Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,728
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
jfunkk79

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

This was my least favorite of the Three Floyds I've had. It's got a very nice citrusy aroma but the flavor doesn't hold up to other DIPAs I've had. Had a pretty malty flavor and mouthfeel, more than I'm looking for in this style. Still decent but not really my thing.

04-05-2009 20:29:32 | More by jfunkk79
twelvsies

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bomber, capped off our night of tasting Three Floyds beer, thanks to alleykatking. Vibrant hazed orange, thick head, nice lacing. There's really a lot going on with this beer. Yes, hops a' plenty in the nose and up front in the taste, fruity and floral, but there's a huge sweet malt character to this beer as well. It almost takes over for the hops, providing a sweet creaminess under the hops. Almost like vanilla ice cream. The flavors really battle each other here a bit, and I'm not sure if I could say this beer is well balanced, but it makes for an interesting brew, and a nice change next to the many super piney IPAs out there. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. A little hot perhaps, but this is a great beer. Unique for the style, and that's always a plus in my book.

04-05-2009 15:44:04 | More by twelvsies
kinnaird

3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!

A hard pour into my pint glass failed to give me much of a head. The resulting thin head disappeared in less than a minute, leaving a white ring with sparse larger bubbles from the pour. Low carbonation. A hazy tangerine body shows itself from the unfiltered nature of this beer. I'm cool with that because I like yeast in my alcoholic treats.

There's a strong hop presence, but there's so much malt, it contributes a substantial sweetness to the aroma that I notice immediately. I also smell sweet oranges and tangerines combined with a bit of diacetyl.

Tastes pretty much as I smelled. Strong hops infusion with a buttery, fruity, high malt body. I like it, but I don't love it. This does all make for a silky smooth body though. I really enjoy the low carbonation and massive malt combination. This really glides right over my tongue.

I like this DIPA but I'm not excited about it. Maybe I'm just used to the San Diego Style DIPAs so readily available in Orange County. The mouthfeel of Dreadnaught is a feel I love on high gravity beers that are malt forward, but I think this beer would benefit from the crispness of higher carbonation. I see this beer as a good candidate for aging into a remarkable barleywine. Would I buy more if it were available? Perhaps. If you're a hophead though, it's one to add to the list.

04-03-2009 04:30:21 | More by kinnaird
ironlung

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Bomber into AB tulip. Thanks abbddull for the awesome trade!

Looks a hazy amber with a pencil-thin head that makes an exit as soon as the pour is complete. Smell is lovely, sweet carmel malt with just the right amount of citrus hops to let you know this is an IPA!
I love this beer's taste. It sports a perfect balance to it that eludes my humble discriptors. It's balanced but still has that hop kick to it that I adore. The alchohol is also hidden very well. So well in fact I'm having a hard time believeing this is a 9+%er(wasn't marked anywhere on the bottle). It's nice to try this, as I can compare it to nothing we get here out west(mabye a stretch would be double-dog...mabye)
Glad I sought this gem out and thanks again abbddull for getting this one off my wants-list!

04-03-2009 02:06:35 | More by ironlung
abfraser

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a beautiful dark orange with golden hues and a huge frothy white head. Nice lacing. Good looking beer

S: Tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus and piney hops. This smells divine.

T/M: Excellent. Everything on the smell, with citrus flavors and piney hops prominent. This one shares characteristics with the Russian River Pliney's in that it's exceptionally well balanced and the bitterness on the finish is muted. Nothing worse than bitterness that just blows away everything.

D: Hides its alcohol extremely well. The lack of huge bitterness from finishing hops on the end also adds to the drinkability.

An amazing double IPA, up there with the RRBC Pliney, which had previously been my benchmarks. I can see why this one is widely acclaimed.

04-03-2009 01:21:13 | More by abfraser
Sean9689

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Love this beer. On tap @ FFF's. Pours medium-dark orange in color with a white head. Smells fruity/citrus with a good amount of hops. Right off the bat, you are hit over the head with that wonderful hoppy taste and a slight amount of citrus taste. Soooo fresh! Good mouthfeel, medium carbonation, very clean finish. This beer beats the crap out of your taste buds so 1 bomber or a couple of tulips towards the end of the night is a good idea.

04-02-2009 23:12:19 | More by Sean9689
mikecharley

3.8/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to keithricker for this one in a trade. I've been looking forward to trying this for a while.

Pours a slightly straw-y copper color with minimal head. The bubbles are very slowly climbing up the sides of the glass, which gives it a great effect. The lacing left is really nice.

The nose is of super citrus! Lots of mingling scents, including oranges, grapefruit, lemon/lime, pineapple, along with the regular, piney, hoppy aromas. Really nice smell.

The citrus that was in the nose is not nearly as evident in the taste (unfortunatly). There is some citrus, but it is mostly piney, bittery, hops. Has a decent hop backbone, and is drying in the finish. The drying aspect is the nicest part of the taste, IMO.

This beer is extremely bitter, so dont think that more than one bomber is a great idea, unless you dont want to be able to taste for a week.

04-01-2009 23:05:14 | More by mikecharley
drgonzo3705

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a bright copper color with a one inch fluffy white head that leaves just the right amount of lacing in the glass.

S: Very piney with a bit of a floral undertone. Smells very hoppy.

T: A bit more floral in the taste but still pretty piney.

M: Medium bodied with good amount of carbonation and hops. Leaves a nice hop oiliness in your mouth too.

D: Pretty good for a DIPA. I could get down a bomber very easily!

04-01-2009 03:53:39 | More by drgonzo3705
alovesupreme

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

An absolutely beautiful Dark orange, or amber color with a big white fluffy head that stuck around for a short while.
Mango, orange and grapefruit dominate the aroma, with some alcohol and bready malt character filling in the rest.
Big and juicy. Lots of tropical fruit, mango, and ripe citrus mostly grapefruit but orange also makes an appearance. A little bready character fills in the holes and once again but to a lesser extent alcohol character is noticeable.
Excellent mouthfeel. Big, juicy and wet, with subtle dry finish from the hop. Great carbonation with an oily syrupy body.
All in all a fantastic beer. One of the best double IPA that I have had the opportunity to drench my tongue with.

04-01-2009 03:18:09 | More by alovesupreme
youngblood

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Beautiful beer. Nice amber color with fluffy white head floaty on top. Strong scents of grapefruit/pineapple/pine coming off of this. The taste has quite a strong hop profile, dries the mouth out a bit. Wonderful grapefruit aftertaste, slight sweetness mid-profile. Surprisingly light mouthfeel for an almost 10% DIPA. Wonderfully drinkable. Awesome DIPA.

03-31-2009 18:33:54 | More by youngblood
jjanega08

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

A= Great translucent amber color with a small head that is dense and leaves some spotty lacing. The head lasts throughout the entire drink surprisingly.
S= I can smell sweet hops from a ways away. A lot of grapefruit comes in. Smells like a sweet ripe Texas ruby red grapefruit. Some softer orange comes in as well but not as predominate.
T= Smooth grapefruit. Very nice soft hop taste. Not overly bitter but still has a nice bit to it. Just right. Possible small amounts of the pineapple you taste in some hops just because it's so sweet. Delicious
M= Low carbonation which I really enjoy with the style. All IPAs should have a low carbonation in my opinion it makes it so much smoother
D= Very high. This beer was great. I wish Minnesota got Three Floyds. Lives up to everything that I expected.

03-31-2009 00:46:33 | More by jjanega08
charlesw

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

So, yeah, hey, I really liked this right off the bat. The color is a bit light (way light) and the head? What head? But it smells good and tastes good. Of course, then I thought about it for a couple of seconds. Right. Of course I like this right off - it tastes really familiar... Why, it's just like a Cascazilla! I ran down to the local store and grabbed one - to compare. So, here's the deal... The dreadnaught is like cascazilla with a little HSA thrown in (for a little more body and a bit of diacetyl). Well, and the color is a little lighter than the cascazilla, too.

Funny thing is that more of you have tasted this than the other so the comparison isn't going to mean squat to you. What it means to me is that this is pretty darned good, but. Yeah. But. I had the other first so I like it better so neener. Or, if you just upped the body on the casazilla, why, you could have just about the same beer (don't talk to me about 10 - that's got nothing to do with cascazilla or dreadnaught either, for that matter).

OK, enough editorializing, I suppose. Now about the beer... Well... Darn it - it's a weak and pale cascazilla (with more body)! Arg! I mean, seriously. It's good beer, but drinking side by side you really get the feeling it's the same beer only more flavor in the casca and more body (and diacetyl) in the dreadnaught.

So, um. In terms of a DIPA, yeah, it's pretty close to there. Could use some more body and siome more bitterness. Balance seems pretty good for where it is. It's a good beer. Nice and hoppy. Nice. Needs more to be excellent.

03-28-2009 20:35:04 | More by charlesw
jpalarchio

3.8/5  rDev -14%

Pours incredibly clear, a nice amber color. This is only my second beer from FFF, both have been crystal clear.

Smell is really pine like. Wasn't too big on it at first but I began to warm up to it after a few sips.

Taste pretty much backs up the smell; very pine like, a bit of a grapefruit taste.

Pretty drinkable, the alcohol is well hidden.

Not a bad DIPA, but not my favorite. Glad I had it but probably a one time taste given what seems to be a bit expensive for this one.

03-27-2009 03:02:14 | More by jpalarchio
webmanspidey

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

I finally got my hands on one of these thanks to my sister taking a recent trip to Chicago.

Pours pinkish orange with a light fizzy head. Smell is pure grapefruit.. maybe with a hint of pine needles. There's a strong flood of bitter hops and grapefruit right away which stays with you. Finish is bitter pine syrup. Alcohol (nearly 10%ABV) is hidden fairly well, and doesn't really stand out at all. Thick and creamy mouthfeel.

This isn't the hoppiest or most overwhelming IPA I've had, but it is extremely drinkable and very enjoyable. Excellent.

03-27-2009 01:11:55 | More by webmanspidey
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend at Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a very clear brownish orange color with a small amount of off-white head that dissipates quickly into a slight haze. The bubbles stick to the side of the glass on occasion. The ABV is a bit high on this one so maybe that affects the retention and lacing.

S: Now this is a hoppy aroma. I can not smell anything except hop aroma. Floral, citrus, and piney all mingled together in harmony. Absolutely wonderful aroma.

T: Based on the aroma, I expected an over the top bitter experience. However, just like the aroma, the mix of flavors is absolutely perfect. It is like a symphony of hop flavors in the mouth. The finish is really clean and not really bitter at all. A perfect example of using hops for flavor. The alcohol level does not come through in the flavor at all.

M: A unique experience for an IPA. It is very full bodied and thick compared to most others in the style. The carbonation makes it smooth and creamy as well.

D: It goes down pretty easily for such a high hopped and ABV beer. The alcohol is well hidden and the hoppy flavor is fantastic without being bitter.

I will be honest, I really did not want to like this beer this much. I think there prices on their beers are pretty high, and the limited distribution really is a pain in the ass. With that said, I have to give this beer its due. I think it is one of the best beers that I have ever had, certainly the best of the style that I have had.

03-24-2009 02:20:18 | More by GatorBeerNerd
PeprSprYoFace

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Got a bottle from Jeager. Thanks man.

Pours a nice amber color. No head but a little lacing.

Smell is awesome. I know this is a fresh one because it smells so great. Lots of pine and citrius and good caramel malt background.

Taste is wonderfull. Very close up there with Pliny the Elder but I still like elder. Still number 3 IPA I have ever had. So good. Lots of awesome hop flavor and bitterness. Great malt balance. Man I can't wait to trade for more of these.

Mouthfeel is a little more viscous than I would like it but I'm just being picky now.

Overall an awesome DIPA that I could drink all night if I found it on tap or could buy it here.

03-22-2009 06:34:22 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Biggness

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

YAY my 200's Review, I have drank a few of these bottle already and I might as well get around to reviewing it :)

This beer pours an clear orangy amber with a 1 fingered white head and some lacing. The smell is amazing lots of pine, some nut and lots of malt. The taste is wonderful as well, big piney hops matched with a wonderful malt base, everything is balanced very well. The mouthfeel is nice, the carbonation level seems a little low. A highly drinkable brew for nearly 10% I will have to pick up more the next time I am in the area.

03-21-2009 23:14:40 | More by Biggness
DavoleBomb

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Hazy medium orange color. Two fingers of thick creamy white head. Good retention, leaves lots of lacing.

4.0 S: Floral and citrus hops mainly. Orange stands out. Some caramel maltiness too. Not a whole hell of a lot of aroma though.

4.5 T: Very complex set of citrus and hop sensations. A variety of fruits: grapefruit, orange, perhaps a bit of lemon too. Not overly bitter, hops are showcased instead in the flavor. Malts add a balancing bit of sweetness, but honestly who gives a crap about malts in a hopbomb.

4.5 M: Medium body. Not heavy at all, but still doubly creamy and very smooth.

5.0 D: Very good obviously. No flaws, but not perfection either.

03-14-2009 21:59:58 | More by DavoleBomb
sweetbrew82

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Light gold from the bottle, deep copper with orange highlights in the glass. The head is one finger tall, off-white, and is comprised of small, tightly packed bubbles that sink to form a thin cap on top.

A: One of the best hop-explosive noses around! So citrusy and tropical with aromas that remind me of grapefruits, oranges, peaches, and melons. Just great!

T: Very tropical on the tongue! Sweet, toasted sugar cookie malt does just enough to support the incredible hop bill in this one. The hops just explode onto the scene and unleash an unbridled brilliance that is matched by very few. They're bright & fresh, vibrant & leafy, coating the taste buds but never frying them. Flavors are of grapefruit pith, clementines, peaches, melons, and pineapples, while caramel lays underneath for a nice added sweetness. The alcohol is completely hidden away from the taste receptors. This is absolutely fantastic!

M & D: Dreadnaught is full-bodied, thick, creamy, luscious, and smooth as can be. Drinkability is great! I could drink this all night long, or until I couldn't stand upright anymore!

Notes: This is one extremely flavorful hop-tastic DIPA with plenty of power to spare! An instant classic, immediately vaulting to the top of the my favorites list. One of the brightest shining stars in an endless galaxy of Double IPA's. Highly recommended is an understatement! I beg of you Three Floyd's, distribute this to the West Coast immediately!!!

03-14-2009 01:19:26 | More by sweetbrew82
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint.

Pours a brilliant medium straw with a smallish head that although not enormous, doesn't fade immediately.

Aroma is of floral, sweet and fruity hops. Hop aroma is muddled with estery weiss yeast like aromas. Banana and bubble gum with a hint of orange. Hops turn to pungent as you inhale and the bitter characteristics come through. Malt backbone shows but is somewhat muted by the hop aroma.

Flavor is immediate floral, fruity hops. Fresh grapefruit and orange zest with a malt backing that almost balances. Middle is chewy malt with a estery phenolic alcohol bite. Malt is sweet and very nicely placed in the beer. Buttery and doughy with butterscotch and caramel flavors. Finishes dry despite the sweetness of the malt as the hops come through in the end to stab your tongue.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick. Mosty oily although the dryness the hops impart give a bit of a rough edge. Drinkability is dangerously good for something with this ABV.

Very nice IPA, I would buy it again.

03-13-2009 23:30:53 | More by wheatyweiss
Grandwazoo

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

I had the honor of tasting two different releases of Dreadnaught, and this tasting was a major event in my brew-education (not quite as brutal a lesson as the night I discovered that 5 green flashes after several other beers on an empty stomach may in fact cause sever hangover-like symptoms...respect beer indeed!).

Anyway, what an astonishing difference a mere 6 months makes! (I tried the just-released and prior release).

Appearance: New was perfectly clear, with a brown amber color (similar to Nugget Nectar), the not-as-new was somewhat cloudy.

Smell: The new one reeked of fresh cat urine (in a good way!), the until-recently-newest had much more of a burnt-sugar aroma...more like an amber

Taste: Hey, you know what, they are both delicious, just not remotely similar!! The new release is bursting with hops that edge to creaminess before settling into a wonderfully long bitter hops finish. The new-but-not-as-new-as-the-newest release had a much more distinct honey and butterscotch flavor...pleasant but much sweeter.

Feel and drinkability. They both were just fine, thank you very much.

In the final analysis, while the newly-not-new was a fine beer, the NEW release was a friggin' treat!!!

03-13-2009 00:49:34 | More by Grandwazoo
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. It pours a nice copper color. A 1/2 inch off-white head forms and quickly reduces to a thin lacing. No sediment and minimal visible carbonation.

