Robert The Bruce - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-06-2001

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert The Bruce Alström Bros
Reviews: 971 | Hads: 3,016
3.28/5  rDev -15%

First sip of this beer was very good, second sip pretty good, although it seemed to taste a bit metallic.

This particular Scottish ale seemed to get more blasé as time progressed. The smell of the beer was of caramel, and bread, but no real caramel taste was present, unlike some other Scottish ales I’ve had and liked.

It was a smooth drinking beer, but the finish was fairly spicy, like cloves.

Did not like the way it finished. Another beer I wouldn’t turn down, but wouldn’t go out of my way to purchase.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Pours a dark, clear, cherry-wood reddish brown. One finger of orangey tan head; decent retention and a little bit of lacing.

Smell is fairly bland. Some toasted malt notes, but I don't get a ton of malt in it. A lot of cooked-vegetable hops, leafy greens. Smells a fair bit like a marzen thanks to all the toasted malt aroma.

Taste is quite nutty with some toasty flavors here as well, fading into bland grassy-vegetal hops. Not bad, but kinda dull and uninspiring. I can drink it, but I'd rather drink something else.

Medium-bodied, pretty chewy in the mouth. Medium-high carbonation lifts it a lot. Wow, this has a lot of zip.

Overall, it's just sort of blah. It's malty, with some overcooked-broccoli hops. Meh.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. Aggressive pour yielded only a 1/2 finger "too much cream in my coffee" colored head that wisped away quickly leaving no lace behind. The body is hazy and teeters between dark ruby and mahogany brown.

Hmmm...I was expecting the nose to have lots of caramel and malts...they are present, but is lesser quantities. The dominate aroma is a deep grassy/earthy character that isn't as appealing as the caramel would have been...

The flavor redeems the nose (somewhat). Starts off with some bitterness...hops I imagine that fades into the grainy/grass from the nose. The finish comes on with sweet malts and ends with a small alcohol burn.

Medium mouth feel, very slick and oily with moderate to high carbonation.

Meh...this one just isn't doing it for me. It is drinkable, but the grainy backbone makes this one a little on the weaker side.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a dark brown with little to no head. What little head there was dissipates very quickly.

S - Smells of toasted malts maybe a little chocolate. Little to no alcohol present.

T - Just enough hops to slightly over power some of the malts. I wish the hops where a little more secondary. Once again alcohol is easily hidden.

M - Texture is smooth and crisp. Nicely carbonated. A darker beer that could easily be enjoyed in the summer.

D - Very drinkable. One of the litter scotch ales I've had the pleasure of drinking. Could put down a few of these bad boys.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

A - Pours a deep and rich brown with some reddish tint to it. A thick and foamy head quickly boils down to a tight layer of dirty white head. Nice stick.

S - Caramel, coffee, sweet. A nice inviting nose on this.

T - The taste is a bit disappointing after smelling this. Malty, sweet, not much else sticks out. It tastes good, but it is just one note.

O - This is a decent, not great brew. I wouldn't really keep it in a rotation, but worth a try. First FFF brew that I'm not in love with.

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

I've had this on tap and from a bottle, and I must say that this is probably my least favorite FFF beer. That's a good thing though, since this guy isn't that bad. A dark hazy brown in the glass with some tan head that sticks around a while. Smell is of some caramel, dark fruit, a hint of chocolate, and something that I can only describe as "bock-y-ness". Typically bocks are not my favorite beers due to something in the malt bill that I can't put my finger on. I know that's a broad claim to make, but there seems to me to be the same quality here. Taste follows suit with some nice notes of chocolate and caramel, but then that bock flavor hits again... reminds me of an artificial grape flavor, really. Little or no hop presence to be noted. Creamy and smooth, the MF isn't bad at all on this beer, and drinkability is a little limited by the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the taste. I can see why people like it, and technically, I think it's a pretty well-crafted beer, it just doesn't appeal to me THAT much.

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

This poured reddish brown with a light tan head. Good sweet malt nose and a bit nutty. The taste was sweet malty, I was expecting a bit more peaty/earthy. There was a good roasted malt component as it warmed up. I couldn't pick out any hops. It has a medium body and is very drinkable with a dry finish.

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

This one looks like a beauty. A deep, perfect mahogany brown color with some auburn outlines. Very unique in its brown shade, an uncommon tint and shade for a beer of this style, or any style for that matter. Has a rich and roasty nose.

The taste is dominated by roasted malts. There are a few other flavors I am able to pick out, hops, coffee beans, maybe dried apricots, but the palate profile is mostly roasted malts.

The taste is bountiful yet the mouthfeel remains light on the palate, leading to a smooth, easy drinking beer.

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

From 12oz bottle to Jackie O's tulip glass on 7/26/11
*From notes

Johnny Boy, I owe you yet another round of applause for putting this one in my hand. Cheers, my brotha....

A: What a gorgeous beer. Wonderfully dark and sappy amber. A good pour yields a 1.5 finger head that fades quickly, and leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

S: Huh - it smells like like a low key, kinda boring Brown Ale. Earthy and slightly charry. Where's the caramel and concentrated malt?

T: Mellow. Laid back without any standout features. Everything here kinda rolls over the palate in a very smooth and blasé kinda way. This would be a nice autumn beer by the bonfire. The finish comes off a bit like a honey infused root beer.

M: Light. Luckily, the carbonation here is spot-on, and it helps to carry this one in a big way.

O: Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce is a good, not great Scottish Ale. I can't really pinpoint what Three Floyds was going for here - whatever it is I certainly didn't get it.

Having said that, this is still a flavorful and easily drinkable beer. I hope to someday meet Robert again, and see if we can't get along a little better.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

I remember it well, up in MN after seeing Braveheart. Suprisingly drinkable for such a horseshoe. Nice deep reddish-auburn. Smells of hay and a little skank. A bit tart on the finish which was bizarre.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce tall thin brown glass bottle. The main label has an oval picture that contains a crazy looking bearded dude that is dressed like a war mongering mad Scotsman who looks like a stoned Ghengis Khan. No discernable freshness date or strength listed, but labeled as “It’s Not Normal”.

Appearance: Dark brown body with a polished chestnut clarity. Smooth light tan head comprised of very small bubbles lending a velvet appearance to the ¼” thick collar like head. Looks good, has excellent conditioning and leaves a light broken lacing.

Nose: Thick toffee caramel with some sweet sugar hints, like soft chocolate candy covered in frosted sugar. Feint hints of smoked peat’s. A bit tame for a Scottish ‘Style’ Ale.

Taste: Toasted malts, caramel and a light Devon toffee whisp. The smokiness rises in the middle of the beer but it is still restrained. Some malt and hop oils linger in the ending. Rather disappointing, but somehow very drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that feels lighter than it probably is. Smooth velvety texture with a soft feel on the tongue, malty with a light pine hop oil resiny feel in the after taste.

Drinkability: Well, I was rather astounded to realize that this beer is actually 9%ABV as I entered into my Excel Spreadsheet; it certainly hides it well, maybe too well.

Overall: Dare I say that this beer is all “wind and piss” – it lacks depth, complexity and falls short of a pleasing Scottish Ale for me. Not bad in general for a malty beer, just not great for a Scotch Ale.

Thanks to San Diego’s finest BA, xlperro, for this one.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a pint with a deep glowing coffee color with medium rough head that left only a little lacing throughout. I don't normally love scottish ale (it's the peat). But the nose of this is dominated by malt and a burnt sugar sweetness. The taste is likewise light on peat, heavy on the toated malt and sugar. A spicy toffee rules over very thin hops and a hint of smoke. A surprising aftertaste of scotch whisky followed me all evening. Medium body with significant carbonation tends to cover some lack of depth. While it's one of the best (to my taste) Scottish Ales I've had, I wouldn't see this as one to drink all night or after the snow melts.

3.22/5  rDev -16.6%

12oz brown bottle served into a nonic glass.

Hazy,medium copper color. 1" thin light tan head fizzled out quickly.

Very earthy aroma,sweet,burnt carmell aroma, candied like malt aromas. Mostly malt aroma with hints of pine.

Very sweet carmell tastes upfront,with burnt toasty notes.Earthy with some light smoked peat. Finishes with a tart,pine resin.

