Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,741
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

22 ounce bomber, "express delivered" from my buddy Beenken straight from the brewery less than a week ago. Many thanks to Matt for picking these up for me!

A: Pours a light shade of golden yellow with a frothy white head on top that formed that "pancake batter" bubbles in the middle that I like.

S: Wow. Huge nose of citrus, mango, and a hint of grapefruit. Pungent, potent, delightful hops dominate the nose.

T: And at the first taste, this beer does not disappoint, but rather lives up to it's lofty reputation. What is most surprising is just how "light" this beer is, it's not at all thick or heavy.

The hops dominate here. The malts stay waaay way out of the way. And the hops here are artistically rendered. It starts with citrus notes and perhaps some flavors of mango. I even pick up on a hint of Lemon. Then grapefruit and dry-hopped bitterness ride in like a wave to carry this beer to a finish line. Just exceptional.

M: Light and bubbly, this beer finishes with a good tongue-coating of hop oils.

D: Incredibly high. This beer sings my favorite song: hops. It's light, smooth, and full of hoppy flavor. Highly repeatable.

psuKinger, Jun 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Had on tap at a whole foods in Chicago.

Pours a honey amber color with a tiny half inch of white head. Leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like resiny pine hops, citrus hops, caramel and a tinge of alcohol.

Tastes follows smell. Opens with the hops as well as caramel and moves into the citrus taste. Moves into an alcohol and pine finish and very clean.

Mouthfeel is full and nicely carbonated.

overall it's a good beer...not the best. A little too sweet as it goes along and the alcohol becomes a bit too much.

bs870621345, Jun 04, 2011

Poured from the bomber to my glass. Bill who sold it to me says it came in about 6 or 7 weeks ago.

A: Beautiful orange but on this one. Light amount of head on top leaving some great lacing.

S: I can smell the citrusy hops as I pour this. Sort of lemony with some good malt character in there. I'd describe the malt as being a little cerealy. Maybe some biscuit but not much.

T: Freakin' amazing. This is what an IPA is meant to be. The hops come through more of a citrus orange then lemon and the bitter lingers on the backend. Up front is that sweet malt. It's amazing just how long the hop stays with you. This is certainly one you can sip and enjoy for awhile. Makes it well worth that $11.99 price tag.

M: It feels "bright" in your mouth. From the moment you drink it until well after your done your taste buds will tingle. It's exactly what you want with an IPA.

O: A+ hands down. One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever had. If you're a lover of IPA's and haven't had this you're doing yourself a disservice.

BrewIndy, Jun 03, 2011

Pours a light translucent orange with a smallish white head that leaves behind some substantial spotty lacing.

Aromas are a full on barrage of fruits; mainly tropical with mango and pineapple, but still substantial amounts of blood orange and grapefruit as well. Sweet honey and slight caramel maltiness on the back end as it warms a little. A little alcohol as it warms as well, which is unfortunate.

The taste begins with slight sweet and bready malts but quickly shifts to a barrage of lemon, grapefuit and pine bitterness and flavor from the hops. No tropical fruits that were in the aroma but the pine and citrus and delicious enough to carry the flavor profile. Slight crackery, dry bready maltiness and alcohol emerge as this warms a little. Quite resiny and sticky but not palate wrecking compared to many of today's DIPAs.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation, a tad bit dry, and finishes quite crisp and a bit still resiny. I wish the light fusel alcohol wasn't impacting the overall flavor profile.

Overall this is a super solid DIPA, but not worth the inflated price tag coupled with the elevated hype surrounding this beer/brewery. I recommend it if you can find it but don't pay an arm and a leg to find it. Odds are the best DIPA available to you is on par with this brew, e.g. Hopslam, Pliny, DFH 90 Minute, Surly Abrasive, etc.

claspada, Jun 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

Found at Lovejoys in Austin, TX this IPA shows a deep, clear copper color with a decent off-white colored head and very good lacing. The aroma offers a faint citrus biscuit/oak. Pleasant but not very distinct. The flavor brings an immediate citrus hop burst with lemon-lime bite and sweet leafy-grass edges, almost a bit nutty. It’s a medium bodied brew with minimal carbonation for a near glassy feel. Plenty drinkable and a tasty IPA that’s easy to recommend for those seeking a bitter treat.

Durge, Jun 02, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a golden yellow with a medium white head that laces nicely.

Smells strongly of fruit, more tropical fruit, almost strawberry in the hop nose. Nice aroma but not amazing.

Tastes of fruity hops with a mix of mango and strawberry as the most up-front flavors for me. Some mix of pine and citra-type hops really work well here. There is some malt back, but it only really shows in the overall sweetness. Some bitterness towards the finish.

The has a nice, medium bodied mouthfeel that is not too heavy. It is smooth, and almost creamy but not quite.

This would be in my top three of the style. It is more towards the fruit/citra/amarillo side of things in taste, more smooth than bitter, and goes down well. I would like something more in the nose...though, I would bet if this was really fresh it would be amazing.

TenHornsProud, May 28, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber with no freshness dating that I can find, poured into a Duvel tulip. Gigantic 4-finger fluffy eggshell white head with a clear, golden body. Good retention and rings of lacing. Looks great.

Excellent aroma. How many hop words can one use to describe? Citrus, tropical, floral, grassy, pine, grapefruit, mango. Basically in that order. Oh, and a little caramel malt following.

Very delicious flavor. Basically, a repeat of the rich aroma profile as the flavors blend nicely. On the sweeter side of the DIPA spectrum.

Medium mouthfeel with oily hops abounding. Although I generally prefer DIPAs with a little less sweetness, this one does not offend with its sweetness due to the deep hop profile. Highly recommend.

FanofHefe, May 26, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Tulip glass.

Pours golden with pure white foam, lots of nice super tiny bubbles and some but not much lacing. Smells like fresh mango and citrus, lemon, balanced with some caramel in the secondary. Taste leans more towards the citrus than tropical fruit, with a fair amount of caramely malt. The flavors are fairly muted, and I can't tell if this is just a freshness issue (bottle is from a trade). Long finish with a fair amount of piney bitterness. Medium bodied, medium-high carbonation, and no noticeable heat. Overall, very tasty, citrus-forward DIPA.

pmarlowe, May 25, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

Had on tap at FFF brewery this last weekend, reviewing from a bottle. Light golden color. Weird, because I poured two glasses. The first had a tiny head, the seconds head was about an inch deep. TONS of citrus on the nose. Tastes of grapefruit, orange, lemon, mango, and then more grapefruit through the finish that lingers through the aftertaste. Very very nice. Reminds me of alpha king without the bitterness. This stays sweet, hoppy, and fruity with very little bitterness. Very nice brew. So glad that I can find it year round "back home again in Indiana".

1Adam12, May 25, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Thank you Treebs for the smooth trade. I will be looking for more of this soon..

A- looks about a lighter golden haze from the bottle. Looks hazy and pale gold with some smaller carbonation bubbles. Larger 2 finger head that is staying around and will not go away. Very large head retention and lacing on this one.

S- BIIIIG citrus note. Grapefruit, orange and sweeter fruits like mango in there. smells really really good.

T- I wish there was a freshness date on this but it tastes great nonetheless. I'm more of an unbalanced IPA guy but find this balance very satisfying. Big and wet upfront with an awesome balace of sweetness and bitterness. The malt is there but takes a backseat. Very nicely made beer. sweetness gets very strong toward the middle and turns piney bitter on the finish. Fantastic beer.

M- medium body with medium lighter carbonation. Feels wet and stays on the pallet for a while

O- I expected great stuff from this one, but was completely blown away. Smells and tastes amazingly

Gushue3, May 25, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle via trade with CounterVulture into my Maudite snifter glass.

A: A nice clear amber orange color with a thin head. Spotty minimal glass lacing that disappears. Carbonation is very low.

S: Great DIPA smell. Hops with citrus, grapefruit and pine with a sweet malt smell. Balanced.

