Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,849
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,381 | Reviews: 1,681
4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

A- Golden brown are the only words that come to mind. Very little carbonation, and the head that was there dissipated instantaneously.

S- Sweet smell of pineapple, citrus fruits, and hops. Very similar to Pliny the Elder.

T- Heaven. I thought Pliny the Elder was my favorite DIPA of all-time, but this might take the cake in the taste category. I'm not sure if it because of the extreme freshness of this beer, but it was perfect. It is well balanced, with a nice combination of hops, malt, and citrus fruit. Unlike Pliny, the hops were a little stronger, giving it an edge that Pliny did not have.

M- Not much more you can ask for. Lightly carbonated, medium bodied. Perfect.

D- Given that DIPA's are my favorite style of beer, this is as drinkable as they come. I was tempted to open my other bomber as soon as I finished this one.

I would now like to take the time to thank Three Floyds for making this sensational beer. When I opened this bottle I was expecting something a lot different. To my surprise this definitely competes with the best of them. Highly recommended!

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

Bit of a white whale for me, been pursuing for a while and finally got it in my fridge and finally busted it out last night and shared with a buddy.

22oz bomber poured into Urthel tulip glass.

A: Apple juice appearance. Thinnest of all possible white heads. Filmy lacing, spiderweb patches. Signs of sediment point to a bottle conditioned brew.

S: Unique, dominated by citrus but there is plenty else going on. Grapefruit, spiciness, and I get something that is reminiscent from the malts I guess that makes me think of a gingerbread cookie.

T: Malty and hoppy, I was expecting a midwest hopslam type but thats not what I got. It surely held its own in the flavor dept. Piney and sweet- really just an awesome taste.

M: Oily as any IPA/DIPA Ive ever had. Very low carbonation and the oily hops left in my mouth reminded me of the Pliny experience.

D: The bomber was shared but I would have absolutely no problem taking one of these on myself. A must for any hophead. Went unbelieveably well with some soft gorgonzola.

Another fine performance from Three Floyds, looking forward to next trip to Midwest to pack some in the suitcase.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz. bomber
Golden amber - a pretty ale. Course cream colored head.
Smell is of grapefruit, citrus and some pine. Could smell a hint of cat urine.
Taste - grapefruit to start with a tropical fruit aftertaste.
Slightly thick, it does go down nicely!

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into pint glass. Murky copper bronze, nice unfiltered look. Not much head for a hard pour. No lacing.

Smell was sweet malt, cardboard and spicy hop.

Taste had carmel notes, sweet green grapes. Alcohol was a little hidden but present. Low hop bitterness throughout. Diactyl. Sweet bitter finish. Smooth mouthfell.

This beer was complicated with alot going on with the malts .Not nearly enough hop presence to call this a IIPA. I think I got a previous cold cellered beer shipped to me in a trade that may have spoiled this one. Maybe old too.
Art work on bottle was awesome. I would bet this would taste different at the brewery or state, but hey I was glad to get to try it.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. Poured a yellow-gold; translucent with a quarter inch white head. Nose is big, bold grapefruit with a sweet quality behind it. Taste follows nose - floral and piny with a citrus astringency and a lightly lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel falls between light- and medium-bodied with an even level of sparkling effervescence in the background. Incredibly well-balanced and drinkable. I'm not usually a fan of IPAs, but I'm quickly falling in love with the DIPA style.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Got this in the Comic Book BIF from SirSketch!!

Pours a really nice amber/honey color, very little head to speak of, little spots of lacing on the glass. Big citrus nose, tangerine and grapefruit, lots of gooey caramel. Taste is glorious...massive citrus notes, slightly bitter grapefruit notes, clementine orange, almost a slight mint taste in there somewhere, and all perfectly balanced with the big caramel malt flavors. Mouthfeel is just the slightest bit thin for me, but with some nice stickiness regardless. It's delicious, plain and simple.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to unclejedi for this beer.

A: Nice hazy copper color. Not that much head on it though.

S: Definately a weird nose for a DIPA. Almost smells like graham crackers. The hops are there but weird. Really hard to describe what is going on. Citrus is there but it is unlike anything else I have had.

T: I get a weird mix of biscuit malt and hops. I actually like this quite a bit. Lots of sweetness. You really do not get in in your face citrus hops like you do from west coast examples.

M: Sticky which is nice.Little bit thick. Carbonation is low but it works rather well for this beer.

D: Split a bomber and I want more. Totally different DIPA. It is hoppy but it is also super malty. This isn't like the others. Really well done. It does have a homebrew feel to it which I love.

3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

Impressive brew, not as aromatic or full bodied and texture, and the finish was Ok. But very complex and interesting from the 1st taste. Hops are complex, a friend said "Stone IPA", which isn't a bad thing. Bottled seemed fresh. I have several more and look forward to trying again and again as this brew isn't around So Cal. Alc above 9% wasn't noticable, well on the palate that is!

4.5/5  rDev +2%

got this one courtesy of a trade with TheodorHerzl, and then shared with CrellMoset and dkachur...

A: Crisp golden amber - a really nice looking pour. A great head forms on top, a bit of acreaminess to it. Leaves a great sheet.

S: Sweet grapefruit - like one cut fresh in the morning for breakfast. A rich malt backbone. Herbal notes. An excellent, smooth smelling DIPA.

T: Resin, full flavoured hops - citrus rind, herbal flavours and a big piney taste. Fabulous hop extravaganza

M: Big body, a viscosity... Not so heavy as to be like molasses, but that kinda thing going on.

D: This is the way a hopbomb should be. Great full flavour, dangerously drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -12%

Drank from a 1 PINT 6 FL OZ/22 FL OZ/650 ML bottle
Served in a snifter
Acquired in a trade with Jeager

The beer poured hazy, glowing, orangey-amber color with a creamy, bubbly, light tan, one-finger head that faded to a thin film. Lots of tiny drops of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was quite hoppy. Citrusy, spicy and semi-sweet, with strong notes of orange zest. Tropical fruits (mango and pineapple) were noticeable as well. As the beer opened up, the malt presence came out more and the aroma turned sweeter and more biscuity. Some alcohol was also detectable.

The taste was super hoppy and zesty. A rich, caramel-like sweetness (and a hint of brown sugar) came through up front before the hops took over. The hops were ultra citrusy in a sweet, candied orange peel sort of way. Spicy in the center. The hugely bitter, lingering finish consisted of a mix of pine, resin, grapefruit rind and a big alcohol kick. As the beer warmed, both the sweet maltiness up front and the intense hoppiness on the back end became more pronounced.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied (a bit thinner than I anticipated). Slightly creamy with a lively carbonation.

Drinkability was good but not great. The brutally bitter finish and the noticeable alcohol presence definitely made this one a sipper.

This was an interesting DIPA which had a flavor profile that changed drastically from start to finish. Although I enjoyed it, I was hoping for a slightly "bigger" beer that had more to offer in the way of flavor complexity and mouthfeel.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

A - seriously orangish amber and hazy

S - massive citrus hop aroma with a bunch of grapefruit in the nose. Hints of ABV. Smells bitter and awesome

T - again, massive bitter citrus mouthful. Bit more malty sweetness present in the mouth than in the nose. Really quite bitter and refreshing

M - medium bodied, but not as heavy as other DIPA's. Really quite smooth and good in the mouth

D - for a beer this strong, the drinkability is MASSIVE! ABV is pretty well hidden, and this is just deliciously bitter and awesome. One of the best DIPA's I've had in a long time. Highly recommended, and big ups to my friend from Chicago for bringing this to me

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a fogged brown/orange/slightly gold thing. Decent creme head. Nose is a citrus earthy thing. Flavor is fully on the earthy side. Touches of caramel. Loads of malt. Theres that muddy earthy thing I really like. I'd say this was really damn good on the flavor, but... Too much noticed alcohol. It doesn't blend enough IMO at first at least. Seem to get used to it eventually though and what's left is a nice earthy, full double ipa. Good carbonation and a nice liquid feel. A really smooth example of the style. Calm the booze down and there's really no need or improvement.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

***UPDATE 07/11/09***

Got a bomber of this one in the other day from Archer Liquors. I love the artwork of the 3F bottles, and this one was one I hadn't managed to hold on to before, so I ordered another. Also, it's a great brew!!

I'm gonna up the appearance score a little. I split this one w/ friends before, but now that I have a bottle of my own and can see it in its "natural environment" (a 22 oz. snifter), the head is sticky, foamy, surprisingly fine-bubbled, and uniform. It's a little more bitter than I remember it being, but I've grown more accustomed to that in the year since I've tried it. It's also a little fluffier, more "well-carbonated" than I remember it - though still very even. All in all, still one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Kudos to 3F.

***

Bottle courtesy of proteus93, split threeways at a tasting - thanks! Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A crystal clear golden amber with sparse, medium-bubbled, and mercurial effervescence. A nice, foamy, creamy one-finger head settles atop this beer and has decent staying-power. Lacing is sparse but nice-looking.

Aroma: An incredibly aromatic and wonderfully pungent hop nose on this one. Mint, dill, ruby red grapefruit, orange zest, and tobacco provide the majority of the hop notes, and agitation releases a bunch of great sweet, roasty, bready malt notes. A really fantastic smelling beer.

Taste: It's bitter, but it's also wonderfully sweet. Everything here is just "larger," kicked up a few notches from a wonderfully balanced pale ale. A nice, sweet caramel malt backbone, some nice citrus and herbal hop notes, and - unfortunately - a strange alcohol note, sort of solventy, which is this beer's only taste knock.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but wonderfully milky, creamy, smooth, and soft. Surprisingly thin - not really thin, just thinner than expected, and that's nice.

Drinkability: On par with any (D)IPA that Russian River puts out in the smell department, and pretty damn good everywhere else. I feel that the appearance probably would have been nicer if I'd had my own bottle and poured it properly into my own glass, and there was that strange alcoholy note (which in retrospect, might have just been a strange hop interaction), but by and large, what a fantastic beer. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

poured from a bottle. deep orange in color with off white head, slight lacing. smells were very citrus, slight pine. taste was malty with big hop bitterness. slight sweetness through out. carbonation was medium and perfect. overall i was impressed although the price is high at $12. thats almost 3 bottles of pliny which STILL reigns king of the DIPA. If these were $5 and under i'd drink the hell out of them. overall a great DIPA.

2.85/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to moose3285 for sending this along, I've been looking forward to trying it.

I had a Dreadnaught & an Alpha King, one of which I expected to love, one I figured would be OK. Only thing is I got them backwards.

Pours a distinct, cloudy orange with a touch of sediment swirling about & a very minimal, quick-dissipating head. Smells of hops a bit & a lot more sweet, earthy malt than I expected. Taste the same, with an almost gritty, soily taste with that sweetness coming in at th end.

Mouthfeel is very flat, almost like a high-ABV balrey- or wheatwine. The heavy malts overpowered the hops & made this somewhat muddled.

Give the great reviews, & my fondness for this style, I'd like to find this on tap someday & give it another go. But I'll pass on the bottles from here on out.

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%

After having this brew several times in the past year thought I should put a rating in for this fabulous IPA. 22oz bomber pours a hazy, dark coppery color with thin white foam that left a small amount of lace. Aroma had hints of resinous pine, lush citrus fruits, and sweet malts. The carbonation is low to medium & the body is full. The taste is a balanced mouthful of a creamy, malty, sweet finish, along with an unbelievable, intense hoppy flavor and bitterness equaled by the intensity of the richness of full bodied mega malt. This definitely is one of the best IPA's I have to date. I could drink this stuff all night!!

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Orangish brown with thin head that quickly fades away. Leaves very good lacing.

S - Sweet fruity hop smells. Peaches and grapefruit come to mind. Hints of alcohol as well. Very hop-centric aroma for sure.

T - Malty sweetness up front, little bit of caramle flavor coming through. Big hop taste comes through. Bitter taste of citrus fruit. Grapefruit, lemon, and still some peach coming through. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

M/D - Medium to full bodied. Decent carbonation. Hop resins coat the mouth. Very good tasting DIPA but the taste and booze are very strong.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

Of course I'm excited to try a DIPA from the BA Top 100. Even more so with one that is pretty scarce in these parts. Here goes....

Perfect IPA color I've come to expect. Light caramel haze. Frothy white head of mid sized bubbles.

Smells like a fresh cut lawn in a rich neighborhood.

Tastes like a fresh cut lawn in a rich neighborhood, only better. Very strong hop, just as I had hoped for. None of the sick sweetness that plagues a lesser brew.

Fairly delicious although I don't detect anything magical in this one.

Overall: worth a try, but don't break your arm in the search.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz bottle that OHLRangers picked up for me at the brewpub recently. My previous bottle (review below) was about 6 months old and I'm re-reviewing it to reflect the fresh bottle I have. Into my Duvel tulip

A: Orange/ light amber with a one-finger off-white head. Decent retention, this leaves some lace.

S: I get alphonso mangoes right off the bat with some peachy fruitiness. The mango is ridiculously prominent, though. Not much else going on here.

T: Starts off moderately bitter with some grapefruit bitterness along with the mango and peach that's jumping straight into my face. Moderate malt sweetness comes through with a bitter-sweet finish coming through. The alcohol's noticeable on the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with good carbonation and a nice bitter finish but the alcohol heat does detract from this beer.

D: I'm having no problems drinking (and finishing) this beer but at this price, there's other DIPAs I'll be drinking more regularly. This is a nice treat, though

22oz bottle, 3/4ths poured into my 26oz wine glass( Bottle acquired ~ August 07, consumed Feb-Mar 08)

A: Deep caramel-ruby red with an off white frothy head. not much carbonation is apparent (4/5)

S: Surprisingly malty with tons of caramel, toffee and hints of alcohol and mango. The hops are not an assault here (4/5)

T: Barleywine-like rather than IIPA like. The hops are definitely mellowed out here. That said, it's still delicious. It starts out mildly hoppy, takes a turn when the malts come in - there's tons of caramel here. The finish is a little sweet (not cloyingly) and a little hoppy. Not the best for the style but still a very good beer (4/5)

M: Silky smooth, velvet-like. Excellent (5/5)

D: The alcohol is well hidden but you might want to watch out as you enjoy this very drinkable beer (4/5)

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

22oz bomber poured into oversized wine glass

A- Very dark gold/light brown and slightly cloudy. Baseline head with nice hanging lacing.

S- Malty with hints of hops but nothing overpowering.

T- Holy Malts - Taste is great. The slight alcohol hits you at the very end, burying the 9.9% ABV. Caramel malt with woody crispness. Not very hoppy. But the malts are very interesting.

Mouth feel - This is a very silky beer in the front and middle, the hops hit you in the back and the alcohol hits right in deepest trenches of your throat (this dissipates as it warms up). The malt silkiness lingers. Very impressive.

D - Very Drinkable- The silky smoothness wants you to keep sipping. The taste will allow you to put back a couple of these bombers. But the ABV will catch up to you.

A very good Imperial IPA...Three Floyds Rocks (SEND DISTRIBUTION BACK TO PA!!!!)

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%

Since today is my birthday I decided to celebrate by cracking open something special. I received this in a trade from bakerslp, and have been very much looking forward to it ever since. I poured the 22oz. bomber into a Duvel tulip glass to get as much nuance as I can from this highly-hyped beer.

A: Beer is hazy and copper-colored with a one-finger head of off-white foam. Thin white lacing clings well to the glass. Nothing overly special here.

S: LOADS of fresh hop resin, some bitter citrus rind, fresh pine smack you in the nose so forcefully it's hard to pick it all out. A faint whiff of alcohol is also noticeable amid a sweet malty base.

T/M: Extremely hoppy, yet very balanced. The sweet, sticky malt base and citrus hops balance out nicely with the bitter piney hops to create a complex, yet easy-to-drink brew. While the hops don't want to seem to quit in this beer, they never become overpowering. Sweetness tends to build over time and borders on being cloying, but helps to balance out the beating the hops could give your palate otherwise. Overall mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, but the lack of carbonation (as evidenced by the quickly fading head) does border on being syrupy.

D/O: This is a very easy beer to drink despite the ABV. A warming alcohol sensation greets your stomach as you reach the bottom of the bottle, but you barely notice it as you're drinking. Overall I really enjoyed how complex and balanced a brew this was, but was hoping for a little bit more in the way of appearance (head, retention, lacing), smell and mouthfeel given the hype. That's not to say that this isn't one of the finest DIPAs available (it is), but there are plenty that I can readily get in PA that I feel are equal or better.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Had this on tap at the brew pub. Appearance is golden with thin head. Was served in a small glass. Wonderful hoppy aroma. Clarity reminded me of whisky for some reason. Head was thin. Tasted very bitter with a touch of peach. Packs a real kick but doesn't taste strong. Was served a fairly warm temperature, which I normally don't like, but was wonderful in this instance.

Might be the best beer I've ever had. I bought 4 22oz bottles to take home. Bottled Dreadnaught is just as good as draft. My first visit to Three floyds Brewpub and will definitely go back. Food was awesome.

Makes my normal beer of choice, Goose Island IPA taste like Miller Light.

Beer gives me unbelievable beer farts.

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer poured a cloudy brown/orange with a quickly falling head.

S:The aroma is a blend of hops, citrus and malt smell. Nice blend.

T: The taste is fruity and bitter with malt present for balance.

M: The mouthfeel is full and creamy. Excellent for this beer.

D: This beer has great balance for a big brew. Very easy to drink - will be looking for again.

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

WOW! Deep hazy orange, creamy white head. Nose is full of sticky sweet pine, grapefruit, caramel and a hint of apricot. Flavor is an intense hoppy bitterness with a sweet rich malty backbone for balance. WOW! Full bodied, soft carbonation, smooth, bitter-sweet dry finish. Now I know what all the fuss was about.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

Got this bad-boy as an extra from Jeager.

Pours a light hazy amber, with a smallish offwhite head that discipates pretty quickly, but hangs around slightly.
Smells like a DIPA should...very full and powerful, yet not overpowering. I first get a good whiff of some nice, sweet malts...then the juicy hops come forward in full force. If it tastes half as good as it smells..
The taste is fantastic. I initially pick up the malty goodness, and then the malts step aside for the hops. Very nice not to be overpowered with the initial sip, you have time to savor all the flavor.
The mouthfeel is great as well. Slightly thick, with some nice sticky hop action. Leaves a very pleasent DIPA aftertaste, anticipating the next sip.
This one is dangerously drinkable for 9.2% It shouldn't be a problem though, as this is one I'm going to savor. I'll definately be picking up as many bombers of this as I can when I head to Chi-town in October. F-ing delicious!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.