1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,234 | Reviews: 1,623 | Show All Ratings:
John

I was practically speachless after tasting this masterpiece of beer perfection. I don't know the specs but this is one big ass beer. Spicy hop attack, syrupy alcohol, substantial malt presence, more alcohol, peppery hop finish. Run, don't walk to try this awesome brew!

09-19-2001 09:02:44 | More by John
Jables

Aroma is incredibly floral with hops all over. The taste begins with a bang of hoppiness but is immediately balanced by sweetness. The finish has slight notes of alcohol but still persistent hops and light malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is slightly chewy, very silky smooth. The drinkability is incredible but dangerous considering the ABV%.

**The more I have this, the more I realize that this is the perfect IPA, it has it all, and I've yet to have anything that rivals this beauty. I can't get enough.

06-08-2003 20:48:59 | More by Jables
WVbeergeek

Let's start out by saying there is no quesiton why this beer is so highly sought after, you'll know from the second you crack the bottle. Appears: a deep copper orange hue with a huge frivilous cream colored long-lived head that has left me with some visually appealing full bars of lacing. Aroma: Now this is the selling point of this beer a succulent layer of piney hops masked by an undertow of earthy floral hops this beer is just as malty as it is hoppy adding to the balance and pure greatness of it. If it makes sense this beer's aroma smells like buttery sweet caramelized whole leaf hops it's hard to picture that but once you smell this you realize why this is the most incredible hop nectar I have ever quaffed. Taste: Equally if not surpassingly more amazing than the aromatics, layers of sugar and hop bitterness blend into one orgy of flavor on the palate the piney, slightly earthy, citrus tones of the hops are met with an equally amazing caramel syrupy sugar quality from the malts used here. Clears out the sinuses with hop bitterness and fulfills your sweet tooth at the same time, now that's what I call a beer. Mouthfeel: The creamy texture sends you directly into complete indulgence mode here with juicy hop resin and a full bodied via the malt profile this beer is here to please not only beer enthusiasts but to turn the macro drinker toward the light. Drinkability: Well, it has to rank up there in one of my most amazing tasting experiences of all time, Three Floyd's has redefined an Imperial IPA for me watchout west coast here comes the midwest. So, good and drinkable if I were to come across this beer on tap somebody call the D.D. or better yet let's flag down a bloody taxi because whoever is with me is going to imbibe and enjoy this revolutionary beer at my side.

09-24-2003 21:25:57 | More by WVbeergeek
filabrazilia

Colorado

Pours a hazy orange with a billowy white head that floats on the surface of the beer like a great big cloud. Fantastic lace sheets the glass with each sip.

A graasy, citrusy hop nose highlights the aroma of this beer. A touch of malt balances the hops nicely.

The carmel like sweetness of the malt is finished by a grassy hoppines. This is what an IPA shopuld taste like. This is the most balanced IPA I have ever tried. Neither the hops nor the malt dominate the flavor yet both standout.

This is a nice chewy beer that is not too heavy and is characterized by a slight bitter bite that lasts from beginning to end. This beer is the epitome of what a perfect beer should be.

I loved this beer and cannot wait to try this wonderful tonic again. This beer is what beer is all about. Simplicity, complexity, balance, hydration, contentment. Superb.

06-13-2004 02:24:41 | More by filabrazilia
egajdzis

I would have to say that this gets a perfect score. Golden orange appearance with an almost white head and nice sticky lacing drapes the glass. Sweet, citrus hops taste all the way through. Taste is vibrant with intense tropical fruits, and nice bittering hops. Alcohol is very well masked. The benchmark for which all IIPA's should be compared to.

06-13-2004 20:37:06 | More by egajdzis
silenius

I think what I like most about this beer is its solid nature. It is an all around solid great beer. It is not the most complex, but that works in its favor here. Sometimes, a complex beer loses points in drinkability with me because after one, my palate is tired. Not so with this one.

Dreadnaught is a beer I can enjoy immensely and still want to reach for another.

I bought this in a 22 oz bomber. The label has a crazed British soldier drinking from a metal mug labeled "I.P.A." next to him are two rather weird looking purple skinned people that are supposed to be Indian I think. Who the hell draws this stuff?!?!?

It pours a warm looking hazy golden orange with a chunky head. Lacing on the glass is evident and a paper thin layer of head floats on top of my glass all the way down.

It smells fruity, but not overpowering. Less fruity than, say, a Stone IPA. Once again, not over the top, but solid. I like that.

The taste is not overwhelming hops. It is hoppy, however. I think they did a great job of integrating the hops and malt. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually on the creamy side and not harsh. The hops last in my mouth, but are not overpowering. Food goes well with this beer (At least the feta, tomato, and spinach pizza from Trader Joe's goes well).

I wish I had some 12oz. bottles of this so I could have 3 in a night. Very nice job.

06-19-2004 01:02:41 | More by silenius
Southernbrew

Georgia

Pours bright orange with a small, bubbly head.

Tons of hop aroma in the nose. It's like a pine bomb went off in the glass. Lots of bitterness and a little sweetness too.

Full bodied with light carbonation, but smooth and creamy. Absolut hop bomb here. Tons of citrusness that becomes quite bitter and just finishes with a dry bitterness. Sweetness is also quite pronounced as well with some malt backbone. This beer is all about the hops though.

Delicious IIPA, I know all 5's should be rare but this is truly an exceptional beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. Truly a masterpiece. Just wish I'd bought more than one.

08-30-2004 00:10:04 | More by Southernbrew
TastyTaste

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

09-10-2004 18:30:43 | More by TastyTaste
BeerFink

Flowing from the 22oz bomber, this hazy ale fills my snifter with a very attractive deep orange. About a finger of head rises to top off this beautiful brew. Oh yeah, this is what an IPA should smell like! Lots of citrous aromas dominate the nose. Very clean piney hops add to this powerful aromatic experience. The smell is completed by a little caramel and malt. The taste is wonderful. Hops are quick to attack the palate with sharp citrous and pine notes. The hops are wonderfully potent, but amazingly not overpowering. Sweet caramel and malt flavors form a solid backbone for the taste. There are some spices present that dance with the hops and tantalize the tongue. This is IPA on a Biblical level! Mouthfeel is big, creamy, and smooth - at the same time staying sharp from the hops. Residual hop oils coat your mouth and provide a bitter dry finish, although some of the malt and spice also stick around. Alcohol, although slightly warming, is well hidden in the taste. Wonderfully drinkable, I want to drink Dreadnaught until the day I die. I was a little skeptical about paying $9 for a bomber, but I wish I would have bought everything the store had!

Damn, this is the standard by which all IPAs will be forever judged. I cannot say a single bad thing about this beer. I have always been leary about handing out 5's for a beer, but this brew has honestly earned it. If you can find a bottle, pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

04-01-2005 23:04:53 | More by BeerFink
Sephiroth

Indiana

Nothing surpasses the joy I feel when a new batch of Dreadnaught hits the local stores. Well, almost nothing. If you are planning to consume this beer it must be poured into the proper glassware. If you do not have this, wait to consume the beer.

Poured into a tulip of course, this beer is orange, with an inch of white head. It fades, but maintains a small head. Some lace clings to the glass.

It has been far to long since I have enjoyed this smell. I could get a similar effect from sniffing a pine cone. Some citrus is thrown in there as well. This is the finest nose of any IIPA I have encountered. I feel the same way about the taste. There is a barrage of piney, citrus infused artillery, with a single burst of sweet, caramel malt fire in the midst of all that.

The mouthfeel is lightly, very creamy. That is not a typo. Drinkability is high. I use that word often, so to be more specific, I have been known to drink three of these in a night. I'm just rambling here, but wine connoisseurs pay a lot more for a comparable amount of the finest wines in the world, however, many breweries put out equally world class beers at considerably less price.

Edit: I must blame my 4.5 appearance score the last time on a dirty glass. Tonight's pour into a thoroughly rinsed glass yielded the two inch head and blanketing lace that I expect from IN's finest.

07-23-2005 08:43:14 | More by Sephiroth
lostbearbrew

Georgia

I may have found the perfect beer for my tastebuds - and nose. This is one amazing olfactory and taste bud experience. Holy hops/malt balance, Batman!

Copperish tones, with red highlights, large fluffy bubbly head.

Major grapefruit up front in the nose, overtop of pine and a little straw, and some nice bready malt.

The flavor is insanely wonderful, this is as close to hophead beer nirvana as I have been privy to yet. Bitter citrus notes hit hard, and then hang on, but there are other flavors to be sampled throughout the sip. Nice sweet caramelly or sugary taste that really compliments the hops nicely.

Mouthfeel is simply stunning - no hot throat or even warm tummy. Sort of sits in your mouth, on your tongue and even down the top of your throat for a long time as each sip slowly fades away...

Only drinkability issue is finding more of this to sip on....

08-24-2005 19:15:32 | More by lostbearbrew
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours to a deep amber with a slight haze, a decent off-white head that dissipates at a normal rate and leaves a think, even lace on the glass.

S: A great blend of hops and citrus. I was expecting a hops smell that would knock me over, but the orangey-tangerine sweetness makes the aroma very pleasing.

T: The sweetness in the smell makes you think it may be overly sweet but that is certainly not the case. Excellent heavy hops flavor as you would expect for the style with citrus and malt to balance it out. There’s almost no hint of the 9.5% ABV. The hops flavor stays in the after-taste (again, as expected) along with a bit of sweetness, which personally I haven’t found in too many beers of this style. The taste in each sip makes you crave the next.

M: Very crisp. Very smooth. Perfectly balanced. Medium-bodied. Light carbonation. VERY clean finish.

D: Since this beer has an excellent taste, hides the high ABV and is both smooth and balanced, I’m giving it a rare 5 score.

When I found out about a place around here that sold stuff from Three Floyds I went there as soon as I could in hopes that this beer would be there. When I got there, they didn’t have it, but assured me they’d be getting it. About a month later it arrived and I have to say it has lived up to all of the hype and made the wait worth while. If you have access to this beer, you owe it to yourself to at least try it and more than likely consume a great deal of it.

02-26-2006 05:30:56 | More by TheManiacalOne
bubbapit

My favorite style of beer is any variation of an IPA. I have had a LOT of IPA's/Imperial (double) IPA's, and I must say that I have NEVER had a beer of this style taste better than Dreadnaught! This beer is so much in a league of its own. I love the grapefruit flavor to this beer. I am not sure what these folks use for hops, but I am guessing maybe Cascade, Amarillo, or Nugget. Take a whiff of this beer! I can't get over how floral it is. This is such a gem. The closest beer I have had in flavor to this one lately of a similar style is Troeg's Nugget Nectar, but this Dreadnaught would still take top prize in my book! Grab a bottle! Cheers!!!

03-16-2006 01:19:22 | More by bubbapit
ultralarry2006

Good three finger head that eventually receded into one and lingered until the end, with thick lacing - Nice hazy, orange - copper hue, expected IPA standard, poured from 22 oz. bomber. Nose of citrus- specifically grapefruit ad infinitum!! - A little bit of the malt playing the strong silent type in its backbone role was occasionally asserting itself -only to have grapefruit take center stage, as well as left and right !! Very inviting to us hopheads!! This is exactly how it tasted as well - grapefruit all over the place, on top of the caramel malt backbone , and more grapefruit again. Smooth mouth with moderate carbonation, went down very easy wtih thick hop oil coating left behind. I like this a lot, and find it easy to drink - excellent ale !!

03-30-2006 20:07:56 | More by ultralarry2006
assurbanipaul

Pours a bright hazy amber with a thin but persistent head that disappears just a little too easily. In a Duvel tulip, it looks like a slightly darker Duvel. Aroma is massive and floral, bright sweet oranges and piney hops. I'd wash dishes with it.

Taste is a light, toasty malt with some serious hoppage. More bright hops, fruity sweet, biscuity, candy sweet, mandarin oranges or tangelos. Some earthiness, bits of a fruit garden, honeysuckle flowers, something soil-y and loamy about the flavors. No trace of alcohol, any tastes have been run out of town by the hops. Finish is bitter and lingers, mmmm, it lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium, very smooth, slick and oily. You don't so much drink it as slide it down your throat. Finished a bomber much too quickly. I've suffered through a lot of over-the-top hop bombs, but this is the best use of hops I've ever encountered. I originally went just a hair short of a perfect score, and debated it internally for days. But I have to relent and upgrade this to my third all-5s beer. It's just flawless.

04-14-2006 02:55:22 | More by assurbanipaul
HopsHops

Indiana

Unbelievable....If you are into hoppy HOPPY bitterness...

the dreadnaught is nothing less than excellent...i cant deny it....

Its too real for me....i mean the alpha king was great...but WOW

not only is this my favorite beer but so far....i cant think of a better brewery....its a gorgeous copper color, the aroma is just all over the place as soon as u crack the bottle HOPS and more hops...bitter fruits sticky lip feel on the mouth...your palate will never be the same once u try this one....it pours out cloudy and forms a real nice white head with some copperish tones...ill admit it..im not very good at reviewing beers with fancy words and describing all the different foods that it smells and tastes like..i just know when the shit is good..and this is overpowering with greatness it sticks to the cup ..er laces..wtfever...nicely..u cant go wrong with this one ...im on my second $11.50 bottle this week...i just had to have it again...what more can i really say ?

11-10-2006 02:06:07 | More by HopsHops
MrMcGibblets

this pours a nice, thick, orangey light amber with just a slight haze. just looks big and menacing in that little bowtie at the pub or a tulip at home. off-white creamy, beautiful head and persistent lacing. aromas are huge and upfront, with the citrusy sweet hops (like fresh orange blossoms) dominating along with some fresh bread dough, honey, pine, and floral notes. prominent sweetness at the beginning is eventually overtaken by the huge, but smooth hop bitterness in this beer. absolutely refined and not in any way rough around the edges like some other ipa's or dipa's. balance is superb. super long finish, only at the end of which is the faint warming alcohol (hidden in the aroma and taste)kick noticeable. huge bodied and viscous. dangerously drinkable. the best dipa i've had, hands down. note: i have had a light-struck bottle or two wherein some fishy aromas have developed. make sure it's fresh and not light-struck...just go to the brewery if possible.
i've had many special moments with this beer and could go on and on.

04-16-2007 00:21:11 | More by MrMcGibblets
Tilley4

Tennessee

This is the king of IIPAs. Hands down, no questions asked.

Pours a super hazy orange, not much of a head but no matter....

This thing assaulted me with its citrusy hop aroma 2 seconds after I cracked it open. Unbelievably citrusy aroma, pineapple or peach or something.

This is just over the top hoppiness here and I love it. Juicy citrusy hop flavor all the way. You know what you're getting when you open this and it doesn't disappoint.

Fabulous all the way around here. Too bad I didn't get a case. Got 5 left and was thinking about trading some but not sure I can get rid of this.

12-29-2007 03:17:56 | More by Tilley4
samriggins

Nebraska

On-tap @ the brewpub. This is my favorite beer ever! I've had it bottled before and loved it. This beer on tap kills!

You can see the hop oils oozing througout the glass. Very light in color, no haze. Not much head.

Smells like the produce section of a grocery store when all the fruit is ripe. Wait there's more...pine. The malt is there but the star of this show is hops.

Everythihng you smell you taste. Lot's of fruity/piney goodness. There's a good bit of grapefruit at the end. My wife says it taste like gummy bears.

For as big as this beer is the mothfell is very deceiving. It's not thick, or viscous at all.

I can and will dink this beer all day. Some people might claim this beer is off balance because of the HUGE hop profile but they would be missing the point.

06-14-2008 06:02:07 | More by samriggins
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Poured a deep, rather thick orangish brown with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is big with pineapple, caramel, biscuity malt, floral.

T: Taste is GREAT. After having this back to back with PtY I can say I liked Dreadnaught better. Fresh fruits, pineapple, tropical, some floral notes, caramel.

M: More malts, better balance, chewy, big hops, pine, pineapple on the taste, tasty indeed, was not a full out palate killer.

D: Extremely drinkable and smooth. Wow. I loved this stuff! Only the second perfect score so far.

Serving type: growler

02-14-2010 15:40:30 | More by barleywinefiend
rpardon7

Kentucky

First had this at a craft beer festival, and then at a local beer bar/beer store on tap.

Exceptional beer I give it an A on all aspects. The appearance is a golden hue with a nice firm white head. Smell is citrus all the way with a nice woody earth tone. Taste is out of the world very balanced nice hop to malt ratio for my palet with a hint of oaky smoothness to round out the beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth and silky not to sharp like some IPA's can be. Drinkability this beer I could drink all night but this could get you in trouble due to the higher ABV. Tremedous beer by Three Floyds and I am very happy that our distributors got their act together to bring this beer to the bluegrass.

06-29-2010 19:45:21 | More by rpardon7
PTMcB

A - Bright gold with thick head as white as clouds. The head clings to the glass as if trying to escape from the hops. High carbonation that shows you how active this beer is in smell and taste. An amazing display! To add, the head laces the glass so well, you can see where each previous drink was.

S - Citrus and HOPS with caramel notes. The floral hops are giving off an exceptional, powerful aroma.

T - Citrus and caramel at first, but then the hops overwhelm you (in a great way). The hop taste will linger in your mouth for quite a while.

M - High carbonation to balance out the powerful hops.

D - There is no denying I love this beer. The drinkability is amazing. Depending on how people feel about powerful hop taste is the difference in drinkability. For me this is perfect!

10-17-2010 18:10:44 | More by PTMcB
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

This is my second review of Dreadnaught, easily a desert Island beer for me, and possibly the beer I would drink last before I die (though Vanilla Bean Dark Lord probably would be it if available). Certainly it is my favorite beer that is easily available year round. I was INCREDIBLY fortunate enough to be given a growler of Dread that was tapped the day before from my beer guy in DC. I feel it is my duty to tell the beer world that you must try Dreadnaught on tap (fresh) or from a fresh growler to really appreciate this amazing beer.

The beer pours great with sticky lacing and a perfect orange hue characteristic on DIPA's, with a nice white head.

The smell might almost be the best part. Huge aroma of grapefruit, tropical fruit hops, notes of pine hops, candied malt, tangerine, and more waft effortlessly from the glass in such an open and dank way. Just so much hops in there but all of it with a beautiful fruit tinge and with some sweet malt to back it up.

The taste follows the flavor almost exactly, which I'm finding as I review more beers is becoming more rare. This beer does not disappoint and opens up a completely balanced flavor with absolutely no flaws or flavors that completely dominate. All the notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit, dank pine hops, sweeter bready malts, bitters and sweetness, and more all get along very well. Hops up front, malt and fruit in the middle, and a bittersweet end that lingers a long time.

Mouthfeel is great, it's so smooth and awesome. The creaminess is there with just enough carbonation. This is so great. Drinkability? I could drink this all day because the alcohol is hardly detectable at all, its completely sugar coated and pleasant, no burn is here AT ALL.

I had this growler next to a bottles of the best bottles Hop beers available right now (including two seasonals from great beer companies, two really great beers) and there was no contest. Granted, from a growler will always be better than a bottle for me, but still the Dreadnaught is just such a well crafted beer. What can I say, my handle even pays homage to this beer!

Serving type: growler

01-13-2011 18:30:14 | More by Dreadnaught33
BB1313

I split a bomber with a buddy, I wish I didn't! This stuff is so good! Pours a hazy golden color w/ a great creamy white head that isn't going anywhere and extremely sticky lacing. Great looking brew! Oh yeah, this is the stuff. Great fruity aromas, very pungent and extremely tropical. Peach, pineapple, mango, tangerine and grapefruit dominate. The flavors are extremely juicy, bitter, but balanced. Perfect! Mouthfeel is extremely creamy, smooth, awesome! Drinkability is great, alcohol is masked, easy drinking, amazing flavors make it impossible to want to stop. Holy shit!

This beer is best of the best. Hopslam has always been the benchmark for me along with Double Sunshine which I've recently had.. Dreadnaught is definitely on the same exact level, probably even slightly superior. This beer is for real, worth the hype. There's not one thing I'd change about this brew.. Perfection!

03-21-2011 18:19:39 | More by BB1313
b3shine

Deuce to tulip. TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN FOR DOUBLE IPAs! Perfect bouquet and combination of hops on the palate. Not gonna waste my time talking about obscure references to citrus fruits; take my word for it: there's a reason this stuff is $10 at the store for a 24 oz.

03-22-2011 01:27:33 | More by b3shine