Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,780
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed golden copper. Creamy one finger head showing decent retention and producing minimal lacing. The first whiff is of sticky cannabis buds. As it warms, aromas of peach skin, grapefruit rind, floral citrus, and fresh cut grass blend together to form a corniacopia of american hop madness. Also detectable behind the hops is a toasty malt aroma and faint buiscuity notes. The flavor is sweet at first, with caramel, pale malt, and a subdued nutty flavor. Then an onslaught of herbal, minty, and pine hop flavors. The Aftertaste eventually dries, with a peachy/orange taste lingering and a sharp alpha acid sting that only true hop-heads could call "balance". The body is medium-full, and a fine, slow-moving carbonation keeps the mouthfeel fliud enough to allow ease of consumption, while qualifying the syrupy viscosity expected of DIPA's and Barleywines. Finshes with substantial residual toasted malt character and a myraid of american hop complexity to match. A real eye-opener as to what a DIPA can be.

PBRstreetgang, Jan 28, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Presentation: A 22oz bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: A nice orange in colour brew with a thin white lace that does an excellent job of sticking to the glass.

Smell: A massive whiff of fresh hops. With hints of pine and citric overtures.

Taste: From the second I sipped this brew your tongue is hit with the massive hop bitterness that makes this IPA great. The sweetness does come sneaking up from the Back of your tongue. The higher alcohol content does not interfere with the taste at all but does give you a nice warm feeling.

Mouth-Feel: A light carbonation with a nice smooth feeling that finishes nice and bitter.

Drink-Ability: A great IPA that I think is the best one out there by far.

mnesporov, Jan 26, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from bomber into a tulip glass

Golden amber in appearance with a slight haze. The amber color really shows through in the right light. Beautiful

Smell is piney hops with some sweetness getting through. Slight aroma of apples and oranges as well.

Taste is all hops. Leaning heavily toward the bitter end. Grapefruit after. Proper DIPA

Mouthfeel is slick, oily hop resins

Drinkability is good, but not quite sessionable. This beer is heavy and filling. I would consider this a special occasion beer.

This is a delicious beverage and I definitely recommend it, even for the $9 price tag in OH.

Daehpoh, Jan 26, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

I've recently acquired quite an appreciation for big IPAs and just had to try one of the best there is out there.

APPEARANCE: Pours a beautiful orange straw color with a small white head which lingers momentarily, but subsides to a small ring around the glass with patches of light lacing.

SMELL: The moment I cracked the cap, a rush of piny hop aromas came rushing at me. A full whiff yields strong citrus notes with pine and grass playing backup, and even some hints of a wonderfully sweet maltiness.

TASTE: The first splash on your tongue assaults it with an amazing rush of hop bitterness and sweet alcohol. The selection of hops is absolutely perfect, and the bitterness is strong without being offensive at all. The finish is surprisingly clean with slight lingering alcoholic notes and, of course, some residual hop flavor. This beer has a strange sweetness to it which I did not expect. Some of it seems to come from the wonderful flavors of the hops, but I think a small portion of the sweetness is misplaced. It doesn't take away from the overall taste of the beer. It just seems like the flavors are not characteristic of malt, but of some other sweetness-adding ingredient. A minor nitpick, however, in what is a phenomenal brew.

MOUTHFEEL: Thick and syrupy, with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Coats the entire mouth with each sip.

DRINKABILITY: Quite good. It's amazing how easy it goes down despite the "doubleness" of this beer. Another bomber of this would not be out of the question.

My first beer from Three Floyds did not disappoint. The most striking thing about this beer was how easy drinking it was. Any harshness is completely nonexistent leaving a very smooth beer which hides its 9.5% ABV very well. Get this if you can find it!

jmalex, Jan 21, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +5%

Poured from bomber into my Dogfish pint glass.
Pours a hazy ruby/light brown color with almost no head at all. Slight rings of lace around the top of the glass.
Smell is hops. Juicy, citrusy, piney and floral! This is really a very good smelling beer. The smell itself lets me know that I've got something good here.
Taste is incredible. Everything one should look for in a DIPA and then some. It slams your tastebuds with a wide array of hops and a slight alcohol sense. With a pretty bitter taste coming through midway to the end. It all finishes clean and juicy, making you reach for the glass wanting another drink.
Mouthfeel is is perfect. Not too thick, not too thin. Just right. A good amount of carbonation and malt to balance this out. I was expecting a really bitter overly hopped beer. But this is really balanced and very, very good.
I don't think I would want to drink more than a bomber of this in a sitting. I'm quickly becoming a bigger fan of Three Floyd's with every beer I try. If you haven't tried this one, you haven't had the best DIPA yet.

FtownThrowDown, Jan 20, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to a friend, Nic, I finally got to try this beer!

Appearance: Poured very orange in color, with a white head that was short lived. Much clearer than I expected after reading the bottle about the haze.

Smell: The aroma was very strong, even from the bottle. I was surprised to find the aroma a good mix of my favorite IPA smells, floral, citrusy, and piney. Amazing hop aroma.

Taste: The hops are definitely in control in the taste, as one would expect. The citrusy of the hops is dominant but I am still getting a piney taste as well. The beer shows its malt well and helps bring some balance to the beer, especially as it warms. I have to say, this is a perfectly tasting DIPA.

Mouthfeel: medium/thick in body, but certainly nothing overwhelming.

Drinkability: For the amazing taste, this beer for me is highly drinkable, I really wish it was available here in VA. Absolutely one of the very best DIPA's I have ever had.

tattooedtolley, Jan 17, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz. bottle poured a hazed peach color with small white head and leaves a few specks of lace. Smells a bit sweet and malty with a strange funky odor that might be yeast. This isn't the hop bomb I thought it would be, it seems more balanced with a bit of sweet malt at first and a slight hop bitterness towards the end. I also taste alot of yeast in this brew and it seems to hide the hops and give it a thick feel. Overall I would have to say that its easy to drink but doesn't seem to fit the style (double IPA) so much. I'll try this one again if I can find it.

Alkey, Jan 16, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +10%

22 ounce bottle from the glorious Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora, CA (A good 50 miles away from me). The guys in front of me bought a case of Miller Lite for just over half the price. I think I got a better deal.

Appearance: The pour is a fiery orange with a small white head that almost covers the body.

Smell: I smelled the cap after I opened the bottle and wow, I knew I was in for an olfactory treat. There's a ton of grapefruit, lemon and pine on top of sweet caramel.

Taste: The flavor profile starts out as a fairly balanced blend of oily hops, floral, citrus, and resinous pine, and sweet, almost sugary, caramel malts. The taste starts to expand and take shape as a hop forward, yet all around big, elixir in the middle. Here's the coup de grace: Hop bitterness explodes in a delightful fury at the finish. This can hang with the best of the West (I can rhyme anytime).

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and slightly sticky with super lively carbonation.

Drinkability: I can feel the ABV, but I can't taste it. I'm not really getting the vicious assault that other BA's have reported. I'd love to have several more bottles to drink myself into a blackout followed by a comatose hibernation. Can somebody spot me the $90? If the price wasn't so ridiculous and the availability wasn't so limited, I would keep Dreadnaught around a lot of the time. F--- you Three Floyds for standing in the way of our love!

goschool, Jan 12, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from a 22oz bomber into a tall weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a very deep orange and copper hue. A slightly off white head rose to about 2 fingers and then subsided rather quickly. The beer is a little cloudy so the beading is a bit tough to see but it is there.

Smell: Very expressive peach and citrus aromas abound. The hop aromas are not very spicy but rather floral. A nice sweet malty smell fights its way up through hoppy and alcoholic aromas.

Taste: This is absolutley stunning. I took a generous mouthfull on the first taste, stinging alcohol/hop/citrus burned the insides of my cheeks. Very bitter while not being overly aggressive. Waves of grapefruit, oranges and peaches. After a few more sipps the sting subsided and the flavors all come together. As this beer gets warmer, the ample malt bill is coming through in the form of some caramel and maybe a little toffee. Just delicious.

