Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,783
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

22oz. Bomber from Dilly Deli poured into a pint. No dating.

A: 1finger, yellowish rocky head. Very murky apricot pour. Head dies a little bit then holds some retention. Not much lacing at all.

S: Floral, Piney hops. Not as much spice as I would have expected. Getting some caramel malt sweetness. Hops are there but again, not as much as expected.

T/M: Good balance between a crisp hoppy bite and sweet, nutty, caramel malts. It's actually higher in malts than I expected. Moderate, creamy body.

D: Average drink and pretty tasty. I liked this but it wasn't what I was expecting from such a highly rated DIPA. Price and availability take a away from it a little bit.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer represented something of a Damascus Road for me since I was unfamiliar with these high-alcohol IPAs prior to meeting the Dreadnaught at the FFF brewery. The world has never been the same again. Pale mahogany and slightly hazy upon pouring with a modest yet structured head. The (obviously hoppy) aroma is arresting, but the palate is what it is all about. Others have written extensively about it; suffice it to say that, after Dreadnaught, almost all other beer is boring. My only reservation: at $10 a bomber it isn't cheap.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to dertbert for this one, again.

A - Poured out a cloudy orange color with flecks of burgandy. It had a small, off-white head that left small traces of lace.

S - It smelled of citrus and orange. Also, a good dose of hops and a sweet kick.

T - It tasted of subtle spices. A nice bitter hop flavor. Also, a good bit of toasted malt.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A warm alcohol presence. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - This is an excellent beer. Great flavor!

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pours an amber color with a thin head that lingers for quite a while.

S- Smell is very sweet and citrusy with a very subtle hoppy pine aroma in the background.

T- Tastes of caramel, citrus and a slight hoppy bitterness. Extremely well balanced for a DIPA and not nearly as overbearing as I was expecting.

M- Mouthfeel is very thick with a low amount of carbonation. I personally would have liked a little more carbonation but it all seems to balance really well.

D- This is extremely drinkable, delicious and well balanced, couldn't ask for much more from a DIPA.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

I've had this one a couple of times but I'm just getting around to a BA style review.

A vigorous pour only gets about an inch of light tan head. Body is an attractive honey amber hue. Nose is a rich hoppy mouth waterer with citrus, pine, mineral and even some silky vanilla notes laced in. As you first sip this one you get the well developed long rich hop feel that is prestigously unipue. Silky and nicely balanced with long citrus rind and honey. Almost sharp like cheese on the mouthfeel, while leaving a thickness on the buds. Warms the belly well. Delicous long term sipper that is not at all obtrusive.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A- An aggressive pour only produced a 1 finger creamy white head on this one. The body is a beautiful translucent rusty amber color that is full and vibrant. Head fades rather quickly to a nice collar and some lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Smell is a big and balanced combination of piny and citrus hops. The piny hops dominate the nose at the end.

T- Upfront is lots of citrus hops and a good dose of piny hops. A whole lot of hop flavor upfront. The finish is a smack in the face of refreshing piny hops with hints of fruity citrus subtly making a presence in the background. What lingers is a big piny hop flavor. The bitterness is definitely present but not strong until a second or third swallow is made after a gulp of this brew. The hop flavor is definitely the main character here.

M- Medium carbonation and big thick oily mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy.

D- This is a pretty darn good DIPA. One that is hard to find and it was definitely a treat for me. The 9.5% ABV is well hidden but takes its effect pretty fast. One I will revisit when I see it again (not available around here-and soon not available in OH either.) My first brew from FFF . I have Rabid Rabbit that I am looking forward to also-but I would like to try others from FFF.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A 650 mL of Dreadnaught that I purchased over a year ago as part of a case. As it has at least a year under its belt, I thought it was worth a re-visit.

A: The ale has an appreciable haze in my tumbler glass, in part because the ale is cold and the glass is not and in part because the 'Naught has some haziness to it to begin with. The ale is still full of vim and vigor, leaving a nice band of lace in the glass.

S: The nose is still full of hops, bitter and astringent, but a pronounced malt body has emerged that reminds me of Devil Dancer or Weyerbacher Eleven. Both of those beers are an intense blend of hops and malts, easily mistakeable for a barleywine. I have the same issue here, the flavors are indistinguishable from a hoppy West Coast barleywine.

T: The malt body is far more pronounced now than in the past but the flavors are not barleywine-esque, which really threw me for a loss. The malt body that emerges is caramel-driven, grainy with an underlying darker sweetness. Don't let initial impressions fool you, the hops are still here and they are still strong. Medicinal amarillo flavors emerge, creating a sharp contrast with the caramel malts. The alcohol is as evident, if not moreso than when the beer is fresh.

M: Even with a year under its belt, this beer is formidable, full of offensive hop bitterness and a huge malt backbone. One of the best DIPAs has easily transitioned to an excellent barleywine.

D: A bomber is more than even, fresh or a year old. The body is full of intense flavors that can easily knock the tastebuds around. Despite the long-term scarring to my taste abilities, I have achieved a certain serenity with this in hand.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

*Bottle aquired in a trade with SilentSabre. Thanks.

This beer is a cloudy orange with a small head. Not a lot of carbonation. The smell is hop heaven. Probably the best smelling hoppy beer I have ever had. The taste was well balanced with a huge hop presence with a malt sweetness to even it out. Absolutly wonderfull. The mouthfeel is smooth with just a hint of the abv. The drinkability is good as well. I gave this a 4 in that area not to take away from the beer but to remind myself that this beer is almost 10%. I prefer the Alpha King to this for session drinking but this is perfect to split a bomber with a friend.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Ohhh thanks enola. You are the man!!
Pumpkin colored. 1/2" wispy head.
The aroma is amazing! It was hard to pull my nose away from this one. The whole hop gamut fills my olefactory senses. Pine, citrus, floral. It is all there. Floral is probably the most noticable, but not by much.
Huge biscuit malts in the flavor. Huge citrus/piney hops. The floral is more noticable in the aroma than the taste. Huge hoppy beer. WIth that being said I don't think this one really stands out among other top DIPAs I've tried.
The mouthfeel is full bodied. It's as full as most RISs. Also it 's missing the tingling feeling a lot of hoppy beers leave in my mouth.
It's a damn good beer. No doubt about that.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

This one is for Michael Jackson. May he drink in peace.

Poured into a Piraat tulip this beer is a hazy vibrant orange-red color which shimmers in the light. The head is only an inch in height. Lacing is thin cap which covers the liquid below.

The aroma is of grapefruit, citrus, and pine needles. I have experienced all of these aromas before in DIPAs, but this beers has a distinct oddness to it. These aromas are interacting with each other in a completely different way than I have witnessed before. It is hard to discribe. At times it seems competely fruit driven, then seconds later it is completely pine driven. I guess the best way I can think to disrcibe it is as being perfectly round....no, not round. It has too much depth to be just round. It is spherical. All of its elements dominate in their own rite, then step aside to let the others have their turn. The real beauty lies in how there is no set pattern as to which aromas follow each other. It can start out with grapefruit, then become citrus, then grapefruit again, then tumble into pine resin. The next whif can be citrus, then more citrus, then pine, the grapfruit. It simply rolls all over.

The taste is more structured than the aroma, but equally as complex. Again grapefruit, citrus, and pine. The grapefruit and citrus make an immediate impact, then fade away. Pine shines through the finish, giving way to the grapefruit which re-appears in the long aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a silky texture, and fine, lively carbonation.

Overall, this is a real treat. I enjoy drinking DIPAs, and IPAs, but I usually refrain from saying I love drinking them. This is due to the fact that, while nearly all the examples I have had have been very fun to taste, have lacked any significant complexity, and have failed to create any deep philosophical wonderment. This beer is different. It is by far the most complex DIPA I have yet had the privilege to taste. Could I drink this beer everyday? No, but I would love to drink it once a month.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

RIP Michael Jackson, I drink this in your honor. I’m a huge fan of double IPAs and this one has such a malty biscuit-juice like backbone, I was pleased how that layer counterbalances the bitter pine cone grapefruit-esque hops which stand out in the finish. Balance is not an operative word here with the intensity of flavors all around. A bit too much on the tea side with that bittersweet honey biscuit flavor but all around an enjoyable beer. Its also a bit astringent with the overload of hops. Thank you NEPA case split club for this bottle.

Pours burnt orange with a milky head.

Orange, booze, mango, some flowery notes, and pine in the nose. Nothing unique here.

Really underwhelmed with the hop character-I was hoping for something that would give Pliny a run for its money being rated so highly. Pretty malty upfront that quickly progresses to candied orange, pineapple, and mango flavors. Finishes with pine and floral flavors. Quite bitter.

Not a bad DIPA, just expected a lot more from something that cost 12 dollars for a 22 oz.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

One of the first big beers I tasted when I first began this quest. Thought I would review now that I am on BeerAdvocate. Pours from the bomber a hazy orange type color with a small white head that stays for a moment and then just simply leaves a small white head on top. Smell is pine hops with some fruits coming through like grapefruit. Taste is all hops with grapefruit and leaving a bittering delicious hop feeling. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky and allows your palate to concentrate on the bittering hops without too much overpowering carbonation. After sampling lots of other IIPA out there I come home to this one and am thorougly impressed again.

22 oz bomber

I popped the cap, or rather tried to, but the opener slipped off after the first "pfft". As I reposition the opener to finish popping the cap I start to laugh - I can already smell it!

Pours a pretty bright hazy orange, with a light and airy head of nearly white color. Most subsides quickly, but some better than average lacing is left behind.

What a delicious hoppy aroma, full of grapefruit, pine and a sweeter orange aroma. Note that there is plenty of caramel malt evident here, but frankly it is scarcely worth mentioning compared to the quality of the hop bill here. Alcohol isn't hidden, and I don't mind a bit. Fantastic.

Tasty, and probably a bit too much so for my own good. Is this beer, or a glass of palate-sticking hop oil? Love the lingering bitterness which is really working my saliva glands. Alcohol shows up even more than in the aroma. Great combination of sweet and bitter, like biting into an orange and getting the juice mixed with the peel. Other than the general perception of sweetness it is difficult to say much about the malt profile. Body is pretty full, but drinkability never overly suffers. Carbonation is restrained, the finish dry, and I'm left enjoying the hop juice sticking to my palate.

I drank this beer for the first time with a lemon/blueberry cheesecake at the 3F brewpub...this experience fell short of that, but then most experiences in my life fall short of that bliss. It's a bit warming but I opened it on a 94 degree day without a second thought - I'd experience this again in a heartbeat, and fortunately I'm not out yet!

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a hazy amber orange with small head but great lacing. Smells of huge hops, piney, grassy and citrus rind along with grapefruit. Taste is a wallop to the buds and I love it. Delicious, power packed hops but as soon as you want to pucker a nice balance of fruit and malt make this an incredible balanced DIPA. Alcohol is not present other than a little warming. Carbonation is perfect as is the medium mouthfeel and crazy drinkability. Finishes a little dry and bitter from the hops but does not sting or linger. If I had access to this I would have it batting cleanup. A must try for any true BA.

In an effort to try some of the best according to BA subscribers, I went to Vintage Wine and Beer and bought a 750ml of Dreadnaught. Three Floyds is known for brewing some great brews so I was very excited to try this one. I was able to share this and some other great brews during a tasting night with two of my good buddies. We saved this for last because we knew our palates would all used up after drinking this famous DIPA.

A--This is an attractive beer. I would term it a "radioactive orange" It is deep and bright, almost peach color.

S--Surprise on this...Hops! Lots of hops for certain. However, you smell a sweet nectar eminating from it also, it is distinct and impressive.

T--This is crazy. I have never tasted an IPA like this in my life. It is very unique in flavor. I cant get past the sweet tones in the palate, it is something you dont get everyday.

M--Non-distinguishable. Not especially smooth or notable.

D--Wild beer. I really liked this one a lot. The only hangup I might have is a had a variety of the finest in the world and by the point I got to this, I was pretty knackered. Might not be 100% fair to this one but still, a must try.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

received in a trade with tpd975, much appreciated!

all i have to say about this beer is DAMN, it absolutely sucks that we can't get this beer out here...very, very awesome double IPA, that is very well balanced...you can definitely smell the hops as soon as you pour this in the glass, very nice pine and citrus smell...while i expected to be kicked in the mouth with the hops i was very surprised at how balanced it really was...you could definitely taste the strong hop presence, but it was very well balanced with a great honey flavor...will definitely be trying to get my hand on some more of these!

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

22-ounce bottle, shared with fellow anonymous northern Colorado B-A. Thanks for hooking me up!

Appearance is solid cloudy orange under an ample white head. Head fades to a thin cap and stays. Apparent carbonation. Pretty beer!

Smell is huge: all floral and pine hops over a solid cracker malt and bread-dough base. Mmmm. This smells mighty good.

Taste has a great malty-sweet foundation up front, then hops, hops, hops kick in. Not just bittering hops, but nice floral and piney hops. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth and nicely slick. Evident hop oils. So smoooth, with notable and fine carbonation.

Drinkability is excellent. So many complex flavors happening here, you palate stays occupied. The alcohol is completely hidden. I never would have guessed this thing is 9.5%.

Another home run by Three Floyds! Well done.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

I recieved this in a trade from jdoolin, Poured into my De Garre snifter.

A - Pours amurky amber orange, the first pour revealed only the slightest head (even after a vigorous pour) and barely any carbonation bubble, lacing, etc...
- The second pour had a nice 1.5 finger head... it looked like a proper beer

S - Big earthy hop aroma wiht a hint of pine complemented by a big sweetness.

T - A great tasting DIPA. Of course it has a huge hop presence in the beginning, sweet middle,with a lingering hop bitterness. But there is also a nice nutty presence... toasted almond. As it warms it actually has a drier finish; the sweetness fades slightly, revealing a more hoppy beer, almost a pireceing bitterness ... excellent.

M - Medium bodied, despite the light carbonation. It could be a bit more carbonated ( that might would have brought out moreof the aroma) but it had a nice feel, nonetheless.

D - Despite the huge flavor and the big alcohol punch this is quite drinkable. A very well made beer, balanced but enormous flavor.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Clear orange with a fast-fading head.

Juicy, organic aroma nearly pours off the beer...leafy hops, medium malts, molasses, and something like chicken barbeque.

Taste is huge with leafy and floral hops, succulent malt (for some reason I get a twinge of barbequed poultry again. No food is present to skew my tasting, and it's a good flavor but odd.) Alcohol is readily apparent with a mild sting, and it resonates hop bitterness far into the aftertaste. Some woody, almost oaken notes show up at times as well. Slight saltwater notes as well.

A true ass-kicker of a DIPA, right up there with Southern Tier Unearthly and Stone Ruination. Only hopheads need apply, yet there's a good, complex brew under the monster hops and alcohol.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

excellent

not picking on anyone...two reviewers earlier said it smelled like a ho flower...hmm i used to know her...anywho this is one beautiful beer. excellent flava, excellent smell and body, color was lighter than expected but rich. nice head and carbonation.

this is a keeper. wonderful tasting beer.

likely in my top 5 in IPA.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

A- A beautiful gold liquid fills the glass. It is slightly cloudy, just how I like it. The drawback is the tiny head that formed and then settled to almost nothing- leaving a fairly lonely looking liquid in the glass.

S- Now this is just about right. Some pine (but not harsh at all, this is beautiful), some grapefruit, slightly earthy with a great malt backing. Kind of sweet, but very unique.

T- Amazing. Just like the smell, but way more intense and complex. Sweet and bitter at the same time, but nothing overwhelms. Very well balanced.

M- Perfect amount of carbonation and lightness on the palate. Not overly cloying, just enough lasting bitterness to let you know what it is going down.

D- What a stellar beverage. I was not so awed by this my first time around, but hey- this sort of gives HopSlam a run for its money.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Very hazy orange as I poor it into my glass. Small to medium head as I wait for the beer to settle. Very good to look at. Very orange with a cloudy/amber haze.

S-Before it hits the lips I smell tremendous hops, orange, and grapefruit that makes you want to dive right in.

T-it's almost sweet, but the hops hit you before the sweetness sets in. You can taste the obvious hops and they give the beer a unique flavor, but do not overpower the beer.

M-Once it's in the mouth it is much thicker than the color would suggest.

D-This is one of the best beers in it's category. Although it has a high ABV it is very drinkable, which makes it a little dangerous.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

I flew to Chicago and drove to Munster, Indiana for this beer. After loading the rent-a-suv, I drove straight home, to Boston with it.

This I.P.A. Came in a 22oz. Bomber. Once poured (into one of those new engineered Sam Adams glasses) the head is small and disappears quickly. The beer has a fairly floral hop aroma.

It has a very fruity hop flavor that lingers for a few moments. You will honestly want another gulp and then another glass. It feels a little filling in your mouth with the pops of various fruit and that delicious hops. Once down the hatch you quickly find a beer that isn't as filling as you'd assume.

I find this beer to be an awesome example of what an IPA should be. Hoppy floral aromas with a fruit/hoppy taste and after taste that doesn't overwhelm. This beer aims to please the hop head with making you feel like you're chewing on hops. Over-all an aweseome beer. Heck I flew to Chicago and drove to the brew pub to buy this stuff. Then drove home 18 straight hours for it.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

Out bounces a vibrant, golden-orange colored brew with no carbonation and a thin wisp of white foam up top. Good depth to the color, despite the transparency (there's a lot of light getting through this beer). The aroma is absolutely intoxicating: fresh, piney hops, a touch of ganja, alcohol, sugary molasses, spice, and (of course) tons of grapefruit, tangerine and mango notes. I'd give the smell a 5.5 if I could.

The taste is decadent as well. There are oily, syrupy notes of resinous hops paired with sweet malted toffee and citrus (lots of grapefruit, again). The alcohol makes an appearance, but not overwhelmingly so. Mouthfeel is very viscous, almost to the point of excessiveness. I enjoyed this beer more when it was cooler (~35 F vs. 45 F). The aftertase is good, but the alcohol seems to play a bigger role than the bitterness of the hops, producing a more pungent feel that I would have liked. This is just a nit-pick, however, as the mouthfeel still ranks highly. Overall, this beer is absolutely drinkable, enjoyable, and complex. The hops burst through, but are not without their complements of sweetened malts and alcoholic overtures. Definitely worth the price tag, and worth searching out again.

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub