Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,811
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked this up at Three Floyds. They did not have what I was looking for but on their suggestion I got two 22oz bottles.

Poured a nice 2 finger thick and foamy head with good lacing that had great staying power to the end. Very inviting. Color was golden orange and clear on first pour but on 2nd pour got hazy from sediment. I wasn't expecting that but did not seem to effect taste.

Smell of fresh citrus and herbs. Clove at first but then I picked up mango. Nice aroma to the end. Surprised at how strong it lasted.

Tasted pine, dried orange peel. Then picked up the mango and maybe peach. It's not heavy on hops up front or on the linger. Not overpowering, nice for me because I am not a hophead.

Mouthfeel is clean and fresh. Dry finish that doesn't linger bitter. Not a lot a carbonation, smooth and gentle.

Overall I would go back to this but I would not seek it out for myself again. Nice change of pace for me. I am glad I took 3Floyds advice. It is one I would send to a hop lover.

3.25/5  rDev -26.3%

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm struck by the the awesomeness of a Top 10 IPA; nervous, trepidatious, anxious all at once, but this presented itself quite calmly. Average IPA color and texture I was not "wowed" by it aesthetically. The aroma was nice, hops and citrus but as the label said I was detecting mango. The taste was simple at first but as I delved deeper I was more and more impressed. Obviously heavily hopped this IPA is smooth and light yet tasty. I got mango and citrus flavors but the hoppiness blended well with both. I enjoyed Dreadnaught immensely but more so the deeper I got into the bottle.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottled served in a weizen glass, thanks to Mike for this one. I've been waiting for sometime to try it and I waited with baited breath as I popped the top and pour a beautiful golden amber, clear brew with 4 finger fluffy eggshell head that took some time to settle with excellent retention and spiderweb sticky lacing.

When I walk through the pearly gate this smell may greet me with amazing mango, melon, grapefruit, orange, lemon zest citrus notes. The taste is equally heavenly with sweet caramel malts to start then super smooth mellow citrus hops that are bold but not overwhelming and a fantastically relaxed moderately bitter finish which was surprising considering the robust hops packed into this beer. A true masterpiece and up there with Pliny the Younger, Heady Topper, and Hopslam for a contender of my favorite DIPAs.

This may be the most drinkable of my favorite IPAs and certainly the most mango I've had in a beer, I'm so glad I have two more bombers to sip on!

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%

Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Appearance: Three Floyds year-round imperial India pale ale pours a shockingly light golden/brass color that is quite at odds with most beers of this style. There is a small, one to one-and-a-half fingers of white, soapsuds head that bubbles like a hotspring, something this drinker has not beheld in any beer to date. This is curious, as there is no overly active carbonation to be seen. The head has medium to low staying power, and leaves a bit of lacing behind, but nothing to write home about. There are some alcohol legs, but with the high 9.5% ABV this is to be expected. The beer’s haziness is nice, and the color is attractive, but some more head and more staying power would be nice.

Aroma: Huge citrus notes dominate the nose: mango, peaches, pineapples, oranges, and lemons are all over this beer, but they do not entirely destroy the malt presence. There is a nice, sweet caramel backbone that complements the fruity, hop bitterness. Still, make no mistake, this beer smells to be extremely hop forward. This one is called Dreadnaught for a reason, apparently.

Taste: Fruity and palate destroying, this beer is delicious. It approaches and matches levels of bitterness akin to Stone Ruination, Founders Double Trouble, and Three Floyds’ own Arctic Panzer Wolf. It tastes of hops, hops, and more hops, along with the fruitiness alluded to in the nose, and a smooth but extremely subtle caramel malt backbone. There is more malt here than in Ruination and Arctic Panzer Wolf, but not by much. The aftertaste is bitter as Hell, too. This beer is, as the label boldly proclaims, a hop-head’s dream beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this goes along with the taste in being pretty much perfect. The carbonation is wonderfully middle-of-the-road: not so much that it is like champagne, but not so little that it seems flat. The feel is not overly syrupy like many other IIPAs, and goes down so smooth that the drinker will hardly notice the bottle slowly draining. Of course, at an insane 99 IBUs, this beer has plenty of astringency and it lingers like no beer that has passed these lips apart from the aptly named and frequently aforementioned Ruination.

Overall: This beer is wholly worth the hype and the current 98 it holds on Beer Advocate. This is one of the great IIPAs out there, and the fact that it is of year-round availability is wonderful. If this one is out there on your shelves, and you are a hop-head, do not hesitate any longer; pick it up now. The only real downside to the overall package is the package itself: it comes in a 22oz, which ends up being a bit daunting to take down; Dreadnaught indeed. 18/20

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bomber into my fff teku glass.

a - pours a hazy amber color with some finer yeast particles still in suspension. gave me a dense, finger thick, off white head that takes its time calming down. leaves thick swaths of lacing in the glass.

s - strawberry , tangerine, toffee.

t - light, sweet citrus with a nice piney bitterness on the back of the tongue. has ample toffee malt character to back it up. finishes dry and crisp. very nicely put together.

m - lighter in body and very smooth. has the right amount of carbonation and a finer co2 profile.

o - fantastic! one of the more refined dipas that i have had. very, very drinkable for 9.5%. i'm gonna have to head down to three floyds more often.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.