Medium body with a light tangy feel. Good drinkable beer,just not interesting enough for me,have had a lot of better beers of this style.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass

Pours a deep amber color with a light tan one finger head. No particulates.

Nose gives off hints of caramel malt, graininess, and some weird notes of oregano or something that reminds me of pizza.

Taste is syrupy and sweet, with simple caramel flavors and little graininess. Also a bit of plum fruitiness. A little hop zing.

Quite sweet on the uptake, with slightly bitter and acidic aftertaste. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is an enjoyable beer, but boy is it sweet. Sweet enough to keep me from having more than one at a time. Wonder if it's under-attenuated? I think it could finish a lot more dry.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Served in a Stone Ruination IPA pint.

A- Dark amber, 2" light mocha head and decent blotching remains on the glass.

S- sweet amber malts, slight smoke and vanilla.

T- roasted amber malts, slight smoke/peat, and some hop bitterness.

M- medium body with a semi-dry dry finish that lingers.

O- I haven't had this beer in a few years and since I fell in love with IPA's. I wasn't missing a lot. This is a ok beer and a decent scotch ale.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: This one has a reddish-amber colored, crystal clear body with a head that starts out tiny and disappears quickly.

Smell: Aroma of sweet malt, with a slight metallic note. The overall smell is faint and weak.

Taste: Has a decent dose of sweet malt and caramel/butterscotch (diacytel) flavor. Finishes with the same metallic note that was in the smell, along with a touch of hop bitterness. Fairly one-dimensional...

Mouthfeel: Slighty oily and chewy with a 'medium-but-closer-to-light' thickness. Not thick enough for me.

Drinkability: O.k. I could drink a few of these if nothing else was available, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

This is a 9%abv brew?!? Didn't see that coming!

I know this is a 'Scottish' ale and not a 'Scotch' ale, which are heavier and maltier, but I'm tired of these wimpy, bland brews calling themselves Scottish-style beers. I want a thick, chewy, malty Scotch ale...I guess I'll have to brew one myself...

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A: deep ruby red/brown with a fleeting kahki head, a small swirl of tiny bubbles left on top. a vigorous swirl yields a half finger head but its gone before i can get a sip.
S: big aromas of toffee and spices. theres a faint hop presence in the background, but maltiness is up front.
T: roasted malts provide the backbone. some nice sweetness with the toffee and powdered spice notes. this is nice and balanced to me.
M: pretty prickly carbonation brings the malts alive, and rather thick on the palate. im a big fan of the balance of everything here, its not too crazy outside of the box, but very enjoyable. theres hardly a hint of any alcohol so it just feels excellent.
D: ive never been one to drink many scotch ales, but purely because of the super malty nature. this i could have a few and be ok with it. quite nice, and recommended.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

thanks to jamie for this bottle.

A- deep dark burnt red color. very little if any head

S- Peet and smoke malt. almost scotch whiskey like

T- Malt bomb x2 barely any hops to be tasted. peet and earthly notes. some herbal farm like taste.

M-thick and rich. a little heavy for me. but not bad

O- I am not a big fan of scotch ales but this one is ok. one is more than enough by itself. a hearty winter meal would be good to suit it.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A - Dark amber/mahogany color with a thin tan head that left lacing.

S - Strong maltiness, roasted, with butterscotch and a smokey hint with an ever-so-slight hoppy finish.

T - Strong maltiness with lots of roasting and a butterscotch aftertaste. Incredibly strong in flavor. Very tasty.

M - Crisp but smooth. Syrupy in flavor and texture but more medium in body.

D - It's overwhelming flavor paired with its medium body doesn't lend towards a very drinkable beer but it's certainly good!

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Package: 12 oz. longneck, crowned brown bottle. No date information or ABV indicated. Pictish mascot with a crown, toothy grin, halberd, and foaming mug of brew. Blurb describes this as a smooth, elegant, robust ale.

Cost: $8.99 per 6-pack at Shop-Rite

Presentation: Poured into a Shaker pint glass at ~45º

Appearance: Pours a ruddy chestnut, with a moderate to large bone-colored head, which maintained a ¼” layer. Body was surprisingly crystal clear, as I believe this is bottle-conditioned, which usually leaves some particulates in suspension. Head leaves some moderate lacing.

