Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,785
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bottle provided by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe! Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A - Pours a very clear goldenrod body, with some slight amber in the thickest parts of the glass. It slowly but surely builds about 1.5 fingers worth of rocky, off-white head with pretty low retention. An absolute torrent of carbonation can be seen rushing from the nucleation point to the top, quick and numerous. Some spotty lacing appears after the head dissipates.

S - The smell is full of fruits and pine, a great combination. I am getting lots of grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple. All this beer needs is a little frilly umbrella and the tropical scene is complete. There is some wet pine smell as well, beautifully showcasing the hop profile of this beer. Delicious smelling.

T - Given the awesome smell of this beer, I was expecting a ton of flavor, and while this beer certainly boasts a ton of hops, I feel the nose does a much better job of displaying them. While it's possible to get the slight tropical fruits, this beer, like many other (D)IPAs, tends to sway towards the orange and grapefruit bitterness. I am not sure of the age of this beer, so the date could definitely have an impact, but I can't say either way. Given that, this is a great beer, but I thought the nose built it up to be incredible. The fruits have a way of contributing to while cutting the bitterness a bit, and the pine arises to add an extra complexity. The malt backbone is comprised of some nice caramel support. Finish is long and bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. Great mouthfeel, sticky hops leave a thick coating on the mouth, and contribute to the long finish.

D - Drinkability is high. Easy to drink and has all the right components to a good time. Had no problem finishing a bomber of this over the course of a Penguins game.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Agold for this trade, and the chance to try this amazing beer. Poured into my Dfh snifter, appearance is a dark yellow/orange color, about 1 finger of head quickly dies down with nice glass lacing. On the nose, there are some huge aromatic grapefruit flavors, as well as pine, and some nice tropical fruits and citrus. On the first taste, the fresh grapefruit and citrus flavors flavors mingle, along with some nice bitter hops, followed by a creamy malt at the end. This is a truly amazing beer, a great specimen of a double ipa. For the big abv, it is really hidden well, and this is highly drinkable. Bravo three floyds!

3.7/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Giant three finger head off the pour into a pint glass. Huge retention on it, this thing just WILL not go away very impressive off white color and very foamy. Some faint cloudiness but not much, with a nice golden dark brown color body. This is a very impressive looking beer.

Smell is a primary hops obviously, and airy chew, but a faint fruit that is hard to discern and pinpoint. There is not a lot of fruit smell on this beer, it's mostly just hops and it's nearly impossible to detect the citrus and so called tropical fruits that the bottle claims.

Taste is typical but tolerable hops that are not too bitter. But missing big notes of fruit with only a slight faint orange on the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer though is truly exceptional, it is extremely pillow and fluffy like in the mouth it feels great. There is also a strange ashen (ashes) like quality to this beer which is just weird.

This is a decent beer but I am not blown away by it at all and it's hard to find in my area and pricey. I would not pay a lot of money to have this again, and I would easily grab a Dogfish 90 or the Burton Baton over this.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

01/15/11- Review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Slightly hazy amber with a cream sticky head.
S: Very nice hops profile: slightly floral, but mostly citrus with a strong pineapple. There is a toffee and caramel backbone. It's nice.
T: Long-lingering orange zest, with pineapple, spicy/peppery notes, and creamy rosemary. Nice.
M: Slightly thick with a frothy carbonation.
D: Great.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Hazy straw colored pour with some carbonation flowing and a short, but staying off-white head. It leaves a good web of lacing.
I can smell hops from where I stand. Lots of citrus, like a Florida fruit basket. There is grapefruit, orange, mangoes, peaches, and a hint of watermelon.
Nice spice bite of hops sweetness then bitters followed by a big lemon burst and orange peel. The hint of bread-like yeast is nice along with some subtle honey malt notes which keeps the sweetness while the hop character balances with its tartness.
The tongue tickles with bubbles as it dries out a bit. A little sticky sweetness is still present, however, making this an almost sessionable IIPA.

Reviewed from notes 1/12/2011

A: citrus and floral hops are very present

Ap: copper orange with a 2 finger white head

B/T: mild carbonation, well balanced, smooth

Af: candied hops, sweet, with a dry finish

O: very comparable to DFH 90 minute

Cheers!
The CPJ

This is my second review of Dreadnaught, easily a desert Island beer for me, and possibly the beer I would drink last before I die (though Vanilla Bean Dark Lord probably would be it if available). Certainly it is my favorite beer that is easily available year round. I was INCREDIBLY fortunate enough to be given a growler of Dread that was tapped the day before from my beer guy in DC. I feel it is my duty to tell the beer world that you must try Dreadnaught on tap (fresh) or from a fresh growler to really appreciate this amazing beer.

