Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,704
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
tpd975

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Another beer purchased for me by my brother. Boy am I glad he works right down the road from 3 Floyd's

A: Copper Orange with a small head, some tiny bubbles and sticky lacing.

S: A true hop bomb. Pine and Citrus waft from the glass in a big way.

T: Initial sweetness followed by an explosion of the pine and grapefruit of the hops. You can taste the alcohol in this one. This is a big beer, aggressive and in your face.

M: Very thick moutfeel, you can chew on this bad boy.

D: I will stop at one here. It is a very straightforward example of a DIPA, but drinking more than one would put you down for the count.

Overall: Good example of a DIPA. In true 3 Floyd's fashion there is nothing subtle here. They came out swinging for the fences with this one and if not a home run, its at least off with wall with extra bases. Not the bestDIPA/ IPA out there I prefer a few others most noteably Alesmith, DFH 90 but a wonderful brew nonetheless. Get your hands on one, its a true 3 Floyd's experience.

06-16-2007 20:24:36 | More by tpd975
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

$9,89/bomber Kwik Liquor North Green River Rd. Evansville, Ind. USA
I ended up liking this more than I initially thought I would. I know there is quite a bit of hype surrounding this one, but I typically don't get excited over this sort of beer like your hop-head types do. I wasn't too terribly impressed with its appearance. A fairly aggressive pour with a good bit of distance between the bottle and the glass yielded a very meager head. What foam was there, vanished in about 20 seconds. Smell was exactly where it probably should be with loads of piney, citrusy hops.
I must admit, the taste was better balanced than I thought it would be, with an assertive, bitter hop profile up front and into the middle, and a nice almost candy sweet maltiness to smooth things out. Very nice, indeed.
I gave drinakability high marks on this one due to the fact that were I to guess the abv having no knowledge of this beer, I would say low 7's, perhaps 7,1, 7,3 something like that. This drinks well below 9,5% for sure. I'm really glad I had the chance to try this one out, and regret I have only two of these, well, one now.

06-16-2007 00:10:59 | More by SilentSabre
bluejacket74

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

22 ounce bottle, not sure how old it is but I know I've had it a while. The Dreadnaught pours an orange/copper color with a half inch off-white head. The aroma is very nice, the pine and citrusy (grapefruit) hops are strong, with a bit of malt in there too. Taste is mostly piney hops, with some grapefruit hops and sweet malt noticeable. It starts off a bit sweet, and has a nice hoppy bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very full, and it's also slick, smooth and a bit syrupy. Carbonation is low and the alcohol isn't very noticable which makes this very easy to drink. Overall I think this is a very good beer. If you get the chance to try it, you definitely should.

06-15-2007 23:48:07 | More by bluejacket74
Reed415

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Pours a copper color with a nice tan head

S - Piney Hops dominate, with a hint of grapefruit citrus

T - Sweet at first, Piney Hops, Dry hop bitterness at the end with some mild sweetness

M - Very Thick Full Bodied, Alcohol, Not Much Carbonation

D - Would be higher but the alcohol isn't mask as well as expected

06-08-2007 16:40:05 | More by Reed415
cooncat

3.68/5  rDev -16.7%

Been waiting a long time to sample and review this one and finally got a 22 oz. bomber to split with a friend last night. Let's see if this brew is really up to all the hype I've read about it. This sample was a 2006 vintage.

The pour produces a copper colored brew, topped with a foamy, tan head of considerable size, with shrinks to just a thin top which lasts to the bottom of the glass. Holding to the light, the sample is very clear, with only a few tiny bubbles of carbonation rising to the top. Some lacing occurs on the side of the glass.

The nose is HUGE with hops. I repeatedly put my nose into the
top of the glass to try to extract any subtle nuances of a malt character, but to little effect. All you will inhale is hops and more hops (nirvana to a hop head). I was hoping for a little balance, or even a trace of malt in the nose. There is none.

Taste follows the nose in the extreme. The hop flavors are pronounced and in your face. Mostly piney, there is also some grapefruit in the background taste. If you are looking for some maltiness to offset the extreme hoppiness, you won't find any.
Finish is lip-smackingly dry.

Mouthfeel is big and almost chewy. The high ABV is also noticeable, but not entirely objectionable. The beer is what it is ... an American Double IPA, and one has to expect certain characteristics that are typical of the style.

Drinkability is, in my opinion, on the low end of the scale. First of all, this is a huge beer, and should be enjoyed responsibly. The overpowering hoppiness, without a hint of maltiness is, to me, a little bit disappointing. There are many American DIPAs out there which are much more balanced, and more quaffable. My impression is that Three Floyds was just interested in creating a huge 'hop bomb'. In this they succeeded. However, given a choice, I'd enjoy a Ruination or DFH 90 Minute far more than this offering. If you are a fan of the style, it's definitely worth a shot.

Cheers

06-06-2007 23:18:25 | More by cooncat
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dreadnaught, thanks to Westweasel. Decided to review this one tenth on my one year anniversary as a BA member. :-) Cheers!

A- Perfect double IPA appearance. Slightly hazy orange With three fingers of tight white head that laces beautifully.

S- Wonderful sweet malt with balancing piney aromatic hops that make for a thoroughly enjoyable nose. Equally sweet and bitter, perfectly balanced, and exceptional.

T- Sweet honey-like maltiness up front, with bitter green wood pine hops following quickly, and leaving a wonderful impression on the palette. Not much more than that, but it's so well-balanced and tasty as to be quite possibly the best DIPA I've had.

M- Smooth, creamy, and satisfying. Medium carbonation and a smooth, slightly dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

D- One of the tastiest and most drinkable DIPA's.

06-04-2007 03:39:55 | More by khiasmus
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Monsone, genog, and Reed415 for this amazing brew.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a nice fluffy two finger off white head that dies down to a thin layer soon after pour. Lacing is very sticky all over the glass. Smell is a blast of pineapple and fresh pine. Hop dominated scent with a hint of bready malt that tickles the nose. Flavor is definitely not what I had expected. Pretty mild orange/mandarine hop burst at first that is balanced out by a very nice pale malt. Aftertaste is somewhat dry, but not over-dry by any means. By far the smoothest DIPA I have had to date. Full bodied with mild carbonation. Drinkability is scary good, gets even easier to drink as it warms a bit. My first sample from FFF, can't wait to get my hands on some more. Get your hands on this one by any means possible. Give up your first born if necessary.

06-03-2007 01:53:39 | More by BeerTruth
mdm46410

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at the FFF brewpub. Served in a bowtie glass. Pours a deep hazy orange with a small beige diminishing head. Leaves some nice thick lacing. Aroma is heavy on the hops with some sweet peach and grapefruit undertones. Medium to full body. Taste is hops, pine and peach. Very satisfying beer. Nice bitter finish with lasting peach taste. This beer lives up to it’s strong reputation. One of my favorites.

06-02-2007 17:09:45 | More by mdm46410
kenito799

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod for sharing this on my Midwest visit.

Pours a dark orange-amber with small head that recedes to a ring with little lacing--typical ADIPA color.

Aroma is a sweet and aromatic hoppy mix, grapefruit and pine, but cooked, mellowed, a hint of funk. Creamy mouthfeel from the high ABV and soft carbonation.

On the palate there is a sweetness and slight funk that may hint at some poor transport or storage in its history. However the roasted pineapple, smoothly bitter finish balanced by this swetness, and the funk is actually pleasing and complex rather than being a distraction. Other 3F products brought from Chicago showed no spoilage so I can believe that this is the effect the 3F were going for. A mellow, sweet, highly aromatic DIPA that is a nice example of the style. The sweetness and high ABV detract from the drinakbility a tad for me but I usually like IPAs more than DIPAs.

05-29-2007 00:04:29 | More by kenito799
ncvbc

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

First and foremost, this is a great beer but I do believe there are better DIPA's out there...I've had a few I thought were better already.

Pours a dark amber with a near inch thick head and nice carbonation. Sticky lacing after the head dwindles to a thin, staying layer. Smell is somewhat muted and this isn't too cold. Big spicy grapefruit citrus...very interesting for sure but not as strong as many others, though still lovely. Taste is big on juicy citrus hops with a little bitterness but there is still a great use of sweetness and again a little spice with the malts. I don't find it to be overdone on either side, although it is different. I love the mouthfeel of this one. Sticky, creamy, tingly, everything that reminds me of an exceptional DIPA feel. Nice drinkability, this is one that I can handle on almost any day and offers something pretty unique to the world of DIPA's. I probably won't get to try it again any time soon but very recommended and one I'll probably keep on my wants list...

Thanks goes to jmp30 for this treat.

05-26-2007 23:21:45 | More by ncvbc
ChazMania

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber.

A) Very clear, surprisingly so. Nice orange/amber/copper color. One finger head that laced the glass nicely.

S) Huge hop and citrus fruit aroma. Mango and peach come to mind.

T) Big and rich. The complexity is nice. Again, I do taste mango alongside the full hop character.

M) Good like other DIPA. Not over the top in my opinion.

D) I'd drink this all day long if it wasn't so freaking expensive and hard to find here in So Cal!

05-26-2007 23:15:15 | More by ChazMania
Mdog

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance: Orange-gold with millions of hop or yeast particles in suspension, good carbonation, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Not as strong as I hoped, but still a nice citrus aroma.

Taste: A very nice balance of malty sweetness and citrus hop kick. Not overly bitter.

Drinkability: Quite tasty and not dehabilitatingly strong. If that's a word.

Another beer I brought back from Milwaukee and one that I knew I "must" bring back. I thought it was very good but not quite up there with my all time favorite DIPAs. Maybe I got an older bottle, but I'd still recommend this one.

05-26-2007 19:02:43 | More by Mdog
Backer2004

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Enjoyed this on draft at the Clark Street Ale House in Chicago for $6 for a snifter. Man oh man, this one packs one punch of citrus, mainly grapefruit. Nice orange with a half inch head that stays in the glass, notes of light hops. Cannot tell the alcohol content in this one. Refreshing, complex, and satisfying to the last drop.

05-25-2007 22:22:05 | More by Backer2004
brdc

Wisconsin

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another impressive Three Floyds brew that I got thanks to StoutsNIPAs.
It is bright golden, almost orange with a light, off-white head.
The aroma is quite impressive, hoppy and flowery, very powerful but still quite pleasant, and it lasted throughout this big bottle.
Smooth and creamy, it is, as expected, heavily hopped, but still shows a nice balance as is quite obviously a nice trait of Three Floyds. Hoppy and bitter, it alternates with some maltiness that can even (if rarely) be a little sweetish. Additional flavors include earth/buttery, lots of fruits but almost never a noticeable alcohol.
Very easy to drink, and different than other reviewers suggested, it went nicely on a very hot day.
Keeping in mind I am not a very big fan of hops, this is some brew that deserves many repeats.

05-21-2007 21:09:10 | More by brdc
alexgash

Connecticut

Served at 50 degrees F.

Glowing copper apricot edges around a burnt sienna body. Sticky, smallish, glass-crawling, dirty off-white head. Juicy, resinous, sticky, pungeant, funky, ripe hop aromas mix with equally juicy butterscotch, Juicy Fruit gum, caramel, and cookie malts. Nicely balanced and I really like the Columbus-smelling hop funk.

Toasted malt leading edge. Juicy, herbally bitter hop flavors quickly emerge. They become funkier and more pungeant and very delicious! Sweet, sticky, fruity malt bursts forth. Pineapple and other tropical fruits with a butterscotch/caramel foundation. Resinous, piney, numbing, delicious bitterness reclaims the finish. Warming, with lingering sugary fruit sweetness and numbing bitterness. Fantastically well balanced and does not disappoint! Full-bodied and syrupy with a gentle creamy feel. Great stuff! Thanks mynie.

05-20-2007 21:14:48 | More by alexgash
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

An amber, orange beer with a thin head.

Smell is filled with citric fruit, grapefruit and oranges. The malt balances this and gives the beer a sweet, biscuity malt smell.

Taste is bitter, tongue numbing bitter and has strong citric notes of orange zest and grapefruit, not sharp or anything. The hops are also not very aromatic, meaning resinous or piny.
To balance the high bitterness there is a strong malt backbone, which is sweet and sticky, appears to have a lot of dextrines in there. This really inhibits the drinkability in a strong way. Although this beer is balanced, I feel that either the hops and the malt are overdone, hops are too bitter and malt too sweet and full-bodied. I can't help to think there are better examples of the style that are over the top.

Thanks to dogfooddog for this beer!

05-20-2007 09:57:41 | More by Absumaster
peabody

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours out a cloudy amber yellow with three fingers of white suds. Not a lot of lacing occuring here.
Smell is wonderful.Cherry and orange and grapefruit and lemon zest. Nice hops along with a strong yeast and sugary malt.
Very clean taste here but the smell is much better than the taste.
I am getting sour cherry and grape and a sugary sweetness that is simply perfect. This tastes great.
Mouthfeel is a little oily but the aftertaste is complex and very nice.
The only time I can detect the alcohol is after the beer is down the gullet I can feel a warmth past the back of the throat.
Very nice and different from anything I have had so far.

05-20-2007 04:51:21 | More by peabody
BladeRunner

3.8/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It pours a hazy orange with a slightly thick foamy head. Sorry, but I.P.A style beers don't look that great, especially when you compare them to any stout out there. Though, they do look a whole lot better than your average peepee yellow lagers.

Smell is pretty citrusy with no hint of alcohol. Pretty suprising when you consider the high alcohol %.

Taste starts off like most I.P.A's, but then the high alcohol content kicks in and your mouth starts warming up. The downside to this beer is that it wasn't complex enough for me. It started Citrusy, warmed up, and then became slightly too bitter at the end. It's almost one dimensional, when you compare it to St. Bernardus ABT 12.

Like I said before the alcohol really warms up the mouth, and I prefer that in my beers, as long as it still goes down smooth afterwards, which IMHO this beer did not.

When it comes to drinkability it's too subjective. I personally would drink this again if someone else bought it. I myself did not like this beer enough to warrant a second purchase.

05-14-2007 23:24:53 | More by BladeRunner
diego

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

The color is an amber-light reddish orange. It has a good strong hops smell with fruit and nut in it. This beer is all about the hops. It does a much better job that so many other microbrews looking to push all the hoppy goodness they can. It’s bitter but doesn’t have that tree bark bite that usually goes hand in hand. Good stuff but expensive.

05-11-2007 02:42:36 | More by diego
letsgopens

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer by Three Floyds is all that an IPA should be and more. Dreadnaught pours clean and golden with a light white head and a bit of lace.

The aroma is splendid. Fruity, bitter, and earthy with a blusterous hoppiness. Awesome, with hints of lemon and pine.

The flavor is that of pure unadulterated hoppy goodness. Bright and bitter with a massive blend of fruit and hops. The finish is a bit sweeter and smooth with notes of pine, lemon, and orange. Fresh and aromatic.

This beer initially coats the palate with an appetizing bitterness but finishes clean due to a nice tight carbonation. This beer is literally chocked full of flavor.

05-11-2007 00:47:34 | More by letsgopens
ByTor2112

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

I have waited long enough! I got this in a trade with akorsak, so thanks!
Poured a nice deep orange color with a small head forming that left a thin film to hang around.
Aroma- let us see, full-on hops, not pungent but very rich with grapefruit and other citrus notes with a very subtle piney aroma.
Mouthfeel- Great hop bitterness that is intense and then lets the malt come through just a touch before giving a very citrusy-piney finish. Nice thick resinous mouthfeel. I pretty much tasted mostly grapefruit and I thought of Simcoe hops. This was worth the wait and this one is a solid hop bomb! Cheers,
Joe

05-07-2007 15:51:01 | More by ByTor2112
xav33

3.43/5  rDev -22.4%

Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
22 oz bomber
Medium pour in a tulip glass
Recent brewing, braved 05/07

Poured a clear amber orange with a small mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of strong pineapple and citrus, and moderate caramel, apricot, light banana.

Taste was upfront strong sweet mango apricot and oranges with a bitter grassy and spruce hops followed by a strong bitter moss and dry leaves yeast on a moderate finish.

Palate was creamy, lively carbonated, medium to full bodied lightly cloying and strongly astringent.

Overall, a rich malty sweet IPA loaded with fruit flavors and a generous hop bite. Not a personal favorite though, it was fairly hard to drink a whole bomber.

05-07-2007 08:05:54 | More by xav33
Graham21

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into pint glass. Dark Orange in appearance, almost rusty. At first, the beer showed a nice fothy half inch white head which later turned to mediocre lacings.

At first smell, a pleasant piney and hoppy sent were notcied. Also, some citrus, lemons and oranges maybe grapefruit. Spicey undertones, caramel, coriander and something meaty, maybe pork?

Nice punch of hops, that is well balanced with the malts. Starts off bitter and finishes sweet with caramel flavors. Alright mouthfeel, decent carbonation. Maybe a little alcoholic. Overall; a well done IIpa, but no five.

05-07-2007 04:19:20 | More by Graham21
beersabound

Alaska

2.75/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was very excited to try this one. However, I got an old bottle that had started to oxidize. There was no hops in the nose; only a sweetness dominated by wet cardboard. The appearance was clear and the head formed nicely but fell too quickly. The flavor had some good hop flavor, pale malt sweetness and pineapple type goodness. But the staleness was prominent and could be tasted around but was still disappointing. Anyways, I am adding this one just to let others know that there are stale bottles of this on the market; so buyer beware.

I still appreciate the trade with mcallister for this one. It is hard to know how fresh the beer is.

05-07-2007 01:06:21 | More by beersabound
jdoncbus

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in tulip, finger head with lacing. Color is bronze and thick. Pungent aroma of orange, wood, lemon. Sweet, pine taste with a nice alcohol kick that leaves a pleasant touch; excellent malt & hop balance.

A fantastic Imperial - two of these bombers could be fatal. A great way to start any night.

05-05-2007 22:37:54 | More by jdoncbus