Smell: The hops seem to rush in front of the more languid malts, giving this an unpleasant sharpness. The malts come on with hints of caramel, roasted malts, and a faint burnt-coffee aroma.

Taste: The hops again seem to dominate this in a jarring fashion. I guess the expectation of a Scotch Ale distorts one’s perception; but the citrusy tang bludgeons the malts. As it warms and I swish it around my mouth, I can pick out the caramel-tinged, roasted malts; but the burnt flavor ruins the malt flavors to some degree. There is also some sweetness, but not the rounded malts I look for in a Scotch Ale. The finish is also oddly short, a bit watery, and clashingly citrusy. Also, the flavor seemed to deteriorate as this warmed.

Mouthfeel: Particularly weak, and reminiscent of Alpha Klaus. Despite a high ABV, the mouthfeel is not very warming, full, or rounded. The carbonation also seemed a touch harsh, exacerbating the watery texture.

Drinkability: I didn’t find this very impressive. Despite its high ABV, this isn’t a very “filling” or satisfying drink. Not very "smooth and elegant."

Backwash: That’s two disappointments from 3 Floyds in a row. I’m coming to the conclusion that 3 Floyds doesn’t really do great versions of classic UK styles (or chooses an iconoclastic approach which I don’t quite appreciate yet). Like the Alpha Klaus Porter, this seemed watery, and overly bitter, without providing the hoppy joys of Dreadnaught or Alpha King. I didn’t find much balance or the expected maltiness in this beer that I’d hoped for. Unlike Dark Lord, which really re-defines its category, Robert the Bruce just seems like a bit of a failure. It doesn’t seem to know if it wants to be a New World, hoppy, Scotch Ale (at which it fails for me); or something entirely new (which it doesn’t seem to achieve either). Still, 3 Floyds still makes some stupendous beers, and I look forward to the next one I try.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Dark copper in color. Not much of a smell for my nose, probably due to the complete absence of hops which results in a flavor that I am not so used to. I am sure that is indicative of the style, but this brew lacks flavor altogether, indistinct malts, little to taste at all. Surpisingly, even the alcohol did not get noticed. Love Three Floyds, but this did not impres me. May have to edit once I gain more experience with the style.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Copper to maroon color with some light lacing and a lasting beige head. Transluscent beer. Smells of signature Three Floyds hops moreso at first and fades into a light but pleasant mild peaty maltiness. Taste is smooth, mild maltiness with some tartness and a touch of peat. Pretty tame flavor overall, I thought. This one is still pretty drinkable but not to remarkable, I thought. Good for a style I'm not fond of, I guess.

Reviewed from notes

A brown/copper pour with big two finger head that leaves bits of lacing. Smell is musty malts, orange peel, and perhaps some floral hops.

Taste is a bit watery. Certainly not unpleasant, but for a 7% brew I am shocked by how little flavor is here. There are small amounts of biscuit and caramel, but really not much else. Mouthfeel is medium to full with a lot of carbonation. I suppose if you were looking for a slammable 7 percenter than this would be a good choice but really I don't see the point of this beer. Either be a lower alcohol session beer or come with a little more flavor to reward careful drinking.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a deep crimson color with two fingers of off white head.

This is more reminiscent of a Black IPA/IPA than a Scottish Ale; big tropical hop notes with some nice caramel backing.

Definitely remains me of the restrained versions of Black IPA's; big tropical notes with some roast and bready malt notes.

Crisp, prickly, clean feel with low carbonation and a light medium carbonation; a little light for a "scottish ale".

Pretty easy drinking but not what I would expect from a scottish ale at all. This reminds me a lot of Pride and Joy from Three Floyd's in that it is a decent beer, but far from close stylistically to the beer it's labeled as.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured a crisp mahogany with 1/2 a finger of light khaki colored head.

The aroma is pretty muted in my opinion... getting some caramel malt and a hint of toffee.

The taste follows suite. Caramel malt and a touch of toffee.

Medium to full in body with an abundance of carbonation. This is a plus in my opinion because it brings this bland beer to life somewhat.

Overall, this was a disappointment. I love a good scotch ale but this one was pretty underwhelming. Glad I got it as an extra because I have always wanted to try it. And thats all I have to say about that...

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.