2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Ratings: 4,248 | Reviews: 1,623 | Show All Ratings:
AleWatcher

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Growler into imperial nonic.
Shared by my bro-in-law (godin64bit) while we did some work around my house.

Light clear gold with a white head. Nice thick rings and globs of lacing.
Smells of caramel malts and some pale dry malts as well. The hop bill is huge and lucious with giant grapefruit and oranges coming through. The flavor adds a little note of pineapple with some resiny pine on the dry bitter finish.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation and a great lingering bitter dryness.

Man I love this beer. FFF is my favorite brewery for many reasons, and dreadnaught is certainly a big plus in their corner.

07-26-2011 03:50:48 | More by AleWatcher
Rampage1

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearence: The color of the beer was between a deep golden and a burnt orange color which is beautiful- slight haze that dissipates as the beer warms.

Smell: The smell was completely wonderful- nice smooth hop smell with ropes of citrus running through the air. The mouth feel was perfect with just the right amount of carbonation.

Taste: The taste was mostly hopalicious with a mellow malt flavor that perfectly balanced it out- i only detected a slight alcohol flavor that was perfectly covered.

Mouthfeel:This has a nice amount of carbonation that adds a creamy feel to it.

Overall: As far as drinkability goes i was reaching for the next bottle not long after drinking the first sip. This is one smooth, perfectly balanced Imperial IPA's that i am glad to have a supply of. I will be a buyer of this for the rest of my life!

05-17-2011 19:44:20 | More by Rampage1
generalnotsew

Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

My second growler ever and my first growler review. I took a whiff straight from the growler at first and it felt like I was bitch slapped with sharp, bitter, tangy hops. I really flinched at it. Anyways pour is a massive erupting foamy off white head. Took me a few minutes to nearly fill my Duvel tulip. Body is a rich amber between sunny orange. Smell is a bit more subdued in the glass lol. Smells of sweet, spicy, grassy, pineapple and tangerine hops. One of the sweeter more citrusy IPA's I have smelled with a earthy/grassy twist.

The grassy bitter hops is quite sharp upon the first drink and heavily bitter in the aftertaste but not in a bad way. Sweet pineapple/grapefruit with a sugary twist make a fairly brief and sudden appearance in the middle. I know IPA"s are supposed to be a bit aggressive on carbonation but this may be just, just a tad too much and there is a noticeable alcohol burn but pretty subdued for the gravity. Someone once compared it to angel tears but I think it is what Chuck Norris tears would taste like if he cried.

03-19-2011 03:08:34 | More by generalnotsew
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

This is my second review of Dreadnaught, easily a desert Island beer for me, and possibly the beer I would drink last before I die (though Vanilla Bean Dark Lord probably would be it if available). Certainly it is my favorite beer that is easily available year round. I was INCREDIBLY fortunate enough to be given a growler of Dread that was tapped the day before from my beer guy in DC. I feel it is my duty to tell the beer world that you must try Dreadnaught on tap (fresh) or from a fresh growler to really appreciate this amazing beer.

The beer pours great with sticky lacing and a perfect orange hue characteristic on DIPA's, with a nice white head.

The smell might almost be the best part. Huge aroma of grapefruit, tropical fruit hops, notes of pine hops, candied malt, tangerine, and more waft effortlessly from the glass in such an open and dank way. Just so much hops in there but all of it with a beautiful fruit tinge and with some sweet malt to back it up.

The taste follows the flavor almost exactly, which I'm finding as I review more beers is becoming more rare. This beer does not disappoint and opens up a completely balanced flavor with absolutely no flaws or flavors that completely dominate. All the notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit, dank pine hops, sweeter bready malts, bitters and sweetness, and more all get along very well. Hops up front, malt and fruit in the middle, and a bittersweet end that lingers a long time.

Mouthfeel is great, it's so smooth and awesome. The creaminess is there with just enough carbonation. This is so great. Drinkability? I could drink this all day because the alcohol is hardly detectable at all, its completely sugar coated and pleasant, no burn is here AT ALL.

I had this growler next to a bottles of the best bottles Hop beers available right now (including two seasonals from great beer companies, two really great beers) and there was no contest. Granted, from a growler will always be better than a bottle for me, but still the Dreadnaught is just such a well crafted beer. What can I say, my handle even pays homage to this beer!

