Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,742
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros

CharlieTruelove23, Aug 20, 2012

DeadGuyRyan, Nov 01, 2012

JDM44, Oct 21, 2013

Kyrojack, Jun 06, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -52.5%

Thanks to PabstBlue for this bottle.
Gusher upon opening, probably a bad bottle, looking forward to re-reviewing this one when I next get my hands on it.

Opaque burnt orange color with a clumpy off-white head that dissipates quickly leaving a little lace on the glass. Nose is piney hops along with some citrus and yeast. There is a definite sweetness too...not good. Smells like molasses, carmel, brown sugar, and a touch of hot metal. Decent complexity, just not quite right. Taste confirms my suspicions that this might be a bad bottle, very sweet, the bitterness is soft, there is a pronounced astringency. Reminds me of burnt molasses with a bit of metal in the finish, like sucking on a sugary nickel. Too bad about this bottle, I've heard great things about this beer and have been thoroughly impressed with FFF other brews, so I'm sure the next one won't disappoint.

knight84, Jan 12, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -45.7%

10-13-2003

Sorry everybody, but I don't like this beer. I hope I move it down in the rankings (edit: damn I didn't) because it made me mad. Maybe its just an off night or something for me, but this beer really is no good!

I'll admit the nose is quite nice, huge citrus hops cascade and centennial I would venture, with a hint of yeastyness and ethanol there.

The taste is huge, its too huge. Its not interesting, it simply rumbles over your tongue. This beer crosses the line. It seems like an excuse to make a stupidly big beer. DFH 90 min is what I think an IIPA should taste like...big but interesting and doing something other than gouping up my mouth. This beer is cloyingly sweet, extremely sweet. I think a really hoppy beer should be balanced with maltiness, NOT SUGAR. My mouth is now coated with a resinous shalack like syrup GODAMMIT! I hate that. The hops and alcohol (which is really obvious in this disaster of a beer) are giving me bad heartburn and I spilled it on my nice leather chair and it was a sticky fucking mess!

All in all, I say tone it down. I couldn't drink another one of these if I had to.

2-20-2005 UPDATE

Well...I had to give it another shot after my horrible experience last year. It it's on 7$ a bomber here which is cheaper than the 10$ I was told to expect. I just have to say that it wasn't my mood or a bad bottle or anything. I hated the beer this time and had to move the mouthfeel rating DOWN to 2.0. This stuff is like barely liquid cotton candy. Blech. It is so syrupy. I have to say that the american hop flavors are incredible, but far far too much. It tastes like they found out how to artificially synthesize american hop flavors and they poured a gallon of these chemicals into each bottle. Well this is certainly a technical achievement, it makes horrible beer. But do have to praise the lacing. Really impressive.

cerevisiaephilus, Oct 13, 2003
2.42/5  rDev -45.2%

A-Very thin, fine head. Clean amber color. Served in a Snifter glass.

S-Citrus-floral aroma.

T-Sweet at first with a mildly bitter finish, consistent and medium bodied.

M-Someone described the mouth feel as a "golden coat". It has a nice clean feel to it.

D-An easily drinkable "sipping" beer.

Overall I was not impressed, its your average craft-brewed IPA.

Kasia, Mar 09, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -43.9%

A: Pours a clean and clear golden with orange tints. A small head quickly subsides, leaving no lacing.

S: Smells like all kinds of vegetal stuff - grass clippings, pine needles, lettuce, and celery.

T: Tons of hop flavor and bitterness in this all the way through the taste. Very intense vegetal flavors (pine and celery), as well as a touch of orange and citrus. If I were to decide to lick a pine tree one day, I think it would probably taste a little like this.

M: Full-bodied and extremely thick and heavy. Subtle carbonation lets the flavor come out

D: This is the least favorite of the DIPA's that I have tried. The vegetal flavors are too overwhelming, and although I don't consider the taste to be bad, I have a feeling that I'll be sick of it by the time I'm done with the bomber. I'll add this to the list of overhyped and overpriced beers that I've had this week.

(Edit: It turns out I got sick of the taste before I even finished my first pour. Every sip tasted worse, and it seems like it is not a bad bottle. I originally scored taste and drinkability higher, but dumping an $8 bottle of beer is cause for me to rate it lower.)

klewis, Mar 17, 2006

bulldogg915, Mar 05, 2014

DStoked, Jan 22, 2013

shade13, Jul 25, 2012

TheGoof, Jun 14, 2013

tommyguz, May 29, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -41.6%

S: Out of the bottle and in to a pint glass, I bought a bottle of this stuff while I was in chicago, and brought it back and drank it in SF.

A: Nothing fancy here light golden hue, with tiny head that disapeared almost instantly, light carbonation.

S: Hops, wheat (where did that come from?) some sweet malt notes, followed by phenals

T: Smelled, just like it tasted, I expected a huge hop whollop, but I was disapointed right away, it was weak and flat, not what I wanted at all. it had this funky tasted that wasn't right, I think it hadn't survivied the plane ride unfortunatly.

M: smooth, low carbs, slightly acidic.

D: propabably could have been better, I think the plane ride killed it

brewbacca, Sep 01, 2005
2.59/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Apex for Gigantic Beer Week.

A: Clear copper color with bubbles drifting throughout. A thin ring of white head.

N: Dried leaves, pine, damp moss. Biscuit and a hint of pineapple. Not very strong, and not really all that appetizing.

T: Really, really sweet. More of that damp grass. Pretty sweet and then astringent. Where are the hops?

M: Oily and heavy. Lots of alcohol. Needs a lot of work.

O: Really unimpressive. Not wholly undrinkable, but I've given this beer three chances now, and it's been a complete let down every single time. Pass.

Sarlacc83, May 12, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured at a recent BA tasting event. I am about ready to give up on any IIPAs not brewed out west. This pours a copper/orange with a respectable head, but where is the aroma? There is some citrus flavors, mango, and white grapefruit there, but it is faint for a double. Taste is white grapefruit, caramel, mango, and tangerine. It is bitter but not hoppy. Long bitter finish. Disappointing.

squaremile, May 31, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -38.9%

I realize this is actually a decent beer, but I'm going to have to be the dissenting opinion here. Maybe I just don't have a taste for IPA's (and I don't, in general), but to me, this one tasted like burned popcorn. Everything else about the beer is great! But, the taste is off-kilter to what beers should taste like.

hulmanite, May 27, 2004