Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,835
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
3.86/5  rDev -12.5%

a treasured grant from Peesie, thanks good sir..
the red-orange glow emanates from the tulip, i look back to the deranged men on the bottle, searching for wisdom. i find none. merely a well balanced big ipa in a glass. the sweetness of the malts is apparent, playing off the dancing fruits and the hop resin. mandarin or mango, perhaps an amalgamation. everything blends well to mask the alcohol within, which becomes apparent when i realize i've not eaten lunch.. a very solid offering from the fine folks in indiana.

3.97/5  rDev -10%

Three Floyds Dread Naught is a 9.5% Imperial IPA. It pours a hazy golden amber color. It smelled of sweet citrus hops, mango (some got the mango some didn't), caramel, malty and earthy. It tasted more citrus hops than tropical and bitter. It was incredibly smooth for being 9.5% and had a light aftertaste.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

C. Orange
H. Clear
N. Crazy Fruits...Mango and Peach subtle hops and caramel

Alright I think this tasting took me a total of a full hour. This is such a complex beer, I wanted to taste it cold, and allow it to warm up to get the entire spectrum of flavor. Cold I got a lot of fruit, heavy caramel and a tad bit of alcohol. Warm I got a balanced blend of caramel and sweetness from fruit (sweet mango), and a touch of alcohol. This is really an interesting beer. The label doesn't lie..."IT'S NOT NORMAL". This is my first introduction to Three Floyds and I think I found my new favorite brewery, sorry Magic Hat. WHAT?!? Magic Hat? Yep, The thing I love about Magic Hat, now Three Floyds, and even Cigar City is the fact that they don't brew "normal" beers. They are flavored a bit off, and the breweries seem to take more of a risk and somehow it works. Once again this beer was part of a trade. I look forward to getting my hands on some more next year!

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks jdefont

22oz bottle, Delerium tulip

A: Dark amber core, a hazy golden color around the edges. Head quickly dissipated into a whispy cap, excellent sticky lacing - highlighted almost every sip.

S: Exploding with citrus hops, pine trees, bready malt. Quite potent and distinct - exactly what im looking for in a DIPA.

T: Fruity hops, oily coating pine resin. Sweet caramelized malt complimented with some floral/grassy undertones. Well balanced, barely a hint of alcohol. Finishes semi dry and bitter, Im ready for the next sip.

M: Medium bodied, medium to low carbonation. The hop profile presents itself as resiny and coating...so smooth.

D: This is quaff-able without a doubt, but it has enough character to keep you sipping on this for a while if you choose. I had half of my bottle with dinner, and the other half to enjoy afterwards.

Overall, an excellent, well balanced DIPA.

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap at the brewpub, poured into a half pint glass (uh, how cute)

The color is that of slightly dull & muted burnt copper with a few lighter-hued highlights around the bottom of the glass. Tobacco burst appearance. The pour offered a ½ inch head that dissipates pretty quickly. Despite thin retention, lacing is actually very good & solid.

Dreadnaught smells of dense & juicy hops. Potent notes of pine tar & earthy, floral tones (floral aromas become much more notable as it warms). Also prominent is a lot of citric goodness - grapefruit, lemon zest & orange peel. There isn't too much malt to be found.

Pine hits give way to floral overtones followed by notes of peely, pithy & zesty citrus; mostly grapefruit & lemon. The flavor profile is pretty good in terms of hoppiness, but it just seems lacking in bitterness, in my opinion. It exhibits reasonable bitterness - which improves with warmth - but falls too far short of the harsh, gnashing of teeth I like from my DIPAs. To its credit, this beer is much drier than I would have expected, with just a faint sweetness hanging in the back.

Dreadnaught is moderately heavy & medium bodied with appropriately low carbonation. It's definitely a dense beer; very resinous & gritty. Lingering on the finish is a pine tar bitterness. I just wish it was more prominent to taste.

Drinkability is good; it's certainly not lacking flavor. Far from disappointing, it simply did not blow my mind. Still, I reckon it's pretty good. What the hell is up with the dainty half pint, though? We're all adults here; I think we can handle a full pint.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

When I first got into crafts I always had a hard to rationalizing the price of FFF bombers. I dont know why I just did. I always questioned to whether or not it was worth the price when I could get a 6 pack of alpha king for the same price. This is 100% worth it. I haven't never bought a bomber from FFF and been disappointed.
This brew got a perfect 5 on the nose from me. It is like getting pricked with pine needles while squirting citrus in your wounds! It follows through to the palate and is the ideal Imperial IPA in my beer journey thus far. This beer is full of gypsy and jesus tears. Never a let down, FFF.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

A: pours a deep clear golden, 1 finger thick dense white head, sticky lacing

S: huge onslaught of hops on the front- pine needles and citrus, a sweet malty profile sits beneath the assertive hop profile. This one smells like hop heaven.

T: the order of flavors goes citrus, pine, then a toasty malt profile with a hint of sweetness followed by heat on the end. The hop profile takes center stage- everything about this beer is delicious.

MF: higher carbonation with a pretty thick body, the combo works for the beer

D: Wow.. nothing like a glass of fresh Dreadnaught. Certainly an excellent DIPA that is a bit more piney and bitter than Hopslam or Double Trouble, but also has a bigger malt presence.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear light amber with a substantial cream-colored head.

Smells strongly of citrusy, grapefruit hops with a slight caramel sweetness.

Taste is full-on bitter grapefruit upfront which subsides into a good balance of roasted caramel malt. Bitter, hoppy finish that lingers nicely. On the first pour I was getting some floural/piney hops in the finish, but not any more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

Really smooth and easy to drink with a nice balance of hops and malts.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

A- pours a hazy copper orange color with a nice thick white head that sits atop this beer for a while, never really leaving. there is very nice lacing that is left as u drink this beer.

S- Good sweet malt backbone with great hop pfofile coming through mainly as citrus an tropical fruits, there's also some pine notes here bu mainly fruit.

T- pretty similar to the nose. the hops dance around for the whole experience, backed by some nice malty sweetness. alot of nice citrus and tropical fruit flavors up front, some pine mixes in all backed by the malty sweetness, then finishes nice with a nice crispy bitterness.

M/D- medium bodied with good carbonation. perfect for this style. very drinkable. another i wish was available in CT

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

via Sylph

Slightly hazy orange color. Large, creamy white head is clumpy like mashed 'taters. Head never really leaves just diminishes a bit than rides the retention elevator to glass bottom. Drops lace rings off at each floor. I like this metaphor.

I like sticking my nose in a glass and thinking of adjectives like "hop euptopia," "hop symphony," or even "hop jazz quartet" etc. Sweet fruity malt, pine, and candy tropical fruit hops like resiny hop sap, pink grapefruit and mango candy slices.

Hop flavor from beginning to end. Let's see, I spy resiny pine sap hops with more tropical fruit hops with some pink grapefruit hops and even a little bit of lemon sugar bittersweet hop. Thick, cakelike malt with a boozey accompanyment--like a vodka soaked cake.

Heavy malt character weighs down the hops somewhat in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

-dark amber with a good looking khaki colored head. i like that its on the dark end for an IPA. tasty looking indeed!

-very malty and on the fruity side of malts. some decent hop in there, but not the forefront

-this is one of the more balanced 2IPA's i've had. almost comes close to an english barleywine in taste. the hops is still there, but doesn't blast your tastebuds by any means

-very smooth and rich. good body

-very enjoyable beer. an extremely drinkable "english" 2IPA. wish it was easier for me to get more of

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow. I have lived in Chicago with access to his for awhile and have not taken advantage. I'm an idiot.

Pours out a pure orange color with the smell of oranges, apricot, and other fruit yet to be determined.

The taste is overwhelmingly fruity with a nice finish that sticks around for you to enjoy a good time longer. The alcohol is hidden so well, I am half tempted to just slam glass after glass with no regards to it's capacity. I can't fullCy express how delicious this beer is.

I must say this is the finest example of what I consider an American DIPA that I have found. The start to finish of this treasure is pure enjoyment. I would absolutely make this an everyday beer if not for the price, but given the opportunity to have this on hand, I will stock up my share. Those of you not fortunate enough to get this in your area, make a concerted effort to get your hands on a bottle or 2.

Cheers!

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brixie's tonight in Brookfield, IL...poured into a snifter...enjoyed while having my face melted by "Kashmir" a Led Zeppelin tribute band, high quality beer and Zeppelin cover band? Fuck Yea!

After having this many times from the bottle, really wanted to try it on tap to pretty much assure I was getting a very fresh pour...

Pours a golden yellow with good clarity, a nice two finger fluffy white head develops and sticks around for a while, some lacing is left as I drink...

Smell is wonderful, citrusy hops, pineapple with some piny/resin hop aromas as well. Good amount of sweet malt is noticeable in the nose as well, a bit of alcohol, but gives the impression that I will soon be tasting one fine tasting, well balanced brew...

Nice earthy/floral hop bitterness right up front, piny and thick hop oil/resin taste. Some citrus hop character shows through, grapefruit and a bit of pineapple. Malt character shows, adding some nice substance and thickness, really balances out the brew perfectly...

Medium bodied but nice and chewy from the abundance of resiny hops and good amount of sweet malt. Carbonation is right on making for a well coating, easy drinking beer...alcohol is non-existent...

Wonderful, could drink these all night, the alcohol is so well hidden behind a fully flavored, perfectly balanced hoppy beer that it becomes dangerous after a while, you forget you are enjoying a near 10% beer...Three Floyds really nailed this one!

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%

Revisiting an old friend....

This Dreadnaught pours with moderate to light carbonation, but the bottle has been open awhile. Color is a fairly clear deep gold. Really wonderful aroma of fruits and spices; peach, tangerine, frankincense, vanilla and God knows what else. This bottle has warmed up quite a bit and the carbonation has diminished somewhat leaving me with a very silky Dreadnaught. Very complex fruit and spice flavors are delicately woven into the malt backbone of this beer. While sipping this I actually flash back to an IPA from Minnesota, Masala Mama, which I haven't had for a couple years. There's this sort of burnt caramel sort of flavor that surfaces in Dreadnaught. I love how the malt and hops flavors mix and create such a tasty combination in this beer. There's just something about this perfect combination of hops and malt in this beer that induces joy. Still my favorite DIPA.

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer pours a dark golden color with a white head that laces the glass as it dissipates.
It smells very strongly of piney hops and grapefruit that remind me of something I would crave on cool spring afternoon (who are we kidding cool spring morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night, midnight, early morning).
Sweet grapefruit citrus flavor up front with the hop grassy like bitterness takes most of my attention after that.
Mouthfeel is thick dry and wet all at the same time. I don't think they could have packed anymore hops into this beer with out the bottle exploding.
One of the most refreshing, bitter sweet, citrusy DIPA's out there. The 9.5% ABV doesnt even begin to show its head making you want to drink glass after glass after glass.
Now I am going to enjoy my second glass from the bomber and then most likely cry because I only have one.

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours dark gold with lots of white head. Smells and tastes of pungent grapefruit hops. Plenty of malt behind the hops and quite bitter, as expected. Body is medium with fairly high carbonation. Overall, a pretty good beer, but I probably won't go out of my way to get this again.

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

Much thanks to sjccmd for this one.

A-Pours a golden/orange with a thin white head that faded quick but left decent lacing.

S-Citrus hops, not overpowering, but noticeable with a sweet malt aroma as well.

T-Bitter, citrus hops, a bit of pine resin and alcohol, caramel malt. Its definitely a DIPA, but is more toward the balanced side than many.

M-Crisp carb bite, yet slick and a bit creamy. Medium body.

D-Big yet drinkable. Had no problem finishing the bomber, but one was enough.

Overall, I think this beer is a bit overhyped. Its certainly a good beer, but I can think of many other DIPAs I'd rather have.

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked this up from phaleslu, looking forward to this for some time. Poured a golden amber with a big chunky head. The smell was the best part, big sweet citrusy hops dominated, and kept you going back for more. Taste was also big and hoppy, but seriously, with all the hype, I felt it kind of finished on a thud. Don't get me wrong, this was an "A" beer, but I was expecting something more. Mouthfeel was a little light, but overall very drinkable, i'll have another.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Clear, copper pour, two fingers of stiff, khaki color head, lacing aplenty.

Smell - Citric, grassy, resinous hops; sweet malty aroma; alcohol presence.

Taste - MASSIVE citrus hop, tropical fruit, pine resin, caramel malt, and a massive bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body, moderate carbonation. Gently warming alcohol presence.

Drinkability - Wow. Big citrus, minimal grassy/pine notes, more malt than I expected, but very balanced. Alpha King turned to 11. Possibly one of my new favorite strong brews.

3.88/5  rDev -12%

22oz brown glass pry-top. No date (to my chagrin). $12.99

Cloudy amber with little to no head. Aromas of sugary hop candy, citrus peals, green apple and leafy buds. Palate is sharp and bitter, sweet and round. The hops show signs of ageing a little, but this beer is going strong. Like fresh squeezed hop-aid. Bitter-sweet, lime-y and delicious.

Ouch. My poor tastebuds...

Please put dates on your beer for us poor out-of-towners!

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to Thomashardy for this one.
Poured into a tulip. Beer was a nice dark golden/amber color with decent head. Some nice lacing left on the glass. Smell is wonderful. Nice citrus whiffs with a malt presence to fill it out. I personally felt that the smell was the best part of the beer. The taste was less of a palate assault and more of a journey in picking out the flavors. As it warmed the citrus opened up and got flavors of apricot and melon. The ABV hides itself well and the beer is very drinkable.Again there is a nice malt presence that makes this beer well balanced. I was glad to get to try this one.

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Half inch fluffy dense head. Good lacing around the glass. Murky yellow body with orange tints.

S- The smell is the best part of this beer, endging out the taste. I first got mango, and then grapefruit. There was a little pine.

T- Tasted the mango first and then the tart pine lingered on the tongue. the sweet caramel backbone to this beer balanced out so well that I understand the hype around this brew now. The alcohol was slightly warming but almost nonexistent.

M- Good modorate carbonation. with a nice thick malt that gives the beer a body.

D- The drinkability matches that of any superior IPA i have had but brings a taste and balance that is not matched.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle with me. This was beer No. 1200 for me.

Pours a slightly murky golden color with a white head. The aroma is lot of hop flavor: mango, citrus and orange. The flavor is orange and other citrus with medium bitterness. Medium-thick mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Definitely lives up to the hype.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Slightly hazy pale orange, with lots of bubbles. White, quarter inch head that recedes to a thin coating.
Smell is not as intensely hoppy as I expected, but still quite good. Seems to intensify and become more interesting as it warms up. The usual IPA aromas, but a little more complex and perhaps more balanced- hops, pineapple, citrus, banana, pine, and a little malt backbone.
Taste is very good- malty, brief sweet flash followed by a hoppy, bitter finish. Faint citrus and pineapple. Alcohol well-concealed.
Mouthfeel is crisp and prickly, a'elr fresh.
Very drinkable as well; I'd drink this one all night I had enough.
Very happy this one is finally available with a quick hop over the border.

A: Poured a deep, rather thick orangish brown with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is big with pineapple, caramel, biscuity malt, floral.

T: Taste is GREAT. After having this back to back with PtY I can say I liked Dreadnaught better. Fresh fruits, pineapple, tropical, some floral notes, caramel.

M: More malts, better balance, chewy, big hops, pine, pineapple on the taste, tasty indeed, was not a full out palate killer.

D: Extremely drinkable and smooth. Wow. I loved this stuff! Only the second perfect score so far.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.