Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,784
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a hazy yellow amber, with a thick two finger head with good retention, that trails and sticks nicely down the glass. Aroma was not as powerful as I expected, smells of pine, grapefruit, mango and citrus. Very very well balanced on the palate grapefruit, peach, even a little bit of strawberry, moderate hop bitterness and subdued caramel malt flavors. Oily but slick, does not leave a resinous hop mess on the palate, but it satiates the tongue nicely. Very drinkable, perhaps too much soo if that is possible, could get dangerous with these around on a hot summer day =). I do wish there was a bit more bitterness here, but I guess the beer doesnt really need it.

EDIT: 1/2 the way through my first bomber, this thing just keeps getting better and better

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. The appeance is a light copper with a 1/2 in of head. A wonderful delicate lacing followed.
This beer had me at the first sniff. The nose was full of delightful peach, mango, and grapefruit scents.
The taste was fell of the same sensations as the smell with the addition of a bit of pine. The malts stayed undercover for the most part, just offsetting bitterness enough.
The mouthfeel was full and gave the sensation of a well carbonated beer with no hint of alcohol. I felt like this was a round mouthfeel, full and without edges.
A very good DIPA supporting my afinity for this style and this brewer.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

A 22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a nice two-finger head that held nicely during my first few sips but then mostly disappeared afterward. Still, a lovely lace that remained for the beer's entirety. A deep, orange pumpkin color that doesn't get too dark for the style.

S: Pine, grapefruit and mango. A solid, middle-of-the-road aroma that doesn't err too far towards floral or fruity, but sits comfortably in between. Nothing that blew me away, but interesting enough for me to pursue.

T: Everything that a DIPA should be. Wonderful complexity of flavor that, again, rides between floral and fruity, yet does so with a solid hand in each court (rather than being boring and indecisively neither). Hoppy and bitter without the typical over-riding malty sweetness, and yet there is the perfect malt backbone to support everything. This is clearly the aspect of this bear that wins it it's renown.

M: Appropriately carbonated, though perhaps erring on the lower end. Certainly nothing that detracts from the taste, which is what lingers on the tongue well after that first sip.

O: While I may wish the head had more perseverance, the smell had more punch, and the mouthfeel just a hair more carbonation, the taste is literally perfect. While not decidedly floral, piney or fruity, it is varied without being indecisive. It also nails the malt/hop balance without being too sweet, which is a true rarity for DIPAs. Perfectly supported, wonderful flavor, and no over-riding malty sweetness... what more can you ask from your DIPA?

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

I believe this is just around a month old...

A- Pours a nice light orange color with a finger of sticky head and touch of lacing.

S- All citrus and pine. A lot of grapefruit and pineapple.

T/M- Fairly more malty than I expected upfront. Definitely has that standard bubblegum/caramel malt backbone I get in all FFF beers. Bitterness is all on the middle of the palate and provides a smooth transition to the palate ending with the citrus hop flavors. More pineapple and tangerines in the flavor; also resinous. Medium full body with very reserved carbonation- keeps it much more slick and oily in the tongue.

O- As soon as I poured this beer it was in your face and delicious. As it sat for the 20 minutes it took me to drink, all the flavors kinda settled and mashed together, leaving nothing too dominating. Very good DIPA but didn't quite live up to my expectations I have with FFF...

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a. pours a nice honey color and about a half to a one finger head.

s. this beer smacks your nose with a sweet malty citrus smell.

t. slight sweet malt at front of tongue, then slight hoppy bitter bite and finshes off with nice lasting bitter taste leaving you wanting more.

o. this is a good beer one of the best ipa's i have had, reminds me of a less bitter devil dancer.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Had this on-tap at Three Floyd's brewpub. Poured into a half pint.

A: Pours a dark golden apple color with a fluffy 1 finger white head. Has some decent retention and leaves a nice sticky lace on the way down.

S: I'm picking up some citrus hops right of the bat. A little combination of lemon and lime peels with an orange zest. A sweet malty caramel backbone shines through at the end.

T: Nice caramel malts from the nose shine through more on the tongue and are the perfect compliment to fresh citrus hops that flourish in this brew. It has a mild bitterness on the finish with a slight alcohol taste merged in there, but there is no burn.

M: Light bodied with a nice carbonation. Has a nice vine/grass and woody finish on the palate.

O: Another great DIPA from FFF. I love tasting the differences between each one and this one is no different. Great beer and perfectly balanced.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The color of honey, mostly clear, just the smallest hint of a haze. Nice cloudy white head, that seems to last for quite a while.

S: Bid pine smell with resin and some slight fruity smells. Classic American hop scents all the way.

T: The taste follows the smell. Huge resiny pine flavor, juniper, and some earthy notes. There is a nice sweet kick in the finish, while this is very heavy on the hops, the finish kinda balances it out. The alcohol very well hidden.

M: Medium heavy, with a slightly higher carbonation level. The carbonation balances out the body a bit. There is almost a syrupy, or oily texture to it.

O: Overall very enjoyable. Strong, hoppy, and bold. Enough malt that there is some balance, but not enough to detract from the hops.

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - An orange slightly unfiltered like appearance.

S - Super great hops smell! Very citrusy. Grapefruit strong in this one.

T - This is a perfectly balanced IPA. Very bitter (Which is what I love Most) But a sweet finish. Grapefruit is very present. Great lingering hop flavor.

M - Good medium body. Well carbonated.

O - Amazing IPA. Love the strong grapefruit notes.

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

22oz bottle, thanks to sobeleg. This one was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Dreadnaught pours a slightly hazy light orange. The white head eventually hits two fingers in height, and shows pretty good head retention. Outside of a solid ring marking the foam's high point, lacing is pretty spotty though. The aroma is a bit underwhelming in the intensity department, but it delivers plenty of tropical fruit notes, with some prominent citrus aromas present as well. There's a distinct, yet subtle caramel sweetness at the open of each sip. The bitterness it makes way for is remarkably restrained for a double IPA. The hoppy back end starts off as wonderfully fruity as the nose is, but midway through the trademark bitter grapefruit flavor of Centennial crashes the party. Whatever other hops are used for late additions do an admirable job of blunting the harshness of Centennial hops, but it does ultimately shine through a bit, to the beer's detriment. The body is impressively spry for a beer approaching double digit ABV, but the carbonation is just a little too dull. Dreadnaught's a decent imperial IPA, but I find it's 3 Floyds stablemate Arctic Panzer Wolf to be the clearly superior brew.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottle with no freshness date, poured into a pint glass.

Light orange in appearance with a moderate haziness and two fingers of egg-white head that leaves an intricate web of lacing as it rescinds. A bit lighter than most imperials I've had, but still looks citrusy sweet and delicious.

I could already smell this not a second after cracking the bottle. Whiffs of tropical fruit: serious peach, mango, pineapple and grapefruit plus some grass. Complimentary lemon rind and a pronounced malt sweetness that lends itself to strike a perfect balance.

Although the bottle claims this to be a "hophead's dream", they seem completely absent. I'm sure that's more of a freshness issue than anything, but I have no idea when this was bottled. Plethora of tropical citrus present throughout accompanied by copious amounts of caramel undertones. Little to no bitterness or alcohol burn, meaning this has been sitting around for a while, but still really enjoyable.

Medium bodied with a creamy, slick nature and ample carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and a little deceiving for the 9.5% ABV. Right on for the style.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, but the bottom line for IPA's is to get them fresh, unless of course, its DFH 120. I'd love to trade for a fresh one, but the problem is that it's luck of the draw as FFF really needs to get on their game with bottling dates. Great beer, but I'm sure its better right off the bottling line. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Crabbicuss and biglobo for tag-teaming to hook me up with a big want. No freshness info. Enjoyed on 08/14/11.

A - Slightly hazy bright gold color. One finger white head that leaves a good wall of lacing.

S - Holy hops batman. This is a grapefruit bomb. Big 'C' hops with citrus, grapefruit and mango aromas. Some sticky sweet malt is there in the background but the hops are the star.

T - Wow, this is excellent. Balanced up front with a nice grainy sweetness and huge hop bitterness. Through the middle you are slammed with grapefruit and citrus. Finish is nicely balanced with more of the great hop flavor, some sticky sweetness and a hint of alcohol burn.

M - Mouthfeel is exactly what I want in a DIPA. Creamy through the middle with lively carbonation on the back end and the flavor lingers for just the right amount of time.

O - Overall, this is an excellent DIPA, even better than APW, and up there with Expo and Pliny. Another A+ for FFF.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Thank goodness for Kentucky being only 20 minutes away. I was fortunate enough to find several FFF bombers on sale at DEPs in Fort Thomas (for all you Greater Cincinnati area people)

Poured this into a white wine glass. It pours a lighter, golden, hazy color with a nice creamy white head. This is lighter in color than most IIPAs I have had recently. The head dissipated after a few minutes but left a nice ring around the edge of the beer with a nice swirl of white across the top.

Let me just say that I was catching whiffs of this as I was pouring it. It smells delicious. One of the better smelling beers I have found. Rich, sweet, tropical fruits, followed by a hint of piney resins. There are hints of the caramel malts in there as well.

Hints of piney bitterness upfront, followed by tropical and citrus fruits (I see where they say peaches as well), along with the caramel malts in the middle that make you think its turning sweet. Instead of going sweet, it keeps bitters into the finish with a nice tinge of alcohol in the throat. I have to admit though, after about 5-6 sips, my taste buds are fading. Its not a ripper, but definitely has some bite to it.

Nice body for an IIPA. Medium with the right amount of carbonation.

This is mighty tasty and smells about as good as a beer can smell. If they could put this in fragrance form I would at minimum have it on a pine tree hanging from my rear view mirror. This is where its at...

4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle on a recent vacation to Indy Dunes.

This beer is absolutely amazing. Huge citrusy nose with a nice hefty yet mellow taste. Lots of mango and pineapple hops, with a very very subtle earthy undertone. Big creamy mouthfeel--almost like a cask pour.

Some DIPAs can go a little over board on the malt or spicy hops but this is very well balanced (for a hop bomb). It's been a while since I have had one of these but this bottle reminds me why I got into craft beer in the first place.

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

I’ve been in the craft beer world too long without having a Dreadnaught. Every time I go on a beer run, it’s staring me in the face; however, because of the price and the lack of a bottle date, I’ve decided to pass. Until now! I know this bomber’s fresh, so I forked over the $12. I love me some Three Floyd’s, and this seems to be one of their most beloved brews. Can’t wait to take a sip…

A: One of the best looking DIPA’s I’ve seen in a while. It pours a rich, shining gold that sparkles at every turn, with a creamy white head. There’s so much lacing, too – it’s a web of sticky foam. Even the head retention is pretty good. Very nicely done.

S: Extreme hoppiness – I like it. Big pine scents are first, followed by a cavalcade of fruit: mango, grapefruit, lemon, and tangerine. The malts are definitely overshadowed, but you can still make out a clean sugariness with every sniff. It’s warm and sweet, like a candy syrup. Every scent is grounded in freshness, making this nose nothing but refreshing.

T: Nice balance for such a hop-centric brew! The first tastes I get are actually breads, fresh from the oven. The malts have to have their say first, because they know that they’ll soon be overtaken by hoppy bitterness. Pure sugar and leafy grains hit at the same time, but, as two different but tasty flavors will do, they contrast each other nicely. There’s no getting around it; the malt backing on this beer is huge. I’m not a big fan of super malt-bombs, which is why I’m glad there’s a whole lot of hops to distract me. The bitters come in quickly, but never really break the smoothness of the palate; a testament to the strength of the malts. The finish, then, instead of being overly dry, is more a tongue-smacking sweetness mixed in with only a hint of hoppy astringency. There are certainly a lot of flavors at work in this brew.

M: Bubbly, smooth, just the slightest bit crisp. This is a thick DIPA, which works to play up the maltiness of the palate. Like I said, I’m not a fan of super malty beers, so the feel doesn’t really cater to my interests. Still, it's an appropriate amount of carbonation and viscosity.

O: Not my favorite Three Floyd’s offering. It has good flavor, but I’ve had better DIPA’s for the money. Still, it will satisfy any malt lover’s sweet tooth, while also catering to hopheads everywhere. Good beer, great brewery, just not exactly my style.

2.98/5  rDev -32.4%

Three floyds doesnt care about bottle date, so neither to I!

A: apricot ale with less than single finger of egg whites. This dissipates quickly to a broken sheet of the same. Ring lace. Excellent clarity.

S: biscuit malt, some citric hops. Hints of pine sol. Meh.

T: soooo, this beer quite sweet. Like honey and biscuits. Hints of pine. Not much else.

M: medium bodied and moderately hi carb.

O: I'm gonna guess this is old, but hard to tell. Until I've had a confirmed fresh beer, I have to say this beer is average.

3.38/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a Lost Abbey stem.

Pours a slightly hazy light-orange with a nice slightly off-white head that sticks all over the glass. Looks impressive. The aroma is a combination of piney, grassy and fruity (grapefruit, orange) hops. Smells good. Slightly grapefruit hop bitterness gives way to an abundant soapy bitterness balanced with some a bit of malt. The middle to finish of this beer is a bit off-putting with the soapy flavor and harsh finishing bitterness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the ABV and style with good carbonation. Overall I just don't get this beer. This is the second time I have had it and both times I don't think it works. The hop profile finishes fairly off-putting, though it seems close. I'll have to try this one at the brewery some time.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I brought this one to our IPA day party.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden yellow with a nice pillow of one finger tall white head leaving small beads of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of a mix of grassy and citric hops, tropical fruits; mostly grapefruit and pineapple; and some light sweetness from the lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Starts off with a nice dose of grassy hops quickly giving way to a mix of even more citric hops, pineapple, grapefruit, and the ever present caramel malt. I am glad I drank this one when I did as it seems like the sweetness is growing quickly, swallowing up the juicy hops. The finish is a mix of hop bitterness and caramel sweetness, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, hoppy, feel with plenty of it lingering through the finish.

