Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,744
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to autumnaldave for knocking this want off my list!

Pours a hazy golden/orange color with a thin head that leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell is of sweet piney hops, nice floral aroma, strong citrus presence to this one.

Whoa, quite the kick to it right off the bat, seems like a cross between an IPA and a barleywine really, strong citrus hop taste melded with a sweet caramel malt and a slight fruitiness, can easily tell this is a strong beer though as it's a bit warming. The hop presence was also a bit weaker than I would imagine for this DIPA, might have faded since there's no way of telling with a lack of freshness date on the bottle.

deltatauhobbit, Feb 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

22 oz received in an awesome trade with jdoncbus .... shared with my trading partner .. huge thanks John. My part poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Big rocky 2 finger head ... sorta light yellow .. beautiful lacing .. brew is light hazy orange.

Aroma is big complex hops ... massive floral, citrus rind and a touch of pine... whaffs of toasted malt... smells amazing.

Not nearly as bitter as many West Coast DIPA's.. very balanced ... massively complex hop flavor appears in waves and finishes for minutes after a nice sip... I am assuming that this bottle is very fresh.. it is simply fantastic... good sweetness mid palate helps tie all the hoppiness together... big hop resins ... pine .. grapefruit .. and less floral notes than the aroma... again very very balanced.. light toasted malts and just touches of caramel. medium body and fairly light carbonation.

This is only the second time I've had the Dreadnaught ... this bottle just tastes alot fresher. John is a great trader and has a very nice taste for hoppiness... recommended beer and trader.

JohnGalt1, Feb 15, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this out of a bottle. It pours a reddish copper color with a small white head. Citrusy hops dominate the smell. The taste is also of citrusy hops, but is backed up by a fruity like malt sweetness. The bottle went down very easy, which is surprising given its strength. A good DIPA that I would recommend trying.

jwolfie70, Feb 12, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to WankerWeasel for brining this over to watch the superbowl.

a-- Thin head fades to nothing color was a rich gold to apricot

s-- Citrusy hops overwhelm sweet malt

t-- deep citrus hops and roasted malts a little brown sugar; the hops are sharp and hade some cedar like qualitys

m-- good mouth feel full -- the hops leave a little stikckyness in your mouth.

o -- Great beer, the bottle we sampled was a little old, I would like to try a fresh bottle, maybe I will pick one up at darklord day this year.

mully, Feb 11, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

The color is a dark orange, with a strong smell of citrus. Tastes as it smells; orange, grapefruit, with a very strong aspirin bitterness. Could have used maybe a tad more citrus compared to the bitterness, but that's nitpicking, isn't it? Overall, a first rate IPA (or is it double IPA?). Either way, it's drinkable as hell. Yeah, baby.

PhxHorn, Feb 11, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

From notes... Consumed at JP O'Malley's in Allentown, Pennsylvania on 03.10.06...

Brilliant orange in colour with a hint of a murky haze for good measure. White lace stuck well to the pint glass. Huge aromas of pine juice and citrus twistings. Some diacetyl noted for good measure. Surprisingly light on the palate, this one is oviously all about the hops The alcohol, while quite warming, is hidden well in all of the hops. The malt back bone plays a pleasant second fiddle. Well balanced and controlled. A fantastic brew, especially on a chilly fall day.

Zum wohl!

goindownsouth, Feb 10, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Sampled on 2-8-08

Pours a hazy orange color, with a clingy white head and thin, but sticky lacing.

Smell is all hops, grassy and citrus, with a subtle, smooth malt backing. There is a metallic twinge that I can't quite place.

Taste is big, sweet hops, with a pleasantly bitter finish. The malt, hops, and alcohol all join to form one of the most exquisitely crafted beers I've ever had. Smooth and sweet and bitter and boozy. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is dead-on, slick and creamy to help the hops.

Drinkability is fantastic for such a strong beer. Nothing sticks out as too intense.

Overall, wow. Highly recommended.

BMoney575, Feb 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

The crazy-hyped, vaunted, hyperbole-slathered Dreadnaught has a pretty weak head despite a good hard pour. Color is nice though, a subtly clouded copper/amber/orange that absolutely shimmers when held to light.

The aroma kicks things into high gear. Big sweet candylike hops lean far into piney territory. Has a nice malty pull underneath that keeps it from being one-dimensional. A lusty liqueur-like aroma emerges as it warms. There's a world to offer the nose, and I sat and took it in for a long while, but enough of the sniffing now, I cannot wait to drink this...

An incredible dose of pine dominates, with a hit of gritty sugar sweetness, cherry-flavored corn syrup, astringent grassy bitterness, and a lightly boozy sherry/cough medicine-like backup in the finish. This is huge, sweet and candylike, and may not feature the most tongue-ripping hops I've ever had and that's a compliment. The hoppiness is gargantuan but the beer is infused with enough different layers of flavors to keep it from being a mere novelty. (In this way, it reminds me of New Old Lompoc's C-Note.)

Mouthfeel is completely spot-on, just how I like a Double IPA to feel...thick, creamy, tingly, round...plenty of depth and weight but escaping any syrupy oppressiveness.

This is fantastic, but even if I could get a hold of this on a more regular basis, I'm not sure I'd do anything else but save it for those special and rare occasions. It's intense, so the drinkability isn't great, but still, it's a freakin' wonderful beer, and there's no way to call it anything but outstanding.

Metalmonk, Feb 07, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -17.9%

Ordered a bomber at The Farmhouse in Emmaus.

I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. This beer was just too balanced, it reminded me more of an imperial red like Southern Tier's Big Red. There's a good citrus and spicy hop element that lasts into the aftertaste, but the malt is too big in both the aroma and taste. There's also the distinct, almost toasty Three Floyds house character that's especially big in the aroma, which is nice, but is another element that is bigger than it should be in comparison to the hops. I'm not sure if I should commend this beer for its drinkability, but it went down fairly easily. I guess I was expecting more hop bite. Alas.

tempest, Feb 02, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a tulip. Almost no head. No lace left down the glass. Murky burnt orange color. Not much active carbonation.

I would expect more hops in the nose of a DIPA. Hops very subdued - more floral and mellow than many of the style. Fruity esters - smells of citrus.

Very balanced taste. Carmely malt backbone. Sweeter than most, but not in bad way. Citrus fruits are the first thing that comes to mind in regards to the hops. Very nice hops prescence that is not overpowering or bitter. Crisp clean slightly bitter aftertaste that doesn't linger on the palate too long. Alcohol not apparent in the taste, but warms the throat and chest.

Viscous thick and malty while in your mouth and leaves a oily, slick prescence after swallowing. Carbonation is low.

Very drinkable for the alcohol content. A really big beer, but it leaves me wanting more.

An exceptional and unique DIPA. More malt and less hops than most beers of the style. Hops have a nice strong citrusy prescence without being extremely bitter.

elmore, Feb 01, 2008

Appearance - Extremely hazy burnt orange; it's very nearly opaque. The off-white head has great retention.

Smell - Grapefruit, peach, caramel apple. Gentle floral and citrus hops. Sweeter and fruitier than most DIPAs, but still pleasantly aromatic.

Taste - Evenly balanced between malts and hops. Very fruity; notes of peach, grapefruit and pineapple. Sweet, biscuity malts provide a strong backbone for the floral, slightly resiny hop flavor. A large dose of bittering hops come out in the finish, balancing (but not overpowering) the fruity sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, creamy and surprisingly gentle; soft and bubbly on the tongue.

Notes - Really nice stuff, though I prefer the drier character of West Coast IPAs. Thanks to hrking for the chance to try this.

largadeer, Jan 25, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Holy smoke!!!!

First off my bottle sat in my beer fridge for a while so the first pour was a bit clearer than advertised. gorgeous copper-amber with a light ivory head that faded to a slight laceing.

very complex aroma, peaches,tart apples, cherry kool-aide, orange juice, ruby port, floral aroma of lillies. and a booziness that is reminecent of brandy. maybe a bit of arope jam.(a grape must and pumpkin jam from spain). Every sniff gives a juicy bag that changes.

The Fruit bomb continues with each sip. The aroma took so much of my time that it warmed to a proper temp. back to the flavors; cherry medicine, mixed with sweet biscuity with a corn syrup grind that works well with the fruit to give authenticity. grape fruit juice with out pith. also floral notes that lend major nods to rose. slight raisen and maderia hang twards the end before the chewiness take hold. Perhaps a ravage of age on this bottle(approx 9 mo.old.)

Sweet sugary mouthfeel held in check by fruit esther and hop resin pleasant chew.

This is the most interestin and challenging IPA i have ever had. even at the high ABV. i found it so dynamic and fun that I can't wait to find another.

Big Thanks to Todd1 for the best beer trade through BA I have ever had!!!!

chefboy812, Jan 22, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

1/17/2008

Thanks younger35 for passing me a bottle.

Aroma is so refreshing. Tons of citrus and floral hops and caramel attacking the nose. This beer was sweeter than I expected. I needed that extra sweetness to make the hop bitterness acceptable. Sweetness and bitterness manages to balance pretty well.

There is a stickiness on the lips. Mouthfeel manages to be a bit creamy. There was a little carbonation dance on the tongue.
I enjoyed this beer and look forward to trying it again it a little later.

LittleBreeze, Jan 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Starting with the appearance I see a nice cloudy light orange color with a nice white head that is evident at the end of the glass and the lacing is beautiful down the glass. Aromas are a great sweet fruity citrus hops. Taste is much of the same as the hops hit you with a nice juicy orange/Peach flavor and a great sweet malty backbone. mouthfeel is creamy with a touch of alchohol burn to be expected in a beer of this style. I would love if this was available in my area, as I would have only one of these in a sitting, I would always have one in the fridge waiting for me.

mnstorm99, Jan 17, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -27.6%

a: This beer is a somewhat hazy golden color. It pours with a medium white head, lots of lace.

s: Very nice hop aroma, but there is too much sweetness that is almost cloying.

d: I was afraid of this. There is an over the top maple syrup/ sugariness that I just can't get past. Underneath all that, There is some nice piny hop dying to get out.

m: Not bad overall, but the sweet assault leaves an unpleasant residual, need to clear my throat sensation.

d: It just isn't for me.

DIM, Jan 17, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

22 oz bomber
Pours a slightly hazy amber / gold with a fuzzy white head that settles quickly.
This beer smells delicious. Sweet oranges, sour grapefruits, and a boatload of piney / floral hops. A touch of alcohol peeks in from behind.
Huh, tastes nothing like it smells. Weird. Just kidding. Tons upon tons of citrus fruits and hops are piled on my taste buds yet it is not overly bitter. The weight of the alcohol in this one transforms it into an extremely thick, full, and chewy brew.
This beer is impressive. I'm buzzin' right now and want to relax and enjoy the rest of this tasty treat, so I'll cut to the chase. F*ckin Great!

Slynger, Jan 07, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Into my Duvel glass, pours an opaquish orange, a nice half inch white head forms for a bit, the lacing coming thick but don't stick for the most part, just slide down until it warms, then sticks. A good swirl brings back the head right back, all smooth and gentle like. The nose isn't quite as potent as you'd expect from an IIPA, but that doesn't stop it from being lovely. There is a bunch of hops, a resinous load of hop oil with citrus and gooey caramel.

The taste is much more massive, a truckload of hops crashed into this beer. It comes in thick oils, citrus and fruits, sweet divine and warm but bitter and on the verge of out of control. It sweetens but with a burst of malts and ends with a bittering streak. The mouth is pretty full, pucking a lot from the bitterness, slightly warm, but not well enough carbonated. In all, a very tasty beer, but still hasn't lived up to the legend and hype for me.

objectivemonkey, Jan 07, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Thick off white 2 finger head. The beer itself is a browish/red(amber)
S:Very bisquity right away that gives way to a little grapefrui and orange. Also a bit of caramel in there.
T:Big citrus grapefruity hops on the back. Sweet caramel mixed in with roasted malrs. The sweetness lingers.
M:Big thick and syrupy makes it very mouth pleasing
D: Everything comes togethor perfect in this beer. The malts and the hops pull you both ways. Awesome!

Scoobydank, Jan 04, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -2%

22 oz. bottle in a snifter.

A - Nice cloudy caramel brown color with a slight hint of orange. Thin layer of white head that fades fast.

S - Sweet piney hops smell.

T - Sweet flavor. There is a little hop taste until the finish where the aftertaste kicks in. There is a lot of hops in the finish. Good malt flavor comes out also.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. This is a really smooth IPA. Great flavor with out the total bitterness that most IPA's have.

jeffmonarch, Jan 04, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

No freshness info, bottle was purchased on Dark Lord Day in April of 2007.

a: Cloudy orange body with a thin white head and no lacing.

s: Remarkable aroma of hop oil, pine and citrus.
A truly wonderful smell.

t: Caramel malt briefly makes an appearance before a wave of delicious hops engulfs the tongue. Excellent flavors of pine, citrus, and grain. Though this beer exhibits a remarkable hop flavor, the bitterness is not too high. Could be a result of it's modest aging in my closet, just couldn't bring myself to drink my only bottle.

m: Light carbonation, creamy texture, smooth finish.

d: Ok, I'm a huge fan of 3 Floyds, they run a great brewery, they pay remarkable attention to the quality of their product, they make exquisite beer, and I love the collection of outside beers they have available at the brewery. That being said, the selfish side of me is dying for them to expand so I can get more of their beer. Its just not fair!

Needless to say, I think this is a great beer. I could drink it all night if I could get my hands on enough of it.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 02, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Split a bomber of this with a buddy into our Duvel tulips. Slightly hazy orange color with a negligible head, though it left lovely froth on top that looked like cirrus clouds and had decent lacing. My oh my, this smelled delicious! Hops, hops, hops, of course, but also plenty of citrusy notes. Lemon, orange, grapefruit. Notes of pine and alcohol, too. Wow! The smell hit me as soon as I popped the cap. Tasted like a hop sensation. It's been a while since I've had a hoppy brew and this reminded me of how much I love them. Both deliciously sweet and harshly bitter at the same time. I love it. Nice and full body, without being overly thick. I will definitely get one of these the next time I need a hop fix.

atrus138, Jan 01, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with no distinguishable head.

Smells very good, Great floral arouma of citruis hops and good malt balance.

Taste is the style standard. Pungant hops delivered with perfect malt balance. Does not have to pucker effect that most IIPAs have. Just invites another drink.

Feels great. Slick not syrupy. Taste lingers just enough to invite more sips.

I am a big fan of the IIPAs and this is about as good as it can get. Where some are good but challanging to drink because of the amount of hops, this nails it. More than a IPA, but not obnoixious. Very, very good.

Homerbag, Dec 31, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Taken from notes over the summer.

This 2IPA was WELL worth the $12 price tag.

It pours an orange cloudy haze with little to no head which I poured into a standard pint glass.

There is citrus to be had everywhere and a bushel of hops... and it doesn't let up all. Fruit notes assaulting you like an orge. Grapefruit, orange, more grapefruit. Unbelievably hoppy! A nice scent of floral hops.

It was a hot day and I enjoyed this with a Cuban Montecristo on my brother-in-laws back porch. Now, there's a full evening, my friends.

If you're a fan of IPA's... you need to seek this one out. It was the perfect compliment to a perfect summer eve.

rudylaw, Dec 31, 2007

This is the king of IIPAs. Hands down, no questions asked.

Pours a super hazy orange, not much of a head but no matter....

This thing assaulted me with its citrusy hop aroma 2 seconds after I cracked it open. Unbelievably citrusy aroma, pineapple or peach or something.

This is just over the top hoppiness here and I love it. Juicy citrusy hop flavor all the way. You know what you're getting when you open this and it doesn't disappoint.

Fabulous all the way around here. Too bad I didn't get a case. Got 5 left and was thinking about trading some but not sure I can get rid of this.

Tilley4, Dec 29, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

22 oz bomber

A: Deep orange/copper color with about 1 finger of creamy white head. Head doesn't stay all that long, but long enough to look good in the glass. There is a slight haze to the beer.

S: Soft hops. Flowery/piney hops aroma is very pleasant and not overpowering. Also, there is a backbone of malt aroma. Very complex and inviting.

T: Wow! Perfect amount of maltiness and hoppiness. Starts out sweet and fruity and finishes very clean and citrusy. Not overly bitter like some DIPAs. The lingering taste reminds me of grapefruits. Complex and wonderful. Again, wow!

M: Great body and mouthfeel. Full but not syrupy. Carbonation is balanced.

D: I could definitely have a couple more.

Overall, probably the best D/IPA I've tasted. Pick one up if you can.

FatheadBrew, Dec 27, 2007