Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,835
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks again to jzmaxson27 for this great beer! Sadly the last I have from our trade.

A: This is a really gorgeous caramel amber color. Nice and hazy. Two fingers of white fluffy head. I haven't even started and I can already see some amazing lacing. The head has fantastic retention too. Beautiful and unbelievably inviting. Maybe if there was just a bit more head retention this would be a perfect 5.0

S: Definitely lots of fresh hop oils. Big piney aromas hit me first. Tons of citrus. From the bottle (before pouring) I got a lot more floral notes that are still present but not so much so. Now it's primarily pine and citrus. The malts have a nice presence here as well and it makes me think this is going to have a substantive backbone.

T: Nice slap in the face from the hops, but that was to be expected. Primarily taste a rich pineyness. That's immediately wrestled down by a perhaps overly sweet caramel malt. There's a huge change of pace from the big piney bitterness to this equally bit caramel malty sweetness. I do get the alcohol on the finish, but it's almost immediately taken over by a nice bitter finish. And oh is it long.

M: Light to medium body with good carbonation. No complaints here but nothing really jumps out.

O: Man, this beer took me a few sips to adjust to. It really swings for the fences. It's actually quite drinkable as I've realized I've finished most of the glass of 9.5% abv beer during the tasting itself! I really do enjoy this beer... I love, love huge hoppy DIPAs but I do feel like this beer is fighting with itself a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

A: amber with yellow hues. 3 finger frothy off white head with a nice amount of lacing but not much retention

S: perfect mix of citrus and floral hops. My wife doesn't drink beer but she kept asking to smell this one. The malt is intermixed but the dominating aromas are all you care to acknowledge.

T: a nicely formulated interplay between sweet caramel with citrus nd piney hops. The alcohol content is well hidden. The hop character is complex and memorable.

M: creamy for an IPA. Moderate to high carbonation and medium bodied.

Overall: this is a very nice DIPA. Not perfect in the taste but very close. The aroma is impressive and te mouthfeel unique.

3.92/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours an orange caramel color into my ccb snifter with a one finger head that disapates fast. Aroma of tropical fruits with a malty butterscotch backbone. Taste follows the nose, great citric hop taste with a sweet caramel malt leaving this fairly balanced but still a bit sweeter than the top dipas that I have tried. This is a great dipa but not the best, I don't think I will be seeking this out again.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber I got from fellow BA Urbencaver who I must give a big shout out to into a chilled Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a light amber with an initial huge head that fades after a few minutes and leaves an awesome array of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Just how I like my IPA's. Huge tropical notes of Mango and citrus with huge amount of hops balanced out with a semi-sweet malt background.

T: WOW, this beer is everything they say it is. It starts out with a bitter pine, tropical fruit taste and then the sweet malt background kicks in and all the flavors unite as one.

M: Very nice on the palate. Perfect amount of carbonation to this beer.

O: One of the best IPA's I have ever had. You wouldn't think the ABV was over 9% and you could get in trouble with this beer as it has a very easy drinking demeanor to it. Great IPA that I would highly recommend to the hophead

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a light translucent amber that had a froathy slight off white head. The foam faded to a minute layer and even equally small inconsistent ring around the glass. The first smells are hoppy freshness, floral, slight pine, dish detergent and citrus. This is a hop-o-vore's delight. Very slight malt and a tang of bitterness. Great composition. The 9.5% abv is not obvious... this is a smooth, non-boozy, kick ass beer. 3F's best brews are their hoppiest, in my humblest of opinions.

Enjoy!

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.