Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
4.4

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

Reviews: 1,692 | Ratings: 5,837
3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Holy Moses! Intense! Thanks to trbeer for carting a sample of this bright, orange-amber, gem-like brew back to Michigan for me. Hoppy grapefruit, pine, and corn sugar nose. Peachy orange fruit highlights. Complex in that how-many-aromas-can-you-pluck-out-of-this-hop-combo-? sort of way. Like chewing on a carnation and quickly chasing it with a wild combo of grapefruit, rind, and a pure, leafy hop plant. Truly an epic, full body on this brew. Not something I could drink every day -- a 9.5% brew with tongue-numbing hops and a body so thick it might be a stew? -- but well worth the sample.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Autographed bottle courtesy bennybrew with all due thanks and hosannahs.

Golden and hazy.

Aroma is (underlined) startling! The hops in the aroma are not about bittering. They are a grassy brawn to offset a definite apricot (?!?!) note. And that's just the aroma.

Sharp tang! in the mouthfeel. Flavor has an outstanding range of 1. stinging bitter hop 2. grassy leafy hop 3. juicy fruity hop... all in service of the honey/syrup heavy, solid malt center.

As crazy as the label suggests. "Massive." Uh huh.

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Hazy orange amber color, topped by a thick, creamy head. A perfect looking beer. Sweet floral aromas waft up from a distance, while up close it's a bit more spicy with some distinct citrus. The taste is pretty freaking amazing, with sweetness, floral notes, bitterness, malt, hops, and citrus all intermingled. Each takes a turn at the front of the stage, then slips in to play a supporting role for the next star flavor. Mouthfeel is also very well done, being at once light but yet solid. However, the carbonation expands just a bit too vigorously (a nit-pick, yes). But this beer goes down very well. I said to myself, I thought this was a double IPA? Then I check the ABV. The alcohol is well disguised in this beer. I can feel a bit of warming in the pit of my stomach after a while, but nothing like many beers in this range. This is really a nice brew.

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a fuzzy orange color that was hard to pin down, with a nice thin-foam head, with impressive slick lacing in tendril form.

Smells like heaven. Huge grapefruit scents with brisk but burly accents of pine surrounding it. Has a big sweet malt body that makes the hops so sweet and full, but the big hops give it a perfume-like depth and complexity. Amazing, inviting, and made me dizzy with pleasure over and over again, slowly savoring the 22 oz. bottle.

Taste is an amazing balacing act of big malts and bigger hops. The malts are caramelly, but steadily of an amber sort, and help impart a soft and luxurious mouthfeel. The hops are wonderful grapefruit flavored further perked up and sweetened by the malt, with other hop accents including lemon, lime, and a bitterness that pleasantly pricks my tongue with the highest quality alpha feels and flavor. A confluence of all things large and wonderful that a brewer could put in an IPA, yet still sooo drinkable. Makes me wanna say "good Lord!"

Imperial in strength in size but still an IPA in style, this beer continues to throw me for a loop. Every time I open a bottle my eyes roll back into my head, as I drift into an ethereal world of supreme beer experience.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

I picked up a few bottles of the Dreadnaught at Kahn's in Indianapolis last week while I was on a business trip and sampled the first tonight. I believe I paid $5.50 each for the bottles. The Dread poured into the glass somewhere between polished bronze and light copper color, topped with a light tan head that slowly faded away. Aroma is very grapefruit hoppy, also sweet and a bit alcoholic. Medium to slightly heavy body. Taste is bursting with fresh hop flavor at first, then bittering a bit and tranitioning into a malty sweetness and finishing a bit tart and sharply hoppy again. Definitely some significant alcohol warmth on the way down, a good beer for a cold day but well drinkable any day.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Pours with a deep cream colored head, very sticky and long-lived. Gorgeous deep bronze colored liquid, slightly hazed. Loads of bready maltiness in the nose with floral, herbal hoppiness coming in behind that. The taste is a substantial malty backdrop...doughy and sweet that's shoved aside by assertive, but not overpowering hoppiness, quite bitter without dominating the palate. Subtle alcohol notes are tasted mid-line. Finishes wonderfully between sweet malt and bitter hops, very hearty and flavorful...why isn't this availiable near me???

Thanks to Pabobcat for the bottle!

3.65/5  rDev -17%

Boilermaker hit it on the head with much of his review. This is a BIG beer.

Tons of grapefruit. Tons of hops. Tons of alcohol -- and it tastes boozy, too.

The one thing I might add is that it has the treacly taste of excessive alcohol. Yes, it has tons of hops. But, unlike other great hoppy beers, the hops don't quite mask the thick, syrupy alcohol flavor which lingers like a sweet whiskey.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

05/15/04 Re-review: I had to walk thru an update to Dreadnaught after it won my double IPA blind tasting over the likes of Ruination, 90 Minute, Yulesmith, and Hop Wallop. The biggest thing I picked out this time 'round was the aroma and flavor of oak. Everything about Dreadnaught is huge and it all melds together seemlessly for a simply glorious beer drinking experience. Absolutely first-rate!

First bottle I saw when hitting the beer section at Kahn’s in Indianapolis was a single, last, lonely bomber of Dreadnaught. Now, I’m not a big fan of IPA’s but I threw myself at that bottle like it was a life ring thrown to a drowning man.
Dreadnaught came steaming out of it’s anchorage, a 22oz. bomber, going full steam ahead. Linking up with my pint glass, this dark golden brew waited, sending streams of bubbles up to a solid 1” white head that left a wake of sheet lace on the glass. As I brought the glass to my nose, Dreadnaught fired it’s first salvo, a broadside of grapefruit aroma with hints of caramel malt and alcohol that had me thinking I was getting a glass of alcohol-laced grapefruit juice. As I took one, then two, sips, Dreadnaught opened up with all guns firing – hops, hops, hops!! Shot through by a massive barrage of grapefruit and some pine flavors, I continued to drink as any hints of malty goodness were ruthlessly dispatched by the constant assault of bitter hops and alcohol. The feel was somewhat heavy and a bit raw.
I continued through the first glass and finished off the bottle as my head started getting a bit fuzzy. Dreadnaught had accomplished its mission: set forth and obliterate any and all references to malt. On the whole, Dreadnaught is one top-notch IPA. Drinkability suffers a bit because, as you enjoy the all-guns-firing hops frenzy, the potent alcohol content comes out of nowhere like a torpedo to sink you. Nevertheless, hopheads rejoice! Your nectar is served. Be warned, all others: if you hate grapefruit, give Dreadnaught a wide, wide berth.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber. The color is copper, with a ring of white head. The smell is a nice citrusy hops with a bit of alcohol behind it. The taste is a very nice balance of hops, not overly done, but with a great balance behind it, and a hint of alcohol that doesn't take away from the beer at all. Mouthfeel is slightly heavy. Drinkability, quite good, and could have a few.

A tremendous IPA, without being hop juice. I hope I'll be able to find this one in Western PA in the near future. I'll definitely have this one again!!

4.53/5  rDev +3%

MMM hooops. Pours out a nice orange gold color wiht a creamy white head that leaves some decent lace. The aroma has hops hops and more hops, very citrusy. The taste...a hop lovers dream. The hops hide the alchohol very well, and it does havea certain malty sweetness hiding amongst the hops. I will drink this one again.and again..and again.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

This is not a commonly found beer in Philly so I was excited to find a 22 oz bomber at the Foodery. When I cracked open the bottle, the fragrant aroma wafted up to my nose. It had that classic citric grapefruit smell. It lacks the pungent notes of several other imperial IPAs The aroma is beautiful and can be detected from several feet away.

The pour took a bit of time. There was a rocky had that held up well. The color seemed to be a dark golden hue with a hazy quality. The room was a bit dim so I can't be exact on hue. But the flavor was wonderful. The hops lent a bitterness from start to finish. It was not as heavy as some other imperial IPAs but that made for an enjoyable experience. There were hints of sweetness in the beer too. They didn't scrimp on the malts here. This is a must try beer for hopheads.

2.52/5  rDev -42.7%

10-13-2003

Sorry everybody, but I don't like this beer. I hope I move it down in the rankings (edit: damn I didn't) because it made me mad. Maybe its just an off night or something for me, but this beer really is no good!

I'll admit the nose is quite nice, huge citrus hops cascade and centennial I would venture, with a hint of yeastyness and ethanol there.

The taste is huge, its too huge. Its not interesting, it simply rumbles over your tongue. This beer crosses the line. It seems like an excuse to make a stupidly big beer. DFH 90 min is what I think an IIPA should taste like...big but interesting and doing something other than gouping up my mouth. This beer is cloyingly sweet, extremely sweet. I think a really hoppy beer should be balanced with maltiness, NOT SUGAR. My mouth is now coated with a resinous shalack like syrup GODAMMIT! I hate that. The hops and alcohol (which is really obvious in this disaster of a beer) are giving me bad heartburn and I spilled it on my nice leather chair and it was a sticky fucking mess!

All in all, I say tone it down. I couldn't drink another one of these if I had to.

2-20-2005 UPDATE

Well...I had to give it another shot after my horrible experience last year. It it's on 7$ a bomber here which is cheaper than the 10$ I was told to expect. I just have to say that it wasn't my mood or a bad bottle or anything. I hated the beer this time and had to move the mouthfeel rating DOWN to 2.0. This stuff is like barely liquid cotton candy. Blech. It is so syrupy. I have to say that the american hop flavors are incredible, but far far too much. It tastes like they found out how to artificially synthesize american hop flavors and they poured a gallon of these chemicals into each bottle. Well this is certainly a technical achievement, it makes horrible beer. But do have to praise the lacing. Really impressive.

4.79/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Golden Amber with great clarity. Rocky white head.

Aroma: Sharp, sharp citrusy hops. Citrusy sweetness is evident in the aroma, but it smells more grapefruity and sour than orangey and sweet.

Taste: Wow. Bitterness flows through the tongue. Malt is present, but the hops are making their stand. Piney and citrus are obvious, but citrus wins the mvp award. Sweetness from the malt makes the citrus hops happy. Great mouthfeel, long loving aftertaste.

Notes: Your tongue will not fall asleep drinking this beer. Please drink more and enjoy yourself... One of my new favorites.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, copper color. Thin, beady head dissipates quickly, but sticks to sides of the glass.

Aroma: Hop spiciness hits hard on the nose. Tiny malt sweetness is butied, but detectable.

Taste: Hops are all over the mouth; top to bottom, front to back!! Alcohol is well balanced, and the mild malt gives a sense of balance.

Mouthfeel: Intensley mough-coating and intensley dry throughout the palate.

Drinkability: What a great beer. Intense, yet balanced. Profound, yet subtle, with all the elements coming together nicely. I will definately try this one again.

Thanks to MJR for the bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Orange gold color. Small head. Aroma is grapefruit and citrus. WOW..ZOWIE.. A VERY smooth, full-bodied IPA/American Strong Ale. Great malt/hop balance. Complex flavors are dancing around on my palate, grapefruit, pine, citrus and malts. This beer is more than worthy of all the acclaim it getting. This may be the best IPA I have ever tasted. Hoppy and malty, yet incredibly smooth. WOW. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Finish is very slightly bitter. No noticeable alcohol despite the 9.5%

Let's start out by saying there is no quesiton why this beer is so highly sought after, you'll know from the second you crack the bottle. Appears: a deep copper orange hue with a huge frivilous cream colored long-lived head that has left me with some visually appealing full bars of lacing. Aroma: Now this is the selling point of this beer a succulent layer of piney hops masked by an undertow of earthy floral hops this beer is just as malty as it is hoppy adding to the balance and pure greatness of it. If it makes sense this beer's aroma smells like buttery sweet caramelized whole leaf hops it's hard to picture that but once you smell this you realize why this is the most incredible hop nectar I have ever quaffed. Taste: Equally if not surpassingly more amazing than the aromatics, layers of sugar and hop bitterness blend into one orgy of flavor on the palate the piney, slightly earthy, citrus tones of the hops are met with an equally amazing caramel syrupy sugar quality from the malts used here. Clears out the sinuses with hop bitterness and fulfills your sweet tooth at the same time, now that's what I call a beer. Mouthfeel: The creamy texture sends you directly into complete indulgence mode here with juicy hop resin and a full bodied via the malt profile this beer is here to please not only beer enthusiasts but to turn the macro drinker toward the light. Drinkability: Well, it has to rank up there in one of my most amazing tasting experiences of all time, Three Floyd's has redefined an Imperial IPA for me watchout west coast here comes the midwest. So, good and drinkable if I were to come across this beer on tap somebody call the D.D. or better yet let's flag down a bloody taxi because whoever is with me is going to imbibe and enjoy this revolutionary beer at my side.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled February 2004
Pours a hazy copper-orange color and is topped by a beige head that is middle of the road in thickness & creaminess. Gawd-damn, intense aromas of citrus fruit waft from my glass. Lychee, grapefruit, orange, tropical fruit, hop nectar, a sweetness all are here in the nose of this beer. The aroma is just amazing on this beer, I really don't think that the smell could get much better than this. This beer is quite sweet in taste. The lychee taste from the hops is quite intense & very impressive. If there was such thing as honey made from hop nectar this beer is what that would taste like. This beer does not seem nearly as bitter as the Alpha King from 3-Floyds, though this is probably because this beer has the body & malt backbone to back up the intense onslaught of fresh hop flavor & bitterness.

This beer is certainly a sipping beer, the combination of the hop intensity and the body/ mouth feel of this beer require quite contemplation of each sip. The fruitiness in this beer is what really sets it apart. It is so intensely fruity & tropical that it makes me wonder if the fruitiness is not from the hops alone, and is in fact part of the yeast character. In the end I think that 3-Floyds has just packed this puppy with fruity-citrusy hops until it is ready to burst. This is just confirmation that my first opinion of this beer was just.

Sampled August, 2003
Smells strongly fruity, comes at you with a right hook of lychee and grapefruit aromas. Nice amber gold color (with golden highlights). This beer is a very well balanced attack of American hops that hangs on a modest malt backbone. There is lots of hop flavor in this one, with lots of fruity hoppy notes. The taste is lightly sweet as well with a good amount of body to it. Overall this is a very well put together beer with a wonderful balance.

3.92/5  rDev -10.9%

well....DAMN!!! hope you like getting kicked in the mouth!
hoppy, very hoppy!
appearence.. nice carmel color , head ... substancial.
aroma.. hopps and malt, and plenty of both.
taste / mouthfeel ..ouch!! massive onslaught of hops, mouthfell???whats that? my taste buds are all [email protected] up anyways!
don't drink this beer too cold, if you froze it , it would not suppress the calling of the hop! only by letting it warm would the malt come through to bring a slight balance. the last drink was more enjoyable then the first. truly an electrifying experience from three floyd's, i would love to do it again!

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Hey, do you like getting smacked in the face? How about by a beer?
Ya, you do! Who's your Daddy? Dreadnaught! That's who!
To start off, how anyone can finish an entire bomber of this stuff without being smashed in the face by the massive amount of hops in this beer is beyond human. Ahhh, but it was a pure pleasure to let this beer slap me around for an hour and a half as I nursed the hell out of it.

Color is a chill hazed peachy toned orange with a spongy frothed bone white head thats about an inch high and settles moderately down to a hazey top with some bigger bubbles that never leave the edge and the lace lays across the glass in sheets that diminish into strings and spots.

Aroma is absolutely wonderful, super fresh and floral, I'm talking right off the vine and right in your nostrils and down your throat fresh hop cones here. Big floral presense and a nice mix of pine needles and peachy/pineapple hop resin and acidic hoppyness with a smidge of grapefruit and a super fine toasty caramel malt backing. Alcohol warmth hits slowly as it warms.

Tasting this is like liquidfied hops or something, super amounts of very floral and fresh resinated hops all up in your business. Complexing floral hops taking total control of your senses and making you recognize its presense as you prepare yourself sip after sip for the next wave of citrus. Super full of hops, almost too much, its crazy but absolutely wonderful to behold. The bitterness is quite calming actually, its just a whole lot of fresh; light pine, peach, pineapple, and some grapefruit rinds play along the surface with some juicy factions right away in the front of bringing more of the peach and pineapple, but the largely floral aspect then blooms over the palate and relinquishing it over and over as you surrender to its spellbinding hoppy hold leading through huge fields and tall vines of freshly picked hops eventually leading you back to a quick crispy little hop finish and backing up every sip is a remarkable toasty little caramel malt. Some notes of wood and earth strike the palette in some of the finish as well.

Full mouthfeel throughout, each ambrosial sip and heavenly gulp is packed full of hoppy flavor and body. Slick and creamy. Way too smooth for the evident hop profile brimming with citrus tones. Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly, delightfully, pleasurably, enjoyable to get pushed around by this whale of a beer. Head swimmingly delishious! Another keeper by 3F!

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Now I could be wrong, but I think there might be hops in here. HAs a hazy orange-amber appearance with a thick white head that slowly dissapates into a thin lace. You would never guess that this is 9.5%. Well after you try to stand up you'll probably realize it, but not from the taste. The hop aroma is very piney with grapefruit coming through in the taste. Another beer following the trend that bigger is better. Maybe the hops are a little extreme, but this beer isn't for everyone. It's for the hopheads.

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

Finally found the time to give this a try.. WOW WOW!! what took me so long.
It pours a light umbery orangy colour with a bit of haze from the yeasty bits floating around. Nice rocky foamy head that stuck around. The smell is that great citrusy hoppy aroma in spades. The taste is well ---- its damn near amazing. Nice strong malt and a blast of hops. It is definately not for the timid. The mouth feel is smooth with the residual drying effects of the hops. Drinkability is high-- perhaps too high considering the ABC of this beer.. You can seemingly drink it all night, but if you do .. the morning will be hell.

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

22 oz bomber, courtesy of TinusTime's efforts to aquire this for me at the local farm fresh..cheers, tinustime.

This monster pours a golden orange with a very slight haze, which the bottle describes as a result of bottle conditioning. Huge foamy uneven head..this brew means business. Aroma hits you like a ton of ripe grapefruits. Massive citrous hop aroma, just begging to be sipped. Tons of hop citrous flavors dominate the palate, and my nose is singed with an alcohol bite. Decent malt backbone here as well, balancing things out bit. This beer is bitter, but the massive flavors of grapefruit and orange rind keep things in check. An assault on the senses. What sets this out front is the decent malt backbone and completely resinous mouthfeel. It's thick and slightly sticky, full of hop resins. Drinkabilty is top notch for a beer of this caliber. I could drink this all night (but i'm scared). The best IPA, if not beer, I've had.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured with a very large tan head that lingered for a good while, eventually dissipating to a good lace. Nice orange-amber color. Slight haze at first which cleared as beer warmed. Carbonation rises to the surface from the sides of the glass. The aroma immediately smacked me in the face from a couple feet away. Smells of hops and fruit - orange, pineapple, and fruit cocktail were all noticeable. Lots of hops hit the tongue, yet the taste was quite fruity sweet as well with some spice notes towards the end. Malt is apparent, but I think the sweetness in this beer is more from the hops. Dry finish with a somewhat bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while; the hops continuing to maintain a foothold. There’s a very full, smooth, slick, mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate. Slight alcohol feel, but for the most part the alcohol is very well hidden, although it does become more apparent as the beer warms. Careful though... At 9.5%ABV, if you can’t taste it, you’ll certainly feel it! Great brew, but the high alcohol content does lower the drinkability of this one a bit. This beer was very complex, and seemed to have lots going on. When I finished this brew, I though to myself... If the Belgians brewed an IPA, this is what it would be. I could probably drink a few of these (not in succession though) and find different nuances each time.

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz. bomber stares at me. Taunting me...

Appearance: Deep orange in color with a rocky white head that throws itself against the sides of the glass, splattering a lovely lace all over the glass.

Smell: Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy...Joy, Joy, Joy (obscure "Ren & Stimpy" reference). To duplicate the aroma, do the following: Cut down a pine tree, buy a case each of grapefruit and lemons. Cram everything into a blender. Liquify. Add some medicinal alcohol at the end. Simply amazing aroma from this beer.

Taste: It's a little doughy sweet at first, but Mr. Hoppy introduces himself to you quickly. Grapefruit flavor assaults the palate, which is in turn finally wrestled to the ground by an alcohol-soaked bees' nest of honey. Surprisingly short aftertaste, with a hoppy blast nearing the end followed by a smile-inducing wamring effect of the alcohol....MAN! To have this beer on a cold winter's day after a grueling snowboarding session!

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Any beer that launches hoppy, resin-laden burps after 2 minutes scores big in my book. Low levels of carbonation and an amazingly smooth mouthfeel are a joy to behold. My lips are coated with pine tar! Drinkabilty is dangerous. I had to physically move the beer out of arm's length to avoid draining this in record time. This beer can really kick your ass in a hurry.

This one ranks right up there in my book. Excellent hoppy influence and a great mouthfeel.

An absolutely HUGE thanks to PhantomVoDoo for this!

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

This is one amazingly great brew. Pours a deep ruby/brown color topped off by a moderately thick white head, which left a thin, sticky lace splattered on the sides of my glass. The aroma is definitely not for the faint of heart. A healthy punch of what seems like a thousand types of hops, attacks the olfactory senses, leaving them begging for mercy. Slight aromas of smoke, fruit and alcohol are also detected. The bold taste of hops will beat you down like a pimp beating his ho. There is a nice sweet and charred oak flavor left on the palate on the finish. This is one vastly complex brew, how can they fit so much hop flavor into one bottle…I guess we’ll never know.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.