Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,784
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

brian44556 set me up with this one in a trade we did a few weeks ago. I have heard a lot of good things about Three Floyds, and I have been looking forward to drinking this one.

The beer pours a slightly hazy copper orange with a creamy one finger white head. The beer did travel from Kentucky, so some of the haziness may come from traveling UPS. After a few minutes the head fades to a small thin ring. The aroma is fantastic! I'm initially hit with fresh tart grapefruit, orange, tangerine, mango and pineapple. I wouldn't have expected all of these aromas to come off so distinct and fresh, but they do and are very inviting.

The first sip is everything I could have hoped for and expected from that aroma. Bitter grapefruit is the first flavor that shows up, and then I'm hit with oranges and those tropical fruits. In the end there is almost a pithy flavor which makes it feel like they actually ground up a grapefruit and threw it in the bottle. The beer is rich and creamy on the tongue with just enough carbonation.

This is one of those beers with tons of hype surrounding it, but this one lives up to the expectations unlike many others. The flavors are so fresh and crisp! Somewhere in this beer they hid 9%+ alcohol, but I haven't been able to find it. I sure wish Three Floyds distributed to Pennsylvania, but at least I have a friend in Kentucky who is willing to trade for this fantastic beer.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

I've been searching for this beer for over five years, being I'm on the East Coast, Three Floyds stuff is really hard to find. 'Finally found some while on a Chicago business trip recently, ended up bringing (3) bottles home.

A - Pours a clear dark orange color with mild carbonation and a very thin, finely bubbled, white creamy ring.

S - The nose is dripping with ripe pineapple, juicy orange, mango, spices, and some pine. The bouquet is dominated by tropical fruit with any malt pushed far in the background.

T - Vibrant tropical fruit throughout with mild malt undertones. The bitter hopping hits the front of the tongue immediately and lingers long after it's past the gums and down the throat. Pine, grapefruit, and other citrus fruit dance around the tongue. Right away I noticed a spicey warming in the back of the throat as it makes it way down and continues a warming effect for several minutes afterwards. Long lingering orange metallic coating in the mouth.

M - medium bodied with mildly moderate carbonation on the tongue. Lip smacking sticky on the lips.

D - Incredibly HIGH, this stuff is AWESOME! It's a hop lover's ideal beer and well worth the long agony of searching for.

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle split with a friend. Served slightly chilled and brought up to room temperature. Big thanks to Twig86 for this,

Appearance: Cloudy bright orange in color with a two finger pillowy white head. Good retention. Also, as this settles, a decent amount of greenish blue yeast forms at that bottom.

Aroma: Really pungent pine notes assert themselves upfront. Some light grapefruit and floral notes too, but the pine notes from the hops dominate.

Taste: The pine notes from the hops really dominate and they are absurbly bitter. The initial buest is truly all pine. There is a slight caramel and buttery undertone here. The pine notes are just too much here for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. A bit sticky with a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: The ABV is well hidden, but the really piney hops make me think I couldn't have much more than a bomber.

Overall, a big and interesting IPA, but I felt slightly dissappointed. The pine notes in the hops were completely overpowering and bitter. I usually enjoy really dominate hops, but this profile was a bit different. Also, the buttery aftertaste was slightly offputting. Not something I would seek out again.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to friend and BAer chrizzle for this amazing beer!

A - Poured in my new Harpoon Leviathan glass. Mountain of dense, creamy, slightly off-white head that really sticks to the glass. Rusty gold in color and very clear. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the appearance.

S - Nothings but loads of fresh, raw hops in the aroma, ranging in character from grass clippings and pine to lemon zest and grapefruit.

T - As expected, tons of fruity hop taste up front followed by a pucker-inducing hop bitterness. Moderately acidic, as well. One of the most intricate hop characters in any beer! I only wish there was a bit more malt kick to back up all these hops.

M/D - Sticky-icky mouth and an aftertaste that lingers. I miss this beer so much after moving away from Indy. Thanks again, chrizzle, for the great beer and glass! Everyone must try this beer at least once.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to spica66 and his friend for the hookup. From the brewery and drunk w/in a month after believed bottling date.

Bottle into 7oz glass, split 3 ways. From notes.

Appearance: Dark, hazy orange. A bit murky, nice head with good retention. It is a very appealing color.

Aroma is full of orange and bitters.

Solid mouthfull of hops. Hop bitterness is forward and present through the finish. There is a lot of flavor to work around, well balanced in that it's not too piney/fruity/floral. Other folks found more fruit notes, or the bitterness more forward (from the same bottle) so this is certainly a complex brew that nicely allows for a wide range of palate's to enjoy it differently.

Fairly bitter, solid carbonation, alcohol is upfront but not dominant.

Damn drinkable. I split this with my cousin and brother and both agreed each could have had their own bottle without much effort.

(35)

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

NOW I know what the hype is behind this beer....

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Dark orange with one finger dense head that left amazing lacing and had perfect retention. This one bursts with a huge citrus hop aroma with a sweet malty backbone. This beer has one of the best aroma's I've experienced to date...

Taste- Nothing but well balanced citrus BANG in this beer. Mango, grapefruit, and a piney, hoppy bit at the end that wasn't too much, but perfect. I want this beer to last forever...

Carbonation is right on with this one...good feel for sure. If i had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life this one might take the medal. There is so much going on this beer it's absolutely fun to drink. Well done FFF.

Thanks to goodstrongbeer for this one. I poured from a bomber into a snifter. The pour is deep, clear orange with a sticky 2 inch head. The aroma is full of sweet citrus and tropical fruit. The beer taste like it smells, with grapefruit, and pineapple. It has a lingering bitter finish. Dreadnaught is full in body, well carbonated, and has a sticky mouthfeel. My expectations for this beer were very high and it fell a bit short.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on 2010-11-01 in Mattoon, IL from a 22 oz bomber.

A - Golden orange with a 1-finger, off white head.

S - Very fragrent from a yard away. Sweet, like an orange creamsicle dipped in mango. Some hop floral and pine cuts through.

T - Very good. Plenty of citrus and floral hops. The tropical flavors aren't overcome by the caramel malt. There is plenty of bitterness, especially on the aftertaste. I'm glad it isn't as sweet as I would have expected from the smell. I taste the alcohol but it is subtle and compliments the brew. Well done.

M - Thick and moderately resinous. Medium carbonation. It does coat the mouth and leaves a lingering sweetness and bitterness, which I much appreciate. Not as prickly as a Sierra Nevada Ghidorah but leaning that way; again a characteristic I very much value. In the same league as Pliny the Elder, SN Ghidorah and SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest and Sculpin. That's saying a lot for me.

D - It's delicious. My style of DIPA. Wish I could get it in PA.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

A big thanks to TCgoalie for supplying this delicious beer!

Appearance: Poured from a 22oz bomber into a large wine glass. Color is a beautiful burnt yellow with a big-bubbled, white one-finger head. Good retention and lacing. There is some fairly evenly displaced carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell: Pretty spectacular aroma coming from this beer. Lots of sweet pineapple and some grainy malt. I am definitely picking up the peach and mango the label speaks of, as the hop aroma is more tropical and sweet than bitter.

Taste: The hops do not disappoint in the flavor as well. I was thinking that with the warmth of the smell, this one might be a touch on the malty side, but that was definitely not the case. The hop bitterness smacks your tongue around right from the word go and sticks with you from start to finish. Complexity and depth of flavor increase as the beer warms and result in a well-balanced, delicious DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, fairly bitter, with a well-hidden ABV.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a double. I'm not sure I could distinguish this from a lesser alcoholic beer if blindfolded while drinking. I could definitely down a couple of these, although I would then find myself on the floor wondering what had happened.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an old rating from a case of very fresh bottles.

Many, many fresh bottles consumed of this highest of worthies. Nose is breathtaking, brings you into a lush forest of pines, persimmons, and peahens. Explosions of grapefruit rind mingle with bright, vibrant pinecones and soft, light fruits to weave a delicious tapestry of a mysterious dream. Fresh indian spices seem to soar somewhere near the top, electric and exciting. Further underneath is a soft caramel and a quiet weeping. Vibrant, exciting, transcendent, and worthy of the highest respects and most solemn honors.

As I'm just entering some old reviews here I can't help but notice that this one read more like a poem than an actual review. I didn't really impress the level of prickly, bitter citrus here, which was mind-bending. The ultra fresh bottles of this from around 2007 were better than Pliny the Younger and were the best examples of this style I've had.

2.88/5  rDev -34.7%

From the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Got this in a nice BIF box from Sopernicus.

A - Hazy orange body with a white head on top

S - Big citrus hop flavor with what smells like a decent malt backbone to stand up to it.

T - Pretty balanced. A mix of citrus hops with a big malt backbone. Kind of boozy. Way more malt notes than I expected from this. Not nearly as hoppy as I expected

M - medium bodied, pretty good amoun of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. A decent beer but not an great one. sadly there are no dates present on the bottle so I have no way of knowing how fresh this is. I dunno the more I drink this the more let down I feel. Way too malty and boozy for a DIPA. I hope to try this on tap one day so I know what it tastes like fresh.

Had this out of the bottle at PPBS a few nights ago, thanks Sean. Been wanting to try this one for a while, glad to finally have the chance. Poured into a tulip and served just south of cellar temp.

Appearance: Red-orange hued brew with a small but billowy white head, that dissipates pretty rapidly. Good carbonation and nice lacing as it fades to empty.

Smell: Grapefruity-citrus with pine, crystal malt sweetness, and a little booze. The hops open up more and more as the beer warms, but this is not your San Diego IPA, complete with huge amounts of dry-hopping. The beer smells like a good IPA, but there lacks this "WHAM" effect that Sculpin, most Alpine IPAs, Just Outstanding, Pliny, etc have.

Taste: Citrusy-sweet, with much more boozy-biscuit than I am used to in IPAs. Hops are not as front-and-center as I'd expect from a brew this style, but they are still playing an active role with the ruby-red grapefruit and pine esters. I wish the crystal malt weren't so present, though. I don't see how much it really adds to much beyond take away somewhat from the glory of the hop.

Mouthfeel: Resinous and bitter, finishing warm from the ABV. This is one of the few DIPAs that actually drinks above its ABV, and there is no mistaking this brew pushes 10%. Bitterness is active as it goes along, really marking its IPA territory.

Drinkability: Again, good, not great. Booze and alcohol, along with the sweetness, limit this from being too drinkable, but the hoppy, resinous IPA still buys back its enjoyability. In all, recommended if you can easily get it, but I would have a hard time trading too many San Diego IPAs for this one. If it were regularly available out here, I don't know how often I'd pick it up with the plethora of options in the DIPA department.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a nice hazy golden color. a nice amount of bubbly head.

S.

powerful aroma of citrusy (grapefruit, mango, pineapple) hops and some nice caramelly malt smells. Maybe some subtle piney and flowerly hops in there as well.

T.

Just as aroma. A very hoppy and bitter taste in there. The sweet malts mellow it out a bit but still finishes a little bitter. Great tasting for a double IPA.

M.

medium bodied and perfect carbonation. bitterness and flavor really stays on your tongue for awhile.

D.

A great tasting DIPA, but 1 is about all I can handle at a time. Especially this being the first beer of the day for me. If you're into bitter beers, this is an awesome one.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Reviewed from notes on 10/7/10. Thank you, TCGoalie, for picking up this gem for me.

A: Pours a strikingly attractive golden-garnet and quite clear into a snifter, allowing an unimpeded view of swiftly moving carbonation bubbles. A little head disappears to leave an almost full cover of light khaki film. The lacing is top notch - very splashy, sticky, and fine.

S: Wow, this is a fresh tropical fruit bonanza. Loads of mango, pineapple, and melon smells pair with fresh peach and orange aromas. A slick hop oil smell is present, along with a sweet caramel malt smell. This bouquet just shouts, "FRESH HOPS!" This is a large highly enticing smell.

T: At the get-go, the caramel malt base asserts its delicious flavor, then the taste seamlessly transitions to heavenly tropical fruit and citrus hop yumminess. This sweet, fruity hop presence then rolls into a biting, bitter, high alpha-acid hop finish that lingers on the sides of my palate seemingly forever. The component ingredients of this beer meld together so well and result in just a scrumptious Imperial IPA.

M: So slick and smooth of a feel graces my mouth at first. It is oily in an oh so good way. This smoothness then perfectly flows into a crisp, drying bite of a hop finish, that lingers for soooo long. Dreadnaught is a hearty medium bodied brew with just about perfect carbonation.

D: I cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed this beer. I find it to be so drinkable for the style, with a perfect balance between caramel malt sweetness and delicious hop flavor. Combine that with an absolutely gorgeous color and how easily the beer goes down and you have an amazing creation. I will be stocking up on fresh Dreadnaught the next time I roll through Indiana. Cheers, Three Floyds!

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Received as a mistake in a BIF, thanks again Kevin!

Poured into a SA Perfect Pint with a golden honey color that is only slightly hazy but is still mostly clear. Has a 2 finger fluffy white head that has good retention and great lacing. Smells mostly of grapefruit, mango, and pineapple with a good floral presence too and a little grain and sweetness from the malt. To describe the taste in one word, it would be juicy. All of the citrus and tropical fruits one can think of experiencing from hops are in here. The citrus fades to a bitter pine resin flavor that lingers and combines with the sweet and slightly wheaty malt presence that balances the taste out nicely. Feels a bit thin in body, but it is still coating and sticky, oddly enough. Moderate carbonation. Drinks so much better than any other DIPA I've ever had. This is not what I was expecting, and that is a great thing. I think I might be coming around to hop-bombs, and its beers like this that are making a strong case to buy IPAs and DIPAs more often. Still, I'm not sure if I think that a bomber of this is too much in one sitting, but I'm more sure that 12 oz. wouldn't be enough.

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

22oz, thanks fear025. Into Newport Storm tulip.

A- Caramel amber beer, nice dark coloration, super huge head with sticky lacing. Wow.

S- Nice malt and aggressive citrus hops.

T- Bitter f'in hops! Quite an assault. Nice malt backbone but the hops are in charge. Pine resin, very faint agave and grapefruit rind round it out.

M- Great lingering bitterness, this beer shines in the finish. ABV is perfect.. well, maybe just shy of perfect, a bit hot on occasion.

D- One and done, but I'd buy this on the regular if I could. A fantastic DIPA. I'm impressed.

A - Bright gold with thick head as white as clouds. The head clings to the glass as if trying to escape from the hops. High carbonation that shows you how active this beer is in smell and taste. An amazing display! To add, the head laces the glass so well, you can see where each previous drink was.

S - Citrus and HOPS with caramel notes. The floral hops are giving off an exceptional, powerful aroma.

T - Citrus and caramel at first, but then the hops overwhelm you (in a great way). The hop taste will linger in your mouth for quite a while.

M - High carbonation to balance out the powerful hops.

D - There is no denying I love this beer. The drinkability is amazing. Depending on how people feel about powerful hop taste is the difference in drinkability. For me this is perfect!

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of off white head. This beer is orange/amber in color. The aroma is wonderful. It is full of tropical and citrus fruits. The taste is full of those fruits as well. The malt balances this beer out. The 9.5 ABV is hidden well. This is a very good beer.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. No date or info.

A - Hazy golden amber in color, it shines decently with a low-forming bone-colored head. Good retention with lots of spotty lace left over.

S - Hoptacular! Tons of freshly picked-smelling cascade and chinook hops just waft out of the brew freely. Notes of grapefruit citrus fall behind the pine needle. Rich caramel malts fill the aroma behind the hops providing a nice backbone.

T - It's not massively bitter which is what I was expecting from the nose. Lots of balanced hop flavor. Grapefruit resin and pine needle with hints of mango and lots of sweet caramel notes in the background.

M - Medium-bodied and sweet with a moderately bitter finish. Resiny and dry lingering. A good carbonation level adds a bit of a crisp finish.

D - Better shared but it's a good DIPA. I like this one a lot, not too bitter, good balance, nice flavor. Very well-done double. No hint of the alcohol that's in it at all.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

REALLY excited to taste and review this beer; been wanting to try it for a while. Big thanks to klshanks for the hookup, awesome trader!

A: pour into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass yeilds a lovely hazed gold-tan beer with a 1" beige head. Receding creates lacing that just wont quit.

S: Some serious dank hops at work here. Layers upon layers of citrus rind and sticky pine. Tone of baking bread underneath and a slight alcoholic nip on the back end. Nice. I'm getting giddy.

T: Yesss...This is the good stuff. Super complex and balanced, much more balanced than I expected. Superb hop overtones with massive pine and grapefruit, and tight controlled bitterness. Not palate crushing by any means and well maintained by a bready and semisweet malt backing. Alcohol comes into the picture without ever being solvent or fusel. Only complaint from me is that I would like a little bit more bitterness. I wish I had a date on the bottle so I could determine if the bitterness has faded from a bit of time or if this is what the brewer intended.

M: Nice and creamy. Fantastic rich body that has power and presence but never becomes cloying. Medium carbonation agitates the flavors out of the beer but is not prickly or overbearing.

D: Good for what the beer is; this guy isn't meant to be thrown down quickly or in large quantities. 22oz is more than enough.

All in all, this beer is not quite what I expected. It is every bit as good as I thought it was going to be but in a different manner. Really well done, and I hope one day I get the opportunity to catch a fresh pint at the source.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Bomber poured into a snifter

A- Poured a hazy, dark orange into the snifter. About 1 finger and a half of fluffy white head that sticks around, and sticks to the glass nicely.

S- Strong hops and a little piney. Citrus notes tickle the back of your nostril too.

T- Oh, my! Strong citrus, strong grapefruit, strong hops. Very wonderfully done...almost, sexy.

M- Bubbly and light. Very citrusy, may get a lil' pucker action.

D- I have found my new 'Go-To' DIPA!!! Very drinkable, especially for the ABV.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle. Pours a deep orange amber color with a flufy white, slightly tan head that collars around the glass as it settles. Nice lace forms as the head goes down. A very malty, sweet smelling citrus hop flavor eminates from the nose. Very nice smelling. Tropical fruit type aroma. Nice medium mouthfeel. The taste is sweet upfront with a nice fruity, hoppy flavors that lingers for a while. Very slight alcohol bite at the end. Very easy drinking for being a 9.5%. Really well balanced beer. Totally deserves to be rated as high as it is.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

A: A hazy amber hue with orange highlights body and a decent size creamy head that leaves great lacing on the glass.

S: I can't decide if it's pineapple or grapefruit I'm picking up in the aroma, but it's definitely blended with piney hops. A very sweet smelling beer with fruity esters, loads of hops, a soft caramel malts in the background.

T: One of the sweeter DIPAs I've had, but is perfectly balanced with a much needed bitter aftertaste. Smooth grapefruit, light hops, sweet pineapple, mango, white sugars, and a noticable caramel malts are a great blend on the palate. Not as hoppy as some DIPAs, but still one of the better ones I've tried.

M: Medium body with lively carbonation and light syrup texture.

D: My first FFF and it was not a let down. Great beer that is extremely easy to drink. Highly recommend to any DIPA lover.

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

Thanks Dankbeers619! You are one dirty bastard when it comes to bottle sharing (in an exceptionally good way).

A - Slight murky orange copper with a ling lasting big whitish head. Little lacing.

S - Big citrusy huge piny hop aroma, little bit of sweet malts. Lite fruity esters. A little alcohol.

F/M - Piny resinous citrusy hops. Quite resinous. Light caramel maltiness, little bit bready. Very bitter. Dry, slightly astringent finish. Lingering piny aftertaste. Medium body, moderate carbonation, light alcoholic warmth.

D - Good, clean and easy drinking. Too much resinous flavors, but that's okay. Quite flavorful and worthy of another glass.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

This was a late addition to the tasting lineup as a friend had unexpectedly brought this back from Chicago for Trey. Trey was nice enough to share this with me.

Poured into a tulip, the color is deep orange amber. Capped off by a great thick and coarse head that leaves spotty gobs of lacing, this is a beautiful pour.

An explosion of citrus reminiscent of west coast IPAs. Grapefruit, pineapple, orange zest, and a huge dank hop bitterness inundate the nose. The taste is again intense grapefruit, hints of pineapple, but a great floral character slides in there as well. There is a good malt backbone that just serves to balance a bit of the bitterness but doesn't add noticeable sweetness. The alcohol is not easily found, as I had this pegged for a 7%er.

Resinous and sticky, hops are the story of this beer. This is one that a) I wish were distributed in Philly, and b) I wish didn't fly off the shelves so quickly in the midwest so that I could get my hands on it more easily.

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub