Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,848
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,377 | Reviews: 1,681
4.5/5  rDev +2%

On tap @ the FFF Brewpub on 8/7/09. This was a 10 oz or so pour in a 1/2 pint glass.

Pours a beautiful clear amber, with a 1/2 finger of brite-white looking head. Retains with just the softest and creamiest look to it, that just DRENCHES the sides of the glass with super rich lacing. Such a delicate look for a such a monsterous beer. The aroma is hugely floral and piney, and just drips with lush tropical fruit notes of grapefruit, mango, and apricot. Caramel and bready malts give this a tangy edge in the nose, but man, this bouquet is all about the HOPS! Just exquisite.

The taste is quite resinous, with a sticky bitterness that hangs in the mouth, before giving way to a steady and long lingering spiciness. The hop profile is very aggressive but is still so very well balanced by toasted toffee and that same fantastic blast of tropical citrus. Finishes spicy, with a lingering warmth to it. The mouthfeel is medium-fuller bodied, with a more bubbly carbonation on top, and then a very oily feeling slickness underneath that keeps this moving nicely. There is some rich warmth to the body but this is drinking VERY nicely for the size of the ABV that is involved here.

This is just a classic from FFF that never gets old, no matter how many times I've had it. Huge, yet well balanced flavors, and a super slick body keep this hop-monster very drinkable. This was such a treat to enjoy on tap at the brewery.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared at approx 45 degrees
Thanks to tburkhart for this one!

This one pours a mildly dark, golden amber color. About three-fingers of frothy, white foam make the head. This recedes to a nice covering that sits atop the golden amber liquid. The lacing is very good and very sticky.

A nice, big, hop presence in the nose. Big citrus smells, heavy on pineapple, mango, peach and grapefruit. Nice floral and pine notes. This is all balanced out by a wonderful presence of caramel malts. Notes of golden brown sugar. A nice breadiness.

This is a fairly well-balanced IIPA. I expected the hops to be more dominant from the nose. They are definitely here and bring with them all of their bitter glory. They are mingling with a nice, strong, maltiness though. Big citrus notes and piney bitterness mix with some brown sugar notes and mild caramel sweetness.
I'm not a hophead but I'm learning to love IIPA/DIPA's and this one would certainly be in my top 10 for the style.

Nicely full bodied, with a slight touch of thickness. Good medium level of carbonation, which is almost perfect. Very smooth with a nice, light touch of creaminess that keeps it interesting.

At 9.50%abv, I'd imagine that it would be hard to drink alot of this and remain standing. As the alcohol is very well hidden within the flavor though, I find it very easy to drink, in general.
I'd like to have more, please.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

This poured a hazy light copper with some off-white head. It smelled like mango and apricot hops, with sweet caramel and honey malt. It tasted like mango and apricot and copper hops, with lots of caramel and some roasted barley malt. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very tasty beer that was clean and balanced. However, the hops seemed a bit faded, which was very disappointing. I enjoyed the malt flavor, but I was hoping for stronger and juicier hops. It still had great body, and it hid the alcohol well, so it was very easy to drink. A generally great beer, but it still didn't live up to the hype. There are definitely better 2IPAs out there.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into Founders Pint Glass

Pours 1 and 1/2 fingers of creamy beige head. Great retention with amazing lace wall.s Color is a hazy pale orange sunset.

Aroma: Huge floral hop aroma, caramel malts, with an intense amount of grapefruit, mango, and sweet peaches.

Taste: Very sweet taste. Mango, peaches, and grapefruit citrus are up front with a floral taste. In the end comes a rush of caramel malts. It is pretty sweet for a IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Big hop bite, very bitter. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Ends with a big floral aftertaste, only slightly dry which is nice considering it as an iipa.

Overall, this is a really well developed iipa. I will only have 1 pour of this, but it is a great beer. I'd easily get more of this.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well here it is "the Dreadnaught". I've been dreaming of sampling this one. It pours a muddy orange amber. A moderate head resides on top of my pint glass. A thick coating of lace covers my glass.. The aroma is like an ocean of hops. So piney and sour smelling. It's an amazing boquet of sour fruit and hop cones. The flavor is huge. A blast of pine and sour then malt smoothness with a touch of alcohol on the finish. This seems like a perfect balance of hop bomb and smooth malt. The medium body with plenty of carbonation to round it out. The high abv is there but fits nicely and makes me feel warm and fuzzy. This is my first IIPA and I must say I'm really starting to enjoy becoming a hop head.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

22oz. Second time trying this delight - first time was a couple of years ago and I was fairly unfamiliar with the style. Pours a bright tangerine-amber color with a relatively thin head with some nice sticky lacing. Aromas are of fresh, sweet pineapple, grapefruit, and orange with a great floral bouquet of hops with a hint of honey. Tastes are bitter up-front, but also sweet with a malty presence. Grapefruit and orange rind with some citric hops and a pleasant piny finish. Some hints of caramel from the malts, but remains bitter on the finish. Mouth-feel is medium bodied with some hop oils that cover the palate nicely. Alcohol is very well concealed. Excellent offering from 3F and I am very satisfied with finally getting a chance to re-try this great IIPA. Solid representation for the style.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Pours as a hazy copper with the haze settling halfway through. A two finger, off-white head. Aroma is an awesome hops/citrus bomb. Flavor? Wow, I'm surprised, not the overwhelming hop bitterness that the aroma led me to expect. Nice malty sweetness to balance the hops. Grapefruit and something sweet that I can't put my finger on. Feel is a little heavy/oily, pretty thick for this type of beer. Drinkability? I want more, but because of the ABV, I'll have to stick with the bomber I just finished. I have to admit that I've never been a big fan of IPA's, but damn, I've had some great ones in the last two months and I'm becoming a fan.

pours a little cloudy amber golden orange with a big 2+ finger head that left lacing all down the glass

smells of tropical fruits and some sweet carmel malts

taste is much the same - this beer reminds me of sculpin or hop stoopid which has a high tropical fruit hop flovor and a good balance of malt backbone

mouthfeel is good with just enough of carbonation to make this medium to light beer go down smooth

drinkability is good even at the high abv - but at the 9-12 price i would stick to hop stoopid

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Got two bombers of this great brew from BitterPachyderm. Thanks again, Mason, for your generosity. Enjoyed in a sniffer.

Appearance is lightly hazed amber notes with a tiny bubbly off-white head that leaves decent lacing. Aromas are of strong toasted caramel and bready malt. Hop aromas are grapefruit to boot. Flavors are similar, with the hop profile coming on strong, but there is definitely balance in this DIPA. Raisin are playing a big role here, too. Bitterness is high here! Medium syrupy mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation. I can sip on this beer all afternoon! I feel like I've said that about FFF beers before...

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Presentation: 22oz bottle into a snifter. No bottling or best by date.
Big thanks to "beveritt" for procuring this out of state gem for me.

A- Very hazy amber/orange. Pours with 1+ fingers of off white head, which to a sparse, thin, oily cap. Leaves ample lacing as consumed.

S- Grapefruit and pine resin hopiness. Quite sweet, malty notes eek their way in through the avalanche of hop.

T- Very assertive pine/citrus hop bitterness on the first sip. Rush of caramel malt notes follow to provide balance. Bitterness level is high. Alcohol content is well blended.

M- Moderate carbonation. Full feel, creamy, and goes down easy. Fair amount of residual hop oiliness. Exceptional.

D- Good. 9.5% ABV, probably would want to restrict myself to a single bomber of this stuff.

Future outlook: Really good, ....close enough to get without an extreme amount of effort, but not distributed here....so don't know if I'll have it again anytime soon.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Split this with a friend the other night whilst watching TV. Poured a hazy, golden color with white head that faded slowly and left good lacing. Smelled of floral/citrus hops and fruit. Tasted the same, balanced very well with malt. Smooth, yet slightly dry and bitter finish. Packs a punch, but I could have had another one.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Paid a pretty hefty price for this one. It better be worth it!

Pours a darker gold orange color with one finger head that quickly reduces to a ring around the side of the glass. Very subtle lacing.

Big sweet citrus hops with sweet ripe pineapple. Some sweet roasted malt, maybe a bit of mango. Very sweet and juicy smelling.

Nice juicy hops not biting or tiring in any way. Tastes like there is pineapple juice mixed in. Some pine from the hops, nice malt presence to keep some balance.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, medium bodied. Carbonation is soft and velvety smooth.

Quite drinkable at this ABV. Alcohol is tasted a bit, but felt a little more. Very clean finish. A well done DIPA. In my top 10, possibly top 5 for DIPA's. That said, still not worth the high price point (see Hop Stoopid or BR Racer 5).

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Received a bottle from VandenBossche last week.

Pours a hazy orange/yellow hue (not cloudy), with a nice fluffy head. The head looks like dish soap with small oily bubbles. Nice carbonation too.

Smells of fresh tropical fruit and citrus. Light floral smell. Just a hint of alcohol.

I can taste mongo, pineapple, and tons of fresh hops. Not bitter at all. Theres some malt in there but not much. If there was a liquid tropical starbusrt candy, this is what it would taste like.

The mouthfeel is slightly oily, and full bodied. Crisp lipsmacking finish.

This is a great imperial ipa. Wasn't tough to finish the bomber by myself. The alcohol was a little more evident than I would have liked it to be, but definitely not a distraction. I will definitely pick this up if I come across it!

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Greg and his brother, who brought down a bottle of Dreadnaught for us to try.

It pours a mostly clear copper color, with a couple of chunky bits of sediment. Not much head to speak of, but a really pretty body.

The smell is a citrus bomb -- orange, lemon, nectarine. Taste is more on the pit fruit side. I can pick up some apricot and peach going on here. Very cool. A ton of malty backbone to balance the taste out. Thick and resinous swallow. This is a really nice double IPA. Thanks!

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz's into a pint glass and then some.

A- Dread had a pale/straw yellow color with golden spots. When the glass was full, there was no bubbles on top, then some white foam appeared making a skim with warming, it never left. A ring of lace around the glass. Small patterns of lace.

S- Big citrus, mango, pineapple, peaches, oranges, fresh as can be. And of course a nice sweet malt backing that comes up with warming. The best of both worlds.

T- Yes, this delivers. Getting a basket of tropical fruits like the ones above. Grapefruit and oranges are dominate. Caramel malt after the initial blast, but very well balanced. Some forrest pine also giving a distinct bitterness, very nice.

M- Hoppy, bitter, tasty and sweet all at the same time, dread has somewhat of a oily feel from a medium feel. This one is nicely carbed. Became more bitter as time passed.

D- It took me sometime to get through it, bit dread never lost it's pizazz, this is well put together. Very easy to sip on or indulge more quickly, I was somewhere in between. The 9.5 is high and rightfully so with this much flavor & the bitterness is is just right, not a burn out. I really enjoyed this.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.
It pours a clear orangy gold with a very carbonated white head and very good lacing.
It smells wonderful, hints of citrus, hops and a surprising peach comes through.
After the great start, the taste wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It was very fruity so I was expecting to taste a little of that, instead I really just tasted coriander and hops. I think overall its very good for an IPA, but I was slightly put off because it didn't taste like I thought it should have.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We were able to get our hands on this at the Rotten Apple in Grafton, it was a nice cap to a great Sunday afternoon.

Amazing golden yellow color. Got a big whiff of citrus hops as itw as poured so I knew it was going to be good. I big hop bite right away but not harsh. Definite citrus with a subtle underlying sweetness. Just the right amount. This beer is worth seeking out for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

This is my first encounter with a Three Floyds beer and it's pretty great. It's a big, sweet, citrusy/floral DIPA with good hop resin bite. The beer pours a deep gold with little head but lots of lacing. The smell is thick with clementines, limes and floral hops. The flavor is similarly great. The hop flavor is very strong nearly to the point of having a solvent character. The malt is still quite sweet adding an excellent caramel character. The hops taste strongly of oranges, sweet and citric. The defining characteristic with DIPAs for me is the bitterness level and Dreadnaught is within the optimum range for me. The mouthfeel is oily and thick without being cloying. The drinkability is very high despite the fairly high alcohol level.

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a great DIPA. Competes with the best.

Fruity, pungent hops on the nose. Smell is excellent, full, rich citrus and piney goodness. Tropical smells there too.

Fruity, citrus dominated hops on the taste buds, Pine and tropical flavors mix in as well. Everything proportioned right, jumping all over the place just like it should on the tongue.
Malts balance things just perfectly without unseating King Hop, who is clearly in charge. Just so well done, so intense, every flavor just where it should be.

Full mouthfeel, perfect compliment to the flavor, lingers on the tongue, just enough. Next sip hard to delay.

But...it's terribly overpriced. Equivalent of 26 bucks for a 4 pack, or 40 for a sixer. This isn't a fancy barrel aged limited release, special ingredient deal. There are several other high ABV IPAs almost as good that completely destroy Dreadnaught on price.

And start dating your bottles.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

bought a bomber of this and it poured a peach orange color with a nice retaining head and sticky lacing the smell was grapefruit and mango and hops and sweet caramel malt... b4 my first sip i already knew it was going to be outstanding i could smell it 2 feet away from me... yep the grapefruit and mango explode in your mouth and nose the hops hit your tongue your mouth puckers you just want another sip fast wow!! the taste is outstanding..its a perfectly balanced dipa that is so well balanced i cant believe its 9.5 abv ..you taste no alcohol just a perfect hop/malt creation of goodness.. this one ranks up their with double trouble, pliney, hop stoopid and hopslam as the best a dipa can be.. only drawback is you drink it to fast and its very pricey.. however it is a must try highly recommended and will drink this anytime anywhere..oh crap my bomber is gone ..

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Since FFF is not distributed in OH, I was thrilled to find this when I drove to IN to pick up some brews.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I had only heard the hype, and that it was loosely compared to Hop Slam.

Poured a wonderful orangey-gold color. Nice thick head with great lacing.

The aromas from the hops come through nicely. There's also a sweetness that I can't identify. Maybe my palate isn't trained enough.

Tastes WONDERFUL. Lives up to the hype. I understand the loose comparison to Hop Slam. It's very hoppy, yet has a nice honey-ish sweetness to it. The Hop Slam was good, but not something I'd look for necessarily. The Dreadnaught was balanced well enough that I'll make the 45 minute drive to Indiana to buy it again. Hoppy, smooth, sweet, nice body, and all at once.

It's definitely not a thin beer, but not heavy, either. In fact, I wanted to swirl my individual pint glasses once I got it half empty to mix the yeast and such back in. Nice pronounced lacing with a decently thick head.

I not only could drink several of these, but my wife (who will taste all of my beers, but not drink any of them) asked about getting some more so she could have some for herself. Normally, she's a Woodchuck drinker, with an occasional Shiner Bock (she grew up in TX).

This beer surprised me with the sweetness, but I will definitely drive the 45 minutes to Indiana to buy it again.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a Super hazy as fuck orange gold. The off white head is frothy, creamy and smooth. Aroma is fairly hoppy with a nice hint of peach. There is a tad bit of pine and lots of citrus. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden. This is similar to many other awesome IPAs that i have had except for the slight hint of peach/apricot flavor. Feel is tingly from the carbonation and slightly oily. Super drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bomber into my caracole snifter

A - Honey in color with a thin head that leaves some nice lacing. Mostly clear, particularly as it warms.

S - Strong citrus notes, orange and grapefruit. Some pineapple notes. Strong piney finish with a well balanced hop presence.

M - Thick, creamy, syrupy and unbelievably smooth. Subtle carbonation that is just about perfect.

T - Alot like the nose, citrusy and piney with a well balanced maltiness that lingers in the throat. Alcohol is well hidden and even as it warms, it stays that way. Some bitterness but that's to be expected with this style and it's perfect.

D - I had no problem finishing the bomber, but it did leave me with a considerable buzz. Of course, this isn't a session beer and I'm not quite sure how to rate it's drinkability given the style, but I suppose I'll base it off the ease of finishing the bomber.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

What a looker. I can almost taste this one just looking at it. The color is a glowing orange with a little bit of haze. It looks like freshly squeezed fruit juice of some kind. The head is huge and fluffy and the lacing is insane. After a few minutes the head dissapears but you'd barely know it from viewing it from the side because of all the lacing stuck on it.

I could smell this from at least a foot away when I popped it. Huge on the citrus hops with a splash of pine. There's a nice sweetness to it like a grapefruit with sugar on it.

Delectable. Tastes just like it smells. Loads and loads of grapefruit, pineapple, and orange with a resinous follow up. The malt is spot on to add a touch of sweetness to offset the bitterness, which is also spot on.

The mouthfeel is creamy, chewy, and clean. It has a very fresh feel that screams quality. Carbonation is light but cuts the body well. There's a slight astringency but it mellows as it warms.

This is delicious but a palate bruiser. One of the better tasting DIPAs out there but because of the huge bitter bashing the toungue takes one bomber and I'm saying no mas.

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a very orange hued amber color with a nice firm, bright white head that slowly dissipates. Moderate visible carbonation.

Well all be ding dong. Huge whiff of freshly peeled orange on the first smell. The second round provides a solid push of sweetened pine resin, i am talking seriously strong pine. A touch of sweet caramelized malt at the end of the spectrum makes this far and out one of the best smelling brews I have had the opportunity to put my nose up to.

The taste is chock full of super fresh grapefruit pith and (like in the nose) freshly peeled orange. A (I can't explain it either) strong but mild pine presence makes itself known right off the bat. The malt backbone is there, but it is hard to grasp after the aggressive hop assault on the tongue. Amazing, simply amazing. Almost no hint of the 9.5%. Almost perfection.

The mouthfeel is on frickin point. Ample carbonation and very slick on the tongue, nothing I can complain about. At all.

One of the best brews I have had to date. Hands down. I would be drunk and living on the streets if this was available in Minnesota.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.