01-13-2011 18:30:14 | More by Dreadnaught33
wyattshotmaker

4.2/5  rDev -5%

poured into a dfh signature glass. nice head with good lacing. smell is great,probably one of the better smelling dipa's. peaches,mango,pineapple. a bit of sweetness comes through.

nice smooth bitterness, big mango flavor, pineapple. sweetness comes through to balance at the end. lingering peach flavor in the finish. i'd be damned if there aren't simcoe hops in this beer.

the mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth. very full bodied. completely coats your tongue.

overall this is a pretty drinkable double ipa.

05-30-2010 02:50:01 | More by wyattshotmaker
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Poured a deep, rather thick orangish brown with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is big with pineapple, caramel, biscuity malt, floral.

T: Taste is GREAT. After having this back to back with PtY I can say I liked Dreadnaught better. Fresh fruits, pineapple, tropical, some floral notes, caramel.

M: More malts, better balance, chewy, big hops, pine, pineapple on the taste, tasty indeed, was not a full out palate killer.

D: Extremely drinkable and smooth. Wow. I loved this stuff! Only the second perfect score so far.

02-14-2010 15:40:30 | More by barleywinefiend
beerman207

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: 2 fingers head that is white and fluffy - hangs around forever an leaves some lacing along side the glass. Appearance is like dark apple juice. Very easy to see through this brew.

S: Wow. Smell of floral and citrus hops just burst out of this beer. I detect a small amount of malt in the backend.

T: Like a punch in the mouth at first then giving way to a nice sweetness - wait more bitter coming in at the finish. My palate actually numbs out for a second while the bitter just resonates on my tongue. Wow, this is a serious IPA.

M: Creamier than any IPA I've had recently. Goes down very smooth.

D: This is 9.5% ABV? I'm in trouble tonight with half a growler of this stuff. It looks like they overfilled so I probably have 3 12 oz beers left. Just really easy to drink and no alcohol detectable.

To say I love Three Floyds is probably an understatement. I haven't found a beer from them I didn't enjoy and this is certainly in my top 3 from FFF.

01-23-2010 02:06:15 | More by beerman207
DeFaz

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Spinoza's in Beavercreek, Ohio. The appearance is unremarkable, but with a solid head and fairly sticky lacing. The smell is tropical fruit--not as pronounced and appealing as, say, White Rajah, but still quite good. The taste consists of mango, orange, and lemon flavors, and the bitterness from the hops just isn't here--imagine, a DIPA without bitterness--instead is sweetness from the citrus hops. The mouthfeel is unusual, but not bad at all--this beer is on the thin side (it could pass for a session beer if not for the high ABV) and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a DIPA well worth trying.

04-14-2014 22:11:43 | More by DeFaz
ICMTM

4.79/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! There is a serious complexity to this beer. While it has the hop forward properties of any other DIPA's its smooth, and without a lingering bitter finish. There is a bitterness to it, but there is a malt complexity that changes the finish to make it smooth with a hint of sweetness. This beverage got better with every sip.

04-14-2014 21:03:18 | More by ICMTM
pkalix

4.76/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

absolutely spoiled this weekend. another new brew to try. what is 'dreadnaught'? wasn't that an evil villain in Super Mario Galaxy??
hazy honey gold. creamy head. smelled fruity and malty upon opening but that has passed and now there is barely an aroma(?).
taste is pure nectar. literally. some honey upon first taste, mellow and smooth hop bitterness with a washing back of bread malt... dang this is super easy to drink. 99 IBUs, but smooth. does that agree logically? a slight twang on the finish, but geez, at 9.5%, how much better can a brew be?
again, the comparison of west coast vs east coast. or Midwest.... this stuff is GOOD!!! eh, my parents both were born in Philadelphia so maybe my genetics are predominantly east coast IPA??

04-06-2014 20:51:37 | More by pkalix
RaulMondesi

3.98/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Right as you pour this bad boy into the Deschutes imperial pint, it glows a gorgeous, yet enigmatic golden orange hue like Mike Hammer opening a mysterious box in "Kiss Me Deadly."

Now, the flavors aren't as wild and unpredictable as said "B" masterpiece, but they are there. There is enough juice that Snoop Dogg could throw a block party, and it is met by a strong malt backbone like Jack Johnson going 28 rounds.

In the end, it's good, but this player (in his humble opinion) doesn't find it anywhere near spectacular.

Have a good one my children.

04-06-2014 01:22:04 | More by RaulMondesi
themind

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Legendary...period! this brew stands with the top dogs in a crowded field. This brew is crisp with a pine and citrus aroma. The mouthfeel is perfect, they nailed it! the taste is flat out amazing! I would seek this out, store this and absolutely buy this again. Bravo Three Floyds, bravo!

Bottom Line: Pow! a legend just smacked you in the face!