T: Follow the nose. I actually got a sweet malt hit first, then the hops come rushing in with flavors of citrus, grapefruit, orange, pine and some spice. The sweet caramel malt stays while the hops punch you in the face. Big bitterness that is prickly on the finish lasts. Alcohol pokes through at the end. Hoppy but malty too, great balance.

M: Full and prickly, very thick too. Fairly prominent alcohol flavor but it is very welcomed and warming. Low carbonation.

D: Medium, this was a very enjoyable beer, but I'm not sure I could have anymore. Very enjoyable in smaller quantities.

Overall a top notch DIPA no doubt that can stand up to the best. Very west coast style and very good. Glad I got to finally try this revered beer, it was very good.

*** Updated 5/20/11***

Traded for another bottle recently from fear025. Thanks Jay.

On my second tasting I am picking up a ton more fresh sweet fruit. Mango, grapefruit, orange, peach etc. with some slight pineyness. Freshness is key with this beer (of course). Less malt comes through but remains strong with huge caramel flavors. Finish lasts but alcohol is very well hidden. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer the second time around. Drinkabiltiy was awesome and I could have easily had more. Great, great DIPA.

Kadonny, May 23, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Pours a slightly cloudy orange amber. Nice two finger head with some good retention.

S- Lot's of layers featuring tropical, floral, citrus and pine. Lemon rind, orange peel, mango, apricots are present as well as some fresh cut grass and caramel malt.

T- Great amount of citrus and pine notes with grapefruit as well as pineapple and mango. There is a slight sharp bitterness and sweet malt in the finish.

M- Medium carbonation. Chewy and slightly oily mouthfeel. Despite the high ABV, it is still quite drinkable.

O- One of my favorite DIPA's easily. 3F are masters at making big and bold hoppy brews and this one doesn't disappoint. I would drink this much more often if it wasn't so pricey.

iadler, May 22, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +12%

Before we begin, I should mention that I've had this both on tap and in bomber format, and the only perceptible difference for me is that the bomber has somewhat less of the tropical hops and more of the piney hops aroma, as well as a wonderfully creepy label art. This review is otherwise applied to an on-draft serving at one of my favorite haunts.

A. Golden-straw, like liquid sunshine. Not hazy at all, and the head is wonderfully tall and fluffy, lingering quite a while as it helps aerate that hop scent into the air. This is pretty much exactly how I like my beer to look.

S. Pine resin, mangoes, apricots, sweet malt, pineapple, papaya, its an entire tropical fruit salad in the middle sandwiched between two "buns" that are actually pine cones. :) It is worth emphasizing that I have yet to find an IPA which has more MANGO smell than this brew...and because I like mangoes and hops a hell of a lot, therefore I like this beer a hell of a lot.

T. Okay, the taste starts out as grapefruit peel, shifts to orange peel, more pine cones, etc. Amazingly complex. Practically every aspect of hop flavor is represented, and yet none of these aspects are overdone or wear out their welcome. Citra hops on their own don't do this. Three Floyds must pair Citra up with something else that fills in the gaps Citra makes. Something I can't quite put my finger on which is the perfect backup band for Citra's front man.

M. The one and only niggling complaint I have is that the carbonation could be slightly higher for my taste. Strangely enough, I haven't had carbonation problems in bombers, only on tap. Its a strange trade-off between higher tropical hop aspects if served on tap and the better carbonation of having it in a bottle. I choose...the hops! :)

This is one of my old standbys, as well as my IPA gold standard. Cannot possibly recommend this one highly enough for what it deserves.

WastingFreetime, May 22, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to Alex (page101) for hooking me up with this on an awesome trade! Clear orange-yellow pour with two finger head, good retention and incredible lacing. The smell is nothing short of heaven! Huge citrus notes with freshly picked resiny hops and a touch of bubblegum. The taste is just as incredible as the nose. Tons of citrus, fresh picked resiny hops, and pine, but perfectly balanced with just enough sweet caramel malt to offset the bitterness. The alcohol is non-existent making this scary drinkable. This is probably the smoothest imperial IPA I've ever had. Maybe the best. It's definitely in the same class as PTE, Hopslam, and Sculpin. What a way to be introduced to Three Floyds! Can't wait for my next one!

beerdrifter, May 22, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to BlessedBeBeer for the kind trade.

a - cracked the bottle and filled my captain lawrence taster tulip. poured a deep orange yellow with vibrant carbonation and a generous bubbly head. sparse lacing.

s - very balanced citric hops. a touch of bubblegum sweetness.

t - again, really nicely balanced hops with bubblegum sweetness. quite tasty.

m - great body and feel. smooth and rich. really in the sweet spot. finishes with a touch of bitterness.

o - paint me impressed. very VERY solid and worthwhile IIPA.

cosmicevan, May 21, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +2.9%

I cracked open this bomber and took a whiff of its contents and got slapped in the face by the aroma. Typical IIPA bouquet of ripe tropical fruit and flowers. I poured it into a 3 Floyds glass and it emerged a hazy apricot color with a perfect, fine, frothy white head that has excellent retention and lacing.

What a beer! I was expecting this beer to be far more bitter than it is. What you get is a dry, sharp, piney, fruity, citrus-like flavor up front that gets really, really creamy and buttery in mid-palate before kicking you in the tongue one more time as you swallow. Another triumph for Three Floyds. I am a huge, huge fan of their beers. I wish I could get a better selection of them where I live, but I'm very grateful for the few that I do have access to.

Further notes - I've had this beer several times since my first review. The thing about this beer that still dazzles me is the feel. It is unbelievably creamy for an Imperial IPA. The nose is rank with ripe tropical fruit and the bitterness on the palate is aggressive, but there is a really solid malt presence behind all those hops and it makes the drinkability go through the roof without adding excessive sweetness to the beer.

deadonhisfeet, May 21, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy honey orange. One finger of off-white head with strong retention and lace. Tons of tiny bubbles on the bottom of the glass.

S: Pine and citrus on top, peaches and mangoes in the middle, sweet malt underneath. It's a nose full that persists through the glass.

T: Yum! A thousand pine needle darts briefly assail the tongue before yielding to a sweet, spicy malt. Pine comes back on the end like a finishing coat of lacquer. Alcohol is just barely perceptible as a flavor. As the beer warms, some mango murmurs and dark fruit whispers come off the bench to mix things up. The pine never gives up and towers above throughout the glass.

M: Medium mouthfeel, quite creamy with a little smooth oily swab at the end. Dangerously drinkable.

O: Lives up to the hype, a fantastic DIPA, second only to Hopslam from what I've had so far, and even then, a very close second indeed. Drink it and be happy. Too bad it's not in Iowa, but Illinois is not that far away. Oh, yeah.

AmericanGothic, May 21, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Big thanks to Bay01 for sending this one to me. Poured from the bomber into my DFH Signature glass. Split the bomber with my girlfriend.

A—Vibrant burnt orange color, lots of carbonation bubbles, and a fluffy white head produced with a vigorous pour.

S—Heavy hops, tangy citrus (grapefruit, orange, pineapple). Floral notes are prominent. Smells like freshly cut grass and pinecones.

T—Like sucking on a pinecone. Heavy hops; very bitter taste. The alcohol is hidden nicely. The citrus is prominent, but plays second fiddle to the hops.

M—Heavy bodied. Lots of alcohol and a sweet syrup-feel.

O—This is fantastic. One of the best DIPAs I have ever tasted. It’s the perfect blend of hops and citrus for me. I cannot stand overly-sweetened DIPAs, but this is dry and hoppy enough to satisfy me! I wish this were readily available in my area.

Mosley1212, May 20, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Went to the 3 Floyd's Brewery for first time today. First beer ordered was Dreadnaught. Loved it. Imagine Gumballhead on steroids. The aroma was fruity. Color was a lovely brown. Best part was the mouthfeel. The high ETOH concentration was not overpowering. After two of these, it already started to do the trick. I was able to get a growler to go too. Will save that for tomorrow.

DangQuesadilla, May 20, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an amber color with a golden tint. There is a two finger foamy, thick off white head of which just a layer remains.

Smell: Sweet citrus hops, apricots and pineapple, quite crisp.

Taste: Very bitter but well balanced. Citrus peel bitterness with a mild sweetness. Not a lot of malt, but just enough, some alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with delicate carbonation. The finish is slick.

Overall: Very good beer. The hop profile is wonderful. Very smooth and easy to drink given the amount of hops and abv.

oline73, May 20, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to given2flybrewing for the beer.

A- Pours a beautiful orange/yellow with a one finger fluffy white head. Hazy, and the head sticks around fairly well.

S- I could smell this as soon as I popped the cap, mangoes, maybe a bit of grassiness, and spice. Very very fragrant and dense, great stuff.

T- Not overly bitter, not astringent, and not too sweet. Nothing negative to really say about this, it's much like the smell, very fruity and a bit spicy. Not much malt to speak of, but it's certainly doing what it should be. Gives a very very slightly sweet finish.

M- Well carbonated, medium bodied. Coats the mouth in hop flavors, but doesn't dry or leave anything undesirable. Perfect for a IIPA.

O- A beer like this is tough to come by. I think the biggest thing I like about this is there isn't too much of any one thing. Not too much tropical fruity sweetness, not too much bitterness, not too much malt, and not too heavy. Wonderful.

sirdillon, May 19, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - The color of wild honey. An aggressive pour yields a head with the color and consistency of whipped cream. Heavy lacing on the glass. Simply gorgeous.

S - woodsy and fruity, with hints of pine.

T - It tastes like fresh Hopslam with less honey. There is a hoppy bitterness that lingers in the back of the throat.

M - Good carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing.

O - This is an excellent IIPA. I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but if you like Pliny, Hopslam, and Double Trouble you would be well advised to give this a taste!

mklooster, May 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Glassware: Bruery tulip
10oz pour from the 22oz bomber yields a 1 finger white head, but the lacing is minimal and the head fades almost entirely. Clarity is very good on this medium yellow/orange beauty.
Sweet tropical scents dominated by mango and peach as well as some floral notes, strong and nearly perfect.
Strong bitterness to this one that lingers on the back of the tongue. Mostly getting Simcoe in the taste, seems pretty one note, very disappointing after the superb smell but still enjoyable. Fruity notes of mango, apricot and peaches. Malt profile is nice but I, personally, could use more of it as the bitterness becomes a bit cloying.
Low carbonation, a bit too low for me, but goes down fairly smooth and drinkability is still good.
Overall, for $10 a bomber this beer is overpriced in my opinion. Even so, it is still a nice interpretation of the style and a good introduction to some non-west-coast Double IPAs for me.

LSUPT, May 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

I have had on tap and in the bottle a great beer but very expensive. 11-13$ a bomber is a lot when I can buy a 6 pack of high quality beer for less.

A- good color decent head

S- good smell a little hop, pine and apricot

T- excellent even with the high alcohol level. Great with bold food like a blue cheese burger or BBQ. It is better enjoyed with food it brings out more flavor

M- good

notalagerlugger, May 18, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

pours a translucent golden color with massive white frothy head. lots o' lacing all the way down the tulip. looks like a pint of liquid gold... nice looking beer.

wow, this is citrirific on the nose! grapefruit and tangerines are so strong, it reminds me of sticking my head in a secondary bucket during dry hopping. this bad boy has to be fresh (FFF, please date your beer)!

tastes just like it smells... citrus hops all over the place. like sucking on a grapefruit peel. the fruit cup tastes lingers for days as the bitter pine bite sneeks up in the aftertaste. can taste the warming alcohol further down the glass and it is enjoyable.
also, the malty backbone is subtly lingering in the background and behaving just like malts should in an IPA. brings incredible depth without steeling the show.

medium body with appropriate carbonation. very smooth and creamy for an IPA.

fantastic beer. I am a hophead and this may have just dethroned Hopslam as my favorite hoppy beer. three cheers for Three Floyds!

haddon, May 18, 2011