1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chevalier Bertrand Du Guesclin - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Chevalier Bertrand Du GuesclinChevalier Bertrand Du Guesclin

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

In order to survive in the 14th century one needed to be a force to be reckoned with. In Brittany, Spain and France this knight proved his mettle in battle. This tart blueberry ale was brewed in one of our 3000 gallon foeders in his honour.

(Beer added by: kevanb on 07-24-2014)
Reviews by ZombiesAteMyDog:

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

750ml bottle poured into Teku. Let warm up from fridge temp for 20 minutes before drinking.

Huh. Another "sour" from FFF. Not sure why I allow my need to tick their beers to punish me like this. Either way, let's see how this one did. Hopefully it's not colored distilled vinegar.

A) Pours with an inch of soapy white head that recedes quickly to a small amount of foam around the edge. Nice carb for this style. Not too heavy or light. It's a pretty normal sour brown color but with a strong purple hue. Looks like what you would expect.

S) Okay, here is where you'd usually find the rubber cement from FFF's wine barrel aging. This... isn't that. Smells of muddled blueberries poured into a small glass of chardonnay. It's actually pretty nice. No strange medicinal smells going on here.

T) Here we go, time for the vinegar and probably butter due to the blueberries!

Uhm. That.. uhm. Huh. Starts with a solid sour maltiness. A bit sweet and a bit sour but not too strong in either. Balanced. Then brings the white wine dryness and just as you think that will take over, the sweet blueberries hit leaving a very pleasant aftertaste. I took a sweet minute with this, taking sip after sip to see if I am crazy and trying to find the defect. This is actually good. I feel like my whole world has turned upside down.

M) No alcohol present, not overly sweet or mouth puckering sour. Right amount of carb for the style to keep you drinking without it becoming a chore.

O) I'm sure I'll see this review talked about as a "homer hyping his beer". That's fine. Read my review of Tiberian Inquisitor if you believe that. This is actually surprisingly good. What I thought was going to be a horrible review I would have fun with turned into a very tasty drinking experience. Congrats FFF, you made a tasty wild ale!
EDIT: This is basically La Folie with blueberries and a bit of dryness to keep it from being too sweet.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased and consumed weekend of 7/26/14

Appearance: A deliciously pretty looking blue/purple hybrid

Smell: Nicely sour with a not disappointing amount of blueberry, though I certainly would not have complained if there had been more

Taste: I would call this medium sour with oaky, vinegar, and berry notes being those most dominant. It strikes a good balance I thought, but would I would have been more than okay if thing had been more pronounced.

Mouthfeel: Appropriate level of carbonation and weight to the liquid.

Overall: A very delicious beer. I was concerned with it being a sour from Three Floyd's, but I was pleasantly surprised. If I thought about what I would want from a blueberry sour, this is close to what I would imagine. Not idea what age will do to it, but it is a very good beer right now.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Purchased from the brewery on 07/26:

Appearance: Not the enormous head I'm used to seeing from Three Floyds beers, but this has an elegant amber color with purple hues. Waves of lacing can be found.

Smell: Funky smell, pretty typical for a wile ale except there's a touch of blueberry in there.

Taste: Fantastic. Excellent flavors. The blueberry makes an appearance and doesn't over-stay its welcome, the alcohol is concealed, and this is absolutely pleasing. Very sour and fairly sweet to provide a bit of balance.

Mouthfeel: This goes down incredibly easy. It's fairly crisp, and the flavors coat the palate nicely. Perfect level of body thickness.

Overall: There's a lot going on, and I'm not an expert in the style to say exactly what works, but there is a lot that works. This is a special beer, one that uses restraint with the blueberry flavor but manages to be quite sour. This is expensive but absolutely worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%

750ml bottle poured into Teku glass

A- First off, great label art and cool blue wax dipped top. Beer pours a deep maroon/slight purple with whisps of white head.
S- As soon as you open the bottle, a flood of berry notes hit you... blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry. After pouring slightly sweet, but big vinigar sour smell. Salivating already.
T- Lactic sourness kicking in right up front, then finished with hint of sweet berries. This is as good as any sour I'v had. Even though this is a 2014, it reminds me of the complexity of something with 2 or 3 years on it already. I think this will age well.
M- Nice and light. Very refreshing.

O- Loved this sour. Only wish is that the blueberry was bigger on the back end, but maybe as it warms the fruit will come out more.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%