1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,242 | Reviews: 1,623 | Show All Ratings:
knight84

2.1/5  rDev -52.5%

Thanks to PabstBlue for this bottle.
Gusher upon opening, probably a bad bottle, looking forward to re-reviewing this one when I next get my hands on it.

Opaque burnt orange color with a clumpy off-white head that dissipates quickly leaving a little lace on the glass. Nose is piney hops along with some citrus and yeast. There is a definite sweetness too...not good. Smells like molasses, carmel, brown sugar, and a touch of hot metal. Decent complexity, just not quite right. Taste confirms my suspicions that this might be a bad bottle, very sweet, the bitterness is soft, there is a pronounced astringency. Reminds me of burnt molasses with a bit of metal in the finish, like sucking on a sugary nickel. Too bad about this bottle, I've heard great things about this beer and have been thoroughly impressed with FFF other brews, so I'm sure the next one won't disappoint.

01-12-2010 02:40:23 | More by knight84
cerevisiaephilus

2.4/5  rDev -45.7%

10-13-2003

Sorry everybody, but I don't like this beer. I hope I move it down in the rankings (edit: damn I didn't) because it made me mad. Maybe its just an off night or something for me, but this beer really is no good!

I'll admit the nose is quite nice, huge citrus hops cascade and centennial I would venture, with a hint of yeastyness and ethanol there.

The taste is huge, its too huge. Its not interesting, it simply rumbles over your tongue. This beer crosses the line. It seems like an excuse to make a stupidly big beer. DFH 90 min is what I think an IIPA should taste like...big but interesting and doing something other than gouping up my mouth. This beer is cloyingly sweet, extremely sweet. I think a really hoppy beer should be balanced with maltiness, NOT SUGAR. My mouth is now coated with a resinous shalack like syrup GODAMMIT! I hate that. The hops and alcohol (which is really obvious in this disaster of a beer) are giving me bad heartburn and I spilled it on my nice leather chair and it was a sticky fucking mess!

All in all, I say tone it down. I couldn't drink another one of these if I had to.

2-20-2005 UPDATE

Well...I had to give it another shot after my horrible experience last year. It it's on 7$ a bomber here which is cheaper than the 10$ I was told to expect. I just have to say that it wasn't my mood or a bad bottle or anything. I hated the beer this time and had to move the mouthfeel rating DOWN to 2.0. This stuff is like barely liquid cotton candy. Blech. It is so syrupy. I have to say that the american hop flavors are incredible, but far far too much. It tastes like they found out how to artificially synthesize american hop flavors and they poured a gallon of these chemicals into each bottle. Well this is certainly a technical achievement, it makes horrible beer. But do have to praise the lacing. Really impressive.

10-13-2003 04:18:21 | More by cerevisiaephilus
Kasia

2.42/5  rDev -45.2%

A-Very thin, fine head. Clean amber color. Served in a Snifter glass.

S-Citrus-floral aroma.

T-Sweet at first with a mildly bitter finish, consistent and medium bodied.

M-Someone described the mouth feel as a "golden coat". It has a nice clean feel to it.

D-An easily drinkable "sipping" beer.

Overall I was not impressed, its your average craft-brewed IPA.

03-09-2011 21:59:31 | More by Kasia
klewis

2.48/5  rDev -43.9%

A: Pours a clean and clear golden with orange tints. A small head quickly subsides, leaving no lacing.

S: Smells like all kinds of vegetal stuff - grass clippings, pine needles, lettuce, and celery.

T: Tons of hop flavor and bitterness in this all the way through the taste. Very intense vegetal flavors (pine and celery), as well as a touch of orange and citrus. If I were to decide to lick a pine tree one day, I think it would probably taste a little like this.

M: Full-bodied and extremely thick and heavy. Subtle carbonation lets the flavor come out

D: This is the least favorite of the DIPA's that I have tried. The vegetal flavors are too overwhelming, and although I don't consider the taste to be bad, I have a feeling that I'll be sick of it by the time I'm done with the bomber. I'll add this to the list of overhyped and overpriced beers that I've had this week.

(Edit: It turns out I got sick of the taste before I even finished my first pour. Every sip tasted worse, and it seems like it is not a bad bottle. I originally scored taste and drinkability higher, but dumping an $8 bottle of beer is cause for me to rate it lower.)

03-17-2006 01:26:48 | More by klewis
brewbacca

2.58/5  rDev -41.6%

S: Out of the bottle and in to a pint glass, I bought a bottle of this stuff while I was in chicago, and brought it back and drank it in SF.

A: Nothing fancy here light golden hue, with tiny head that disapeared almost instantly, light carbonation.

S: Hops, wheat (where did that come from?) some sweet malt notes, followed by phenals

T: Smelled, just like it tasted, I expected a huge hop whollop, but I was disapointed right away, it was weak and flat, not what I wanted at all. it had this funky tasted that wasn't right, I think it hadn't survivied the plane ride unfortunatly.

M: smooth, low carbs, slightly acidic.

D: propabably could have been better, I think the plane ride killed it

09-01-2005 22:07:44 | More by brewbacca
writerLJBerg

Oregon

2.59/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Apex for Gigantic Beer Week.

A: Clear copper color with bubbles drifting throughout. A thin ring of white head.

N: Dried leaves, pine, damp moss. Biscuit and a hint of pineapple. Not very strong, and not really all that appetizing.

T: Really, really sweet. More of that damp grass. Pretty sweet and then astringent. Where are the hops?

M: Oily and heavy. Lots of alcohol. Needs a lot of work.

O: Really unimpressive. Not wholly undrinkable, but I've given this beer three chances now, and it's been a complete let down every single time. Pass.

05-12-2013 04:37:14 | More by writerLJBerg
squaremile

Oregon

2.6/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured at a recent BA tasting event. I am about ready to give up on any IIPAs not brewed out west. This pours a copper/orange with a respectable head, but where is the aroma? There is some citrus flavors, mango, and white grapefruit there, but it is faint for a double. Taste is white grapefruit, caramel, mango, and tangerine. It is bitter but not hoppy. Long bitter finish. Disappointing.

05-31-2010 06:07:08 | More by squaremile
hulmanite

Iowa

2.7/5  rDev -38.9%

I realize this is actually a decent beer, but I'm going to have to be the dissenting opinion here. Maybe I just don't have a taste for IPA's (and I don't, in general), but to me, this one tasted like burned popcorn. Everything else about the beer is great! But, the taste is off-kilter to what beers should taste like.

05-27-2004 23:23:58 | More by hulmanite
beersabound

Alaska

2.75/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was very excited to try this one. However, I got an old bottle that had started to oxidize. There was no hops in the nose; only a sweetness dominated by wet cardboard. The appearance was clear and the head formed nicely but fell too quickly. The flavor had some good hop flavor, pale malt sweetness and pineapple type goodness. But the staleness was prominent and could be tasted around but was still disappointing. Anyways, I am adding this one just to let others know that there are stale bottles of this on the market; so buyer beware.

I still appreciate the trade with mcallister for this one. It is hard to know how fresh the beer is.

05-07-2007 01:06:21 | More by beersabound
maximum12

2.8/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to moose3285 for sending this along, I've been looking forward to trying it.

I had a Dreadnaught & an Alpha King, one of which I expected to love, one I figured would be OK. Only thing is I got them backwards.

Pours a distinct, cloudy orange with a touch of sediment swirling about & a very minimal, quick-dissipating head. Smells of hops a bit & a lot more sweet, earthy malt than I expected. Taste the same, with an almost gritty, soily taste with that sweetness coming in at th end.

Mouthfeel is very flat, almost like a high-ABV balrey- or wheatwine. The heavy malts overpowered the hops & made this somewhat muddled.

Give the great reviews, & my fondness for this style, I'd like to find this on tap someday & give it another go. But I'll pass on the bottles from here on out.

09-20-2008 02:20:59 | More by maximum12
deejaydan

2.85/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice copper color, with a beautiful head, good head retention and good lacing. Smell of hops, and some metallic aroma. Taste is okay, kind of sharp and acidic, hops are there, but not enough for an Imperial or Double IPA. Mouthfeel is appropriate, not great, but not bad. I don't think I'd look for this again, especially not if they are raising the price to $10 a bomber.

02-03-2005 00:54:06 | More by deejaydan
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -34.8%

From the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Got this in a nice BIF box from Sopernicus.

A - Hazy orange body with a white head on top

S - Big citrus hop flavor with what smells like a decent malt backbone to stand up to it.

T - Pretty balanced. A mix of citrus hops with a big malt backbone. Kind of boozy. Way more malt notes than I expected from this. Not nearly as hoppy as I expected

M - medium bodied, pretty good amoun of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. A decent beer but not an great one. sadly there are no dates present on the bottle so I have no way of knowing how fresh this is. I dunno the more I drink this the more let down I feel. Way too malty and boozy for a DIPA. I hope to try this on tap one day so I know what it tastes like fresh.

10-30-2010 20:36:10 | More by jpmclaug
TheDM

2.95/5  rDev -33.3%

Hotstuff and I went on a tour of their brewery. For $5 you get a 12oz glass of 3 of their beers. I thought this beer was not one of their better beers. The aroma was nice enough but its taste had an overpowering after bite that I did not like. The head was almost non existent. The color was very amber brown. Hotstuff gave it a 2 rating.

06-26-2003 17:15:03 | More by TheDM
Oxymoron

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev -32.6%

Dread not. Pour is a mostly cloudy golden color with a slight orange-yellow hue through out. A little help with the pour provided a think soft whit head. Guess it didn't need help. Great retention and lacing through out.

The nose is surprisingly balanced. A sweeter malt aroma comes out with mostly a grainy nose but some minor biscuit and sugary notes as well. The hop aroma is light for a IIPA (IMO) but mostly grapefruit notes and a light piney hop not on the back end.

The taste is more centered on the hop but is not in balance with bitterness and finishing flavors. The hops, to start, have a strong bitterness that lasts into the finish. This is enhanced with some stronger piney hop flavors that leave a bite and enhance the bitterness. The piney comes out just a bit stronger than the grapefruit but both are detectable. The malt is sweet with more of a sugary taste than anything else. Some minor grainy and honey notes but mostly sugar. There are some minor butyric, which is surprising and was a deterrent for me. Some solvent notes as well, but nothing over the top considering the ABV.

The body is moderate with a sweet finish that makes me think underattenuated. There is a high carbonation that enhances the bitterness as well, which is already out of tune.

Overall this beer has a lot of hype and just didn't produce for me. Some off flavors, sugary malt, and I would like to see more finishing hops.

08-20-2008 15:26:32 | More by Oxymoron
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.98/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks to BitterPachyderm for this bomber, poured into an oversized snifter.

Pours a bright copperish amber with a finger off-white head. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smells like a tropical fruit medley. Pineapple, orange, kiss of grapefruit, maybe the mango suggested on the bottle. Caramel malt definitely noticeable.

Tastes very fruity. The tropical fruits mentioned above, plus some peach and apple. Light sweet malt backbone. Gotta ask, though: where the heck is the bitterness? After smelling, I was hoping for something along the lines of Hop Stoopid (fruity but also with a significant punch of hops). What I got was the fruitiness without the hops.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel, but no bitterness in the finish (or anywhere else, really).

Overall impression: Is it possible that my palate is tainted from all the west coast hop monsters? I found this beer pleasantly drinkable, but entirely lacking in the "angry" bitterness I expect from a DIPA. Maybe it was an old bottle (hard to believe a beer this popular would sit around on store shelves going past its prime, though). If I have another chance to try it and have a different experience, I'll adjust my review/scores accordingly.

05-09-2009 18:43:48 | More by PDXHops
Hockeyfan1189

2.98/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a martini glass. Color seemed consistent with other IPA's of the high alcohol content variety, and it had a pleasant, slightly fruity smell. Regarding taste, you initially get hit with a flavorful mild fruit taste, but it fades into a musty bite that reminds me of the aftertaste of the awful Four Horsemen. It gains some points back in the fact that this "middle-after taste" goes away and leaves you with a reasonably happy palate. Incredibly smooth in the mouth, but slightly difficult to drink because of that musty taste in the middle.

03-03-2011 01:42:02 | More by Hockeyfan1189
harrymel

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -32.6%

Three floyds doesnt care about bottle date, so neither to I!

A: apricot ale with less than single finger of egg whites. This dissipates quickly to a broken sheet of the same. Ring lace. Excellent clarity.

S: biscuit malt, some citric hops. Hints of pine sol. Meh.

T: soooo, this beer quite sweet. Like honey and biscuits. Hints of pine. Not much else.

M: medium bodied and moderately hi carb.

O: I'm gonna guess this is old, but hard to tell. Until I've had a confirmed fresh beer, I have to say this beer is average.

08-12-2011 02:59:11 | More by harrymel
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Another American IPA beaten to death with hops. I reckon this would be great if they toned the hops down a bit. Massive grapefruit, lychee and pine-citrus (pine-o-clean) flavours. Malts are smooth lightly sweet, but quickly (too quickly) hidden by the fatty hops. Tasted like deepfried hops in the end, little balance. I understand that its not really meant to be elegant or anything, but it could have done with some restraint or something. I don't even think i liked as much as the score i gave it.

06-18-2004 13:09:14 | More by rastaman
SteveP

United Kingdom (England)

Bottle Conditioned. This is the last beer of a massive evening with Spiesy. We warmed up with some lesser beers before finishing with the two big beers of the night, this and Hop Rod Rye Ale. Sadly not impressed with either. Appearance of this is a slightly cloudy lightish amber with a very slight foam on top, slightly below average. The aroma is of an American Pale Ale - the sticky malt and the orange and grapefruit hinted hops rise in a pleasant, though not astounding manner. Nothing impressive so far. Mouthfeel is tingly and medium bodied - not quite as stickly as expected, though it has a tackiness that clings slightly to the mouth. Acceptable. The alcohol is well used to bring flavour and warmth. Flavour is orange flowers with a smearing of honey. There is a wow! intensity about this, and that seems the biggest asset. Impact. The flavours don't move much from front to finish, though it does linger pleasantly, shifting as it fades in the mouth - but here I am struggling to find good things about this, the 5th best beer in the world. It's nice. It's big. It has impact. It lingers nicely in the mouth. It's really not that great.

10-10-2004 23:33:54 | More by SteveP
maggotbrain

The beer pours brassy amber with a thick white head, which recedes to a thin cap. Each sip leaves a ring of lace on the glass. It is a very attractive beer.

The smell is an assault on the senses—in a good way. There is a little citrus in there, but I can’t escape the peach. Each sniff is like cutting peach and shoving my nose into it. I’ve never encountered this odor in a beer before. Interesting.

The taste is pretty good, I guess. It’s sweet with a lot of peach flavor. The peach actually seems to dominate a bit too much in my opinion. I must admit I prefer Ruination to this as far as double IPAs go; the Dreadnaught seems a tad one dimensional in comparison. It is very tasty mind you, in its own way, but not something I think I’ll be buying again anytime soon—especially at $8.99 for a 22 ounce bottle.

The mouthfeel is decent; it comes close to bordering on syrupy, but doesn’t quite cross that line.

The drinkability of this beer is just OK. This beer is so sweet that after I finish this bottle, I will have had quite enough of it. Overall though, it is an easy sipper and I’ll have to take it slow considering its high alcohol content.

09-30-2005 01:17:54 | More by maggotbrain
Infamous7100

3.03/5  rDev -31.4%

Well that was interesting. That was my thought after my very first forey into DIPA's. Never has my tongue felt the way it did while drinking this brew...well except that one night in Austin, but I digress. The appearance of this beer is nice enough, a yellow/orange hue with about a half finger head on it. Upon first whiff, my olfactory senses were cranking with the aroma of a whole lotta citrus, oranges to specific. And wow, could you smell the hops! The taste of this beer, as stated before, was a crazy. It numbs the back of your tongue with an overpowering (naturally) hopped up taste. It is also very bitter. I'm not ashamed to say the first few sips were on par with witnessing Rosie O'Donnell in a bikini. It was that rough. However, after the opening stanza of sips, the orange and citrus flavor started to creep up and neutralize the bitterness a little. As I said, in the mouth, it definitely sticks on the tongue and provides a unique feel. As far as drinkability goes, well, I drank it. Can't say how many more times I will though. Definitely not something I could sit down and have a few of, but definitely something to break out every once in a while. Once you get paste the first few sips, if you get past the first fews sips, the taste and sensation get a better and become part of the norm. Try this beer for the experience alone and try to forget about Rosie and her bikini.

02-02-2007 14:00:30 | More by Infamous7100
MaximalC

3.05/5  rDev -31%

Pours pale copper in color with a respectable off-white head. Lacing clings handsomely to the glass as the head recedes. Aroma smells of mango, peach, grapefruit, and pine. I wish I could say the flavor was as fruity and complex as the aroma; alas, I find it difficult to discern much besides the bold flavor of pine resin. Grapefruit is appreciable, granted, and some bready malt does come through in the finish once the hops have subsided, but it's a struggle to gauge anything more. This IPA is true to form, with over-the-top hop bitterness relentlessly accosting the taste buds. If you love DIPAs, you'll probably love this. I don't love DIPAs, so this doesn't do much for me.

01-05-2013 01:38:04 | More by MaximalC
clvand0

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -28.7%

This one pours an orange color with a nice head. The aroma was way strong and smelled very strongly of hops - I don't know what kind, but it was way strong. The hops dominate the flavor as well - very strong, but somewhat well balanced. Extremely good for an I2PA.

09-06-2004 07:38:39 | More by clvand0
stbo101

3.15/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a medium off white head.

S: Grapefruit, hops and malt. Very crisp.

T: Smooth on the front with a medium to heavy bite on the back end. There is also slight grapefruit and floral taste.

M: Surprisingly thin with a punch of what I think is carbonation.

D: It was tough for me to finish the bottle. I am not a huge IPA fan so my review really shouldn't count against this beer, but I thought this particular IPA was nothing out of the ordinary. I would drink it again, but I would not actively seek it out.

01-03-2011 22:59:39 | More by stbo101
USAF77

3.15/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

As with all 3 Floyds I was expecting big things. It had a nice slow pour into a lovely dark gold with a nice 1&1/2" finger head and memorable lacing. This is a beautiful brew to swirl and look at.

It has the worst aroma Ive ever smelled in a Beer. Quite frankly, and for lack of a better term, it smells like dog manure. Im not trying to be contentious but I have to say what I smell. I get no "hoppy citrisness" or anything of the like. I'd bet I'd like the brew better if my nose was stuffed up.

It rebounds with the taste. Very nice. I get the citrus now, and the Hops, and the crispy dryness Its a tad light without a strong after taste but it works. A second pour again shows the thick malty head and lovely lacing, And, the smell isnt quite as bad this time. It goes down very easily for a 9.50% IPA. Its very drinkable.

So its a lovely Ale to pour, swirl, and moon at. Its a very nice drinking Ale with a smoothie complexity, but the smell of it did lessen the experience. Pity.

I'll wait for Zombie Dust first but im starting to think 3 Floyds is going to be a brand I avoid. Nice brews to be sure but worth the money??? I think not.

Serving type: nitro-bottle