Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,764
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

I have been trying to get a Dreadnaught for sometime and was able to get a hold of one at a Mirco - Six pack shop. My expectations were very high and I was worried I'd be dissapointed. It poured a nice copper color with a orange tint and a nice white head. The aroma is awesome and powerful. Hops, Hops, Hops. I waited all day for this taste and it was more than I expected. Super hop flavor just exploding in your mouth with a surprisingly smooth finish. Not real bitter, just right. I being a hop head could drink this all night and everyday, but it is a special beer and needs to be reserved for special occasions. The best beer I ever had!

brewnut11, Apr 13, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to highclassdrinker for this one. I think I came out on the good end of this trade.

This poured out a lovely glowing amber, with a half finger head made of large bubbles that subsided rather quickly. Over a short period of time the head disappeared completely... that's the only thing I found detracting about the appearance.

Aroma was rich pine and citrus hops, lots of hop resins, pineapple, and some firm medium malts underneath. Complex.

Taste... wow, how do I describe it? A hop bomb in my mouth! MAJOR bitterness, huge pine and citrus flavors, some pineapple, a firm malt backbone, and some long lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue after the swallow. Tremendous.

Mouthfeel was slick and a little oily, quite chewy, a little astringent. Really good.

Drinkability is excellent. I could have another... not easily, but I'd be willing to try.

connecticutpoet, Apr 12, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a nice, deep orange with a small head that goes away fairly quickly. Leaves thin rings of lacing. Aroma is fresh floral, grassy hops. Taste....yummm....delicious. Grassy, citrus hops shine through every sip. A little piney as well with just a tad of sweetness before the slight alcohol sting kicks in. Full bodied and a bit slick from the hop oils. Excellent brew. I could drink this one...and another...and another....

Imstillthegman, Apr 11, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

I have to start by thanking David from The Publick House for hooking us up with this beer. Thanks dave. :-) (from Paige and Tanya as well)

This beer poured a peach colored amber/orange body with a small white head.

Nose was in your face. Waves of fruit, big citrus peel and intense resiny hops. Slightly floral and overall just very inviting.

Medium to full bodied. An oily hop resin swims in ever wave of this beer. Very fruity hops; oranges, peaches, apricots, lemons, limes, mangos. Dare I say, a fruit cocktail of fruit flavors. Very bitter from start to finish, never so overpowering as to be annoying, but this ain't short on hop bitterness. As for malt, it's a bit bready, almost in a wonder bread type softness. A slight touch of caramel sugary sweetness as well. Alcohol is present but really only adds a touch of warmth. Ends with a long lingering bitterness.

Right up there with Great Divides Hercules DIPA as one of the best hop monsters out there. Not sure which I like better, but... just an amazing beer.

taez555, Apr 09, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Looks a non-transparent orange with little head and some sticky lacing. Smell is great. I could smell the piney hops with the glass still sitting two feet away from me. After getting a little closer to my nose, I picked up some sweet fruity malts and those blended perfectly with the abundance of hops. Taste is excellent. I'm usually not a piney hop fan, but Three Floyds pulls this off with perfection. The malts are also kicked into overdrive, and like the smell, blend perfecty for a great taste. Mouthfeel is nice, but I feel it would have been helped with a little more carbonation. Other than that this is a full, chewy beer that I'd kill to be able to purchase locally in Northern California. We here on the West Coast like to claim that we are kings of the hopped brews, but Dreadnaught reminds us that there are breweries in the Mid West that can easily make the same claim. Wonderful job guys. It has been a pleasure to drink this ale.

SethB2, Apr 09, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz bomber.

Clear amber in color with a thin off-white head. Strong, lovely aroma of grapefruit, lemon, and sticky, piney, layer upon layer of hops.

Wow. I mean, wow. Bright, piney hops, super, super hops, citrusy, sticky, and wonderful. This is freakin' awesome - that's all you need to say.

RockyTopHeel, Apr 08, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

It’s all been said about this one hasn’t it? I’ve been pondering what I could add for several days but I’m drawing a blank accept to say that his beer lives up to the hype. I am no hop head, but Dreadnaught works on a level beyond its insane IBU. It is crafted so cleverly as to be one of the most balanced and drinkable beers I have put to my lips. For a beer with these ABV and IBU ratings to be so stable and equalized in every way is astonishing to me.

I once saw a John Clease documentary called “Face,” which contended that humans define beauty in one another based first and foremost on symmetry. If that is the case then Dreadnaught is the Elizabeth Hurley of beers. It is perfectly symmetrical in every way. Each quality is proportional to the next.

In the aroma, notes of bristlecone pine, juniper, mountain flowers, sage, and nearly every citrus fruit imaginable all come together defining the Double IPA aroma. Taste is shocking, for the full force of each individual aroma assaults the tongue with the power of a platoon of trebuchets. The citrus, sweet at times, is controlled by bitter hops, and vice versa as they both steer the overall direction of the beer toward shear bliss.

As I was drinking the Dreadnaught the other night I began to humming a tune. Until my girlfriend said something, I didn’t even recognize what I was humming. It was an old Fred Astaire song, “Heaven, I’m in Heaven…” That’s what the Dreadnaught did for me.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 07, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber. Poured cold into pint glass. Small, good retaining head.

Smell is very floral, fruity.

Taste immediately hits you with the hops. Almost a perfume of bitterness and alcohol. Malt presence is their, just not very detectable.

Mouthfeel is thick , good carbonation.

Drinkability is alright for something this aggressive.

shroompod, Apr 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with a bubbly light beige head; retention is not great and there isn't that much lacing

Smell: Tremendous Cascade presence with a very piney resinous aroma that has citrus and mango touches as well

Taste: Starts with a sweet and piney flavor; after the swallow, some serious bitterness kicks in, with subtle hints of mango, apricot and citrus fruit; the finish has some residual sweetness to it but the bitterness wins at long last

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy; with plenty of carbonation; warming alcohol wafts up after the swallow

Drinkability: Powerful and challenging, this is one fine Imperial IPA

Thanks, alaskaiscold

brentk56, Apr 01, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Pours a hazy golden with a creamy off white head. Head fades but produces some quality lacing. Has a great hoppy aroma of citrus and spruce. A nice medium body with good carbination. Has a slick texture. A big duration with a great finish.This is a solid beer. Very hoppy and robust. Really sits on the tastebuds for some time. Has a strong bitterness that starts slow and revs up to a wonderful ending. This is real good stuff, I wouldn’t recommend a 12 oz bottle, you’ll just want more.

Birdiebeagle, Mar 31, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Bright and cloudy reddish orange with a large tiny-bubbled head which ultimately falls to a thin table and solid ring. Smell is citrus with smoked almonds backing it all up. The taste is a creamy hit of hops and oils. There is an alcohol burn that starts midway and peaks in the finish. This has a great mouthfeel, quite full for such a hop monster. I can finish a bottle, but anything more might be overkill.

pentathlete, Mar 31, 2006

Good three finger head that eventually receded into one and lingered until the end, with thick lacing - Nice hazy, orange - copper hue, expected IPA standard, poured from 22 oz. bomber. Nose of citrus- specifically grapefruit ad infinitum!! - A little bit of the malt playing the strong silent type in its backbone role was occasionally asserting itself -only to have grapefruit take center stage, as well as left and right !! Very inviting to us hopheads!! This is exactly how it tasted as well - grapefruit all over the place, on top of the caramel malt backbone , and more grapefruit again. Smooth mouth with moderate carbonation, went down very easy wtih thick hop oil coating left behind. I like this a lot, and find it easy to drink - excellent ale !!

ultralarry2006, Mar 30, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

22 FL OZ
No dates

This has been a favorite of mine ever since I found it in PA and MD. Now its time to review.

Appearance – 2.5-finger thick, billowy white head that has reasonable life; rather clear amber/orange body with long-lasting and light, rising carbonation; lace is marginal

Smell – a full notch below DFH 90 Minute IPA in quality but still pretty damned good; pine, grapefruit, table sugar, take a whiff immediately after pour and the hop scent is so pure; wait until the body is nearly exposed to pick up more malts and even more hops

Taste – what an interwoven mesh of brash, searing hops and sugar-on-a-pink-grapefruit sweetness; its as if there’s a heavy, sugar-coated pink grapefruit sitting on a chest and holding a multitude of unruly hops at bay; of course it loses; well-concealed ABV

Mouthfeel – elegantly oily with gentle carbonation; alcohol and hop dry the palate at close

Drinkability – for a beast of an IPA, it’s a joy

Every sip is an adventure. The ticket is steep but the ride is worth it.

Wonka, Mar 30, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is wonderful beer. It stands right up therewith 90 minute and the Pliny twins, which are my bellweathers for DIPAs. It looks like a ferrari, smells like apple pie and tastes like the your first kiss. Ok, not exactly, but it is a stunner on all counts.

Gives off a great 1-1.5 finger head, copper colored body and plenty of lacing all the way down.

Tastes like a dream. Like drinking hop oil from the hop. It is a big bold beer that would overwhlem the uninitiated, but is the type of beer that every hop head dreams about at night. There is a much more substantial malt backbone in this beer that adds a touch of sweetness you don't typcially find in a DIPA.

NolanGTI, Mar 28, 2006

Poured from large Three Floyds bottle into a wine glass. Deep copper color (very clear) thin head.

The smell is of course hoppy, as is the taste. I suspect that Three Floyds uses the same hops or blend of hops in all of their beers, except maybe the Pride & Joy. I can taste the hops for hours afterwards.

Very nice but a little over-rated for my tastes. Pretty pricy too. I couldn't accurately give it a score above 4.

TurdFurgison, Mar 24, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

A hazy honey-orange as it bounds into my glass.. A drity off-white head is nice and foamy, and just under one finger..

Even before I go for the nose, I can smell this one. It;s a nice fruity hoppiness. Sort of a combo of fresh orange and hops. Reminds me of the smell of the hop freezer at the homebrew shop where I once spent my Saturdays in exchange for ingredients.

Flavour is all about the hops. This time, its a piney hop quality. There's a clear sweetness under it, but no real malt flavour that I can detect. The finish is clean and still plenty bitter. If you want a hop bomb, crawl out of your shelter. It's not so bitter it'll curl your toes, but the hop flavour is clear, present, and clean.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect. Exactly the consistency I like, not overly carbonated, and it's not oily on top.

Drinkability? Let's just say there's enough floor space at Three Floyds, that I could probably move in pretty easily.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Mar 23, 2006
4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to BA Thetachibro for the sample.

Split a bomber with Thetachibro and our buddy Ryan.
Poured into a Brooklyn snifter glass.

A - Pours a great reddish golden golden color with an awesome one finger white head. The head thins but stays.

S - A big hop smell. Mix of some floral and some citrus with a nice biscuity taste. Some sweet sugary malt influence.

T - Some nice hop bitterness up front with sweet malts as well. Great taste with the hops leading but the malts making a big presence known.

M - Very nice. A well carbonated beer for a DIPA.

D - A hop bomb but for me that equal a lot of drinkability. If these are the flavors you're after then this is a very highly drinkable beer.

EStreet20, Mar 21, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz bomber

At first I was very excited to see this in Maryland, but after seeing the $12 price tag my enthusiasm waned. So I just pretended I was at a bar or better yet a concert or sporting event and ponyed up the cash for the bottle.

Almost immediately upon opening, a huge pine almost pine perfume aroma. Pours a clear, golden/amber with a ½ inch head tan, medium bubbles. Again, the aroma is huge pine hops. A perfect translation into the aroma of the beer, what I smell when sticking my face in a bag of fresh whole hops. Taste is the resinous pine from the aroma with a hint of candy sweetness fighting its way in. Great mouthfeel. The aroma just does not die. It lingers to the last sip. The aftertaste is long, smooth and bitter.

I balked at the $12 price tag, but I’m glad I decided to grab this one. Just about perfect IIPA. Because of the price, I could not drink this one everyday but great for a good kick in the teeth IIPA every once in a while. Just make sure it is around payday.

sacfly, Mar 20, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +5%

Tons of thanks to WarriorSoul for this one. . .

Pretty nifty 22 oz bottle. It’s not normal. . .or so it says.

Pours into my trusty stone pint glass. Not as dark as I expected, but still looks amazing. Orange-Amber, semi opaque, substantial amount of bubbles dancing towards the head from the bottom of the glass. Approx ¾ - 1” white head. Definite lacing action, but nothing major. I can’t get over this smell. . .

Nose is utterly astounding. . .sweet, fruit-candy, floral, hops. . .I can’t stop smelling it. . .

Not as complex as I expected. . . but simply amazing. Sweet, orange-strawberry. Not much that I can sense outside of that. A twang of banana? Very fruity and flowery, I can say that much with confidence. Super-smooth. . .I could drink this all night and still want more. Not the slap-in-the-face hop bomb that I expected. . .but it’s simply amazing.

9.5% ABV?! You can’t be serious!! Alcohol is completely masked in the nose and the mouth. This is one amazing beer. I think I can now appreciate the term “session beer”.

I think I expected too much from this beer. It wasn’t anything I expected it to be, but everything that it is was a pleasant surprise. . .it’s insanely tasty, and utterly drinkable.

WaffleSauce, Mar 17, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -43.8%

A: Pours a clean and clear golden with orange tints. A small head quickly subsides, leaving no lacing.

S: Smells like all kinds of vegetal stuff - grass clippings, pine needles, lettuce, and celery.

T: Tons of hop flavor and bitterness in this all the way through the taste. Very intense vegetal flavors (pine and celery), as well as a touch of orange and citrus. If I were to decide to lick a pine tree one day, I think it would probably taste a little like this.

M: Full-bodied and extremely thick and heavy. Subtle carbonation lets the flavor come out

D: This is the least favorite of the DIPA's that I have tried. The vegetal flavors are too overwhelming, and although I don't consider the taste to be bad, I have a feeling that I'll be sick of it by the time I'm done with the bomber. I'll add this to the list of overhyped and overpriced beers that I've had this week.

(Edit: It turns out I got sick of the taste before I even finished my first pour. Every sip tasted worse, and it seems like it is not a bad bottle. I originally scored taste and drinkability higher, but dumping an $8 bottle of beer is cause for me to rate it lower.)

klewis, Mar 17, 2006

My favorite style of beer is any variation of an IPA. I have had a LOT of IPA's/Imperial (double) IPA's, and I must say that I have NEVER had a beer of this style taste better than Dreadnaught! This beer is so much in a league of its own. I love the grapefruit flavor to this beer. I am not sure what these folks use for hops, but I am guessing maybe Cascade, Amarillo, or Nugget. Take a whiff of this beer! I can't get over how floral it is. This is such a gem. The closest beer I have had in flavor to this one lately of a similar style is Troeg's Nugget Nectar, but this Dreadnaught would still take top prize in my book! Grab a bottle! Cheers!!!

bubbapit, Mar 16, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to Bigs for the bottle.

Poured into a pint glass, this outstanding brew pours golden orange with an out of this world aroma. Scents of orange rind, fresh hops, flowers, fresh hops, coriander and fresh hops abound throughout the start of this funky Imperial IPA. The tag line on the bottle reads "It's not Normal" and man is that right. It's not normal that a beer can be this good. It's rich, powerful, not overly heavy but round and clean on the finish. At 9.5% alc.it packs a punch, but I could see myself downing four of these in a night, all right.

MattBrooks, Mar 15, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bottle, Riley's...been wanting to try this for a very very long time

appeareance: another glorious FFF label...pours a clear tangerine-amber, a very luscious colour. a wonderful frothy white head forms and leaves quite a nice amount of lacing

smell: the cap comes off and the aromas just explode...absolutely fantastice. pungent floral hops come pouring out. magnificent citrus aromas dominated by fresh juicy grapefruit, sweet orange, apricot, tangerine, pine resin abundant

taste: follows through on the sensational aromas...the juiciest dipa i have ever come across. explosive citrus hops - grapefruit, grapefruit, orange, apricot, grapefruit, and some more grapefruit....heavy sweet caramel malts tie it together. fresh pine, hop bitterness, slight alcohol warming. A cream of the crop dipa

mouthfeel: juicy, slick and super oily, medium-full body, wonderful

drinkability: its a big beer, but its so f'ing good

dirtylou, Mar 15, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +2%

I'm often skeptical of a review that has the same score, across the board. This one happens to be very good, with respect to EVERY category (some pushing exceptional).

A: Golden-bronze, pours with an abundance of fluffy white head, decent retention, great lace.

S: Plenty of American hops. Pine, grass, floral and a hint of citrus.

T: Predominantly American hops. But there's not too much citrus, it's a pleasant blend of pine & grass, with a little spicyness as well. The alcohol content is remarkably well hidden, with only a hint of sherry-like fruity alcohol flavour.

Initially I was surprised by a sweet caramel flavour (43F fridge), but as it warmed up, the bitterness started to kick in. I agree that 50-55F should be the appropriate serving temperature. I'm generally not a temperature Nazi... but with this much bitterness (DIPA's in general), it's VERY important.

M: Body is on the heavy side of moderate, slightly creamy, with some prickly acidity. Carbonation is moderate.

D: I like it a lot. The hop flavour is IN-YOUR-FACE, and hops aren't for everyone, but that's the DIPA style, there's really a pleasant blend of flavours here (nothing really overwhelms, or smacks you in the face). Only the alcohol content (and perhaps price) inhibits the "Chug-ability".

Thanks for picking this up Dave!

Derek, Mar 14, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - it pours a perfect amber color, with a nice off-white head that dissapated rather quickly. It also left very little lacing.

S - Strong aromas of pine needles, and a pink grapefruit note that turns to a pear/vineous smell. Very easy on the nose.

T - The sweet grapefruit juice taste hits you right up front then turns into a smooth piney flavor that warms the middle of the tounge. The malt is in there, but it is tucked so far back that it is only noticeable as it warms up.

M - There is some slight carbination on the middle of the tounge as its in your mouth but as it swallowed it turns into a creamy chewy absolutely dangerous feeling of wonderment that is most pleasurable for this style of beer.

D - For this style of beer ( being a Double IPA ) I couldnt ask for anything more from a beer. To a hop head this was the most enjoyable experience I have ever had. But since it is such a high ABV% it is a once a night thing. Or take it easy with the knowledge that this beer can do some damage and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

quasimoto, Mar 08, 2006