1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Pride & Joy Mild AlePride & Joy Mild Ale

pDev: 11%

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

5.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This beer is 3 Floyd’s American “Mild” Ale. With a more assertive hop profile that British Milds and a relatively low alcohol content this is a great session beer that still has Pale Ale characteristics. Pride and Joy is a golden color with a fruity nose and a light caramel sweetness to balance the crisp finish. A truly refreshing ale that drinks easily.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,655 | Reviews: 661 | Show All Ratings:
7ate9

1.68/5  rDev -57%

pours a huge billowing, foamy head...something is amiss. color seems fine.

Smell is almost not there but what is there is a bit of sweet malt and some slight pickle.
Tastes like seltzer with a lingering aspirin-like bitterness on the finish.
Carb is good. Crisp. Feels fine.
I'm guessing this one had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Not that I would know it when I bought it, as FFF has no freshness info. Even fresh, their beers just don't do it for me, and never knowing how old the beer is that I'm buying seals the deal. I'm done.

06-28-2011 02:06:58 | More by 7ate9
Reverand

2.15/5  rDev -45%

I hate to pan any beer but I feel that in this case I have to. Reading the beer style description this beer by no means is a mild ale. I think this beer would be better off as a IPA instead. Extremely hoppy for a mild ale and not as dark as I thought it should be. A bit thin in body and a little too much floral in the nose. Sorry Three Floyds I think you missed the mark on this one.

08-17-2005 08:45:15 | More by Reverand
tjthresh

Indiana

2.33/5  rDev -40.4%

12 oz bottle. Tones of pungant hops very little malt character. Pour pale with an orange/brown hue. Very little head and no lace. Massive hop flavor but still no real malt present. Super bitter. Kind of makes me cringe to swallow. Light body. Pretty puckering. Not real easy to drink. By far my least favorite 3F brew. I’m sure glad the rest are pretty great.

08-22-2005 17:18:26 | More by tjthresh
Boilermaker88

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

Presented in a 12oz bottle with no “best before” date, Pride and Joy has an apricot color, a small head and virtually no lace. The aroma was mild, of biscuity malt and hints of citrus and floral hops. I found I had to almost work to gain any meaningful nose from this beer. The taste was of caramel malts, some toffee and hints of butter. Little hops presence in the finish. The feel was light, slick and oily.
On a whole, I was disappointed with this offering from Three Floyds. The taste was out of balance and the feel was not too pleasing, either. Maybe it was poorly stored or old but I’m not in any hurry to find another for comparison.

11-07-2003 19:26:16 | More by Boilermaker88
winomark

Missouri

2.53/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a medium copper with an almost non-existent head.

Aroma: Fairly mild aroma of sweet malt. Everythign else seems muted.

Taste: Slightly smoky yet dry throughout. Mild malt and hops offer balance.

Mouthfeel: Quite dry and light. Slightly metallic, which is very distracting.

Drinkability: WIll have to try this one again, becuase this is a bit austere to be a "session" beer as they claim it to be.

11-23-2003 14:47:24 | More by winomark
DrainBamage

2.55/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a cloudy orange color with very little head and carbonation. All I can smell is the hops. Man is it strong. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderate carbonation. Taste is very bitter with mild malt flavor. Too bitter for me. I didn't think a English Dark Mild would ever be this bitter. Drinkability would be higher, but the bitterness is too much. I don't know if I'll ever have this again.

07-30-2005 03:21:35 | More by DrainBamage
JNewbs

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

Had this on tap at Lizardville in Bedford Hts, OH. I will preface this with the fact that they had the beer listed as an Amber Ale, not a Pale Ale (or Mild Ale, whatever that is).

A - The look fits the bill. Slightly orange-gold, tall white head with light lacing.

S - Nothing to write home about, the aroma of this beer was very ordinary. No powerful notes, but some light caramel maltiness.

T - Follows the nose. The flavor was very mild with no outstanding notes. It doesn't have much in the way of richness or malt that was on the nose. I drank it pretty quickly to get to the next beer - an unconscious habit I developed back in the Natty swilling days for beer that didn't taste good. When I realized what was happening, I knew this beer was going to get negative marks.

M - Relatively thin and uninspiring.

Not much to take "Pride" or "Joy" in about this beer. At least not to me. If you're looking for something easy drinking that won't take your attention away from conversation, this is it. If you're looking for something that will match the hype from the brewery and the wacky label, then it's not.

10-12-2011 13:41:55 | More by JNewbs
jimbotrost

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

Sorry for the low score, but this is not a mild. This is definately a Pale ale or an IPA or something in that family. It is an excellent well made beer but not a mild. The pour is bright copper color with a full white head and lace on the glass, nice. Ahint of malt introduces the flavor before the hop assault starts. The beer is crisp and very dry and dries out even more in the finish. A nice pale ale

09-01-2005 20:19:49 | More by jimbotrost
Kkottonmouthkngz

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: this one looks good, rich amber to golden yellow on the bottom. builds a frothy off white head fairly quickly, but doesnt stick around for long. the body is beautiful.
S: fairly inviting, decent amount of citrusy hops with no one
particular fruit smell pulling past another. some mild orange and lime hints. the more i strive however, the more muddled it seems and i grow less impressed. it was fairly potent as soon as i poured, but quickly dissipated.
T: wow this really just backed off. its not bad by any means, i just thought it was gonna have more to it based on my original impulse. i get some orange peel, some lemon or lime zest, and not a whole lot else. it falls a little flat to me... like its just some hop characteristic with not much flavor to back it up.
M: meh. its got decent amount of carbonation, but because the flavors are so flat it really just doesnt do much for me. it just gets kind of watery towards the backend.
D: ill finish it, but wont seek it out again. kind of boring.

02-19-2011 22:04:16 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

I thought this was a Mild Ale and not an American Pale Ale. I never would have purchased it, otherwise. Besides being a bit peeved over the mis-labeling I thought this ale was just another run-of-the-mill American Cascade packed hop beverage. Its appearence was a light amber, plenty of head and a big whiff of cascade hops in the nose. The taste was dominated by the Cascades with a moderate malt background; the body was average. The finish smooth with a touch of sweetness.

02-25-2011 18:34:07 | More by jpkoch1962
TheDudeRules

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a Surly imperial pint.

Amber in color. A foot of off white head. Cotton candy nose. Slightly bitter taste. Hop forward with some citrus. Plenty of caramel malt. Rather skunky finish. And gee... An aspirin like aftertaste. Incredibly average beer across the board. I guess 3 Floyds can't hit all homeruns.

Pass.

Serving type: growler

09-04-2011 02:33:33 | More by TheDudeRules
PatandDavid

Thanks to fellow BA UncleJimbo for the chance to try this one. Appearance: slightly cloudy orange amber. Cream colored head disappeared quickly, and I have no head left. Bubbles on the bottom of my glass rise slowly. Smell: prominent malt, but some earthy notes I am also picking up low grapefruity hop notes. Taste: The earthy note I picked up on earlier is at the front again, followed by low malt, and a trickle of citrusy hop bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel: The best feature, small tickly carbonation, not too thin. Drinkability: Not as much a: "gotta get that again" brew as the abv promised imo.

01-22-2006 23:22:28 | More by PatandDavid
CDBeerDisappear

Translucent orange amber with a half inch rocky head that quickly settles into a thin layer with yeasty looking islands. Aroma is floral and not very pungent. The floral smell comes across in the taste as well. I would call it bitter and floral. If you swallow it 'hard' there is kind of an angry bitterness at the back of the throat. That is kind of cool! I would and will drink this again but there are many beers that I like more than this one.

Just noticed that this beer has an IBU rating of 29. I find this fascinating because I perceive it as being more bitter than DIPA's with five times the IBU rating

01-10-2008 21:45:45 | More by CDBeerDisappear
DukeofAle

Iowa

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

I tried this beer because I was so impressed with some of the other 3F products. To me it is not hoppy enough to qualify as an APA - I'd have thought it was more of an english bitters.

The first 6-pk I tried was very foamy - excessively so. I assumed this was not typical so sometime later I bought a second 6 but with the same results - explosively foamy. I like plenty of head so this is an odd complaint for me. Retention was poor, smell and taste average at best. Mouthfeel is somewhat this and watery in my opinion. American Pale Ale, IPA and Imperial stouts are my favourite styles - there are much better APA's to choose from.

02-23-2008 22:23:38 | More by DukeofAle
CuriousMonk

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Pours a nice dark golden color with some fluffy white head that doesn't stick around for too long, but leaves some very nice lacing on the glass throughout the session. The aroma is overwhelmingly hoppy with some pine, caramel, and citrus notes coming through. Flavor is a bit more mild, but less pleasant when compared with the aroma with some slight bitterness throughout. There are dark particles at the bottom sitting of my glass (the darkest sediments I ever seen). Fizzy light mouthfeel, due to the moderation carbonation. This is a tasty brew, but my not quite as delicious as my favorite APA from Three Floyds - Alpha King.

02-16-2011 00:37:40 | More by CuriousMonk
Winter

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

Color is a hazy brownish orange with an off-white head that's about 1 finger thick. Aroma was quite interesting-- a combination of hops, grapefruit and madarin orange. Medium body with a smooth mouthfeel. Citrusy, hoppy middle. Creamy finish with a lemony hop bitterness to it. Combo of citrus and hop are good, yet at times a little too bitter and sour. I think this would be a more refreshing beer in summer than in winter when I sampled it.

12-05-2002 20:44:46 | More by Winter
Stubbie1

Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

This P & J poured a deep gold color. White tan head on top quickly faded to a thin lace. There is constant pearling going on in the glass. Aroma is a bit grassy and a citrus pop to it. Nothing overwhelming but pleasant. Taste is a dry citrus front with and mild malt mid and a bitter crisp finish, a bit on the watery side, I feel it is missing something. Maybe a bit more of a malt background?

It is a good beer but I wouldn’t go out of the way to buy it again.

08-14-2005 23:38:06 | More by Stubbie1
nouseforotacon

Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

This one was also courtesy of IndyBeer. Thanks! Pours out a medium-toned, peachy-looking amber. Warm, hazy bottom, with a weak film head on top.

Grassy, citrus aroma with a hint of lingering malts. Very simple, straight-forward aroma, and an overall weak nose.

Splash of water hits the tongue first, with a bit of carbonation, followed by the grassy, citrus notes and some malts. Crisp, with a hop finish and bite, paired with a toasted character. Lingering grapefruit, but again, not a whole lot else.

Buttery smooth mouthfeel really saves this brew for me, because otherwise, this one is about average. A toned down IPA, and yeah, it's not like an English mild.

11-11-2006 20:16:16 | More by nouseforotacon
UnionMade

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

I was sort of confused as to why 3 Floyds would make a style that calls for very little hops. They seem to revel in the plant. Pours a nice rich brown, with a pleasing khaki head. Aroma is way too hoppy. You can smell the hops, for starters. Malts smell right, but are overwhelmed by the floral hoppiness. Flavor is also off. Way, way too much hops. Mild roastiness and some bittersweet bready flavors. It irritates me that these guys just overhop everything, like it's a source of pride. Carbonation is way too high, hops are mellow for 3 Floyds, but still way too high for this style. They should have called it an american brown ale, because that's what it is. I rated the drinkability higher, because it is a good beer, but i was hoping for and expecting a smooth english mild.

07-28-2003 18:34:22 | More by UnionMade
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

I poured this slightly aged with very little head and almost no lace. Clear, amber color tinged with brown. Aroma is a fruity hoppiness with some hints of citrus, some maltiness. the body is a bit thin, but certainly very drinkable. Flavor's about the same as aroma, just more intense. Relatively short hoppy finish.

04-14-2007 21:27:08 | More by drpimento
AltBock

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle with another one of Three Floyds' crazy looking characters on the label. This one has a blue skinned, crossed eyed, elf eared, Jay Leno chinned, tongue sticking out, Pinocchio nosed joker with pint of beer sitting on top of his gray joker hat. He's holding a magic wand in his right hand while his arms are crossed like they're in a straight jacket. It's creepy and somewhat funny at the same time. Around this character is the name of the beer and the Three Floyds symbol of 3 hands holding a a gold coin with the initials "FFF" in it. To the left of the picture is the Government warning and the barcode, while on the left side is a little blurb about the beer, a map showing you how to get to the brewery, and the refund prices. Don't waste your time looking for a date because it doesn't exist on the bottle or the label. Served in a Bell's Brewery American Pint glass.

Pride & Joy poured a golden orange color with a slight tint of amber to it. It had half an inch in height head of white fizzy bubbles that quickly fizzled away into in to a few clear bubbles along the edge of the beer and no lace around the glass. Not even white bubbles acting as the lace. That would have been better than nothing at all. Very disappointing appearance. The smell was no better than the appearance. To get the slightest aroma to emerge, I had to swirl the beer around for a couple of minutes for anything to come out. Even then it wasn't that good. The aroma was that of citrus hops, a lemon peel, toasted malts, and a pinch of English toffee in the back. To get a whiff of the toffee, you really need to stick your nose into it and even then you might not catch it. Where it matters most of all is where this beer finally came out. The taste was mild and slightly dry with a slice of grapefruit, toasted malts, a few more citrus fruits, and with a mild punch of bitter citrus hops in the background. The mouthfeel was light, but yet it had a nice aftertaste of dry roasted bitter citrus hops. I noticed that toward the end of the mouthfeel, it got somewhat watery. Not too watery, but I still noticed it was there. They label this as a "classic session ale." I guess you could make this a reasonably priced Three Floyds session ale, but I wouldn't. I didn't care for it that much. A Three Floyds beer that can be easily passed up for some of their other offerings.

04-24-2007 05:14:35 | More by AltBock
WoodBrew

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

So I sitting at the bar enjoying a Gumball Head when I survey the beer selection and see....Three Floyds Pride and Joy....I figure "why not"! I pour the beer and find a cloudy golden color with thin white head. Wasn't much to smell either. The taste was decent as well as the mouth feel. Drinkability...SESSION!!! All night long baby....just like Lionel! Probably a bad idea to have this after the Great Gumball Head....but hey this is a decent beer!!! Enjoy my friends!!!

01-30-2011 19:35:21 | More by WoodBrew
BeerLover99

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A: deep yellow/orange hue body, 1 finger head, wonderful lacing

S: hint of orange peel, lemon zest, big pine, big wheat

T: big pine and wheat, then crisp long bitter finish

M: med/light body, firm carbonation,
prick on tongue, semi-dry finish

O: First let me say, I love Three Floyds and what they do and what they are all about, but I'm not a huge fan of this particular beer.
Body of a pale ale, but hops of an IPA.
Great session brew, very hoppy, earthy pale ale.

SOLID PALE ALE, BUT NOT A MUST HAVE!

05-07-2011 01:52:14 | More by BeerLover99
maximum12

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Thanks to crushedvol for dropping this in a box that showed up recently, one Three Floyds brew that I hadn't tracked down yet. Here we go.

Bottle goes into a pint glass & it looks like beer, orange/amber cross, yup. Nose is pale malt & highly grainy, good thing this isn't a black & white movie. Touch of hops, maybe citrus, little honey.

Pride & Joy mimics its nose like a pro Bready malt backbone, whipsaw graininess, that light honey sweetness on the down-low, light hoppy bitterness without much flavor right at the end. The graininess takes a little away from wanting to drink much of this, & it's strangely heavy for a pale.

Overall, there are much better pales out there, but this is decent enough. Inoffensive & easy to get along with.

01-12-2012 02:39:08 | More by maximum12
jackndan

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Three Floyds Pride & Joy: Copper color, nice head, with a good stickiness. The aroma is nice, oranges, or at least a hint of the Florida fruit. Wow, this is a nice beer, but cripes it is as unremarkable a brew as I’ve seen lately. In other words, its got good taste, but there were five of us sitting there and not one could come up with a better description than it tastes like “beer.” After much effort, we concluded that there was some caramel malts, but this beer is balanced with a passion. Its good, but I can’t explain why.

04-25-2003 21:25:07 | More by jackndan