Pride & Joy Mild Ale - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

A smooth, medium-bodied session beer with bright citrus hop aroma and finish. Our interpretation of an American Mild Ale.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pride & Joy Mild Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

A - An orange color beer with a small head that left behind a little bit of lacing.

S - Pretty nice meld of aromas: caramel malts, some pine and citrus hops, with some farmy grass like smell. Nothing really jumps out at you as awesome, but it smells good.

T - More malty than hoppy, but it's an easy drinker. Caramel and bready matls on the front with a bit of citrus and grassy hops on the end. It gets a little bitter right at the finish.

M - Medium-light with good carbonation.

O - Not a bad APA, although not the amazing thing that is Alpha King. I'd go with this one if you like your APAs slightly more malt forward, but still with a bit of hops.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle poured in pint glass. Thanks to JohnPPutz for the extra!

A - Clear, light orange color. Minimal eggshell color head with very slight lacing.

S - Nice balance between citrus, pine, and floral notes, the floral notes were espeically nice!

T - Hops are upfront but not overpowering. Again, nice balance with the hop flavors. Enough sweetness to really bring out the floral notes, but I would never call this beer sweet.

M - light to medium. Medium to high carbonation. Very easy drinking.

D- High, called a session beer and I can see this big time! If I could get it here in Cali, this would be a fridge staple.

Great session beer, plenty of flavor, easy drinking, low ABV.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Aroma: Piny and Floral Hops, slight sweetness from the malt.

Appearance: Amber with a thick, frothy, off-white head. Leaves some sticky lace down the side of the glass.

Taste: Tastes very similar to how it smells, with big pine flavors mixed with crisp citrus, balanced out with sweet caramel malts.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, crisp and clean.

Drinkability: This is an absolutely smooth session beer. At 5%, you can enjoy a few of these without overpowering your taste buds.

Notes: Although I can't find any documentation on ingredients, this seems like a great showcase of one or more hop varieties such as Cascade and Amarillo. Overall very smooth, this is an ale that even casual drinkers can enjoy. I've seen this in local South Bend, Elkhart and Mishawaka liquor stores, or you could pick up a growler from their brewpub in Munster.

Grade: B+

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Big thanks to Jeff for knocking off a bunch of wants in a recent box. This being one of them!

A: The pour is a nice rich amber color with a finger of white head some spotty lacing is left on the glass as I drink it down.

S: Just a really fresh and vibrant hop aroma to this beer. Tons of pine and grapefruit peel with a hint of grass. Touches of sweetness from both fruity, citrusy hops and the bready malt base.

T: Slightly more malt forward than the nose lets on. Toasted bread and hints of caramel on the front end, but still plenty of hop character. Very floral and perfumey with a moderate pine note and bitterness.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

O: Three Floyds really does hoppy beers well and this is no exception. A really nice pale ale.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Great merangue like head with good lacing. Tons of slow rising bubbles. Beautiful burnt orange color.

S: Wow, hop forward, big time pine scented hops. Mild sweet biscuit malt.

T: Spicy hops right up front with a great sweet maltiness that balances it right out. Spicy hops hit the gums

M: great carbonation really lets the hops pop. Spicy hops again and a nice dry finish.

O: This is a really good pale ale and well above average. I really dig the hop spice and the well rounded balance at the end. I would definately purchase this if distributed in Missouri. Glad I got the chance to try it.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice amber ale, with a large frothy white head and superb lace.

Lovely hoppy-fresh aroma. Lightly citrus. Nice.

Refreshing flavor! I get the hops presence, but it's not harsh or overpowering. Plenty of malts there, too, so this one's not over-the-top.

This is a nicely-balanced session beer, not going for anything more than a very tasty and drinkable (and complex) profile. Worth drinking again.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of my least favorite Three Floyds beers to date but that didn't stop me from drinking 36 ounces of it. Oh yeah, served in a Three Floyds beer glass because I can.

Beer is amber and hazy with a soft white head of medium and small bubbles that leave a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation moderate to low.

Aroma is nice, pineapple and grapefruit.

Beer is sweet at first giving way to a floral hoppiness that finishes with a grainy aftertaste. It is an average beer that unfortunately shits on the term "mild"...I don't hate it, but I expected a flavorful low alcoholic malt and hop experience and what I got was a thin grainy water hop mess. I drank three of them and I doubt I'd go out of my way for more. Worth a try but does not need a repeat.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

I thought this was a Mild Ale and not an American Pale Ale. I never would have purchased it, otherwise. Besides being a bit peeved over the mis-labeling I thought this ale was just another run-of-the-mill American Cascade packed hop beverage. Its appearence was a light amber, plenty of head and a big whiff of cascade hops in the nose. The taste was dominated by the Cascades with a moderate malt background; the body was average. The finish smooth with a touch of sweetness.

Thanks to Khazadum for this one....

Pours medium amber into my nonic. Somewhat cloudy with just a skimming of white head. Smell is dominated by hops. Taste is quite hoppy as well. Lots of citrus hop flavor with some nice bready malt in the background. Carbonation seems a little low but doesn't detract from the beer at all. Finishes somewhat sweet. Goes down real well. I'm not sure I'd call it a mild ale(American Mild?), but I could certainly see myself drinking a few of these during the warmer months.

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: this one looks good, rich amber to golden yellow on the bottom. builds a frothy off white head fairly quickly, but doesnt stick around for long. the body is beautiful.
S: fairly inviting, decent amount of citrusy hops with no one
particular fruit smell pulling past another. some mild orange and lime hints. the more i strive however, the more muddled it seems and i grow less impressed. it was fairly potent as soon as i poured, but quickly dissipated.
T: wow this really just backed off. its not bad by any means, i just thought it was gonna have more to it based on my original impulse. i get some orange peel, some lemon or lime zest, and not a whole lot else. it falls a little flat to me... like its just some hop characteristic with not much flavor to back it up.
M: meh. its got decent amount of carbonation, but because the flavors are so flat it really just doesnt do much for me. it just gets kind of watery towards the backend.
D: ill finish it, but wont seek it out again. kind of boring.

A great beer it can be a gateway beer to the world of hops.
I tend to like hoppier beers but the simple true flavors I enjoy.

A - looks like a normal beer good head
S - a light fruit smell, light grapefruit and candy
T - taste like an old ale with a little more hops. It goes with all foods because of the mild flavor. A malt lover and hop head can enjoy together.
M - light and carbonated
D - I like IPAs the most but if I could only have one type of beer in my house this could be it. My malty lover friends and I could enjoy this beer after lawn mowing or a bike ride on a hot day.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

A-Pours a Shiny Bright copy with a one finger head .Looks Amazing

S-Has a nice hop profile with some tangerine and citrus notes in it

T-Has a Citus peel taste with some bitter pine notes to it

M-Light Body but not the flavor i was looking for

D- this is a decent beer and very drinkable, just kinda boring to me. FFF has alot better beers out there. Give this one a try but don't expect to be wowed by this beer

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Pours a nice dark golden color with some fluffy white head that doesn't stick around for too long, but leaves some very nice lacing on the glass throughout the session. The aroma is overwhelmingly hoppy with some pine, caramel, and citrus notes coming through. Flavor is a bit more mild, but less pleasant when compared with the aroma with some slight bitterness throughout. There are dark particles at the bottom sitting of my glass (the darkest sediments I ever seen). Fizzy light mouthfeel, due to the moderation carbonation. This is a tasty brew, but my not quite as delicious as my favorite APA from Three Floyds - Alpha King.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle received in a trade, poured into my Troegs pint glass.

Pours a light golden copper with a couple fingers of creamy white head that lingers for a good while and leaves some pretty sick lacing as it fades.

Aroma is a great mix of citrus hops and sweet malt. Although this isn't as fresh as possible, it's really held quite the nice aroma. Makes me wonder what it would be like fresh out of the tap.

Taste starts off a little sweet before moving on to a slightly bitter hop resin taste with some citrus rind a slightly dry, hoppy finish. Notes of caramel malt are present throughout.

Mouthfeel is average for a 5% pale ale, and the carbonation is present but it feels relatively light compared to what I was expecting from that large head. I should have compared this one side by side with Alpha King as the Pride and Joy really nails the pale ale category, but I wouldn't necessarily advertise it as a "mild" though at 5%, it is quite sessionable.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy amber with one finger of off white head. Some head remains throughout.

Smell: Citrus and pine hops with a slight caramel malt sweetness.

Taste: Here the bready malt flavor dominates with citrus peel and pine hop bitterness taking a back seat. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: On the thin side of medium body. The carbonation could be described as tingly, and there could be more. The finish is quite dry.

Drinkability: This is a pretty good beer. I would definitely have another one, but it's not my favorite from 3 Floyds.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

So I sitting at the bar enjoying a Gumball Head when I survey the beer selection and see....Three Floyds Pride and Joy....I figure "why not"! I pour the beer and find a cloudy golden color with thin white head. Wasn't much to smell either. The taste was decent as well as the mouth feel. Drinkability...SESSION!!! All night long baby....just like Lionel! Probably a bad idea to have this after the Great Gumball Head....but hey this is a decent beer!!! Enjoy my friends!!!

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a bright and shiny light copper with straw highlights and a frothy and healthy looking off white. looks nice. very inviting.

The smell is quite familiar. A basic three floyds hop profile. juicy tangerines, sharp lime, mildly sweet pineapple, leafy hops, cantaloupe husk, a tick of wet copper. veddy nice.

The taste is very mild. crisp and bitter with little flavor profile. easy to drink, just very boring. like awesome smelling carbonated water or something. I remember at one time really enjoying this beer, but it seems to be lacking a malt profile that I recall. all I get on the flavor is a bit of earth and then it just kind of leaves a bitter taste on the back of the tongue. the feel is nice and I suppose it's easy to drink. I let it warm up significantly and it improved with a bit of beery yeast and spicy flavors that were decent.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

APPEARANCE: Golden yellow with a white frothy head, that disappears leaving a nice lacing on the glass.

AROMA: My first thought is sour, then some citrus and pine hops. Also a hint grassy and a bit of sweet malt in the nose.

FLAVOR: First thing I pick up right out of the gate is grassy, citrusy, piney hop flavor. A touch of sweetness from malt as well. Very mild.

PALATE: Very light, almost creamy, and lightly carbonated.

NOTES: This is a great beer, and a great example of an American Pale Ale with a nice balance of hop to malt, and lightly floral and grassy notes. This was super enjoyable, and would be a great sold beer for a hot summer day. A real session beer in my opinion.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Pours a light caramel color with a small, off white head.

S- Hints of citrusey hops, slightly grainy

T- Light fruits, nice hop presence all the way through a little mettalic.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- This is a nice brew but with other great APAs out there I can;t see revisiting it.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Recieved this as an extra in a recent trade with Josh (Alleykatking). Poured from the 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Pint.

A - Pours a hazy copper, light carmel color. Looks unfiltered or like a wheat beer. Intriguing. This baby's got some crazy carbonation, head pourings going on. It took me 4 pours to get all the beer out of the bottle into the glass. Head is off white and super fluffy. Sometimes up to 4 or 5 fingers tall.

S - Smell is pretty simple but still arousing. Some citrusy hops hit the nose first, not too complex but glad to smell this. Behind that I get some sweet malts and some roasted, smokey malts. Overall, citrusy in the nose.

T - Taste is interesting but overly simple. Leaves something to be desired but is still a great brew. I definitely see the session ale in this one. Taste is of citrus hops, orange, grapefruit, and the same malts that are in the nose.

M - Mouthfeel is excellent. I love the style of carbonation that the FFF beers seem to have. Very smooth and small bubbles that really hold the beer up well.

D - A great session ale with nothing too complex going on but a overall smooth and wonderful beer.
Thanks Josh!

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: A nice bright copper color with a two finger white head.

S: Hops, citrus - grapefruit and a hint of lime.

T: Definitely taste the citrus hops.

M: Good body, light carbonation.

D: Good stuff. Perhaps a bit one dimensional. Overall, very good.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Served on-tap @ Comet Cafe on 12-17-10 and presented in a pint glass.

Pours a golden copper color with a two-finger, frothy white head with good retention. Aromas of citrus hops and pine.

Opens bold and juicy with flavors of grapefruit and citrus hops coming through loud and proud. Suggestions of pine resin surface, followed by a tang of lime. Crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Hop bitterness dominates, but is held in check by enough pale malt to make this APA imminently sessionable. Well balanced and extremely refreshing.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - Bronze-copper color, with a substantial bright white head. Good lacing.

S - Floral hops, impressed with the power of the aroma

T - Pretty good. Bitterness is a little overpowering...I was expecting more balance, but the malts are nearly non-existent. A little one-dimensional.

M - Nice body, a little slick. OK

D - I could go for another when I'm in the mood for straight hops and didn't what the IPA/DIPA abv.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I snagged a six pack of this at my local store cause I know it just came in and is fresh. Pours out a copper color, with a half inch head. Not much effervescence, head turns into a thin lacey bit. Smell is a big floral smack of lemony/lime/grapefruit hops and candied malts, like Alpha king but less dank and resinous, easier on the nose is how I'd put it. Taste is citric hop, more lemon, less grapefruit and some balance from a lightly toasty malt, never overly sweet or too rich. This beer is quite balanced, far more than Alpha King, which is great, don't get me wrong, but THIS is the APA, that is definitely an IPA, both not normal! Anyway, mouthfeel is rich and full but never overwhelming and though technically not a session beer, I could definitely learn to like more of these. Pride and Joy is highly drinkable with a refreshingly large dose of citric hops that makes this a great break from all the big bold APA's and IPA out there.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

This bad boy took 4 or 5 pours to get everything in the glass. TONS of fluffy white/light tan head that reaches 6 or 7 fingers high at times. When everything settles down the body is a beautiful slightly hazy copper. The aroma is very simple and shows some light citrus hops with grainy malt sweetness. The flavor is fully of that classic cascade citrus. The body is light with subtle carbonation and shows off the sweet malt well.

This is a really tasty beer. Nothing extraordinary, but a really great solid sessionable pale ale. The flavor is impressive for a 5% beer. I will be sure to trade for this one again.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub