Robert The Bruce - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert The Bruce Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,944 | Reviews: 974
2.44/5  rDev -37%

Bottle received as extra, thanks CruisaC.

Brown bottle with a great looking label on the front, Three Flyods style all the way. No date or batch numbers on the bottle of any kind.

Pours a crystal clear ruby color with no cloudiness what so ever. Head formed with only the slightest help, with a off white hue. The head was a bit thin but hung around for a bit. No lacing threw the glass as it was consumed. The aroma was hardly noticeable for this style. Most brews I have had in this style the aroma is not as strong as other brews but this particular brew was barely there. The taste was up front bitter hops with only a hint of a malty background. The malt was not forward enough for this particular style or really my preference. The carbonation was over done and pushed way to much of the hops forward. I was left with a acidic taste and feeling in my mouth. I was looking forward to try this brew as it is one of my favorite styles but was unable to stomach it. Hopefully I had a old or bad bottle. Probably with age is that I will never know due to the lack of any dating on the bottle. I will give this a try again in the future and re-review if needed.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

Bottle: Poured a brown color ale with a medium dark-white head with low retention. Aroma of hops is clearly detectable with some caramel malt. Taste is lighter then expected with some caramel malt and a bitter finish. Watery feel at the end is very unpleasant. Body is definitely too thin for my liking and alcohol is very well hidden. Definitely not the best from 3FL and not even close to the best of the style.

2.51/5  rDev -35.1%

I am a huge maltmaven, but have never fallen in love with scotch ales, and I'm still not quite sure why.

A: Fairly transparent body that is more brown than red but gives off a nice ruby hue. Head gets to about two fingers but dies down quickly.

S: Nothing too strong. Raisins, maybe some unripe plums.

T: Starts off with unripe dark fruit. In the middle I get booze. What the hell, this is only 6.5%. The middle of the sip also reminds me a bit of a BSDA, with a few notes of spiciness that are reminiscent of Belgian yeast. Not too much taste at the end of the sip, but there is an unpleasant, slightly metallic and bitter aftertaste that sticks around for quite some time.

M: Overcarbonated, especially for the style.

O: I wasn't expecting great things from this beer, but I am still let down. If a fairly new homebrewer tried to do a Raison d'Etre clone, this might be what it would taste like. I'm not sure if I'm even going to finish it. Ugh.

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

Brown color with ruby highlights and a two finger tan head with decent retention. The smell is not overly complex, and consists of light caramel and roasted malt. The flavor is also caramel and roasted malt. Not a very strong aroma or flavor.

Lightly sweet, has a somewhat bitter aftertaste, with decent carbonation and a medium body. Overall, not the best Scottish Ale I have had.

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to tat2dhllblly for this as an extra.
Poured to NB globe.

A: Brown ale with superb clarity. Little to no head formation. Wait, I just poured more, with the bottle completely upside down...there we go. 1/2 finger peanut head dissipates quickly.

S: I have yet to be less impressed with the nose on a beer. This smells like malt and vomit. Horrible.

T: Thank you lord, the taste does not match the nose! Roasty, toasty. Reminds me of freshly baked dryly salted pretzels. Nice. Good.

M: medium body with moderate carbonation. Would prefer a little less carbonation on a beer of this style. Leaves mouth slightly dry, but not too bad at all.

D: So long as I was not smelling this, and just drinking it liberally, I could drink this all night, quite drinkable in that regard. Otherwise, I would only purchase this once in a blue moon to try and recall if this is no good. I will, however, likely try this again once I get another bottle.

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into imperial pint glass.
No bottled-on date.

Aroma: Cocoa, some estery spice, brown sugar, and cooked corn (DMS?)

Appearance: Clear body w/ dark, reddish-brown color. Two-finger off-white head quickly falls to a thin layer.

Flavor: Brown sugar-like, malty, cloying sweetness. Definite undeniable cooked corn DMS note in the flavor. Shocked to see this flaw in a FFF brew. Minimal bitterness or hop profile.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the flat side. Medium body. Cloying sweetness coats the tongue.

Overall: I had heard and read good things about this brew, so I was pretty let down by what I found. I love FFF, and love this style as well. Unfortunately, IMO, a good Scottish ale, does not Three Floyds make. It came across as a mediocre homebrew.

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Deep mahogany in color, little head or lace present. Aroma is sweet, caramel and mild hop tones (citrus, pine) are noted. The taste is smooth malt tones with that mild sweetness coming into play but that is about it. Nothing really going on with this beer. It seems to be lacking more flavors. It just starts to get interesting then comes to a quick stop. Yea, you could drink this all night but with the missing flavor, why do it. Overall it is ok.

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

This beer pours a very impressive apperance. Other than that it is seriously lacking. It has a bite that is quite raw and it is void of any interesting flavor. The mouthfeel is remincent of brackish dishwater and I would take a bud lite over this any day.

2.74/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle received from arvjunk in trade. Thanks Ankur!

A: Pours a hazy, deep, dark brown, with mahogany edging. Less than half finger of white head, which dissipates quickly without leaving lacing.

S: Roasted, charred malts stand out here to provide a nice balance alongside sweet dark fruit flavors of grapes, plums, and cherries.

T/M: Too sweet and syrupy; this beer coats the throat and leaves a stinging sweetness without the flavor or balance to back it up, and exacerbates that by beginning to taste medicinal as it warms. Really no bitterness, or otherwise balancing qualities are detectable; even the charred malts from earlier are totally overwhelmed by sticky sweetness. But, aside from the negatives and just to describe some qualities of the beer: it has a thick body, is quite creamy (and sticky), with mid-light carbonation.

D: I wouldn't want another glass of this; if i have it again it will probably be for a re-review at the insistence of someone else.

2.76/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Well it sure smells hoppy, don't know why... Hop flavor and bitterness is strongly evident also. The malt flavor is barely there with a slight carmel flavor. Mediocre beer but a crap scotch ale. It ssems to be lacking all the good qualities of the style and throwing in a few bad traits from others too. I wish they had called it something else so I could have avoided wasting my time. What the heck am I going to do with the other 5?

12 oz. bottle poured into a 3 Floyds tulip shaped pint glass

It pours an almost dead looking chestnut brown. The color is just a little darker and a little redder than cola. The deadness of the pour transfers to barely any head forming and what little does quickly dies and leaves a still looking beer in the glass.

The nose is has some caramel malt aromas but it's not really strong. I could really dig the nose but some pretty strong fusel alcohol and acetone aroma were present which was very off putting and distracting.

The taste is very unrefined, and kind of a mess. There are some light chocolate flavors, some sweeter malt and still a little bit of acetone. Thank god the acetone isn't nearly as strong as the aroma suggest. I just really hope hope this is a bad batch because this beer is not close to the quality that FFF usually puts out.

The body is medium to medium/full with a pretty low carbonation level and a with a decent residual sweetness . All of these combine to just not please me that much. Even with all of the above noted problems is still is a drinkable beer but I feel like it could be improved and refined into something much better.

12oz bottle

App: Opaque Dark brown with some ruby hues on the edges. Thick, frothy head that leaves decent lace.

Smell: A malt dream. Strong roasted character that shows itself in coffee aromas. A fruity undertone, perhaps from the hops, that is key for the malty beers. As it warms faint hints of chocolate emerge.

Taste: Disappointing beginning and middle with just a slight sweetness that fades into some alcohol and herbal hops. Ends well, though, with a smooth chocolate finish and just the right amount of hops. Nothing kills me more than an overly hoppy scotch ale.

The body is full, but the flavor is lacking and watery so it is confusing to drink.

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer at Barcade in Brooklyn. It is a very dark amber beer with a decent head that dissipates quickly. Slight nut scent to it.

It has a smoked nut taste with a lot of carbonation in the back of the throat. Very very burnt flavor, perhaps too burnt for my taste. The aftertaste is quite sour.

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%

Had this from a bottle at BW3 on 1/9/08 and had to suffer through many awkward looks from the waitress because I did not want a frozen glass. No fresh date on the bottle they gave me.

A - a nice darker copper color that was rather inviting to look at but not much in the head department at all. One barely even formed and what did formed was gone in the matter of seconds. Found that to be rather disappointing.

S - mildly fragrant such that one could smell a mild honey fragrance and barely get a hint of a light smokiness mixed in there too. Really, not too fragrant and kinda hard to discern exactly what the nose of the beer was.

T - The taste was there but not really since I thought this beer was rather watery in taste. There was a slight sweet malt taste and then a bit of a bitterness that comes into the end but really not very much taste. Did not really care for this one especially for a 3F beer. The late bitter smokiness was a little heavy especially given the initial nothingness.

MF - once again wateryness predominates. Intially, thought it was really light on the tongue such that it was hard to tell there really was anything in my mouth other than water but as time went one did leave us with a bit of stickiness at the end that gave proof that there was some beer in there.

D- Overall, I found this to be a big disappointment esp given the other beers that I've had from 3F. It was not too complex and rather watery, which makes it easy to drink a lot of but not really makes me desire to go and drink a ton of these. It does have a cool label though as all 3F do. I'd put it in the categories of beer that i would maybe buy for a party or to get drunk off of because it is so light but not one I'd really relish sip after sip. Maybe have to try it again to see if It was just the bottle I had this time or something.

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%

I'm usually a fan of Three Floyd's beers, but this one did not impress. Scotch Ale rarely impresses American consumers...perhaps the style is not tailored for the American palate - but this beer missed the target.

What I found was lack of complexity. Since the style inherently has muted hop flavor and aroma, one must work the complexities of the malt, yeast, and cellaring processes in order to compensate. That is exactly where this beer fell short. I felt like this beer was simply a well attenuated, crystal-malt darkened American pale ale labeled as a Scotch. Sure, it was drinkable, but as far as developing the nuances of a completely unique style, I was left hanging.

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Got this beer on accident - went into the store expecting a 6-pack of Alpha King, and came out with 3 AK and 3 Robert the Bruces'. Went back into the store after realizing the mistake. Apparently there is a law that prevents you even bringing beer back into the store after you bought it, because the cashier acted insulted that I would even do that. I explained the predicament and how it was the store's mistake and not mine, but to no avail. Long story short, I was stuck with three beers I didn't expect to be drinking.

This beer pours out a deep murky brownish-red. It had no foam to speak of, and no real lacing.

This beer is simply nothing amazing, which is amazing coming from this amazing brewery. It tastes like an average porter or stout. I guess I thought it was a scotch ale instead of a scottish ale.

Decent mouthfeel and aftertaste, but nothing at all special.

Also, this beer's reminscence to coca-cola is not appreciated.

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearence: Pours a nice shining red witha respectable white head.

Smell: The smell is of roasted malts mostly. A sticky sweet molasses presence is very powerful.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is mostly of sweet malts. They're almost sickeningly powerful, with hardly any balance or sense of focus. The mouthfeel is slimy, which adds to the rough flavor of the ubalanced malts.

Drinkability and Overall: Wow this was a dissapointing beer. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle or something, but this was rough. Not the quality I'd except from FFF. I have one more I'm going to throw in the cellar for a bit to see if it evens things out at all. Hopefully it does, cause this brew needs it.

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%

Lager-ish, almost adjuncty tasting, un-smoky forgettable Scottish Ale

---

A: Nice looking deep copper orange body with a fleeting two finger yellowed white head.

S: I know it's impossible, but I'd swear I smell adjunct. Really not a very pleasant nose... just a hint of sweet malt and spicy hops... maybe the faintest hint of smoke, but it comes across as dirty rather than peaty.

T: Sweet caramel malt, a dirty earthiness, spice, a hint of plum, drying hops, and again, maybe a faint hint of smoke... not much, thats for sure. Tastes like a Lager.

M: Middle of the road, though high carbonation make sit seem lighter than it is... grainy, slightly unpleasant texture.

O: Not the strongest effort from FFF

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

A fair Scottish ale, but I think it could be better. It pours a deep caramel color. Little aroma, not much head. Up front, there's a solid maltiness, and something that reminds me vaguely of peat, though I'm pretty sure nothing in here is peat-smoked. There's not much middle at all -- it kind o disappears on your tongue, until an aftertaste with a mild but pleasantly sour tang and a hint of alcohol comes in. A good beer for drinking with food, I think, but nothing to get excited about.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

Aroma: Medium-light slightly sweet burnt caramel malt aroma. Sulfur is high, very beany. Medium bright earthy hop aroma. No DMS, No diacetyl. No alcohol.

Appearance: Mahogany with brown highlights. Thin dense tan head.

Taste: Medium toffee malt flavor. Hints of chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Low earthy hop flavor: herbal and woody. Esters aren't detectable. No DMS, No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body with medium low carbonation. Not creamy, some slight sweet slickness that lingers on the tongue. No alcohol warming.

Overall: Well brewed example of a 80 Schilling, nothing stands out here though as special. The sulfur in aroma really detracts from the overall beer. I won't go back to it, but it does hide its alcohol well.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

Pours with very little head that vanishes almost completely in minutes. Looks like dark roasted coffee.

Smells of caramel, toffee, and something like a milk stout). Quite sweet.

Sweet malty taste, a little too sweet as it warms. There is a basic, bitter element sort of like the flavor of vegetables that aren't really meant to be eaten (dandelions, the kind of chestnut that isn't edible, etc.). There is a little toffee, some nuttiness, and a metallic taste. Hops are nice on the finish. Some parts of the taste are decent, but there are some mediocre and poor aspects as well. Alcohol is well disguised.

I like the mouthfeel, feels soft like a quadrupel. Maybe could use more carbonation to cut the sweetness. Kind of thin, though.

This just isn't that good. Note that this is rated within the style, but it's too flawed and boring to interest me in drinking more of it.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

A: Dark brown with a hint of ruby red to it. Small head that dies of quick. No lacing.

S: Carmel malt, sweetness, raisins and some earthiness.

T: A bit sweet and really malty up front that gives way to earthy hops and toasted malt. Finish is very odd and not that good. Earthy, toasty, slightly sweet and slightly hoppy flavors that, for whatever reason, don't meld together. Kind of a dirt like taste that hits the back of the tongue.

M: Thin and a bit watery. Moderate carbonation.

D: Lower drinkability because of the finish. Glad I only have one that was in a mix six from Casanova's.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Serving : 12oz bottle

Pours a dark earthy brown color with mahogany highlights, a meager layer of foam struggles to leave just a hair thin ring and layer of foam afloat. Little carbonation can be noted through the dark bodied brew.

Closed on the nose with dark molasses, toasted malt, a bit of smoke, dark brown sugar and raw vanilla.

Roasted malts, some molasses follow through from the entry to mid palate with a big of smoke, molasses and brown sugar on the finish. Slight bitterness and an odd sour note make a fleeting appearance on the finish, otherwise hops are lacking and malt reigns supreme. Alcohol is well hidden under a few layers of sweet malt flavor.

A medium body helps this beer a bit though it could be fuller on the mid palate and finish. A uni-dimensional character and lack of interesting balance grants this beer a sub-par drinkability.

Overall not a bad beer, but I would expect better from three floyds.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a nice healthy tan head.

Aroma: Roasted malt dominates, with light smoky tones and some hop backbone.

Taste: Toasty malt sweetness is most prevelant, with a mild and dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Flavorful and coating. Malt overpowers any hops in the brew. Slightly sweet throughout.

Drinkability: Noy my style, but if you are a malt lover, try this one when you can.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Pours a very nice mahagony with a thin dirty tan head. The aroma is dominated by toffee, burnt ashes, and sweet caramel. An intense sweet maltiness dominates. Achohol and other fusels come throught the middle, with burnt ashes in the background. The finish attempts to dry-out, but a cloying sweetness mixed with alcohol remains. As a positive, the body is firm and smooth, with almost perfect carbonation for this style.

This ale is a bit of out balance. While 90 and 120 Schilling Scotish Ales should have a prounounced maltiness, they should not be cloying. The cloying sweetness detracts from both the taste and drinkability.

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.