The aroma is a nice mix of citrus fruits (primarily grapefruit) and pine. There is a slight spiciness to the nose and alcohol is hidden. A certain malty sweetness is also present.

The taste is similar to the aroma with some additions. The pine and grapefruit from the hops are present but there is also an earthy, almost moss-like component and mild maltiness.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. There is a great level of carbonation that highlights the flavor. It is not too dry and leaves a nice spicy feeling initially and a pleasant sensation at the finish and a medium body overall.

Overall, this is a very good beer. The alcohol is very well hidden to me and the flavors are well managed. Given the strength, it is important to watch how much you drink though. I will certainly keep my eyes open for this in the future.

03-12-2009 23:40:13 | More by SykDoc
Yetiman420

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a brownish copper color with very thin white head into a Courtyard by Marriott plastic, waxy white hotel guest cup.

Malty sweet aroma. Don't pick up significant hop aroma. The malt may balance it out.

First couple of sips have a big, well-balanced flavor to them. I'm not sure if the sweetness and body comes entirely from the malt or if massive late hop additions factor in to the flavor and mouthfeel. In either case, I like it.

Delicate lacing on the top ridges of the plastic hotel cup. Thin, cheap walls of the cup allows the beer to warm to the appropriate temperature effortlessly with the grasp of my hand.

I may have recently lost my sense of bitterness. I'm not picking it up on this one. Very smooth which is fine in my book. A slight belch 1/4 of the way through produces a wonderful hop flavor.

03-12-2009 02:56:56 | More by Yetiman420
Reagan1984

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Masterski for providing this in a recent trade. Alex is an excellent trader and a man of his word.

Poured with about a finger of head that faded fairly quickly. Some sticky lacing clung to the inside of the glass. The beer itself was a very bright golden amber color with excellent clarity. It was interesting how bright the beer was.

Big/Fresh aroma that was a smack of Citrus at first then trailed off to some other layered scents. There was a hint of some slight alcohol. I was getting some nice fruits in the aroma. Nothing I could pull out specifically. At this point I sometimes not "tropical" as they seem to be a bit sweeter in nature.

The flavor was big, bold and wonderful. Smooth cracker malt, honey and a big smack of grapefruit hops. Some of those same tropical fruits were present in the flavor and towards the end you got a sense of some resin sticky pine flavors. The slightest warming from the alcohol, but it plays behind the hops and you almost don't notice it.

Just shy of sticky, but also a bright mouth feel with the proper amount of carbonation to lighten the load. Medium bodied.

Very Drinkable and a wonderful DPA.

** This is one to drink fresh. We did a comparison with a fresh bottle and one with a bit of age on it. (maybe 6 months) Two totally different beers. The older beer was much more ripe pineapple and malt based. The fresh one just screamed fresh hops.

03-11-2009 10:21:10 | More by Reagan1984
ThreeWiseMen

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this in a trade with fogdog. Kevin, you rock!

Decided to share this with lynx1245. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Densely cloudy, orange-peach skin colored body with small, loose, peachy off-white head on top. The body is really something else - absolutely gorgeous color! For being so loose, the head retains pretty well and leaves nice, crusty lacing on the walls of the glass. "Pretty damn pretty," claims Wiseman Jorge.

Smell: Caramel malt + resiny hops = SMACK! (I don't know, that's just what it said in my notes.) Sweet, candied fruit aromas everywhere - mandarin orange, tangerine, and honeydew melon stand out the most. Moist pine and hop resin abound. Tons of sweetness, but not cloying. Complex and totally mouth-watering.

Taste: Much more bitter than I expected. I haven't been too fond of the other FFF IPA's. Bready yeast starts it off, and bitter, herbal hops and pine finish it. Bitter piney hops and caramel malt throughout. Citrus peeks through briefly in the middle, but is nowhere near as pronounced as it was in the smell. This beer is deliciously balanced!

Mouthfeel: Fairly syrupy and definitely full in body. Large presence of both hops and malt. Carbonation provides for excellent smoothness and a delicate tingle. Mild mouth-numbing and pretty chewy.

Drinkability: This is awesome! The only thing preventing me from drinking more is the fact that I only have one bottle. Citrus comes out more with time. Tastes absolutely delicious, but its a bit heavy.

03-08-2009 03:51:56 | More by ThreeWiseMen