Mouthfeel: Not as full as some other DIPAS but still ample. I would say this body leans towards the fatter side of medium. Rather dry in the finish.

Drinkability: This beer is like a Grizzley in a balarena outfit. Hugley powerful and expressive yet light nimble and balanced. A true masterwork and possibly the pinnacle of the style. One of the best DIPAS in the world.

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Jan 08, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

This is one good IPA. Poured a clear golden yellow in the off light and a reddish orange in the direct light. 1/4" head that disappears quickly. Smells grassy with apple sense. Tastes like a bitter apple with the sweetness of a grape. Hops hit you like a pillow fight and make you sit back and relax. This is how hops should act. Shock your mouth then level off into a flavorfull film on the tongue. Mouthfeel is a tinge creamy but more like skim milk, but so flavorfull it makes up for the thin body. Alcohol level is extremely well hidden and as of now I could drink many more of these. Luckily I only have one as I have to work tomorrow and if I had more than one I probably wouldn't get up! Overall, this is one good IPA, enjoyable and too overpowering.

stouty1, Jan 03, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +7%

Appearance:
The beer pours a bright high copper color in to a tulip. There wasn't any head to this bottle so as such there was no lacing or retention to mention.

Smell:
The scent is potent and truly pleasing. There's strong sweet apricot notes with a tart granny smith apple kick underneath.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
This is what 9.5% ABV should taste like, anything but alcohol. There's a lot of apricot and caramel malt sweetness which completely mask what is a rather high ABV. Even better they managed to pack in a lot of hops with only a mild amount of bitterness at the beginning of the drink. The beer drinks a little on the viscous side almost like a milk mouthfeel. This beer tastes like the freshest homebrew I've ever had.

Drinkability:
Aside from awesome flavor the only thing taking away from this beer's sheer poundability is the high ABV. A couple bombers of this and you will be on your ass.

Bottom Line:
It's just one of those beers that lives up to the hype IMO. I never thought I would like any FFF product more than Alpha King but this beer is some serious competition for that highly regarded spot.

Grundle20, Jan 02, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep copper color with a very thin head. Lacing was superb

Smell: Hops Hops Hops - Piny, Resiny and and Citrusy

Taste: Bone crushing bitter from start to finish. Malty sweetness was smacked down by the bitterness. I just found the bitterness to much

Mouth-Feel : Thick and syrupy - what I've come to expect from a Double IPA

Drink-ability : Over the top bitterness from start to finish made this a difficult beer for me to finish. I'm glad I had it with a meal. I would not have liked this one by itself. I I much prefer the Goose Island Imperial IPA and Dog Fish 90 minute IPA to this one.

pmatz2, Jan 02, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into La Chouffe and Loterbol tulips. This review assisted by Dr. Brian (PurdueDoc).

A: Pours a hazy peach color. Off-white one finger head that leaves massive amonts of sticky lace.

S: Aromas of peach, caramel, orange peel, and of course, HOPS.

T: Huge hops balanced by a sweet caramel malt flavor countered by grassy, green hops. Big grapefruit flavor, also. Nicy tangy & spicy hop finish. What happened to the alcohol?

M: Full bodied, oily, and slick. Not at all syrup-y.

D: Such fantastic balance between huge hops, huge malt, and fruity sweetness. Drinkability is friggin' treacherous!

GbVDave, Dec 31, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

damn tasty double IPA. pours a rosy amber colour that's beautiful, but less head than expected for a extra hoppy beer. to best describe the smell and taste, imagine sticking your head into a barrel of freshly picked hops and breathing in. the mouthfeel lacks the appropriate bitterness for the style, but that makes for better drinkability. this beer is a must try.

jpagewatts, Dec 30, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +7%

Served from a 22oz. bomber in a Duvel tulip at just below cellar temperature.