The beer pours great with sticky lacing and a perfect orange hue characteristic on DIPA's, with a nice white head.

The smell might almost be the best part. Huge aroma of grapefruit, tropical fruit hops, notes of pine hops, candied malt, tangerine, and more waft effortlessly from the glass in such an open and dank way. Just so much hops in there but all of it with a beautiful fruit tinge and with some sweet malt to back it up.

The taste follows the flavor almost exactly, which I'm finding as I review more beers is becoming more rare. This beer does not disappoint and opens up a completely balanced flavor with absolutely no flaws or flavors that completely dominate. All the notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit, dank pine hops, sweeter bready malts, bitters and sweetness, and more all get along very well. Hops up front, malt and fruit in the middle, and a bittersweet end that lingers a long time.

Mouthfeel is great, it's so smooth and awesome. The creaminess is there with just enough carbonation. This is so great. Drinkability? I could drink this all day because the alcohol is hardly detectable at all, its completely sugar coated and pleasant, no burn is here AT ALL.

I had this growler next to a bottles of the best bottles Hop beers available right now (including two seasonals from great beer companies, two really great beers) and there was no contest. Granted, from a growler will always be better than a bottle for me, but still the Dreadnaught is just such a well crafted beer. What can I say, my handle even pays homage to this beer!

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz bottle into snifter.

Pours a fairly clear golden, with faint orange hues and quickly rising carbonation and an average white head.

The aroma is of big citric and tropical fruity hops lending a fair amount of bitterness.

The taste is again of sweet tropical fruit such as pineapple, mango and grapefruit. I picked up just a faint caramel backing from the malts and quite faint alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

This is a well done and very enjoyable DIPA. If it were available locally I would probably pick it up, though I probably won't go out of my way to acquire it again.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

650ml bottle acquired from my contact in Indiana - my first Three Floyds beer that made quite an impression on me. This is definitely a hophead's dream beer without the bitterness. Pours a cloudy amber appearance. Opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. This beer retained a nice head and lace throughout. It's complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. A definite favorite of mine in the Imperial IPA category!

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Slightly hazy, yellow-straw colored hue; a thin but steady head; lacing isn't as intricate and complex as many DIPAs but it's okay

S: Wow! Lots of tropical citrus fruits from the hops; a grainy undertone; maybe a touch of bubblegum also from the hop presence

T: Tropical fruit: grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and bubble gum; alcohol numbing quality on the back of the tongue and roof of the mouth; slightly grainy undertones--man, this is tropical hop goodness!

F: Actually quite creamy for the style; the beer sits so nicely on the roof of the mouth

D: A great, wonderful and easy to drink DIPA; I can't believe it's nearly 10%--the alcohol presence is there but it's subtle and not overwhelming at all

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Well, after watching the Seahawks summarily dispatch the Saints with brother Alumni Marshawn Lynch blasting the nail into the coffin, I have this wonderful ale sent by awesome trader Brian44556...

Pours a lightly hazed amber with pale straw highlights. Medium carbonation. Decent finger of soapy head forms and sticks around for a couple sips. Nice, sticky lacing. Aromas are fainter than expected, and a little thin. Some of the typical grapefruit and caramel notes, and some vanilla in there as well. Nothing unique or even robust about it. A slight disappointment thus far. Flavor makes up for it, though. There is a slight laundry detergent quality to it that is a put off. It's right upfront and not well hidden. Other than that flaw, the hops are well-balanced. This is the Midwest version of a Western IPA. It lacks the insane Hop Power of a Lefty DIPA. Instead, it pushes some nice, caramel malty notes into the mix and makes it a better balanced brew. There's a really sweet character to this that is intriguing, though I doubt I could drink too many of these because of it. It's almost like a young barleywine in texture and malt character. The finish, is super long - longer than John Holmes. And it's drier than expected, so this beer is very complex. Very good. 9.5% ABV is really well masked, no idea it was that potent. Worth tracking down, folks. Great take on the DIPA.

What I like most: The super well-masked ABV and complex and well-balanced flavor profile (except for the detergent taste upfront).

What I like least: The nonexistent aroma profile.

Verdict: very good beer, worth tracxking down but not elite.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to rfraga77 for sending me this one a day after it was bottled straight form the FFF source. I drank this as fresh as a Californian could, within a 7 day window from being bottled:

Appearance - Looks like a standard DIPA with a thick body you can see in the RRBC pint glass I pour it in - Good but not the brighter color I look for.

Smell - Heavenly. Tons of citris focusing on mango primarily, apricots and yes, as stated before, peaches with a very familiar "Hebal" thing blending in nicely. Dank.

Taste - Straight Dank in a glass. Very much so reminds me of Marijuana, moreso than a fresh Racer 5 which is impressive.
Very much follows the smell and the stickiness from the hops resinates the palate, lingering long after each sip. Bright citris, solid malt backbone. This beer fresh hangs with all the big boys in the WC.

Mouthfeel - A little thick but not syrupy. The body tells you it's around 9% and that it's without doubt a DIPA but that's what this beer was meant to be and what I believe FFF was aiming for. The resinous hops leave you wanting another sip over and over. I had to slow down some to relax and appreciate all it's qualities.

Drinkability - Good. A bit thick but no DIPA can drink like PtE now can it? No problem finishing the bomber.

Final Thoughts - This is one fantastic DIPA. I've had this a few times and always thought it was good but at this fresh, it's truly World Class and I now can see what all the fuss is about. Pricing still high IMHO however. I put this up in my top 5 DIPAs along with:

PtY
PtE
Citra
Alpine's Bad Boy

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

appearance - amber in color, a bit cloudy for an ipa, reasonable foam head, minimal/moderate lacing

smell - lots of grapefruit and citrus in the nose

taste - dominant citrus notes, sweet hops, caramel notes, a fairly balanced ipa with maybe a 60/40 hop to malt split in the flavor profile

mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation, somewhat oily and lingering on the finish

drinkability - very flavorful, the hops are clean and shine through well, more malt than i'd like, appearance could be improved for an ipa, overall very good

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Body is a slightly hazy gold with a 2-finger head that thins to a fine layer of foam, leaving some lace curtains along the way.

Aromas of wet hay, tropical fruit, grapefruit rind, green hops, and brown sugar.

Taste is a sweet and sour mixture of malt sugars and grapefruit. Some tropical flavors in the background, like mango. There is a nice green hoppy finish as well.

Body is medium with nice carbonation, producing a creamy mouthfeel.

This is an interesting DIPA, the flavors and palate are both superb. The alcohol is well matched by the flavor. A very good beer to pair with seafood.

4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy aromas protrude from the bottle immediately upon opening. The color is a nice amber-gold with a fine, cream colored foam that rises quickly and falls slowly. Aromas are heavy with pine, bold citrus fruits, white flower petals, and a grassy punch. Flavor is intense to match. Big flavor impact with grapefruit and a bready mid palate. Finish lingers for minutes with a hop overload. A gripping bitter finish that leaves your cheeks drained of moisture and your tongue yearning for another drop. What a treat. Thanks to yeahnatenelson for a tasty, fresh bottle.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours yellow-orange, producing about a finger of white head. This slowly recedes, leaving a thin cap of lacing.

I smell citrus and floral hops, backed by a touch of caramel sweetness.

The flavors open with citrus hops over sweet caramel. The hangs around for a while, and eventually gives way to a lingering grapefruit and pine bitterness.

Quite a smooth drink, with a just perceptible alcohol warmth on the back end. Nicely drinkable for the ABV.

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

appearance blows me away on this one. Golden orangish yellowish redis with a creamy foamy thick off white head.

Smell is nice and potent smells delicious, tons of hoppy citrus and some pine

boozy hops and grapefruit dominate the taste. Almost a cherry tast comes through and the bitter orangepeel flavor is pretty strong in the after taste

Mouthfeel is a little weaker than I was thinking very light and tons of carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

156th review on BA
Bottle to pint

App- An orangy yellow with a very pencil thin head. Nice lacing as the beer goes down.

Smell- One hell of a hoppy note. A very upfront smell with some big citrus and a minimal spice.

Taste- This is not as earthy as a west coast DIPA and I think being a mid westerner at heart I am biased. I liked this a lot. Has a nice crisp clean flavor I was hoping for but not over powering.

Mouth- A bit of a medium body but a nice crispness to the bite of it with a clean finish.

Drink- I'm not on the Pliny bandwagon and I think this was slightly higher in my opinion. I appreciate the Imperial DIPA style and like what people try to do with them. I think I need to go visit the family in IL and make a trip to 3Floyds.

3.15/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a medium off white head.

S: Grapefruit, hops and malt. Very crisp.

T: Smooth on the front with a medium to heavy bite on the back end. There is also slight grapefruit and floral taste.

M: Surprisingly thin with a punch of what I think is carbonation.

D: It was tough for me to finish the bottle. I am not a huge IPA fan so my review really shouldn't count against this beer, but I thought this particular IPA was nothing out of the ordinary. I would drink it again, but I would not actively seek it out.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

Paired up with some spicey turkey chili as I watched my Nittany Lions go down on New Year's Day.

A - Poured lemony/orange (if such a thing exists) with a huge white head that left serious lacing on my pint glass after the pour.

S - Good hop bit with the ususal grapefruit citrus bite in the nose.

T - Very nice considering not my favorite style. Good taste of pine, citrus, and a pretty hoppy bite. I don't drink the style enough to be an expert for comparison purposes, but the hop bite was more bitter than oily which I get in other more aggressive IPA's.

M - Pretty good, clean and crisp with a big ending bite.

D - For me, I liked it as a balance to the turkey chili that I was having. Nice combination which played off each other. Done my chili, done my beer.

I should have picked up a couple more of these when I had the opportunity. A nice solid mainstay of FFF.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A- poured a nice large head that took a while to settle, light golden color, heavy lace.

S- scents of lemons and spruce dominated this, quite appealing

T- taste leaned more towards grapefruit and lime followed by a little grassiness.

M- they got just the right amount of carbonation in this one, very nice medium body.

D- I solid IIPA. Loved it.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a golden orange color with a very slight haze to it. An inch of eggshell colored head sits atop and leaves a fair amount of lacing as it slowly fades.

The nose is loaded with citrus and some floral hops, but is balanced nicely with some sweet caramel-like malts.

Following suit from the nose, the taste is a perfectly balanced blend of hops and malts. Some red grapefruit and pineapple hit the tongue first, but before the thought of this being a huge hop bomb enters your mind, the sweet caramel malts enter the scene to balance things out. This is definitely one of the best tasting DIPAs I've had.

Mouth feel is smooth, almost creamy, and the carbonation is spot on for the style. This beer is insanely drinkable...I honestly did not want to put my glass down! I wish I could get this in KS or MO on a regular basis, but it will have to be one I pick up whenever I make it to WI, IL, or anywhere else that Three Floyds distributes.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

I can't believe this is my first review of Dreadnaught since I've had it a bunch of times both out of the bottle and on tap. It pours a muddied, murky dark orange with a one finger white foamy head. It smells of subtle citrusy hops, dry, and of sweet malt. The taste is a little piny followed by a good amount of overly sweet malt. I must've grabbed a bottle that had sit for awhile. It drinks both crisp and exceptionally smooth, especially for an IPA. I think that this one is better on tap but it is still pretty good out of a bottle. It's definitely worth trying but I think that Apocalypse Cow is better.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

From notes:

Pours a dark ruby/golden orange color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy, pillowy white foam head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that lingers throughout the entire glass and coats the pint with large chunks of soapy lacing.

Dank, resinous hop aroma with lots of earthy pine and citrus fruit notes. Hints if grapefruit, pineapple and lemon peel as well as pine needle and sunlte malt presence that takes away from the hops slightly.

Chewy full body with lots of uber fresh dank, oily hop flavor. Plenty of sweet citrus fruit notes as well as earthy bitter pine flavorthat the aroma suggested. Hints of grapefruit, pineapple, mango and lemon peel. The malt backbone is present and provides nice balance but isn't as prominent as the aroma suggests. There is a sligt lactic/creamy quality mid-palate that makes this beer extremely quaffable. The perfect balance of bitter, floral, sweet and slight malt. The ABV is excellently masked and there is a bitter dry finish. One of the best IPAs I've ever had.

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

Reviewed blind as part of the blind beer bif #3

Bottle 3 from Box 2 thanks to Khazadum

Poured into my Reinaert Tulip glass while trying to stay up to see the cloud covered lunar eclipse.

A - Pours a hazy pale orange with 2 inches of thick white foam that took its time fading

S - grapefruit and a slight medicinal aroma dominates

T - the grapefruit & pineapple along with cherries? some piney hops as well and there is a malty caramel backbone finishing with a slight bitterness
seems like an imperial ipa

M/D medium bodied with good carbonation, slightly syrupy, and a slightly dry finish, I'm really enjoying the taste and could have a few of this

rip off the paper...Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Very tasty beer indeed. Its been quite a while, years, since I've had one and I forgot how much I like it. I wish it was easier for me to get here in PA. Nice choice to send.

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub