Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,721
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
aforbes10

Iowa

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at 3 Floyd's brewpub...

Pours a golden, reddish tan color with a small head and really nice sticky lacing.

Odor is full of hops and then some weird mango funkiness as well. My wife said she smelled peaches, like the menu insisted, but i didn't get that.

Taste was BLAM!! HOPS!!! now i got the peaches too, but mostly just a fucking celebration of hops. still somehow the hops didn't kill the beer.

Mouthfeel was prickly and very aggressive

Great drinkability. alcohol partially blunts the bitter hop punch after just a couple of swigs and the flavor is maintained so that's good all around.

yeah, i'd go for this again. i know it's in bottles so if i ever see it ill grab some.

01-23-2006 14:06:53 | More by aforbes10
mzwolinski

3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Mostly clear copper in color, with light carbonatin and a thinnish off-white head that lingers and laces the glass. This beer is dominated by a juicy, orangey hop aroma w/ hints of pine, accompanied bysome light caramel notes struggling to make themselves noticed. Firtst thing noticed in the mouth -- wow, this is pretty damn hot in terms of the alcohol. The hops are very piney, with some sharp grapefruit character as well.
Sweetness is big also, and swells in sugary presence as the beer warms. Eventually, the alcohol cools off (though perhaps it’s just my taste buds getting numb) but never drops completely off the radar. Fairly heavy in the mouth, and the sparse carbonation doesn’t help. Overall, this is an alright beer, though it could definitely do with a little "time-out" before drinking.

01-20-2006 19:47:13 | More by mzwolinski
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz bomber

A - Pours a clear light orange with a thin off white head and tiny strings of lace.

S - Piney, citrus, grapefruit hops that combine for a very nice perfumey aroma. Some caramel malt is in the background but the hops dominate this one.

T - Grapefruit, pine and citrus with a malt sweetness to provide balance. The intermingling hop flavors linger on the tongue for a while leaving a tropical fruit flavor behind.

M - Enough carbonation to tickle the tongue and enough hop resin to coat the mouth but not thick or oily.

D - Very good DIPA. Alcohol is hidden well but you still feel the warming effects. Extremely tasty and hoppy fresh but unfortunately I have had several bottles lately that have turned into bad barleywines.

01-13-2006 23:44:27 | More by brewcrew76
kirok1999

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Found a few 22oz bottles at a local specialty house. $8.99 per bottle seemed a little steep but I bought 3.

Appearance- Cloudy orange with a nice white head that clings like glue with each sip.

Smell- Hop goodness, spicy and citrusy. Oily pine with some sweetness behind it.

Taste- Fantastic. Like a distilled version of Alpha King. Huge grapefruit hops, pine, with tons of hops perfectly balanced by malt sweetness. Huge!

Mouthfeel- Sticky and wonderful.

Drinkability- A perfect session beer (for those with few taste buds left), way too drinkable for the alcohol content.

01-02-2006 00:04:43 | More by kirok1999
Zorro

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

22 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

Pours a chill hazed orange to light brown colored ale which manages to even muster a small tan head despite the alcohol level.

Smell is a large and aggressive load of hops. A dazzling demonstration of all the scents that hops can provide in fact. Stronger less pleasant scents like willow trees (cat piss to me), eucalyptus, and menthol. Fruity scents mostly orange and lemons. Spices, allspice, basil and oak and black pepper. Even the expected grapefruit and pine scents are here. Once your nose can adjust to the hops there is a nice clean malt scent underneath. Alcohol fumes carry scents of citrus oils and black pepper.

Taste is mild and highly of citrus fruits in the beginning. Super mild in flavors for what this is, a damn strong beer. The flavor is all about light citrus nectars and some floral flavors, with a hardly harsh herbal finish. I can tell that the only Very light malts are used, as you can taste them clearly. Malt seems to be only the lightest malts and even possibly rice malt due to its lightness. Or maybe this beer has done a perfect "Jedi Mind Trick" on my senses?

Mouthfeel is good but light for the style. I can't really hold the light body against this beer, as it seems to be what this entire beer is meant to be.

Hard to be critical here; I can only sum up this beer in this way. Holy freaking crap! What a great beer!

12-23-2005 05:12:25 | More by Zorro
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

This bottle was brought back from Chicago thanks to my friend, Autumn. Great stuff.

The beer pours to a golden amber color with a thin white head. Carbonation is minimal, and the head doesn't leave much lacing.

The smell is intense. Very citric, with grapefruit and apricot hops. The malt is very sweet. This beer smells like candy.

The taste is very citric as well. Not too syrupy like some intensely hopped beers. Quite sweet. The bitter is not as intense as I thought it would be, but it is there.

As much as I enjoyed this beer, I can't quite decide whether or not it lives up to its hype. It carries quite a hefty price tag at that. I still love Three Floyds. This isn't the hopped up version of Alpha King that I was expecting, but a totally different beast. As much as I wanted a more intense Alpha King, I like that the brewers decided to mix it up. I would love another one, but I would have to drive 4 hours and pay another $10 a bomber. I'll pass for an Alpha Klaus if I end up making the drive.

11-28-2005 04:27:34 | More by neonbrown82
IrishRedRock

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

I've waited. Ohhhh, how I have waited. And now, this dog has had his day. According to my fellow BA's, this beer is the King of my favorite style, the mighty and mystical American Double IPA. For years have I sought and failed. Then, through the good fortune of a trade with Beerbeing, the bottle was mine. I stared at the bottle for a week. And now I must have her. Now, studying for a financial exam that will allow me to get paid more money and give me some letters after my name, I decide it's time for a study break. It's time for Dreadnaught.

Quite clear, a rich copper color with a frothy white head...the epitome of the style. Some are quite golden light, some are an amber brown. This falls in between, and the head retention is excellent to boot.

Aroma...wow. Like burying my face in a handful of fresh, leafy hops, and tangerines dipped in grapefruit juice. This is hoppy.
I've heard and read many a comment that this is uber-hopped, and make no mistake - it is - but it isn't a strip-the-varnish-off-a-foot-locker hoppy. It doesn't destroy your palate. Rather, the massive amount of hops blend with the seemingly enormous chewy malt profile that this also displays. Juicy, sweet, estery candied apples in the flavor. Oily resinous hops. A bit on the sweet side, but for me this is perfect...something I really enjoy in this style; having that sweet, juicy, like biting into fresh fruit sweetness is, to me, what makes a good DIPA a great DIPA. This one's got it.

Carbonation is constant throughout, and there's not a lot of it. Just a tingle. Perfect. In the flavor, the alcohol is only slightly noticeable in the finish, though it's a belly warmer.

This is straight-fuck delicious, as I've come to expect from this brewery. Certainly worthy of it's high ranking - however - this also makes me realize that more people need to try Avery Eleven, which, though not quite on par with this (the Avery is a bit more hop-weighted, so less balanced...but I like hops)...it's comparable. Thanks again to BeerBeing.

11-19-2005 04:30:51 | More by IrishRedRock
numenor1

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Holy fucking hell. This is damned close to IPA perfection, and by far the most balanced, well integrated DIPA i've ever had the pleasure to imbibe. This said, I give almost everything a 4 in appearance. Pours hazy dull yellow-orange with a nice white head that holds a respectable collar throughout, with some lacing. Smell is incredible, smells like fresh hops, completely fresh, green leafy hops, with a slight caramel undertone. Incredible, simply fantastic. The taste is like the smell x10. Fresh leafy leafy hops, oily hop essence, backed by a substantial, but not overly done malt body. If this brew has any faults, it could be just a tad less sweet, but it's pretty damned good all the same. Hop profile is like no other IPA i've ever had, terrific, and terribly hard to define. To me it's not citric, pithy or piney, like so many are, just fresh leafy greenness. Starts off slightly sweet across the palate then leafy green oily hops hops hops hops, slightly spicy hops through the finish. It's almost not bitter at all, not that bitter is bad, but this is hop essence sans bitter harshness, and it's awesome. Body is relatively full with with decent, but not strong carbonation, i wouldn't have minded a slight bit more. Drinkable? This is more drinkable than 95% of the IPA's I had that i drank before NC popped the cap. ABV is undetectable. Absofuckinglutely incredible. Second...perhaps third best beer I've had to date, and that's saying a mouthfull. My god, the hop burps after this ar eincredible.

Huge thanks to Beerbeing for this one.

11-11-2005 05:20:24 | More by numenor1
shbobdb

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Holy freakin' crap! This beer is fantastic! Upon pouring, it doesn't look all that special, just a slightly cloudy, yellow-gold brew with a nice white head, but then you smell it. Oh man. This is by far the best DIPA that I've ever smelled. Very, very hoppy, just all over the place hops. The taste basically follows the ssmell, with a truckload of hops nicely balanced out by a good, but not overpowering amount of malt. A perfectly balanced beer. While I was getting cottonmouth from the extreme hops, and the beer was bitter, at no time did I want to stop drinking this beer. The malt does it's job perfectly. Wow.
Best beer of the style, certainly. One of the best beers I've ever had? Without a doubt.

11-10-2005 17:05:25 | More by shbobdb
meathookjones

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Clear orange amber with a good-sized light tan head. Sticky rings of lace were left around the glass. Big up front hoppy punch aroma with plenty of citric and piney hop notes coming on strong. Some nice floral notes and a solid sweet malt backbone with some light toasty notes as well. Flavor is equally big with plenty of strong hops and a nice big malt taste. Sweet caramel and toasty malts contend with the big bitter grapefruit notes. Piney resins with some earthiness. Perhaps a bit sweeter overall than I would like it but its damn tasty. Ends with a nice bitter sweet grapefruit bite. Pretty thick and hefty on the palette with some of the bitter tongue raking expected of DIPA’s. Very drinkable stuff as well as it went down like a pale ale. Great brew that I wish was easier to come by.

10-31-2005 20:22:48 | More by meathookjones
waldowin

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a nice hazy gold color, white heads forms quickly and thickly, but fades almost as fast.

Smells amazing. Only slightly like I expected a double IPA this big to smell, mostly sweet honey and floral hops.

And it tastes fantastic! Sweet, mellow, and slick, with just a *hint* of a citrusy hop tang at the finish. Hop flavors are present throughout, with grapefruits, pine sap, and floral tastes all the way through. However, it's very subtle, and definitely compliments the malt, instead of dominating it. Stone breweries could learn a thing or two from this one.

Mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and full. Almost a chewy IPA, not at all like I expected a beer this light in color to feel. Leaves a very mildly bitter aftertaste, that gives way to a sweet honey/hops combination.

This stuff is scarily drinkable for its style, easily as drinkable as a hef or a lager. Just watch that ABV, it sneaks up on you.

10-31-2005 07:58:14 | More by waldowin
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

thanks to orbitalr0x for the bottle!

hazy uninterrupted peach color.. bright with smooth and thin expressway of carbonation traveling toward the retentive 2-finger head in my alt glass. fades super slow leaving a crepe-like crust full of air bubbles on the side of the glass. the foam itself looks like vanilla cotton candy, both creamy and airy. aroma is fresh.. resinous green hops married with a vibrant cherry-like acidity. some silky, woody vanilla scents and fresh picked tobacco leaf. alot going on here. tastes unique for an ipa.. almost barrel aged but very subtle. pine finish with a bit of tea leaves and peach essence in the aftertaste. slight alcohol bite is expected and total background noise, nothing more. very drinkable due to its lack of standard DIPA abrasiveness. mouthfeel is as light as it should be carrying the weight of the flavor circus contained within.

what else can i say? expected a huge, untamed monster and got a subtle, juicy, balanced and outside-the-box IPA that leaves me begging for another. first bottle i ordered on my pennsylvania brew tour after having this bottle just days prior.

10-26-2005 20:44:48 | More by goodbyeohio
bruachan

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

from the hudson acme

it's always nice to try an IIPA that doesn't have the same effect as chewing on a piece of fresh-cut white pine

the color is very nice: a rosy amber color (like scotch? or cognac?), but there isn't much of a head, which should be expected at 9.5%

great aroma; i get a noseful of columbus and some sweetness too

incredibly bitter, but without sacrificing any degree of deliciousness. very complex; unlike with some IIPAs the hops don't have sore shoulders here

10-06-2005 02:51:02 | More by bruachan
maggotbrain

The beer pours brassy amber with a thick white head, which recedes to a thin cap. Each sip leaves a ring of lace on the glass. It is a very attractive beer.

The smell is an assault on the senses—in a good way. There is a little citrus in there, but I can’t escape the peach. Each sniff is like cutting peach and shoving my nose into it. I’ve never encountered this odor in a beer before. Interesting.

The taste is pretty good, I guess. It’s sweet with a lot of peach flavor. The peach actually seems to dominate a bit too much in my opinion. I must admit I prefer Ruination to this as far as double IPAs go; the Dreadnaught seems a tad one dimensional in comparison. It is very tasty mind you, in its own way, but not something I think I’ll be buying again anytime soon—especially at $8.99 for a 22 ounce bottle.

The mouthfeel is decent; it comes close to bordering on syrupy, but doesn’t quite cross that line.

The drinkability of this beer is just OK. This beer is so sweet that after I finish this bottle, I will have had quite enough of it. Overall though, it is an easy sipper and I’ll have to take it slow considering its high alcohol content.

09-30-2005 01:17:54 | More by maggotbrain
oggg

Thanks to OldSock for this bomber, which I shared with my burgeoning non-BA roommate.

This brew is a deep orange hue with a nice light white head. The aroma of freshly mown grass fills my nostrils from the first sip to the last. On the tongue, though, it turns to intense resin/pine cone. So much so that I had trouble finishing it. Lots of caramel, alcohol quite present.

Overall: certainly not the regular west coast mix of hops. I think the hop flavor is a bit one trick and hard to keep down. I'd definitely give it a second try, as perhaps I am just not used to this hop mix.

09-22-2005 15:59:37 | More by oggg
GClarkage

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

09/15/05- Purchased via mail order through Archer's Liquors in Chicago.

Presentation- 22oz bomber bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness dating, but it ws from the latest batch this year.

Appearance- Golden-orange colored elixer. Nice 1/2 inch creamy and stark white and frothy head. Good lacing.

Smell- Where do I start....this was by far he best smelling beer, actually, check that...the best smelling anything that has ever come before my nose. Very hoppy in the nose. You can tell it's going to be bitter, but not to the extreme. Very little pine scent if any at all. The majority is a cornucopia of fruit. Imagine going to a country fruit stand where they have all these fruits cut open and the fragrance wafting into the air. At first a heavy dose of grapefruit is deteced, followed by some lemon, orange and maybe even some melon scents. But, the best part was after the beer had sat in the glass for around 30 minutes. The smell of fresh cut peaches was overwhelming. I literaly sat on the couch with my nose stuffed in my Duvel for about 30 minutes. Freaking incredible. They need to make candles out of this stuff.

Taste- Decent bitterness with a light malt background. Touch of pine flavoring in the hops, but the majority is fruity hops. The taste obviously isn't as good as the smell (or else I would be moving to Munster, IN and pouring this stuff by the gallon into a humidifier.) Maybe a touch of a roasted grapefruit flavor as well. Extremely tasty.

Mouthfeel- Perfect carbonation for an IPA. Slight creamy mouthfeel with a nice sugar coating as well.

Drinkability- This one is a damn special beer. Phenomonal scent with a damn good flavor as well. Probably the second best overall IPA2 I have ever had. Right up there with Hop Juice from Oggi's. This one isn't as bitter, but has a better scent. Highly reccommended. Getting more for sure. Kinda expensive on the pocketbook though. I think I paid $10.95 for it. Well worth it though.

09-16-2005 01:32:19 | More by GClarkage
antzman

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Simply amazing. Poured a coppery orange color with a tight white head that quickly faded away. The aroma was a sweet grapefruit smell with a hint of pine. The first sip is all hops but that is mated well with the surprising malt in this beer. The mouthfeel was a medium build, with a pleasant film left on your tongue. Overall this is an excellent beer. The great flavor masks the higher ABV, but again, this is an excellent beer

09-02-2005 00:44:44 | More by antzman
brewbacca

2.58/5  rDev -41.6%

S: Out of the bottle and in to a pint glass, I bought a bottle of this stuff while I was in chicago, and brought it back and drank it in SF.

A: Nothing fancy here light golden hue, with tiny head that disapeared almost instantly, light carbonation.

S: Hops, wheat (where did that come from?) some sweet malt notes, followed by phenals

T: Smelled, just like it tasted, I expected a huge hop whollop, but I was disapointed right away, it was weak and flat, not what I wanted at all. it had this funky tasted that wasn't right, I think it hadn't survivied the plane ride unfortunatly.

M: smooth, low carbs, slightly acidic.

D: propabably could have been better, I think the plane ride killed it

09-01-2005 22:07:44 | More by brewbacca
mntlover

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a clear amber/orange with a medium sized white head that does leave some lace. Hard to believe something so innocent looking contains so many hops.

Aroma is wow heavenly, loads of juicy citrus grapefruit mingled with pine resin and floral hops this one smells so good hop heaven in a glass. All of these hops riding on a lightly sweet bready malt base.

Taste is huge on hops loads of hops big citrus grapefruity hops. Lots of pine bittterness noted but not overly so, mingles with some herbal hops to round out this onslaught. Loads of hops in this one but it still doesn't taste out of balance the lightly sweet bready malt sneaks in and adds some flavor. So smooth so enjoyable the aroma relaxes you the flavor takes you to nirvana.

Mouthfeel medium full large amount of hops packed into this smooth crisp brew.

Drinability is great a huge tasting I2PA but crisp and clean hides the alcohol content well. Want to thank cretemixer for this bottle and the pints out of the growler, a wonderful beer one to seek out and buy. If I could purchase this one it would be my I2PA of choice pricey yes but worth it.

09-01-2005 11:46:23 | More by mntlover
Fish113d

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

I received this one in a trade with cmaruchak...thanks a million!!!

Pours an amber color with a big billowy 2" fizzy tan head leaving some cling on the glass...very clean appearance. Dissipation leaves a nice surface layer.

Aroma is super cascade hoppy! Lots of pine trees. Lots of alcohol hits my nose also. Not too exciting to be honest.

Taking a sip, I notice lots of pine hops with a nice buttery feel. Some sweet grapefruit escapes onto my palete as well and it finishes well with a nice slightly drying alcohol finish. I also notice the taste of rock candy as an aftertaste...wonderful for the style.

Very well balanced out carbonation in that it is not big like some IPAs I've had in the past. A nice medium-bodied brew with a nice buttery smoothness that goes a long way.

Drinkable? OH, HELL YEA! This gives the Dogfish 120 minute IPA a run as my favorite IPA of all time, and may take over that spot. Just an awesome brew!!!

08-30-2005 02:42:29 | More by Fish113d
nlmartin

4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

I served this beer in a pub glass.

Appearance: Pours a lovely copper color with a full inch and a half white fluffy head that resolved to a fingers width. Lacing noted on the glass.

Smell: Very spicy, yeasty and malty with a full on assault of grapefruit.

Taste: A full on assault of grapefruit and peel. Nice sugar and herbal blend. Hop heaven as far as I have known it.

Mouthfeel: A nice hoppy biting sensation with a not unpleasant after taste.

Drinkability: A man could become addicted to this beer. I know I am hooked. Over all one of the best American beers I have drank.

08-29-2005 13:18:22 | More by nlmartin
kmo1030

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

hazy orangy amber with a not quite white head. huge piney citrus nose like fresh cut cedar. has a grapefruit rind type smell. sprucy as well. herbal qualities sneak in as it warms. the smell really builds the anticipation. the taste is hands down the most complex that i've ever had from such an unbalanced beer. grapefruit rind, bitter lemon rind, resinous citrusy pine sap. beneath this is an herbal asprin quality due to the amarillo hopsprobably. the bitterness hits you like a ton of bricks, but it also has a sweetness provided by some of the hop flavors too, that does it's small part to try balance the brew, but ultimately falls short to the coating hop wrecking ball of bitterness. the alcohol is well covered, but it is slightly warming going down. it has a medium body with a very coating quality to it. the carbonation is delicate providing a very smooth drinking experience. overall 4.5 drinkability because while absolutely delicious i'm not sure i'll even be able to taste the end of the bottle. this is an absolutely balls to the wall double IPA, that proves three floyds is one of the best breweries out there. an absolute hop bomb, hop heads seek this out.

08-29-2005 00:00:37 | More by kmo1030
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Absolutely huge Cascade bud pine hop aroma. one of the best smells ever in a beer, reminds me of the freshly cut tree smell on the green chain section of a lumber mill i worked at years ago.
Has a clear copper color with a light yellow head. Medium bodied and smooth. Taste starts with a nicely bittersweet hop assault on the taste buds followed by a good dose of malts which add a light caramel sweetness. But this brew is about the hops; as it warms the flowery and grapefruit hops emerge and make for a nicely bitter, crisp and clean finish.
One of the best Imperial IPA's out there.

08-28-2005 21:37:36 | More by beerceller99
mynie

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

I am staring at APA perfected. If an artist, 100 years from now when MillBudco, a subsidiary of AOL Time GE Virgin MegaCorp, makes the three types of beer Americans are allowed to buy and people want to take a look back into the dark ages at what beers used to look like, he'll paint this.

Smells like bready yeast and perfect hops. Grapefruit and pine and pumpkin pie spice.

Tastes very much like Alpha King, only with a harsher hop finish and more yeast in the front. This might be the hoppiest beer I've ever drank. It's incredidly intense, yet remarkably easy to drink.

Wonderful beer.

08-27-2005 05:59:17 | More by mynie
lostbearbrew

Georgia

I may have found the perfect beer for my tastebuds - and nose. This is one amazing olfactory and taste bud experience. Holy hops/malt balance, Batman!

Copperish tones, with red highlights, large fluffy bubbly head.

Major grapefruit up front in the nose, overtop of pine and a little straw, and some nice bready malt.

The flavor is insanely wonderful, this is as close to hophead beer nirvana as I have been privy to yet. Bitter citrus notes hit hard, and then hang on, but there are other flavors to be sampled throughout the sip. Nice sweet caramelly or sugary taste that really compliments the hops nicely.

Mouthfeel is simply stunning - no hot throat or even warm tummy. Sort of sits in your mouth, on your tongue and even down the top of your throat for a long time as each sip slowly fades away...

Only drinkability issue is finding more of this to sip on....

08-24-2005 19:15:32 | More by lostbearbrew