Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,721
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
tai4ji2x

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

thanks to natasharai for the trade.

22oz bomber with gold lowercase lettering (this is supposed to be one of the more recent batches). tasted in early april 2009.

pale amber with orange hue. faint haze. moderate, off-white head, gradually recedes to thin, wispy, almost creamy layer. some thin, webby rings of lace.

grapefruity aroma with touch of pine, plus an apple fruitiness underneath, then giving way to the caramel malt. finishes with more pine. all a bit subdued however.

taste: sweetly fruity, citrusy hops, with touch of pine, mixing with apple esters and caramel maltiness. resinous and piney hops return and give a moderate bitterness to counteract. note of honey in the background. finish is piney. all this said, it's not as fresh nor dynamic as hoped.

medium body, smooth, with light resins right before the finish. moderate carbonation, giving some body and fluffiness.

i believe this batch is just not as good as previous ones. my brother and i had fond memories of dreadnaught back at EBF '08. however, at EBF '09, we tasted it again, and were underwhelmed. seems to be confirmed here...

05-26-2009 07:43:41 | More by tai4ji2x
callmescraps

3.85/5  rDev -12.9%

My second FFF offering, and it's breaking in the brand new Duvel tulip (thanks to the lady friend for the awesome gift). While the label isn't as terrible as the Alpha King one, it's still pretty lousy.

Appearance - Very nice orange/amber color. It has an inch or so of creamy head, and some very nice lacing. Almost glows.

Smell - A burst of nice citrus hops up front. Some nice grapefruit and some definite orange rind. A hint of that burnt sugar caramel malt, and maybe some pine round it out. Smells nice.

Taste - Lots of bitter hopness up front. Less citrus and more pine, unfortunately, since that's not my favorite. Has a real sweet malt behind it. That pine bitterness just keeps coming, frankly. Can get a hint of that grapefruit, but it's pretty overpowered. The bitterness hangs around pretty fiercely.

Mouthfeel - Very nice and creamy. Not syrupy, which is a surprise. It's got a good, thick body.

Drinkability - Not the best. The bitterness just hangs around so intensely I can't picture wanting another.

This is a pretty good beer, but certainly not a favorite. It really brings a ton of hops, but it's so bitter that I really miss a citrus balance to sweeten it out for me. Just a ton of that pine blasting through everything.

05-25-2009 05:24:21 | More by callmescraps
alleykatking

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Buddy brought this over today.

A- Poured into pint glass. Pours nice clear deep yellow almost slight amber color into the glass. 1/2 inch off white head falls after a minute or so leaving nice lacing that clings to the glass.

S- Big citrus hop smell (pineapple, orange..ect). This is really present but later on there some malty backbone that finally shines through.

T- This is a hop bomb for sure. Tons of grapefruit and citrus hops upfront. This gives way to a clean grainy (maybe malts?) finish. There is another flavor in here but I can't really tell what it is. The malts balance this out pretty nicely and don't take from the hop bomb aspect of it.

M- Pretty nice mouthfeel. I would have to say medium mouthfeel. The hops cling to the taste buds in this beer letting it linger around much longer than one would expect. Nice carbonation leaves the beer floating over your tounge. Good beer in this aspect.

D- FFF is one of my favorite breweries hands down. This beer I could drink more than one of as long as I was at home or else had a DD if I was out. Good to the last sip and I love it!

05-25-2009 02:07:35 | More by alleykatking
dismal

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Poured a really nice orange color almost an orange yellow color with about a one finger head with ok retention. Leaves lacing down the glass. Smell is really good. Hops, fruit, grapefruit, citrus, and a bit of some piney smells come through. Really nice aroma. Taste wise is very similar, grapefruit and hops are pretty apparent. Kind of piney but not much and citrus. Surprisingly not very bitter if any at all, goes down really smooth. All I can say is it taste awesome. Has a real nice mouthfeel too. Overall a great IPA, probably would go up there with one of the best I've had yet. This was my first time drinking this one and it definitely wont' be the last.

05-24-2009 20:31:45 | More by dismal
KBoudreau66

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this brew via trade with Chrizzle. My first completed trade.

Pours a nice see through orange color with a golden tint. One finger of foamy off white head, that will leave lacing down the entire glass.

Has a very big nose with a couple of different fruity flavors that stand out significantly. Pineapple, grapefruit, lemon. A caramel malted backbone, with a hint of alcohol. A complex smelling brew.

I'm so glad that I got to taste this beer. The taste is just as complex and flavorful as the smell. Big pineapple and grapefruit flavor. It has a sweet caramel/bready malt backbone. Delicious.

Overall, I thought this beer was amazing. I thought that it wasn't going to live up to the hype that I had created in my head, but it really did a good job of stepping it up.

05-23-2009 01:24:51 | More by KBoudreau66
dwennis

4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Bright Yellow, Light white head

Smell: Floral and Hops of course, a touch of fruit as well

Taste: HOPS!!! with hints of some fruitinees

Mouth feel: Moderate carbonation

Great beer, wish i could get it easier, If anyone wants to trade for some more beermail me.

05-20-2009 16:51:49 | More by dwennis
Arbitrator

4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with Hexxed. Thanks!

A: Pours a translucent orange / amber color with an inch of fluffy, off-white head. It falls to a collar and light film on the brew, but leaves substantial washes of lacing and thick register marks down the glass.

S: Huge grapefruit, pineapple, and mango notes with floral hops as well. Coming in way behind is some caramel and biscuit malt.

T: Hop bomb, as expected. Lots of citrus here, and it's present in a largely tropical pineapple and mango combination. Grapefruit is found, but in lesser quantities, and it rivals the caramel and biscuit malt flavors for attention. Toward the end of the taste there is a grain taste that gives way to a clean finish with a lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied, with a slightly oily and resiny feel that coats the mouth and creates a slightly sticky flavor. A bitter aftertaste. Well-masked ABV, with no burn or even an indication of warmth.

D: This seems to be a poor value, at around $10 a bomber, but it is a good DIPA. I'll probably stick with something local, though -- it'll be cheaper, fresher, and taste just as good if not better.

05-19-2009 00:37:35 | More by Arbitrator
jdklks

Nevada

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%

A- dark golden moving into the amber range depending on the lighting. soft white head that hangs around for a little bit. nothing too special here.

S- Hops and fruit. citrus fruit. pineapple comes to mind. smells a lot like hopslam actually.

T- a little underwhelming at first. The hops dont come through as expected and there is actually more malt flavor than would be desired in a DIPA. This must be what people mean when they say they like their IPAs "balanced", but i dont get it. As i said, its malty, there is a hop bitterness, and lots of fruit flavors in between. It's good, but not what I expected.

M- This beer is insanely smooth on the palate. doesn't get much better in this department.

D- This drinks well, and i would definitely get it again if it were available in my area (but it is not).

05-15-2009 04:18:38 | More by jdklks
ibbjamin

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Paid $9.49 for a bomber from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI.

Perfect head of about an inch after pouring this thick beer into my snifter glass. Head is very white and moderately frothy. Head takes a while to dissipate, leaving minimal retention. Excellent lacing. Nicely carbonated. Transparent golden orange in color.

Big classic DIPA nose of grapefruit citrus hops. Best nose of a midwest DIPA I've smelled. Actually right up there and quite comparable to the West Coast leaders in its class. Fresh, clean and very hoppy. I could see some complain about the lack of balance here, but I rather enjoy a hopbomb here and there.

The beer has now warmed to 49°F and I take my first sip. First I notice the strong malt backing that I could not detect in the nose. Surprisingly well balanced actually. Puckering grapefruit hoppiness confusing my tongue to believe it is moderately astringent which I do not believe it actually is.

The mouth is very thick and creamy. One of the fullest bodied DIPAs I've tried. Some grit/residue remains on the tongue leading to the mentionable citrus aftertaste. Surprisingly refreshing and drinkable but watchout for that ABV which comes in at a hefty 9.5%.

Well done FFF, excellent representation of its style and as this is my favorite style of beer, I am quite the critic. This still is 1uped by the likes of Pliny the Elder and Stone Ruination, but there certainly is some stiff competition, especially coming from the West Coast.

05-15-2009 01:19:17 | More by ibbjamin
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Solid one finger beige head atop an orange-tangerine haze. A bit of sheet lacing and wispy retention.

The nose is the most exceptional I remember, an explosive burst of peach, mango and an array of wonderfully citrusy aromas, all hoppily inspired. Heavenly!

Taste is hoppy grapefruit, citrus zest, lime with a bitter aftertaste and malty impressions that develop with air and warming. Although refreshing and tasty, the mouthfeel is very dry and bitter with substantial body consistent with the style, anchored by a distinct maltiness. Alchohol superbly handled.

Overall, this is an excellent example of the Imperial IPA style, daunting and assertive with great balance. It's almost overpowering at times, novices should take this seriously, a masterful Three Floyds production hopefully not to be missed by the serious beer drinkers out there. Thanks, biegaman for putting this aside for me.

05-14-2009 13:21:34 | More by ThatWineGuy
VitaEBella87

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%

Served from a bomber, poured into a pint glass...

A: Bright, clear golden-yellow color, clean white head and nice stream of carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass
S: Aroma is heavily grapefruit and flowery, from the hops
T: Great balance of grapefruit, orange, and earthy hops taste. Hop flavor is definitely dominant.
M: Very well-balanced beer. Lots of hops, as expected, but they're not overpowering, and thus each sip was as easy as the one before it.
D: Enjoyable IPA with enough flavor to keep one satisfied, but not enough to come across too strong and make this one only drinkable in small servings. Was quite happy to drink the whole bottle, and didn't feel like my tastebuds were overwhelmed by the end.

05-12-2009 14:37:55 | More by VitaEBella87
HopHead84

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

I've had a few bottles of Dreadnaught in the past, but they've never tasted fresh, and I've always been disappointed. The freshness issue seems to be a common one with Dreadnaught, and it's one that could be resolved with the use of bottle dating. Anyway, this is a review and not a discussion about that. A trading partner recently picked this up from the brewery and I do believe this one will be fresh. Thanks a lot Deuane.

Poured aggressively into an imperial pint glass, the white head flares up to two fingers high, and recedes very slowly. The lacing left on the glass can only be described as profuse. It's left clinging everywhere to the glass. The beer is dark orange and transparent.

The beer does indeed smell fresh. My nose is greeted with the aroma of pine resiny hops, and bitter grapefruit. The malt backbone is substantial and it imparts a noticeable caramel sweetness. Only a little alcohol is noticeable in the aroma. Hoppy yet sweet.

The flavor has a medium-high level of bitterness with a lot of hop character. The oily hops do battle with the sweet malt backbone, and I'm inclined to say they win. The hops taste like bitter grapefruit, orange pith, and pine resin. The long finish is sweet and bitter, with a small amount of alcohol. The alcohol is very well hidden for such a potent Imperial IPA.

The beer is medium bodied with good carbonation and an oily, sticky mouthfeel. This beer is bursting with hop flavor. I'm really glad to finally try this fresh. I definitely see why people rep this beer. It's not as dry as the West Coast hop bombs I've come to love, but the beautiful hop character in the flavor and aroma are still present, and I enjoy the added malt sweetness that Dreadnaught has.

05-12-2009 04:18:32 | More by HopHead84
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.98/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks to BitterPachyderm for this bomber, poured into an oversized snifter.

Pours a bright copperish amber with a finger off-white head. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smells like a tropical fruit medley. Pineapple, orange, kiss of grapefruit, maybe the mango suggested on the bottle. Caramel malt definitely noticeable.

Tastes very fruity. The tropical fruits mentioned above, plus some peach and apple. Light sweet malt backbone. Gotta ask, though: where the heck is the bitterness? After smelling, I was hoping for something along the lines of Hop Stoopid (fruity but also with a significant punch of hops). What I got was the fruitiness without the hops.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel, but no bitterness in the finish (or anywhere else, really).

Overall impression: Is it possible that my palate is tainted from all the west coast hop monsters? I found this beer pleasantly drinkable, but entirely lacking in the "angry" bitterness I expect from a DIPA. Maybe it was an old bottle (hard to believe a beer this popular would sit around on store shelves going past its prime, though). If I have another chance to try it and have a different experience, I'll adjust my review/scores accordingly.

05-09-2009 18:43:48 | More by PDXHops
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

So we finally rented our condo after many months of stress so we decided to celebrate and what better way than with my first taste of a 3F which is a fresh Dreadnaught courtesy of MasterSki. Shared with my wife.

Paired with some delicious pizza from Como while watching the last 10 minutes of American Idol and all of Fringe.

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Appearance: Deep orange body. Hazy looking with a 1 finger head (more foam/lacing when i pour in my wife's glass) and very active carbonation.

Smell: Citrus fruit, more specifically fresh & ripe mango. Good piney hop smell but not overpowering the other aromas. Very good.

Taste: I'm hit with the fresh mango again and i literally get a mental image of eating a mango. A slightly sweet fruit taste with some peach fuzz as well. Some discreet pine and my wife says it has a peppery feel to it. The taste definitely more than backs up the smell.

Mouthfeel: Good balance between malt and hops but tends more to the malty side. Almost no bitter hops which disappointed me a little but nonetheless i can't argue that this is a greatly constructed brew. Very smooth and feels a little juicy. Bitterness opens up a little as it warms.

Drinkability: Insanely drinkable. ABV is completely masked by the taste which makes me want to keep tasting it. Would get more in a pinch for sure.

Overall: This is a supremely well-crafted, well-balanced beer that tends to the more smooth, malt-like feel. I love this beer and my only regret is i only had one. Seek this one out but make sure it's fresh!

05-07-2009 12:30:02 | More by papat444
ThaBobfather

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a very clear crisp orange/maybe copper color. It's got well-bodied cream/off-white head.
Smells briskly of hops, bitter malt, pine, rind, and maybe a little fruit.
Flavor is both strong and complex. Notes of bitter hops through the front with a mellowing sweet taste with undertones of maybe peaches.
The finish is crisp and the lasting taste of bitter and dark fruit lasts well.
Exceptionally drinkable and smooth.

05-06-2009 20:25:56 | More by ThaBobfather
aglose45

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Yetiman420 for his generosity; a truly great BA. Split the bomber with a friend and poured my half into my Duvel Tulip glass.

A: Poured light caramel-colored, minimal head, which was off-white, and there were some non-fermentables floating in the beer.

S: Pineapple and grapefruit up front, which smells absolutely delicious! There are also other tropical fruit smells in there - passion fruit maybe? There is a sweeter smell overall. Near the end of the beer I picked up some notes of piney hops, both regular and a sweet pine smell. This was very pleasant. As I took a few final wafts of the beer before I finished it I was to pick up some mango in the nose.

T: More of a tarty-citrus flavor - hard to decipher grapefruit from a tart mango before it finishes, clearly, with a tart grapefruit flavor. The finish is very bitter, which I enjoy thoroughly. Overall, the taste is more of a tart, citrusy, bitter taste, which is opposite from the nose's sweeter overall flavoring. There may even be a tart peach flavor in there as well. As the beer warms and I move through it I am picking up some orange flavoring. This beer hides the alcohol VERY well.

M: Light for an Imperial IPA. Good stickiness/ oiliness from the hops - heavy when I started the beer, but it lightened up as I moved through it. This is a very smooth beer, with great carbonation - perfect for the style.

D: This beer is very, very good, both in style and out of style. This is one of my favorite beers of all time, 3rd to be exact, only behind PtY and PtE, respectively. I wish I was in the FFF distribution area.

05-05-2009 16:49:47 | More by aglose45
VaTechHopHead

4.33/5  rDev -2%

A - Cloudy dark orange/light brown with a white head, retains well. Average lacing.

S - Not as much hop presence as you would expect from an IIPA but the citrus notes are very nice. The mango flavor is present along with lemon/orange. A little bit sweet at the end, maybe from the malt.

T - The hops and citrus flavors blend well. Again, not as much hops present as in most IIPA's but they are definitely there. The mango flavor is pretty awesome as well as the background citrus flavors at the beginning with the hops intruding very quickly. It has a slight raisin-y finish as well.

M/D - Not much carbonation on this one with a medium body, slightly on the syrupy/thick side. Very smooth though on the palate with not much trace of alcohol flavoring.

A very well done citrusy IIPA with complex flavors in the beginning, middle, and end. Wish I could have this available in my area :-(

05-05-2009 01:01:59 | More by VaTechHopHead
xpimptastikx

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

This will be the third time I've had this. Bottle thanks to dug this time.

A - Pours a golden/yellow amber color with a cream colored finger of head. Moderate lacing.

S - The second I crack the bottle you could smell the hops. Pine, citrus, floral, and earthy hops roundhouse to the nose. There's a decent malt backbone as well.

T - It's all there. Hops every which way followed by a caramel malt backbone. A tinge of alcohol finishes.

M/D - Light, but coats your mouth. Good carbonation and drinkability for the abv, not abrasive at all.

This is a freakin awesome DIPA that I'd love to have access to. Easily a top 3 DIPA.

05-05-2009 00:38:49 | More by xpimptastikx
Florida9

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Yellow side of amber. Two fingers of foamy head that reduces to a ring around the glass, leaving a nice bit of lace.

S: Incredible. What a smorgasbord of hopy aromas. I get everything out of this: intense floral, moderate citrus, and faint pine. Heavily perfumed.

T: The taste is almost as good as the smell. Starts with a dry grapefruit bitterness and then peppercorns. The malt finds its way through, but this beer (thankfully) is all about the hops. Finishes a little sweet, but then the tongue pricking bitterness returns on the very end.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Lively. Finishes dry, almost to the point of astringency.

D: This is my preferred style of beer and this is probably one of he best representations out there. For me, drinkability would never be an issue; I could drink these until I passed out. With that said, this is an assertive beer and it makes its presence known.

*I've had this on tap before and I swear the bottle is better.

05-02-2009 22:12:10 | More by Florida9
Domingo

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Man this stuff is good!
Pours a peach color that's somewhere between yellow and orange. Head's there but tends to be a thin sheen when you don't aggressively pour it.
It's hoppy...obviously. The main thing is the sheer amount of scents and flavors coming from those hops. Pineapple, pear, mango, citrus, pine, maraschino cherries, rum, and a surprising amount of malt. This is a flavor assault, but it's not really boozy at all. In fact, that 9.5% can catch up to you before you know it. Bitterness is there, but the malt's there to keep everything in order.
Goes down deceptively easy and I could see splitting several of these bombers with friends.
Definitely one of the best DIPA's around. I'd love to do a side by side with Maharajah as they're similar.
Anyway - get this if you ever see it. It's wonderful.

05-02-2009 15:57:52 | More by Domingo
Thorpe429

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to my lovely fiancee for picking me up a bottle from the newest batch.

A: Dark orange that is transparent, although with some haze. Good white head that leaves behind excellent lacing.

S: Lots of sweet citrus and pine hops. A myriad of citrus fruits defines the aroma of this one.

T: Again, lots of hops that pack in the bitterness and sweetness. A pretty good malt base backing everything up.

M: Fairly light carbonation with a light-to-medium body.

D: Quite drinkable. Not as much to handle as something like HopSlam, but not quite as tasty either. All around, definitely one of the top five DIPA's that I've had.

04-29-2009 00:03:50 | More by Thorpe429
schroederm

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

In a snifter:

One finger of off white head, nice sheeting lacing. Nice
copper/amber clear body. Smells sweet with hints of orange and grapefruit and a touch of green apple. Tastes sweet with excellent bitter balance. Tons of citrus. Grapefruit, dry and sweet finish. Aftertaste is tart and delicious. This is simply the thickest ipa I've ever had. Feels wonderful on the palate.
Excellent carbonation as well. A little bitter to be exceptionally drinkable, but absolutely delicious.

04-24-2009 13:32:26 | More by schroederm
ClockworkOrange

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

22 ounce bomber bottle split with psycohops. Poured into my One Guy shaker glass. Appears a cloudy deep apricot color with a full three fingers of super dense and creamy light ecru colored foam. A thick, sticky lacing is spackled to the inside of my glass as I sip my way to the bottom. Smell is full of citrus and tropical fruits such as orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and caramelized malts. Tastes of apricots, oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, resinous pine, all soaked in rich caramel. Alcohol? None to be found here. Rich and full bodied with medium carbonation. Great stuff!

04-22-2009 15:56:48 | More by ClockworkOrange
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a beautiful dull gold color with a slightly glowing haze. A white one-finger head quickly dissipates leaving thick heavy lacing. Smells of biting citrusy hops. First sip is all creamy grapefruit-citrusy hops. Super balanced with a huge sweet malt backbone to match the massive spicy and tangy hops. Creamy mouthfeel and perfectly carbonated. Does it get better than this?

04-19-2009 23:38:28 | More by ATLbeerDog
Buebie

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle courtasy of buckeysox!

Poured from the bomber into my Sam Adams Turbulator. A 1'' white head forms receeding to a colarof retention. Laces leaves thin streaking lace drapeage and plenty of rings.
The color is a transparent golden orange heu with a slight bit of chill haze.

The aroma is a big citrus bomb of pineaple, grassy hops, lots of citrus and orange peel, plenty of grapefruity hops and all around delicious sweet sweet nectar.

Carbonation tickle upfront with a juicy hop bursting and plenty of sweetness. Malt upfront before the hops take over. But once they do the malt is still allowed acess to my tounge. Lots of sweet juicy hops up front and into the swallow, grapefruit, oranges a bit of a lemon zest. Bittering moreso after the swallow with plenty of lang lasting hop linger. Finishing with still a touch of sweetness.
The mouthfeel is a crisp carbonated one with only a little tackyness to it, and also a little slickness.
No alcahol warming from the aroma. But as the beer has warmed I got just a mild hint of warming through the swallow.

Absolutly delicious!!!