Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,785
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +2%

A - Golden orange with a fluffy, fuzzy, white two finger head. Recedes to about a centimeter of blanket on top of the beer.
S - Flowers, citrus, white grapes. Earthy as well.
T - Floral, appleskin, tart, mango, hops are well balanced, white grapes again. Delicious.
M - Fluffy and full, bitterness is long lasting but fitting.
D - Drinks great, well balanced, tasty beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Impossible to date in a frustrating way bomber into a tulip over time. Say that ten times fast.

Foggy pale orange with a dishwater soapy fluff that sticks to the surface like some horror film where oil billows to the surface of a beautiful Gulf from some underwater well creating some horrendous environmental debacle where some British accented douche attempts to make everything right in the world again, only to fail and be replaced by a softer, gentler side of some mega corporation. Thankfully, it's only a movie.

Nose is needly pine, tropical Starburst, and a healthy additional of caramel sundae with alcohol topping: slightly faded?

Easily the most tropically hoppy DIPA I've ever imbibed. Mango, Gummy peaches (my God were those fantastic), and very similar to the dried sugared papaya slices that have been calling me from the cabinet lately. Sugary sweet tropical hops lend to this beer having a rather unique hop profile.

Moutfeel is sticky, syrupy sweet and if a drop of this were to hit the floor, I believe the local ant population would go ape shit.

The drinkability is pretty good, but this beer is quite the gamble. The syrupy body can become a chore over time and for as many wonderful bottles as I've enjoyed, there have been an equal amount of dated duds. Why, oh why, does Three Floyds not date their bottles?

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

Big thanks to Lunch for this one! Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Pours a clear yellow orange with a three finger slightly off-white head that subsides to one finger very slowly. Maintains lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of tropical fruit, subtle malt, and nice hops. The flavor is of tropical fruit, malt, and a nice crisp hoppy followthrough with the tropical fruit mixing in with the hop flavor. It has a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this is a very interesting IIPA. All of the characteristics of this one is very nice. The hoppy followthrough isn't as smooth as usually enjoy but it is still not abrasive on the palate though. I can see why this brew gets such awesome reviews...

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a cloudy honey colored shade of orange with a paper thin white head that fades quickly. Little bit of lacing...disappointing, though the sheer whiteness of the head is great.

S- citrus hops, and they are strong and awesome. Getting some nice tropical fruits in there as well. Fantastic.

T- lots of citrus and tropical fruit...slight hints of bitterness. Balanced well

M- its really thick. Almost syrupy...works with the flavors, though.

D- pretty good. I'd take a bottle of Pliny 10 times outta 10, but its good

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

I have been looking forward to this beer for awhile, thanks to mothman for grabbing it from the brewpub for me, I am told it is merely 5 days old.

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a light bubbly one finger head. Pretty damn good.

Smell is very hoppy, lots of citrus and grapefruit, very good.

Smooth and creamy up front with a big wave of hops coming next. Lots of smooth creamy citrus hops with a light bready malt backbone to follow it up. This DIPA is unique and delicious.

Mouthfeel is awesome, smooth creamy and delicious. Very smooth mouthfeel, velvety on the tongue, superb.

Very drinkable as well, maybe too drinkable. Exceptional DIPA seek this one out if you are a hop head.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Many thanks to BlueJacket74 for hooking up this bottle!!

A- Poured from the 22oz. bottle with a 1/2" off-white head, which slowly receded to a haze layer with nice bit of lacing left behind. The body was a semi-opaque orange-tinged amber color with no visible carbonation.

S- Hop-forward with bucketloads of earthy hops... and a notably rich aroma of crackerlike vienna malt as well. While hop-forward, this is not overwhelmingly hoppy. Just simple, rich and elegant.

T- Starts out quite balanced with tons of that crackerlike vienna malt and earthy hop flavor. Midway, a mild hop bitterness kicks-in which slowly builds into the dry finish, which leaves an earthy-resinous flavor lingering. A wonderful dynamic as this beer progresses from balanced to hop-forward with each delicious sip!

M- Full bodied with a creaminess imparted by a soft and delicate carbonation. Slight astringency, which is to be expected for the style.

D- Incredibly drinkable for the 9.5% ABV. The alcohol is so well hidden throughout the aroma/flavor/mouthfeel. I would drink this stuff until I couldn't drink no more!

Thanks again Brian for hooking this up!!!

4.5/5  rDev +2%

A - Slightly hazy orange-amber with a 1-finger head that quickly dissipates to chunky bubbles. Leaves large, soap-bubble lacing.

S - Tons of juicy tropical fruit ; pineapple, mango, mandarin orange. Sweet caramel malt and pine resin. Lovely nose!

T - Not as tropical as I thought it would be, lots of grapefruit and pine resin. I'm also detecting an unusual (but pleasant) floral element, almost like rose water or hibiscus, that adds an unexpected depth of flavor. Sweet caramel malt backbone really helps the balance and keeps this from being a pure hop-bomb.

M - Medium-bodied with nice fizzy carbonation that really lingers on the tongue.

D - Great beer, my 22oz is going quickly. Certainly hoppy, but very balanced and drinkable. Yet another amazing brew out of 3 Floyds, this one definitely lives up to the hype and stands as a shining example of an American DIPA.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz bottle shared, poured into standard wine glass.

A: Foamy one finger head, that retreats rather quick. Leaving a foamy, thick lacing. Body is a burnt orange color, appearance shows a thick and full bodied beer.

S: A bold aromatic hop profile of grape, orange, peach and grapefruit. A true beer to sit and smell.

T/M: A full bodied, crisp and warming mouthfeel. Thick caramel and malt on the finish. A solid base of citrus hops thought. A very good IIPA in regards to taste and mouthfeel. A bit lacking on the end of complete package, the many complexities did not blend well together to make a solid, well rounded taste, the flavors all jumped out at different points and did not have the total effect I have experienced with other IIPAs.

D: Well a bit to expensive for the overall experience. I would get more for out-of-town friends, but for my goto IIPA, ehh not so much. But the ability to drink it woo, thats were this brew is kickin' up the points. I could not put the glass down, the flavors all were very intense. Great Brew, wish it was a bit cheaper, to make it a part of my goto stock.

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass

A: Not totally clear orange, some parts get to light amber while some are verging on deep orange, super dense cap that takes forever to decrease, super creamy off-white, stays .5 finger the whole time

S: Super fragrant hops, big juicy tropical fruits and resin, super sticky smelling, mouth watering, the tropical fruits are so powerful

T: As good as I expected, super super flavorful, but never kills your palate with bitterness, the fruits are starting to build on your tongue and then a huge resin flavor starts to grab your tongue, actually manages to have decent sweet effect too, the fruits and the malt that help out a lot, I was expecting some malt but this is relatively balanced compared to what I was expecting, I like the malt component, just a little biscuity sweetness but not cloying or heavy

M: Really good, again showing the perfect balance, that malt really helps here, not thin like some DIPA's can be if they go for all hops, definitely above medium body

D: Very high, just so good

Notes: This beer definitely lived up to my expectations, which were very high. They did not surpass them, however, as you can see a 4.5 is pretty high. I consider SN Pale Ale to be a solid beer. I had one after drinking this and not only the the hops taste bland, but it tasted thin too. That just goes to show how powerful this beer is.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Big thank you to phisigben for hooking me up with this for my first trade.

Pours a hazy golden color, reminds me of fresh apples cider, warm looking. Thin puff of white head that doesn't stay long and leaves no lacing.
Smell is killer! Steals the show for sure. The thing I pick up the most would be the tropical fruits, but the alcohol is ever present in the nose. Mango, pineapple, tangerine, some floral notes, noticeable malty character.
The flavor is big to say the least. Hit up front immediately with tangerine, some peach and mango and pine, strong malt backbone to the flavor with some booze peeking through to remind you of the 9.5 ABV.
Great mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation level for my taste, smooth as can be and for an imperial ipa the finish is not as bitter as many of its brethren.
Drinkability is not the strongest due to the huge flavors and alcohol content here but it is delicious and unique. This stacks among some of the top DIPAs I have ever had a chance to try. So glad I finally got a chance to enjoy this, wish I had access to it all the time.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Brown bomber poured into a snifter. Thanks to Timmi for this one. No indentification of freshness via bottle date/code to be found on the label or glass.

Dreadnaught appears a hazed golden orange color. 2 fingers of white creamy foam appear slightly stained yellow and display some pretty decent powers of retension. Lace clings with legs around the glassware with each sip and a complete wall of lace in other spots.

The aroma is a very fruity and floral example of the style. Smells of spicey pine meet a fruitiness like mango in the nose. As it warms some more herbal notes come out along with a slight indication of the alcohol present in this brew. The smell of this brew is pretty much my favorite aspect of this experience.

Tasting dreadnaught reveals a much more mellow bitterness than I was expecting. The hops are quite flavorful tasting of pine and some herbal dryness that really lingers in the mouth. The malt is present with a bit of fruitiness that is slightly sweet to balance out the hop bitterness that comes through. In the finish is where the herbal flavors and a bit of dryness meets the alcohol bite to provide quite a spicey flavor. As it warms some of the malt takes on a taste of slightly dark caramel that was not immediately noticeable when slightly chilled.

At first this brew was really deceptive. For something pushing 10% alcohol it is really well hidden. As it warms the alcohol comes through and exaggerates more of what I refer to as "the herbal dryness" in this brew. This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate level of carbonation that at times feels a bit low. For 9.5% abv this is a really drinkable DIPA, well balanced on all accounts and something I would really enjoy again if the opportunity arose.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

The label on this beer gets it just about right.
"A hophead's dream beer." Check. In spades.
"[A]n opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas." Check. I found that the citrusy, grapefruit scent predominated, and the mango and peach flavors presented themselves on the tasting. (It may be of interest to some that I had this beer sampled by a connoisseur of things other than beer and his opinion was that the scent and taste were strongly redolent of cannabis.)
"[P]ronounced caramel malt backbone." Semi-check. It's there. It balances the beer. It mellows the aftertaste. But I'd say the backbone of this beer is its hops.
Fans of American IPA's will not be disappointed.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Thanks to HosP for this one.

A: Pours a bright glowing gold with a finger of bright white head that faded into a thin film that left rings of tight lace around the glass.
S: Notes of pineapple, syrupy sweet sugar and malt, citrus, tangerine and floral notes including rose.
T: Very citrusy with medium bitterness and a fruity sweet malt backbone. Alcohol is mostly hidden. Lots of grapefruit, lemon and slight earth and pepper.
M: Medium body with soft carbonation and a perfect mouthfeel. Not syrupy or very stick at all. Alcohol lingers ever so slightly on your tongue after you swallow.
D: Very smooth, delicious, and impressively balanced. It's also very sweet, but in a good way.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into my Iron Man pint glass.

Semi-dark golden color that is lighter around the edges. Hard pour makes a one finger white head. Decent lacing left behind, and solid retention.

Smells of sweet honey malts. Mango, peach and citrus hops.

The flavor is pretty much the same. Quite sweet. Honey, mango, peach and an orange rind citrus. Lots of hop oils.

Pretty full bodied. Well carbonated. A nice bite and lots of hop oils.

The midwest has got their DIPA game down. A really nice hop bomb. AWESOME when fresh!

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours out a hazy light orange. half a finger of white head. very light colored for a DIPA.

smell is citrus and a hint of pine. fruity not overly impressive.

taste is an explosion of citrus. i get peach, pine, mango, and lemon flavors. very complex with just enough malt to balance it all out. they hit a homerun with this, lives up to the hype in taste.

mouthfeel is smooth maybe a tiny bit thin but well made.

drinkability really shines. could see drinking many of these in a session. very refreshing.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter

A: This is beer is one of the most beautiful beers I have seen. It has a perfect gold color, a one finger white head with excellent retention and excellent lacing

S: Lots of hops! The dominate smells are pine, grapefruit, and lemon.

T: I would summarize this beer as a study in hops. The hops are big and pronounced but also wonderfully done. The taste is a lot like the nose with flavors of pine , The only minor criticism that I might levy against this beer is that it could have used a tad more balance or malt character.

M: A tad bit of stickiness, which I thought worked well in this beer. It sits on the palate nicely and has a pleasant hoppy aftertaste. Great level of carbonation.

D: All around I think this was a great IPA, The hops were a little to big for me to drink this all night long or at a fast pace, but if I were looking for a beer to have with dinner, or just to relax with on a warm day, I would have this again anytime. The alcohol was hidden completely.

To me this beer instantly reminded me of Pliny the Elder...I would call it Pliny's Midwest cousin. It was exceptional. Normally I don't like IPAs that are super hoppy, but this is one that I really did like, despite the dominance of the hops.

First had this at a craft beer festival, and then at a local beer bar/beer store on tap.

Exceptional beer I give it an A on all aspects. The appearance is a golden hue with a nice firm white head. Smell is citrus all the way with a nice woody earth tone. Taste is out of the world very balanced nice hop to malt ratio for my palet with a hint of oaky smoothness to round out the beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth and silky not to sharp like some IPA's can be. Drinkability this beer I could drink all night but this could get you in trouble due to the higher ABV. Tremedous beer by Three Floyds and I am very happy that our distributors got their act together to bring this beer to the bluegrass.

4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally!!! The time has come! I get to try my first TF Dreadnaught! Here it goes... Appearance is a somewhat cloudy orange/golden color with a very beautiful, full frothy white head. I can smell this beer from a couple feet away. The sweet fruits are very strong. I'm getting a TON of orange and tangerine along with a lot of sweet honey. The hops are not very strong in the scent of this beer. I'm also not getting much pine or floral notes in the nose either. Now to taste this bad boy... Wow, My palate gets hit with some very sweet hops at first. Then it moves to the citrus fruitiness of the orange/tangerine. A bit of grapefruit as well. Then I get some sweet honey on the back of my tongue followed by an amazing hop bitterness. This beer has lived up to the hype for me. Absolutely divine! The mouthfeel is the perfect amount of chewiness for an IIPA. The drinkability is scary how high ABV it is. You can't even taste the alcohol until it warms up a bit and toward the end of every sip. Then u get a little warming sensation going down, but I really like that from an IIPA. OUTSTANDING beer! I think I've tried enough Three Floyds beers now to say they are one of my new favorite breweries.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks Raznug! Psyched for this one! Poured this into a White Birch goblet. Pours a honey amber color with about an inch of white head. It doesn't retain, but great lacing. Smells great, tropical fruits and piney hops are flooding my nostrils. I love all the fruit I can smell, this is very attractive to me. I take my first sip and I'm bombarded with a giant hop flavor! After my taste buds become used to the hops I notice the juiciness. Tropical and citrus fruits all over the place. Great mouthfeel, the carbonation is perfect to bring all the great flavors to life. Easy to drink and very refreshing, regardless of the high abv.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks, again, to BEERchitect for all the wonderful beer while in Lexington.

Pours hazy orange with a nice fluffy cream-colored head.

Smells of pine up front with a dash of orange peels and citrus.

The taste follows the nose with quite a bit of sweet citrus and pine in the middle. Bitter pine and sweet citrus finish to round things off.

Good mouthfeel for the style, full body with creamy carbonation.

This is scary drinkable. No hint of the ABV and very refreshing.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

A-Pours a nice amber color with a nice, thick white head. Leaves sticky, thick lacing.

S-Juicy, piny, grapefruit with a ton of mango and pineapple with underlying sweet caramel.

T-Tons of tropical notes with mango, some pineapple, with some pine notes and a little bit of caramel to smooth everything out.

M-Really smooth with low carbonation. Really creamy, smooth mouthfeel.

D-Ridiculously easy drinking, delicious, almost 10% brew. Insanely drinkable for the ABV, but the prie point is a bit of a killer for me. I paid $12/ 22oz'er, and while it's a great brew, I won't be likely to pick it up again.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Got a bottle to trade and couldn't resist getting one for myself!

A- Pours golden orange in color. Produces a big foamy head. Good retention and with a lot of lacing.

S- Citrus and floral scents. Can already taste the hops.

T- A lot of hops! Orange, grapefruit but balanced well with the malts in this drink. Could drink this IIPA all day!

M- Very crisp and refreshing! Good carbonation level.

D- Could very easily drink this all day every day! One of my favorites!!

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a golden orange with a creamy head that sticks around for awhile and leaves a thick residual lacing on the glass.

S. Smells of sweet floral hops when the bottle is opened. Out of the glass, the citrus flavors start to shine with lemon and grapefruit peel. As it warms, orange and grapefruit citrus scents emerge as well as peach and mango.

T. A slight honey sweetness upfront and then a tremendous amount of hops come blazing in. The really floral plant nature of the hops shines in the aftertaste - the same after taste you get when you taste fresh hop buds - herbal and bitter. Some sweet carmel and citrus flavors pull through as the beer warms.

M. A bit too thin. The carbonation is so smooth that it's barely detectable. You merely notice the creamy foam that gradually fills your mouth.

D. A very drinkable variety of the style. Slight sweetness with a bitter character that continues to change and develop as the beer warms.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Westy chalice.

A: An opaque orange appearance with slight head. Really a different & unique color from other DIPA's that I have had. The head recedes pretty quickly.

S: Awesome citrusy nose with the peach and mango coming through just as the bottle label describes. The smell is very aromatic and amazing.

T: Hop lover's dream. The immediate citrus flavors of the peach and mango along with the slightly sweet caramel aftertaste is so smooth and complement each other beautifully.

M: Medium mouthfeel with just enough carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability for a DIPA. This is a hopbomb for sure! I would drink this again without hesitation. Would love to try on tap.

Summary: If you have an opportunity to try - don't pass this one up! It is everything that one would want in a DIPA. Easily one of my favorites from 3F's.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pencil thickness of head with minimal head retention, little to no signs of lacing, dark to medium gold in color with slight amber hue - 4.00, S: Intensely resiny and pungent hop aromas, concentrated citrus including grapefruit and significant orange, alcohol is evident, some floral and estery aromas - 5.00, T: The hop bitterness almost brings this beer to the point of puckering though it surprisingly avoids being harsh, thick syrupy rum raising like sweetness, somehow balanced in all of its absurdity, lots of grapefruit and some slight orange - 4.50, M: Medium bodied with some minor viscosity, alcohol provides a slight drying - 4.50, D: All around an excellent example of the style though less of a sipper, I wish availability was a little friendlier as I have only seen this available on a couple of occasions - 4.25

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub