Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Pride & Joy Mild AlePride & Joy Mild Ale

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A smooth, medium-bodied session beer with bright citrus hop aroma and finish. Our interpretation of an American Mild Ale.

Reviews: 691 | Hads: 2,179
3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Three Floyds Pride & Joy: Copper color, nice head, with a good stickiness. The aroma is nice, oranges, or at least a hint of the Florida fruit. Wow, this is a nice beer, but cripes it is as unremarkable a brew as I’ve seen lately. In other words, its got good taste, but there were five of us sitting there and not one could come up with a better description than it tastes like “beer.” After much effort, we concluded that there was some caramel malts, but this beer is balanced with a passion. Its good, but I can’t explain why.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to crushedvol for dropping this in a box that showed up recently, one Three Floyds brew that I hadn't tracked down yet. Here we go.

Bottle goes into a pint glass & it looks like beer, orange/amber cross, yup. Nose is pale malt & highly grainy, good thing this isn't a black & white movie. Touch of hops, maybe citrus, little honey.

Pride & Joy mimics its nose like a pro Bready malt backbone, whipsaw graininess, that light honey sweetness on the down-low, light hoppy bitterness without much flavor right at the end. The graininess takes a little away from wanting to drink much of this, & it's strangely heavy for a pale.

Overall, there are much better pales out there, but this is decent enough. Inoffensive & easy to get along with.

A: deep yellow/orange hue body, 1 finger head, wonderful lacing

S: hint of orange peel, lemon zest, big pine, big wheat

T: big pine and wheat, then crisp long bitter finish

M: med/light body, firm carbonation,
prick on tongue, semi-dry finish

O: First let me say, I love Three Floyds and what they do and what they are all about, but I'm not a huge fan of this particular beer.
Body of a pale ale, but hops of an IPA.
Great session brew, very hoppy, earthy pale ale.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

A- Pours a light orange color with a two finger white, crater-y head.

S- Orange and a bit of pine with some muted grapefruit and a fair amount of caramel.

T-Orange and a little grapefruit with some caramel malt with a piney, mildly bitter finish.

M-A little thin for my tastes, a little watery. Medium carbonation.

D-Very easy drinking although there's not that much that interests me here. I didn't have the chance to look this up before buying it and expected a hoppy mild ale, not a pale ale, so it's a little disappointing in that regard as well.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

A- poured into 16oz nonic. 1cm white head, intriguing golden orange body with a slight haze.
S- All citurs upfront, slight hint of malt.
T- Mostly citrusy and hoppy, a bit of maltiness as well.
M- Medium-light body with medium carbonation.
D- An intereseting brew. I can see this being a good warm weather brew. Not the first beer I would reach for though. I'd like to see a better balance between malt and hops. The hops feel a little overpowering in this context.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Bottle from Fountainhead Chicago.

I thought this was a different style, so I was surprised to taste the hoppiness in this. The hops and bitterness wasn't overpowering as I've experienced with other pale ales, but it was definitely noticeable and distracting. Taste was that of grapefruit and pine (?). Very smooth and drinkable beer, but not my style and the hops to my taste buds are just too funky. I recommend this for pale ale lovers and hopheads, but not to people like me who don't care for them.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Light amber color with a light tan head that started nice but was gone quickly, with not much lacing. Smell was of ripe fruits and a sweet and syrupy lingering aroma. This ale was rather mild in terms of hop taste almost to mild. Had a more malty caramel sweet character than anything else. Overall a decent beer but nothing to go write home about. As for a session beer the extra low carbonation and syrupy sweetness would grow tiresome for me after a few.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

This brew pours a thin dirty white head along with an opaque orangish brown body. As expected, it is lightly carbonated and the flavor and aroma are absent of hops. This is a very easy drinking beer with a slightly tart taste on the tongue. You can see having a few of these with your friends down at a pub.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

pours golden with a large creme head on top. almost the same color as gumballhead, but maybe a slight bit more orange. could use some more carbonation. taste has some good citrus stuff happening and goes down pretty smooth. after a few minutes the head dissipates. goes pretty well with a mesquite turkey, bacon, cheddar, gouda, and dill pickle sandwich and some creedence. a decent beer, but one of the weaker three floyds beers. the gumballhead is better in every way except for the head.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

appearance: similar to the color of honey. thin white lacey head with no cling. visible carbonation.

smell: sharp hit of citrus and hops

taste: really just as it smells...the initial taste is crisp and somewhat grainy. this taste is brief and gives way to a whallop of bitter citrus and hops. refreshing and reminds me of a pale ale.

mouthfeel: heavily crisp

drinkability: easy to drink

3.27/5  rDev -17%

Had on-tap at Rustico's in Milwaukee, 6/1/09. I had one of these before my (very overpriced) meal and one during it for happy hour at said establishment.

Appearance: Somewhat cloudy, almost brown (but moreso bronzed). Decent retention on the off white head with very good lacing.

Smell: Mostly citrus (blood orange) with a bit of caramel present as well, but I was also able to detect some malt and hop presence.

Taste: Fairly hoppy for a Pale Ale, with the taste of particularly acidic oranges. The hops tasted a bit spicy, and the taste being hit the most to my tongue was that of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, medium-light bodied, creamy and not too heavy or thick. It tasted very rich and my taste buds absolutely loved it.

Drinkability: An enjoyable beer, and quite a different Pale Ale. I've had a few beers by Three Floyd's, and this one lives up to the reputation of the Alpha King and Dreadnaught. If you see it somewhere, it's worth a shot. However, it's nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a amberish orange in color. Decent head forms on the pour. Smell is light malts and just a hint of the FFF hopping. Not a whole lot of the hops coming through in the taste. The malts and a bit of caramel/toffee as well. Decent mild and easy drinking.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

A- Amber with an inch of foam. Retention is just ok and pretty decent lacing.

S- sweet smell with a faint grassy and citrusy smell.

T- slightly grassy and bitter

M- extremely light and thin.

O- great session beer. Slightly bitter and not too heavy. Delicious.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

A light amber color with a thin off white colored head, that dissolves quickly and leaves a slight film on top. The aroma starts witha piney, earthy scent, that mellows out to sweet malt fragrance. The flavor comes out with that malty mellow flavo, that rolls on the palate, then as it reaches the end a slight smack of bitterness, mostly citrusy, hits the palate. A thin to medium feel, leaving a dry finish. Everything about this beer makes want it to be good to great, but it does not reach that expectation. The hops seem off kilter, like it is trying to be the ant-mild mild. It is still better than alot of other beers out there.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Living in Chicago I am lucky to have access to Three Floyd's lineup on a first-come-first-serve basis. It's not that hard to find 3F beers in chicago...it's just that if you aren't buying it from the brewery then you usually have a limited selection. This is one of the ones that usually gets neglected when people snap up 3F at the stores. For example I heard someone at Binny's last week ask a worker if they have any 3F in stock. The worker replied: "Well, we have a few six packs of Pride & Joy" To which the costumer said: "Awwww dammit, that sucks." I've overlooked this beer, as I think many people have in our area.

The beer itself isn't spectacular. Right one the bottle it says "Mild Ale"...and yes it is mild for 3F standards. Nothing stands out. But I can see why they make it. Perfect for hipsters who want to drink 3F, but can't stand hops. With a lower ABV it is certainly sessionable, but at the $11.99 per sixer price (plus Chicago taxes) I don't see it being worth it for the price as a session beer. Now if it were $7.99 per sixer I'd be much more pleased.

My preference of Pale Ales (NOTE: I prefer the Hoppier-styled APAs)
Zombie Dust>Alpha King> ---(Then a gap)---Daisy Cutter>Sierra Nevada>Pride&Joy

All in all, I'd pass on it. Nothing special. Which I love changing up the ABV and IBUs in what I drink, but even still I just personally don't like this and wouldn't seek it out again. There are many other Pale Ales I would grab before this one.

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz. bottle transported across the RI border. Bottle-conditioned. Sweet label. Pours light copper, small creamy white cap. No real head, hints of lacing. Not English, not dark, and not a mild.

Nose is of peaches, nectarines, orange rind, and grainy dough. Flavor is much the same, balanced well, and riding on that medium-bodied cookie-dough base. Sizzly bitter flavor is borderline annoying (can you say Amarillos? Arrg!). Bland yeast leaves just the hops present at the finish - very bitter and harsh.

Not what I was expecting or really wanting, this is a straight-up American Pale Ale through and through, and not one that pleases me too much. While I can respect that they execute it decently, its just boring. This hop, if it is indeed my nemesis Amarillos, needs to crawl back into the ground that it first grew in. Its sizzly aspirin character grates on my palate like sandpaper on a sunburn.

While I personally don't enjoy it, it is a fresh-tasting, quality beer.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - A definite hop presence that pretty much makes up the entire aroma.

Appearance - Reddish orange with a off-white head.

Taste - Kind of hoppy but not abundantly so. Decently balanced with the sweet malt background

Notes - I was interested in trying this beer because the label said mild. However BA's calling it a APA makes much more sense for what the style of this beer is. I was a little disappointed.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Others may differ in their interpretation of "dark mild". Please bear that in mind when reading this review.

"Dark" mild? This one seems more an Americanized bastardization of "AK" than any "dark" mild. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to call this one a mild at all. More like an ordinary or special bitter to me.

Got this in a bottle at "Chalkies", a pool hall/beer joint in Indianapolis. It poured nicely, although I wouldn't have poured it the way the bartender insisted on pouring it for me (why, oh why, do they think they know how to pour? Give the the damn bottle and leave me be.). He was a little less than gentle with the bottle, stirring up more than a few flakes of all the lovelies that had settled in the bottom of the bottle. Hard to really rate the appearance of a beer that resembles a snowglobe when you peer at it through the side of the glass. Oh well, that's not the brewer's fault. It's very, very pale for a "dark" mild, and is in fact paler than most "pale" ales. I have to say I was surprised at how pale it truly was, especially when expecting something dark.

The beer poured nicely. Decent head, which collapsed nearly immediately, which with a mild can be a good sign that the beer isn't over carbonated. Sadly, it appears it was, at least for a mild. This gave the beer a prickly mouthfeel that doesn't seem in character for a mild to me at all.

The nose was almost all hops. Most any mild I've ever tried is rather lightly hopped, and then more for bitterness, with just a touch of taste and/or aroma. This one was hopped like a pale ale. A darned decent pale ale, but a pale none the less.

The taste was fine... again, for a pale. I would have enjoyed drinking more than one had it been what I was expecting. As it was, it was off-putting a bit. I expected a dark, roasty, malty, lightly hoped, light to medium body ale, AKA a "dark mild". What I was poured was a pale, hoppy, light bodied, crisply carbonated "bitter". To say I was disappointed would be understating it. Note again that's "disappointed", not "disgusted". It's a good beer. It just isn't what they say it is.

All in all this really isn't a bad beer. It just isn't a "mild" in my humble opinion, and certainly isn't a "dark" one by any means. Perhaps if they keep that recipe and change the style designation, this one would be a high scorer. As it is, I can't go too high. Avoid it, unless you're aware what you're going to get from the bottle.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a pint glass from tap, it pours an amber color that appears very clean and refined. Very little head but surface layer and some slight lacing on the sides of the glass. However, nothing to write home about.

Cascade hops and lemon/grapefruits are on display here with the aroma. Mainly a bit of lemony-fresh pine sol aromas that leave a lot to be desired...a little pepper adds to this one.

Lemon-Pepper is how I would describe this taste w/ some florals and pine up front. Lots of hops flavors take over this one and slightly creamy. However, the carbonation takes away from the flavors.

Carbonation out the ying-yang! It hits the tip of your tongue and kills alot of flavors, as well as teh temperature served (chilled) hurt this one a bit I think. Easy to drink due to the light body- definitely a nice spring/summer brew. I'd like to say I liked this one, but I would be a liar...I've had better.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

Tried on June 21, 2008 12 oz.

Has a medium lacy cream colored head. Beer is bubbly, slightly hazy burnt orange. Very fragrant aroma, mouth watering floral and resin, grapefruit and teatree. Had once on tap at 3 floyds and was better on tap, but still pretty good. Medium body, fizzy and alcohol is moderate. Ruby grapefruit sweetness throughout. Hops are pleasantly bitter until finish which is a bit like orange pith.

Will have again at 3 Floyds.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured an orangish gold, had sort of a nice light citrus malt aroma.The head was substantial and stuck around, the taste was a soft thin, malt flavor, with a little hop bitterness that comesin at the end. I guess its better than drinking a macro, but compared to other TF products, its like drinking their version of a light.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a bright and shiny light copper with straw highlights and a frothy and healthy looking off white. looks nice. very inviting.

The smell is quite familiar. A basic three floyds hop profile. juicy tangerines, sharp lime, mildly sweet pineapple, leafy hops, cantaloupe husk, a tick of wet copper. veddy nice.

The taste is very mild. crisp and bitter with little flavor profile. easy to drink, just very boring. like awesome smelling carbonated water or something. I remember at one time really enjoying this beer, but it seems to be lacking a malt profile that I recall. all I get on the flavor is a bit of earth and then it just kind of leaves a bitter taste on the back of the tongue. the feel is nice and I suppose it's easy to drink. I let it warm up significantly and it improved with a bit of beery yeast and spicy flavors that were decent.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Alright, not the biggest mild fan. Reviewing this from notes, been awhile. Appearance, poured like a restrained orangey amberish beer, didn't have anything pungent (it is a mild right?) aroma wise.

Taste was pleasant, it was a good restrained hop amount, decent malt backbone, light roasting. Reminded me of a small beer version of the Alpha King. Easy drinking, didn't thin out midway through, enjoyed it.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

First things first, I have to give it up for the artwork and naming of the beer from Three Floyds Brewing. The Pride and Joy set the mood to really enjoy this beer and have fun. The look of this beer was cloudy and amber in color. It smelled sweet and fruity...a citric aroma...grapefruit. Had a nice smooth taste with no real after taste. I did enjoy this beer. It didn't impress me but it's a good solid brew. I recommend their web site, it's fun.

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into FFF Teku glass

Appearance: Copper, orange color with a solid two fingers off white head that settled slowly to a ring of tight bubbles along the edge of the glass. It is semi-clear in that light can penetrate but it's still slightly hazy, too.

Smell: Slight hop presence but seems dominated by malt and grains. I do pick out some citrus notes although subdue for sure. Orange and bready combined.

Taste: Bready with a slight caramel sweetness followed by a mild hop tingle.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a light feeling beer that seems almost watery. A very refreshing beer.

Overall: This is one of my favorite summer beers because its so damn refreshing and easy to drink. This just goes down so very easy and is a beer that I dare say, is session able.

Pride & Joy Mild Ale from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.