Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,729
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
edbeered

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks ever so much to Kingpin for the bottle. This poured a clear reddish amber color(on my second pour, the yeast which had settled to the bottom poured out and now it's a hazy reddish amber). The smell is slight, but has a hoppy as well as a butterscotchy smell. The taste-where to begin? It has an almost burning hop presence, with citrus and earthy flavors predominating, although there hints of spruce or pine as well. There is a strong sweet malty flavor and a hint of butterscotch to round it out. While I wouldn't call this a smooth blending of contrasting flavors, it is instead that harder to achieve all- out war of competing yet complementary flavors, all of which demand my attention. This is an amazing beer and the best DIPA I've ever had. Now if they could only distribute to Minnesota!

04-23-2008 22:30:07 | More by edbeered
gford217

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter courtesy of sativen. Thanks for sharing the Midwest goodies!

A: Pours a hazy orangish amber with a small head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a nice lacing and a few odd bubbles floating around the top.

S: Big citrus hop blast up front with a nice sweet malty aroma to balance it out. Definitely getting major whiffs of orange and grapefruit with some background floral aroma as well.

T: Initial sweet caramel, malty flavor makes way for the aforementioned citric hop blast. Final taste is of piny hops that I didn't get as much in the aroma. Great balance between sweetness and bitterness.

M: Very creamy mouthfeel with little carbonation.

D: A very unique and terrific DIPA. It teeters on the brink of being over the top without quite tipping over. I'm not sure I could drink this all night, but I'd definitely seek it out.

04-18-2008 23:05:56 | More by gford217
jeonseh

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +5.9%

From a 22oz bomber poured into my GI tulip glass.

A - A color that I would say looks like orange tinted syrup. There was a small but quickly dissipating head that did not last long. Has a hint of tangerine and gold in there as well. There is also a lot of carbonation trickling up this one. On the whole has a nice reflective sheen to it.

S - I love this nose whether from a bottle or on tap. Smells of candied pineapple, mango, orange and a hint of bitter hops as well. Even when a little cold this was really big nose and just gets bigger as it warms up. Also get a hint of caramel malt that adds a touch of sweetness as well.

T - What a mix of hops and malt. Originally, very sweet up front and get a big hit of mango and pineapple. After awhile thought the hops sneak up and smack you with a big hit of grapefruit hops that give you a bitter taste in the mouth. I have to say I actually thought that the hops profile was more bitter and the malt was less sweet than when I had it on tap. However, on the whole, the beer seems to have a bit less pop on the whole than when I had it on tap.

MF - An exceptionally smooth brew with a little bit of carbonation that helps to cut through the stickiness that this brew has. The carbonation helps to prevent this one from being cloying and makes it rather nice. Has a nice alcoholic tingle on the backside which you can feel but can't at all taste.

D - Overall, one of my favorite IIPAs. It has a big malt profile that gives this beer a nice sweet aspect that helps to keep it balanced. The hops are still pronunced enough that you realize they are there and they give you enough of a kick to say Wow. Plus, it is hard to believe that this is actually 9.5% ABV. I have to say the bottle is good but lacks a bit compared to the on tap. If you can get it on tap, drink it because it will be one of the best experiences of your beer life. If not, this bomber is still great just pales a bit in comparison. Good with food and by itself and easy to drink at any time. Super good beer.

04-16-2008 00:53:03 | More by jeonseh
katan

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured out of a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a golden color, with a very thick look. Decent amount of carbonation is there. Don't see much for haze.

S - Potent smell. Incredible amount of citrus power that comes from something like cascade hops. Some grapefruit as well. Its almost sharp on the nose. Earthy and grassy as well.

T - That earthy flavors really dominate this one. Its almost like I'm drinking grass at times. This has to be hopped in the extreme. Very bitter, but does have some malt notes. Wraps up with the warming of the alcohol.

M - Creamy and thick. Carbonation doesn't hit the pallet hard. Goes down easy, doesn't fill me up.

D - This baby has alot of bite that makes me drink it slow. I like that in a way, but its not the easiest drinking beer. But then its a DIPA, what do I expect.

Something is wrong here with this one - I admit liking it on tap at their brewery, but this one isn't striking me very well. The grassy notes is almost overbearing and it makes me skittish on drinking more.

04-09-2008 23:02:31 | More by katan
jspruit

Denmark

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Got this 22oz bottle in a trade with johnnnniee-thanks for the chance to try this monster!

Poured a nice amber with some haze and an off-white head about 1.5 fingers high. Lacing settled to small rings around the glass as it went down and head disappeared after a bit.

Some grapefruit bitter hints in the smells, but mostly it's just dominated by nice hops. Round aroma with just a bit of a bite-very nice.

The hops hits you right away in the taste and is the dominant character going down although there is some slight maltiness and sweetness mixed in along with the light fruit notes.

Overall it is a very light and tasty for an IPA this strong and it goes down much smoother than I would have imagined with this sort of ABV. I'd like to drink more of it but it could be dangerous especially with bottles this big. I will definitely try this one again if given the opportunity.

04-05-2008 17:02:46 | More by jspruit
dnichols

Washington

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to abankovich for a great trade that landed this jewel in my collection. I poured from the capped bomber into a tulip while sharing this brew with friends at a tasting event held on a dock located on the Columbia River in Southeast Washington.

A: It poured a hazy, lazy orange with a decent off white head, plenty of carbonation, and lingering lacing.

S: It had a dominant citrusy aroma balanced well by sweet white fruits and caramel malts. The aromas were inviting and complex making it a treat to move from smelling to drinking.

T: It coated the tongue early with a big toasted malt sweetness that was then infused with citrusy and tangy hops (tangy oranges and lemons) and then finished off with sweet ripe white fruits (pears and apples). It finished clean with little aftertaste. It was an extremely well balanced brew with an interesting and entertaining blend of hops and malts.

M: It was medium to full-bodied with an entertaining mouth presence and a warm and clean finish. The alcohol is well hidden.

D: It was a smooth and richly complex brew that was entertaining to drink and a joy to experience.

04-05-2008 14:44:11 | More by dnichols
amiles

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at Chicago's Long Room for 4 dollars a goblet. Fresh as can be... just tapped.

A: Typical DIPA tinted gold color, nice thin layer of white head.

S: Blast of grapefruit, and fresh hops. Great vibes coming from the aroma.

T: Very very nice. This was the first time I had this brew, and it was just what I expected/wanted... Strong, and quite hoppy. Again, blast of grapefruit and other light colored fruits, and hops, hops, hops.

M: Smooth and nice. Yup.

D: I could drink these things till the sun came up, but I'd probably end up on the floor twitching or something.

Overall... The ussual BIG price tag on the bombers turned me off to this beer, especially since it's no more than an hour drive away, but I might seek this one out in the future. Big PLUS is the 4 dollar price tag at The Long Room. A steal...

04-01-2008 03:34:25 | More by amiles
nrbw23

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Hazy burnt orange in color with a nice white head.

S- Various citrus odors here from grapefruit, peaches and a little apple. Also could pick up floral and hops.

T- Well balanced, very nice hop taste and more smooth and not as bitey as some other IPAs

M- Great mouth feel, nice and balanced. Perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Very drinkable and the alcohol content is well hidden. I could not pick up on it. A very nice brew.

03-31-2008 09:43:33 | More by nrbw23
DrDogbeer

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

thanks to Lightindarkness for this one! Poured into a goblet. Nice hazy orange/amber color. thin white head that leaves good amount of lacing. Smell is delish- lots of citrusy hops. Taste warms me! Solid flavor, lots of biterness, but also smooths as it goes down. Good balance for a DIPA. This one gets better as I drink it. Some graininess, but overall very drinkable. Another amazing offering from FFF.

03-29-2008 01:33:31 | More by DrDogbeer
hellcatsjg

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Cloudy and dark golden brew. Tiny head disappears leaving a slight ring around the glass.

Smell: Sweet and fruity scents mixed with spiciness and citrusy hops. Very nice aroma.

Taste: Very good. You initially get a malty sweet and fruity flavor that transitions to a nice citrus hop flavor. After the swallow, the hop flavor lingers and becomes piney. Very tasty and very complex.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick but also very smooth. There is a good bit of carbonation present as well. As mentioned, very nice flavor left behind, and there is even complexity to the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very good beer that would only be hurt by its heaviness. Definitely one of the most balanced DIPA's out there with a good amount of the sweet and the bitter. Highly recommended.

03-21-2008 01:23:22 | More by hellcatsjg
abankovich

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a snifter from the 22oz bottle. The off-white lacing disappeared almost entirely very quickly. However there are a lot of carbonation bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass below the meniscus. The beer is a nice, soft orange/amber color with a slight haze.

Wow. This beer smells delicious. I love hops and this one definitely delivers. Smells warm, citrusy and a little sweet. Small hints of spice also present. A little fruity smelling as well, I mean this differently from the citrus that I noticed. I guess I'm noticing more fruity notes like grapes, apples or strawberries normally remind you of; but I'm not specifically noticing exactly which fruit I'm smelling.

First sip left sour pains in the back of my mouth. Excellent. Lots of hop character present in this one. The bitterness fades to a slightly toasted flavor on the back end. Also noticing some anise as well.

Mouthfeel is amazingly light and crisp, I was not expecting this at all. It only adds to the drinkability of this beer, which is very high. Alcohol is well-hidden.

You've got to love hop bitterness to enjoy this beer I think. If you do, you're in for a great treat.

03-21-2008 00:45:39 | More by abankovich
JDV

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

Hazy orange pour with a lasting creamy beige head atop. Smell is nice and aromatic with big fruity, citrusy hops in the nose. Taste was hopped but not nearly as much as expected and had strong notes of orange, peachiness to it. Candied bitter orange peel flavor to it. Much more balanced than expected. Decent body and a bitter orange finish. Mild alcohol presence but a very nicely drinkable IIPA. My rating will probably go up drinking this in more than a sample glass size at a time and looking forward to trying it again.

03-20-2008 02:59:34 | More by JDV
srandycarter

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to bakerslp for the trade!

A - Nice light murky amber, small head, lacing small but persistent.

S - Heavy sweet malt aroma. Some hops.

T - Lunch. Very big malt treat, finished with classy hop balance.

M - A beer that won't be denied. Commands and delivers. A little more carb would have been nice.

D - Yeaah, I would drink this until I woke up in some field.

03-08-2008 04:36:04 | More by srandycarter
tmitch75

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Beautiful pinkish orange color, especially under the light, no head or lacing.

Smells awesome - floral & fruity - lots of citrus.

Starts out fruity, lots of grapefruit and other citrus. The hops are also piney after that. Just enough malt to keep it smooth. A touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth with almost no carbonation.

Awesome beer. I feel this may soon outgrow my budget, so I thoroughly enjoy it while I can.

Tasted on 1/31/08

03-07-2008 05:46:14 | More by tmitch75
bgramer

Washington

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Bought a bunch of this at Binny's to stock up with.

Popping it's cap, I smelled the floral and citrus right away. It was a noseful and got stronger as I poured it into a tulip glass. The carbonation was overpowering and created a head about 2 fingers thick before settling down. The tulip is a perfect glass for this imperial IPA beer.

It was no surprise that this beer was very sweet and malty with some citrus and pine elements. The traditional "signature 3F" hoppiness smell and taste definitely balanced it out.

This is a very drinkable beer - and watch out for it's ABV that'll sneak up on ya. One of my favorites.

03-05-2008 20:14:34 | More by bgramer
Stoneman78

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Obtained in trade from MuenchenerKindl, contents poured into a Stone OG tulip glass, currently #13 on BA

Appearance is an opaque dull orange with some amber highlights, thin layer of off-white creamy foam that dissipates to a ring, swaths of sticky lacing on the glass

Smell is big, fragrant hops, mostly floral and pine resin, slight citrus tones, caramel and toast malts linger as does slight alcohol, very flavorful and delicious

Taste is initially sweetened pine hops, transitions to thick chewy caramel and bready malts, tones of oranges and cotton candy, finishes bitter with a hint of alcohol warming

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, creamy and slick resiny texture, carbonation is ample but moderate

Drinkability is high given the abv, a flavorful and balanced DIPA that has a nice interplay of hops and malts, I am impressed with the hop presence and this continues my obsession with this midwestern brewery

03-03-2008 04:44:29 | More by Stoneman78
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to bassmantin for this brew! Cheers!

Pours a nice burnt orange with no head. The smell is lovely. A nice hoppy aroma dominates the smell of this beer. Its very very nice. The taste is very hoppy w/ a mild touch of alcohol. I really enjoy this Imperial IPA. This is a very drinkable beer for the ABV. I really enjoy this brew!

Overall, this beer is a very nice representation of an Imperial IPA!! I love this brew!

02-27-2008 02:26:30 | More by iconoklaztor
bassmantin

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Props to iconoklaztor for letting me sip this one. I traded it to him for a Ten Fidy, but he was good enough to let me sample it anyway.

Beautiful appearance. It has that glowing gold/orange color. This is a legend, and I cant' wait to dive in.

Smells very malty for an IPA. I am shocked by the sweetness in the nose of this beer. Looking forward to seeing what the taste has in store for me. Taste is a phenomenal surprise. The floral sweetness is amazing, but the hops come in and balance out the taste quite well. This is the sweetest this beer has ever tasted for me, and I have had it several other times. What a complex beer.

Highly recommended. One of the best IPAs out there.

02-27-2008 02:18:50 | More by bassmantin
Floydster

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

22 ounce bomber received in a trade with pimpp, thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally try this brew, poured into my Duvel tulip glass last night

A-Golden orange with some red highlights, 3/4 inch creamy white head, stuck around forever, some sticky lacing at the beginning

S-Pine and citrus dominated at first, then malt scents arose when it warmed, started to smell real sweet after a while, toasty at times too

T-First fews sips had a lot of pine in it and then it seemed to disappear, leaving behind lemon and grapefruit tastes, then the large malt backbone really kicked in with sweet and chewy accents, a little floral at times, nicely balanced when it is colder, but malt could become overwhelming once it warms, tasty DIPA overall

M-Thick body for its style, not much carbonation, bitter and sweet mouthfeel, taste lingers for a good amount of time

D-Could have finished this bomber but chose not to, not too heavy for how sweet it becomes, almost ten percent alcohol though, it is hidden well, smooth

Regretted not buying this at Walnut Liquorette when I saw it for fifteen dollars, so then I had to trade for it, been wanting to try this one for quite some time, a little disappointed to be honest but still an above average double IPA, would drink again, recommended

02-26-2008 17:33:32 | More by Floydster
erosier

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Pours a nice copper color with a thick tan colored head that laces the glass really nicely. It smells of some roasted malts followed by a ton of hops. All sorts of citrisy, earthy, floral, and piney hops. The taste is excellent with a nice rich roasted malty base followed with a huge hop bitterness but it blends very well with the malts. The citirisy hop bitterness is blended very well with the piney and floral hops. The mouthfeel is crisp and bitter. The drinkability is good, especially for a beer this big.

02-24-2008 21:25:19 | More by erosier
joepais

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks Jay23 for the opportunity to sample this fine beverage

The 22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass produced a fingers worth of head that turned to lace rather quickly. It has a wonderfull clear copper body

Aromas of pine and citrus a very nice floral smell as well

Flavors of sweet malt up front that kind of surprised me it really help balance out the piney hop bitter

Nice carbonation medium body with a truly smooth almost oily finish

Very drinkable beer I want to try it again I wish there was a freshness date on the bottle being so highly rated I didn't think it was up to the hype Its good don't get me wrong I can think of a few that I like better thought

02-22-2008 20:59:36 | More by joepais
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

From Notes. 22 oz bottle. Review #500!

Pour: crystal clear, vibrant golden-amber under a shortish white skim of foam.

Nose: An opus of hop complexity - grapefruit, apricot and pine, with notes of brandy, grape juice and intense sweet caramel.

Taste: biscuit/caramel malts, juicy grapefruit, resinous pine sap. Good interplay between sweet and bitter profiles. Boozy bite in the finish.

Feel: dense, but slick and smooth, with peppery carbonation

Drinkibility/Overall: Rock solid for the style. Hits all the right notes with an incredibly intense nose and taste. Not the most complex DIPA I've had overall, but impressively balanced. High premium makes this a rare treat however.

02-21-2008 05:57:47 | More by Golden2wenty1
dsigmon

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

bottle thanks to pimpp. you're the man!

A: golden orange with very thin head that dissapates quickly leaving a good amount of lacing on the side.

S: wow does this have nose! I haven't encountered any IPA that smells this sweet. i actually get a fair amount of luscious caramel here at first with floral and pine in the background.

T: very sweet caramel and apple flavor with a slightly boozy finish along with some ripe grapefruit and pine in the background. the hops are definitely not the highlight of this beer but seems to be more malty and balanced. definite alcohol presence, slightly warming.

M: oily and very lightly carbonated (maybe a little flat at this point?)

D: wow, my fist FFF beer and im loving it!

02-18-2008 02:35:31 | More by dsigmon
manleyphoto

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Three Floyds does a hell of a job with hops.

this has a massive sweet and thick malt backbone, with a hop carachter that I've not encountered too many times before.

The beer is an orangish amber and the hops come across as full on citrus with touches of pineapple, and mango.

I really, really like Dreadnaught and unfortunately can't get it too often.

Whatever 3F's does to its hops they are doing it well.

02-15-2008 22:36:15 | More by manleyphoto
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to autumnaldave for knocking this want off my list!

Pours a hazy golden/orange color with a thin head that leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell is of sweet piney hops, nice floral aroma, strong citrus presence to this one.

Whoa, quite the kick to it right off the bat, seems like a cross between an IPA and a barleywine really, strong citrus hop taste melded with a sweet caramel malt and a slight fruitiness, can easily tell this is a strong beer though as it's a bit warming. The hop presence was also a bit weaker than I would imagine for this DIPA, might have faded since there's no way of telling with a lack of freshness date on the bottle.

02-15-2008 19:37:47 | More by deltatauhobbit