Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,742
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I am having this beer to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of being a beeradvocate member.

Dark Orange.

Outlandish, gushing hop aroma of pine, grapefruit, ground up orange peel, orange, lemon and all citrus fruits for that matter combine with biscuity and toffeeish malt that I can simply smell all day.

A gigantic onslaught of hops, along with their bitterness, consume my entire mouth. Raw, villainous, harsh, demonic, unrelenting hops, providing uncut viscious notes of grapefruit, pine, resins and mango. The hops point and laugh at the malt as they pass by my salivary glands. No distinquishable malt flavors but a solid body to say the last and a big, bodacious mouthfeel.

Yummy.

Crosling, Sep 23, 2004

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

TastyTaste, Sep 10, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -28.7%

This one pours an orange color with a nice head. The aroma was way strong and smelled very strongly of hops - I don't know what kind, but it was way strong. The hops dominate the flavor as well - very strong, but somewhat well balanced. Extremely good for an I2PA.

clvand0, Sep 06, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +5.9%

I was lucky to find this 22 oz. bomber...as I've been so excited to try it.

Pours into my glass a very hazy deep orange with a small head. The pour is thick and creamy. The smell is overwhelming to my nose. A cornucopia of hops along with alcohol notes and some spicy citrusy tones. Unlike anything I've smelled before. The first sip is amazing..a great balance of flavors...this brew demands respect. Hops lead the way with some spicy pine tones. The biterness is there but it's balanced well and not at all overwhelming. The alcohol comes through on the back of the palate...you can tell this is a badass Double IPA. Mouthfeel is unlike any other beer I've tried yet...it has a great full body. After trying this I can't wait to try some other 3 Floyd's brews. The only downside I can see for this brew is that one of them will kick my ass...so the drinkability factor is not very high. Otherwise, this is a great beer that I'm glad I've had the opportunity to try.

3-2-2005: New, fresh batch of Dreadnaught awaits me.... pours bright golden orange with a thick dense head. HUGE citric hop nose...grapefruit, orange, lemon...mixed with spiciness, pine sap resin....it times like this that I wonder why 5.5 isn't an option!!! A hophead's dream come true....big citrusy, piney hops meld with a nice caramel malt background. Alcohol weaves in and out and bitterness is nice and strong...yet not too overpowering. Still one of the best double IPA's...period. A nice full, chewy, slightly syrupy mouthfeel bathes the palate in hops...lovely. Drinkability gets a bit of a bump as this fresh batch is just so hoptastic that I don't want the bottle to ever be empty. Yum yum yum!! Three Floyds has impressed me yet again...now just drop the price a bit please!!

orbitalr0x, Sep 04, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz bottle purchased at Vienna Whole Foods, Vienna, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light beige head over the orangey copper hued brew. Dense, long-lasting head, laces tremendously. Aroma is citrusy hops, with a sweetly malty undercurrent. Taste is, wow, smooth sweet malts upfront, which segues into biting piney and citrusy hops, and a tinge of alcohol as it all leaves the mouth. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, excellent for the style and abv. Drinkability is great as well, unfortunately it's not as easily available as it should be around here.

ppoitras, Sep 02, 2004

Pours bright orange with a small, bubbly head.

Tons of hop aroma in the nose. It's like a pine bomb went off in the glass. Lots of bitterness and a little sweetness too.

Full bodied with light carbonation, but smooth and creamy. Absolut hop bomb here. Tons of citrusness that becomes quite bitter and just finishes with a dry bitterness. Sweetness is also quite pronounced as well with some malt backbone. This beer is all about the hops though.

Delicious IIPA, I know all 5's should be rare but this is truly an exceptional beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. Truly a masterpiece. Just wish I'd bought more than one.

Southernbrew, Aug 30, 2004

Appearance: Brassy, hazy golden color with a moderately-sized off-white head; lots of broken lace and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Great clouds of citrus, grapefruit, and pine tar hops assail the olfactory sense. Amazingly, beneath the totality of hops, there is a subdued, by quite discernable sweet malt backbone.

Taste: Begins with a sweet, light caramel malt flavor, which is rapidly subsumed by a massive wave of citrus and pine tar hop. Although faint, the malt flavors are not entirely vanquished, remaining a subtle presence throughout the taste. The finish is quite interesting, there are lingering metallic hop notes and a distinct light honey-like malt sweetness, which played off well against the intense hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth, creamy and quite full.

Drinkabilty/notes: A superb example of the style, not one of my favorites, being that I am not a hophead. Nonetheless, the craftsmanship exhibited by this beer is remarkable. Thanks to HardTarget for sharing this rare beer.

Pegasus, Aug 26, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

IPA (including Double IPA) is one of my favorite styles, so I opened after much anticipation. Color was orange-copper, and slightly hazy. Aroma was potent, there was no questioning there are plenty of hops in this one. Mouthfeel was chewy and a bit sticky/resiny.

An excellent beer, but really had more of a barley wine like attitude... the maltiness was a bit too big and the hops while strong didn't quite keep balance with the level of malt. After knowing Alpha King so well I was really I was expecting more from it's big brother.

truthbrew, Aug 24, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz Bomber bottle...thanks Ed you are a King among men as a trade partner. Decanted into my tulip glass as a deep amber orange liquid with a frothy sticky 2 finger off white cap. Great aroma: musty grapefruit, hint of pine... some malt sweetness...a hop heads dream. Starts big with ample citrus-spruce hops up front and a huge malt body to balance it off... then some salty- soapy tastes where the alcohol tastes mingle with the hops on a creamy delivery... then the finish is long with citrus pine bittering going to more metallic tastes...what a great big APA! I love it...Ed...send more!!!

pootz, Aug 23, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +11.5%

Bomber Size bottle - The perfect serving size !

Color was very slightly hazy golden yellow copper color.
It pours with a creamy white head and distinctive crisp hop aroma.
The head dissapates to a thin lace after a few minutes.

The first flavor is sweet malt and hops, and the hops linger on the
back of the tongue for a long time.

This IS the big brother to Alpha King, and is my benchmark for I2PA's.
Heaven in a bottle !

HopHeadKen, Aug 23, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

This is packaged in a 22oz bomber on which the label has fell off, brought to me by a friend traveling through Indiana. It has the Three Floyd’s cap on it but that is the only identifier besides the employee’s at Kahn’s swearing that it is Dreadnaught.

My friend said I would know if it was the right beer if I poured it out and it was “neon orange”…haha, I can see where he gets that from. It pours out with a body that is a definitely a bright orange shade of copper. A big head rolls up, and hangs around stickily… rather well for a beer with this ABV. Tiny streams of bubbles roll up through the body and I can see pieces of what appears to be hop matter floating within.

The nose is vivid and thick. I can practically smell the stickiness of the sweet malts. Big, big oily pine presence in the nose as well as citrus rinds, and grapefruit. As soon as I popped the cap and took a whiff I knew I definitely had the right beer.

The flavor here is a very intense experience. The front is sticky and sweet with mega-malts. The middle is taken over with a flat, vibrating bitterness, this transitions into hints of pine-apple, oily pine flavors, hints of apricot, and big citrus rinds and grapefruit flavors. This beer comes close to what I think it would be like to suck on a syrup dipped hop cone, and literally be prepared to pick little pieces of hop matter off your tongue and teeth. Don’t taste the alcohol as much as feel it trail warmly into my belly, Mouthfeel is a little sticky, or oily but that just makes the delicious flavor hang around that much longer.

A simply outstanding Double IPA, well crafted and a really intense experience. Again, if only Three Floyd’s would distribute here I would revisit this one often. I owe the pleasure of experiencing this one to John, thanks man!

FormatKid, Aug 22, 2004
4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Despite a relatively light color for what I had expected, this beer has a lot of depth to the appearnce. The color is deep and rich and the head, while not so much big, is thick and foamy. The smell is hoppy and spicy with some chocolate flavors. The taste is very spicy with a thich hoppy taste, with tons of syrupy pine and some good citrius. The mouthfeel is perfect for the beer, and although the beer is hefty with alcohol, you wouldn't necesserily stop while drinking the beer to notice.

FranklinPCombs, Aug 12, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

22 oz brown bomber with the funky label design and one of the coolest bottle caps I have seen in a long time.

Beer pours a nice dark copper with a massive white, fluffy head. Really nice lacing patterns.

Very strong smelling beer. Lots of citrus/pine aroma. I also get a hard candy type of smell from this beer. Yummy! Background note: I sometimes drive by the Ferra Pan candy factory (home of the atomic fireball!) on my way to & from Chicago. When the factory is producing candy, the aroma is similar to the background aromas I get from this beer.

Taste is ever so bracing. Lots of pine (think pine sap) and grapefruit. Swirling underneath the obvious hop characteristics is some subtle apple/plum flavor and again, that trace of hard candy. This one also has a slightly sour aspect as you work through the beer. I’m guessing that this beer is heavy on the malts, something is in there to keep this baby close to in-balance. Given the obvious heavy hopping, the brewer has made a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy. I’m not sure why, but I expected a harder edge. Drinkability is good, but for me at least, one per night of this wonderful beer would be enough. Here is a beer that lives up to its well deserved hype & pimping!

Redrover, Aug 07, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Aroma: Pinesap & Grapefruit infused into a solid malt base. Nice juicy fresh hops busting out of this puppy.
Appearance: A rosy orange body with nice clarity. A white multi-sized bubbled cap gives a classic appearance for the style.
Flavor: Alpha acids personified. A major hop presence, but crisp and refreshing. Refreshing is too mild; exhilarating, motivating, empowering! After sipping this beer, I feared naught. Strong citric acid taste but not a grapefruit taste, more of an orange like citric. With all that acid going on, there was no burn. The flavors jumped but were based on a rock solid malt backbone. Not a hint of alcohol.
Mouthfeel: While the burn wasn’t tasted, it was slightly felt (if that makes sense/and I don’t really care if it doesn’t). Overall a wonderful smooth feel with a medium body.
Overall Impression: Solid craftsmanship allowed me to enjoy the intensely juicy hops without the rough bitter edge. This beer would keep you from getting scurvy, and I found it to be an outstanding double IPA. I could drink this beer all summer, and into fall and not grow tired of it.
Mad props to mattcrill (aka Stoutness) for the opportunity to sample this world class beer. I owe you buddy!

HardTarget, Aug 01, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

First off: Big thanks to deejaydan for the chance to sample this.

Pours a cloudy, light orange-amber with a modest 1/4 inch white head.

Nose is mild but very interesting: musky apple, sawgrass, apricot, and pine.

First hit on the palate is filled with an almost delicate bitterness, the musky apple and piney characters from the nose hiding in the background. Midsip balances out very well. The alcohol is evident in the warming aftertaste here.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the carbonation is rather mild overall.

Drinkability is solid, with the only detraction being the evident alcohol feel.

Overall, this oh-so-slightly edges out Smuttynose's Imp IPA as my favorite to date.

Wyll-

wyllder, Jul 21, 2004
4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled from a bomber.

This Double IPA poured a hazy, peach-orange color with good, off-white foam that persisted and clung to the glass, leaving some lace and clumps. The smell was fruity hops with a good shot of malt and a touch of oak. The taste was hoppy with some fruitiness and a good malt balance and a hint of oak. The hop bitterness came through in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp and dry with medium-full body and moderate carbonation. The finish was very dry and hoppy. This was a very nice double IPA, though I think it is somewhat more fragrant and flavorful on tap. I would rate the drinkability higher, but at 9.5% ABV, it is dangerous to drink too many of these.

Thanks to qarre for this bottle.

UncleJimbo, Jul 10, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance – The bomber poured out a cascade of dark, hazy orange beer. The head built from the bottom. I enjoyed watching it rise through the liquid and open up at the top like a bed of tulips blooming on fast-forwarded film.

Smell – This is classic East Coast beer. The tangy, fruity hop profile is huge, supported generously with some good pine oil. The toasted malt base is loaded with rich caramel and toffee.

Taste – The monster malts come out beautifully at the taste. This beer has a big sweetness to it. Some of this comes from the sugars but I think much of it is from that over-reaching level of IBUs that pushes a hoppy beer into the land of sweets a la DFH’s 120 Minute.

Regardless, the key here is balance. You’ve got two big 450 lb sumo wrestlers engaged in combat, each unable to unseat the other. The hops and malts come together fearlessly, locked into a perpetual state of immobility. This is a battle royale.

Mouthfeel – This is bigger than medium in the body and incredibly smooth and well-blended. This beer will melt in your mouth.

Drinkability – Amazingly smooth. The ABV is undetectable. This is a winner.

Comments – Huge thanks to garthwaite for sending this one out my way. I’ve been dying to try it.

RoyalT, Jul 04, 2004
4.33/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to Buckeyenation for giving me a chance to try this brew!

Mmmm, that’s a hoppy beer! Pours a decent red gold color, with moderate white head. Particles of yeast are apparent in the beer. Smells of hops, naturally. Taste is powerful and bold, reminds me of Hopdevil. Big on the spice, bitter with a slight tang to it, this is a hop lover’s beer. Yet this beer still remains drinkable despite its punch. Highly recommended, doubly so if you are addicted to hops.

RocketWidget, Jun 28, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Orange / yellow in color with a one inch head. Some nice lacing developed. The aroma is full of floral hops and a bit of malt. The flavor is huge as kicked up malt levels are matched perfectly with the grassy hop bitterness. Citrus tones (leaning towards orange) and mildly noticeable alcohol round out the taste.

The mouthfeel was smooth and lightly syrupy. The finish was smooth but with a long riding bitterness that doesn't want to fade. Between a medium and heavy bodied brew. An absolutely exceptional brew that can be quaffed endlessly.

Gavage, Jun 22, 2004

I think what I like most about this beer is its solid nature. It is an all around solid great beer. It is not the most complex, but that works in its favor here. Sometimes, a complex beer loses points in drinkability with me because after one, my palate is tired. Not so with this one.

Dreadnaught is a beer I can enjoy immensely and still want to reach for another.

I bought this in a 22 oz bomber. The label has a crazed British soldier drinking from a metal mug labeled "I.P.A." next to him are two rather weird looking purple skinned people that are supposed to be Indian I think. Who the hell draws this stuff?!?!?

It pours a warm looking hazy golden orange with a chunky head. Lacing on the glass is evident and a paper thin layer of head floats on top of my glass all the way down.

It smells fruity, but not overpowering. Less fruity than, say, a Stone IPA. Once again, not over the top, but solid. I like that.

The taste is not overwhelming hops. It is hoppy, however. I think they did a great job of integrating the hops and malt. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually on the creamy side and not harsh. The hops last in my mouth, but are not overpowering. Food goes well with this beer (At least the feta, tomato, and spinach pizza from Trader Joe's goes well).

I wish I had some 12oz. bottles of this so I could have 3 in a night. Very nice job.

silenius, Jun 19, 2004

Another American IPA beaten to death with hops. I reckon this would be great if they toned the hops down a bit. Massive grapefruit, lychee and pine-citrus (pine-o-clean) flavours. Malts are smooth lightly sweet, but quickly (too quickly) hidden by the fatty hops. Tasted like deepfried hops in the end, little balance. I understand that its not really meant to be elegant or anything, but it could have done with some restraint or something. I don't even think i liked as much as the score i gave it.

rastaman, Jun 18, 2004
4.95/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to Uncle Jimbo for the sample!

22oz bomber. The dreadnaught is exactly as the name describes, it is fearless... it makes a beautiful thick opaque copper color followed by a nice just a tad darker than white head and makes a sticky lacing all the way down my glass. Smell is sweet of cereal malts with hints citrus fruit, but this is only a trap. Then the dreadnaught attacks with a hopped flavor like no other! It is a sweet candy coated hop cone in a glass. Full bodied and syrupy, sticky, leaving a thick coating on the mouth and throat. Drinkability? Holy crap, I just died and went to hop heaven. Just plain awesome.

Uncle Jimbo told me that this was better than the big west coast IPAs... hmm, tough call.

kmcnair, Jun 18, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Bomber bottle I was very happy to pick up on a recent trip to Maryland. Pours a lovely light golden/orangy cloudy kind of color. Alcohol, fresh fruit, hops in the nose. Suburb tan,creamy tiny bubble head. Leaving intricate, fine lacing. Flavor notes of rum soaked raisins, a ton of malt, nice crisp and balancing hops. Finish is suberb. Alcohol obviously present, warming. Yummy, yummy stuff. Wish I could purchase locally. Seek out and consume.

Billolick, Jun 17, 2004

I would have to say that this gets a perfect score. Golden orange appearance with an almost white head and nice sticky lacing drapes the glass. Sweet, citrus hops taste all the way through. Taste is vibrant with intense tropical fruits, and nice bittering hops. Alcohol is very well masked. The benchmark for which all IIPA's should be compared to.

egajdzis, Jun 13, 2004

Pours a hazy orange with a billowy white head that floats on the surface of the beer like a great big cloud. Fantastic lace sheets the glass with each sip.

A graasy, citrusy hop nose highlights the aroma of this beer. A touch of malt balances the hops nicely.

The carmel like sweetness of the malt is finished by a grassy hoppines. This is what an IPA shopuld taste like. This is the most balanced IPA I have ever tried. Neither the hops nor the malt dominate the flavor yet both standout.

This is a nice chewy beer that is not too heavy and is characterized by a slight bitter bite that lasts from beginning to end. This beer is the epitome of what a perfect beer should be.

I loved this beer and cannot wait to try this wonderful tonic again. This beer is what beer is all about. Simplicity, complexity, balance, hydration, contentment. Superb.

filabrazilia, Jun 13, 2004