Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,740
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

This bottle was about six months old when I had it, so take that for what it's worth.

A: Pours a nice copper color with about a finger of fluffy white head. Good amount of foamy lace sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: A nice dose of sweet malts mixed with strong pine aromas. Hints of citrus mixed in as well.

T: A lot of caramel malt sweetness upfront transitions into a bitter hop finish. The finish features nice notes of earth and pine.

M: It's on the full side of medium body. Nice and smooth with subtle carbonation in the finish.

D: A really well done DIPA. I'm not sure it makes me want to run to Indiana to get more, but very tasty. I will reserve final judgment until I have some fresh.

MrDanno96, Nov 25, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Opened this bottle last weekend with CooperEllis, a solid BA who finds a way to get me passed out every time we review beers together. I'll have to bring that up some time. Maybe today when we do it again.

This beer pours a murky bronze/amber that produces a great susaining head. A tasty head too. The smell is of strong citrus hops, with a touch of malt. It tastes the same way, with a strong hops presence throughout. But it's not too strong, and the entire beer is well-composed. A truly smooth IPA.

Mouthfeel is solid, as there's great carbonation and the body is solid. It's a drinkable one, but without a doubt imperial, so be careful. Or figure out how to blame your drinking buddy for pouring you more.

afksports, Nov 21, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

wow. Very tasty. Got this one as an extra from a much more experienced and generous BA in a trade. Thanks for this one Drabmuh! Been a want of mine for a while.

Pours a yellow-amber with a little bit of haze to it. Nice fluffy 2 finger off white head, with solid retention and some decent lacing. Smell is amazing. Huge tropical fruits, with juicy grapefruit and orange, and some lemon. Only a hint of pine.

Taste is nice as well. Again, tropical fruits. Orange. Juicy grapefruit. Lemon and pine in the background. Actually starts off with a slight sweetness from the grain bill, which gives way to the delicious hop profile.

HURTemHIZZY, Nov 19, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Shared as an extra by extremely generous BA Wadsey. Thanks again, Clint! Poured into a tulip.

A - a beautiful apple juice golden color with a 1/2inch fluffy white head on top.

S - a ton of floral and citrus hops dominate this nose, with some wheat and maybe a hint of honey.

T - BOOM! A hop explosion wakes up my palate with delicious dry, tangy awesomeness. It smooths out in the middle and finishes with more hops as it's swallowed down.

M - great carbonation and a ton of flavorful hops are making my mouth very happy right now.

D - a delicious IIPA that I would definitely drink more of if it were readily available here.

GabrielM, Nov 18, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Nice light brownish orange color. High thick head, 'two finger' as most prefer. Lacing continues nicely down the glass (ky ale snifter) very hoppy aroma. Nice citric combined with piney, bright and floral aromas. Taste just as bold as it smells. Grapefruit, slightly lemony and piney flavors. Bitter dry finish as expected, but leaves you unsettled wanting another sip. Very fresh and
drinkable for the level of beer, could definitely sneak up and get you if you aren't careful. Great all-around beer, which is to be expected of three floyds, they never disappoint, an also as usual, the artwork for their bottle is just as awesome.

despainmakesbeer, Nov 14, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe. Beer was a hazy orange color, with a very thick and creamy, two-finger tan head. Moderate carbonation and thick lacing around the glass.

Aroma was citrus, caramel, pine, wood ad mango. Aroma is fantastic. You can almost taste it. Fortunately, I'll be tasting it in a minute.

Taste was big bitter hops, caramel, some citrus and wood notes. I think my tongue just got beat up by a gang of hops. Very nice flavor overall.

Long, bitter finish. Somewhat syrupy mouthfeel and pretty dry overall.

Excellent beer. Well made and delish.

drumrboy22, Nov 13, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a GameWorks shaker pint glass.

Thanks to taiyed for sharing this bottle!

It's taken me way too long to try this brew. It pours a slightly hazed bright amber topped by a finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises honeydew, watermelon, pine, sweet caramel, and mandarin oranges. The taste starts off with a small sortie of sharp pine and mint flavor fighters, which then dovetails into a mild carpet bombing raid by slightly minty caramel bombers. The lack of hop intensity leads us to think this may be an old bottle (without dates, we'll never truly know)...or that people are imagining hops that aren't there. Still, despite this, it is a pretty nice flavor. The body is a stolid medium, with a light carbonation and a dry, kinda sticky feel. Overall, a solid DIPA, not one of my favorites but one that can still hold its own against many challengers.

TMoney2591, Nov 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to taiyed for bringing this to the party so that I don't have to buy it myself.

I first must say before I plug in all of my notes here, that this beer is past it's prime and I don't know what date it was from. That having been said...This beer pours a hazy golden orange with a frothy white foam head. There is still a wonderful piny aroma mixed with the citrus of oranges and lemon. The flavor still has some bitterness from the hops, but the general flavor has long since left the building. I shall assume the age is at fault for the balance that exists between malt and hop here. This beer is pretty good on the palate and drinks well. A good beer if you can get it, a great beer if you can get it fresh.

Vdubb86, Nov 12, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Light transparent orange with light whight head. Smells hoppy and sweet. Tastes nicely hopped with sweet fruity aftertaste, really grabs the tastebuds!! Orange citrus flavor, lace sticks to the glass nicely. OMG the hops and sweet citrus is a perfect combination. Bitter. Excellent IPA. This is a favorite for me would definitely drink this again.

Frothboss, Nov 12, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Pours dark orange/light red color. Thick two-fingered head that last quite awhile in the tulip. Brilliant, slow moving carb bubbles. The lacing is sticky with this one...every sip reveals where the beer has been on your glass with a solid (not broken up) ring around it.

S- Grapefruit aroma initially....all tropical citrusy smells really. Wonderful.

T- Pungent hop profile. "Fresh." Sweet caramel malt...mouthwatering dankness. This is the stuff beer legends are made of. Boozy enough to let you know you're not drinking God's tears, or maybe you are. Dank the dark lord for this beer...I know not what that means but I meant every world of it!

M- Rich, creamy. You know, all the good mouthfeel adjectives.

D/O- Normally I deduct slightly on DIPAs in this category but the alcohol is so hidden and the beer is so delicious I think a lot of people would try to take down more (2? 3? bombers) than they should. Wow. Hats off to Three Floyds...my favorite style of beer, this is the best DIPA I've had thusfar...so does that mean this is now my favorite beer? It just may be.

Duff27, Nov 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2%

This beer pours with a surprisingly pale color for the style with almost no head (at least it did in my snifter). A great, dry hoppiness hits you right up front. The finish has some lovely citrus notes with a smoothness you wouldn't expect from a beer with IBU's this high. Three Floyds continues to show their expertise in hoppy beers with this gem.

shodrod, Nov 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

brian44556 set me up with this one in a trade we did a few weeks ago. I have heard a lot of good things about Three Floyds, and I have been looking forward to drinking this one.

The beer pours a slightly hazy copper orange with a creamy one finger white head. The beer did travel from Kentucky, so some of the haziness may come from traveling UPS. After a few minutes the head fades to a small thin ring. The aroma is fantastic! I'm initially hit with fresh tart grapefruit, orange, tangerine, mango and pineapple. I wouldn't have expected all of these aromas to come off so distinct and fresh, but they do and are very inviting.

The first sip is everything I could have hoped for and expected from that aroma. Bitter grapefruit is the first flavor that shows up, and then I'm hit with oranges and those tropical fruits. In the end there is almost a pithy flavor which makes it feel like they actually ground up a grapefruit and threw it in the bottle. The beer is rich and creamy on the tongue with just enough carbonation.

This is one of those beers with tons of hype surrounding it, but this one lives up to the expectations unlike many others. The flavors are so fresh and crisp! Somewhere in this beer they hid 9%+ alcohol, but I haven't been able to find it. I sure wish Three Floyds distributed to Pennsylvania, but at least I have a friend in Kentucky who is willing to trade for this fantastic beer.

jlandis, Nov 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

I've been searching for this beer for over five years, being I'm on the East Coast, Three Floyds stuff is really hard to find. 'Finally found some while on a Chicago business trip recently, ended up bringing (3) bottles home.

A - Pours a clear dark orange color with mild carbonation and a very thin, finely bubbled, white creamy ring.

S - The nose is dripping with ripe pineapple, juicy orange, mango, spices, and some pine. The bouquet is dominated by tropical fruit with any malt pushed far in the background.

T - Vibrant tropical fruit throughout with mild malt undertones. The bitter hopping hits the front of the tongue immediately and lingers long after it's past the gums and down the throat. Pine, grapefruit, and other citrus fruit dance around the tongue. Right away I noticed a spicey warming in the back of the throat as it makes it way down and continues a warming effect for several minutes afterwards. Long lingering orange metallic coating in the mouth.

M - medium bodied with mildly moderate carbonation on the tongue. Lip smacking sticky on the lips.

D - Incredibly HIGH, this stuff is AWESOME! It's a hop lover's ideal beer and well worth the long agony of searching for.

jzeilinger, Nov 06, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -17.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle split with a friend. Served slightly chilled and brought up to room temperature. Big thanks to Twig86 for this,

Appearance: Cloudy bright orange in color with a two finger pillowy white head. Good retention. Also, as this settles, a decent amount of greenish blue yeast forms at that bottom.

Aroma: Really pungent pine notes assert themselves upfront. Some light grapefruit and floral notes too, but the pine notes from the hops dominate.

Taste: The pine notes from the hops really dominate and they are absurbly bitter. The initial buest is truly all pine. There is a slight caramel and buttery undertone here. The pine notes are just too much here for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. A bit sticky with a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: The ABV is well hidden, but the really piney hops make me think I couldn't have much more than a bomber.

Overall, a big and interesting IPA, but I felt slightly dissappointed. The pine notes in the hops were completely overpowering and bitter. I usually enjoy really dominate hops, but this profile was a bit different. Also, the buttery aftertaste was slightly offputting. Not something I would seek out again.

Gosox8787, Nov 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to friend and BAer chrizzle for this amazing beer!

A - Poured in my new Harpoon Leviathan glass. Mountain of dense, creamy, slightly off-white head that really sticks to the glass. Rusty gold in color and very clear. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the appearance.

S - Nothings but loads of fresh, raw hops in the aroma, ranging in character from grass clippings and pine to lemon zest and grapefruit.

T - As expected, tons of fruity hop taste up front followed by a pucker-inducing hop bitterness. Moderately acidic, as well. One of the most intricate hop characters in any beer! I only wish there was a bit more malt kick to back up all these hops.

M/D - Sticky-icky mouth and an aftertaste that lingers. I miss this beer so much after moving away from Indy. Thanks again, chrizzle, for the great beer and glass! Everyone must try this beer at least once.

SirSketch, Nov 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to spica66 and his friend for the hookup. From the brewery and drunk w/in a month after believed bottling date.

Bottle into 7oz glass, split 3 ways. From notes.

Appearance: Dark, hazy orange. A bit murky, nice head with good retention. It is a very appealing color.

Aroma is full of orange and bitters.

Solid mouthfull of hops. Hop bitterness is forward and present through the finish. There is a lot of flavor to work around, well balanced in that it's not too piney/fruity/floral. Other folks found more fruit notes, or the bitterness more forward (from the same bottle) so this is certainly a complex brew that nicely allows for a wide range of palate's to enjoy it differently.

Fairly bitter, solid carbonation, alcohol is upfront but not dominant.

Damn drinkable. I split this with my cousin and brother and both agreed each could have had their own bottle without much effort.

(35)

CooperEllis, Nov 05, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +12%

NOW I know what the hype is behind this beer....

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Dark orange with one finger dense head that left amazing lacing and had perfect retention. This one bursts with a huge citrus hop aroma with a sweet malty backbone. This beer has one of the best aroma's I've experienced to date...

Taste- Nothing but well balanced citrus BANG in this beer. Mango, grapefruit, and a piney, hoppy bit at the end that wasn't too much, but perfect. I want this beer to last forever...

Carbonation is right on with this one...good feel for sure. If i had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life this one might take the medal. There is so much going on this beer it's absolutely fun to drink. Well done FFF.

Macky20, Nov 05, 2010

Thanks to goodstrongbeer for this one. I poured from a bomber into a snifter. The pour is deep, clear orange with a sticky 2 inch head. The aroma is full of sweet citrus and tropical fruit. The beer taste like it smells, with grapefruit, and pineapple. It has a lingering bitter finish. Dreadnaught is full in body, well carbonated, and has a sticky mouthfeel. My expectations for this beer were very high and it fell a bit short.

bonkers, Nov 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Had this on 2010-11-01 in Mattoon, IL from a 22 oz bomber.

A - Golden orange with a 1-finger, off white head.

S - Very fragrent from a yard away. Sweet, like an orange creamsicle dipped in mango. Some hop floral and pine cuts through.

T - Very good. Plenty of citrus and floral hops. The tropical flavors aren't overcome by the caramel malt. There is plenty of bitterness, especially on the aftertaste. I'm glad it isn't as sweet as I would have expected from the smell. I taste the alcohol but it is subtle and compliments the brew. Well done.

M - Thick and moderately resinous. Medium carbonation. It does coat the mouth and leaves a lingering sweetness and bitterness, which I much appreciate. Not as prickly as a Sierra Nevada Ghidorah but leaning that way; again a characteristic I very much value. In the same league as Pliny the Elder, SN Ghidorah and SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest and Sculpin. That's saying a lot for me.

D - It's delicious. My style of DIPA. Wish I could get it in PA.

Tucquan, Nov 02, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -5%

A big thanks to TCgoalie for supplying this delicious beer!

Appearance: Poured from a 22oz bomber into a large wine glass. Color is a beautiful burnt yellow with a big-bubbled, white one-finger head. Good retention and lacing. There is some fairly evenly displaced carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell: Pretty spectacular aroma coming from this beer. Lots of sweet pineapple and some grainy malt. I am definitely picking up the peach and mango the label speaks of, as the hop aroma is more tropical and sweet than bitter.

Taste: The hops do not disappoint in the flavor as well. I was thinking that with the warmth of the smell, this one might be a touch on the malty side, but that was definitely not the case. The hop bitterness smacks your tongue around right from the word go and sticks with you from start to finish. Complexity and depth of flavor increase as the beer warms and result in a well-balanced, delicious DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, fairly bitter, with a well-hidden ABV.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a double. I'm not sure I could distinguish this from a lesser alcoholic beer if blindfolded while drinking. I could definitely down a couple of these, although I would then find myself on the floor wondering what had happened.

BuckyFresh, Oct 31, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

This is an old rating from a case of very fresh bottles.

Many, many fresh bottles consumed of this highest of worthies. Nose is breathtaking, brings you into a lush forest of pines, persimmons, and peahens. Explosions of grapefruit rind mingle with bright, vibrant pinecones and soft, light fruits to weave a delicious tapestry of a mysterious dream. Fresh indian spices seem to soar somewhere near the top, electric and exciting. Further underneath is a soft caramel and a quiet weeping. Vibrant, exciting, transcendent, and worthy of the highest respects and most solemn honors.

As I'm just entering some old reviews here I can't help but notice that this one read more like a poem than an actual review. I didn't really impress the level of prickly, bitter citrus here, which was mind-bending. The ultra fresh bottles of this from around 2007 were better than Pliny the Younger and were the best examples of this style I've had.

JAXSON, Oct 31, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -34.8%

From the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Got this in a nice BIF box from Sopernicus.

A - Hazy orange body with a white head on top

S - Big citrus hop flavor with what smells like a decent malt backbone to stand up to it.

T - Pretty balanced. A mix of citrus hops with a big malt backbone. Kind of boozy. Way more malt notes than I expected from this. Not nearly as hoppy as I expected

M - medium bodied, pretty good amoun of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. A decent beer but not an great one. sadly there are no dates present on the bottle so I have no way of knowing how fresh this is. I dunno the more I drink this the more let down I feel. Way too malty and boozy for a DIPA. I hope to try this on tap one day so I know what it tastes like fresh.

jpmclaug, Oct 30, 2010

Had this out of the bottle at PPBS a few nights ago, thanks Sean. Been wanting to try this one for a while, glad to finally have the chance. Poured into a tulip and served just south of cellar temp.

Appearance: Red-orange hued brew with a small but billowy white head, that dissipates pretty rapidly. Good carbonation and nice lacing as it fades to empty.

Smell: Grapefruity-citrus with pine, crystal malt sweetness, and a little booze. The hops open up more and more as the beer warms, but this is not your San Diego IPA, complete with huge amounts of dry-hopping. The beer smells like a good IPA, but there lacks this "WHAM" effect that Sculpin, most Alpine IPAs, Just Outstanding, Pliny, etc have.

Taste: Citrusy-sweet, with much more boozy-biscuit than I am used to in IPAs. Hops are not as front-and-center as I'd expect from a brew this style, but they are still playing an active role with the ruby-red grapefruit and pine esters. I wish the crystal malt weren't so present, though. I don't see how much it really adds to much beyond take away somewhat from the glory of the hop.

Mouthfeel: Resinous and bitter, finishing warm from the ABV. This is one of the few DIPAs that actually drinks above its ABV, and there is no mistaking this brew pushes 10%. Bitterness is active as it goes along, really marking its IPA territory.

Drinkability: Again, good, not great. Booze and alcohol, along with the sweetness, limit this from being too drinkable, but the hoppy, resinous IPA still buys back its enjoyability. In all, recommended if you can easily get it, but I would have a hard time trading too many San Diego IPAs for this one. If it were regularly available out here, I don't know how often I'd pick it up with the plethora of options in the DIPA department.

nomomentwasted, Oct 30, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a nice hazy golden color. a nice amount of bubbly head.

S.

powerful aroma of citrusy (grapefruit, mango, pineapple) hops and some nice caramelly malt smells. Maybe some subtle piney and flowerly hops in there as well.

T.

Just as aroma. A very hoppy and bitter taste in there. The sweet malts mellow it out a bit but still finishes a little bitter. Great tasting for a double IPA.

M.

medium bodied and perfect carbonation. bitterness and flavor really stays on your tongue for awhile.

D.

A great tasting DIPA, but 1 is about all I can handle at a time. Especially this being the first beer of the day for me. If you're into bitter beers, this is an awesome one.

cetherid, Oct 24, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Reviewed from notes on 10/7/10. Thank you, TCGoalie, for picking up this gem for me.

A: Pours a strikingly attractive golden-garnet and quite clear into a snifter, allowing an unimpeded view of swiftly moving carbonation bubbles. A little head disappears to leave an almost full cover of light khaki film. The lacing is top notch - very splashy, sticky, and fine.

S: Wow, this is a fresh tropical fruit bonanza. Loads of mango, pineapple, and melon smells pair with fresh peach and orange aromas. A slick hop oil smell is present, along with a sweet caramel malt smell. This bouquet just shouts, "FRESH HOPS!" This is a large highly enticing smell.

T: At the get-go, the caramel malt base asserts its delicious flavor, then the taste seamlessly transitions to heavenly tropical fruit and citrus hop yumminess. This sweet, fruity hop presence then rolls into a biting, bitter, high alpha-acid hop finish that lingers on the sides of my palate seemingly forever. The component ingredients of this beer meld together so well and result in just a scrumptious Imperial IPA.

M: So slick and smooth of a feel graces my mouth at first. It is oily in an oh so good way. This smoothness then perfectly flows into a crisp, drying bite of a hop finish, that lingers for soooo long. Dreadnaught is a hearty medium bodied brew with just about perfect carbonation.

D: I cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed this beer. I find it to be so drinkable for the style, with a perfect balance between caramel malt sweetness and delicious hop flavor. Combine that with an absolutely gorgeous color and how easily the beer goes down and you have an amazing creation. I will be stocking up on fresh Dreadnaught the next time I roll through Indiana. Cheers, Three Floyds!

TCHopCraver, Oct 23, 2010