Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,741
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Beautiful beer. Nice amber color with fluffy white head floaty on top. Strong scents of grapefruit/pineapple/pine coming off of this. The taste has quite a strong hop profile, dries the mouth out a bit. Wonderful grapefruit aftertaste, slight sweetness mid-profile. Surprisingly light mouthfeel for an almost 10% DIPA. Wonderfully drinkable. Awesome DIPA.

youngblood, Mar 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

A= Great translucent amber color with a small head that is dense and leaves some spotty lacing. The head lasts throughout the entire drink surprisingly.
S= I can smell sweet hops from a ways away. A lot of grapefruit comes in. Smells like a sweet ripe Texas ruby red grapefruit. Some softer orange comes in as well but not as predominate.
T= Smooth grapefruit. Very nice soft hop taste. Not overly bitter but still has a nice bit to it. Just right. Possible small amounts of the pineapple you taste in some hops just because it's so sweet. Delicious
M= Low carbonation which I really enjoy with the style. All IPAs should have a low carbonation in my opinion it makes it so much smoother
D= Very high. This beer was great. I wish Minnesota got Three Floyds. Lives up to everything that I expected.

jjanega08, Mar 31, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

So, yeah, hey, I really liked this right off the bat. The color is a bit light (way light) and the head? What head? But it smells good and tastes good. Of course, then I thought about it for a couple of seconds. Right. Of course I like this right off - it tastes really familiar... Why, it's just like a Cascazilla! I ran down to the local store and grabbed one - to compare. So, here's the deal... The dreadnaught is like cascazilla with a little HSA thrown in (for a little more body and a bit of diacetyl). Well, and the color is a little lighter than the cascazilla, too.

Funny thing is that more of you have tasted this than the other so the comparison isn't going to mean squat to you. What it means to me is that this is pretty darned good, but. Yeah. But. I had the other first so I like it better so neener. Or, if you just upped the body on the casazilla, why, you could have just about the same beer (don't talk to me about 10 - that's got nothing to do with cascazilla or dreadnaught either, for that matter).

OK, enough editorializing, I suppose. Now about the beer... Well... Darn it - it's a weak and pale cascazilla (with more body)! Arg! I mean, seriously. It's good beer, but drinking side by side you really get the feeling it's the same beer only more flavor in the casca and more body (and diacetyl) in the dreadnaught.

So, um. In terms of a DIPA, yeah, it's pretty close to there. Could use some more body and siome more bitterness. Balance seems pretty good for where it is. It's a good beer. Nice and hoppy. Nice. Needs more to be excellent.

charlesw, Mar 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -14%

Pours incredibly clear, a nice amber color. This is only my second beer from FFF, both have been crystal clear.

Smell is really pine like. Wasn't too big on it at first but I began to warm up to it after a few sips.

Taste pretty much backs up the smell; very pine like, a bit of a grapefruit taste.

Pretty drinkable, the alcohol is well hidden.

Not a bad DIPA, but not my favorite. Glad I had it but probably a one time taste given what seems to be a bit expensive for this one.

jpalarchio, Mar 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

I finally got my hands on one of these thanks to my sister taking a recent trip to Chicago.

Pours pinkish orange with a light fizzy head. Smell is pure grapefruit.. maybe with a hint of pine needles. There's a strong flood of bitter hops and grapefruit right away which stays with you. Finish is bitter pine syrup. Alcohol (nearly 10%ABV) is hidden fairly well, and doesn't really stand out at all. Thick and creamy mouthfeel.

This isn't the hoppiest or most overwhelming IPA I've had, but it is extremely drinkable and very enjoyable. Excellent.

webmanspidey, Mar 27, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend at Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a very clear brownish orange color with a small amount of off-white head that dissipates quickly into a slight haze. The bubbles stick to the side of the glass on occasion. The ABV is a bit high on this one so maybe that affects the retention and lacing.

S: Now this is a hoppy aroma. I can not smell anything except hop aroma. Floral, citrus, and piney all mingled together in harmony. Absolutely wonderful aroma.

T: Based on the aroma, I expected an over the top bitter experience. However, just like the aroma, the mix of flavors is absolutely perfect. It is like a symphony of hop flavors in the mouth. The finish is really clean and not really bitter at all. A perfect example of using hops for flavor. The alcohol level does not come through in the flavor at all.

M: A unique experience for an IPA. It is very full bodied and thick compared to most others in the style. The carbonation makes it smooth and creamy as well.

D: It goes down pretty easily for such a high hopped and ABV beer. The alcohol is well hidden and the hoppy flavor is fantastic without being bitter.

I will be honest, I really did not want to like this beer this much. I think there prices on their beers are pretty high, and the limited distribution really is a pain in the ass. With that said, I have to give this beer its due. I think it is one of the best beers that I have ever had, certainly the best of the style that I have had.

GatorBeerNerd, Mar 24, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Got a bottle from Jeager. Thanks man.

Pours a nice amber color. No head but a little lacing.

Smell is awesome. I know this is a fresh one because it smells so great. Lots of pine and citrius and good caramel malt background.

Taste is wonderfull. Very close up there with Pliny the Elder but I still like elder. Still number 3 IPA I have ever had. So good. Lots of awesome hop flavor and bitterness. Great malt balance. Man I can't wait to trade for more of these.

Mouthfeel is a little more viscous than I would like it but I'm just being picky now.

Overall an awesome DIPA that I could drink all night if I found it on tap or could buy it here.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 22, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

YAY my 200's Review, I have drank a few of these bottle already and I might as well get around to reviewing it :)

This beer pours an clear orangy amber with a 1 fingered white head and some lacing. The smell is amazing lots of pine, some nut and lots of malt. The taste is wonderful as well, big piney hops matched with a wonderful malt base, everything is balanced very well. The mouthfeel is nice, the carbonation level seems a little low. A highly drinkable brew for nearly 10% I will have to pick up more the next time I am in the area.

Biggness, Mar 21, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Hazy medium orange color. Two fingers of thick creamy white head. Good retention, leaves lots of lacing.

4.0 S: Floral and citrus hops mainly. Orange stands out. Some caramel maltiness too. Not a whole hell of a lot of aroma though.

4.5 T: Very complex set of citrus and hop sensations. A variety of fruits: grapefruit, orange, perhaps a bit of lemon too. Not overly bitter, hops are showcased instead in the flavor. Malts add a balancing bit of sweetness, but honestly who gives a crap about malts in a hopbomb.

4.5 M: Medium body. Not heavy at all, but still doubly creamy and very smooth.

5.0 D: Very good obviously. No flaws, but not perfection either.

DavoleBomb, Mar 14, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz. into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Light gold from the bottle, deep copper with orange highlights in the glass. The head is one finger tall, off-white, and is comprised of small, tightly packed bubbles that sink to form a thin cap on top.

A: One of the best hop-explosive noses around! So citrusy and tropical with aromas that remind me of grapefruits, oranges, peaches, and melons. Just great!

T: Very tropical on the tongue! Sweet, toasted sugar cookie malt does just enough to support the incredible hop bill in this one. The hops just explode onto the scene and unleash an unbridled brilliance that is matched by very few. They're bright & fresh, vibrant & leafy, coating the taste buds but never frying them. Flavors are of grapefruit pith, clementines, peaches, melons, and pineapples, while caramel lays underneath for a nice added sweetness. The alcohol is completely hidden away from the taste receptors. This is absolutely fantastic!

M & D: Dreadnaught is full-bodied, thick, creamy, luscious, and smooth as can be. Drinkability is great! I could drink this all night long, or until I couldn't stand upright anymore!

Notes: This is one extremely flavorful hop-tastic DIPA with plenty of power to spare! An instant classic, immediately vaulting to the top of the my favorites list. One of the brightest shining stars in an endless galaxy of Double IPA's. Highly recommended is an understatement! I beg of you Three Floyd's, distribute this to the West Coast immediately!!!

sweetbrew82, Mar 14, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint.

Pours a brilliant medium straw with a smallish head that although not enormous, doesn't fade immediately.

Aroma is of floral, sweet and fruity hops. Hop aroma is muddled with estery weiss yeast like aromas. Banana and bubble gum with a hint of orange. Hops turn to pungent as you inhale and the bitter characteristics come through. Malt backbone shows but is somewhat muted by the hop aroma.

Flavor is immediate floral, fruity hops. Fresh grapefruit and orange zest with a malt backing that almost balances. Middle is chewy malt with a estery phenolic alcohol bite. Malt is sweet and very nicely placed in the beer. Buttery and doughy with butterscotch and caramel flavors. Finishes dry despite the sweetness of the malt as the hops come through in the end to stab your tongue.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick. Mosty oily although the dryness the hops impart give a bit of a rough edge. Drinkability is dangerously good for something with this ABV.

Very nice IPA, I would buy it again.

wheatyweiss, Mar 13, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

I had the honor of tasting two different releases of Dreadnaught, and this tasting was a major event in my brew-education (not quite as brutal a lesson as the night I discovered that 5 green flashes after several other beers on an empty stomach may in fact cause sever hangover-like symptoms...respect beer indeed!).

Anyway, what an astonishing difference a mere 6 months makes! (I tried the just-released and prior release).

Appearance: New was perfectly clear, with a brown amber color (similar to Nugget Nectar), the not-as-new was somewhat cloudy.

Smell: The new one reeked of fresh cat urine (in a good way!), the until-recently-newest had much more of a burnt-sugar aroma...more like an amber

Taste: Hey, you know what, they are both delicious, just not remotely similar!! The new release is bursting with hops that edge to creaminess before settling into a wonderfully long bitter hops finish. The new-but-not-as-new-as-the-newest release had a much more distinct honey and butterscotch flavor...pleasant but much sweeter.

Feel and drinkability. They both were just fine, thank you very much.

In the final analysis, while the newly-not-new was a fine beer, the NEW release was a friggin' treat!!!

Grandwazoo, Mar 13, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. It pours a nice copper color. A 1/2 inch off-white head forms and quickly reduces to a thin lacing. No sediment and minimal visible carbonation.

The aroma is a nice mix of citrus fruits (primarily grapefruit) and pine. There is a slight spiciness to the nose and alcohol is hidden. A certain malty sweetness is also present.

The taste is similar to the aroma with some additions. The pine and grapefruit from the hops are present but there is also an earthy, almost moss-like component and mild maltiness.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. There is a great level of carbonation that highlights the flavor. It is not too dry and leaves a nice spicy feeling initially and a pleasant sensation at the finish and a medium body overall.

Overall, this is a very good beer. The alcohol is very well hidden to me and the flavors are well managed. Given the strength, it is important to watch how much you drink though. I will certainly keep my eyes open for this in the future.

SykDoc, Mar 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a brownish copper color with very thin white head into a Courtyard by Marriott plastic, waxy white hotel guest cup.

Malty sweet aroma. Don't pick up significant hop aroma. The malt may balance it out.

First couple of sips have a big, well-balanced flavor to them. I'm not sure if the sweetness and body comes entirely from the malt or if massive late hop additions factor in to the flavor and mouthfeel. In either case, I like it.

Delicate lacing on the top ridges of the plastic hotel cup. Thin, cheap walls of the cup allows the beer to warm to the appropriate temperature effortlessly with the grasp of my hand.

I may have recently lost my sense of bitterness. I'm not picking it up on this one. Very smooth which is fine in my book. A slight belch 1/4 of the way through produces a wonderful hop flavor.

Yetiman420, Mar 12, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Masterski for providing this in a recent trade. Alex is an excellent trader and a man of his word.

Poured with about a finger of head that faded fairly quickly. Some sticky lacing clung to the inside of the glass. The beer itself was a very bright golden amber color with excellent clarity. It was interesting how bright the beer was.

Big/Fresh aroma that was a smack of Citrus at first then trailed off to some other layered scents. There was a hint of some slight alcohol. I was getting some nice fruits in the aroma. Nothing I could pull out specifically. At this point I sometimes not "tropical" as they seem to be a bit sweeter in nature.

The flavor was big, bold and wonderful. Smooth cracker malt, honey and a big smack of grapefruit hops. Some of those same tropical fruits were present in the flavor and towards the end you got a sense of some resin sticky pine flavors. The slightest warming from the alcohol, but it plays behind the hops and you almost don't notice it.

Just shy of sticky, but also a bright mouth feel with the proper amount of carbonation to lighten the load. Medium bodied.

Very Drinkable and a wonderful DPA.

** This is one to drink fresh. We did a comparison with a fresh bottle and one with a bit of age on it. (maybe 6 months) Two totally different beers. The older beer was much more ripe pineapple and malt based. The fresh one just screamed fresh hops.

Reagan1984, Mar 11, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this in a trade with fogdog. Kevin, you rock!

Decided to share this with lynx1245. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Densely cloudy, orange-peach skin colored body with small, loose, peachy off-white head on top. The body is really something else - absolutely gorgeous color! For being so loose, the head retains pretty well and leaves nice, crusty lacing on the walls of the glass. "Pretty damn pretty," claims Wiseman Jorge.

Smell: Caramel malt + resiny hops = SMACK! (I don't know, that's just what it said in my notes.) Sweet, candied fruit aromas everywhere - mandarin orange, tangerine, and honeydew melon stand out the most. Moist pine and hop resin abound. Tons of sweetness, but not cloying. Complex and totally mouth-watering.

Taste: Much more bitter than I expected. I haven't been too fond of the other FFF IPA's. Bready yeast starts it off, and bitter, herbal hops and pine finish it. Bitter piney hops and caramel malt throughout. Citrus peeks through briefly in the middle, but is nowhere near as pronounced as it was in the smell. This beer is deliciously balanced!

Mouthfeel: Fairly syrupy and definitely full in body. Large presence of both hops and malt. Carbonation provides for excellent smoothness and a delicate tingle. Mild mouth-numbing and pretty chewy.

Drinkability: This is awesome! The only thing preventing me from drinking more is the fact that I only have one bottle. Citrus comes out more with time. Tastes absolutely delicious, but its a bit heavy.

ThreeWiseMen, Mar 08, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Acquired via trade from Chicago. Thanks again rudylaw

Poured into a big snifter as I was hoping for the scent of grapefruit to give my nose hairs pleasant seizures.

A: Darker than Alpha King, yesum. Better lacing as well, but less carbonation. Nice new shiny bottle.

S: Not as overwhelming as I thought, but full of a good citrus spectrum of hops in addition to sweet malt.

T: Fantastic, if this were Alpha Kings brother it sure be the alpha male. Great pineapple like hop, hops that stick around for the whole taste. Midway this DIPA is mildly acidic and gives way to some caramel like malt. The only thing that lingers is some earthy goodness.

M: Thick and syrupy, love how this guy coats the palate. Definately mild heat from the alcohol, but all very very pleasant.

D: High ABV would limit drinking a lot of these and well the availability of it in Minnesota.

MPLS, Mar 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle courtesy of Perry's in Livermore...Poured a nice dark golden and clear color with an average head and lacing. A sweet and fruity scent up front with the hop scent coming towards the end. Taste is very balanced...may be the best balance of malt to hops I've ever tasted. A very nice citrus flavor with the sweet malt flavor can't get any better. Overall one of the best Imperials that I've had to date.

hophead247, Mar 06, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -5%

A: Cloudy amber appearance with a bit of white head, some lacing.
S: I love this smell, those citrusy hops with a hint of biscuity malts
T: Citrusy hops and then a bitter pine taste, nice a hoppy.
M: Full bodied for the style with some carbonation.
D: I love it but couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 at a time.

strangebrew52, Mar 05, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

The aroma is very nice with pine, citrus, flowers, mango, peach, and caramel. The appearance is hazy amber with an average head for the style. The flavor is like the aroma with a very bitter finish. The palate is typical for the style. Overall this is a decent beer but overrated.

nick76, Mar 02, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

22 oz. (older label?) courtesy of macdomer into a Mason jar. Great extra - thanks Ian!

Pours a copper-honey, quintessential IPA color with a smidge of haze. Small wisps of carbonation rise to the faint remains of a slightly buttery-eggshell-colored 1/2 finger head. Slight lemon hue shines through the translucence of this deal.

Almost perfect balance of abundant floral hoppiness and a mild yet prevalent caramel malt backbone. Sweetness exudes a faint alcohol burn. Citrus hops emerge with the warmth.

This is less of a hop bomb than I expected and that's by no means a bad thing...everyone needs a little balance in abundance once in a while. Sure, there are a lot of floral, mildly citrus and a bit grassy hops in here with a little twang of grapefruit rind but the malt keeps this more old-school. It provides a viscous husky backbone with a slight butterscotch/caramel sweetness...and a mild...very mild...alcohol burn.

I got no beef with the palate on this - there's perfect balance between silky hop oils and the natural caramel malt texture. Finish is long, clean...a little viscous and alcoholic...and velvety. "I'm needy...I'm inadequate...I got it all, baby!"

The only reason I haven't powered this down is because I'm too busy writing of its many virtues. Carbonation gives this enhancement to the citrus notes and extra brightness. A little more classic English notion than today's hop bombs but to say the least, this is well-crafted and quite enjoyable.

IBUnit63, Mar 01, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

A nice cloudy amber color pour with a thick white fluffy head that hangs around a while,lots of nice lacing left all the way down the glass. Aroma of hops,resin, high alpha hops such as citrus, peach, melon,and pine,with some sweet malty notes coming through.Flavor is awesome very fat and hoppy,you can feel the bitterness in your cheeks,piny,fruity hops and a nice sweet caramel,toffee malt backbone to balance things out. Very smooth mouthfeel,a little sticky. Nice bitter hop finish and just slightly boozy. Top shelf stuff for sure, one of my new favorites.

WakeandBake, Feb 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer is definitely one to admire: a very pretty copper orange; the head wasn't quite as full as I had pictured, but it stuck around for a while and left some incredible lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell was similar to that of other DIPAs: fruity, piney, wonderful... no other style can compete for my nose's admiration. The taste was... a bit like most other IPAs -- which is to say wonderful, but this one was a bit underwhelming for what I had looked forward to. Perhaps it was what everyone had built it up to be, but this one didn't strike me as any more challenging or enjoyable than Stone's run-of-the-mill IPAs or equally hoppy Southern California IPAs. Still, a very enjoyable brew. The 9.5% a.b.v. snuck up more than I had expected it to.

Intelligentsia, Feb 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Grabbed a new bottle hot of the line - they seem to have updated the label. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - One finger of creamy off-white foam with solid retention and terrific lacing - just wish there was a bit more volume. The beer itself is the color of filtered apple juice - a delightful transparent bronze, with streams of tiny bubbles lazily rising to the top.

S - Fresh hoppy goodness - tons of pine, tropical citrus, pineapple, and mango. Good balance, with a fair amount of caramel malt as well. This is the first IPA/DIPA that has really jumped out at me since Pliny the Younger.

T - Strong hop bitterness at the top of the palate, with more sweet tropical notes at the onset. The malt is more understated in the taste, but it's still there. The citrus has more of a tangy grapefruit & lemon zestiness and less of the sweet tangerine flavors found in the smell.

M - Medium body, nice carbonation tingle on the top of the lip, but not bloaty in the finish. Lots of hoppy resin sticks around after swallowing. A touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

D - This is going down dangerously fast - but it's not quite as quaffable as PtY. There's a tiniest hint of carbonation bloat, and while well hidden the alcohol is hovering at the fringes.

This is a LOT less bitter than I remember - perhaps they've refined the recipe? I have a feeling I'll drinking plenty of this in the near future.

MasterSki, Feb 25, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Lookin' good! Nice deep orange color with a couple fingers of head that leave nice lacing. When I first began pouring, I didn't think there would be much head but it developed very nicely.

S: Pine from the hops hits your nose first, followed by a nice citrusy smell, mostly pineapple and grapefruit.

T: Very nice... tastes just like it smells. Strong but not overpowering pine with the citrus hitting at the end. I'm still learning to taste the malt in my beers and can't comment. The bitterness from the hops hits just right with only the slightest hint of sweetness. The higher alcohol is well masked by the hops.

M: Medium bodied, Leaves the hoppy taste in your mouth that you know you love. Carbonation seems spot on.

D: A bit on the heavy side, it might be a bit hard to down a second bomber, but you know you want it.

sacullen, Feb 24, 2009