Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,785
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros

In an effort to try some of the best according to BA subscribers, I went to Vintage Wine and Beer and bought a 750ml of Dreadnaught. Three Floyds is known for brewing some great brews so I was very excited to try this one. I was able to share this and some other great brews during a tasting night with two of my good buddies. We saved this for last because we knew our palates would all used up after drinking this famous DIPA.

A--This is an attractive beer. I would term it a "radioactive orange" It is deep and bright, almost peach color.

S--Surprise on this...Hops! Lots of hops for certain. However, you smell a sweet nectar eminating from it also, it is distinct and impressive.

T--This is crazy. I have never tasted an IPA like this in my life. It is very unique in flavor. I cant get past the sweet tones in the palate, it is something you dont get everyday.

M--Non-distinguishable. Not especially smooth or notable.

D--Wild beer. I really liked this one a lot. The only hangup I might have is a had a variety of the finest in the world and by the point I got to this, I was pretty knackered. Might not be 100% fair to this one but still, a must try.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

received in a trade with tpd975, much appreciated!

all i have to say about this beer is DAMN, it absolutely sucks that we can't get this beer out here...very, very awesome double IPA, that is very well balanced...you can definitely smell the hops as soon as you pour this in the glass, very nice pine and citrus smell...while i expected to be kicked in the mouth with the hops i was very surprised at how balanced it really was...you could definitely taste the strong hop presence, but it was very well balanced with a great honey flavor...will definitely be trying to get my hand on some more of these!

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

22-ounce bottle, shared with fellow anonymous northern Colorado B-A. Thanks for hooking me up!

Appearance is solid cloudy orange under an ample white head. Head fades to a thin cap and stays. Apparent carbonation. Pretty beer!

Smell is huge: all floral and pine hops over a solid cracker malt and bread-dough base. Mmmm. This smells mighty good.

Taste has a great malty-sweet foundation up front, then hops, hops, hops kick in. Not just bittering hops, but nice floral and piney hops. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth and nicely slick. Evident hop oils. So smoooth, with notable and fine carbonation.

Drinkability is excellent. So many complex flavors happening here, you palate stays occupied. The alcohol is completely hidden. I never would have guessed this thing is 9.5%.

Another home run by Three Floyds! Well done.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

I recieved this in a trade from jdoolin, Poured into my De Garre snifter.

A - Pours amurky amber orange, the first pour revealed only the slightest head (even after a vigorous pour) and barely any carbonation bubble, lacing, etc...
- The second pour had a nice 1.5 finger head... it looked like a proper beer

S - Big earthy hop aroma wiht a hint of pine complemented by a big sweetness.

T - A great tasting DIPA. Of course it has a huge hop presence in the beginning, sweet middle,with a lingering hop bitterness. But there is also a nice nutty presence... toasted almond. As it warms it actually has a drier finish; the sweetness fades slightly, revealing a more hoppy beer, almost a pireceing bitterness ... excellent.

M - Medium bodied, despite the light carbonation. It could be a bit more carbonated ( that might would have brought out moreof the aroma) but it had a nice feel, nonetheless.

D - Despite the huge flavor and the big alcohol punch this is quite drinkable. A very well made beer, balanced but enormous flavor.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Clear orange with a fast-fading head.

Juicy, organic aroma nearly pours off the beer...leafy hops, medium malts, molasses, and something like chicken barbeque.

Taste is huge with leafy and floral hops, succulent malt (for some reason I get a twinge of barbequed poultry again. No food is present to skew my tasting, and it's a good flavor but odd.) Alcohol is readily apparent with a mild sting, and it resonates hop bitterness far into the aftertaste. Some woody, almost oaken notes show up at times as well. Slight saltwater notes as well.

A true ass-kicker of a DIPA, right up there with Southern Tier Unearthly and Stone Ruination. Only hopheads need apply, yet there's a good, complex brew under the monster hops and alcohol.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

excellent

not picking on anyone...two reviewers earlier said it smelled like a ho flower...hmm i used to know her...anywho this is one beautiful beer. excellent flava, excellent smell and body, color was lighter than expected but rich. nice head and carbonation.

this is a keeper. wonderful tasting beer.

likely in my top 5 in IPA.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

A- A beautiful gold liquid fills the glass. It is slightly cloudy, just how I like it. The drawback is the tiny head that formed and then settled to almost nothing- leaving a fairly lonely looking liquid in the glass.

S- Now this is just about right. Some pine (but not harsh at all, this is beautiful), some grapefruit, slightly earthy with a great malt backing. Kind of sweet, but very unique.

T- Amazing. Just like the smell, but way more intense and complex. Sweet and bitter at the same time, but nothing overwhelms. Very well balanced.

M- Perfect amount of carbonation and lightness on the palate. Not overly cloying, just enough lasting bitterness to let you know what it is going down.

D- What a stellar beverage. I was not so awed by this my first time around, but hey- this sort of gives HopSlam a run for its money.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Very hazy orange as I poor it into my glass. Small to medium head as I wait for the beer to settle. Very good to look at. Very orange with a cloudy/amber haze.

S-Before it hits the lips I smell tremendous hops, orange, and grapefruit that makes you want to dive right in.

T-it's almost sweet, but the hops hit you before the sweetness sets in. You can taste the obvious hops and they give the beer a unique flavor, but do not overpower the beer.

M-Once it's in the mouth it is much thicker than the color would suggest.

D-This is one of the best beers in it's category. Although it has a high ABV it is very drinkable, which makes it a little dangerous.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

I flew to Chicago and drove to Munster, Indiana for this beer. After loading the rent-a-suv, I drove straight home, to Boston with it.

This I.P.A. Came in a 22oz. Bomber. Once poured (into one of those new engineered Sam Adams glasses) the head is small and disappears quickly. The beer has a fairly floral hop aroma.

It has a very fruity hop flavor that lingers for a few moments. You will honestly want another gulp and then another glass. It feels a little filling in your mouth with the pops of various fruit and that delicious hops. Once down the hatch you quickly find a beer that isn't as filling as you'd assume.

I find this beer to be an awesome example of what an IPA should be. Hoppy floral aromas with a fruit/hoppy taste and after taste that doesn't overwhelm. This beer aims to please the hop head with making you feel like you're chewing on hops. Over-all an aweseome beer. Heck I flew to Chicago and drove to the brew pub to buy this stuff. Then drove home 18 straight hours for it.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

Out bounces a vibrant, golden-orange colored brew with no carbonation and a thin wisp of white foam up top. Good depth to the color, despite the transparency (there's a lot of light getting through this beer). The aroma is absolutely intoxicating: fresh, piney hops, a touch of ganja, alcohol, sugary molasses, spice, and (of course) tons of grapefruit, tangerine and mango notes. I'd give the smell a 5.5 if I could.

The taste is decadent as well. There are oily, syrupy notes of resinous hops paired with sweet malted toffee and citrus (lots of grapefruit, again). The alcohol makes an appearance, but not overwhelmingly so. Mouthfeel is very viscous, almost to the point of excessiveness. I enjoyed this beer more when it was cooler (~35 F vs. 45 F). The aftertase is good, but the alcohol seems to play a bigger role than the bitterness of the hops, producing a more pungent feel that I would have liked. This is just a nit-pick, however, as the mouthfeel still ranks highly. Overall, this beer is absolutely drinkable, enjoyable, and complex. The hops burst through, but are not without their complements of sweetened malts and alcoholic overtures. Definitely worth the price tag, and worth searching out again.

3.88/5  rDev -12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear dark amber with a healthy three finger off white head that leaves some lacing around the top of the glass. Citrus and malt aroma, hints of soy sauce and pineapple. Tons of flavor, first taste is hops, then dark caramel, then malt and soy sauce. Thick after taste with less citrus and more something or other, can’t really put my tongue on it. It leaves the taste of Fall in the back of my mouth. Could use some more hops, and a little less malt. Not my favorite beer but still one of the most interesting I have ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to Talisker for the trade! The beer poured a semi-hazy copper orange with a thin head that slowly diminishes to a ring. The aroma is a strong blend of pine hops and sweet malts. The taste is dominated by an absolutely wonderful blend of hops against a strong malt backbone. Pine dominates but makes way for some undertoned citrus. There is a decent alcohol presence, but it is strongly masked by the beers great taste, making a heavy beer seem lighter than it is, and also making it incredibly easy to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Jay23 for this prestigious brew.

This beer falls a hazy pale orange into my snifter, topped with a nice 3 finger head. Incredible lacing and good retention.

Sweet grapefruit, pine sap, biscuity malt, some sweeter citruses like tangerine and orange on the nose.

Hops obviously control the show here, but the range of hop flavors keeps it from being overly one-dimensional. Obviously grapefruit has a strong presence, as well as orange, citrus zest, and maybe even peach. A decent amount of malt futilely fights the whirlwind of hops.

The carbonation really is perfect. I can't imagine a more finely carbonated IPA. I spent about as much time swirling the beer around the glass and watching the cascades of lacing form and dissolve as I did drinking! Mesmerizing stuff. Great brew.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Many thanks to kssweene for this legendary brew

Finally time to pop this one open...here goes!

A - Beer pours out a medium light orange color, completely opaque. Head is bright white and fades to a thick film, thicker in the center. Lacing is medium, 4 or 5 very thick, short patches form around the tulip rim.

S - Very fragrant scent on this one, a complex twist of malts and hops coming together very sweet, spicy and bitter in the end. Malts are very cereal-like, and there's definitely a hot cayenne pepper like spice in there.

T - Starts light and sweet with a nice bitterness, thick and chewy. Very quickly comes a hot spiciness, then sugary sweet and grapefruit-like hops. Cereal malts supporting everything in the background. There is a very light warming alcohol which gives it a bit of a barleywine aspect, it's not too overpowering though.

M - Consistency is actually pretty thick, carbonation is medium to light. Smooth all together.

D - Overall, I'm definitely satisfied with this beer, I believe it lives up to its rating. My only complaints are that I wanted to see a bigger hop presence but I'm sure if it was fresher, it would be more hoppy. Still though, this is one hell of a beer.

3.68/5  rDev -16.6%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a deep orange with an almost copper appearance. A small white head is present with decent lacing.

S: Very hoppy in the nose. Pine, citrus are dominant.

T: It starts off sweet but the hops hit you hard and it is bitter but it seems to fit. I also got some strange taste in the finish, almost a fishy taste. The alcohol is well hidden. A very aggressive beer but in a very good way.

D: It is a very solid beer but it didn't impress me all the at much. Avery's Maharaja and DFH 90 minute are a cut above this one in my eyes, but still definitely worth a try.

One and a half thumbs up.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Another beer purchased for me by my brother. Boy am I glad he works right down the road from 3 Floyd's

A: Copper Orange with a small head, some tiny bubbles and sticky lacing.

S: A true hop bomb. Pine and Citrus waft from the glass in a big way.

T: Initial sweetness followed by an explosion of the pine and grapefruit of the hops. You can taste the alcohol in this one. This is a big beer, aggressive and in your face.

M: Very thick moutfeel, you can chew on this bad boy.

D: I will stop at one here. It is a very straightforward example of a DIPA, but drinking more than one would put you down for the count.

Overall: Good example of a DIPA. In true 3 Floyd's fashion there is nothing subtle here. They came out swinging for the fences with this one and if not a home run, its at least off with wall with extra bases. Not the bestDIPA/ IPA out there I prefer a few others most noteably Alesmith, DFH 90 but a wonderful brew nonetheless. Get your hands on one, its a true 3 Floyd's experience.

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

$9,89/bomber Kwik Liquor North Green River Rd. Evansville, Ind. USA
I ended up liking this more than I initially thought I would. I know there is quite a bit of hype surrounding this one, but I typically don't get excited over this sort of beer like your hop-head types do. I wasn't too terribly impressed with its appearance. A fairly aggressive pour with a good bit of distance between the bottle and the glass yielded a very meager head. What foam was there, vanished in about 20 seconds. Smell was exactly where it probably should be with loads of piney, citrusy hops.
I must admit, the taste was better balanced than I thought it would be, with an assertive, bitter hop profile up front and into the middle, and a nice almost candy sweet maltiness to smooth things out. Very nice, indeed.
I gave drinakability high marks on this one due to the fact that were I to guess the abv having no knowledge of this beer, I would say low 7's, perhaps 7,1, 7,3 something like that. This drinks well below 9,5% for sure. I'm really glad I had the chance to try this one out, and regret I have only two of these, well, one now.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

22 ounce bottle, not sure how old it is but I know I've had it a while. The Dreadnaught pours an orange/copper color with a half inch off-white head. The aroma is very nice, the pine and citrusy (grapefruit) hops are strong, with a bit of malt in there too. Taste is mostly piney hops, with some grapefruit hops and sweet malt noticeable. It starts off a bit sweet, and has a nice hoppy bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very full, and it's also slick, smooth and a bit syrupy. Carbonation is low and the alcohol isn't very noticable which makes this very easy to drink. Overall I think this is a very good beer. If you get the chance to try it, you definitely should.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours a copper color with a nice tan head

S - Piney Hops dominate, with a hint of grapefruit citrus

T - Sweet at first, Piney Hops, Dry hop bitterness at the end with some mild sweetness

M - Very Thick Full Bodied, Alcohol, Not Much Carbonation

D - Would be higher but the alcohol isn't mask as well as expected

3.68/5  rDev -16.6%

Been waiting a long time to sample and review this one and finally got a 22 oz. bomber to split with a friend last night. Let's see if this brew is really up to all the hype I've read about it. This sample was a 2006 vintage.

The pour produces a copper colored brew, topped with a foamy, tan head of considerable size, with shrinks to just a thin top which lasts to the bottom of the glass. Holding to the light, the sample is very clear, with only a few tiny bubbles of carbonation rising to the top. Some lacing occurs on the side of the glass.

The nose is HUGE with hops. I repeatedly put my nose into the
top of the glass to try to extract any subtle nuances of a malt character, but to little effect. All you will inhale is hops and more hops (nirvana to a hop head). I was hoping for a little balance, or even a trace of malt in the nose. There is none.

Taste follows the nose in the extreme. The hop flavors are pronounced and in your face. Mostly piney, there is also some grapefruit in the background taste. If you are looking for some maltiness to offset the extreme hoppiness, you won't find any.
Finish is lip-smackingly dry.

Mouthfeel is big and almost chewy. The high ABV is also noticeable, but not entirely objectionable. The beer is what it is ... an American Double IPA, and one has to expect certain characteristics that are typical of the style.

Drinkability is, in my opinion, on the low end of the scale. First of all, this is a huge beer, and should be enjoyed responsibly. The overpowering hoppiness, without a hint of maltiness is, to me, a little bit disappointing. There are many American DIPAs out there which are much more balanced, and more quaffable. My impression is that Three Floyds was just interested in creating a huge 'hop bomb'. In this they succeeded. However, given a choice, I'd enjoy a Ruination or DFH 90 Minute far more than this offering. If you are a fan of the style, it's definitely worth a shot.

Cheers

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dreadnaught, thanks to Westweasel. Decided to review this one tenth on my one year anniversary as a BA member. :-) Cheers!

A- Perfect double IPA appearance. Slightly hazy orange With three fingers of tight white head that laces beautifully.

S- Wonderful sweet malt with balancing piney aromatic hops that make for a thoroughly enjoyable nose. Equally sweet and bitter, perfectly balanced, and exceptional.

T- Sweet honey-like maltiness up front, with bitter green wood pine hops following quickly, and leaving a wonderful impression on the palette. Not much more than that, but it's so well-balanced and tasty as to be quite possibly the best DIPA I've had.

M- Smooth, creamy, and satisfying. Medium carbonation and a smooth, slightly dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

D- One of the tastiest and most drinkable DIPA's.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to Monsone, genog, and Reed415 for this amazing brew.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a nice fluffy two finger off white head that dies down to a thin layer soon after pour. Lacing is very sticky all over the glass. Smell is a blast of pineapple and fresh pine. Hop dominated scent with a hint of bready malt that tickles the nose. Flavor is definitely not what I had expected. Pretty mild orange/mandarine hop burst at first that is balanced out by a very nice pale malt. Aftertaste is somewhat dry, but not over-dry by any means. By far the smoothest DIPA I have had to date. Full bodied with mild carbonation. Drinkability is scary good, gets even easier to drink as it warms a bit. My first sample from FFF, can't wait to get my hands on some more. Get your hands on this one by any means possible. Give up your first born if necessary.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the FFF brewpub. Served in a bowtie glass. Pours a deep hazy orange with a small beige diminishing head. Leaves some nice thick lacing. Aroma is heavy on the hops with some sweet peach and grapefruit undertones. Medium to full body. Taste is hops, pine and peach. Very satisfying beer. Nice bitter finish with lasting peach taste. This beer lives up to it’s strong reputation. One of my favorites.

3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod for sharing this on my Midwest visit.

Pours a dark orange-amber with small head that recedes to a ring with little lacing--typical ADIPA color.

Aroma is a sweet and aromatic hoppy mix, grapefruit and pine, but cooked, mellowed, a hint of funk. Creamy mouthfeel from the high ABV and soft carbonation.

On the palate there is a sweetness and slight funk that may hint at some poor transport or storage in its history. However the roasted pineapple, smoothly bitter finish balanced by this swetness, and the funk is actually pleasing and complex rather than being a distraction. Other 3F products brought from Chicago showed no spoilage so I can believe that this is the effect the 3F were going for. A mellow, sweet, highly aromatic DIPA that is a nice example of the style. The sweetness and high ABV detract from the drinakbility a tad for me but I usually like IPAs more than DIPAs.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

First and foremost, this is a great beer but I do believe there are better DIPA's out there...I've had a few I thought were better already.

Pours a dark amber with a near inch thick head and nice carbonation. Sticky lacing after the head dwindles to a thin, staying layer. Smell is somewhat muted and this isn't too cold. Big spicy grapefruit citrus...very interesting for sure but not as strong as many others, though still lovely. Taste is big on juicy citrus hops with a little bitterness but there is still a great use of sweetness and again a little spice with the malts. I don't find it to be overdone on either side, although it is different. I love the mouthfeel of this one. Sticky, creamy, tingly, everything that reminds me of an exceptional DIPA feel. Nice drinkability, this is one that I can handle on almost any day and offers something pretty unique to the world of DIPA's. I probably won't get to try it again any time soon but very recommended and one I'll probably keep on my wants list...

Thanks goes to jmp30 for this treat.

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub