Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,779
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a bomber at room temperature. Distinct copper-orange with a moderate white head.

Strong resin aroma. Smells a lot like a wet-hopped ale.

Tastes like you'd expect- lotsa candied pine and hop resins - but with a bit of fresh pear on the finish.

Leaves a little tar on the tongue which soon dissipates.

Alpha King is one of my favorite beers. This was like Alpha King on steroids. Possibly too much?

This is an awesome drink. But for the money, I think Sierra Nevada's Wet-Hop Harvest Ale delivers a lot of the same pleasurable experience at a much cheaper price. I know they are not the same style, but I'm just saying, dollar for dollar...

PrinceDarren, Apr 17, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Drank this while listening to Bill Callahan's album, "Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle."

Appearance: First let me say that drinking this beer has been a long time coming and now the time is here. Dreadnaught pours a very nice warm coppery orange color. It has only minimal cloudiness. There is an average amount of off-white/tan head that doesn't stick around for very long. A brisk swirl will give you about two fingers worth. There is a very good amount of gooey lacing on the sides of the glass that slowly bring their way back down to the rest of the beer.

Smell: Fuggin' A this is about the cleanest smelling IPA I've ever had the privilege of sniffing. I should have put on a diaper before opening this bottle because I think I've just shat myself. The hop presence is just phenomenal; enough to make you grin from ear to ear. I mean I'd almost sell my car for a case of this aroma. There is a heavy load of citrus and pine in this one, and it also contains the faint pineapple, grapefruit, and mango components that are prevalent in some of the more brilliant IPAs out there. Mainly, though, it's like sticking your nose in a freshly opened bag of pressure-sealed hops. I mean this just smells gorgeous - I know because I can't get my nose out of the glass. The anticipation of drinking this beer has now been elevated even more. Here goes...

Taste: Okay now that I'm up off the floor from fainting..! This thing is like a hop lover's wet dream. Right away there is an enormous amount of spiciness and bitterness from the hops. The flavor doesn't immediately hit you as strongly as the nose would suggest, but after swallowing it you can really taste the magnificence of this bad mutha (shut yo mouth). I definitely taste the hops in this one. You can definitely tell that there is a good amount of malt playing a supporting role here, but you really won't care. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped and probably the best $12 I've ever spent in my life.

Mouthfeel: The tongue just rejoices when Dreadnaught hits it. The bitterness is one that lingers for a little while and holds the flavors along with it. What makes this remarkable on the palate, though, is that it is just bitter enough, but it never becomes too much. After the beer has gone down your throat, it still hangs around and just radiates itself nicely on the palate.

Overall: So many people claim that their IPA is a hop lover's dream, but Three Floyd's ain't kidding. I've had Bell's Hopslam and Russian River's Pliny the Elder so I was really curious to know where this one stood amongst them. It's not as pineapple-y as the Hopslam and it's certainly more intense than the Pliny. This one fits very nicely in-between them all. To put it bluntly, Dreadnaught is stunning in every way and everything I'd hoped it would be. It epitomizes everything I love in a good double IPA: balanced; bitter; aromatic as hell; and drinkable beyond belief. A super fresh Hopslam is the only thing I've had thus far that can hold a candle to it. Thank God I was able to get a couple of these because I'd be sad if this were the only time I'd get to enjoy this beer for a while. Get divorced, sell your home, or take out a loan from a bank; but whatever you do get yourself a few bottles of this love. There is a reason why this is number one on many peoples' sites.

The Grand Ole Hopry

amneziak, Apr 16, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

A -Hazy orange copper with a thick off-white head that held on strong and left lots of thick, clumping lace.

S-Big, fat, juicy citrus and pine hop notes with a beefy caramel malt backbone that supports without getting in the way. This is what hop aroma dreams are made of!

T-Big, fat GIANT hops with tons of juicy citrus, a bit of pine and some spicy notes for good measure. Sweet caramel malt pokes it's head into the party but does not vie for the center of attention. More it makes for a supporting guest.

M-Medium body, slick, smooth and creamy. Long lasting hop bitterness with a nice dry finish.

D-One of my very favorites! This brew fresh is about as good as they come. A DIPA dream come true! Would the fact that I sat and drank SEVEN pints in succession indicate it's drinkability? No, I didn't drive afterwards!

Deuane, Apr 15, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle into red wine glass - big thanks to Dev (buckeyesox) for this one.

Pours a beautifully bright clear copper, vibrant bright orange, with a soapy thin head and incredible lacing. Really disappointed in no head at all though.

Nose is intense, fresh, if a bit one dimensional - bright, intensely sweet citrusy grapefruit rind, mango, spicy, with a caramel underpinning.

Taste follows the nose. Big caramel up front, bit toasty, nice citrusy grapefruit note, and a big, firm underlying bitterness, prickly. I was expecting a much bigger dose of hop flavor from this one, but I feel like the caramel drowns it out a bit, leaving the bitterness only. No pine really, just the huge integration of citrus and caramel that leaves the two nigh inseparable over the bitter, prickly finish.

As a note, this one deserves to be drank warm, closer to room temperature. Much improved at that stage.

Mouthfeel was slick and syrupy, with a fluffy carbonation up front that eventually moves to a bit under-carbonated.

Drinkability is kind of iffy for me on this one - more emphasis on hop flavor and less on bitterness would probably bring it up a notch or two, but as it is I'd be happy with about a pint of this all told.

A nice beer, but it was dealing with expectations that were impossible for it to attain I think, having had a 2 week old Pliny a few days before. Dreadnaught is still a Prince, understand, but Pliny is still King. Apples and Oranges, yes, but when someone asks you what's your favorite fruit...

JohnQVegas, Apr 14, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

Lugged this one home in a checked bag. Happy to give it a try.

Big, orange beer. Nice looking, though not much head. Smell exhibits tons of apricot and peach. Nice as it is different from a lot of the piney/citrusy west coast IPAs. A lot of what I would describe as perfume. Quite a lot of malt for a DIPA and very sweet. Beer is very balance as the bitter hops are balanced by the malt. I am sure this is a good quality, but I tend to like the hop bombs. Very fruity taste, but again, a bright floral peach/apricot rather than grapefruit. Mouthfeell and drinkability take a hit for me as Dreadnaught is a bit thick and syrupy, which is a huge knock in my book. Might just be a style preference, but there are a number of West Coast IPAs that I prefer to Dreadnaught. At $12 a bomber? Good stuff, still....

yeastsipper, Apr 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired via trade from alleykatking...thanks Josh! 650ml bottle poured into a snifter. No bottling info or abv info is given.

A-Pours a hazy amber, more on the orange side of the spectrum. On the first pour a small head is produced that goes quickly into a few bubbles around the rim. A second pour results in a ring that stays a lot longer with much better head retention.

S-Sweet malt hits first and is quite predominant. Citrusy hops jump in next, followed closely by their floral cousins. Booze can definitely be detected.

T-Tastes a whole lot like it smells. The sweet malt flavor hits first, followed by citrusy hops that taste like pineapple and fresh peppery mango. The booze is also hitting my palate.

M-Lower carbonation with a thick, chewy mouthfeel. It is fairly oily but is lacking in the bitterness factor.

D-Too sweet for me and lacking in the bitterness category.

I was very excited to try this beer and left feeling disappointed. After so much hype I felt I was getting an incredible DIPA and I felt I was left with more of a malt bomb. In fairness, I could not date the freshness of this bottle. I would love to try this fresh from the source in order to gauge a true opinion, but until then I will be glad to have Pliny and Hop Stoopid readily available.

mjl21, Apr 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

22 oz bomber thanks to the great spointon for a crack at this brew. I have heard a lot about this brew and all has been good, so why not give it a shot. The artwork is crazy in typical FFF fashion. Served this one up in my shaped DFH pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty dark orange that has some reddish brown hues to it. Held to the light, it comes through as a more yellow to really light orange color. The pour got me a little over a finger of pristine white head. The retention is just ok, falling to a semi-thick collar. The head that remains does create some really sticky lacing and really coats the glass well. The only thing that frightens me about this beer is the fact that I can see little to none carbonation activity. Freaks me out a bit. Still a good looking brew.

S: Smell is . . . well, quite hoppy. Getting a lot of grapefruit rind coming out here at th start. Then comes a really resiny pine, I mean some heavy pine. This actually smells like freshly cut pine. Then there is a slight medicinal and astringent smell. There is a slight presence of caramel, malty sweetness poking through, but its not toning down these hops. Very nice.

T: Yet again those hops shine. The pine is the initial flavor though. Lots of resin and green pine flavor. Then comes some of that citrusy and puckering grapefruit presence. That medicinal quality does come in a bit heavy in the flavor, but it works to cool down that pine and grapefruit. The malt once again pokes its head in to see whats going on but doesn't really contribute to the party. Just a touch of sweet caramel that soothes and rubs up against these hops. Really helps here.

M: Medium in body with a pretty slick and oily feel. Really coats with some oily quality. Carbonation is pretty light here which is a bit weird but it works. Makes this beer feel a little heavier, but still remains refreshing. This beer finishes pretty dry with a bit of ABV heat resting on the palate and at the back of the throat. Aftertaste is that medicinal hops presence.

D: This beer is pretty damned good actually. Its pretty much all hops, and its a hops lover's dream for sure. The flavor remains balanced as far as crazily hopped beers go. By balanced I mean the hops are balanced and really meld together well. The malt really doesn't stand a chance at all. Everything about this beer says quality and is really enjoyable. Easy drinking and actually sits pretty light in the stomach. Fine beer.

everetends, Apr 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz amber bottle.

Appearance - Orange/amber in color. Clear with a lively carbonation. A huge ivory head formed upon the initial pour. Medium bubbles which leave a rocky meringue-like surface. Ample lacing.

Smell - The inital aroma was the typical hop/citus nose, but unlike a majority of DIPAs I actually find a large malty aroma as well. A bit of a biscuit aroma as well, along with a caramel presentation. The hop presence was not an overpowering piney/citrusy nose, once you got past the intial presentation.

Taste - The malty sweetness is actually the first thing that hits me with this beer, and I'm glad for it. The opening is all about a malt balance that I have not often found in a DIPA. The finish is impressively dry, due to the hop bite finish.

Mouthfeel - Very thick and chewy. Lots of sweet malt "sticky" leftovers as well. The carbonation is right on with this one. Good amount to assist in slinging this around your mouth.

Drinkability - I liked this better than Pliny the Elder. There, I've said it. I was quite impressed with the balance of this DIPA. It wasn't "all about the hops" and this takes alot of balls to still brew this one strong. Well done.

Nesued, Apr 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: This beer is a deep amber color with a bit of red thrown in. Not a lot of head as you pour. Thin white patchy head and a nice glob of lacing that sticks to the side of the glass when you take a swig.

Smell: This is awesome, plenty of very fresh citrus hops with a little malt smell in the background. Some other exotic fruit smell I cant quite put a finger on.

Taste: A highly floral bitterness from the hops followed by a bit of sweetness. There is the obvious grapefruit citrus taste. I like this aside from most dipa's because it is not too sweet like a lot of other dipa's are.

Mouthfeel: Thick and lightly carbonated a bit syrupy nice feel to it.

Drinkability: This is a delicious beer but I would refrain from pounding like frat boy as it is a more of bitter dipa. This is more of a sipper.

nicnut45, Apr 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

This was my least favorite of the Three Floyds I've had. It's got a very nice citrusy aroma but the flavor doesn't hold up to other DIPAs I've had. Had a pretty malty flavor and mouthfeel, more than I'm looking for in this style. Still decent but not really my thing.

jfunkk79, Apr 05, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bomber, capped off our night of tasting Three Floyds beer, thanks to alleykatking. Vibrant hazed orange, thick head, nice lacing. There's really a lot going on with this beer. Yes, hops a' plenty in the nose and up front in the taste, fruity and floral, but there's a huge sweet malt character to this beer as well. It almost takes over for the hops, providing a sweet creaminess under the hops. Almost like vanilla ice cream. The flavors really battle each other here a bit, and I'm not sure if I could say this beer is well balanced, but it makes for an interesting brew, and a nice change next to the many super piney IPAs out there. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. A little hot perhaps, but this is a great beer. Unique for the style, and that's always a plus in my book.

twelvsies, Apr 05, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!

A hard pour into my pint glass failed to give me much of a head. The resulting thin head disappeared in less than a minute, leaving a white ring with sparse larger bubbles from the pour. Low carbonation. A hazy tangerine body shows itself from the unfiltered nature of this beer. I'm cool with that because I like yeast in my alcoholic treats.

There's a strong hop presence, but there's so much malt, it contributes a substantial sweetness to the aroma that I notice immediately. I also smell sweet oranges and tangerines combined with a bit of diacetyl.

Tastes pretty much as I smelled. Strong hops infusion with a buttery, fruity, high malt body. I like it, but I don't love it. This does all make for a silky smooth body though. I really enjoy the low carbonation and massive malt combination. This really glides right over my tongue.

I like this DIPA but I'm not excited about it. Maybe I'm just used to the San Diego Style DIPAs so readily available in Orange County. The mouthfeel of Dreadnaught is a feel I love on high gravity beers that are malt forward, but I think this beer would benefit from the crispness of higher carbonation. I see this beer as a good candidate for aging into a remarkable barleywine. Would I buy more if it were available? Perhaps. If you're a hophead though, it's one to add to the list.

kinnaird, Apr 03, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber into AB tulip. Thanks abbddull for the awesome trade!

Looks a hazy amber with a pencil-thin head that makes an exit as soon as the pour is complete. Smell is lovely, sweet carmel malt with just the right amount of citrus hops to let you know this is an IPA!
I love this beer's taste. It sports a perfect balance to it that eludes my humble discriptors. It's balanced but still has that hop kick to it that I adore. The alchohol is also hidden very well. So well in fact I'm having a hard time believeing this is a 9+%er(wasn't marked anywhere on the bottle). It's nice to try this, as I can compare it to nothing we get here out west(mabye a stretch would be double-dog...mabye)
Glad I sought this gem out and thanks again abbddull for getting this one off my wants-list!

ironlung, Apr 03, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a beautiful dark orange with golden hues and a huge frothy white head. Nice lacing. Good looking beer

S: Tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus and piney hops. This smells divine.

T/M: Excellent. Everything on the smell, with citrus flavors and piney hops prominent. This one shares characteristics with the Russian River Pliney's in that it's exceptionally well balanced and the bitterness on the finish is muted. Nothing worse than bitterness that just blows away everything.

D: Hides its alcohol extremely well. The lack of huge bitterness from finishing hops on the end also adds to the drinkability.

An amazing double IPA, up there with the RRBC Pliney, which had previously been my benchmarks. I can see why this one is widely acclaimed.

abfraser, Apr 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Love this beer. On tap @ FFF's. Pours medium-dark orange in color with a white head. Smells fruity/citrus with a good amount of hops. Right off the bat, you are hit over the head with that wonderful hoppy taste and a slight amount of citrus taste. Soooo fresh! Good mouthfeel, medium carbonation, very clean finish. This beer beats the crap out of your taste buds so 1 bomber or a couple of tulips towards the end of the night is a good idea.

Sean9689, Apr 03, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to keithricker for this one in a trade. I've been looking forward to trying this for a while.

Pours a slightly straw-y copper color with minimal head. The bubbles are very slowly climbing up the sides of the glass, which gives it a great effect. The lacing left is really nice.

The nose is of super citrus! Lots of mingling scents, including oranges, grapefruit, lemon/lime, pineapple, along with the regular, piney, hoppy aromas. Really nice smell.

The citrus that was in the nose is not nearly as evident in the taste (unfortunatly). There is some citrus, but it is mostly piney, bittery, hops. Has a decent hop backbone, and is drying in the finish. The drying aspect is the nicest part of the taste, IMO.

This beer is extremely bitter, so dont think that more than one bomber is a great idea, unless you dont want to be able to taste for a week.

mikecharley, Apr 02, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a bright copper color with a one inch fluffy white head that leaves just the right amount of lacing in the glass.

S: Very piney with a bit of a floral undertone. Smells very hoppy.

T: A bit more floral in the taste but still pretty piney.

M: Medium bodied with good amount of carbonation and hops. Leaves a nice hop oiliness in your mouth too.

D: Pretty good for a DIPA. I could get down a bomber very easily!

drgonzo3705, Apr 01, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

An absolutely beautiful Dark orange, or amber color with a big white fluffy head that stuck around for a short while.
Mango, orange and grapefruit dominate the aroma, with some alcohol and bready malt character filling in the rest.
Big and juicy. Lots of tropical fruit, mango, and ripe citrus mostly grapefruit but orange also makes an appearance. A little bready character fills in the holes and once again but to a lesser extent alcohol character is noticeable.
Excellent mouthfeel. Big, juicy and wet, with subtle dry finish from the hop. Great carbonation with an oily syrupy body.
All in all a fantastic beer. One of the best double IPA that I have had the opportunity to drench my tongue with.

alovesupreme, Apr 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Beautiful beer. Nice amber color with fluffy white head floaty on top. Strong scents of grapefruit/pineapple/pine coming off of this. The taste has quite a strong hop profile, dries the mouth out a bit. Wonderful grapefruit aftertaste, slight sweetness mid-profile. Surprisingly light mouthfeel for an almost 10% DIPA. Wonderfully drinkable. Awesome DIPA.

youngblood, Mar 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +5%

A= Great translucent amber color with a small head that is dense and leaves some spotty lacing. The head lasts throughout the entire drink surprisingly.
S= I can smell sweet hops from a ways away. A lot of grapefruit comes in. Smells like a sweet ripe Texas ruby red grapefruit. Some softer orange comes in as well but not as predominate.
T= Smooth grapefruit. Very nice soft hop taste. Not overly bitter but still has a nice bit to it. Just right. Possible small amounts of the pineapple you taste in some hops just because it's so sweet. Delicious
M= Low carbonation which I really enjoy with the style. All IPAs should have a low carbonation in my opinion it makes it so much smoother
D= Very high. This beer was great. I wish Minnesota got Three Floyds. Lives up to everything that I expected.

jjanega08, Mar 31, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

So, yeah, hey, I really liked this right off the bat. The color is a bit light (way light) and the head? What head? But it smells good and tastes good. Of course, then I thought about it for a couple of seconds. Right. Of course I like this right off - it tastes really familiar... Why, it's just like a Cascazilla! I ran down to the local store and grabbed one - to compare. So, here's the deal... The dreadnaught is like cascazilla with a little HSA thrown in (for a little more body and a bit of diacetyl). Well, and the color is a little lighter than the cascazilla, too.

Funny thing is that more of you have tasted this than the other so the comparison isn't going to mean squat to you. What it means to me is that this is pretty darned good, but. Yeah. But. I had the other first so I like it better so neener. Or, if you just upped the body on the casazilla, why, you could have just about the same beer (don't talk to me about 10 - that's got nothing to do with cascazilla or dreadnaught either, for that matter).

OK, enough editorializing, I suppose. Now about the beer... Well... Darn it - it's a weak and pale cascazilla (with more body)! Arg! I mean, seriously. It's good beer, but drinking side by side you really get the feeling it's the same beer only more flavor in the casca and more body (and diacetyl) in the dreadnaught.

So, um. In terms of a DIPA, yeah, it's pretty close to there. Could use some more body and siome more bitterness. Balance seems pretty good for where it is. It's a good beer. Nice and hoppy. Nice. Needs more to be excellent.

charlesw, Mar 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours incredibly clear, a nice amber color. This is only my second beer from FFF, both have been crystal clear.

Smell is really pine like. Wasn't too big on it at first but I began to warm up to it after a few sips.

Taste pretty much backs up the smell; very pine like, a bit of a grapefruit taste.

Pretty drinkable, the alcohol is well hidden.

Not a bad DIPA, but not my favorite. Glad I had it but probably a one time taste given what seems to be a bit expensive for this one.

jpalarchio, Mar 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2%

I finally got my hands on one of these thanks to my sister taking a recent trip to Chicago.

Pours pinkish orange with a light fizzy head. Smell is pure grapefruit.. maybe with a hint of pine needles. There's a strong flood of bitter hops and grapefruit right away which stays with you. Finish is bitter pine syrup. Alcohol (nearly 10%ABV) is hidden fairly well, and doesn't really stand out at all. Thick and creamy mouthfeel.

This isn't the hoppiest or most overwhelming IPA I've had, but it is extremely drinkable and very enjoyable. Excellent.

webmanspidey, Mar 27, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

22 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend at Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a very clear brownish orange color with a small amount of off-white head that dissipates quickly into a slight haze. The bubbles stick to the side of the glass on occasion. The ABV is a bit high on this one so maybe that affects the retention and lacing.

S: Now this is a hoppy aroma. I can not smell anything except hop aroma. Floral, citrus, and piney all mingled together in harmony. Absolutely wonderful aroma.

T: Based on the aroma, I expected an over the top bitter experience. However, just like the aroma, the mix of flavors is absolutely perfect. It is like a symphony of hop flavors in the mouth. The finish is really clean and not really bitter at all. A perfect example of using hops for flavor. The alcohol level does not come through in the flavor at all.

M: A unique experience for an IPA. It is very full bodied and thick compared to most others in the style. The carbonation makes it smooth and creamy as well.

D: It goes down pretty easily for such a high hopped and ABV beer. The alcohol is well hidden and the hoppy flavor is fantastic without being bitter.

I will be honest, I really did not want to like this beer this much. I think there prices on their beers are pretty high, and the limited distribution really is a pain in the ass. With that said, I have to give this beer its due. I think it is one of the best beers that I have ever had, certainly the best of the style that I have had.

GatorBeerNerd, Mar 24, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Got a bottle from Jeager. Thanks man.

Pours a nice amber color. No head but a little lacing.

Smell is awesome. I know this is a fresh one because it smells so great. Lots of pine and citrius and good caramel malt background.

Taste is wonderfull. Very close up there with Pliny the Elder but I still like elder. Still number 3 IPA I have ever had. So good. Lots of awesome hop flavor and bitterness. Great malt balance. Man I can't wait to trade for more of these.

Mouthfeel is a little more viscous than I would like it but I'm just being picky now.

Overall an awesome DIPA that I could drink all night if I found it on tap or could buy it here.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 22, 2009