Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,850
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,383 | Reviews: 1,681
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Had this on-tap at Three Floyd's brewpub. Poured into a half pint.

A: Pours a dark golden apple color with a fluffy 1 finger white head. Has some decent retention and leaves a nice sticky lace on the way down.

S: I'm picking up some citrus hops right of the bat. A little combination of lemon and lime peels with an orange zest. A sweet malty caramel backbone shines through at the end.

T: Nice caramel malts from the nose shine through more on the tongue and are the perfect compliment to fresh citrus hops that flourish in this brew. It has a mild bitterness on the finish with a slight alcohol taste merged in there, but there is no burn.

M: Light bodied with a nice carbonation. Has a nice vine/grass and woody finish on the palate.

O: Another great DIPA from FFF. I love tasting the differences between each one and this one is no different. Great beer and perfectly balanced.

4.36/5  rDev -1.1%

A: The color of honey, mostly clear, just the smallest hint of a haze. Nice cloudy white head, that seems to last for quite a while.

S: Bid pine smell with resin and some slight fruity smells. Classic American hop scents all the way.

T: The taste follows the smell. Huge resiny pine flavor, juniper, and some earthy notes. There is a nice sweet kick in the finish, while this is very heavy on the hops, the finish kinda balances it out. The alcohol very well hidden.

M: Medium heavy, with a slightly higher carbonation level. The carbonation balances out the body a bit. There is almost a syrupy, or oily texture to it.

O: Overall very enjoyable. Strong, hoppy, and bold. Enough malt that there is some balance, but not enough to detract from the hops.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - An orange slightly unfiltered like appearance.

S - Super great hops smell! Very citrusy. Grapefruit strong in this one.

T - This is a perfectly balanced IPA. Very bitter (Which is what I love Most) But a sweet finish. Grapefruit is very present. Great lingering hop flavor.

M - Good medium body. Well carbonated.

O - Amazing IPA. Love the strong grapefruit notes.

3.74/5  rDev -15.2%

22oz bottle, thanks to sobeleg. This one was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Dreadnaught pours a slightly hazy light orange. The white head eventually hits two fingers in height, and shows pretty good head retention. Outside of a solid ring marking the foam's high point, lacing is pretty spotty though. The aroma is a bit underwhelming in the intensity department, but it delivers plenty of tropical fruit notes, with some prominent citrus aromas present as well. There's a distinct, yet subtle caramel sweetness at the open of each sip. The bitterness it makes way for is remarkably restrained for a double IPA. The hoppy back end starts off as wonderfully fruity as the nose is, but midway through the trademark bitter grapefruit flavor of Centennial crashes the party. Whatever other hops are used for late additions do an admirable job of blunting the harshness of Centennial hops, but it does ultimately shine through a bit, to the beer's detriment. The body is impressively spry for a beer approaching double digit ABV, but the carbonation is just a little too dull. Dreadnaught's a decent imperial IPA, but I find it's 3 Floyds stablemate Arctic Panzer Wolf to be the clearly superior brew.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle with no freshness date, poured into a pint glass.

Light orange in appearance with a moderate haziness and two fingers of egg-white head that leaves an intricate web of lacing as it rescinds. A bit lighter than most imperials I've had, but still looks citrusy sweet and delicious.

I could already smell this not a second after cracking the bottle. Whiffs of tropical fruit: serious peach, mango, pineapple and grapefruit plus some grass. Complimentary lemon rind and a pronounced malt sweetness that lends itself to strike a perfect balance.

Although the bottle claims this to be a "hophead's dream", they seem completely absent. I'm sure that's more of a freshness issue than anything, but I have no idea when this was bottled. Plethora of tropical citrus present throughout accompanied by copious amounts of caramel undertones. Little to no bitterness or alcohol burn, meaning this has been sitting around for a while, but still really enjoyable.

Medium bodied with a creamy, slick nature and ample carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and a little deceiving for the 9.5% ABV. Right on for the style.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, but the bottom line for IPA's is to get them fresh, unless of course, its DFH 120. I'd love to trade for a fresh one, but the problem is that it's luck of the draw as FFF really needs to get on their game with bottling dates. Great beer, but I'm sure its better right off the bottling line. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Crabbicuss and biglobo for tag-teaming to hook me up with a big want. No freshness info. Enjoyed on 08/14/11.

A - Slightly hazy bright gold color. One finger white head that leaves a good wall of lacing.

S - Holy hops batman. This is a grapefruit bomb. Big 'C' hops with citrus, grapefruit and mango aromas. Some sticky sweet malt is there in the background but the hops are the star.

T - Wow, this is excellent. Balanced up front with a nice grainy sweetness and huge hop bitterness. Through the middle you are slammed with grapefruit and citrus. Finish is nicely balanced with more of the great hop flavor, some sticky sweetness and a hint of alcohol burn.

