Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,724
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
sirpsycho

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottle. Pours a copper color, fluffy off-white head that stuck around for awhile. Aroma is hops and citrus. Hoppy, pine - citrus flavor, couldn't really detect the Mango and Peach flavors, oh well. Finish is nice bitter and drying. Very good beer, lived up to the hype.

02-14-2009 16:00:57 | More by sirpsycho
koopa

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bomber received as an extra from a generous trader. Thanks for the opportunity!

Appearance: Beautiful hazy tangerine iced tea with honey corners. A billowy 3 finger foam head that is rocky, retains well, and leaves SNOWFLAKE type lacing all around the glass! Absolutely beautiful Imperial IPA.

Smell: Piney Resinous Bitter Hops coupled with a dominating light and sweet caramel malt.

Taste: Exactly like the nose.

Mouthfeel: fairly chewy with moderate carbonation. Medium to medium thick.

Drinkability: its a touch heavy so not the most drinkable. But still delicious enough to entice me to have more than 1.

I love FFF's

02-10-2009 01:00:45 | More by koopa
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Finally was able to score a bottle of Dreadnaught through a trade. The brew pours a dark orange amber with a humongous, foamy, off-white head. Honey-caramel sweet aroma with some dried apricot. Grassy/pine/citrus hops aroma. Light-medium bodied brew with a slightly slick texture. The beer starts off with a juicy fruit flavor with flavors of honey and apricots. Juicy hops flavors, citrus, grassy, herbal. The sweetness is then balanced by a palate-shattering bitterness as the beer finishes with an aggressive, earthy-pine, bitter dryness. I'm guessing Amarillo and Chinook hops might be used in here somewhere. This beer is very good, very complex as it's initial sweetness and bitter finish are polar opposites. Extreme bitterness slows the tempo on this one and the ABV is felt half way through the 22 oz. bottle. I'm glad to have had the chance to try this one.

Cheers!

02-08-2009 05:01:35 | More by SteveO1231
sonicdescent

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Thank you to stfun37 for this one.

Pours a murky gold with active carbonation and a thin white head.

Smells fruity and sweet. Pineapple is up front, as well as a familiar simcoe scent.

Tastes resiny with again pineapple and grapefruit. Very tasty and not at all puckering like some DIPAs. Very tasty.

Body is medium as is carbonation. Workable combination.

Overall very good drinkability and very good at masking it's alcohol content. Watch this one sneak up on you.

02-07-2009 04:17:44 | More by sonicdescent
RockerD

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

I love this beer and I drink it on a regular basis on tap at the brewpub and out of the bottle. This makes it very hard for me to give an accurate review... but I must try.

I've seen this beer come out cloudy on some pours and clear on some pours... I've even seen it pour cloudy and then clear up??? I assume it's from where the keg/bottle has been filled from the holding vessel. Regardless of haziness, the beer has a beautiful orange meets graveyard western sky color, nice white head, not too big. I love to look at the clear pour of this beer as it can be as smooth as glass.

Huge citrus and pine scent up front. It's as if Mr. Coniferous and Ms. Tangerine ran into each other and suddenly melted on under the hot Chicago sun (in July/August). Lying underneath them would be high quality 2-row malt that is scooping them up. Next to Hopslam this is one of my favorite smelling beers.

Over and over again this beer collapses my palate with piney and citrusy hops. It never gets old. Love it! Amazingly I never taste the bite of alcohol. Maybe it's just me???

If this beer were a few ABV % less I would be drinking it non-stop.

It's simply and IIPA fan's IIPA.

02-05-2009 05:08:27 | More by RockerD
cvfish

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours a great amber color that produced a white head and retained ok and left a great lacing around the glass

S - Earthy pine forest, grapefruits, and malts

T - Great burst of pine soaked hops with a splash of grapefruit followed by some good bready malts

M - Moderate body and carbonation

D - Great example of an DIPA, when paired with spicy foods its out of this world

02-03-2009 04:51:23 | More by cvfish
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev -17.4%

Appearance: Straw-golden-orange-yellow, nice big head and good lacing.

Smell: Hop oil, pine sap, spruce, grapefruit rind, lychee, citrus

Taste: Tastes like hops. Hefty bitterness. Not enough malt to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: Big bodied beer.

Drinkability: Not my favorite, I prefer yulesmith by alesmith when I have the craving. One dimensional like most other hop bombs.

02-02-2009 23:09:32 | More by craytonic
BigJim5021

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Genuine amber with a white head that settles to a ring in a jiffy. Given the style, you know you're gonna be balls to the walls with lacing.

The smell is massive, piney hops. There's a spruce tree in my glass of beer, and it smells fucking great. But you also pick up traces of caramel malts. They know whose show this is, though. Don't you be trying to upstage the hops, bitch.

Just like with the smell, the caramel maltiness knows its damn role and makes itself minimal. The hops are the ones putting the asses in the seats, and they -- of course -- dominate the palate. They're huge and piney and they answer to no man. Flavor is among the best IIPAs I've had.

Mouthfeel is right where you want it. Solid carbonation and a nice full body. Dry as a goddamn bone on the finish.

Drinkablitly is tip-top when you consider the style. However, I've gotta knock off points given the price of this monster. $9.99 for a bomber? C'mon, man. I can get two bottles of Ruination for that. I love what Three Floyd's does, but I think they could stand to offer their beers at a lower price, especially within the state in which it's made.

02-01-2009 07:56:37 | More by BigJim5021
jkendrick

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with thin white head that quickly fades to pond scum (and I mean that in the best way). There is carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass. There is nice, intricate lacing left on my glass.

Aroma: The aroma is pine first, but also a lot of citrus, mostly grapefruit. There is also more biscuity malt than I feel is typical in DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Intense small bubbles stir things up inside your mouth. It is medium-bodied and there is a slipperiness, but not necessarily oily.

Taste: Surprisingly mild. The pine leads the way. My favorite IPAs favor the pine-y flavors over the citrus, but this one does have a healthy dose of citrus. The strong biscuity malt balances this nicely revealing a tremendously complex flavor. The finish is pure grapefruit and I don't notice the alcohol until it hits my belly.

Overall Impressions: Definitely a good one that plays to my favorites. There is a lot going on here! Despite the heavy dose of hops, the malt balance allows the flavor complexity to shine through. I would LOVE to have this on draft at some point.

01-29-2009 00:51:40 | More by jkendrick
JWD

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Great beer thanks to Slater1313!!! Wanted this one for a while!!

A- Looks good, medium white head. Golden amber in color. looks good so far.

S- WOW, i am thinking hopslam or pliny at this point, very interested and curious.

T- WOW, i am tasting pliny here very good, very piney, resiny, a hop bomb with reservations and refinement, pliny again. I would put this on par with pliny the elder, hopslam and port hop suey.(my favorite)

M- Medium- good for the style not quite as chewy as expected for the abv but great overall.

D- give me more, just like pliny i will take waht you will give me!!! MORE PLEASE!!

Great brew from FFF, I will put on par with elder and next to hop suey and right behind the younger.

01-27-2009 03:25:52 | More by JWD
Birmingham

Kansas

3.73/5  rDev -15.6%

Aroma: Clean, balanced hop aroma with some alcoholic aroma. The aroma was strong full when I initially open poured my beer, but it quickly dissipated.

Appearance: Golden amber with orange glow. Nice off white head with some lacing on the glass

Flavor: Pleasant hop bitterness with mild maltiness. The maltiness was there, but it did not offset or balance the hoppyness.

Mouth feel: Medium-light body, mild carbonations

Overall Impression: I would like to have a more balanced approach with malt flavor, have the alcohol aroma decreased and a stronger hop present in the aroma. As I approach the end on the bomber it becomes more drinkable. I would not want to drink more than one bomber in sitting.

01-24-2009 03:54:23 | More by Birmingham
ryrust5301

4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance - Certainly passes the eyeball test. Almost a deep orange with some gold highlights shining through. Head is a very gentle layer of off whiteness, that fades into a white ring with tiny retreating trails of lace.

Smell - They were definitely heavy handed with the hops in this one. Piney hops just float all around the aroma, and are mixed in with a grapefruit, and lemon citrus smell. There's also a little sweetness behind everything.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Smooth piney bitter hops do not crush the palate, but sort of glide over the toungue. Once again there is a honey sweetness behind the hops. It's amazing that there is this much hops yet it's not overly biting or bitter. Mouthfeel is very firm and coating.

Drinkability - A like this beer, I just don't love it. I like my DIPA's with more of a west coast touch. Port and Russian River are more my style.

01-22-2009 05:44:56 | More by ryrust5301
ShrLSU

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a nice deep copper color with a white foamy ring around the edges. It left nice lacing around the rim. The nose is perfect hop deliciousness. Nice pine and citrus hops with a slight twinge of malt at the end. The taste is not quite what you would expect from the nose. The bitter hops are the forfront of the berr mixed in with some slight malts. I was expecting to have a bit more sweet taste then bitter. It's very interesting but not what the smell leads you to. The mouthfeel is low carbonation and a slight oily feel down the throat. Overall this is a great dipa. Its on par with some of three floyds best beers. If you love hops, and can actually obtain this, try it out!

01-22-2009 05:39:26 | More by ShrLSU
bbothen

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep orange/amber color with a thock & fluffy 2 finger deep off white head. Loads of sticky webbing & soapy lace left on glass. Sticky.

The aroma is massive explosion of all things hops. Awesome. Fruity, piney, grassy, flowery, earthy hops. Plenty of lemon/lime zest, tropical aromas. Yeah. Malt aromas? Dunno. Maybe.

Wonderful hoppy taste as well. Not as bitter as I expected, but big & hoppy. The tropical flavors dominate for me. Juicy, oily, resiny, citric hoppiness. Enough of a sweet malty character to balance things out. Tasty indeed.

Thick, chewy, medium to full, low carbonation on the bottles I've had. Just enough though that's not a distraction.

A wonderfully crafted flavorful brew. The hop profile is huge. But this was quite drinkable. Find some of this one.

01-21-2009 20:58:50 | More by bbothen
seanpachefddfa

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

appearance- pours a medium dark amber with a thick cream colored head. good lace

smell- a good hop profile gets you up front lots of citrus grapefruit and orange zest. a good caramel malt backing also.

taste- same as the nose but with some good pine from the hops also.

mouthfeel- thick and syrupy with good carbonation and a sticky finish.

drinkability- another great beer from fff's will seek this one out again.

01-19-2009 01:08:40 | More by seanpachefddfa
Redwood21

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%

Thank you again Scubarex for this fantastic brew in my SS BIF box

A: Frothy head that is absolutely gorgeous and white like cloud 9 or some wacky snap like that. the beer is a hazy red oak color that is really pleasant, not too dark but not light enough to look weak and wimpy

S: there is a sharp hop aroma that is evident and delicious it portends a beer that is going to be full of delicious hop taste. there is a slight floral spice in the nose that is a little weak but helps set your head before you take your first sip

T: hop heaven, there are a lot of 2ipas and this is top tier for sure. the hop character is very good. there is a slight sweetness in harmony with a hop bitterness that doesn't linger on your palate but that caresses your senses into a tizzy. there is a slight spice that helps kink the sensation i almost sense a tad of a doughy bread like chewiness that helps hold and pull the body into the taste. there is a slight citrus acidity involved as well, very tasty brew

hype lives to the name, this is a really good delicious overly drinkable beer

buy some drink it delicious

01-18-2009 03:39:26 | More by Redwood21
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

I just got this in a trade, really nice to come home to a bunch of east coast beer I cannot get on the west coast.

The bottle is pretty neat with a regular paper label on a 22oz. bomber.
The pour of this beer is fun. It comes out really aromatic, and pours a really white head. This is incredibly fresh, and the smell is so so strong. It smells like incredible citrus hops. I have never had a Three Floyds brew and the hops they use smell amazing. Really floral, if that makes any sense, like a bouquet of different hops.

The taste is so good. Really good, tastes just like a stronger pale ale with a mellow sweetness that is really evident after the first drink. I feel like it is not strong enough, or at least not as strong as I thought it was going to be. Either way, great first taste and a lingering bitterness that tastes great on my tongue.

The thing I really think people love about this beer, other than the taste, is the drinkability and the mouthfeel. I could pound a few of these, which would be fun considering they are like 9ABV. The positives about this beer are that it tastes good and is really easy to drink without ANY alcohol taste. Negatives are the golden color and that the hop flavor is mild, not wild. I would love to buy this beer again, and if I could I would, but I can't.

J

01-15-2009 05:39:04 | More by Jmoore50
jpiper

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a medium orange-amber color and clear. Nice 3cm white head.

The citrus is better described as lemon and oranges than grapefruit. Not orange peels, like some hopped beers, but oranges. Malt sweetness.

Very nice orangy sweet flavor. Not overly bitter, and the bitterness on the finish is carried and accompanied well by the sweetness.

Thick, creamy, and smooth without being chewy. Medium bodied, and not dry. Not as clean or dry as I prefer in a big IPA.

Very much a sipper. Mouthfeel slows you down. ABV not as well hidden as Founders Double Trouble or Bell's Hopslam. Not a refreshing thirst quencher.

The Dreadnaught is right on par with the excellence of Bell's Hopslam. An excellent beer which actually serves to show one of the ways that Hopslam is so excellent - the light honey sweetness rather than the heaver malt sweetness. Definitely among my favorite big IPAs. Though, in reality, this is no more available to me than is Pliny the Elder.

01-13-2009 14:16:26 | More by jpiper
Soneast

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours an amber color with a 2-finger, cream colored head, that recedes to a thick layer with moderate lacing.

Pick up a lot of citrus notes and resinous pine on the nose, deliciously hoppy up front but I am also pleasantly surprised by a very nice caramelized background that really helps put the hops in it's place.

An earthy hop presence hits you up front and pretty much hangs on all the way through subdued only slightly by a sweet toffee, almost buttery flavor. Now that I am more experienced I realize that what I'm tasting is Diacetyl which I would think a brewery like FFF's would be able to produce a relatively flawless beer.

Medium bodied with light carbonation. The texture on this is very nice and creamy but it feels like I ate a big wad of salted butter caramel. A flawed DIPA, that kinda disappoints.

01-11-2009 22:53:38 | More by Soneast
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Tattorso for this!

Pours orange amber with a thin head that descends to a swirl. Little lacing is left.

The smell is of citrus, pine, caramel/toffee. A hop-head's delight, with a firm, tasty malt backing. I love the smell of this one!

The taste is leafy, green hops - citrus, pine, tropical fruits. It is bitter with a rounding sweetness. Finishes a bit sticky.

It has a chewy, full body.

This is an awesome DIPA! For the style/abv, it's just about as drinkable as it comes. Keeps up the hop bitterness while being rounded by a balancing sweetness. Delicious, to say the least!

01-11-2009 05:04:05 | More by jwc215
gibby

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Bomber through a trade, big thanks to crazynelson. I think this bomber was much more fresh compared to the few that I had about a year ago. Only had on draft once at the gabf in 2008. Never makes it to philly.

Poured an orange color, mostly clear with a few floaties here and there, no head. Smells of orange peel and citrus right off the bat. Major hops but not overwhelming at all. Super smooth brew, goes down very easy. Sipped on this bomber for about an hour. Even as the beer warmed it was very tasty. Gave me a nice buzz for sure. I would love to crack open a 2nd but its all I have for now. I would buy this beer all the time if it were available in philly. I will keep trading for it in the meantime. Great beer and I enjoy it every time I get the chance to try it. Recommended to fellow hopheads.

01-11-2009 03:54:32 | More by gibby
tmoneyba

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Tap at brewpub.

Poured a deep copper color with medium head that diminished slowly with good lacing.

Full sour citrus hoppy aroma.

Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation.

Complex balanced bittersweet flavor with a great bitter finish of long duration.

Great brew and will drink another bottle at the oppurtunity.

01-09-2009 18:13:39 | More by tmoneyba
CoolJosh

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Lucky find at Kenny Road Market.. Got to talking with the store clerk and was fortunate enough to be on his good side that day, as he whipped one out from the back for me.

A. Really disappointed with the lack of head from pour, it looks great but this kinda screws it. Beautiful glowing ruby orange with significant haze that really ties it all together.

S. Really creamy some vanilla, tangerine, slight grapefruit, slight lemon, good use of orange and great smoothed out hop presence.

T. Just smooth and soft all the way through, mouth feel similar to that of a belgian, hops are definitely but no real hop kick, its somewhat subdued. Mostly sweet orange peel that turns out well, lots of caramel. Reminds me of nearly of barley wine

01-04-2009 05:16:33 | More by CoolJosh
treyrab

4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Big thanks goes out to jac5084 for splitting this. Poured into my flute glass...

A: Pours a hazy dark copper with very mild carbonation creeping up the glass. Pours with a nice, incredibly sticky eggshell white head.

S: The smell is incredibly intense. Almost like a barleywine on hop steroids. Not sure if this was due to a couple months in the cellar or not, but the malt presense was incredibly present.

T: Wow, a real kicker in the face with flavor. Tons of sweet caramel malts blended with a touch of alcohol and a slight hop presense. The hops are by no means bitter, but they balance out the beer nicely.

Overall, this was a very solid beer that I would like to try really fresh.

01-03-2009 02:26:00 | More by treyrab
BWH3

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

A light copper bubbly ale with a mass of white fluffy foam for a head. Bubbles are big and brisk but unable to strike down that head. The beer is flawlessly clear. The head sticks and clings to the glass as you drink. A beautiful aromatic blend of citrus and pine hops aroma with just the slightest hint of sticky resinous hops. Malt sweetness is palpable but subdued compared to the hops aroma. Could use a touch more vibrant citrus aroma to put it a bit more over the top and earn the 5 for smell. The creamy rich caramel malts combine with a bread crust heartiness to prepare the palate for the bitterness to come. The hops flavors are bold and crisp and cling to the palate as the beer passes to the stomach. The bitterness slowly fades but is never excessive or harsh. A citrus hops flavor remains on the lips once the bitterness has subsided. Would be perfect if there was just a hint of hops flavor up front to accompany the malt. Medium to Heavy body. Carbonation is enough to buoy the head and eject the hops' aromatics into the air but not too much to be gassy. Rich creamy and superb. This is an absolute must for all hop heads.

12-31-2008 21:28:48 | More by BWH3