Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,740
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this baby up recently at Stateline in MD for $8.99. What an absolutely delicious, mouth-watering DIPA! Pours a bright amber-orange color. Produces a thin, 1/4" head which fades to a thin wispy coating. Beautiful, rich, sweet fruity aromas of oranges, pineapple, grapefruit, peach, pine needles and caramel fill the nose. The hop aroma profile in this beer is simply incredible. Mouthfeel is moderately full, but silky smooth and a perfect subdued carbonation level. The flavor would in my estimation be pretty tough to surpass. Perfect balance here between the hops and malt. Starts sweet with notes of caramel candy, toasted malts, and apricot. The hops then kick in with avengence showing off flavors of pink grapefruit, orange, pine resin, flowers and herbs. Finishes with a stout, assertive hop bitterness which is followed by a mild alcoholic warmth. Just a beautiful, classy brew.

macster, Aug 15, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours bright amber. Nice white head, smooth carbonation but not too much to impart an acidic flavor. Aroma gives off the freshest hop odor you'll get this side of Dogfish Head. Slightly grassy, like many IPAs, but in addition strong pungent, sweet, oily hop aromas abound. The flavor carries a fantastic blend of floral hop tastes, with sour apple, grapefruit, and sweet citrus at the forefront. Yes, many beers carry these hop flavors, but the Dreadnaught manages to make them taste FRESH. Almost no alcohol phenols present, and though there is a great sweetness to this beer, it is not presented as a malty heaviness. Overall, this is a fantastic double ipa that emphasizes the beauty of hops without simply delivering grassy bitterness over strong malts.

Beauregard, Aug 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into glass a hazy orange/copper/amber color. Head disappeared to nothing in no time.

Aroma is all hops. Some citrus, some pine, and some spiciness, too.

Flavor is all hops up front, then gives way to a nice maltiness, finishing with a lingering bitterness. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is full.

Overall, pretty damn tasty.

stodbrew, Aug 09, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Thank you kmudrick for bringing this up from Beeryard in PA. Soon after arrival, it became a contestant in a blind dipa tasting. The other double ipas tasted: Dogfish Head 90 min, Stoudt’s Double IPA and Lagunitas Shutdown (the double ipas I happen to have on hand). Though it did not win in all five categories (DFH won appearance, Dreadnaught won smell and taste, Stoudt’s won mouthfeel & drinkablity) it did come out on top overall, with Stoudt’s a close second.

Anyway, what more can be said about a beer that has been reviewed 381 times? Though hopheads will certainly have a mouthgasm with each sip, it is not an over-the-top “extreme” beer that forgets about the art of balance. Bitterness is smoothed, as is the alcohol. It would probably be more drinkable if it wasn’t so expensive. If you’re lucky enough to come across this, however, spend the money. You won’t regret it.

bwyker, Aug 08, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy dark golden color, nice carbonation, nice creamy tan head, lots of lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet hops, slight spices, maybe a touch of caramel.

T - Awesome sweet hoppy flavor.

M - Medium body.

D - Very drinkable. Man this is an awesome DIPA, probably my best so far. Thanks goes out to ybnrml for the trade.

Wasatch, Aug 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Beautiful amber color, crystal clear and almost sparkles in the glass. Head wasn’t that big to start with. Solid white half inch that reduced to scattered layer of bubbles on the top.

Intense aroma with a little bit of everything mixed in. Lots of citrus, grapefruit and tangerine, is immediately noticeable with a nice pine backbone and some floral notes as well. Some slight hints of alcohol are evident but not overpowering and works with the sweetness. This is not a subtle brew.

Lots of bitterness in this one, no doubt about the DIPA moniker. A citrus and pine sap hop mixture form most of this beer. Resinous towards the finish. The pine starts it out with some tangerine again. The bitter finish has more grapefruit. Alcohol twang is evident. Not much malts there, but some caramel sweetness is evident. I like this one, but not my favorite hop flavor profile. I’ve had other DIPAs that I find similar, so nothing too unique for me. Good nonetheless.

Near perfect mouthfeel for me. Just heavy enough to coat the mouth and the flavor really lingers. The Weyerbacher Double Simcoe was way too heavy for me, but this one is full bodied w/o being over the top. A bit more carbonation would make this perfect.

Good drinkability. Lots of good traits in this beer, but like I mentioned, not my favorite hop profile. This every now and then in a 12oz would be perfect.

blitz134, Aug 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -2%

I'm not a DIPA person but I like this beer. I have been trying to find out what it is about the DIPA that attracts so many. I have to say first off that I prefer doppelbock, hefeweizen, quads & stouts. I knew there was a reason people called themselves hopheads and I was going to find out why. I've tried a number of DIPA's like Ruination etc., but have been put off by the lengthy bitterness at the end of each drink. I can understand that some drinkers will like that bitterness but it would have to be a studied, acquired taste for me.
A - a nice creamy head that soon dissapated. The orangish, amber, hazy color was quite nice.

S - The hops flew up to your nose before you ever lean over to take a whiff and it too, was intense and invigorating. This is what hops is supposed to smell like, I think. The grapefruit smell is quite nice.

T - Again, the hops is intense like the smell and there is the grapefruit. I also get a taste of the alcohol but not in anyway overwhelmingly. For me there is the slight bitterness that I'm not fond of yet but it didn't turn me off at all. It all felt very balanced and slightly complex as you moved from one taste to another.

M - This was the best part for me with this beer. I can see how the taste of the hops can be addictive as it coats your tongue, palate and the back of your throat and hangs on for a long time as it becomes a more oily, sweet, malt taste as well. When I finished the bottle I kept sucking at the back of my tongue for this lingering flavor.

D - I could drink a couple of these quite happily but would be pretty wobbly considering I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol consumption.

If anyone can recommend another DIPA that is so nicely balanced between the hops & malt while not being overly bitter I would like to give that one a try.

For $9 it seemed pricey for a 22 oz. bottle at first but really not bad considering what you receive in the quality of it's impressive character.

meatyard, Jul 26, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours with a nice head and good carbonation. Just right. The smell is of citrus and stone fruits, while the taste is fruity up front followed by a long, long, long hop beautiful hop tastes followed a lasting astringent (but pleasant) bitterness. The malts are well integrated, but dominated by the hops. The mouthfeel is a tad sticky, but still relatively dry. For me, this is a great beer that is eminently drinkable.

Georgiabeer, Jul 23, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: Pretty, peachy, clear orange-autumn-amber. Bone-colored head is decent in size with fair retention.

Smell: Bold, bright, hop blitzkrieg up front, running the gamut from floral to piney to peppery and herbal, but mostly citric, with lemon and oroblanco notes. Malts add a light caramel sweetness with a drop of honey.

Taste: Well, it's good, but it certainly isn't the hop apocalypse I was expecting considering this is rated the top DIPA and the fourth-best beer in the world. It's just as heavy on the malts as it is on the hops, with a strong sugary side that almost reminds me of cough syrup. Alcohol is poorly hidden, adding a boozy rum character. Hops are pleasantly herbal, woody, and sweetly resinous (not as citric as the nose let on), and the malts turn nutty and toasty towards the end. Finish is boozy and bitter with a citrus pith tone.

Mouthfeel: Extremely syrupy and heavy on the palate. Carbonation does little to lighten things up or add any kind of airy chewability. Alcohol becomes slightly numbing towards the end of the bomber.

Drinkability: What's all the fuss? In my opinion, this is extreme in all the wrong places. The malts and alcohol land with a thud on the tongue, nearly crushing the hops, which are barely bright enough to stand up to the sweetness. That's not to say it isn't a moderately tasty and interesting beer, but for $9 a bomber I don't think I'll ever drink it again, unless you're buying.

soulgrowl, Jul 20, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Very cloudy, almost murky, but vibrant burnt orange with a very small, slightly off-white, creamy head that quickly diminishes to light wisps of bubbles. The nose is huge. Heavenly hops aromas of pine, citrus and resin and backed up by a malt backbone that miraculously isn’t completely shut out by the monster hops. The buttery toffee aroma it brings adds balance and makes the nose mouth-watering. Fabulous. The taste follows suit with more of the same balance between the two heavyweights. There’s the spicy, bitter hops that rush in full-force initially, but quickly back off a little to let the malts show through with a sweet flavor vaguely similar to an oatmeal cookie made with some brown sugar and a touch of molasses. A good amount of fruit in there, along with a little white wine and a hint of licorice. The finish is bitter and long, with hops oils refusing to let go of your cheeks and tongue. It has a medium-full body oily texture and low carbonation. What can I say, I think I set the bar a little to high on this one. However it almost met up to my expectations, I think mostly because of it’s fantastic aroma and great balance. I’m not sure if I’d consider this one of the best DIPAs in the world, but it certainly was an enjoyable experience that brought a smile to my face. Thanks, hero27, for the opportunity to try this big beer.

ski271, Jul 20, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

I wasn't originally planning on reviewing this beer, but after tasting it I was more then obliged to give it the review it deserves. It pours a sublime amber color, with a medium sized white head that quickly turned to a small white lacing. Smell was full of complexities...lots of grassy earth, some herbs such as cinnamon, some grapefruit tastes, and plenty of hops to go around. Taste really made my day. The citrus flavors along with the intoxicating hop flavors completely complimented each other in a way that few other ipa's i have tried have achieved. The mouthfeel was absolutely perfect, balanced in every sense of the word...hoppy yet smooth to the point of being almost too good. If this beer wasn't suvch a rarity for me, I probably would have drowned my glass in one fell swoop, but under the circumstances, I savored every single sip. This beer is the reason why beer should be respected and revered as an artform. I would go so far as to say that this is the best Imperial IPA/IPA in general that I have ever tasted. I never thought that another brewery could exceed dogfishhead 90 minute ipa, but this one completelly blows it out of the water. If you ever see this beer or have the oppurtunity to get it, dont even ponder it for a second, just get it, i promise it will not fail to satisfy. One of the most lovely beers i've ever tried. EXTRA special thanks to warriorsoul for a beer enlightening experience like none other. Cheers

jamie2dope, Jul 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

I cracked this bad boy open when the World Cup Finals went into overtime. I figured if this is to be a special occasion beer, now would be an appropriate time to partake. Also perhaps unconsciously in honor of the World Cup, I poured it into a gold-rimmed goblet.

I don't have the most acute sense of smell, but I could appreciate the scent of this beer before my nose was within a foot of the glass. I immediately smelled a crisp sweetness, somewhere between apple and pear. The brew didn't smell hoppy at all (unless this sweetness is characteristic of a particular hop), just very refreshing. The scent reminded me of Avery's Maharaja IPA, only the fruitiness was more intense.

It poured with a slight head that settled to a small puddle of lace floating atop a transparent, bubbly amber liquid.

Upon my first sip, I immediately realized this was unlike any other IPA I've tried (and I should hope not considering the bomber cost me $15.99). First pear/apple/peach, then hops. I love a good, bitter IPA (Stone IPA has been my all-time favorite for its pure hoppiness), but the sweetness of this one was quite pleasing and balanced well with the hops, although it was just a tad too sweet for a perfect 5.

Mouthfeel was fantastic going in, with the alcohol well disguised and the carbonation in perfect moderation. My one complaint was, as is true of many IPA's, the hops left a stale residue feeling on the roof of my mouth. I know this is common for IPA's, but I have had some with a clean aftertaste that doesn't linger (e.g. Stone IPA), and I prefer this cleanness to feeling compelled to take another sip to try and wash off the remnants of the last sip (obviously a self-defeating effort).

I'd consider American IPA's to be my favorite style of beer, and since joining BA, I've had my fair share of them. I still have to give Stone IPA the nod for #1 in American IPA's overall, due to its uncanny ability to be purely bitter and hoppy yet surprisingly crisp and refreshing, but this now stands as my favorite of the few DIPA's I've tried, and is definitely in a league of its own in terms of smell and flavor. However, at $15.99 a bottle, I may have to savor this moment longer than I'd like unless and until I have the opportunity to visit Indiana and try it at the source.

instrumentality, Jul 09, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber bottle from the brewery.

This beer poured a beautiful, bright apricot color with a beige, 1/2 inch head of foam. Plenty of belgian lace on the glass. The aroma is fantastic! A hop feast. It's like I'm smelling a just-opened bag of Cascade hop pellets. This must be dry-hopped with a ton of hops.

The taste is a complex hop party. There's so much going on. I taste tangerine, orange, peach, and even pine! You would think that this would cause a very bitter aftertaste, but it's really barely there.

The mouth-feel is full, kind of thick, with a clean, dry finish. More full than other Double IPAs.

This is a fantastic beer. Very drinkable and enjoyable - not in large amounts with its overwhelming flavor - but a glass or two definitely makes the day better.

westweasel, Jul 05, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Maximum respect to nflmvp for sending this my way in a trade. Poured into a Duvel tulip, Dreadnaught is a glowing orange mass with a dense, clotted ecru foam head. Orange and tangerine blossom citrus scents mix with a thick and sweet crystal malt aroma. Perhaps this isn't the freshest bottle, but I expected a bit more "oomph" in the aroma. Orange spiced sugar cookie dough, with a pleasant finishing pine and grapefruit pith bitterness. Some peach flavors emerge, as well. As it warms, more and varied fruit flavors become noticeable. This is much more balanced than I expected. Many reviews emphasize either an extreme blast of hops or a gargantuan sweetness, but I find that this strikes a nice equilibrium. There's a slightly sour, almost vegetal aftertaste. Quite interesting flavor profile, to be sure; many different hop-induced flavors are apparent, but not a single one stands out as a "crutch" flavor. There's lemon verbena, grapefruit, bitter orange, nectarine -- a very surprising and welcome panoply! It's not as juicy as I like my IPAs to be, but it's not too thick and syrupy either. 9.5% alcohol is expertly masked. All told, this is indeed an excellent DIPA, but not quite at the top of my list. Overall, it's beautifully crafted and surprisingly balanced. Glad to have had the opportunity to sample it.

orfeu, Jul 03, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +8.1%

Hot damn. This is a fine treat. Thank you Lone Hill Liquors. Poured from a 1 Pint 6oz into my Stone pint glass. Nice golden amber colour. The smell is flowery and definitely super hoppy, very nice. Now I'm about to get cheesy but these are the damn notes I took so bare with me. ' One of the best beers I've ever had, hands down a nice symphony of Hops balanced to a dangerously drinkable treat. Give me MORE!" This beer is absolutley outstanding. Balance is the key word. I forked over what I thought was a bit much to get my hands on this beer but it was all worth it. MMM HMMM.

chelovek, Jul 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

A: Medium head settled quickly to a 1/8" lace that lays evenly across glass. The lace coats glass well as beer is consumed.

Orange amber color with medium to heavy carbonation evenly visible through beer. Good looker.

S: Distinct powerful sweet fruity smell. Fragrant and very pleasant.

T: Fruity sweet then bitter. Citrus is apparent and good. Strong flavors, but a great balance between sweet and bitter. While the carbonation is clearly visible, it only adds a slight bite to the beer.

M: Wonderful. A pleasant bitterness has an inviting bite. Tastes very clean. Medium body. No overt alchohol taste.

D: YES! Instantly knew this one is a keeper. I could drink a lot of these. I love this beer. These are sold as premium bottles and rightly so, but I wish they sold 4 or 6 packs.

MagicLantern, Jul 01, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

Here it is, the fabled Dreadnaught...

Body is orange with a pretty thick white head. Head did not get as large, or linger as long as expected. Less lacing than I expected, too. Still a very beautiful DIPA.

Nose is huge. Citrus really dominates, with a slightly resiny-spicy component. This is the scent that I have been looking for, it actually makes your taste buds cringe a little...and that's a good thing.

Flavor is tremendous! This is what a double IPA is all about. Massive, sugared citrus flavors come in waves. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, this has it all. Plenty of resinous piney flavors as well. There is a solid malt backbone there, it is quite a substantial brew. But generally, this is a bit unbalanced in the hop direction, but I am very glad.

Mouthfeel is medium with noticeable hop oils and that wonderful tooth-stripping quality that we love so well.

Drinkability is tops, no question. I need to make a pilgrimage to FFF and try to get more of this incredible brew.

My favorite brewery, my favorite style, what more can I say?

ghostwalker, Jun 29, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours cloudy orange with a thick creamy head that leaves generous lacing.

Smell is everything a DIPA should be. Tons of herbal and piney citus hop. A very pleasant grassy aroma. The juicy citrus is making my mouth water. Just amazing. Underlying hints of a sweet malt base.

Taste is similiar to the nose but the toasted malt base really jumps out. Still, the hops are dominating with a wonderful mix of hop styles. Finish is spicy citrus and bitter. Floral hops seem to really make an impression in the lingering finish.

Mouthfeel is Medium-full, with only slight hop oilyness.

This is a very impressive beer. Wonderfully balanced. Juicy citrus will keep me coming back for more.

Blakaeris, Jun 25, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a hazy reddish orange color with a thick creamy head that left great lacing. and had good retention.

Smell is Hops, lots and lots of hops, big citrusy, grassy and floral hops odors. It smells absolutely fantastic.

Taste is shockingly balanced. After that big hop filled nose the flavor has a great strong semi sweet and toasty malt backbone with a nice grapefruit and lemony bit of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily leaving a long lasting tongue coating.

Overall an excellent DIPA from 3 Floyds.

bashiba, Jun 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -2%

A big thank you to NFLMVP for this beer.

I love a hoppy beer, and this fit the bill. The smell was very nice, hops with a mild sweetness that I am not familiar with in the DIPA's I have had.

The taste was big hops hit up front, followed by the sweet caramel flavor that was in the smell. I was not expecting this, and at first I wasn't sure if I liked this. After a few drinks, realized it helped round out the beer, and was overall a good thing. I still prefer a little stronger hops finish.

Overall a great beer, different than what I am used to in a DIPA, but a great interpretation of the style.

Boolshot, Jun 19, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer poured an nice amber with a minimal head that quickly faded. You could tell that this beer was so saturated with hop oils that it suppressed any chances of a big head.

The aroma was wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops. Also in the nose were notes of apricots and honey.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops (duh) with enough of a light caramel maltiness to help round things out. As potent (and lovely) as the hops were, they were very smooth. The beer was well attenuated so it wasn't smackingly sweet like, which is were I feel that most double IPAs are susceptible to loosing points. The beer had a very "bright" taste and a nice spiciness that I prefer in IPAs and DIPAs. Many brewers out there bottle condition their DIPAs, but in my opinion, the yeast cake zaps much of the intended potency of the beer after a few months. When it comes to DIPAs, I'm in favor of enough time for flavors to meld, but not mellow, hence, I didn't let this bottle sit around before cracking it open.

The mouthfeel was medium and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right. As I mentioned the beer was well attenuated and considering it was 9.5%, it was in no way too heavy and very drinkable. If you're lucky enough to find it on the shelves, buy as many as you can. I California, we don't get 3F, but I'm fortunate enough to have an "Indianna Connection" that brings me amazing beer several times a year.

SacoDeToro, Jun 19, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Flavor is citrusy, grapefruit, mandarin orange, peach, flowery aroma and hop bitterness.

Thick, chewey mouthfeel. Syrupy, slightly oily.

Aromas of citrus fruit, pine, cedar.

Beautiful appearance; orange/copper with some golden and ruby highlights.

Incredibly drinkable! An outstanding beer!

BillyB, Jun 17, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

large 22oz bottle, served around 50f. Pours with small white head, odor is immediately recognizable as similar hop profile to Bitter & Twisted (harveistoun) or DFH 60 min, though dreadnaught is a good bit more citrusy in the taste. Fabulous nose, floral and citrus.

Taste is the same hops as smell, but they are perfect on the palate, quickly dissolving into a mildly bitter finish, with the 9.5% barely hinted at. Further swallows seem to have a more bitter profile up front as the taste buds adjust.

Absolutely fabulous craft product, this is the third beer from 3 floyds i have had and the rave reviews on it are completely justified. Try this beer!

dogfooddog, Jun 16, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +12%

A: Two fingers of off-white head on top of a pale-copper beer. Crystal clear. Yearns to be sipped. Bottle is psychadelic and tempting.

S: Orgasm inducing. Bits of pine and loads of citrus. Could smell this all night.

T: Big hop flavor up front. Barely balanced with enough malt, but who cares this is a hop bomb. Of course, finishes clean.

M: Thick and tasty. Syrupy and sweet.

D: Definitely a DIPA, but a DIPA I want to drink. Could drink a bomber or two every night. The best expressive of my favorite style.

kdmorse, Jun 16, 2006
4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Ruby color with a rich, creamy, white head that slowly dissipates. Tiny bubbles shoot up the glass to the little island of head in the middle, leaves a nice lacing. Lemon, citrus, a lot of grapefruit aroma, actually smells thick with grapefruit. Taste is loads up with the lemon and citrus, but the grapefruit is most definately dominant, almost like a concentrated grapefruit juice. Be prepared, full of juicy hops. Thick, sticky on the tongue, full bodied and high carbonation explode flavors onto your tongue. This is great on occasion, but would probably wear out your palate if had too often. Get some if you can.

badbeer, Jun 15, 2006