M - Mouthfeel is exactly what I want in a DIPA. Creamy through the middle with lively carbonation on the back end and the flavor lingers for just the right amount of time.

O - Overall, this is an excellent DIPA, even better than APW, and up there with Expo and Pliny. Another A+ for FFF.

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%

Thank goodness for Kentucky being only 20 minutes away. I was fortunate enough to find several FFF bombers on sale at DEPs in Fort Thomas (for all you Greater Cincinnati area people)

Poured this into a white wine glass. It pours a lighter, golden, hazy color with a nice creamy white head. This is lighter in color than most IIPAs I have had recently. The head dissipated after a few minutes but left a nice ring around the edge of the beer with a nice swirl of white across the top.

Let me just say that I was catching whiffs of this as I was pouring it. It smells delicious. One of the better smelling beers I have found. Rich, sweet, tropical fruits, followed by a hint of piney resins. There are hints of the caramel malts in there as well.

Hints of piney bitterness upfront, followed by tropical and citrus fruits (I see where they say peaches as well), along with the caramel malts in the middle that make you think its turning sweet. Instead of going sweet, it keeps bitters into the finish with a nice tinge of alcohol in the throat. I have to admit though, after about 5-6 sips, my taste buds are fading. Its not a ripper, but definitely has some bite to it.

Nice body for an IIPA. Medium with the right amount of carbonation.

This is mighty tasty and smells about as good as a beer can smell. If they could put this in fragrance form I would at minimum have it on a pine tree hanging from my rear view mirror. This is where its at...

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle on a recent vacation to Indy Dunes.

This beer is absolutely amazing. Huge citrusy nose with a nice hefty yet mellow taste. Lots of mango and pineapple hops, with a very very subtle earthy undertone. Big creamy mouthfeel--almost like a cask pour.

Some DIPAs can go a little over board on the malt or spicy hops but this is very well balanced (for a hop bomb). It's been a while since I have had one of these but this bottle reminds me why I got into craft beer in the first place.

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

I’ve been in the craft beer world too long without having a Dreadnaught. Every time I go on a beer run, it’s staring me in the face; however, because of the price and the lack of a bottle date, I’ve decided to pass. Until now! I know this bomber’s fresh, so I forked over the $12. I love me some Three Floyd’s, and this seems to be one of their most beloved brews. Can’t wait to take a sip…

A: One of the best looking DIPA’s I’ve seen in a while. It pours a rich, shining gold that sparkles at every turn, with a creamy white head. There’s so much lacing, too – it’s a web of sticky foam. Even the head retention is pretty good. Very nicely done.

S: Extreme hoppiness – I like it. Big pine scents are first, followed by a cavalcade of fruit: mango, grapefruit, lemon, and tangerine. The malts are definitely overshadowed, but you can still make out a clean sugariness with every sniff. It’s warm and sweet, like a candy syrup. Every scent is grounded in freshness, making this nose nothing but refreshing.

T: Nice balance for such a hop-centric brew! The first tastes I get are actually breads, fresh from the oven. The malts have to have their say first, because they know that they’ll soon be overtaken by hoppy bitterness. Pure sugar and leafy grains hit at the same time, but, as two different but tasty flavors will do, they contrast each other nicely. There’s no getting around it; the malt backing on this beer is huge. I’m not a big fan of super malt-bombs, which is why I’m glad there’s a whole lot of hops to distract me. The bitters come in quickly, but never really break the smoothness of the palate; a testament to the strength of the malts. The finish, then, instead of being overly dry, is more a tongue-smacking sweetness mixed in with only a hint of hoppy astringency. There are certainly a lot of flavors at work in this brew.

M: Bubbly, smooth, just the slightest bit crisp. This is a thick DIPA, which works to play up the maltiness of the palate. Like I said, I’m not a fan of super malty beers, so the feel doesn’t really cater to my interests. Still, it's an appropriate amount of carbonation and viscosity.

O: Not my favorite Three Floyd’s offering. It has good flavor, but I’ve had better DIPA’s for the money. Still, it will satisfy any malt lover’s sweet tooth, while also catering to hopheads everywhere. Good beer, great brewery, just not exactly my style.

2.96/5  rDev -32.9%

Three floyds doesnt care about bottle date, so neither to I!

A: apricot ale with less than single finger of egg whites. This dissipates quickly to a broken sheet of the same. Ring lace. Excellent clarity.

S: biscuit malt, some citric hops. Hints of pine sol. Meh.

T: soooo, this beer quite sweet. Like honey and biscuits. Hints of pine. Not much else.

M: medium bodied and moderately hi carb.

O: I'm gonna guess this is old, but hard to tell. Until I've had a confirmed fresh beer, I have to say this beer is average.

3.43/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured into a Lost Abbey stem.

Pours a slightly hazy light-orange with a nice slightly off-white head that sticks all over the glass. Looks impressive. The aroma is a combination of piney, grassy and fruity (grapefruit, orange) hops. Smells good. Slightly grapefruit hop bitterness gives way to an abundant soapy bitterness balanced with some a bit of malt. The middle to finish of this beer is a bit off-putting with the soapy flavor and harsh finishing bitterness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the ABV and style with good carbonation. Overall I just don't get this beer. This is the second time I have had it and both times I don't think it works. The hop profile finishes fairly off-putting, though it seems close. I'll have to try this one at the brewery some time.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

I brought this one to our IPA day party.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden yellow with a nice pillow of one finger tall white head leaving small beads of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of a mix of grassy and citric hops, tropical fruits; mostly grapefruit and pineapple; and some light sweetness from the lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Starts off with a nice dose of grassy hops quickly giving way to a mix of even more citric hops, pineapple, grapefruit, and the ever present caramel malt. I am glad I drank this one when I did as it seems like the sweetness is growing quickly, swallowing up the juicy hops. The finish is a mix of hop bitterness and caramel sweetness, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, hoppy, feel with plenty of it lingering through the finish.

O - When fresh, this one is hard to beat. It is very well balanced and has plenty of hops for even the most fervent hop head. I hope to try this one on-tap someday and really give it a proper going over.

3.8/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a nice hazy orange hue with a fluffy white head that left some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is mostly citrus and floral hops with some malt sweetness which is mostly a caramel aroma.

Taste is sweet upfront balanced by a citrus and grassy bitterness. Very dry in the finish, but the hop flavor feels slightly faint.

Alcohol isn't a factor until this beer warms up. Easy drinking IIPA but I wish it was a little more aggressive.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A ~ a sunset orange, hazy like a summer day... with a nice pretty frothy cap

S ~ Floral, citrus hops... a pretty smell, if pretty could be used as an adjective for odors.. one that IPA drinkers I'm sure agree with...

T ~ Beginers touch of a sweetness which leads you down the yellow brick road of hop heaven... The grapefruit and floral notes splash your palate repeatedly...

M ~ medium bodied well carbonated IPA that was way easy to drink

O ~ I read someone's review stating how it was the cornocopia of hop flavors, or something to that affect. Agreed ~ definitely a beer to revisit.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a hazy consistency. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Great lacing.

S: A super-sweet, enticing aroma of tropical fruit, hops, and malt.

T: There's a lot going on here: A big shot of hops (though it's never overly bitter or dominant), caramel, peaches, and mango. Very balanced, complex and tasty.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a silky smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is one of the most likable, easy to drink DIPAs I've tried recently. Surprisingly subtle flavorful.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to orangesol for sharing this -enjoyed from tulip poured from a bomber.

The color is golden yellow with amber tinges similar to a golden peach, the cap is pale with rocky top and tight bead. The smell has a potent hop combo with faint pineapple blending with a slight floral and citrus combo. The intense aroma carries over into the feel with a good balance of hop bitterness and resins from the oily american hop with bitterness in the high range and a good amount of malt backing with moderate carbonation and dry alcoholic finish.

The taste is herbal and grassy up front with huge tangy tropical fruit flavor and mild grapefruity acidity with a slight pineapple and orange rind element. The grassy herbal taste returns with some slightly sweet malt and mellow alcohol in the semi-dry finish. Overall a pretty great beer, seems like a classic Imperial IPA flavor with moderate alcohol and plenty of bitterness, yet the aroma and flavoring hops are not neglected at all. This is well worth enjoying if you can get some fresh.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had shared a bomber of this fantastic IPA last month but I picked up a bomber a few weeks back on my trip to the brewery. This time I was able to enjoy the entire bomber by myself and I really wish that I bought several more! I poured the beer into my DFH snifter to find a dark hazy golden body with an one inch head that leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

This is a fantastic smelling beer dominated with the citrus hops with hints of pineapple and tropical fruits, did I mention the citrus hops are just mouth-watering. This is one of those beers that the aroma hits you as soon as you crack the bottle open.

Amazing flavor, I wish I could drink this one everyday. The hops hit you hard first but quickly giveaway to all of the citrus and tropical notes. You get the caramel malt towards the back but it quickly gives way to the bitterness. A lot going on, but blended so well together.

Creamy texture, so smooth and balanced and easy to drink. The alcohol is very well hidden and you don't notice it at all. Overall just a fantastic beer and easily in my top five overall and my second favorite IPA. A Midwestern beer that is confused on what time zone it is in.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Vibrant orange color, one inch creamy head. Excellent Retention.

Wonderful citrus, floral aroma. Slight pine cent in the background.

Taste - Incredibly well-balanced. Sweet, orange peel. Light carbonation. Silky smooth.

Overall: Just a top shelf IPA. Second only to Pliny in my opinion. Right next to Hopslam.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Light copper with a one and a half finger head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, slight pine in there as well

T - Immediate wave of hoppy goodness! Orange marmalade, citrus, mango with just enough malt backbone to balance things out very nicely. Sweetens up as it warms.

M - Medium body, oily resinous hops engulf your mouth.

O - Very, very good IIPA! This one is worth seeking out and lives up to the hype! Quite expensive at $10 or more for a bomber but definitely one of FFF's best beers! Great beer to celebrate National IPA day...cheers!

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

A poured a dark golden with a nice finger head.

S Not as fragrant as other Imperial IPA's but still getting lots of citrus and sweet malts. Some pine.

T Sweet malt hits the tongue followed by the grapefruit/citrus flavor, followed by the bitter hops. Nice balanced beer.

M Medium body with nice carbonation.

O This is a great Imperial IPA. Well balanced.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a gorgeous,vibrant orange with a slight haze that sat beneath 2 1/2 inches of durable,bone-white head.Unbelievable retention and ridiculously thick and gummy,concentric rings of lacing.Exactly what a IIPA should look like in my opinion.

S-Bright citrus and musky,tropical fruit,sweet cracker-like malts,summer flowers,honeysuckle,pine resin,grassy hop notes and hop oil.

T-Sweet citric and tropical fruit hops,slick pine, grapefruit rind bitterness,accomodating caramel and butter cracker malts and grassy/floral notes.

M-Medium/full bodied with a remarkable slickness and drinkability.Sweetness on the tongue from hops and malts alike but the lingering bitterness is the star.

O-Seriously top notch IIPA.Glad to have finally tried this one.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Again thanks to beergynt for this trade. Poured into a DFH snifter. Poured a medium amber orange with two finger head with great lacing. The nose is incredible. Wow. Sitting two feet from the brew and can still smell it. Very fruity, hoppy, little bit of orange I detect. The taste is incredible as I had hoped. Very balanced. Mouthfeel was a bit creamy with little carbonation. Overall an excellent beer that I wish I had access to in Georgia. But such is life.

Edit Review 8-29-11

My sister came to visit from IN and brought me some fresh Dreadnaught according to the store she got it at. This is a world class IPA. I've had Pliny and this is right up there with Pliny. If FFF ever comes to GA I'll be in heaven.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date, poured into Hair of the Dog tulip, reviewed on 7/27/11.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with dense off-white head that leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Aroma is dominated by fruity hops, pineapple, orange and mango come to mind with a fair amount of sweet malt in there as well, very little detectable alcohol.

T: Lots of hop bitterness up front with less hop flavor than in the nose. After the initial wave of bitterness comes a combination of grapefruit and pineapple hops with caramel malt. Finishes with a bitter aftertaste and lingering hop flavor. As it warms the strong initial bitterness fades a bit as the hop flavors and some malt sweetness come through much more. Definitely tasting quite a bit better once it warms up a bit from refrigerator temp.

M: Somewhat sticky and resinous medium body with moderate carbonation.

O: Good DIPA, I have a feeling that this may not be as fresh as can be but without a date on the bottle I can't be totally sure, it is still drinking really well none the less.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber into a tulip.

Light in color and golden, two-finger head that sticks around and leaves nice lacing.

Smell is great--lots of tropical aromas, like mango, pineapple, grapefruit. Right out of the bottle, this is one of the best beer aromas I've smelled. As it warms, some sweeter malt and alcohol join in the mix.

Flavor is relatively balanced for the style, with smooth malt and fruity hop flavors running parallel. Great mango/grapefruit hop flavors. A bit sweet in the middle and finishes with a nice hop kick. Really an easy one to drink for the ABV, and the alcohol bite is minimal.

Mouthfeel is medium and leaves a creamy texture on the mouth. Appropriate enough.

This is a great DIPA, and one of the best I've had. It's not quite the hop bomb I remember it being when I had it on tap at the brewery, but it's a perfect example of how to make a drinkable DIPA with both balance and great hop flavor.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

Growler into imperial nonic.
Shared by my bro-in-law (godin64bit) while we did some work around my house.

Light clear gold with a white head. Nice thick rings and globs of lacing.
Smells of caramel malts and some pale dry malts as well. The hop bill is huge and lucious with giant grapefruit and oranges coming through. The flavor adds a little note of pineapple with some resiny pine on the dry bitter finish.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation and a great lingering bitter dryness.

Man I love this beer. FFF is my favorite brewery for many reasons, and dreadnaught is certainly a big plus in their corner.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.