Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,721
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
Domingo

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Man this stuff is good!
Pours a peach color that's somewhere between yellow and orange. Head's there but tends to be a thin sheen when you don't aggressively pour it.
It's hoppy...obviously. The main thing is the sheer amount of scents and flavors coming from those hops. Pineapple, pear, mango, citrus, pine, maraschino cherries, rum, and a surprising amount of malt. This is a flavor assault, but it's not really boozy at all. In fact, that 9.5% can catch up to you before you know it. Bitterness is there, but the malt's there to keep everything in order.
Goes down deceptively easy and I could see splitting several of these bombers with friends.
Definitely one of the best DIPA's around. I'd love to do a side by side with Maharajah as they're similar.
Anyway - get this if you ever see it. It's wonderful.

05-02-2009 15:57:52 | More by Domingo
Thorpe429

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to my lovely fiancee for picking me up a bottle from the newest batch.

A: Dark orange that is transparent, although with some haze. Good white head that leaves behind excellent lacing.

S: Lots of sweet citrus and pine hops. A myriad of citrus fruits defines the aroma of this one.

T: Again, lots of hops that pack in the bitterness and sweetness. A pretty good malt base backing everything up.

M: Fairly light carbonation with a light-to-medium body.

D: Quite drinkable. Not as much to handle as something like HopSlam, but not quite as tasty either. All around, definitely one of the top five DIPA's that I've had.

04-29-2009 00:03:50 | More by Thorpe429
schroederm

In a snifter:

One finger of off white head, nice sheeting lacing. Nice
copper/amber clear body. Smells sweet with hints of orange and grapefruit and a touch of green apple. Tastes sweet with excellent bitter balance. Tons of citrus. Grapefruit, dry and sweet finish. Aftertaste is tart and delicious. This is simply the thickest ipa I've ever had. Feels wonderful on the palate.
Excellent carbonation as well. A little bitter to be exceptionally drinkable, but absolutely delicious.

04-24-2009 13:32:26 | More by schroederm
ClockworkOrange

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

22 ounce bomber bottle split with psycohops. Poured into my One Guy shaker glass. Appears a cloudy deep apricot color with a full three fingers of super dense and creamy light ecru colored foam. A thick, sticky lacing is spackled to the inside of my glass as I sip my way to the bottom. Smell is full of citrus and tropical fruits such as orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and caramelized malts. Tastes of apricots, oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, resinous pine, all soaked in rich caramel. Alcohol? None to be found here. Rich and full bodied with medium carbonation. Great stuff!

04-22-2009 15:56:48 | More by ClockworkOrange
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a beautiful dull gold color with a slightly glowing haze. A white one-finger head quickly dissipates leaving thick heavy lacing. Smells of biting citrusy hops. First sip is all creamy grapefruit-citrusy hops. Super balanced with a huge sweet malt backbone to match the massive spicy and tangy hops. Creamy mouthfeel and perfectly carbonated. Does it get better than this?

04-19-2009 23:38:28 | More by ATLbeerDog
Buebie

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle courtasy of buckeysox!

Poured from the bomber into my Sam Adams Turbulator. A 1'' white head forms receeding to a colarof retention. Laces leaves thin streaking lace drapeage and plenty of rings.
The color is a transparent golden orange heu with a slight bit of chill haze.

The aroma is a big citrus bomb of pineaple, grassy hops, lots of citrus and orange peel, plenty of grapefruity hops and all around delicious sweet sweet nectar.

Carbonation tickle upfront with a juicy hop bursting and plenty of sweetness. Malt upfront before the hops take over. But once they do the malt is still allowed acess to my tounge. Lots of sweet juicy hops up front and into the swallow, grapefruit, oranges a bit of a lemon zest. Bittering moreso after the swallow with plenty of lang lasting hop linger. Finishing with still a touch of sweetness.
The mouthfeel is a crisp carbonated one with only a little tackyness to it, and also a little slickness.
No alcahol warming from the aroma. But as the beer has warmed I got just a mild hint of warming through the swallow.

Absolutly delicious!!!

04-18-2009 03:23:07 | More by Buebie
boralyl

Oregon

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours a big 2 fingers of fluffy off-white head. It sticks around for a long time and leaves tons of sticky lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer is a nice orange-amber color

S - A very pleasing, pungent aroma. Just like the bottle says, there is some nice mango, peach, and citrus in the aroma. There's also some definite sweet caramel mixed in there.

M - It has a nice light-medium body and is smooth and refreshingly clean on the palate.

T - This is a great example of a very well balanced beer. The hops and malts complement each other almost to perfection. A nice caramel malt backbone is present throughout with some citrus, and mango in the middle and finish. A little bit of a peach flavor at the end and there really isn't any bitterness. I couldn't taste the alcohol whatsoever.

A superb DIPA. I've had this on tap and from a bottle and can't really say one is better than the other. 3 Floyds makes some unique, and interesting beers, and this one most definitely doesn't disappoint. This isn't your typical grapefruit, bitter hopped up DIPA. It's balanced and squeezes all sort of flavors out of the hops. A must try for any DIPA fans.

04-18-2009 01:29:35 | More by boralyl
PrinceDarren

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bomber at room temperature. Distinct copper-orange with a moderate white head.

Strong resin aroma. Smells a lot like a wet-hopped ale.

Tastes like you'd expect- lotsa candied pine and hop resins - but with a bit of fresh pear on the finish.

Leaves a little tar on the tongue which soon dissipates.

Alpha King is one of my favorite beers. This was like Alpha King on steroids. Possibly too much?

This is an awesome drink. But for the money, I think Sierra Nevada's Wet-Hop Harvest Ale delivers a lot of the same pleasurable experience at a much cheaper price. I know they are not the same style, but I'm just saying, dollar for dollar...

04-17-2009 00:44:16 | More by PrinceDarren
amneziak

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Drank this while listening to Bill Callahan's album, "Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle."

Appearance: First let me say that drinking this beer has been a long time coming and now the time is here. Dreadnaught pours a very nice warm coppery orange color. It has only minimal cloudiness. There is an average amount of off-white/tan head that doesn't stick around for very long. A brisk swirl will give you about two fingers worth. There is a very good amount of gooey lacing on the sides of the glass that slowly bring their way back down to the rest of the beer.

Smell: Fuggin' A this is about the cleanest smelling IPA I've ever had the privilege of sniffing. I should have put on a diaper before opening this bottle because I think I've just shat myself. The hop presence is just phenomenal; enough to make you grin from ear to ear. I mean I'd almost sell my car for a case of this aroma. There is a heavy load of citrus and pine in this one, and it also contains the faint pineapple, grapefruit, and mango components that are prevalent in some of the more brilliant IPAs out there. Mainly, though, it's like sticking your nose in a freshly opened bag of pressure-sealed hops. I mean this just smells gorgeous - I know because I can't get my nose out of the glass. The anticipation of drinking this beer has now been elevated even more. Here goes...

Taste: Okay now that I'm up off the floor from fainting..! This thing is like a hop lover's wet dream. Right away there is an enormous amount of spiciness and bitterness from the hops. The flavor doesn't immediately hit you as strongly as the nose would suggest, but after swallowing it you can really taste the magnificence of this bad mutha (shut yo mouth). I definitely taste the hops in this one. You can definitely tell that there is a good amount of malt playing a supporting role here, but you really won't care. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped and probably the best $12 I've ever spent in my life.

Mouthfeel: The tongue just rejoices when Dreadnaught hits it. The bitterness is one that lingers for a little while and holds the flavors along with it. What makes this remarkable on the palate, though, is that it is just bitter enough, but it never becomes too much. After the beer has gone down your throat, it still hangs around and just radiates itself nicely on the palate.

Overall: So many people claim that their IPA is a hop lover's dream, but Three Floyd's ain't kidding. I've had Bell's Hopslam and Russian River's Pliny the Elder so I was really curious to know where this one stood amongst them. It's not as pineapple-y as the Hopslam and it's certainly more intense than the Pliny. This one fits very nicely in-between them all. To put it bluntly, Dreadnaught is stunning in every way and everything I'd hoped it would be. It epitomizes everything I love in a good double IPA: balanced; bitter; aromatic as hell; and drinkable beyond belief. A super fresh Hopslam is the only thing I've had thus far that can hold a candle to it. Thank God I was able to get a couple of these because I'd be sad if this were the only time I'd get to enjoy this beer for a while. Get divorced, sell your home, or take out a loan from a bank; but whatever you do get yourself a few bottles of this love. There is a reason why this is number one on many peoples' sites.

The Grand Ole Hopry

04-16-2009 01:55:49 | More by amneziak
Deuane

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

A -Hazy orange copper with a thick off-white head that held on strong and left lots of thick, clumping lace.

S-Big, fat, juicy citrus and pine hop notes with a beefy caramel malt backbone that supports without getting in the way. This is what hop aroma dreams are made of!

T-Big, fat GIANT hops with tons of juicy citrus, a bit of pine and some spicy notes for good measure. Sweet caramel malt pokes it's head into the party but does not vie for the center of attention. More it makes for a supporting guest.

M-Medium body, slick, smooth and creamy. Long lasting hop bitterness with a nice dry finish.

D-One of my very favorites! This brew fresh is about as good as they come. A DIPA dream come true! Would the fact that I sat and drank SEVEN pints in succession indicate it's drinkability? No, I didn't drive afterwards!

04-15-2009 00:41:37 | More by Deuane
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle into red wine glass - big thanks to Dev (buckeyesox) for this one.

Pours a beautifully bright clear copper, vibrant bright orange, with a soapy thin head and incredible lacing. Really disappointed in no head at all though.

Nose is intense, fresh, if a bit one dimensional - bright, intensely sweet citrusy grapefruit rind, mango, spicy, with a caramel underpinning.

Taste follows the nose. Big caramel up front, bit toasty, nice citrusy grapefruit note, and a big, firm underlying bitterness, prickly. I was expecting a much bigger dose of hop flavor from this one, but I feel like the caramel drowns it out a bit, leaving the bitterness only. No pine really, just the huge integration of citrus and caramel that leaves the two nigh inseparable over the bitter, prickly finish.

As a note, this one deserves to be drank warm, closer to room temperature. Much improved at that stage.

Mouthfeel was slick and syrupy, with a fluffy carbonation up front that eventually moves to a bit under-carbonated.

Drinkability is kind of iffy for me on this one - more emphasis on hop flavor and less on bitterness would probably bring it up a notch or two, but as it is I'd be happy with about a pint of this all told.

A nice beer, but it was dealing with expectations that were impossible for it to attain I think, having had a 2 week old Pliny a few days before. Dreadnaught is still a Prince, understand, but Pliny is still King. Apples and Oranges, yes, but when someone asks you what's your favorite fruit...

04-14-2009 18:45:14 | More by JohnQVegas
yeastsipper

3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Lugged this one home in a checked bag. Happy to give it a try.

Big, orange beer. Nice looking, though not much head. Smell exhibits tons of apricot and peach. Nice as it is different from a lot of the piney/citrusy west coast IPAs. A lot of what I would describe as perfume. Quite a lot of malt for a DIPA and very sweet. Beer is very balance as the bitter hops are balanced by the malt. I am sure this is a good quality, but I tend to like the hop bombs. Very fruity taste, but again, a bright floral peach/apricot rather than grapefruit. Mouthfeell and drinkability take a hit for me as Dreadnaught is a bit thick and syrupy, which is a huge knock in my book. Might just be a style preference, but there are a number of West Coast IPAs that I prefer to Dreadnaught. At $12 a bomber? Good stuff, still....

04-14-2009 04:59:34 | More by yeastsipper
mjl21

3.53/5  rDev -20.1%

Acquired via trade from alleykatking...thanks Josh! 650ml bottle poured into a snifter. No bottling info or abv info is given.

A-Pours a hazy amber, more on the orange side of the spectrum. On the first pour a small head is produced that goes quickly into a few bubbles around the rim. A second pour results in a ring that stays a lot longer with much better head retention.

S-Sweet malt hits first and is quite predominant. Citrusy hops jump in next, followed closely by their floral cousins. Booze can definitely be detected.

T-Tastes a whole lot like it smells. The sweet malt flavor hits first, followed by citrusy hops that taste like pineapple and fresh peppery mango. The booze is also hitting my palate.

M-Lower carbonation with a thick, chewy mouthfeel. It is fairly oily but is lacking in the bitterness factor.

D-Too sweet for me and lacking in the bitterness category.

I was very excited to try this beer and left feeling disappointed. After so much hype I felt I was getting an incredible DIPA and I felt I was left with more of a malt bomb. In fairness, I could not date the freshness of this bottle. I would love to try this fresh from the source in order to gauge a true opinion, but until then I will be glad to have Pliny and Hop Stoopid readily available.

04-12-2009 06:11:50 | More by mjl21
everetends

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev -2%

22 oz bomber thanks to the great spointon for a crack at this brew. I have heard a lot about this brew and all has been good, so why not give it a shot. The artwork is crazy in typical FFF fashion. Served this one up in my shaped DFH pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty dark orange that has some reddish brown hues to it. Held to the light, it comes through as a more yellow to really light orange color. The pour got me a little over a finger of pristine white head. The retention is just ok, falling to a semi-thick collar. The head that remains does create some really sticky lacing and really coats the glass well. The only thing that frightens me about this beer is the fact that I can see little to none carbonation activity. Freaks me out a bit. Still a good looking brew.

S: Smell is . . . well, quite hoppy. Getting a lot of grapefruit rind coming out here at th start. Then comes a really resiny pine, I mean some heavy pine. This actually smells like freshly cut pine. Then there is a slight medicinal and astringent smell. There is a slight presence of caramel, malty sweetness poking through, but its not toning down these hops. Very nice.

T: Yet again those hops shine. The pine is the initial flavor though. Lots of resin and green pine flavor. Then comes some of that citrusy and puckering grapefruit presence. That medicinal quality does come in a bit heavy in the flavor, but it works to cool down that pine and grapefruit. The malt once again pokes its head in to see whats going on but doesn't really contribute to the party. Just a touch of sweet caramel that soothes and rubs up against these hops. Really helps here.

M: Medium in body with a pretty slick and oily feel. Really coats with some oily quality. Carbonation is pretty light here which is a bit weird but it works. Makes this beer feel a little heavier, but still remains refreshing. This beer finishes pretty dry with a bit of ABV heat resting on the palate and at the back of the throat. Aftertaste is that medicinal hops presence.

D: This beer is pretty damned good actually. Its pretty much all hops, and its a hops lover's dream for sure. The flavor remains balanced as far as crazily hopped beers go. By balanced I mean the hops are balanced and really meld together well. The malt really doesn't stand a chance at all. Everything about this beer says quality and is really enjoyable. Easy drinking and actually sits pretty light in the stomach. Fine beer.

04-07-2009 03:31:04 | More by everetends
Nesued

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz amber bottle.

Appearance - Orange/amber in color. Clear with a lively carbonation. A huge ivory head formed upon the initial pour. Medium bubbles which leave a rocky meringue-like surface. Ample lacing.

Smell - The inital aroma was the typical hop/citus nose, but unlike a majority of DIPAs I actually find a large malty aroma as well. A bit of a biscuit aroma as well, along with a caramel presentation. The hop presence was not an overpowering piney/citrusy nose, once you got past the intial presentation.

Taste - The malty sweetness is actually the first thing that hits me with this beer, and I'm glad for it. The opening is all about a malt balance that I have not often found in a DIPA. The finish is impressively dry, due to the hop bite finish.

Mouthfeel - Very thick and chewy. Lots of sweet malt "sticky" leftovers as well. The carbonation is right on with this one. Good amount to assist in slinging this around your mouth.

Drinkability - I liked this better than Pliny the Elder. There, I've said it. I was quite impressed with the balance of this DIPA. It wasn't "all about the hops" and this takes alot of balls to still brew this one strong. Well done.

04-06-2009 23:16:34 | More by Nesued
nicnut45

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: This beer is a deep amber color with a bit of red thrown in. Not a lot of head as you pour. Thin white patchy head and a nice glob of lacing that sticks to the side of the glass when you take a swig.

Smell: This is awesome, plenty of very fresh citrus hops with a little malt smell in the background. Some other exotic fruit smell I cant quite put a finger on.

Taste: A highly floral bitterness from the hops followed by a bit of sweetness. There is the obvious grapefruit citrus taste. I like this aside from most dipa's because it is not too sweet like a lot of other dipa's are.

Mouthfeel: Thick and lightly carbonated a bit syrupy nice feel to it.

Drinkability: This is a delicious beer but I would refrain from pounding like frat boy as it is a more of bitter dipa. This is more of a sipper.

04-06-2009 01:00:24 | More by nicnut45
jfunkk79

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

This was my least favorite of the Three Floyds I've had. It's got a very nice citrusy aroma but the flavor doesn't hold up to other DIPAs I've had. Had a pretty malty flavor and mouthfeel, more than I'm looking for in this style. Still decent but not really my thing.

04-05-2009 20:29:32 | More by jfunkk79
twelvsies

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bomber, capped off our night of tasting Three Floyds beer, thanks to alleykatking. Vibrant hazed orange, thick head, nice lacing. There's really a lot going on with this beer. Yes, hops a' plenty in the nose and up front in the taste, fruity and floral, but there's a huge sweet malt character to this beer as well. It almost takes over for the hops, providing a sweet creaminess under the hops. Almost like vanilla ice cream. The flavors really battle each other here a bit, and I'm not sure if I could say this beer is well balanced, but it makes for an interesting brew, and a nice change next to the many super piney IPAs out there. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. A little hot perhaps, but this is a great beer. Unique for the style, and that's always a plus in my book.

04-05-2009 15:44:04 | More by twelvsies
kinnaird

3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!

A hard pour into my pint glass failed to give me much of a head. The resulting thin head disappeared in less than a minute, leaving a white ring with sparse larger bubbles from the pour. Low carbonation. A hazy tangerine body shows itself from the unfiltered nature of this beer. I'm cool with that because I like yeast in my alcoholic treats.

There's a strong hop presence, but there's so much malt, it contributes a substantial sweetness to the aroma that I notice immediately. I also smell sweet oranges and tangerines combined with a bit of diacetyl.

Tastes pretty much as I smelled. Strong hops infusion with a buttery, fruity, high malt body. I like it, but I don't love it. This does all make for a silky smooth body though. I really enjoy the low carbonation and massive malt combination. This really glides right over my tongue.

I like this DIPA but I'm not excited about it. Maybe I'm just used to the San Diego Style DIPAs so readily available in Orange County. The mouthfeel of Dreadnaught is a feel I love on high gravity beers that are malt forward, but I think this beer would benefit from the crispness of higher carbonation. I see this beer as a good candidate for aging into a remarkable barleywine. Would I buy more if it were available? Perhaps. If you're a hophead though, it's one to add to the list.

04-03-2009 04:30:21 | More by kinnaird
ironlung

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Bomber into AB tulip. Thanks abbddull for the awesome trade!

Looks a hazy amber with a pencil-thin head that makes an exit as soon as the pour is complete. Smell is lovely, sweet carmel malt with just the right amount of citrus hops to let you know this is an IPA!
I love this beer's taste. It sports a perfect balance to it that eludes my humble discriptors. It's balanced but still has that hop kick to it that I adore. The alchohol is also hidden very well. So well in fact I'm having a hard time believeing this is a 9+%er(wasn't marked anywhere on the bottle). It's nice to try this, as I can compare it to nothing we get here out west(mabye a stretch would be double-dog...mabye)
Glad I sought this gem out and thanks again abbddull for getting this one off my wants-list!

04-03-2009 02:06:35 | More by ironlung
abfraser

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a beautiful dark orange with golden hues and a huge frothy white head. Nice lacing. Good looking beer

S: Tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus and piney hops. This smells divine.

T/M: Excellent. Everything on the smell, with citrus flavors and piney hops prominent. This one shares characteristics with the Russian River Pliney's in that it's exceptionally well balanced and the bitterness on the finish is muted. Nothing worse than bitterness that just blows away everything.

D: Hides its alcohol extremely well. The lack of huge bitterness from finishing hops on the end also adds to the drinkability.

An amazing double IPA, up there with the RRBC Pliney, which had previously been my benchmarks. I can see why this one is widely acclaimed.

04-03-2009 01:21:13 | More by abfraser
Sean9689

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Love this beer. On tap @ FFF's. Pours medium-dark orange in color with a white head. Smells fruity/citrus with a good amount of hops. Right off the bat, you are hit over the head with that wonderful hoppy taste and a slight amount of citrus taste. Soooo fresh! Good mouthfeel, medium carbonation, very clean finish. This beer beats the crap out of your taste buds so 1 bomber or a couple of tulips towards the end of the night is a good idea.

04-02-2009 23:12:19 | More by Sean9689
mikecharley

3.8/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to keithricker for this one in a trade. I've been looking forward to trying this for a while.

Pours a slightly straw-y copper color with minimal head. The bubbles are very slowly climbing up the sides of the glass, which gives it a great effect. The lacing left is really nice.

The nose is of super citrus! Lots of mingling scents, including oranges, grapefruit, lemon/lime, pineapple, along with the regular, piney, hoppy aromas. Really nice smell.

The citrus that was in the nose is not nearly as evident in the taste (unfortunatly). There is some citrus, but it is mostly piney, bittery, hops. Has a decent hop backbone, and is drying in the finish. The drying aspect is the nicest part of the taste, IMO.

This beer is extremely bitter, so dont think that more than one bomber is a great idea, unless you dont want to be able to taste for a week.

04-01-2009 23:05:14 | More by mikecharley
drgonzo3705

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a bright copper color with a one inch fluffy white head that leaves just the right amount of lacing in the glass.

S: Very piney with a bit of a floral undertone. Smells very hoppy.

T: A bit more floral in the taste but still pretty piney.

M: Medium bodied with good amount of carbonation and hops. Leaves a nice hop oiliness in your mouth too.

D: Pretty good for a DIPA. I could get down a bomber very easily!

04-01-2009 03:53:39 | More by drgonzo3705
alovesupreme

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

An absolutely beautiful Dark orange, or amber color with a big white fluffy head that stuck around for a short while.
Mango, orange and grapefruit dominate the aroma, with some alcohol and bready malt character filling in the rest.
Big and juicy. Lots of tropical fruit, mango, and ripe citrus mostly grapefruit but orange also makes an appearance. A little bready character fills in the holes and once again but to a lesser extent alcohol character is noticeable.
Excellent mouthfeel. Big, juicy and wet, with subtle dry finish from the hop. Great carbonation with an oily syrupy body.
All in all a fantastic beer. One of the best double IPA that I have had the opportunity to drench my tongue with.

04-01-2009 03:18:09 | More by alovesupreme