Robert The Bruce - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert The Bruce Alström Bros
Reviews: 962 | Hads: 2,982

The title its not normal sums this beer up. Poured into my trusty pint glass. golden color with nice head. smells a little strong and taste smooth as candy. Moutful feeling for a nice 6 pack to have on a daily basis. I would recommend this scottish ale (252 characters)

This pours dark mahogany, with a slight haze and leaving a finger head which dissipates fairly quickly. The ring sticks to the glass.

This smells wonderfully malty and chocolaty and some bit of a spicy hop. These are all apparent, yet not stinging, and very well balanced.

The taste is malty and chocolaty, with just right snip of a hop balance.

The mouth feel is nice and creamy, with a hint of coarseness which adds to the richness. The coarseness is a good thing, it is NOT like pop, it is just a thicker creamy bubble.

The finish is clean, but the creamy mouth feel continues on its way down the throat. I can't think of another beer which retains the creaminess in the mouth like this one.

This has a nice rich body, too.

9% alcohol? 7.5%? 7%? I've read many different numbers, but regardless it does have a higher than normal dose of alcohol - but you can't really taste it for it is hidden so well!

This beer means a lot to me. I have never been one to drink beer ever. Not even in college. Never liked the flavor. A waiter suggested this, and it changed how I look at beer. I still don't like major brand beers, and I still would rather not drink those. But, beers like this are very flavorful and enjoyable. It is this very beer, Robert the Bruce, which made it so I can appreciate beer. It has been my all time favorite, my cornerstone beer. I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a non-miller to give this a try. Caution: it has flavor. It will accost the taste buds of those who like lite beers. For me, that is what beer should be for. (1,578 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

A- deep amberesque, almost Kodachrome in its beauty.

S- heavenly, flowers tickiling my nose, a wafting of spice.

T- pleasing, very pleasing. Fruits, malts, perfection in a brew. Superb for sipping, no bitter aftertaste, clean finish.

M- smoooth.

O- one of my favorites from Three Floyd's. But with 3F it's difficult not to love their creativity. Excellent brew all the way around. (385 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Of all the scottish ales i have had tue pleasure of trying this is by far the best. It has a beautiful caramel color with a lovely lick head. Once you smell this beer you will be yurning to get a taste. The powerful and almost overwhelming taste is so good that i could drink it daily.
Absolute best scottish style ale (319 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent, Smooth. Wonderful tasting brew from Three Floyds. It is one of the best beers that I have tried overall. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, as it can be quite hard to get from what my local beverage store said. Worth the price, but it is fairly expensive. Keep in mind you are getting a high quality beer. (336 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +23%

I went out looking for gumballhead. I couldn't find it. So being a fan of Scottish Ale I purchased this guy.

A robustly malted brew with a oak woody after taste.

I drank it right from the bottle so my appearance review is not alcohale

Not sure of the acohhale content, but three made me dizzy.

Good flavor chuck for of malt, but not near the end of the spectrums extreme.(Imperial Stout)

Also beer is very refreshing after a hard day at the office. (466 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%

After hearing so much about three floyds, and realizing that there are a few selections to try in my back yard, decided to start with this scottish ale.

A: Pours reddish brown with a light 1/2 inch head that settles quickly.

S: Hoppy scent, but not too overpowering.

T: Wow. Nice balance on this one. Hoppy, a slight roasted flavor, some sourness but mild and even a bit of sweetness.

M: Nice smoothness, warmness at the end.

O: great overall, very balanced scottish ale. Looking forward to moving along the FFF roster. (529 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%

Loved this beer a long time now - surprised I haven't taken a chance to review it yet. Wish I could get it on tap around here, but the bottle will do. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Lovely rich brown shade with massive red and gold highlights. Low clarity in the liquid, with bits of sediment here and there and bubbles of carbonation. 2 finger tan head fades and holds at a skim, leaving behind ample sticky lacing.

Smell: Huge sticky, chewy caramelly malt aromas with some dark fruit sweetness like raisins and dates. Smells really good, but missing that hallmark smokey peatiness that I typically find in this style. I know it's Scottish and not Scotch, but there's still usually a little to be had.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Ah, there's the peat - slight smoky peat flavors creep out amongst really sweet, chewy, caramelly malts and dark sticky fruity tastes. A notable hop profile comes across in a slightly bitter citrus taste that balances out the sweetness and compliments the very well carbonated feel. I love the effervescence - it lends a sort of creaminess to this well-bodied and full-flavored beer. Stickiness remains awhile throughout the palate. Delicious. Best example of the style in the taste that I've experienced.

Drinkability: Very high. The flavors are very bold, but well-balanced and complimentary. I love Three Floyds, so there may be a little brand bias here, but I enjoy this beer more and more every time I have it. I"m surprised the overall score of this beer isn't higher - if you like Scottish Ales, one of my favorite styles, you'll love this beer. (1,586 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

I'm finally starting to try more and more Scottish Ales and I'm learning to appreciate the style for what it is.

this brew pours up a nice dark brown color with a very thin tan head. the nose is a malt bomb! subtle chocolate, malt, malt, and more malt. WOAH! the taste is maltylicious! coffee, chocolate, caramel, subtle hop balance, medium to full body, low carbo. An awesome beer! Hands down! (395 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best Scottish Ale I have had (and I have tried many!). Full flavor, not bitter and a taste that lingers on the tongue perfectly. Very slight nuttiness. Great with a hearty meal or even better all by itself. Strong recommendation! (235 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

OK, I love Scotch ales in general and Robert the Bruce in particular. Balanced malty taste with strong carmel flavours and a smooth finish make this a winner to me. The color is deep amber and develops a nice frothy head when poured in a classic English pub mug. The aroma tickles the nose with a slight smoky, nutty, carmel sensation.

I love deep, complex, nutty flavored brews and the Bruce doesn't disappoint. I think the taste is well balanced considering the alcohol content and a couple of these will ease your pain quickly, especially after work on Friday. An outstanding beer at a reasonable price (7.99 a sixer in Chicagoland). I also love Three Floyd's label artwork in general and Robert the Bruce in particular. (726 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Monsone for the beer.

A-Pours a dark reddish brown with a cream coloured one finger head. Dissipates in a few minutes to a minor slick. A good halo of lace clings to where it was.

S-Not as sweet and cloying as many scottish ales smell. There is that caramel but you also get a healthy dose of piney hops and a hint of alcohol. An excellent aroma.

T-Rich roasted caramel and bread like malt invade the mouth when the first sip is consumed. This is followed by some delicious hop bitterness and a wonderful spicy sweet Scottish malt finish. very well balanced between the sweet and bitter. There are minor hints of alcohol which are welcome here. it adds to the overall character. Notes of a cinnamon like spice presence hit when it gets warmer.

M-Very DIPA for the mouthfeel, slightly syrupy, slightly oily but with a healthy dose of carbonation to cut through it all.

D-This is one hell of a beer. I would consider this a cross between a IPA and a Scottish Ale. (976 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle that I got while visiting the folks in Indiana. Poured a nice brownish mahagony with a small head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was of roasted malts with good sweetness in there as well. The mouthfeel was good. The taste was perfect. It was smooth and had a great smokiness to it. Could see myself drinking plenty of these. (4.5, HR, T, Y) (370 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

V.06
I just love this beer! I was able to reserve this bottle from a sixer I couldn't get enough of this fall while doing some outside tree work. Tastes exactly as I remember it.
Lovely deep mahogany, and a lot of effervescence going on. Thin rim of retention. Awesome nose; fruity, woody, and just plain inviting. The taste doesn't stray from the enticing aromas. This has the right amount of malt, and yet doesn't feel flat and lifeless on the tongue. Very balanced, and highly drinkable. This beer is superb! (513 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a tulip on 6/27/10

Dark, almost murky brown though held to the light it has a coppery crimson hue. Very thin layer of foam; no retention halfway through the glass. Just a few tiny splotches of lacing.

The aroma is interesting, even if leaning toward the modest side of things. Roasted malts indeed; notes of molasses, brown sugar, buttery toffee & chocolate or at least cocoa. Overtones of dark fruits, raisins & prunes. Hints of earthy hops.

The taste is more assertive, though it never loses balance between flavors. Indeed, it is well blended. Brown sugary sweet fruits - raisins, prunes & maybe a hint of fig. A little caramel & undertones of cocoa powder. The malts maintain their roasted character all the while. An understated hoppiness comes in on the finish.

Full bodied with a nice grittiness to it. Carbonation is rather low, accentuating the overall smoothness the beer exhibits. Alcohol heat is noticeable without being a focal point. Roasted residuals linger with a subtle bitter twinge.

This is easily one of the best Scottish Ales I've tried. Aside from tasting great, the structure is most impressive. This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for several months; I have no idea how much it differs from a fresh bottle, but it's fine the way it is. Recommended. (1,296 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

I am really digging these types of beers lately, but I absolutely loved this one. I grabbed a few sixers of FFF while travelling around, and I'm glad I want to the hassle here.

L (4.5): Pours a nice dark color. Not much head to speak of, but that's okay.
S (4): Has a nice malty smell. Not a whole lot of aroma, but there shouldn't be.
T (5): This beer tastes fantastic. Great malty flavor without being too sweet. Not very hoppy, which is good here. As soon as a put the glass down I grabbed it for another drink!
F (4.5): Pretty good mouthfeel here. It's not super carbonated, which makes it smooth. Not particularly thick or anything. Goes down good!

Overall I really liked this one. I just kinda discovered English Milds and Scottish Ales this year. I found one locally that I really enjoy, and this one is better. I wish I had more than a 6 pack . . . (874 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Yet another beer that I have been drinking for eon's however I have still yet to review it...

Three Floyd's has and alway's will hold a place in my heart since the day's of yore when they unleashed the beast, which is Alpha king that just totally turned the beer world upside down, at least in my opinion. As I said in my A / K review, these guy's were breaking new ground with that bold citrus hop character which we all seem to know and love....

So on to Robert The Bruce.... Not just any ole Scotch Ale, it's just Not Normal,,, if you know what I mean.

Let's just skip the appearance part and get right down to the aroma and flavor....

A deeply rich scent of Dark and rich caramel, some slight booziness and a hint of citrus that beg's to be found upon repeated sniff's, and remember as with all good beer's, put you're nose right up to the opening of the neck and sniff repeatedly in rapid succession to get the full effect of RTB, or any beer for that matter.

For those of you that think this is not a real Scotch Ale I beg you to rethink you'review's / and or comment's. This is as real as it get's. Earthy, peaty and Boozy with just the right touch of hop's as only Nick Floyd can produce. A total genious that has been wreaking havoc on my liver since their inception.... The only thing I miss is the older Three Floyd's brew's as they seemed to have a bit more carbonation than now, however they are still nothing short of brilliant...

Just pick up a sixer and enjoy. This is a Scotch ale at it's finest and I've had many. Richly satisfying and a rewarding expierience for you're taste bud's to enjoy. Don't miss this one !!! (1,641 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately not a lot of brewers are making it. This is beer is so deliciously malty, with the smokey peat you expect from the style and hints of caramel and toffee. I love scotch ales and to me this rides the difference between the lighter Scottish ales (90 schilling, Laughing Lab and Wee Mac.) and the bigger scotch ales out there (Old Chub, Claymore and Wee Muckle). It is an easy drinking sweet, malty delight. Great gateway into the bigger but less made malty beers. I think 3Floyds kills it in every style they try. (566 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from the brewery. Poured into an American pint glass.

A vigorous pour develops a three finger head that falls to a thin covering that lasts. Gorgeous clear ruby color looks like a Scottish ale.

Nose portrays biscuit malts of medium roast and earthy with light smoke. Subdued hop aroma.

Taste carries some sweetness with brown sugary malt roastyness (is that a new word?). Some noticable alcohol bite.

Most likely my favorite Scottish Ale. They are usually way too boozy for my taste. Thank you 3 Floyds. Highly recommended. Looking forward to dining at the brewpub for my birthday this weekend. (612 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

6 pack purchased at City Limits in Providence, RI. Thanks again to Nick from Bauer and Frank the distributor for telling me about this place.

So as it turns out my family can trace it's roots back to ancient Scotland. Our family, the MacMillan's once did a favor for Robert the Bruce and as payment he allowed our family's tartan to sport the Scottish colors of yellow and orage. Enough about the Rich family tree and onto the drinking!

Quite plummily asthetic. Smells like malts. So far this smells exactly like what I've been looking for in a brew for the past 3 weeks. I've been craving sweet malty goodness.

Malty perfection in a glass. Chewy malt character. This birthday keeps getting better and better and it's less than 30 minutes in.

9% alcohol but you really wouldn't know it. No strong alcohol intruding on the maltitude of joy this brew delivers.

This is a smooth, enjoyable brew. So much so I am about to take it off my "Gots' list because I want the rest of the 6 pack for myself.

"Freeedooommmm!!!" (1,032 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

A: pours up a deep copper reddish color with a toffee colored head rising up just less than two fingers. Minimal lacing.

S: Sweetness. Roasted caramel malts. Even a smell of black coffee.

T: sweet up front, then a little dry hoppy bitterness that comes off a bit spicey? Finishes off on a delightful malty note.

M: Nearing the full-bodied realm. Has a great level of carbonation

D: This is a terrific malty brew that you could easily have 6 of before you knew it. (471 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

I poured this beer from the bottle into an imperial pint glass. The smell of this beer is very enjoyable to me. The first thing that hits nose is a nice whisky smell followed by carmel, coffee, and fresh wet earth. The color is a nice dark golden brown with just a little quickly dissipating head. The taste of this beer is an almond and carmel with a coffee and wet earth finish. The beer really changes in your mouth is what i like about it. You experience all the different changes of flavor. This beer is full of nice rich flavors but also light and earthy enough to be very drinkable. I can never go wrong with a Robert the Bruce. (635 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%

This was one of my two favorite Three Floyds. Overall, just a great drinking experience. The color is a very dark purple. It has a very white head that sticks to the glass. It smells slightly peppery. Tastes just a little sweet, like berries. Very smooth in the mouth and almost no aftertaste. Very, very drinkable.
(Tasted this beer at the Blind Tiger's Three Floyds event) (375 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the easiest beers to get from FFF. Found in Bowling Green, KY in a variety of shops there.

Caramel brown pour with 1.5 fingers of butterscotch cream head. Decent retention and wispy strands of lace.

Nose is peat, caramel, toffee, and tea. All the things that make a great Scotch ale.

Peat, caramel and toffee dominate the taste. Very strong flavors, especially as the glass warms. Strong malt finish with bitter caramel rounding things out. Well done.

Body is perfect for a stronger interpretation. Heavy, thick with syrup.

I'm a big fan of the style and FFF hit the mark with this one. (599 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I got this from MABZ as part of the 2006 Great Race BIF. I have wanted this beer for some time now, just havent been actively looking for it. Thank you MABZ for giving me the chance to have it.

This beer pours brownish mohogany color with a creamy tan color head. The head fades slowly, leaving few laces.

This beer has a rich caramel sweet aroma. It smells slightly bready. There is a nutty aroma also. I get a very slight raisin aroma. Not much hop aroma.

This beer tastes much like the aroma. It has a sweet flavor. I taste a caramel malt flavor. It has a bready flavor also. It has a very slight smokey flavor that was not present in the aroma. Still not much on hops.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. This beer is carbonated perfectly for the style.

I think this beer would make a good session beer. It is not too alcoholic, and the flavor is not too agressive.

Once again, thank you MABZ for helping my get such a great beer. (978 characters)

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.