Floyd D'Rue - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Floyd D'RueFloyd D'Rue

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BenJames on 06-27-2014

Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 19
4.04/5  rDev +18.8%

Tasted on tap at The Bruery on 4/22/15.

2.69/5  rDev -20.9%

Floyd D'Rue
Large shared bottle.
Overly boozy and medicinal in both the nose and the taste. Syrupy, full sticky body.

4.94/5  rDev +45.3%

Wow . Smells strong but wow is it smooooth and kind of sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

had a bubblegum taste to it

Soured porter with cinnamon and spice. Spices, tarness and bourbon work in a weird way.

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Interesting collaboration. Boozy and the rum barrels give port like quality.

1.76/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sour and nasty. Hope I get an exchange like rumored

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

20 year old Manischewitz, A1 steak sauce, awful astringency. Keith Richards exfoliates with this.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

A friend shared his bottle with me at Side Project release, thanks Mike!

A-The beer poured dark brown, but looked a little thin.

S- spicy smells of things like nutmeg, cinnamon, maybe ginger (?) somewhat astringent spice aroma. It smells okay.

T- very weird flavors. Lots of spices, but they do not congeal into a pleasant taste. Way too much spice character and the spices just conflict with each other. Again, there is an astringent quality to the spices, almost tart tannic quality to the finish.

Overall, it was pretty terrible beer. I drank with two other people and both of them agreed it was terrible also. Between the three of us, we did not even finish a third of the bottle. We poured out our glasses and the bottle. I really don't think it is infected like a lot of people mention. I just think they did a really bad job with the spicing of this beer, and as the beer is aging the spice character is not aging well.

After opening the smell of rum is pungent. The spices also come through underneath. The color is black and the lacing looks appealing. The first taste I noticed was the burn of alcohol and the thick mouthfeel, under that was the malt. Coffee and spice flavors are hidden behind the overpowering rum flavors.
This limited brew isn't great and expensive, but as the tag line goes "It's Not Normal" and still an entertaining mix of harsh flavors. This is a beer to sip and share with friends, good luck downing a bomber alone.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Murky brownish black, fizzy tan head that fades away rapidly. Minimal to no lacing.

Somewhat astringent boozy nose, not tart. Gingerbread cookies, anise, Underberg bitters.

Taste is pure Underberg too, anise and gingerbread, astringent herbal bitterness. Anise, so much anise. Not too hard to drink, but the intense spices do dominate. If you know what you're getting into, it's not bad. Not sour or infected, just astringent from the double digit abv and intense spicing.

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Unfortunately, the bottle that we drank at my buddy's bottle share was infected. It wasn't to the point of not being drinkable, but it had a very sour back end. Without the infection, it would have been a decent beer, but it still wouldn't have been worth the price of admission.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

The nose was like Christmas with loads of gingerbread and birthday cake. The flavor had more black licorice, prune, date and raisin. I give this a little higher score because there's a ginger snap flavor that courses throughout and I love ginger snaps.

Thanks to Jeff for this one. Brue d'Hype... that's what this beer needs to be called. 750ml capped bottle into a Founders snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 1 finger mocha colored head with decent retention. Beer is pitch black with slight layered and spotty lace with moderate stick. Decent.

Nose is mocha, cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate, fudge and roast. A bit minty and very aromatic. Weird but kinda nice.

Opens tart cinnamon and notes of tart red fruit, wine, roast, smoke and other spices. Clearly infected but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and aggressive in the mouth and thin and sparkling going down. Finishes messy with a lingering, filmy aftertaste. Really thin for an imperial porter.

This beer is really the epitome of what people hate about these two breweries. Lots of hype, expensive, and just really not good. I don't know what's trying to be accomplished here but the flavor and body are both just awful. Hard pass on this one.

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

A: A vigorous pour is required for head. A nice lace remained after the head dissipated. The beer is a very dark brown in color and no light could be seen through the opaque liquid as I held it up.

S: The smell is very rich. Strong notes of the spices (Nutmeg and cinnamon stood out to me) and rum barrels. My only complaint would be that these smells overpower any hint of the malt smell I love in porters.

T: The beer opens with a very dark, rich and strong malt flavor for a second before the spices kick in for the body. Like the smell I detected strong notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. The finish tastes strongly of good rum and has some alcohol notes. You can tell that this has been aged in rum barrels.

M: The mouthfeel is rich and creamy without much carbonation.

O: I can understand why people might not like this beer. It is very strong and the advertised flavors are powerful. I let a friend have a sip and her only response was "No." I think they went a little overboard with the spices and the barrel aging and lost some of the malty porter goodness that I love.

That being said, this beer is exactly what it advertised on the label and I can't knock it. An Imperial Porter with spices aged in rum barrels. If you like beers that overwhelm the palate with brash flavors and little subtlety or if that description sounds as good to you as it did to me you will probably like this beer. I would have it again if offered, but think the $30 price tag for a bomber is a bit steep for the quality.

Beer was served from a 750 ml bomber into a Blind Pig Mug.

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottle acquired in a trade. Thanks to another great trade with Peoria Ryan, who makes the trek out to the FFF brewery from time to time.

Ha, wow, this is a strange one! The earlier reviews say it all. It smells like a cinnamon stick, rolled in some pumpkin spice, and boozy. There's something really, seriously tweaked in the nose - alarm bells are ringing - but you're still not close to prepared for how tart it is, edged with the rum. It tastes like a weird halloween rum sour. There's nothing particularly wrong with the appearance or mouthfeel, but it's a matter of guilt by association - sorry fellas, this pirate ship is sinking!

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from 25 oz bomber into snifter
A- really nice deep brown, almost black, with a thin, nutty brown head. Good lacing down the side of the glass.
S- cinnamon, pumpkin, liqourice. Heading downhill quickly. Nutmeg, and other spices.
T- don't think I can finish this. Umm...the alcohol is hidden well
M- medium creamy feel but the flavor just washes all goodness out
O- This is a huge letdown, to say the least. $30 a bottle...I feel like I should get my money back. Or at least a bottle of ZD.

1.21/5  rDev -64.4%

I really have no clue what the hell the flavors in this beer are. It's sour. It smells like pumpkins and cinnamon. I'm definitely drain pouring this $30 beer. $30 for 25 oz is $1.20 an oz. I'm sure as shit glad someone else paid for this. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.25/5  rDev -63.2%

Ditto except I paid for this shit... kinda. I spent way more New Glarus than this deserves. FFF, you got some splainin to do. It's unfortunate I have to add more to fill the comment length because the only nice things I have to say are about the label.

Floyd D'Rue from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.