04-05-2014 00:31:44 | More by themind
VelvetExtract

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Ah, Dreadnaught! One of my first, seemingly unattainable beer desires. It's pours a copper color. My gentle pour yields a creamy, off-white head that isn't very tall. Consistent lacing rings.

S-A comparatively 'old school' hop bomb. Dreadnaught is bloated with the good ol' pine and grapefruit tag team. Caramel maltiness helps to balance the nose in some minimal manner.

T-Bitter, biting grapefruit flesh and candied oranges. Freshly grown grass and resinous pine. Straightforward but delectable. A bit of peach and apricot. Caramel malt is more well endowed than I thought it would be.

M-Fuller side of medium bodied. Very bitter. Alcohol hidden well. Aftertaste lingers. Bubbly.

O-One of the titans of the style. Possesses a ton of great flavors and aromas. I prefer my DIPAs to have a bit different flavor profile but I still enjoyed this brute. I can see people literally shitting themselves in shock and awe after their first sip when this beer initially was released.

04-03-2014 00:41:32 | More by VelvetExtract
PSU_Mike

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into an IPA glass

A - HUGE white head, crystal clear, low carbonation, nice lacing, a dark straw pour, really pretty beer.

S - Grapefruit, orange, mango, a little hint of dankness, and very subtle malt backbone. I smelled this for a solid 2-3 minutes before I put it to my lips. Fantastic smelling beer.

T - Just a little muted compared to the nose. It tastes great but based on the smell, I was hoping for more of a hop explosion. Follows the nose very closely.

M - Super clean finish. Very mildly bitter. No alcohol presence.

O - I love this beer. I could easily poured a few bombers of these and forget how potent it is.

04-02-2014 02:27:35 | More by PSU_Mike
N_Schleret

4.39/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a copper color with a one finger head and good retention, blotchy lacing.
S: Hops! Grapefruit, pine, and sweet malts.
T: Bitter hops. Again, grapefruit, pine, and sweet malts.
M: Dry and bitter. Medium body with medium carbonation.
O: A very tasty DIPA. I would buy again when I see it on the shelf.

03-23-2014 19:55:23 | More by N_Schleret
ebones

4.66/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This defines the style, or what the style could be. Light bubbles. Upfront pineapple and mango pine florals balanced with caramelized citrus and butterscotch. Larger body than expected. Creamy and chewy. First rate. Almost a perfect 5, but maybe I haven't had a fiver yet?

03-15-2014 23:43:17 | More by ebones
Rizalini

Nevada

4.04/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes tulip, no bottle date...

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color, with a finger of tan head.

S - The smell is malty/honey, with with some notes of tropical fruit.

T/M - The taste is a pleasant combination of a solid malt backbone, and some mango & pineapple.The bitterness hangs around on my tongue for a while. Mouthfeel is medium, good carbonation.

O - Such a solid IPA! Hits all the right notes with me, and I would always have this is my fridge if I could get it here in Vegas. But I can't, so I'm gonna go and enjoy the hell outta this one. Cheers!

03-14-2014 02:32:47 | More by Rizalini
Wolberjs

4.49/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful clear dark amber beer that pours with a 1 and a half finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Almost as pretty as Pliny the Elder but lacking the continual bubbly carbonation.

S - Starts off with some tropical fruit and finishes with some nice piney hop resin smell, balanced smell. Definitely get Mango and peach.

T - Taste follows the smell, still mostly getting mango. Finishes with a perfect amount of hoppy bitterness. Really balanced just like the smell.

M - Not a remarkable mouthfeel, alcohol thin and biting. Not smooth or tingly. Check that, that's how it started out, but it smoothed out a little and the alcohol dissipated as it warmed up from the fridge.

O - Very very good DIPA. Much better than permanent funeral in my opinion. Best attribute of the beer is the balance. Has very well integrated tropical fruits, piney hoppiness, and bitterness.

03-06-2014 07:59:34 | More by Wolberjs
drdiesel9483

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

A - I poured this into a tulip and it had slight head that lasted about a minute. The color is dark orange kind of brown color. You cannot see through it at all.
S - you can smell the hops but you can also smell a caramel like smell and some type of citrus fruit of some sort.
T -hoppy bitter taste with pine and some grapefruit.
M - slight carbonation, thick but goes down smooth.
O - fantastic beer! I've had most imperial IPAs by 3 Floyd's ands it's one of there best 3.

02-21-2014 21:17:36 | More by drdiesel9483
jjdc

District of Columbia

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was nice to drink this after recently having Permanent Funeral. These are totally different DIPAs. PF is is a huge and hop forward, while Dread has a much stiffer malt backbone and is built on integrating and balancing the bitter and the sweet. Both styles have their merits, but I'd prob give the nod to the sticky, tropical flavors of PF. Make no mistake, this is an expertly crafted brew.

02-17-2014 03:58:34 | More by jjdc
mlhyatt

Georgia

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A- golden amber when held directly to the light but it has a redish hue when not looked directly through the light. The head is about a half inch and dissipates quickly into a thin lace.

S- sugary malt, pine, and grapefruit. There's an unknown smell I can't put my finger on it but its not something i usually smell in an IPA. Its good though. Not skunky.

T- bitter up front with a blast of pine and grapefruit while in the mouth followed by a sweet malt that reminds me of a stout. Very interesting but very satisfying. The pine remains on the back of the tongue for a while.

M- slightly carbonated but nothing unpleasant. The bitterness on the back of the tongue hangs out for a while that i wish didn't.

O- this was an exceptional IPA. Very well balanced between malt and hops without losing the benefits and characteristics of either.

02-12-2014 04:07:21 | More by mlhyatt
LANDRY

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber picked up several days ago

A very clear dark gold remarkable color

S fresh cut grass(yeah that kind) pine, sweet mango

T very slow rolling hop bite, you get very strong malty notes at first sip then a wave of hops and bitter melon and mango and a residual dryness that demands the second sip and third and....

M medium carbonation, creamy, light chewyness

O Righteous brew from a stellar brewer I swear Im not a shill for 3F im just a very big fan they are few things they dont do well on of them is distrubution but that can be said about 99%of the beers reviewed here, Cheers!

01-27-2014 05:05:10 | More by LANDRY

Taste 40/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 95/100

Three Floyds Dreadnaught is an American Imperial #IPA with a 9.5 ABV~ She pours hazy, but brilliant in color, an opaque honey yellow, a color I quite never seen before~ LOADS of tiny bubbles~ Little to no head, yet moderate lacing~ Feel is light to medium, yet remarkably satisfy and surprisingly rich~ Nose is extreme Honey and Pine off the rip, Carmel and Malt linger in the back round, also all your other typical IPA Citrus/Earthy scents~ Taste is just like #heaven, Grapefruit, Honey, Mango, Biscut, Pineapple, Cream, Tangerine, Malt, Peach, Pine, Papaya, Bread and Orange~ Such a sharp, crisp, clean, well balanced, yet intense brew~ No one flavor over bares, its all delivered with a nice creamy balance What should also be mentioned is how much of a 'Malt' presence stands out in what typically is a 'Hop' forward style, awesome surprise by #3F~ 9.5 would never be guessed, as there is virtually zero burn on the back end~ Honestly, if I drowned in Dreadnaught... I would die an extremely happy man~

01-18-2014 05:32:50 | More by BrewUSA
Treyliff

West Virginia

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip

A- Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a huge foamy and bubble white head that retains for a while, eventually settling to a floating layer, leaving behind patches of lace around the entire glass

S- Tropical fruit hop explosion with aromas of mango, pineapple, guava, peach and grapefruit peel. Tropical hops are complimented by a sweet, slightly doughy malt aroma, a touch a peppery spice and fresh grass on the finish

T- Biting hop bitterness highlighted by flavors of grapefruit juice, pineapple, peach and grass. The malty backbone compliments the hop bitterness flawlessly, its slightly sweet and clean. The finish is dry with more citrus/tropical hop flavors continuing to the end

M- Medium body and carbonation, slightly foamy mouthfeel with a smooth and crisp finish. Drinkability is about as good as it gets for a DIPA, ABV is hidden brilliiantly

O- Loaded with tropical hop flavor, yet one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had. This is a great beer that I would gladly buy again if given the chance

01-18-2014 02:57:06 | More by Treyliff
SteelSaw

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a Bomber bottle into a Tulip glass.

Pour- Pours a hazy golden orange color. Soapy white one finger head on a moderate pour.

Smell- Wow. Three Floyds description is spot on. Right up front I am hit with the smell of mango. Peaches follow slightly afterwords, not as forward. Hops and perhaps some hints of white grape?

Taste- Basically follows the nose, mongo up front on the taste and then peaches and hop and then a piney bitterness on the back of the taste which dissapates rather quickly. Very tropical and refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Light and fresh, carbonation is spot on in my opinon.

Overall- This beer blew me away, very tropical and tasty, nice and refreshing. I imagine this being quite nice on a hot summer day.

01-14-2014 03:47:52 | More by SteelSaw