hops just avoid) and a nice drinking beer.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this off cask at The Map Room last Saturday, 1/22. Poured a clear golden amber red with a small bubbly head. The head was not thick, but somewhat lacy and intricate. Very nice appearance off the hand pull. The nose comes with big grapefruit, citric candy bubblegum with hints of peaches. Just so damn good...almost like a fruit salad in a glass.

First sip is smooth and hoppy with a beautiful melding of grapefruit and tropical fruit flavors. Very little carbonation, but it works damn well in this case. Hints of caramel peek through on the way down, with nice interplay of sweet and bitter notes. Wonderful, just wonderful.

Smooth and oh-so creamy mouthfeel goes down so easily. If you think Pride & Joy is a good session ale out of the bottle...just try it on cask and be blown away. This one could be drank all night long with no problem. Simply a great beer by Three Floyd's made even better on cask. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a clear, golden tan color with a medium, slightly yellow head

Smells like grapefruit and piney hops.

From the aroma, I was expecting yet another bitter IPA, but this is much smoother, more mellow, and much more mild. Just like the title says. However, for the first time aroma outperformed the flavor. The grapefruit and other sweet fruits barely make a blip while tasting. The main experience in the mouth is a very enjoyable bitter aftertaste. Even the pine sleeps. It's just an incredibly smooth, crisp, bitterness. And absolutely delicious.

Well carbonated. Very light feel on the tongue.

Extremely drinkable beer. They live up to being their self-proclaimed sessionable beer. I'd get this again in a heartbeat.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this piece of the 3F puzzle.

Pours out crystal gold and sits a nice deep orange-amber in the glass with plenty of gradient to please my eyes. Nice large, fluffy white head with good lacings.

Aroma just reeks of hops, but I mean that in the best way possible. Fresh citrus fruits, lemons, limes and grapefruit pour out through the oily hop nose. Nice malty sweetness beneath the blanketing of hops.

Tastes lightly sweet up front then begins to kick in with an onslaught of hops. Loads of citrus but maintains a nice flowery character. Leafiness abundant. Smooths out over time and eventually evens up with the malts. Rich malt profile that keeps up pace with the hops. Very well balanced and easy to handle.

Smooth, silky and paired with an equally delicate carbonation. Nice body, makes you want to hold on forever and ever.

If hops are your thing, you'll love it. I guess "American" must equal "hopped up." Still, damn tasty, whatever this may actually be. Once again, I'm saddened of the two brew selection I've got coming from 3F (Alpha King & Robert the Bruce)...well, at least they have their quality, and it shows.

EDIT (11/14/04): 3 Floyds is making a comeback! I am now able to get this beer on a regular basis...kick ass!

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

I have been drinking three floyd's beer's for a long time. And this one has alway's been a favorite of mine.

The aroma is loaded with fresh, fruity and spicy american hop's with a little bit of caramel malt's coming through.

Appearance is what you'd expect, a dark staw color with very nice head retention and lacing.

The flavor is to die for. I live in Illinois and am fortunate to get this beer fresh, I have tasted older batches and have been very dissapointed, hence this must be tasted when fresh. It starts out with a slight malty sweetness and then the fresh hop's come in and tingle you're pallette with sheer delight. The hop's achieve a strawberry like flavor, sound's strange I know but they do, then after the strawberry tinged hop flavor the caramel malt comes into play once more delivering a very satisfying blend of malt's and hop's that gently linger until the next sip.

I love this beer, I can easily down 12 of these in one night. As for the folk's that complain about it not being a true english mild, go pick up a sixer of fullers esb and have a great time. I would much rather drink this version anyday. After all, It's three floyd's meaning it's not normal, just what their six packs tell you.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.