A - Against white backlight and during the pour, this beer has the luminescence you'd see from yellow highlighter ink on glass. Wicked. In the glass, it takes on a toasted orange hue with a fair amount of haze. Head is medium to small bubbled, off-white and rises to about 1/2 an inch. Lacing is sporadic and sappy -- but amazing legs! Head diminishes to a filmy island after a few minutes., and leaves a thick and persistent ring around the outside of the glass.

S - Even though the floral and cirtus zephyr that rises from the glass can be detected from over a foot away, the roasted caramel malt backbone still mamges to muscle it's way into the nose. The hops smell bright and fresh. The malts are hearty. Great balance. Great smell.

T - Nice presentation on the lightly toasted malts on the tip of the tongue. Sweet and round. In the middle, the grapefruit hoppiness begins it's descent, but rather than pushing the malts out of the way, the hops seem to meld with them, creating a balance that's sublime. The finish is sweet and citrusy with a bit of wild honey. The aftertaste is only a tinge yeasty, and citrus-peel bitter. Alcohol is detectable, but only in very minute amounts.

M - Slick and thick on the way in, rising gently to a beautiful cascade of seafoam. The swallow is completely satisfying. Just the way I like it!

D - Again, Three Floyd's has proved themselves to be a monster in the craft brew industry, not only with their really cool names and labels, but more importantly with their consistently high-quality, inspired craft beers.

EPseja, Dec 30, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

First off, this is a very good-looking beer. Though there is no head, there is subtle lacing throughout the glass, and its color is a beautiful reddish amber. A bit of weak carbonation floats up from beginning to end, as well.

The smell hits me right after it's poured, hard to avoid. A strong resinous, almost marijuanaish aroma, which settles into a sweet red grapefruit smell after a few seconds. I love how the smell changes over time.

Taste is also of grapefruit, but more bitter than sweet. There's a definite alcohol kick too, this one does not hide the abv well. I am not particularly fond of grapefruit, but I can at least respect that 3F hit the intended taste perfectly.

This one takes a definite hit on mouthfeel, it's a bit watered-down compared to other DIPA's. A bit more syrupy feel would match the taste. Not much carbonation to speak of, either.

Another hit for drinkability. Maybe it's because I dislike grapefruit, but the combination of thinly masked abv and average mouthfeel make me not want to drink all that much of the Dreadnaught. Dogfish Head 90-minute is much more drinkable and at least leaves me wanting another glass. Gotta give 3F props for the phenomenal smell, tho.

furbs, Dec 28, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was shopping at Whole Foods in Columbus, when I found 5 22oz. bombers of this gem for $8.99 each. Nevertheless, they came home with me. Upon popping the cap, a blast of ruby-red grapefruit aroma hits your nose. Poured a hazy rosy red/orange hue with a frothy white head. Allowing it to sit for a several minutes, the aroma was some intense my cats followed the glass everywhere I placed it. Lovely smell of grapefruit tree(heavy hop), followed by a sweet hint of fruity alcohol. The flavor took me by surprise. Clean, crisp, medium to full body with a bitter sweet beginning that ends with a fizzy, moderate alcoholic feel and long heavy sweet acidic aftertaste. In all this brew rocks. It really reminds me of drinking fresh squeeze rudy red grapefruit, it even leave a nice tart and sticky feel on your lips. Folks, if you can find this brew. BUY IT! It worth the money. Enjoy.

GimpyCane, Dec 24, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Found a 22oz? bottle at a great bar called the Small Bar(Logan Square) in Chicago.

Great appearance with it's dark orange coloring, white lace that stays for a bit.

Fresh hops dominate the nose, accompanied with Citrus/orange rind, and a fresh outdoor woodsey odor.

The taste is near perfection, if you love double IPA's as I do. Smooth, creamy, nice light carbination mouth feel.
Hops are beautifully pungent, but balenced. Citrus ending is refreshing with a nice bitterness at the end. The alcohol is warming, but not overwhelming.
If you don't try this beer....well... I won't really do anything....just try this beer anyway you will thank me.

Save your pennies .... this stuff is not cheap...but well worth it.

brushpig, Dec 22, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

when i first craked this and smelled it, i could of sworn i smelt marijuana, i was once told that hops and marijuana are in the same family of plants. Besids the point, great brew, reminded me alot of the goose island Imperial IPA, the taste of the thick almost syrup like hoppiness, but at the same time sweet finishing, is to die for. if you havent tried this, do it.

sman262, Dec 20, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

This is my fourth or fifth bottle and after the first one I wanted to try it again since the first time I tried it I was unimpressed. I thought maybe it was off for some reason so I asked for three bottles in a trade to try it fresh and then aged a year or so.

After all five bottles I remain unimpressed. It is a good DIPA with all the pine and citrus with a caramel/malty backbone and long dry bitter aftertaste. In a blind tasting this would be in the middle of the pack. Is it the best DIPA in the world? There is no way.

lou91, Dec 18, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

This was one of the first double IPAs I ever tried, many years ago, and I haven't tried it since (unavailable where I live). Bring it on!

Flat, cask-conditioned vibe, with low carbonation, a soft head, and chewy body with slight sweetness and stickyness; heavy stuff. The thickness of the malts are apparent by looking into this hazy amber ale. It's not quite too thick, though- just perfect for the style and strong enough for the alcohol and the hops to lean on. Great hop character; it's right up front and fades away to pure bitterness. Much like white grapefruit, including the rind. Reminiscant of sharp cheddar. High alpha resins all over this beast.

Via trade with zrrbrrt. Cheers!

rayjay, Dec 16, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks, shbobdb, for the bombers of this fine brew!

This beer pours a deep orange amber color with a sticky foam head. Lacing remains all the way down the glass.

The first smell that hits you with this beer is a strong grapefruit aroma, followed by some pine and cut grass. No shortage of hops here!! A fairly strong alcohol presence is also noted in the smell.

The part of the taste that stands out for me is how much malt backbone there is with this beer. Huge amounts of hops are obvious, but they are balanced equisitely by a strong, malty flavor that compliments the hops. The beer reminds me of ruby red grapegruit juice that has added sugar.

The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with a smooth carbonation and a crisp finish.

This beer is extremely well balanced. I'm not a hophead by any means, but this beer could convert me. An excellent offering by Three Floyds.

doppelmeup, Dec 10, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

22 oz. from Lone Hill in Glendora.

Appearance: Pours with no head. Lacing is also fairly non-existent and spotty. However, the body: A beautiful dark honey amber. Transluscent as all hell: copper, gold, carrot orange, etc. One of the most beautiful colorings of any beer I've ever seen, hence the rating.

Smell: It took me a while to pinpoint an aroma I was getting out of this, and I kid you not, it is that of oil. Not any particular oil, but oil. A testament to how many hops are in this thing. Indeed, it is hoppy. Citrus: grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest. Mango. Kiwi sweetness. Deep washes of beautiful pine. So many hop aromas, in fact, that it almost lends a spicy quality to the overall beer. Sort of reminded me of the taste of dried, chile-coated mango slices I get from Trader Joe's on occasion in that sense. My nose could pick out no particulars of the malt backbone, just that it was there, barely supporting the weight of the hop juggernauts it is forced to carry. Slight alcoholic sting in the nose, as well. Amazing.

Taste: Mango, a little pineapple, pine, grapefruit, on a massive, massive scale. A slight alcoholic rise through the nose and warmth upon swallowing. Not quite as impressive as the nose. The alcohol actually muddles the hop flavors a bit, but I've seen worse. Perhaps the beer's only true fault is that - it does not hide its ABV as well as some other DIPA's, and the subtlety of the flavors suffer. Still, it is such an exemplary hop specimen in terms of the boldness and complexity of hop character it contains that I can't help but rate it highly.

Mouthfeel: A lower point of the brew for me. Not bad - it was perfectly chewy and very, very oily, like DIPA should be, but it was definitely undercarbonated. Still, the oily character I detected in the nose is so prevalent in the mouthfeel that I was forgiving.

Drinkability: I'm not sure why others here have said this was almost too much for them/it's impossible to finish a 22 oz bottle. It certainly is not something you drink lightly, but having tried other big DIPAs (YuleSmith, Stone 10th, Hopsickle, etc.), Dreadnaught does not go leaps beyond those beers in terms of overall strength. Getting away from that, it is a truly exceptional DIPA, as its rating would have you believe. The best? I'm honestly not sure. Some day I will have a side-by-side taste test of various highly-rated DIPA's, and edit my review accordingly. : )

RidiculedDisplay, Dec 08, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -15%

Sometimes when you go to a fancy restaurant, they give you bread with spicy olive oil that has been infused with chili or whatever. Thats prettymuch the color of this beer. It turns more orange and almost ruby when light strikes it a certain way. The racing carbonation forms a thick head like whipped egg whites that leaves a layered wall of lacing and it perfumes the air above the glass with what may be one of the most pungent and simultaneously inviting aromas of any beer ever. I would describe it as sweet, deeply resinous, and a thick, sticky, drippy blend of honey, mango, peach, and grapefruit, with prickly pine notes in the background. I also get some grape aroma, curiously I can not make up my mind if we are talking red or white though. Deep quaffing of the beer actually pricks and tickles the back of my throat with an odd sensation.

Despite all the hop build-up in the nose, the taste begins sweet and floral, then goes resinous with any pine still lurking in the background before the bitter creeps on and introduces a swirl of grapefruit, solvent-like alcohol, a deeper pine tone, and a dark, hot, spiciness which is backing a possible caraway seed character. The beer warms a bit more and I start to hear from sugary malt but this is countered by the development of salty hop aftertaste. The aftertaste definately sticks with you (literally) and morphs as you drink this anywhere from resinous and sticky to wispy perfume and booze.

At some point, either the beer warms up, the alcohol begins to affect me, my palate just gets numbed to the bitter, or some cobination thereof takes place and I have a different beer on my hands. Instead of the tumultuous touge-rodeo of the first tastes, I now have a more fluid blend of resinous hop bitter, sweet malt, hot spice and booze, and a perfume of hop florals. In other words, this eventually started to taste like a just above average 2IPA.

The mouthfeel on this beer is quite literally sticky. I have never had such a sticky beer in my life. My lips stick together, my fingers are sticky where a little dribbled down the glass, just smelling it made my throat feel sticky, and it coats the mouth in an amazing way, unless you bust out some cheese or something, you'll be tasting this for hours after your last sip. This might be hop head's dream but i personally found it a bit off-putting. The mouthfeel got more pleasant toward the end but I think thats only because I started eating food to help me get this guy down, which brings me to drinkability.

If this beer has one key downfall, it is definately drinkability. Anyone who wants to drink an entire bomber of this either A) Is a smoker B) Feels like he has something to prove C) Loves hops at the expense of anything close to balance. Don't get me wrong, this is an interesting and relativley well-made beer, but I would much rather pay for a single or 6 pack of ponies than 10 bucks for a bomber most will struggle to finish.

My final thoughts... I can wrap this brew up in one word, "RESINOUS". The reviews I read of this one had lead me to expect a fairly piney brew. While it does have its coniferous qualities, it is much less that fresh, evergreen, Christmas-tree, vibe than a big 'ol gob of sap and pine tar. I rate this beer the way I did because I respect its complexity, and it pretty-much delivers what it promises, but its not really my style. I know what I'm about to say is BA heresy but sometimes folks, big beer is just gross beer. You can go too far, and I think Dreadnaught really walks the line. While I respect that, I don't think I'll buy it again.

JudgeRoughneck, Dec 04, 2006

Poured a bright yet cloudy medium copper hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell was upfront heavy caramel malt with a secondary oily hop.

The taste consisted of a strong caramel malt with a solid, yet secondary spicy resiny hop. Very good toasted grain and orange sweetness at the finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a mild warming alcohol.

Overall a nice malty DIPA. Not as hoppy as I was expecting. Complex flavor profile nonetheless. Thanks to orbitalr0x for sending this my way.

plaid75, Dec 02, 2006