1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,744
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +8.1%

Shared a bottle with a friend. Poured into a Delirium tulip.

Pours a light orange and amber with a 1 finger head. The smell is of floral apricots and mangos just like the bottle says. The taste is unlike any Double IPA I have ever had. More orange and mangos to compliment the obvious hops. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and probably one of the smoothest beers I have ever had. I cannot believe this beer is 9.5% I would swear it is no more than 6. Everyone trys to compare Hopslam to this beer. While I love Hopslam, Dreadnaught blows it away. I would take this over Hopslam everyday of the week. The best Double IPA I have ever had.

mcgwire756, Feb 05, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

From a fresh bomber in a Tulip Glass

Almost gold like color with a medium size head that lingers.

Smell is a slightly citrus with hop background.

Taste is smooth and full.

Slight lingering aftertaste of the hops. Not so much as to be unpleasaant but more than I like.

I think this beer suffered by being tasted on the same evening as Hopslam. A very good brew but not as great.

jsulko, Feb 05, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +5.9%

Beer poured from a bottle into a Pint glass

A - Beer poured with 1 1/2 finger white colored foam; rocky in appearance and held very well; lacing was great, it stuck to the sides very well; beer has an orange tinge to it and its cloudy in appearance, but has a moderate amount of carbonation to it

S - Citrus and pine hop smells; flowery & fruit (strawberry) esters come up from yeast (which you can see at the bottom of the bottle and glass); malt sweetness coupled with some caramel notes; really solid blend of complex aromas, this is one of the best parts of the beer

T - Malt sweetness, caramel, and fruits that hits you upfront and is immediately followed by a hop bitterness explosion; you can taste the pine/grassy hops; there is almost a sense of deliciousness, my umami buds are going crazy; aftertaste is mild and lingers for a while, in fact, during retro-olfaction I can taste and smell pine, grassy hops

M - Beer feels a bit oily, almost buttery, which makes for a smooth transition down the hatch; slightly effervescent; just a really well-built beer with a fantastic blend of ingredients to get the right balance of taste and feel

D - Overall, just a fantastic drink and definitely one of my favorites; I'm glad I waited this long to try it; I would recommend to other beer lovers; something I must carry in my fridge at all times

ferrari29, Feb 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Fresh bomber bought at the brew pub poured into pint glass.

A. Nice straw colered body with a two finger fluffy head plenty of carbonation coming off the bottom of the glass. bottle conditioned if I remember correctly.

S. Good amount of citris hops and pine also getting passion fruit,I don't detect any alchohol I figured I would, but nothing.

T. First in front I'm tasting alot of bitter hops once it gets to the back of the pallet I get a little balence of malts not much though.I also taste some peach some mango.

M. Medium mouthfeel good carbonation cleans the pallet.

D. This stuff is dangerous, alchohol is hidden very well I could drink alot of this! I would definately recommend this beer.

Marty30, Feb 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

From a 22oz Bottle into a SN Tulip

A: Nice gold-burnt orange look. Poured with a nice two finger head into a SN tulip.It had nice carbonation and left some good lacing on the glass.

S: Citrus, Pineapple and Mango are just some of the smells I got from this beer. A great smelling DIPA.

T: Much like the smell. Pineapple and Mango flavors. Slight bit of alcohol in the back end. Though not bad for a 9.5% beer.

M: Medium bodied. Very smooth and almost creamy feel.

D: Drinkability is good with a slight bit of alcohol presence . Took a little time to finish the bomber but had no trouble doing so. I liked this beer alot.

azureoval, Jan 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bomber poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Light golden/orange in color with a slight chill haze. Two-inch bubbly white head has decent retention and leaves behind sticky rings of white lacing.

S: Pine, resinous hop oils, mild citrus, mango, tangerine, and a bit of pineapple. Light whiff of a sweet malt base. Good, but a bit weak.

T: Lots of sweet mango, pineapple, white grapes. Substantial resiny pine bitterness rides all the way into the dry finish. Sweet malt base, mild alcohol. There's an odd sweetness to this beer that I can't really pinpoint. It tastes like a sugary mango puree.

M: Medium bodied, slightly creamy. Decent amount of astringency from the generous hopping.

D: Maybe a tad boozy to be ideally drinkable.

Notes: Chamone, guys. Get with the program. Bottled-on dates would be nice. I have no idea how fresh this was, but I would guess it was a bit past its prime. As it stands I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is a pretty decent DIPA, but nowhere near a top 100 beer. Maybe a fresh bottle would change my opinion.

ryan1788a5, Jan 29, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Poured this 22oz. bomber into a standard 16oz. pint glass. It was a yellowish-straw-like color with a thin, quarter inch head of tiny bubbles resting on top. Gorgeous and thick lacing.

SMELL: Smells a lot like Hopslam, but less intense. Honey, caramel and malt seem to make up the backbone. A bit of mango and citrus are noticable as well, but unlike the bottle claims, I did not notice any peach.

TASTE: Very complex beer. Begins with a punch of hops and then quickly exposes the sweet, honey and caramel malts of the nose. The aftertaste, however, reverts right back to the hops with a bitter and piney flavor. Very odd, but very nice.

MOUTHFEEL: Thin at first, without much feel of carbonation, then, at the very end of the sip it feels and tastes like someone dragged a hop cone across your tongue. Once again, ususual, but still good.

OVERALL: This is not the beer you introduce someone to the style with. It is an intense, complex Double IPA for the professionals.

StoneTSR, Jan 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a Tulip Glass.

A: Pours a deep, rich, copper w/ample head. The head is stronge and slow to dissapate!! Plenty of lacing is present.

S: A bittery, piney, aroma. Sweet, roasted malts with hints of citrus aromas.

T: A very bitter, sweet grapefruit taste! Can imagine how this would be if fresh!! The aroma and taste work wonders for my soul!!

M: Clean, crisp, and smooth bitter medium body. Not as silky as Hopslam but very close!

D: Very much so!! A year-round beer that goes head-to-head with Hopslam! When you see it on the shelf...buy it!

Dhren1979, Jan 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to paulv for the bottle!

Pours a hazy peach-orange with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Some sticky lacing is left behind.

Could smell the hops right after I cracked the cap. Always a good sign. Grapefruit and orange citrus mixed with grassy hops. Sweet malts and a bit of earthiness.

Earthy, sticky, pine-laden hops on the tongue. Grapefruit pith bitterness with bready malts and a good helping of citrus. A well balanced DIPA that finishes with all hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is that of sticky, resiny, hop juice that still has a decent malt base. Good carbonation and body. Finishes with a nice wave of hop bitterness.

Quite drinkable. Lots of hops with good biterness. Not too malty. Overall, a well executed DIPA and worth seeking out. I don't know if my hand was drawn back to the glass like a few other DIPA's I've had, but this beer definitely deserves to be in the top 10 DIPA's on BA. Good stuff.

sisuspeed, Jan 27, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to PaulV for this bottle! Poured into a fluted pint, revealing hazy golden brown body with a finger and a half of airy yellowed head. A little lacing. Smells nice and hoppy with a strong honey floral presence and some fresh pear, maybe some dried mango. Little bits of rich, caramel-y meatiness underneath.

Tastes mad hoppy with a strong peppery bitterness tempered well with the grassy, citrusy character and held up by a decently thick and meaty malt backbone. Not too sweet but sweet enough to be smooth. Pretty much the perfect balance of sweet and bitterness to be very drinkable. Medium-bodied with a creamy carbonation and a slight drying after some sips.

Overall I like it quite a bit. I am lucky to live around two of my favorite DIPAs but I'm sure I could get by with bottles of this if I were from the midwest. I'd encourage people to try it!

abuliarose, Jan 26, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a slightly murky, golden orange with a creamy white head leaving a decent lace on the glass.

S - Before the pour, the aromas coming out of the bottle are amazing. Huge hop burst with light notes of caramel. Once poured into my glass, i get a bit more of that maltiness which i come to expect from the style, but hops, mostly citrus, grapefruit, orange peel and pineapple dominate.

T - Wonderfully balanced. Malty backbone with great bitterness. Great tastes of pine resin, grapefruit, pineapple and even some mango. This is definitely a world class IIPA!

M - Medium body, with medium carbonation. Somewhat of a syrupy feel to it, but i would not call it creamy. Juicy and crisp at the end with a nice semi dry finish and a light to moderate bitterness.

D - This is a very drinkable beer, duh! I'm finding the high ABV masked rather well due to the the delicate balance this beer attained. I wish this was more readily available on the west coast. Since its not, i'll have to stick to pliny, poor me ;)

dubinsky, Jan 24, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Bomber rec'd as Xmas from a friend in Chicagoland. Poured into perfect pint. No. Bottle date

A- hazy light orange with a one finger head that fades quickly and spot laces nicely

S- citrus assault with little malt sweetness

T- super sharp bitter grapefruit that slams and leaves just as fast. Some bitter rind comes out, but pretty one dimensional

M- a little on the thin side, and heavy carbonation. This all seems to play in to the sharp notes of the hops

D- I love hop bombs, so I can down this easily, but for the price and availability to me, there's many better IIPA's...

I love that my girl in Chi-Town hooked me up, but unfortunately the store she got this from doesn't have the best turnaround, so this may be an old bottle. It's just missing something

imagese, Jan 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -5%

22oz bottle provided by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe! Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A - Pours a very clear goldenrod body, with some slight amber in the thickest parts of the glass. It slowly but surely builds about 1.5 fingers worth of rocky, off-white head with pretty low retention. An absolute torrent of carbonation can be seen rushing from the nucleation point to the top, quick and numerous. Some spotty lacing appears after the head dissipates.

S - The smell is full of fruits and pine, a great combination. I am getting lots of grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple. All this beer needs is a little frilly umbrella and the tropical scene is complete. There is some wet pine smell as well, beautifully showcasing the hop profile of this beer. Delicious smelling.

T - Given the awesome smell of this beer, I was expecting a ton of flavor, and while this beer certainly boasts a ton of hops, I feel the nose does a much better job of displaying them. While it's possible to get the slight tropical fruits, this beer, like many other (D)IPAs, tends to sway towards the orange and grapefruit bitterness. I am not sure of the age of this beer, so the date could definitely have an impact, but I can't say either way. Given that, this is a great beer, but I thought the nose built it up to be incredible. The fruits have a way of contributing to while cutting the bitterness a bit, and the pine arises to add an extra complexity. The malt backbone is comprised of some nice caramel support. Finish is long and bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. Great mouthfeel, sticky hops leave a thick coating on the mouth, and contribute to the long finish.

D - Drinkability is high. Easy to drink and has all the right components to a good time. Had no problem finishing a bomber of this over the course of a Penguins game.

nhindian, Jan 21, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to Agold for this trade, and the chance to try this amazing beer. Poured into my Dfh snifter, appearance is a dark yellow/orange color, about 1 finger of head quickly dies down with nice glass lacing. On the nose, there are some huge aromatic grapefruit flavors, as well as pine, and some nice tropical fruits and citrus. On the first taste, the fresh grapefruit and citrus flavors flavors mingle, along with some nice bitter hops, followed by a creamy malt at the end. This is a truly amazing beer, a great specimen of a double ipa. For the big abv, it is really hidden well, and this is highly drinkable. Bravo three floyds!

lnashsig, Jan 17, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Giant three finger head off the pour into a pint glass. Huge retention on it, this thing just WILL not go away very impressive off white color and very foamy. Some faint cloudiness but not much, with a nice golden dark brown color body. This is a very impressive looking beer.

Smell is a primary hops obviously, and airy chew, but a faint fruit that is hard to discern and pinpoint. There is not a lot of fruit smell on this beer, it's mostly just hops and it's nearly impossible to detect the citrus and so called tropical fruits that the bottle claims.

Taste is typical but tolerable hops that are not too bitter. But missing big notes of fruit with only a slight faint orange on the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer though is truly exceptional, it is extremely pillow and fluffy like in the mouth it feels great. There is also a strange ashen (ashes) like quality to this beer which is just weird.

This is a decent beer but I am not blown away by it at all and it's hard to find in my area and pricey. I would not pay a lot of money to have this again, and I would easily grab a Dogfish 90 or the Burton Baton over this.

smakawhat, Jan 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

01/15/11- Review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Slightly hazy amber with a cream sticky head.
S: Very nice hops profile: slightly floral, but mostly citrus with a strong pineapple. There is a toffee and caramel backbone. It's nice.
T: Long-lingering orange zest, with pineapple, spicy/peppery notes, and creamy rosemary. Nice.
M: Slightly thick with a frothy carbonation.
D: Great.

ne0m00re, Jan 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Hazy straw colored pour with some carbonation flowing and a short, but staying off-white head. It leaves a good web of lacing.
I can smell hops from where I stand. Lots of citrus, like a Florida fruit basket. There is grapefruit, orange, mangoes, peaches, and a hint of watermelon.
Nice spice bite of hops sweetness then bitters followed by a big lemon burst and orange peel. The hint of bread-like yeast is nice along with some subtle honey malt notes which keeps the sweetness while the hop character balances with its tartness.
The tongue tickles with bubbles as it dries out a bit. A little sticky sweetness is still present, however, making this an almost sessionable IIPA.

ManVersusBeer, Jan 14, 2011

Reviewed from notes 1/12/2011

A: citrus and floral hops are very present

Ap: copper orange with a 2 finger white head

B/T: mild carbonation, well balanced, smooth

Af: candied hops, sweet, with a dry finish

O: very comparable to DFH 90 minute

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jan 13, 2011

This is my second review of Dreadnaught, easily a desert Island beer for me, and possibly the beer I would drink last before I die (though Vanilla Bean Dark Lord probably would be it if available). Certainly it is my favorite beer that is easily available year round. I was INCREDIBLY fortunate enough to be given a growler of Dread that was tapped the day before from my beer guy in DC. I feel it is my duty to tell the beer world that you must try Dreadnaught on tap (fresh) or from a fresh growler to really appreciate this amazing beer.

The beer pours great with sticky lacing and a perfect orange hue characteristic on DIPA's, with a nice white head.

The smell might almost be the best part. Huge aroma of grapefruit, tropical fruit hops, notes of pine hops, candied malt, tangerine, and more waft effortlessly from the glass in such an open and dank way. Just so much hops in there but all of it with a beautiful fruit tinge and with some sweet malt to back it up.

The taste follows the flavor almost exactly, which I'm finding as I review more beers is becoming more rare. This beer does not disappoint and opens up a completely balanced flavor with absolutely no flaws or flavors that completely dominate. All the notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit, dank pine hops, sweeter bready malts, bitters and sweetness, and more all get along very well. Hops up front, malt and fruit in the middle, and a bittersweet end that lingers a long time.

Mouthfeel is great, it's so smooth and awesome. The creaminess is there with just enough carbonation. This is so great. Drinkability? I could drink this all day because the alcohol is hardly detectable at all, its completely sugar coated and pleasant, no burn is here AT ALL.

I had this growler next to a bottles of the best bottles Hop beers available right now (including two seasonals from great beer companies, two really great beers) and there was no contest. Granted, from a growler will always be better than a bottle for me, but still the Dreadnaught is just such a well crafted beer. What can I say, my handle even pays homage to this beer!

Dreadnaught33, Jan 13, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz bottle into snifter.

Pours a fairly clear golden, with faint orange hues and quickly rising carbonation and an average white head.

The aroma is of big citric and tropical fruity hops lending a fair amount of bitterness.

The taste is again of sweet tropical fruit such as pineapple, mango and grapefruit. I picked up just a faint caramel backing from the malts and quite faint alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

This is a well done and very enjoyable DIPA. If it were available locally I would probably pick it up, though I probably won't go out of my way to acquire it again.

vkv822, Jan 12, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

650ml bottle acquired from my contact in Indiana - my first Three Floyds beer that made quite an impression on me. This is definitely a hophead's dream beer without the bitterness. Pours a cloudy amber appearance. Opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. This beer retained a nice head and lace throughout. It's complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. A definite favorite of mine in the Imperial IPA category!

CuriousMonk, Jan 11, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Slightly hazy, yellow-straw colored hue; a thin but steady head; lacing isn't as intricate and complex as many DIPAs but it's okay

S: Wow! Lots of tropical citrus fruits from the hops; a grainy undertone; maybe a touch of bubblegum also from the hop presence

T: Tropical fruit: grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and bubble gum; alcohol numbing quality on the back of the tongue and roof of the mouth; slightly grainy undertones--man, this is tropical hop goodness!

F: Actually quite creamy for the style; the beer sits so nicely on the roof of the mouth

D: A great, wonderful and easy to drink DIPA; I can't believe it's nearly 10%--the alcohol presence is there but it's subtle and not overwhelming at all

dbossman, Jan 10, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -13.3%

Well, after watching the Seahawks summarily dispatch the Saints with brother Alumni Marshawn Lynch blasting the nail into the coffin, I have this wonderful ale sent by awesome trader Brian44556...

Pours a lightly hazed amber with pale straw highlights. Medium carbonation. Decent finger of soapy head forms and sticks around for a couple sips. Nice, sticky lacing. Aromas are fainter than expected, and a little thin. Some of the typical grapefruit and caramel notes, and some vanilla in there as well. Nothing unique or even robust about it. A slight disappointment thus far. Flavor makes up for it, though. There is a slight laundry detergent quality to it that is a put off. It's right upfront and not well hidden. Other than that flaw, the hops are well-balanced. This is the Midwest version of a Western IPA. It lacks the insane Hop Power of a Lefty DIPA. Instead, it pushes some nice, caramel malty notes into the mix and makes it a better balanced brew. There's a really sweet character to this that is intriguing, though I doubt I could drink too many of these because of it. It's almost like a young barleywine in texture and malt character. The finish, is super long - longer than John Holmes. And it's drier than expected, so this beer is very complex. Very good. 9.5% ABV is really well masked, no idea it was that potent. Worth tracking down, folks. Great take on the DIPA.

What I like most: The super well-masked ABV and complex and well-balanced flavor profile (except for the detergent taste upfront).

What I like least: The nonexistent aroma profile.

Verdict: very good beer, worth tracxking down but not elite.

SolomonGrundy, Jan 09, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to rfraga77 for sending me this one a day after it was bottled straight form the FFF source. I drank this as fresh as a Californian could, within a 7 day window from being bottled:

Appearance - Looks like a standard DIPA with a thick body you can see in the RRBC pint glass I pour it in - Good but not the brighter color I look for.

Smell - Heavenly. Tons of citris focusing on mango primarily, apricots and yes, as stated before, peaches with a very familiar "Hebal" thing blending in nicely. Dank.

Taste - Straight Dank in a glass. Very much so reminds me of Marijuana, moreso than a fresh Racer 5 which is impressive.
Very much follows the smell and the stickiness from the hops resinates the palate, lingering long after each sip. Bright citris, solid malt backbone. This beer fresh hangs with all the big boys in the WC.

Mouthfeel - A little thick but not syrupy. The body tells you it's around 9% and that it's without doubt a DIPA but that's what this beer was meant to be and what I believe FFF was aiming for. The resinous hops leave you wanting another sip over and over. I had to slow down some to relax and appreciate all it's qualities.

Drinkability - Good. A bit thick but no DIPA can drink like PtE now can it? No problem finishing the bomber.

Final Thoughts - This is one fantastic DIPA. I've had this a few times and always thought it was good but at this fresh, it's truly World Class and I now can see what all the fuss is about. Pricing still high IMHO however. I put this up in my top 5 DIPAs along with:

PtY
PtE
Citra
Alpine's Bad Boy

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jan 07, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

appearance - amber in color, a bit cloudy for an ipa, reasonable foam head, minimal/moderate lacing

smell - lots of grapefruit and citrus in the nose

taste - dominant citrus notes, sweet hops, caramel notes, a fairly balanced ipa with maybe a 60/40 hop to malt split in the flavor profile

mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation, somewhat oily and lingering on the finish

drinkability - very flavorful, the hops are clean and shine through well, more malt than i'd like, appearance could be improved for an ipa, overall very good

djbreezy, Jan 06, 2011