Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,742
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

this might get deleted for not being descriptive enough, but this beer is the bomb.... so legit i love it try it drink and then drink it again

it appears clean a copper color with a clean bright almost pearly head

the smell is very very strong of hops .... hey it is christmas time the christmas tree is found in the aromas of this beer. there is also citrus and light fruity aspects

the taste is everything you expect .... almost like a white gumball out of a gumball machine at the pizza place when all you really want is a white gumball out of the gumball machine at a pizza place that you love

mouthfeel? oh yeah.... real smooth creamy nice of specialness

in the D category i give it exceptional i felt like i could drink it all night untill i couldnt drink it all night ... ya here me? this shit is good drink it .... its legit

SammyB, Dec 22, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had the pleasure of going to Three Floyds today with my buddy Brian. Food was good, server was real nice and it was an enjoyable afternoon. I had the Dreadnaught on-tap in a half pint glass - as the brewmaster suggets.

A: Looked clearer than the bottle. Amber was more golden. It had the same great head - a slightly yellowish, fine one finger. Lacing is never as impressive in a small glass. Handsome looking brew.

S: Has a good solid caramel backbone but the hops were out of control. Awesome grapefruit and floral that was incredibly fresh.

T: Amazing. It was everything that I am used to in the bottle but turned up to 11. Nice sweetness to the malt, honey, massive grapefruit and some floral hops and a piney bite of an aftertaste. So fresh, I was smacking my lips.

M: Bigger, rounder and more syrupy mouthfeel than the bottle. Felt like the high side of medium with just enough carbonation to keep it interesting. Couldn't ask for more.

D: Big beer for sure. Very aggressive but somehow very drinkable. I wish this was lower ABV, so that I could session it. I started to feel a slight buzz off the half pint. Great beer. Really unique taste that is 100% 3F. I want to go back!

sgoodship, Dec 19, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a nice coppery orange, vigorous pour produces an 1/2" off white head that leaves beautiful lacing, ok head retention.

Hop aroma is the front runner, citrusy, juicy hints of pine resin and herb. Malt follows, somewhat sweet and sugary dough smell.

Hoppy and juicy, big citrus taste. I can taste the centennial, but am not overwhelmed by grapefruit. Slight pine spice and mint. Moderately sweet caramel malt.

Creamy and moderately carbonated, just the way I like 'em. Some DIPAs are a little undercarbonated for my taste-this hits the nail on the head.

Highly recommended, easy to drink if you know your abv. It's nice to have FFF back in Wisconsin, even if I'd say they generally are $1-2 overpriced they make a great DIPA which are not too plentiful in the midwest.

eyncognito, Dec 15, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a decent copper-orange color with a bit of initial head and a bit of lacing, but not much on either end. Nice scent, good hop characteristics, floral mostly, hints of citrus (but not much), and a very strong maple aroma. Good hop taste, almost over the top, but not for the style, almost a malt balance, with a large maple syrup aftertaste. Goes down fine, a bit thick, but almost no (bad) alcohol taste, nice considering it's almost 10%.

Honestly, I don't see it being one of the top DIPAs, but I also haven't agreed on many of the top rated beers here on BA.

JamesS, Dec 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a quarter inch slightly yellowed head on top. Decent retention and some nice lacing.

The aroma is nice. A nice citrus and pine combo with a bit of caramel sweetness in the background.

The taste is fine. A bit of pine and citrus, with a very light malt presence in the background. Only slightly bitter on the finish, but a decent sweetness throughout.

Mouthfeel is really pushing full bodied, slightly syrupy, and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Flavor profile is fine, and overall the beer is enjoyable. The alcohol is very well hidden and makes for a pleasant experience. I am however slightly disappointed with this beer. It's my second go at it, and I thought maybe my first bottle was just pushing some age because it didn't seem quite hoppy enough. Still a solid DIPA, but not my favorite to date.

Goliath, Dec 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Dusty orange in color this beer is one step away from being hazy. The head looks like raw unbleached wool. Nice retention and good lacing. I have to admit that this one looks like a beer I would want to try. But then again what beer doesn't look like that?

The smell reinforces that desire. A thick malt profile is clouded by a hop bouquet that is hard to miss because of it's badass-ness. These hops are big, bold and pushy. Pine resin and grapefruit this beer is going to be a winner.

Taste is a liquid version of the nose. Big hop assault up front with a nice grapefruit taste and a piney loveliness. Followed by a sweet malt that has the legs to run a marathon. The finish goes back to the hop. Prickly and bitter leaving a nice coating of astringent goodness on the sides of your tongue, but there's more. As the bitterness fades the malts come back to reassert their presence. A fantastic volley of flavors.

I feel that a little bit of enamel on my teeth has been stripped off after each sip. I adore that. This is a solid bad mother f-er of a beer. I could drink this until my liver climbs up my throat to kick me in the face. I bet that happens sooner then later because there is almost no evidence of the almost 10% ABV. MMmmm.

jbphoto88, Dec 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

A: A dark orange/amber color with a white lace head. Not a ton of carbonation

S: Wonderful, the citrus seems to just come off the beer so easily. I didn't get any acid or bitterness in the smell at all, which I kinda expected.

T: I would call this citrus hop syrup! I really enjoyed this. I had a hint of honey sweetness and it left me with a touch of piney hop flavor.

M: Great, I loved the way it coated my tongue and had that flavor stick around. This is a beer that you could split with someone and have it last all night. You dont need a drink every 2 minutes to get that flavor back!

D: Very drinkable, it was a great slow drinker! I'll be buying this again!

madtowndmb1, Dec 11, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Slight haze, orange to light amber color, with thin wispy head.

Nose has pleasant gummy bear candied character, with grapefruit & OJ citrusy aromas.

Big malt and hop, grapefruit rind on the palate. Full bodied and very creamy, with lingering spice, yet somehow the alcohol is subdued.

yemenmocha, Dec 07, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

I've been saving this bottle since our early September visit to Three Floyds. 22 oz, poured in two portions over the course of an hour into a large snifter.

A: Stunning color, a rich and warm copper orange - seems to glow. Modest head, less than a finger of creamy whiteness. It drops in seconds to a clinging collar and a scattered film. Carbonation varies - smaller streams of the tiniest bubbles trickle upwards at the edges, occasional large bubbles erupt from the base and streak to the surface. A few flecks floating in an otherwise clear liquid, testament to 3 months incarceration at the back of the fridge.

S: Aromatic pine resin and sweet citrus mash-up, with a minty twist. Malts are sugar-sweet caramel and herbed dough. An ambrosial fragrance that wafts in waves from the glass. Loved this one fresh at the brewery, love it from the bottle.

T: Sappy evergreen, juicy (but slightly pithy) orange and grapefruit, sweet caramel. All the best flavors you'd anticipate in a big IPA, with subtler influences: grass, (pepper?)mint, grapeskin, hints of melon. Has it's sweeter moments, but an evolving bittering keeps nudging it away.

M: Oily and coating feel, medium-full body, 'luscious'. Some warming and drawing inward of the cheeks. Light, tingly carbonation. Bittering tends to last longer with warming, a little odd since usually malt sweetness seems to grow with time.

D: As boldly-flavored, yet well-balanced an IIPA as you'd hope to find. Enjoyed from the tap (fresh) and from the bottle nearly equally. Deserving of its lofty reputation and one I'd make the hour-long drive out of downtown Chicago for anytime. Highly recommended.

msubulldog25, Dec 04, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A_Pours a medium brown with hints of orange. A one finger head collapses quickly into a wisp of a cap.

S_A hugely potent hop aroma eminates from the bottle as soon as it is opened. This continues to pour forth from the glass as citric and pine hops dominate but do contend with some caramelised malt.

T_What starts out as pure hop juice shifts quickly to a good malt base of caramel and a vague bit of tropical fruit. Rounds out again with the huge hops in the aftertaste as well as some cocoa powder. The aftertaste is dry though despite the significant sweetness in the middle as the hop oils seem to coat the mouth. The middle sweetness really evens everything out. While the alcohol is well hidden, there is a nice warming sensation for a cold night.

M_Slightly viscous and oily with a lower than average carbonation. Ends up being a bit sticky.

D_Surprisngly well rounded, the Dreadnaught is more than just a hop bomb. This is what a Double IPA should be and ranks up there with the best of them.

sleazo, Dec 03, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked up this bomber from West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, IL.

A: Pours a slightly hazy orangy-amber with white frothy head that settled. Good lacing on the glass.

S: Hops, citrus, earthy, slight alcohol

T: Similar to smell; sweet, hoppy and slightly citrousy and very slight bitterness, first swig I had and it was like a smack in the face with flavor...a little warming alcohol in there too, but balanced. I taste some rye flavor and bite in there too which I normally don't like but it's subtle enough to where I like it.

M: Creamy for an IPA with above average carbonation.

D: I could drink a lot of this. Probably until I passed out.

If only this were a little cheaper, I'd stock up with a lot of it for sure.

dukedevil0, Dec 02, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

scored this from a undisclosed location with one of my good ole beer buddies. who's name starts with a v and ends with a bitch...ok maybe not...ok...it was victor. any hooters.

pours a hazy golden orange with a one finger creamy white head. moderate lacing.

smell is crisp and hoppy. a plethera of pine and citrus notes practically leap out of my glass and slap me like a three penny whore.

taste is great. plays with so many different aspects of awesome. a nice floral hop symphony greets me up front. a nice malty middle and it is finished up with a nice amount of lingering bitterness. tastes great. leaves me wanting more.

i enjoy this beer. i would love to get my hands on more of it. so looks like im on the trade market for some more dreadnaught.

Mauerhan, Nov 28, 2008
4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks for this, crazynelson.

Golden-orange color with slight haze, thick cream colored head and a beautiful craggy landscape of lace.

Smells like tropical fruit salad, with plenty of grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. I like these hops. Some malt like fresh sweet bread and honey, too.

Tastes like fresh fruity hops, with plenty of underlying bitterness like pine sap and leaves, with some astringency. Bread and honey. Complex hop flavor and deep biting bitterness linger for a very long time.

Astringent and powdery texture, with some oiliness, and smooth carbonation. A pleasure to drink.

Quite tasty and characterful, I enjoyed this.

Beerzebub, Nov 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -2%

First off, I'm just happy to have Three Floyds back in Wisconsin. I won't take you for granted this time baby, I swear! On to it then...

Appearance is a clear, light amber color, with a quiet and reserved thin covering to top it off. I'm assuming the head retention suffers due to the 9.5 abv.

Aroma is strong pineapple, with some light citrus coming through. Mouthwatering and inviting. Almost makes your nose pucker up.

So hoppy, that it seems like I can taste them before it touches my lips. Some sort of static electric hopping device must have been employed. Seriously though, very strong hop presence, fruity as the aroma suggested, but adequately bitter too. Decent enough malt to show itself, but not so much that it strays from the style. Slightly sweet, but only there to balance, the real star here are the hops. Orange initially, but also pineapple, grapefruit, and maybe some other fruits, and just a hint of pine, but it goes no further. And that's alright with me. Delicious!

Medium bodied, and a medium dry finish. Slightly oily, all perfect for the style.

Overall, drinkability is medium for me. As long as the ABV is under 10% abv, I can handle a couple. The only thing holding me back is the $9.49 price tag. It's not that I think it's overpriced, because I think that this is worth it. But it is hard for a working man to come up with that kind of scratch on a regular basis. I will drink this when I want that special treat. And I will look forward to it each and every time.

dancinwillie, Nov 24, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

12/19/08 - Update
I've now had something like 15 bombers of this, and it is without a doubt the best dipa that has ever touched my lips. (I haven't been to the Alchemist for almost a year, so Heady Topper will be reviewed again soon). This thing is so well-balanced, not over-hopped and in your face, but absolutely perfect for the american double ipa style.

Original post:
My girlfriend grabbed 3 bombers on a recent trip to Chicago and lugged them back to CT for me. Been wanting to try this stuff for a while, and it was worth the wait and then some..

Appearance is a typical dipa; dark orangish color with a thick, 2-finger head. Lacing is very sticky and full of resin.

Poured into a tulip and drew the incredible floral hop aroma in -- wow. An amazingly full, fresh smell - like wildflowers in spring is the best way I can describe it. Amazing.

The taste, oh the taste... A full-bodied hop rush sums it up. If you like hoppy beers, welcome home, this one is truly incredible. Alcohol is hidden for the most part, but strong taste of grapefruit and flowers is blended just right.

Mouthfeel is fine, not the most outstanding part of the experience for me, but adequate.

Drinkability hurt only by the abv, but the taste and smell are so good I could probably be coerced into downing 2 bombers in a sitting.

As you can tell by my reviews, I am a huge hop fan, and DIPA's tend to be my favorite beers -- and this is in the top 3 easily. Pliny is great, but this one's better. If you can get it, please do, you won't be disappointed.

chuckd123, Nov 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Bright clear orange pour. Thin swirling lace. Huge pineapple and mango aroma's. Some ethanol and sweet candied malt aroma's there backing up the tropical fruits. Huge tropical hop flavors smake the tongue into submission, then on come some sweet malts but they only temper the enormous oily hop flavors. Alcohol leaves a small amount of warmth on the palate. Thick and boaderline syrupy. This one begs to be enjoyed slowly. World class double Ipa.

drunkmonk, Nov 20, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip pint.

Obtained on recent trip to the brewery.

Pours a crystal clear, bright orange hue with stray bubbles pushing north. A huge, two+ finger, orange infused rocky head hung around forever.

WHAM! Huge candied pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and orange notes attack the nostrils. Big time hops. Very sweet with some pale malt hanging out underneath all of these wonderful hops.

The hops continue their onslaught. Sweet, candied grapefruit and pineapple lead off with big, bitter finish. Not as bitter as it could be, more on the sweet side.

Chewy, medium bodied, perfect carbonation.

On the boozy side, and it slows you down a bit. A sipper. One you will want to take your time with.

ColForbinBC, Nov 14, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

This pours a orangish brown with a silky tan head. The nose has fresh citrus fruits, bitter floral hops and pine over a bed of sweet candy malts. The taste is a perfect blend of tart citrus, big flowery hops and rich caramel malts. Medium body is delicately carbonated. Crisp and refreshing yet thick and creamy. This is a very well balanced IPA from Three Floyds. Top knotch.

rye726, Nov 04, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Ar - Smells just like a fresh bowl of hops, sweet, grassy, citrus. Pleasant, floral, with an herbal mint leaf quality, but in sum I can't say greatly out of characteristic of many others of same style. (4)
Ap - Initially pours with thin fluffy head that settles to a ring in time. Really rather pale for color with it leaning more towards gold rather than amber. Poured carefully so as to not rouse the yeast so intial pour is relatively clear. (4)
Fl - This is a lot more balance than I anticipated (I was expecting tongue ripping hops, but this is nothing like that at all). Great malt fruit flavor with nice sweetness. Then hop flavors that hold fruit flavors as well (citrus, grapefruit) prior to a moderate, but certainly not overpowering bitterness that holds great length and finishes with a lingering dryness that is actually quite mild (just lengthy). (4.5)
Mf - Really nice body of some substance with closing in on syrup like thickness, but as the carbonation moves in the body lightens. The carbonation is light and fluffy. (4.5)
D - For style this holds pretty darn high levels in this category. If the alcohol is elevated in any way it's hiding effectively (except maybe in effect, but there is no noticeable flavor). Dreadnaught drinks easily and smoothly, with full flavor experience. This is the category that makes this beer standout against other DIPA. (5)
I will say that this is a good beer, and even better than that a very good beer but I still don't think it's worth the price.

garymuchow, Oct 31, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Got a 22oz bomber, thanks to a trade with pantanap on rate beer. I've heard good things and was really looking forward to this!

Split with several beer buddies. Color is a cloudy orange/gold. Smells and tastes of citrus and heavy on the hops. Grapefruit and and Pineapple stand out. Smell and taste align for a extremely drinkable, fantastic beer.

Definitely in my top 5 IPAs, with Pliney, Alesmith IPA, and DogFish 90 min. Highly recommended!

antilogic, Oct 29, 2008

A : Pours a nice golden color without much head

S : Lots of citrus hops, mainly grapefruit. There's a hint of the malts there also

T : Good citrus hop flavor that followed the nose. Not too overpowering. A good malt balance in there also with some biscuity flavors

M : Slick, oily, medium-bodied. Low on the carbonation but it works

D : Easy to drink where you don't really feel the alcohol.

mhewes, Oct 22, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

A- Golden brown are the only words that come to mind. Very little carbonation, and the head that was there dissipated instantaneously.

S- Sweet smell of pineapple, citrus fruits, and hops. Very similar to Pliny the Elder.

T- Heaven. I thought Pliny the Elder was my favorite DIPA of all-time, but this might take the cake in the taste category. I'm not sure if it because of the extreme freshness of this beer, but it was perfect. It is well balanced, with a nice combination of hops, malt, and citrus fruit. Unlike Pliny, the hops were a little stronger, giving it an edge that Pliny did not have.

M- Not much more you can ask for. Lightly carbonated, medium bodied. Perfect.

D- Given that DIPA's are my favorite style of beer, this is as drinkable as they come. I was tempted to open my other bomber as soon as I finished this one.

I would now like to take the time to thank Three Floyds for making this sensational beer. When I opened this bottle I was expecting something a lot different. To my surprise this definitely competes with the best of them. Highly recommended!

rhinos00, Oct 19, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Bit of a white whale for me, been pursuing for a while and finally got it in my fridge and finally busted it out last night and shared with a buddy.

22oz bomber poured into Urthel tulip glass.

A: Apple juice appearance. Thinnest of all possible white heads. Filmy lacing, spiderweb patches. Signs of sediment point to a bottle conditioned brew.

S: Unique, dominated by citrus but there is plenty else going on. Grapefruit, spiciness, and I get something that is reminiscent from the malts I guess that makes me think of a gingerbread cookie.

T: Malty and hoppy, I was expecting a midwest hopslam type but thats not what I got. It surely held its own in the flavor dept. Piney and sweet- really just an awesome taste.

M: Oily as any IPA/DIPA Ive ever had. Very low carbonation and the oily hops left in my mouth reminded me of the Pliny experience.

D: The bomber was shared but I would have absolutely no problem taking one of these on myself. A must for any hophead. Went unbelieveably well with some soft gorgonzola.

Another fine performance from Three Floyds, looking forward to next trip to Midwest to pack some in the suitcase.

marcpal, Oct 18, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz. bomber
Golden amber - a pretty ale. Course cream colored head.
Smell is of grapefruit, citrus and some pine. Could smell a hint of cat urine.
Taste - grapefruit to start with a tropical fruit aftertaste.
Slightly thick, it does go down nicely!

ThirstyBird, Oct 18, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into pint glass. Murky copper bronze, nice unfiltered look. Not much head for a hard pour. No lacing.

Smell was sweet malt, cardboard and spicy hop.

Taste had carmel notes, sweet green grapes. Alcohol was a little hidden but present. Low hop bitterness throughout. Diactyl. Sweet bitter finish. Smooth mouthfell.

This beer was complicated with alot going on with the malts .Not nearly enough hop presence to call this a IIPA. I think I got a previous cold cellered beer shipped to me in a trade that may have spoiled this one. Maybe old too.
Art work on bottle was awesome. I would bet this would taste different at the brewery or state, but hey I was glad to get to try it.

cannabanaceae, Oct 14, 2008