Robert The Bruce - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.50% ABV

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert The Bruce Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A-Dark brown color with a slight hint of orange, off white head dissipates quickly
S-light toffee, caramel aroma
M-satisfyingly full body, carbonation is slightly peppery
T-Good bitterness that balances the malty goodness. There is a watery component that I can't figure out...
O-Decent beer for it's intended style, I was honestly expecting more, but pleased nonetheless.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

I am really digging these types of beers lately, but I absolutely loved this one. I grabbed a few sixers of FFF while travelling around, and I'm glad I want to the hassle here.

L (4.5): Pours a nice dark color. Not much head to speak of, but that's okay.
S (4): Has a nice malty smell. Not a whole lot of aroma, but there shouldn't be.
T (5): This beer tastes fantastic. Great malty flavor without being too sweet. Not very hoppy, which is good here. As soon as a put the glass down I grabbed it for another drink!
F (4.5): Pretty good mouthfeel here. It's not super carbonated, which makes it smooth. Not particularly thick or anything. Goes down good!

Overall I really liked this one. I just kinda discovered English Milds and Scottish Ales this year. I found one locally that I really enjoy, and this one is better. I wish I had more than a 6 pack . . .

3.32/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Outstanding winter favorite. Smooth as silk with a chocolate finish.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Look 10/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 88/100

Real nice Scottish Ale, monster malt bill. Has an almost chocolatey/malt ball taste. Could almost be confused with a light porter or possibly a bock if I didn't know better. It's a deep red, the color is really beautiful. Leaves a faint after taste maybe tobacco? I can only compare this to Founders 'Dirty Bastard' I will say Founders has a bit more full high octane feel. Maybe more balanced and smoother. This is ever so slightly more watery... However, this is very drinkable and has good medium body~

Robert The Bruce from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub