Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,835
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

Well, after watching the Seahawks summarily dispatch the Saints with brother Alumni Marshawn Lynch blasting the nail into the coffin, I have this wonderful ale sent by awesome trader Brian44556...

Pours a lightly hazed amber with pale straw highlights. Medium carbonation. Decent finger of soapy head forms and sticks around for a couple sips. Nice, sticky lacing. Aromas are fainter than expected, and a little thin. Some of the typical grapefruit and caramel notes, and some vanilla in there as well. Nothing unique or even robust about it. A slight disappointment thus far. Flavor makes up for it, though. There is a slight laundry detergent quality to it that is a put off. It's right upfront and not well hidden. Other than that flaw, the hops are well-balanced. This is the Midwest version of a Western IPA. It lacks the insane Hop Power of a Lefty DIPA. Instead, it pushes some nice, caramel malty notes into the mix and makes it a better balanced brew. There's a really sweet character to this that is intriguing, though I doubt I could drink too many of these because of it. It's almost like a young barleywine in texture and malt character. The finish, is super long - longer than John Holmes. And it's drier than expected, so this beer is very complex. Very good. 9.5% ABV is really well masked, no idea it was that potent. Worth tracking down, folks. Great take on the DIPA.

What I like most: The super well-masked ABV and complex and well-balanced flavor profile (except for the detergent taste upfront).

What I like least: The nonexistent aroma profile.

Verdict: very good beer, worth tracxking down but not elite.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to rfraga77 for sending me this one a day after it was bottled straight form the FFF source. I drank this as fresh as a Californian could, within a 7 day window from being bottled:

Appearance - Looks like a standard DIPA with a thick body you can see in the RRBC pint glass I pour it in - Good but not the brighter color I look for.

Smell - Heavenly. Tons of citris focusing on mango primarily, apricots and yes, as stated before, peaches with a very familiar "Hebal" thing blending in nicely. Dank.

Taste - Straight Dank in a glass. Very much so reminds me of Marijuana, moreso than a fresh Racer 5 which is impressive.
Very much follows the smell and the stickiness from the hops resinates the palate, lingering long after each sip. Bright citris, solid malt backbone. This beer fresh hangs with all the big boys in the WC.

Mouthfeel - A little thick but not syrupy. The body tells you it's around 9% and that it's without doubt a DIPA but that's what this beer was meant to be and what I believe FFF was aiming for. The resinous hops leave you wanting another sip over and over. I had to slow down some to relax and appreciate all it's qualities.

Drinkability - Good. A bit thick but no DIPA can drink like PtE now can it? No problem finishing the bomber.

Final Thoughts - This is one fantastic DIPA. I've had this a few times and always thought it was good but at this fresh, it's truly World Class and I now can see what all the fuss is about. Pricing still high IMHO however. I put this up in my top 5 DIPAs along with:

PtY
PtE
Citra
Alpine's Bad Boy

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

appearance - amber in color, a bit cloudy for an ipa, reasonable foam head, minimal/moderate lacing

smell - lots of grapefruit and citrus in the nose

taste - dominant citrus notes, sweet hops, caramel notes, a fairly balanced ipa with maybe a 60/40 hop to malt split in the flavor profile

mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation, somewhat oily and lingering on the finish

drinkability - very flavorful, the hops are clean and shine through well, more malt than i'd like, appearance could be improved for an ipa, overall very good

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Body is a slightly hazy gold with a 2-finger head that thins to a fine layer of foam, leaving some lace curtains along the way.

Aromas of wet hay, tropical fruit, grapefruit rind, green hops, and brown sugar.

Taste is a sweet and sour mixture of malt sugars and grapefruit. Some tropical flavors in the background, like mango. There is a nice green hoppy finish as well.

Body is medium with nice carbonation, producing a creamy mouthfeel.

This is an interesting DIPA, the flavors and palate are both superb. The alcohol is well matched by the flavor. A very good beer to pair with seafood.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy aromas protrude from the bottle immediately upon opening. The color is a nice amber-gold with a fine, cream colored foam that rises quickly and falls slowly. Aromas are heavy with pine, bold citrus fruits, white flower petals, and a grassy punch. Flavor is intense to match. Big flavor impact with grapefruit and a bready mid palate. Finish lingers for minutes with a hop overload. A gripping bitter finish that leaves your cheeks drained of moisture and your tongue yearning for another drop. What a treat. Thanks to yeahnatenelson for a tasty, fresh bottle.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Pours yellow-orange, producing about a finger of white head. This slowly recedes, leaving a thin cap of lacing.

I smell citrus and floral hops, backed by a touch of caramel sweetness.

The flavors open with citrus hops over sweet caramel. The hangs around for a while, and eventually gives way to a lingering grapefruit and pine bitterness.

Quite a smooth drink, with a just perceptible alcohol warmth on the back end. Nicely drinkable for the ABV.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

appearance blows me away on this one. Golden orangish yellowish redis with a creamy foamy thick off white head.

Smell is nice and potent smells delicious, tons of hoppy citrus and some pine

boozy hops and grapefruit dominate the taste. Almost a cherry tast comes through and the bitter orangepeel flavor is pretty strong in the after taste

Mouthfeel is a little weaker than I was thinking very light and tons of carbonation.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

156th review on BA
Bottle to pint

App- An orangy yellow with a very pencil thin head. Nice lacing as the beer goes down.

Smell- One hell of a hoppy note. A very upfront smell with some big citrus and a minimal spice.

Taste- This is not as earthy as a west coast DIPA and I think being a mid westerner at heart I am biased. I liked this a lot. Has a nice crisp clean flavor I was hoping for but not over powering.

Mouth- A bit of a medium body but a nice crispness to the bite of it with a clean finish.

Drink- I'm not on the Pliny bandwagon and I think this was slightly higher in my opinion. I appreciate the Imperial DIPA style and like what people try to do with them. I think I need to go visit the family in IL and make a trip to 3Floyds.

3.16/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a medium off white head.

S: Grapefruit, hops and malt. Very crisp.

T: Smooth on the front with a medium to heavy bite on the back end. There is also slight grapefruit and floral taste.

M: Surprisingly thin with a punch of what I think is carbonation.

D: It was tough for me to finish the bottle. I am not a huge IPA fan so my review really shouldn't count against this beer, but I thought this particular IPA was nothing out of the ordinary. I would drink it again, but I would not actively seek it out.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

Paired up with some spicey turkey chili as I watched my Nittany Lions go down on New Year's Day.

A - Poured lemony/orange (if such a thing exists) with a huge white head that left serious lacing on my pint glass after the pour.

S - Good hop bit with the ususal grapefruit citrus bite in the nose.

T - Very nice considering not my favorite style. Good taste of pine, citrus, and a pretty hoppy bite. I don't drink the style enough to be an expert for comparison purposes, but the hop bite was more bitter than oily which I get in other more aggressive IPA's.

M - Pretty good, clean and crisp with a big ending bite.

D - For me, I liked it as a balance to the turkey chili that I was having. Nice combination which played off each other. Done my chili, done my beer.

I should have picked up a couple more of these when I had the opportunity. A nice solid mainstay of FFF.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A- poured a nice large head that took a while to settle, light golden color, heavy lace.

S- scents of lemons and spruce dominated this, quite appealing

T- taste leaned more towards grapefruit and lime followed by a little grassiness.

M- they got just the right amount of carbonation in this one, very nice medium body.

D- I solid IIPA. Loved it.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a golden orange color with a very slight haze to it. An inch of eggshell colored head sits atop and leaves a fair amount of lacing as it slowly fades.

The nose is loaded with citrus and some floral hops, but is balanced nicely with some sweet caramel-like malts.

Following suit from the nose, the taste is a perfectly balanced blend of hops and malts. Some red grapefruit and pineapple hit the tongue first, but before the thought of this being a huge hop bomb enters your mind, the sweet caramel malts enter the scene to balance things out. This is definitely one of the best tasting DIPAs I've had.

Mouth feel is smooth, almost creamy, and the carbonation is spot on for the style. This beer is insanely drinkable...I honestly did not want to put my glass down! I wish I could get this in KS or MO on a regular basis, but it will have to be one I pick up whenever I make it to WI, IL, or anywhere else that Three Floyds distributes.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

I can't believe this is my first review of Dreadnaught since I've had it a bunch of times both out of the bottle and on tap. It pours a muddied, murky dark orange with a one finger white foamy head. It smells of subtle citrusy hops, dry, and of sweet malt. The taste is a little piny followed by a good amount of overly sweet malt. I must've grabbed a bottle that had sit for awhile. It drinks both crisp and exceptionally smooth, especially for an IPA. I think that this one is better on tap but it is still pretty good out of a bottle. It's definitely worth trying but I think that Apocalypse Cow is better.

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%

From notes:

Pours a dark ruby/golden orange color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy, pillowy white foam head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that lingers throughout the entire glass and coats the pint with large chunks of soapy lacing.

Dank, resinous hop aroma with lots of earthy pine and citrus fruit notes. Hints if grapefruit, pineapple and lemon peel as well as pine needle and sunlte malt presence that takes away from the hops slightly.

Chewy full body with lots of uber fresh dank, oily hop flavor. Plenty of sweet citrus fruit notes as well as earthy bitter pine flavorthat the aroma suggested. Hints of grapefruit, pineapple, mango and lemon peel. The malt backbone is present and provides nice balance but isn't as prominent as the aroma suggests. There is a sligt lactic/creamy quality mid-palate that makes this beer extremely quaffable. The perfect balance of bitter, floral, sweet and slight malt. The ABV is excellently masked and there is a bitter dry finish. One of the best IPAs I've ever had.

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Reviewed blind as part of the blind beer bif #3

Bottle 3 from Box 2 thanks to Khazadum

Poured into my Reinaert Tulip glass while trying to stay up to see the cloud covered lunar eclipse.

A - Pours a hazy pale orange with 2 inches of thick white foam that took its time fading

S - grapefruit and a slight medicinal aroma dominates

T - the grapefruit & pineapple along with cherries? some piney hops as well and there is a malty caramel backbone finishing with a slight bitterness
seems like an imperial ipa

M/D medium bodied with good carbonation, slightly syrupy, and a slightly dry finish, I'm really enjoying the taste and could have a few of this

rip off the paper...Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Very tasty beer indeed. Its been quite a while, years, since I've had one and I forgot how much I like it. I wish it was easier for me to get here in PA. Nice choice to send.

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from bottle into De Dolle tulip. Slightly hazy golden orange with a one finger white head that fades to a collar with excellent lacing. Smell is sweet and fruity hops, pineapple, guava, sweet and buttery malts. Taste is bitter up front, slightly sweet with a touch of fruity hop flavors. After the incredible hop aroma I am slightly disappointed with the lack of complexity in the taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a light carbonation. A very tasty, albeit very bitter, beer. Not my go to double IPA, but I would never turn one down.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Big Thanks to TCGoalie for bringing this bad boy back from Munster
Pours a nice, fairly clear medium amber color with a nice orange hue to it. My normal pour yields a pretty small light tan head that fades fairly quickly, but leaves a stubborn ring of foam and tons of lace.

Even though this bottle has been waiting for me a couple months, the smell is still nice and hoppy. It has a slightly tropical sort of hop character with some juicy pineapple and mango. There is also a big helping of ruby red grapefruit and pine. I am also detecting a solid malt presence that has a sugary honey character to it, and perhaps also just a hint of alcoholic warmth.

The flavor is incredibly complex, much more so than I had expected. Hops cascade down upon my tongue, with plenty of that juicy citrus and tropical character that was in the nose, but with a bit more pine. Intermingled with all the pineapple, grapefruit and mango is a healthy malt backbone that carries notes of honey, caramel and a touch of toasted malt. There is some serious bitterness in this beer that keeps it from finishing too sweet. Yum.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side of the medium spectrum, with pretty much the perfect amount of carbonation. It finishes well for being such a big beer, with a slight coating quality that is a bit sticky, but at the same time super dry. Dank hops dominate the finish.

This beer is super drinkable and goes down amazingly well for its size. It is obvious that TCGoalie took good care of this before getting it to me, and it tastes amazing. I will be moving back to the Midwest soon and I am looking forward to taking a trip down to FFF to try and get my hands on some that is even fresher.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a clear dark orange color with a one finger head, decent retention. Head is made up of lots of small bubbles. Dissipates to a layer of foam on the top. Very nice sheets of lacing down the sides.

S: Lots of hops going on here. get hit upfront with some pine and definitely some spruce. Past that there is also some citrus, mostly grapefruit and some pineapple, but also a hint of mango.

T: More citrus on the flavor profile than the nose. Bitter hops upfront. A really nice combination of citrus and pine, the grapefruit/pineapple/mango appear. There is also a spiciness at the back that is quite enjoyable. Nice smooth finish, leaves a slight bitter taste.

M/D: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Very sticky, but very creamy. Overall a great beer. Goes down easily and is not overly bitter. Wish I could get more of it.

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours an orange-hued amber color. Not much head, retention is average.

Smell is not as strong as I expected, I hope this bottle is fresh. Unfortunately there is no bottling code or date. I feel underwhelmed. There seems to be some fruitiness happening, but I can't decipher what it is because it's beaten down by the alcohol. A little malt is present as well... My guess is this bottle is 3-4 months old, although I'm not sure because I've never had it before.

The taste is very disappointing coming from such a renowned beer. I'm getting a very strong alcohol taste that is overpowering most of the hop flavor up front. The middle is better, some of the fruity hops come into play. The end is creamy and well-blended, leaves a nice aftertaste.

Not one of the best DIPAs I've had, despite it's status. I hope to try this again with a proven-fresh bottle.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Cracked open a bomber that I had just recently received in a trade. Drank from Duvel tulip. After a rough pour, the beer settled down with a dense finger and a half of frothy eggshell-white foam. The foam settled in somewhat quickly, leaving moderate lacing on the glass. The beer was a honey-copper color, with trace streams of co2 bubbles racing upwards in the glass.

The smell was intensely filled with citrus notes, particularly grapefruit. It was like someone had placed a hunk of freshly peeled grapefruit rind under my nose. There was a spicy/peppery pineyness to it as well. A slight bit of sweet maltiness was present.

Tastes from the first gulp matched the nose squarely. It was like taking a bit from a bitter grapefruit up front, then the sweeter tropical citrus flavors come into play. There is a very pleasant sweet maltiness, and it finishes with a mild hop fueled bitterness. The beer is very creamy and feels luxurious in the mouth, has a medium body and a lingering bitterness. This was a very well crafted DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz poured into MS cervoise. from notes

I have been wanting to try this one for a while and boy am I glad I did. This hazy orange-tangerine coloured elixir pours well with a nice white rocky head and sticky lacing. The smell is a bouquet of citric fruits with noticeable piney hops. The taste is amazing, tonnes of fruits, peach, orange peel, tangerine, grapefruit. The sweet, yet mild malt, is in the background but supports well. Medium mouthfeel with amazing balance. This beer rocks and I would love to drink as many as I can! My favourite from Three Floyds, so far!

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle via trade with 12many, big thanks Patrick. Clear gold pour, rather thin white head, lots of lacing. Aroma is very citrusy/fruity - pineapples and grapefruit absolutely beautiful nose. Taste is very bitter but is well "balanced" by the malty flavors too. Palate is one of this beer's strongest points - Smooth and silky at first - it lets the fruity flavors develop before ending in a well carbonated, dry, hop kick in the mouth finish. I don't like IIPAs very much, but this is a work of art.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Tried this one on a rare beer night tasting with some BA friends during September 2010. Thanks troywhittaker for bring and sharing this rare find for us FL folks.

I need to take some more detailed notes on this one ate a future time, but here is a high level review for my future reference.

Appearance pours a copper orange color with a fluffy head and impressive lacing.
Aromas of the full hop spectrum. Citrus, grapefruit, pine, spice. Tastes as it smell with a solid hop bitterness and equal maltbackbone with solid caramel malt support.
Full bodied mouthfeel for an IPA, the malt support shows through in the full body.

Look fwd to trying this one again, enjoyable for sure, often described as very citrus hop profile, I look fwd to researching this again on a future fresh tasting.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

appearance: golden with a solid head retention

smell: very bold and assertive hop presence. pine and citrus

taste: nicely balanced dipa. one of the best. unsure how fresh but tasted so.

mouthfeel: medium bodied to full bodied IPA,

drinkability: I would love to have this again.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

I poured this 22 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: clear orange-amber color, one-finger white head quickly falls into a thin cap, good lacing.

S: grapefruit, more grapefruit, and even more grapefruit, also mango, peach, and orange blossom.

T: the mango and peach mingle with the citrus notes up front, and then the middle unleashes a torrent of Texas ruby red grapefruit and sweet, biscuit-like malt, the finish is grassy with pine undertones.

M: medium bodied, oily, moderate carbonation, very drying, bracing.

D: this is a very tasty and balanced Imperial IPA, and ranks up there with the very best of this style.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.