Robert The Bruce - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,908 | Reviews: 967
3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Dated 2/23/2015. Served in a FFF pint glass 4/13/2015. Surprised I haven't gotten around to this one; I had this for the very first time two years ago when I first visited Three Floyds... this one brings back memories for sure.

A- Darker reddish-brown body, illuminates only the faintest brown in the light. Two finger thick, effervescent off-white head with very good retention time, not a lot of lacing.

S- Toasted malt, toffee. A bit boring on the nose, to be honest. No complexity although it doesn't smell bad or give off any off-flavours in any way.

F- Clean toffee, toasted malt, English biscuits, a bit of crisp, fresh earthy flavour, slight graininess, plenty of flavour. Not complex, but tasty and reasonably balanced although there is definitely a lean towards toasted malt sweetness.

M- Medium bodied, substantial, slightly slick and sweet but in a very drinkable way. No off flavours, a mild earthy bitterness on the backend that makes this more balanced than most other Scottish Ales out there.

O- A solid Scottish Ale, and one has to appreciate the history of this beer as it is one of the ones that put Three Floyds on the map well before Zombie Dust.

4.69/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best Scottish Ale I have had (and I have tried many!). Full flavor, not bitter and a taste that lingers on the tongue perfectly. Very slight nuttiness. Great with a hearty meal or even better all by itself. Strong recommendation!

3.87/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle poured into a mug.

A - Poured a dark, almost opaque brown, with a very pronounced head.

S - Creamy, buttery, biscuit-y. Light malt aroma.

T - Shame those biscuit notes didn't really translate into the flavor. Nonetheless, very buttery and nice, even malt flavors. Leaves the palate with a light tinge of hops and booze, which comes off as a little jarring, but isn't too pronounced.

M - A little on the fizzy side, but still had a nice, medium body.

O - Nothing too outstanding here, but that's where it shines. Very smooth and easy while still having some complexity to it.

4.71/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I like Robert the Bruce!

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best Scottish Ale that I have had so far!

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Interesting . In a category all its own

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It was ok, but not great. The taste was not that memorable but this is a good easy to drink Scottish Ale.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 1/12/2015. Sampled and reviewed on February 22, 2015.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Pours a dark reddish brown with a nice 3 finger white head of foam. This beer looks brown at all angles, but has a red hue when looked at in front of light. Kinda reminded of blood, haha. Smells of malt, honey, spices, and cream. Initial taste brings a lot of malt flavor with a slight hop presence. Creamy, full flavored, and sweet. The malts really come to life as it goes down, then a quick kickback of hops, then more malt. Incredibly delicious and incredibly drinkable.

I lucked out and got the last 6'er from the local beer store tonight, and damn. I can see why this stuff sells out so fast. It's smooth, it's tasty, and you get six, not just a bomber. I'll be picking this up every chance I get. One of my new favorites.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 1/12/2015. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a dark red with an inch of white head that doesn't linger and offers no lacing. Aromas of light roasted malts, caramel, green grape skins. Taste is similar with a light caramelized roasted malt presence, grape skins, maybe a touch of chocolate, slight alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is light in body and malty. No bitterness or hop presence to speak of.

My first Three Floyds experience. I realize this one doesn't garner the hype like the rest of their lineup but nevertheless this didn't disappoint. Almost sessionable due to its light nature. If you like malty beers then give this a try. I could easily enjoy a couple of these at the pub.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at South Park Tavern, Dayton OH. Served in a snifter glass

Appearance: Very dark brown with ruby red highlights. Initial thick 1/3” head died back to a thin skin across the top. Some small strands of lacing.

Smell: Malty with a hint of citrusy and woody hops.

Taste: Very smooth – malty like a scotch ale, but not cloying. Very finely balanced between malt (caramel, toffee) and bitter finish, which is part English type bittering hops and just a hint of American type citrusy bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Nicely thick, just right carbonation. A little bit sticky on the teeth.

Overall / Drinkability: Easily could drink more, tasty, but not overpowering or really strong in flavor. A finely balanced scotch ale that goes really well with food (gyro pizza in this case) and I think would be really good all on its own. I'll have to try to get back to South Park Tavern next time they have it on tap and I don't have to get back to work right away.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately not a lot of brewers are making it. This is beer is so deliciously malty, with the smokey peat you expect from the style and hints of caramel and toffee. I love scotch ales and to me this rides the difference between the lighter Scottish ales (90 schilling, Laughing Lab and Wee Mac.) and the bigger scotch ales out there (Old Chub, Claymore and Wee Muckle). It is an easy drinking sweet, malty delight. Great gateway into the bigger but less made malty beers. I think 3Floyds kills it in every style they try.

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice flavor that is very drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - 4 - Poured a dark mahogany brown with light tinges of dark ruby. Weak head potential, formed about a 1/3 finger of light tan head, weak head retention, no lacing.
S - 4 - Simplistic and bold. Malts and peat smoke.
T - 4.5 - Upfront there is a maltiness with a light sweetness of distant caramel and whiskey, very very distant and light, but present. This fades into a slightly bitter, malty finish.
F - 3.75 - Decent mouthfeel, medium body.
O - 4.25 - One of the best "standard scotch ales" that I've ever had. Highly recommended!

4.79/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent, Smooth. Wonderful tasting brew from Three Floyds. It is one of the best beers that I have tried overall. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, as it can be quite hard to get from what my local beverage store said. Worth the price, but it is fairly expensive. Keep in mind you are getting a high quality beer.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

this is FFF most underrated beer.. I love Scottish Ales so theres that too...

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge fan of the style, but I prefer WeeMac from SunKing a bit more.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a very balanced, easy to drink Scottish Ale.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

O: hard to say why I like this beer, but I really like it. Clean, deep, and earthy. Sweet and perfectly carbonated, with just a touch of dark fruit. I love it.

A: poured opaquish brown, with a 1 cm head. I feel like this could benefit from some more red in the coloring

S: smells musty, with hints of brown sugar and cinnamon. A little coppery, too.

T: flavor is delicious. A little bit of oxidation, but I think that's my fault. There's some cinnamon and dark fruit throughout

F: nice carbonation, on the high medium end. Some good viscosity

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A dark brown opaque body without a head

S roasted nuts, heavy malts, mild cleaning solution

T creamy, stout-like, baked bread, peppery

M smooth, alcoholic warmth

O Not my favorite Scottish Ale. Overall, offers a very enjoyable, complex palate

Growler poured into shaker pint. Dark brown with copper hues. Solid finger of frothy khaki head.

Aroma is deep malts with a healthy dose of caramelized sugars. Slightly roasted nuttiness and a lightly peated undertone. Doughy and earthy. Toffee and toast. A touch of butterscotch which may either be diacetyl or caramelization. Light fig-like esters. No noticeable hop aromas and a subdued alcohol presence.

Aroma is very richly malted. Smoked peat is more prevalent than it was in the nose. Slightly estery and caramelized brown sugar. Sweet toffee and a slightly bitter roastiness to balance out the finish.

Medium-bodied and a little under-carbonated, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt due to the growler. Soft mouthfeel with a touch of alcoholic warmth.

Overall, this seems to ride the line between an 80/- and 90/- Shilling. It's richly malted and quite drinkable considering it's 6.5% ABV, though avoids becoming cloying. It's an excellent attempt but doesn't quite match the better Scottish distilleries. Still a pleasant and enjoyable beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A-Dark brown color with a slight hint of orange, off white head dissipates quickly
S-light toffee, caramel aroma
M-satisfyingly full body, carbonation is slightly peppery
T-Good bitterness that balances the malty goodness. There is a watery component that I can't figure out...
O-Decent beer for it's intended style, I was honestly expecting more, but pleased nonetheless.

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

I am really digging these types of beers lately, but I absolutely loved this one. I grabbed a few sixers of FFF while travelling around, and I'm glad I want to the hassle here.

L (4.5): Pours a nice dark color. Not much head to speak of, but that's okay.
S (4): Has a nice malty smell. Not a whole lot of aroma, but there shouldn't be.
T (5): This beer tastes fantastic. Great malty flavor without being too sweet. Not very hoppy, which is good here. As soon as a put the glass down I grabbed it for another drink!
F (4.5): Pretty good mouthfeel here. It's not super carbonated, which makes it smooth. Not particularly thick or anything. Goes down good!

Overall I really liked this one. I just kinda discovered English Milds and Scottish Ales this year. I found one locally that I really enjoy, and this one is better. I wish I had more than a 6 pack . . .

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Outstanding winter favorite. Smooth as silk with a chocolate finish.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

Look 10/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 88/100

Real nice Scottish Ale, monster malt bill. Has an almost chocolatey/malt ball taste. Could almost be confused with a light porter or possibly a bock if I didn't know better. It's a deep red, the color is really beautiful. Leaves a faint after taste maybe tobacco? I can only compare this to Founders 'Dirty Bastard' I will say Founders has a bit more full high octane feel. Maybe more balanced and smoother. This is ever so slightly more watery... However, this is very drinkable and has good medium body~

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Sneaky brew. Great taste, lots of flavors. It packs a punch but doesn't seem strong. It's my new favorite. I order it every time I find it on tap.

to view more.
Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.