O - When fresh, this one is hard to beat. It is very well balanced and has plenty of hops for even the most fervent hop head. I hope to try this one on-tap someday and really give it a proper going over.

3.78/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured a nice hazy orange hue with a fluffy white head that left some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is mostly citrus and floral hops with some malt sweetness which is mostly a caramel aroma.

Taste is sweet upfront balanced by a citrus and grassy bitterness. Very dry in the finish, but the hop flavor feels slightly faint.

Alcohol isn't a factor until this beer warms up. Easy drinking IIPA but I wish it was a little more aggressive.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A ~ a sunset orange, hazy like a summer day... with a nice pretty frothy cap

S ~ Floral, citrus hops... a pretty smell, if pretty could be used as an adjective for odors.. one that IPA drinkers I'm sure agree with...

T ~ Beginers touch of a sweetness which leads you down the yellow brick road of hop heaven... The grapefruit and floral notes splash your palate repeatedly...

M ~ medium bodied well carbonated IPA that was way easy to drink

O ~ I read someone's review stating how it was the cornocopia of hop flavors, or something to that affect. Agreed ~ definitely a beer to revisit.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a hazy consistency. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Great lacing.

S: A super-sweet, enticing aroma of tropical fruit, hops, and malt.

T: There's a lot going on here: A big shot of hops (though it's never overly bitter or dominant), caramel, peaches, and mango. Very balanced, complex and tasty.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a silky smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is one of the most likable, easy to drink DIPAs I've tried recently. Surprisingly subtle flavorful.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to orangesol for sharing this -enjoyed from tulip poured from a bomber.

The color is golden yellow with amber tinges similar to a golden peach, the cap is pale with rocky top and tight bead. The smell has a potent hop combo with faint pineapple blending with a slight floral and citrus combo. The intense aroma carries over into the feel with a good balance of hop bitterness and resins from the oily american hop with bitterness in the high range and a good amount of malt backing with moderate carbonation and dry alcoholic finish.

The taste is herbal and grassy up front with huge tangy tropical fruit flavor and mild grapefruity acidity with a slight pineapple and orange rind element. The grassy herbal taste returns with some slightly sweet malt and mellow alcohol in the semi-dry finish. Overall a pretty great beer, seems like a classic Imperial IPA flavor with moderate alcohol and plenty of bitterness, yet the aroma and flavoring hops are not neglected at all. This is well worth enjoying if you can get some fresh.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had shared a bomber of this fantastic IPA last month but I picked up a bomber a few weeks back on my trip to the brewery. This time I was able to enjoy the entire bomber by myself and I really wish that I bought several more! I poured the beer into my DFH snifter to find a dark hazy golden body with an one inch head that leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

This is a fantastic smelling beer dominated with the citrus hops with hints of pineapple and tropical fruits, did I mention the citrus hops are just mouth-watering. This is one of those beers that the aroma hits you as soon as you crack the bottle open.

Amazing flavor, I wish I could drink this one everyday. The hops hit you hard first but quickly giveaway to all of the citrus and tropical notes. You get the caramel malt towards the back but it quickly gives way to the bitterness. A lot going on, but blended so well together.

Creamy texture, so smooth and balanced and easy to drink. The alcohol is very well hidden and you don't notice it at all. Overall just a fantastic beer and easily in my top five overall and my second favorite IPA. A Midwestern beer that is confused on what time zone it is in.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

Vibrant orange color, one inch creamy head. Excellent Retention.

Wonderful citrus, floral aroma. Slight pine cent in the background.

Taste - Incredibly well-balanced. Sweet, orange peel. Light carbonation. Silky smooth.

Overall: Just a top shelf IPA. Second only to Pliny in my opinion. Right next to Hopslam.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Light copper with a one and a half finger head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, slight pine in there as well

T - Immediate wave of hoppy goodness! Orange marmalade, citrus, mango with just enough malt backbone to balance things out very nicely. Sweetens up as it warms.

M - Medium body, oily resinous hops engulf your mouth.

O - Very, very good IIPA! This one is worth seeking out and lives up to the hype! Quite expensive at $10 or more for a bomber but definitely one of FFF's best beers! Great beer to celebrate National IPA day...cheers!

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

A poured a dark golden with a nice finger head.

S Not as fragrant as other Imperial IPA's but still getting lots of citrus and sweet malts. Some pine.

T Sweet malt hits the tongue followed by the grapefruit/citrus flavor, followed by the bitter hops. Nice balanced beer.

M Medium body with nice carbonation.

O This is a great Imperial IPA. Well balanced.

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub