Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,880
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,497 | Reviews: 1,691

Let's start out by saying there is no quesiton why this beer is so highly sought after, you'll know from the second you crack the bottle. Appears: a deep copper orange hue with a huge frivilous cream colored long-lived head that has left me with some visually appealing full bars of lacing. Aroma: Now this is the selling point of this beer a succulent layer of piney hops masked by an undertow of earthy floral hops this beer is just as malty as it is hoppy adding to the balance and pure greatness of it. If it makes sense this beer's aroma smells like buttery sweet caramelized whole leaf hops it's hard to picture that but once you smell this you realize why this is the most incredible hop nectar I have ever quaffed. Taste: Equally if not surpassingly more amazing than the aromatics, layers of sugar and hop bitterness blend into one orgy of flavor on the palate the piney, slightly earthy, citrus tones of the hops are met with an equally amazing caramel syrupy sugar quality from the malts used here. Clears out the sinuses with hop bitterness and fulfills your sweet tooth at the same time, now that's what I call a beer. Mouthfeel: The creamy texture sends you directly into complete indulgence mode here with juicy hop resin and a full bodied via the malt profile this beer is here to please not only beer enthusiasts but to turn the macro drinker toward the light. Drinkability: Well, it has to rank up there in one of my most amazing tasting experiences of all time, Three Floyd's has redefined an Imperial IPA for me watchout west coast here comes the midwest. So, good and drinkable if I were to come across this beer on tap somebody call the D.D. or better yet let's flag down a bloody taxi because whoever is with me is going to imbibe and enjoy this revolutionary beer at my side.

Poured from the bomber to my glass. Bill who sold it to me says it came in about 6 or 7 weeks ago.

A: Beautiful orange but on this one. Light amount of head on top leaving some great lacing.

S: I can smell the citrusy hops as I pour this. Sort of lemony with some good malt character in there. I'd describe the malt as being a little cerealy. Maybe some biscuit but not much.

T: Freakin' amazing. This is what an IPA is meant to be. The hops come through more of a citrus orange then lemon and the bitter lingers on the backend. Up front is that sweet malt. It's amazing just how long the hop stays with you. This is certainly one you can sip and enjoy for awhile. Makes it well worth that $11.99 price tag.

M: It feels "bright" in your mouth. From the moment you drink it until well after your done your taste buds will tingle. It's exactly what you want with an IPA.

O: A+ hands down. One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever had. If you're a lover of IPA's and haven't had this you're doing yourself a disservice.

Pours bright orange with a small, bubbly head.

Tons of hop aroma in the nose. It's like a pine bomb went off in the glass. Lots of bitterness and a little sweetness too.

Full bodied with light carbonation, but smooth and creamy. Absolut hop bomb here. Tons of citrusness that becomes quite bitter and just finishes with a dry bitterness. Sweetness is also quite pronounced as well with some malt backbone. This beer is all about the hops though.

Delicious IIPA, I know all 5's should be rare but this is truly an exceptional beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. Truly a masterpiece. Just wish I'd bought more than one.

Im very luck to get this brought to me. All the way from Kentucky Best beer Ive ever had? If not it's damn close. Lots of grapefruit favors. The smell is very strong. I'm finding it really hard not to finishing this off quickly. Extremly smooth for a 100 ibu beer.
I want more.

A: Dark orange with a big head that leaves some lacing. Definitely big alcohol legs going on.

S: WOW! this smell blew me out of the water. Big and juicy. Mango that just keeps going and going. Big tropical fruit, lots of pineapple, burnt orange and some lemon citrus. There is a caramel malt in the background here and a touch of pine but man, the mango just shines!!

T: The hops on this beer are amazing. Once again at the front to f the tongue mango shows up, grabs hold and doesnt let go. Then come the citrus, lemon, burnt caramel orange and pineapple. Towards the middle of the mouth you get a touch of malty sweetness but that is destroyed by the piney, resin hop bitterness at the end. And this finish keeps going and going and makes you crave more. It's pretty juicy. This is definitely a hop forward beer but the hops are all balanced out nicely together.

M: Syrupy, almost full bodied with just enough carbonation. This is very refreshing and surprisingly easy drinking. more please!

O: This was one of my first "religious" beer experiences back in the day and it only gets better every time i have it. The hops shine and it is just bursting with flavor. Probably my favorite beer! /99

WOW !! That's my one word review of this beer. Ok, ok, I can't get away with such an abbreviated writeup on such a marvelous beer; it definitely wouldn't do the dudes at FFF who brew this masterpiece justice.. So here I go with a review of this DIPA that some find perfect, while others throw rocks at, which I have no clue why.

Back in my craft beer adolescence, I had this beer a time or two and it was very good then. But obviously, my palate has evolved. Now I find this beer the beer that defines Three Floyds as the craft beer mega star.

Nick Floyd, this is one remarkable brew !! Keep up the great work.

Appearance -- this is one majestic tonic, sitting pretty in my duvel tulip after a so-so aggressive pour.

Smell -- to me, this beer blows Zombie Dust out of the water. Zombie Dust smells like Gumballhead on steroids, while Dreadnaught smells heavenly with a smell all its own. If Dreadnaught was bottled in six packs (hey, Nick Floyd are your listening?) this beer would out-sell Zombie Dust 2-to-1.

Taste -- all I can say is Dreadnaught is pairing very well with my salad with Caesar dressing. It's biting through the bitterness of the salad dressing but not overpowing in the least.

Mouthfeel -- oh darn, is that my pizza in the oven? Might be a bit on the done side, I forgot about time; enjoying the beer to the tilt. Mouthfeel, well, it's unlike any other hopped up brew I've had the pleasure of pouring into my duvel tulip. If I could score this beer 6s, I would.

Overall -- Did I say this beer gets better as it warms to room temperature? Oh well, I just did. Three Floyds makes some outstanding beers. I'd say this is the best of the best. Stock up whenever you get the chance to visit the craft beer mecca known as Three Floyds Brewing.

I split a bomber with a buddy, I wish I didn't! This stuff is so good! Pours a hazy golden color w/ a great creamy white head that isn't going anywhere and extremely sticky lacing. Great looking brew! Oh yeah, this is the stuff. Great fruity aromas, very pungent and extremely tropical. Peach, pineapple, mango, tangerine and grapefruit dominate. The flavors are extremely juicy, bitter, but balanced. Perfect! Mouthfeel is extremely creamy, smooth, awesome! Drinkability is great, alcohol is masked, easy drinking, amazing flavors make it impossible to want to stop. Holy shit!

This beer is best of the best. Hopslam has always been the benchmark for me along with Double Sunshine which I've recently had.. Dreadnaught is definitely on the same exact level, probably even slightly superior. This beer is for real, worth the hype. There's not one thing I'd change about this brew.. Perfection!

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours to a deep amber with a slight haze, a decent off-white head that dissipates at a normal rate and leaves a think, even lace on the glass.

S: A great blend of hops and citrus. I was expecting a hops smell that would knock me over, but the orangey-tangerine sweetness makes the aroma very pleasing.

T: The sweetness in the smell makes you think it may be overly sweet but that is certainly not the case. Excellent heavy hops flavor as you would expect for the style with citrus and malt to balance it out. There’s almost no hint of the 9.5% ABV. The hops flavor stays in the after-taste (again, as expected) along with a bit of sweetness, which personally I haven’t found in too many beers of this style. The taste in each sip makes you crave the next.

M: Very crisp. Very smooth. Perfectly balanced. Medium-bodied. Light carbonation. VERY clean finish.

D: Since this beer has an excellent taste, hides the high ABV and is both smooth and balanced, I’m giving it a rare 5 score.

When I found out about a place around here that sold stuff from Three Floyds I went there as soon as I could in hopes that this beer would be there. When I got there, they didn’t have it, but assured me they’d be getting it. About a month later it arrived and I have to say it has lived up to all of the hype and made the wait worth while. If you have access to this beer, you owe it to yourself to at least try it and more than likely consume a great deal of it.

This is the gold standard of IPAs. If I can't rate this as perfect then I don't know what I would or could rate perfect. It has great color, clarity, smell and taste. Perfect hop flower aroma and really packs a wollup! Definitely it's a special occasion experience. If you want to treat yourself then this is the one.

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

This beer is the G.O.A.T

Probably my favorite FFF beer.

I think what I like most about this beer is its solid nature. It is an all around solid great beer. It is not the most complex, but that works in its favor here. Sometimes, a complex beer loses points in drinkability with me because after one, my palate is tired. Not so with this one.

Dreadnaught is a beer I can enjoy immensely and still want to reach for another.

I bought this in a 22 oz bomber. The label has a crazed British soldier drinking from a metal mug labeled "I.P.A." next to him are two rather weird looking purple skinned people that are supposed to be Indian I think. Who the hell draws this stuff?!?!?

It pours a warm looking hazy golden orange with a chunky head. Lacing on the glass is evident and a paper thin layer of head floats on top of my glass all the way down.

It smells fruity, but not overpowering. Less fruity than, say, a Stone IPA. Once again, not over the top, but solid. I like that.

The taste is not overwhelming hops. It is hoppy, however. I think they did a great job of integrating the hops and malt. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually on the creamy side and not harsh. The hops last in my mouth, but are not overpowering. Food goes well with this beer (At least the feta, tomato, and spinach pizza from Trader Joe's goes well).

I wish I had some 12oz. bottles of this so I could have 3 in a night. Very nice job.

First had this at a craft beer festival, and then at a local beer bar/beer store on tap.

Exceptional beer I give it an A on all aspects. The appearance is a golden hue with a nice firm white head. Smell is citrus all the way with a nice woody earth tone. Taste is out of the world very balanced nice hop to malt ratio for my palet with a hint of oaky smoothness to round out the beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth and silky not to sharp like some IPA's can be. Drinkability this beer I could drink all night but this could get you in trouble due to the higher ABV. Tremedous beer by Three Floyds and I am very happy that our distributors got their act together to bring this beer to the bluegrass.

If I could give this beer a 10 on smell I would. Wonderful citrus overtones to an extremely hoppy berverage. Three Floyds generally doesn't disappoint, but I would wager Dreadnaught might be their best beer. Among the finest IPA's I've ever had. Hands down the best smelling beer I've ever had. For fans of Zombie Dust, search this one out it will blow your mind.

this pours a nice, thick, orangey light amber with just a slight haze. just looks big and menacing in that little bowtie at the pub or a tulip at home. off-white creamy, beautiful head and persistent lacing. aromas are huge and upfront, with the citrusy sweet hops (like fresh orange blossoms) dominating along with some fresh bread dough, honey, pine, and floral notes. prominent sweetness at the beginning is eventually overtaken by the huge, but smooth hop bitterness in this beer. absolutely refined and not in any way rough around the edges like some other ipa's or dipa's. balance is superb. super long finish, only at the end of which is the faint warming alcohol (hidden in the aroma and taste)kick noticeable. huge bodied and viscous. dangerously drinkable. the best dipa i've had, hands down. note: i have had a light-struck bottle or two wherein some fishy aromas have developed. make sure it's fresh and not light-struck...just go to the brewery if possible.
i've had many special moments with this beer and could go on and on.

Date Drunk: 3/3/11

On cask, this beer is just perfect. Smooths out to the point you think you might be drinking hop flavor water with the perfect wetness. I wish this can always be in cask form. The grapefruit and hops are really present in the cask version when compare to the bottle and tap. Try to hunt down this verison!

I was practically speachless after tasting this masterpiece of beer perfection. I don't know the specs but this is one big ass beer. Spicy hop attack, syrupy alcohol, substantial malt presence, more alcohol, peppery hop finish. Run, don't walk to try this awesome brew!

Wow, I love this brewery. I love every beer they make except the Rabid Rabbit(but I really don't like that style). Love this.

Deep Orange Color, like the hops made their home in this beer.

Great Hop Aroma!!

Strong Upfront Taste with a great balancing job.

If you can find this, get many and share with your friends...

Top notch from the boys of Floyds.

Deuce to tulip. TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN FOR DOUBLE IPAs! Perfect bouquet and combination of hops on the palate. Not gonna waste my time talking about obscure references to citrus fruits; take my word for it: there's a reason this stuff is $10 at the store for a 24 oz.

Pours a hazy orange with a billowy white head that floats on the surface of the beer like a great big cloud. Fantastic lace sheets the glass with each sip.

A graasy, citrusy hop nose highlights the aroma of this beer. A touch of malt balances the hops nicely.

The carmel like sweetness of the malt is finished by a grassy hoppines. This is what an IPA shopuld taste like. This is the most balanced IPA I have ever tried. Neither the hops nor the malt dominate the flavor yet both standout.

This is a nice chewy beer that is not too heavy and is characterized by a slight bitter bite that lasts from beginning to end. This beer is the epitome of what a perfect beer should be.

I loved this beer and cannot wait to try this wonderful tonic again. This beer is what beer is all about. Simplicity, complexity, balance, hydration, contentment. Superb.

A - Bright gold with thick head as white as clouds. The head clings to the glass as if trying to escape from the hops. High carbonation that shows you how active this beer is in smell and taste. An amazing display! To add, the head laces the glass so well, you can see where each previous drink was.

S - Citrus and HOPS with caramel notes. The floral hops are giving off an exceptional, powerful aroma.

T - Citrus and caramel at first, but then the hops overwhelm you (in a great way). The hop taste will linger in your mouth for quite a while.

M - High carbonation to balance out the powerful hops.

D - There is no denying I love this beer. The drinkability is amazing. Depending on how people feel about powerful hop taste is the difference in drinkability. For me this is perfect!

On-tap @ the brewpub. This is my favorite beer ever! I've had it bottled before and loved it. This beer on tap kills!

You can see the hop oils oozing througout the glass. Very light in color, no haze. Not much head.

Smells like the produce section of a grocery store when all the fruit is ripe. Wait there's more...pine. The malt is there but the star of this show is hops.

Everythihng you smell you taste. Lot's of fruity/piney goodness. There's a good bit of grapefruit at the end. My wife says it taste like gummy bears.

For as big as this beer is the mothfell is very deceiving. It's not thick, or viscous at all.

I can and will dink this beer all day. Some people might claim this beer is off balance because of the HUGE hop profile but they would be missing the point.

Aroma is incredibly floral with hops all over. The taste begins with a bang of hoppiness but is immediately balanced by sweetness. The finish has slight notes of alcohol but still persistent hops and light malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is slightly chewy, very silky smooth. The drinkability is incredible but dangerous considering the ABV%.

**The more I have this, the more I realize that this is the perfect IPA, it has it all, and I've yet to have anything that rivals this beauty. I can't get enough.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.