Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,894
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,663 | Hads: 5,553
4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The bottle was purchased last fall.
Poured dark copper/amber, hazy, some small particles in suspension. Nice,foamy head.
Big hop aroma and plenty 'o malt too. Pine needles and oranges,actually reminded me of a pine tree bough.
Massive hop attack on the pallet, with malt backbone. A mild astringency in the malt. Huge hop character and alcohol.
Lots of fruit, pine resin,citrus zest, caramel and a light quanine aftertaste. Strong bitterness lingers between sips, as well as the sticky, juicy nectar of the hop. A real treat.

Edit 3/23/06:
A fresh example reveals a juicier, hoppier character.
Smooth bitterness accents large hop oil flavors, and the quanine aftertaste is missing.
The fresher, the better. (717 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer is a hazy, orange-amber with dark flakes on final pour. A medium-sized, dense, cream-colored head leaves sticky, foam lacing. Hoppy, sweet, creamy nose with a hint of milk chocolate. Wow. Super bitter in the front with some sweetish cream. The middle turns almost chocolatey. It's creamy sweet with a touch of sour milk (not a bad thing here). Very bitter again in the finish. Some crackers and lots of alcohol. Amazingly intense flavor. A slightly odd background effect might be due to the alcohol. It certainly tames with temperature. Bottom line: an outstanding, bitter, creamy, sweet, intense beer. Hoohah!

Thanks to Dantes! (641 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

This is a very good best bitter accompanied by some hops. Spruce, a lot of grapefuit, some citrus in a malt base. Orange colour, somewhat cloudy.
I did not get the barrage of hop wallop, it was smooth. Though bitter bitter hops. Could it be have been held too cool at the supermarket? I stored it for 3 weeks in the cellar. Its as if I am given a different beer than others. (375 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

Dreadnaught pours very clear with a small head subsiding to a ring of foam with a little galaxy of whiteness in the center that continues to be refreshed by a stream of bubbles emanating from the center of the bottom of the chalice as I continue to extend this run on sentence to embarrassing length.

Big 3 Floyds hop smell.

The taste is what I'd hoped for. The hops introduce me to the beer. They're so unavoidable as I begin to drink. Then the thickness of the liquid coats my tongue and the sweetness of the malt begins. It's an "all at the same time" beer. Bitterness kicks in almost after the fact.The alcohol presence blends with everything else. ( I may have been drinking big beers too much - not possible- to notice) I'll be drinking this again. I will judge the drinkability after a few but for now it's very drinkable. It's an all by itself beer. No pairing comes to mind. (891 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours clear, dark orange leaving a decent white head. Piney, resinous, citric hops assault your senses as the beer fills the glass. Lots of malt accompany the loads of hops. Starts and finishes with hops, hops and more hops. With all that is going on in this beer it is extremely drinkable even at 9.5% alc. (307 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -7%

Clear dark gold/orange body with a white film. Possibly the best hop aroma I've smelled. They are there, all over the place, the big juicy grapefruity hops, but they're more than that, they're a perfume, they're the pine cardboard you put on the mirror in your car, they're the orange you ate this morning, they're the lemon juice you've put over your salmon yesterday, they're your freshly cut grass on a sunny june day. Hops, all over the place and then some, and a bit of alcohol and some heavy malt. Quite complex adventure. The first sip then adds some, grass, grapefruity, but more than that. There's a mineral saltiness in there, alcohol peaks and thick malt layers, honeyish chewy malt. Texture is smooth, creamy, very thick. Definitely my favorite I2PA and it may even convince me to seek a few others out, but I'm still far from sold to the green side, the hophead clan. Worth another tribute to Raindog for providing me with this modern classic. (956 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +13%

The beer pours a brilliant orange, almost OSHA safety-like in it's vibrancy. A bit of a chill haze intensifies the glow, with a thick, almost white, well beaded froth settled atop. The head lasts throughout, diminishing into a thick collar surrounding splotchy mist. Plenty of lace clings to the glass, leaving a broken, even, filmy covering. My only complaint at all is the lack of a tight film throughout. With this much hops, I expected incredible head retention.
The aroma rises from the bottle upon uncapping, an almost tangible plume of hop laden fog escapes it's glassy confines. If I had a horse's feed bag filled with freshly picked hops, still wet from the pacific northwestern rain, strapped to my face I don't think it would smell fresher. Hugely earthy, floral, piney, herbal and citric all at once. I can't pick out anything specific, but I'm guessing some new high alpha triploid varieties. The hops undoubtedly dominate, with just enough malt adding an undercurrent of toasty, syrupy sweetness. A touch of biscuit, with restrained esters hinting towards peach and white grape. Stunning.
The flavor start with an almost immediate bitterness. A huge, syrupy malt backbone struggles to support the oily, slick hops that rush in with slavering jaws, bent on defiling your tastebuds. As the palate acclimates itself to the bittering, the malt acquires a creamy, almost buttery texture. This stuff in insanely smooth, the alcohol completely hidden. The hops try vainly to assume some modesty up front, allowing toasty malt and a touch of bready yeast to attempt some diplomacy with your tastebuds. Notes of peach, pear and white grape esters are offered, but a wanton, instinctive urge to conquer wins out. The hops assume full command of the finish, with plenty of shock and awe in the oily, rindy citric bitterness. Herbal, pine and floral hop flavor add a lovely complexity that makes the finish a triumph of the american love for more, more, more. I can't get over how great the hopping is. As powerful as it seems, the malt manages to keep it reasonably in check, impeccably balanced. The aftertaste is all hops, mainly herbal and floral flavors, with a hop bitterness that sticks to the tongue for hours. The only indication of the alcohol is a faint boozey fusel feel when exhaling. Full bodied, with a creamy, buttery feel and firm, delicate carbonation.
I enjoy big beers on an irregular basis, and I believe this is the first that I could easily keep a case on hand for daily consumption. It's so incredibly satisfying and delicious, almost sessionable in it's ease of quaffing. I found myself restraining from gulping down the hoppy goodness. Ye gods, this is a seductively dangerous nectar.
A beer the pacific northwest was created for. A creature both menacing and consoling.
Thanks to Mikeys01 and Oldcrustacean for bringing me a bottle! I owe you guys BIG time for this treat. (2,906 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -16.6%

I am drinking this brew at room temp in a snifter. Big Thanks to Jables and BIF 6 for letting me experience this brew. The beer pours a clear copper color with an offwhite fluffy head foaming up pretty easily. The head fades to a surface layer rather quickly. Aroma is all hops, I get a mixture of rich resiny pine scents with some pungent sour grapefruit hits as well.
First sip reveals a thinner body than expected and slightly oily texture. Low smooth carbonation. The flavor is all hops moves from piney notes to sour citrus notes that leave a bitter flavor on my lips. the overall flavor leaves a bitter impression in my mouth and I also get a slight alcohol warming in my throat and belly. A decent beer, but not worth the hype in my opinon. (749 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

22 oz bomber bottle. Purchased September '03 at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati,OH. Consumed April 8, 2004.
Shiny dark copper color. Beautiful creamy biege head. Lots of hop generated bubbles. Visually Impressive. Perfect looking beer in the glass. Striking hop aromas at arms length. Sharp snappy cascade hop presence. Taste is snappy and dominated by grapefruit juice, bitter spruce tips like taste and full on hop snap balanced on a toasty biscuit malt backbone. Great flavors, balanced and everything you would expect in a great IPA. Balanced. Medium bodied, rich flavors, biting hop teeth. Puckering on the lips, and asks to be sampled and savored, yet perfectly refreshing. (675 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to fellow BA Qarre for this bottle!! Using a nice clean pint glass, I poured myself a lovely beer. Hazy medium amber with a huge frothy head, that died down quickly, but still left a layer on top which left little bit of lacing throughout my glass. Smell is surprisingly rich and creamy, of candied hop pinecones. Taste is also rich and creamy...alcohol is not really detected via taste or aroma, but I can't ignore that warm alcohol feeling in my tummy :-) Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium, very smooth. I know the malt is in there someplace, but the hops are very smooth, and come across as grapefruit and sugar. That flavor lingers, but surprisingly the bitterness is kept to a minimum. I couldn't give it a five for drinkability, as I only had the one bottle. I would love to try this on tap, and then to see how many I could drink...Definitely a very tasty beer. (881 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a somewhat cloudy, yellow amber witha foamy white head and nice lacing.

Smells hoppy, hoppy, hoppy: three rows deep in the hop section at the brew store. Pine and pepper.

Taste is ... wow-ow-ow, BIG. Hop head's dream. Flowery, peppery, biting hops, exhillarating. How in the world do they do that? It's not bitter, but it's over-the-top hopped.

Medium bodied, slightly oily mouthfeel.

It's easy to drink, probably would sneak up on you, and would be great with a large variety of food. Too damn bad it's $9 a bottle. (535 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

After much searching for a trading partner to get this elusive brew, we finally meet. Thank you AragornUnplugged. The beer leaves the 22 oz. brown bomber (with a really funky label I might add) and finds itself in my imperial pint glass. The appearance is clear orange amber color with a nice white head, both pretty standard for a good IPA. The head leaves a lot quicker than a single IPA which is likely due to the high strength of the brew. Carbonation is also low and is gone rather quickly. The aroma is surprisingly mild for an imperial IPA. It is clearly hoppy, but the aroma does not hit you across the room like a Ruination or a Celebration. There are strong notes of alcohol and caramel malts on the nose as well. The taste is quite sweet with a strong peppery kick due to the hops. Smooth silky mouthfeel with a syrupy thick consistency. Strong alcohol burn detracts somewhat from drinkability. Overall I think this brew is very close to being on the fence to being a barley wine, not that there is anything wrong with that. I will try to eventually get some more to cellar to see if it ages well like a real barley wine. Too bad, it will take a quite a while to get some more in. (1,191 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5%

I was very pleased to find this in the local wine-with-some-beer store, but the price was a bit much, so I split one with Budsboy on for a Sunday afternoon tasting.

Very nice to look at, golden, with a good foamy head and lace like curtains. Pretty well carbonated, with tiny bubbles racing eachother up the glass.

Hoppity hop hoppy when you put it to the nose, and flowery too.

Citrus and flowery with some serious hop, followed by more hops with a hoppy aftertaste.

Sticky in the mouth, which adds to the pucker factor with brings down the drinkability somewhat. Kind of over the top, but good. I wonder if giving one a few months to simmer would bring the beer a little more balance and make it a bit smoother to drink. (734 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%

Largely clear, coppery-bronze in hue, the white head reached about a finger in height before dissipating to soapy foam. The subsequent lacing was very minimal. Honestly it looks like a typical IPA. Then I took a sniff. It’s not normal! A violent assault of hops assails my nose, grapefruit rinds, grapefruit flesh, a forest of pine trees and a wild flower potpourri. The potent aromas are big, bold, and juicy. It is oh so inviting, my mouth is watering. Let me start the description of the taste this way, after about two sips I had hop burps. Sometimes when I quaff a Double IPA the gross trusting of hops down the gullet gets tiresome and sometimes I really yearn for a little balance. But Three Floyds has proven an IPA can be produced that is massively hoppy and unforgiving in its lack of balanced. Yet it is graceful and soothing but it also manages to be threatening as well. I am impressed. The hops are so juicy, so oily, so fleshy, so bitter, and so tasty! The hops stick to my lips. The malt influences are minimal and damn near pointless in mentioning, maybe, I mean maybe I could detect a trace of malty sweetness in the form of caramel. At this point I don’t care, the hops have captured my attention, I am hooked. The alcohol provides some noticeable warmth. I could jibber-jabber about how great this tastes all night long, so I’ll move on. Medium-full in body, very syrupy, the carbonation is very modest but it seems appropriate for the hugeness of this beer. If drinkability is a question of do I want another? The answer is an overwhelming “YES!!” This IS the best tasting IPA I have ever had. It is great; it is wonderful… it is near perfect on the tongue. Thank you so much PhantomVodoo! (1,716 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

The coppery color was slightly hazy I didn’t notice the yeast in the bottle nor did I worry about upsetting the conditioning. The head was nothing exceptional but the nose was happy when it went for the first whiff. The hops didn’t move me but the malt did. The taste was an even better experience. The malt was still noted but the hops balanced it very well. The citrus notes peaked my interest in this beer…Hmmm, don’t I have relatives in Ind. That can ship me some of the stuff. This is a VERY drinkable brew! (516 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Dreadnaught! Great name outstanding beer. This is probably the best IPA I've ever had. Pours a cloudy mixture of amber and orange. The nose to this beast is unlike anything I've smelled to date. Citrus and hops grab you by the nose hairs and never let go. The first sip is like a thousand little hops jumping up and down on the tongue in a dance to please the beer gods. Oily slick as the dance is finished with a slight malt after taste. Finishing this is down right depressing because the flavor never disappoints and always leaves the mouth wanting more. (557 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Dreadnaught. What a fantastic name! Pours a pretty, cloudy orange-brown color with a bubbly white head that continues to leave plenty of lace on my glass as I drink. The scent is unbelieveable - pure hops is what comes to mind. I know that makes no sense, but this is hops in all its hop glory. Even before tasting, I wonder if I'm going to dream about this beer.

The taste? Wow. It's like wave upon wave upon wave of hops - each slightly different. There are citrusey, piney, bitter, dry and maybe even other all slightly different yet still wonderful hop flavors. I don't know if this beer was brewed up with any malt/grain, for all I taste is hops. Maybe this is hop oil? Hop extract? Hop juice? Hop puree? In any case, the beer is incredibly oily, rich and thick.

Hoppy beers are supposed to make you hungry, and about 1/3 of the way thru this I had an incredibly strong desire for spicy wings (that I did not get). The only (possible) downside with Dreadnaught is ... its hoppyness. It's certainly only a sipping beer for beer, though of course this isn't necessarily a bad thing. You don't taste the alcohol - all you get is hop heaven. (1,148 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

It is a hazy orange color. The aroma screams of hops with citrus/grapefruit notes, though there is a detection of some maltiness (caramel?). The mouthfeel is really nice. There is so much bitterness, but the maltiness rounds out the beer extremely well. It is sweet with tastes of tangerines. The finish is an herbal, citrus bitterness. This is a fantastic beer that any hophead will enjoy. (390 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow, how many accolades can one lay upon this beer? After reading many of the reviews on BA i was a bit intimidated when opening my first bottle of dreadnaught. As I poured it into my glass my intimidation grew. The monsterous smell of hops nearly filled my college apartment's kitchen. As I held the beer up to a light it left a beautiful clear amber/golden hue. I put this beer up to my mouth expecting a bitterness not to be described put i was pleasantly surprised. I will not lie, this is a hop monster but it is also incredibly balanced. A nice malt backbone supported the hops wonderfully. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth but leaves a bit a oily hop resin on the tongue. This is one of my favorite beers. Hopefully sometime Nick Floyd will see fit to lower prices on this bad boy. A definate must try. (810 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%

Hazy, rich orange-amber; more the former than the latter. The head is dark cream to very light tan, is large to start, eventually falls to a thin disk and leaves a decent amount of lace in fat rings and sheets.

Sweet Mother of Hops, this big DIPA smells incredible! It has one of the most intoxicating noses that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff. Needless to say, American hops are front, back, center, top and bottom. The beer smells floral, grapefruity, lemony and piney.

The flavor mirrors the aroma, which is a very good thing indeed. A tidal wave of resinous hops hits the palate with force and is sustained for the life of the mouthful... and beyond. The bittering is definitely there, but Dreadnaught (as is the case with all hoptastic beer) is more about hop flavor than about bitterness per se. Hopheads should do whatever it takes to acquire as much of this stuff as possible.

The body/mouthfeel is simply amazing. This is the thickest, heaviest, chewiest non-stout that has ever entered my mouth. Unfortunately, alcohol isn't as well-hidden as it could be. This would be slightly better beer at about 8.0%. Drinkability takes a small hit since no one will be pounding this bad boy.

Obtaining Dreadnaught was an obsession for me. Finally... finally... I was able to lay my hands on four bombers. I live about 5 hours from the brewery in Munster and am giving serious thought to spending a day resupplying when my stash runs out. The following is a paean to hops that I wrote in anticipation of this review, which is the one that earns me my BA mug.

"Ode to Hops" (with apologies to John Keats)

O leafy shape! bitter attitude! I'll leave
No Stone unturned in quest of beer
That wears its hop-like heart on sleeve,
Tho my Ruination may be near.
Bursting nose of pungent flower, citrus peel,
With bittered brightness like the sun;
We drink and swoon, my God! we feel
The power of the Dreadnaught's guns,
A Wallop to the Heart of Man.
'Hops are beauty, beauty hops-that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know'. (2,036 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy orange with a thin white head.
Smell is hoppy to the nose yet sweet and malty with some fruitiness.
Tastes are well balanced with and explosion of hops but with a citric sweet balance and hint of buttery caramel and alcohol warmth. The hops carry through to the lengthy floral-hoppy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel was good with finer carbonation and silky creaminess.
A bit too rich and high in alcohol to be a drinkable session beer. But hey, that comes with the style.
Overall, this is a well balanced, satisfying brew that will satisfy your craving for hops. (568 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Hazy light orange, big yellow-tinged head with tight lacing and retention. Deep orange peel rind with sweetness, a bit of grapefruit, and a hint of crushed aspirin. A motherload of hops with some cookiedough malt. Flavor is a tidal wave of hop flavors riding on a wind of sweet light caramel malt. Powerful alcohol carries it all across.

Taste is great and hops taste on many different levels. For all of its beauty, I do not really yearn for another. I do not consider myself a hophead, but it was great to have experienced this brew.

Many thanks to cretemixer for this bottle. (584 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%

After finally purchasing one of these beauties I wasn't the least bit dissapointed.
This a orange-amber color with a little lingering head and decent lacing. The smell is very aromatic with strong floral hops that are extremely pleasing to the nose. The taste is nothing short of spectacular. The hops just bombard your tastebuds. There is a sweetness to this brew and a mellow smoothness that finish it off. There is a silky charachter to this beer that works well with the hops and soothes your throat. The aftertaste is a delightful flavor of hops that lingers until you give in and take another sip.
I was blown away with this beer and never would guess that it has a high alcohol content. This is a must try for any hophead. (733 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

After reading many of the reviews for this beer I was so excited that I would actually get to dry it. (thanks to weefisheads for the beer tasting)

Appearance is a nice ambery pale color perfect for an IPA. There was a nice thin head that didn't fade.

Smell is wonderfully aromatic. Its has a very hoppy nose but not to the point of being hard to drink from the smell. Great floral tones and a nice malty backing.

The taste big and flavorful. There is a great balance of bitterness, sweetness, and alcohol. Though it is almost 10% ABV I would have never noticed because the malty body covers it up so well. It is slightly fruity and sweet but finishes nice with a good level of bitterness

Overall - One of the best IPAs I have every had and can not wait to get my hands on some more (whenever that is) (812 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

Huge Cascadey nose dry-hopped to infinity cut by a raw hop palette. Fruity and well-balanced with bitterness. It could induce a tear or two, but the perceived sweetness, actually the intense floral and fruit character of the hop, does well to balance the bitterness. Hm . . . late-addition hops balancing early-boil hops.

The latent hop notes just get greener and greener, best described by my boss as "Jerry Garcia's sock drawer." And, as he noted, Avery IPA might be thought of as a mini-Dreadnaught for those looking to avoid the 7 dollar tab.

Dreadnaught is evocative in taste and smell, but never evolving, never classic.

My only complaint is that this brew, for all its might, still manages to wash out. A touch more body would be in order; that said, the maltiness is more than appropriate and the wee bit of residual sugar is just what this beer needed to make it so surprisingly palateable.

Virtually the same beer on-tap and in the bottle. Fresh, lively, immortal.

Relax, relax.
ng (1,011 characters)

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.